Dreadlords The Anniversary of Freedom

Threads open to all members of the Dreadlords group
Oh, it's good to be home. Too bad this home made him want to puke. The revolution had been such a disappointment for Raphael. They had removed all the fun parts of Vel Anir, and the worst part, they had not even invited him when it came to doing all the killing. How rude!

He would give them credit for one thing, it seems the place had learned how to throw a proper party while he was gone. A young woman walked by carrying a tray of mugs and Raph casually snatched one up.

"Thank you, dear." Ignoring her protest, he continued on his way while chugging down the beverage. He would have to make sure he had more fun later...speaking of which. Who did his eyes behold in front of him?

"Oh, if it isn't little Zana, the Butcher of Vel Anir! How is it you always get the fun nicknames?" Raphael yelled out with a large grin as he marched up to Zana ignoring her "bodyguard" Landon.

Landon Zana

Everleigh was rather tempted to go and kick Drastus, and she would’ve playfully done so if Ryan hadn’t come up behind and hugged her. Everleigh felt her cheeks get hot, her body stiffening for a moment before relaxing a bit when she looked down and noticed the taller girl’s hands. Well. It was okay if Ryan hugged her.

For a moment, Everleigh stood there, bringing her hands up to her cheeks and lightly patting them, trying to get that blush to go down. She had given herself the title “the poison eater” for a reason! People feared her! If they got too close to her they could die! People didn’t just come up and hug—

Hi, Liza.” Everleigh said softly, feeling her cheeks get red again as Liza hugged her. The initiate even put one arm around her in a half-hug, feeling shy for doing something so… Everleigh didn’t know what word described this sensation! Since when had she become less intimidating? Strangely enough, Everleigh didn’t feel a need to fix that.

But what did Everleigh need to fix? Henk being a bump on a log, sitting down at a table all by himself. What a gentle giant. You’d think after their fun vacation in Cerak At’thul that he would’ve learned a thing or two from her and Zael. Time for remedial lessons on how to have fun.

Guess who!” Everleigh said, still mimicking Zael’s accent and deepening her voice, as she did her best to sneak up behind Henk and cover his eyes with her hands. “It’s me, yer favorite friendly fellow initiate.

Henk

The Prince allowed at least some semblance of amusement in the form of a husky laugh. "This is true. Thank you, My Lady, for joining me in my misery." he rumbled by her ear as their chairs were pulled out for them and he took her hand as a gentleman would, and kissed her knuckles as a husband should.

They sat, and no sooner than his cup was filled with fresh wine, it in his hand and drawn to his lips. It was from Oban, it was the best wine in all Arethil, but he took no time in appreciating it. People were already gathering in front of the guards to call out their greetings and steal a look at the Lady on his left. Lynus cleared his throat and lifted his cup in acknowledgement to them.

"Festum Libertatis!" some of them called.

"Festum Libertatis." the Prince replied, with wine and a dry smirk on his lips..

Last edited:
It had been a year since the revolution, a year since everything changed and nothing changed. the revolution was a failure in the eyes of Draven. Dreadlords might not be under the direct control of the nobles but they just handed the leash to the guard, something they had their claws into already.

As for the 'Republic', those elected are the ones with money something nobles have in heaps, they still had power, something they didn't deserve. Despite this hollow celebration, it was still a celebration and he was going to do one thing and that was getting incredibly drunk and maybe making some money gambling.

He was wearing his classic look of gambeson though this one was a more expensive one, one made for these kinds of events, he particularly liked this kind of blue, it was quite distinctive.

Kristen waved to the new arrivals of Drastus and Ryan. Ryan she didn't know very well. No, not very well at all. In more recent times she'd been regaled of the queer story of Cen'ahir, wherein the "mission" had in fact been a mission of relaxation, at a beach no less, and Ryan (lucky!) had been a part.

She was about to say something to Alistair, but she heard a loud yell (originating from one Raphael the Red). It was made somewhat indistinct over the general din of festive and celebratory conversation and cheers and laughing. None of the exact words graced her ears in their fullness, but she could have sworn...could have sworn...that she heard someone say the name of Zana. Her heart perked for a bit and she glanced around, standing on her tip-toes, but the street was so bustling with people from all walks of Anirian life that she couldn't spot anything of note. Ah...mayhap overeager ears hearing a name that was, to be rather frank, likely to be said and shouted on many an occasion today.

"Oh. 'Twas nothing," Kristen said to herself.

As Liza likewise joined their group and Zael continued to be Zael, Kristen gave a thought as to where she ought to go in the city. Surely there were going to be a lot of splendid attractions! There were bound to be games and shows, of course, but Kristen wanted to see the sights. The Houses were sure to be putting on lavish celebrations up and down the streets, Vel Aerelos was likely to be a splendor to behold, and she heard that the Royal Family might be making an appearance!

Oh, and of course the food!

Ryan Ashford Alistair Krixus Drastus Tal'deneshaar Liza Newcastle Everleigh Ebersol Theadora Cloud Henk

Zael flashed Drastus a broad smile and an obscene hand gesture after his comment. The worst part of this whole bet was giving everyone the opportunity to take all those free shots and yuck it up over him "upgrading" his accent. But he had to stick with it. In a matter of days he'd be back to his natural self. You know, after he won the bet.

And there was little Liza.

"Liza," Zael said, finally taking his arm off of Thea. "You just missed how Thea pummeled the shit out of a horrendous epidemic of chickenpox. She bent every sick person over her knee and spanked it right out of them--she told me so."

Zael didn't give Thea a smirk or a knowing look or nothing. Just slapped down that aggrandizement of her story and let it sit in the air with a satisfied lift of his chin.

A chin which was soon greeted by a considering hand to rub it. Zael gave some thought on where he outta go. Attractions would be plentiful, he reckoned. But fuck the stupid sights, a bunch of cheap mage from Elbion casting dumb displays of colorful magic to light up the air, get outta here. Zael was here for the games and the shows--the good shows, not the kiddie bullshit.

Oh, and of course the food! And brothels!

Ryan Ashford Alistair Krixus Drastus Tal'deneshaar Liza Newcastle Everleigh Ebersol Theadora Cloud Henk

Landon grumbled low in his throat but there was a small twinkle in his pale blue eyes that only Zana, Talus, or the kids could draw out. And that cursed wolf.

“If they give me a reason to, I will,” he muttered beneath his breath to the lady of the house. More than half this lot had hidden behind their doors when the attacks came. He didn't blame them for that. He of all folk understood what it was like to get caught between fighting magic users.

He did blame them for their mutterings now. Loving their cushy lives, not serving the country, and still complaining. And fuk these dress boots were pinching his toes.

His face softened a hair as she spoke. It was a Vel Anir he’d never seen before. He just hoped it lasted. And he had to wonder how long it would take for deeper change to settle among the people.

“I-,” mouth clamped down as some mook stepped forward. “Trouble?” He whispered and real casually loaded an arrow into the crossbow at his side.

Zana Raphael the Red

The ex-Dreadlord's boots came to a slow stop as Raphael approached. People begun to break around the group like a river against a rock, casting curious and concerned glanced in their direction. The people might have believed they were in a new world but the certainly hadn't forgotten the Gods that walked amongst them and the destruction they could bring.

Zana's nose crinkled at the other Dreadlord, not least because of the smell of liquor rolling off him.

"Some of us worked harder," she replied in a flat, monotone voice that seemed to come whenever she spoke to old colleagues. Unlike her husband Talus, Zana had been within the system far longer and it was a much harder habit to shake for her. Her fingers gently clamped on Landon's shoulder and gave it a gentle squeeze.

"Enough blood was shed on this day last year Landon, do not wet your arrows. I'm sure Raphael has another bar to go and find."

"Some of us worked smarter."

Raphael quipped back with a large laugh, perfectly fine with the attention they were gathering. This was the part he missed the most about Vel Anir, which was also the part being lost the most. People use to fear them like the boogymen that they are. They still do in part, but now people think they can look at them. Raphael could kill them with a twitch of his finger.

"What's with the rough welcome. Can't a man say hello to some old friends? Sorry, where are my manners? Names Raphael, Landon. Nice to meet you."

He spoke with a large grin on his face, but even his most sincere smile had a hint of menace to it. He held out his hand for a shake. If Landon accepted the handshake, then Raphael would have pushed the blood within Landon to pump quicker for just a burst of a second. It was completely harmless, but it had the effect of acting like a small shot of adrenaline. It was Raphael's favorite way to greet people.

"Where's the hubby, Butcher? Haven't seen him in a while."

Zana Landon

Landon didn’t relax from Zana’s touch. A quiet harumph at her comment, though. The woman could verbally spar as well as she could physically.

Landon also didn’t shake the man’s hand. Just gripped the loaded crossbow at his side. Finger hovering over the trigger but making no move to use it. Just one flick of his wrist and he’d send an arrow into this mook’s thigh.

But for Zana he’d TRY to behave.

Landon has been lucky in the guard. He’d fallen under Talus’ command. Others weren’t so lucky, used as fodder under the command of someone like Raphael. Goddamned punks.

Zana Raphael the Red

Henk had been hoping that maybe if he closed his eyes and rested his aching muscles that he could tune out the raucous festivities and perhaps by some miracle they would be over by the time he re-opened them. Not that he minded revelry; any occasion where he did not have to fight was a cherished reprieve. Still, it felt disingenuous to celebrate that which he did not support.

Any hopes that he had of ignoring the festivities were dashed as he heard one of the strangest drawls to ever meet his ears, a pair of hands covering his face. Whoever was talking was certainly trying to sound like the fiery Zael, but there was something... off about the impression. Maybe it was less the impression and more the hands on his face. Soft and small. Well, smaller than Zael's anyways.

"If you're going to imitate him, you could at least throw in a couple swears and offer to take me to a brothel." Henk said with a smirk. If it were the fire-bending initiate that the voice purported to be, he would have thrown an arm around his neck and nearly taken his head off in the process. "I appreciate you trying to include me Everleigh. Let it not be said you aren't sweet under all that sass." It was true, being stranded with the three of them had been a... learning experience... Henk was grateful it had happened.

Reaching up, he took her hands in his and gently moved them away, spinning around to face her. "It's good to see you. Have you been enjoying yourself so far?"

Everleigh Ebersol

Drast winked at Zael as he gave him the finger, even going so far as to blow his friend a kiss. Then Ryan and Liza came running up to hug or take over Evie's physical domain, Liza was probably jealous of Ryan and wanted to get in on the fun. He did not mind that one bit. "Hey Ry, Liza."

Then he watched as Evie went scampering off and shrugged. Maybe she had taken something. He didn't know, he was just jealous she didn't share.

He looked around and cursed.. was way too early for the brothels.. and everyone seemed to be preparing to separate. "Zael, tonight we are going to tear it up at the Lusty Leopard, but until then, I guess I'll see whats going on in the peegee department. Ry, Thea? What are you two ladies going to do?"

Zael Castomir Kristen Pirian Ryan Ashford Liza Newcastle Theadora Cloud

Elsewhere among the throngs and festivities...

d56e71abfb32bf3a0bd3970bfd48b2c7.pngA little bit overwhelmed and a lot bit lost, Chasmine had arrived to the festival in the same wagon as several other Initiates, but quickly found herself alone for the draw of the revelry. Though she was accustomed to being alone, rarely had it ever been among so many many people. The crowds were thick, the spirits were high, the stimulation of sights and sounds and smells and movement felt like a tidal wave of input.

For the warmth of the day, Chasmine had dressed in light, loose layers and pulled her long hair into a braid that had already begun to unravel. She did her best to avoid the major foot traffic, finding the chaos of densely-packed moving bodies to be quite suffocating, and instead skirted the perimeter of the alleys and streets and open walkways. She'd already lost sight of any single familiar face among the crowd, and found herself growing more aware of just how endless this city seemed to be. Despite her short comings as a warrior, though, she had been raised and trained by the Academy - and that upbringing did not fall short on survival teachings.

Stopping at a small street shop selling pastries and other treats, Chasmine peered over the display at the woman behind it, "Excuse me Miss? Might you tell me-" and paused as she failed to construct an appropriate ask.

The woman blinked impatiently at her while serving several customers at once, "Bit busy here dear, tell you what?"

A blink, Chasmine felt a small frown pull at her face, and gave the young child standing in line to her right a small glance, her eyes immediately drawn to the stuffed gryphon in his arms. It looked just like the one she'd been gifted from Ein, "Where did you get that?"

The small boy in line was just happily humming away, it was a great day for the Republic and an even better day for him. He had a stuffed gryphon!

And better yet, someone else noticed it too! He perked a toothy smile at Chas and pointed back the way he had gotten it. She would notice as he turned the thin line of a scar on his neck.

He would point with determination then, deciding that there were far too many people between him and the Gryphon's home, he would tuck his plush under his other arm and the newly freed hand would reach for Chas's.

Whether she took his hand or not, he would immediately hop away from the line in excitement, before guiding her through the tangle of people.

Chasmine

If Landon had gone to shake the other Dreadlords hand Zana might have said something. Or quite literally slapped the hand out of the air. Blood magic had always made her uneasy and it went hand in hand with Raphael's personality. Her jaw ground together even after Landon ignored the pointed handshake and her eyes turned to icy chips at the mention of Talus in such a casual manner.

"General," she reminded him pointedly. "Morrid is busy with other parts of the festivities," despite her obvious dislike her tone was light and pleasant. Luana had trained her well in the arts of politics.

"As I myself am, if you'll excuse me," she went as though to step around him.

Raphael's eyes dropped to Landon's finger which was precariously close to the trigger. His smile only widened as he looked up to meet Landon's eyes. "I'm just trying to be friendly. If you decide to pull that trigger then you better make sure you kill me or you'll be missing more than just a finger."

His eyes were still cold and his smile slowly began to drop, but it quickly returned and he began to laugh. "No, I'm just joking. We don't do stuff like that in the new Vel Anir. Right, Zana? That's what you fought for, right? A new Vel Anir where all the blood and torture is hidden in back rooms so people don't see it."

"Zana, I'm hurt that you will not stay and talk to a friend. After all, we had some pretty fun memories..."
His voice began to rise over the sound of the other festival-goers.

"Oh, the things that I could tell these people. The blood spilled. Those were the good ole' days."

Zana Landon

Thea exhaled when Zael finally lifted his arm, maybe he was worried she was still contagious? Whatever the case she could stand normally again. She paused when she heard someone say her name, turning to face them. She cocked her head. "Liza?"

A smile had just started to form on her face when the initiate engulfed her in a tight hug. "Oof!" She stared ahead, a bit bewildered by the warm greeting. But soon she smiled again and returned the hug, a short giggle escaping her when she heard Liza's rambling. "It's good to see you too! I haven't seen you since I graduated."

She'd only just opened her mouth to answer her questions when Zael oh so kindly decided to answer for her. She stiffened, her face going bright red. "Wha- I-I didn't- I n-never- I said no such thing!" she sputtered. "That wouldn't even..." Wait, why was she trying to refute him? He just said it to embarrass her.

She bit her lip and turned her head away to hide her now red cheeks. She cleared her throat. "I-ignore him. I haven't gone on a lot of assignments yet, they're having a hard time finding a mentor for me, not enough healers, apparently."

Dratus' comment (and subsequent question) gave her pause. What did she want to do for the festival? She hadn't given it much thought. "I don't know, maybe wander a bit, see the sights?" She glanced at the two boys suspiciously. "What are you two planning to do?"

Zael Castomir Liza Newcastle Drastus Tal'deneshaar Ryan Ashford

Ryan had barely removed herself from hugging Evie when Liza came over to hug the poison eater too. She would have knocked Ryan over if Ryan had moved any slower. She gave Liza a look as she stepped closer to Drast. It was not long before Evie was skipping off to make say hi to more Initiates.

She laughed at the plan that Zael had been voluntold for. She doubted that he would really refuse a good brothel visit though. Ryan shrugged when Drast asked what she was going to do.

"I feel like you forcing me to come to this means you have to deal with my sparkling personality all day," she answered with an innocent look.

The Royal Tent
Lynus Anireth | Amelia Pirian

Vel Anir was practically in a riot of cheer. Every street was filled with crowds. Every corner had more vendors than she could count. It was like nothing she had ever seen before, and in truth, she was very nearly swept up in the mirth of it all.

If it wasn't for a lifetime of disgust for the peasantry anyway.

Four guardsmen arrayed themselves around her as they walked through the street, though in truth most simply stepped out of her way without a single press. In her hand was clutched a small box made of walnut, arrayed with the seal of House Virak.

The small cadre made their way through the city streets, winding through Vel Anir until they found their intended destination. Elise could see the massive red tent standing out above the Crowd, the Royal Guardsmen arrayed around it to keep the commons at bay.

Slowly she stepped forward, one of the bodyguards who had been arrayed around her rushed ahead through the crowd.

The man shared a terse word with one of the Royal Guardsmen, whispering something and then drawing back as if in insult. Elise stared at the interaction, then stepped forward. She flashed a brief, if rather dark smile as she approached the man. "Do please step aside, Captain."

Her gaze flickered to the man's lapel. "The Prince and I are old friends, and I would so hate to say you kept us apart during such...celebrations."

She smiled pleasantly, and the man seemed to turn his head back for a brief moment. Then without a word he stepped aside, making a gap wide enough for Elise and her men to step through. Elise flickered another placid smile to the man, then headed into the tent.

The guards around her fell back, remaining outside as she stepped through.

Her expression turned to ostensibly genuine warmth as she came upon the Prince. The box at her side clutched just that bit more tightly as she approached.

"Prince Anireth!" She called out, stepping forward and offering Lynus a short, but entirely within decorum curtsy. Her voice was honey, flowing without a single speck of effort."It's so lovely to see you again. I feel as though it has been ages."

As she rose Elise offered the walnut box to her host. "I brought you a gift, a celebration of this momentous occasion."

The Baroness stared with that warm smile, watching Lynus expectantly.

It was only then that her head turned ever so slightly, her smile never faltering, her expression never changing save for a slight hint of surprise. "Oh, Amelia."

She mused.

"What are you doing here?" Elise asked, perfect innocence in her voice.

Amelia and Lynus drank wine and made small talk under the shade of their tent. The man was growing on her every day and she was truly happy for the first time since returning to Vel Anir. She still had to leave though. This wasn't the life for herself and Kristen. They needed to get away before it was too late.

It was not long before Elise Virak made her gaudy and ridiculous looking way into their tent. Amelia almost groaned outloud but contained herself to the fakest smile ever. It wasn't that she hated Elise...she just thought she was the fakest bitch in the entire world.

Once Elise was done presenting the box to Amelia's husband, she turned to her with that sweet, innocent look everyone around her seemed to buy.

Amelia set her hand on the Prince's before she answered. "Oh, did the wonderful news skip House Virak? The Prince and I are betrothed."

What she wanted to say was the Prince and I are married but she held her tongue.

Lynus Anireth Elise Virak

Oh the palpable tension.

It was enough to make the most tenacious of men squirm and look for the safest escape route. Elise Virak now in the presence of his wife did that to him. His back was suddenly straighter, his shoulders firm with aching tension and that throbbing migraine at the back of his skull seemed to spread.

It seemed he was the only one who forgot to plaster on some insincere smile, and he thoughtlessly flustered as the box was presented to him. His voice seemed to turn to stone in his throat and he cleared it to force a polite greeting passed his lips with a dip of his chin. "Lady Virak." he replied gruffly, though he wouldn't comment on how long had passed since they'd last spoken.

He felt Amelia's hand on his own and turned to her with a smile, turning his hand into hers and lacing their fingers with a gentle squeeze. "It's true." he nodded, and looked back to the Baroness with a tight smile, praying to the Gods that she'd behave with some prudence. His steely gaze dropped to the box that'd been placed in front of him, and he had to shake his head at Arryn, his personal guard, who did not appear entirely happy about the gift not having been inspected beforehand.

"There was really no need for gifts, My Lady." he cleared his throat once more. "But as always, your generosity is most appreciated.".. That said, he made absolutely no move to open the box. He knew Elise, and he could predict that whatever was in that box was not going to be so appreciated by his wife.

Elise Virak Amelia Pirian

"Betrothed!" Elise exclaimed, seemingly overjoyed by the news. "How absolutely lovely."

The Noble's smile didn't slip for even a second, but a brief glance was spared towards Lynus. "I've been positively buried under the duties of running my house since Father's passing. Such news is just..."

She shook her head, as if lamenting the fact that she had missed the heralds. The expression didn't last however as she looked back towards the happy couple, focusing on Amelia.

"You must be positively bursting at the seams." Elise continued, staring at the . "Lynus is quite the catch, you should be very pleased, Amelia. You're really marrying up."

The soft smile never disappeared from her face as she spoke. Her eyes wandering up and down Amelia's dress before she turned her attention to Lynus. "Nonsense, My dear Prince. Had I known of this news I would have brought something even more grand."

She mused for a moment.

"A party is what we need, something separate from this...occasion." Her words soured for a moment, then she turned all smiles once more. "You must let me host your engagement party at my Spring Estate. I just had it reopened, and it's the perfect venue. We can invite everyone. Aisling, Jiya, maybe even little Ralene, everyone!"

THE OLD NEW WALK

The word "Old" being struck-through with a black line of paint on the tavern's hanging sign outside was what drew Elliot Aldmar inside. Just a small thing, but a curiosity brimming with potential. For Elliot had traveled a long way south to reach Vel Anir, a place that he knew only sparsely about save for its most salient facts. And this very celebration, the so-called Festum Libertatis, was why he was here.

He wanted to witness the results of the Anirians' Revolution. He wanted to hear the tales from those who partook, and he wanted to hear the opinions of those who now lived under it.

And, most importantly, he wanted to judge how such methods could possibly be adapted to bring similar revolutions to Oban and to Dornoch.

The politics of old Vel Anir were not important to him. Even the politics of new Vel Anir, to an extent. What remained the focus of his interest was that a successful Revolution had taken place, for better or for worse for the Anirian people. Obviously, the particular circumstances of Vel Anir differed from those of Oban, which differed from those of Dornoch. But there were common tools, common ideas and common means, to achieving the same goal: change. In this, Elliot kept an open mind. Was there something that he had not thought of? Something he had not considered? He had confidence in his grand plan for the fall of the oppressive Dornite and Obanese regimes, but he did not exclude the possibility that his plan could be improved, or that, in the light of a more promising and previously unbeknownst alternative, the plan could be discarded in favor of a better one.

And so here he was. In the New Walk tavern.

Currently, he was speaking with a tipsy old man who had speckles of ale clinging to his wiry, gray beard and who had one arm holding up his tankard and the other draped over Elliot's shoulders.

"Now you listen here, you gray-skinned mothafucker," said the old man, a sloppy grin on his face. "I served in the Guard for four years. Four years." He seemed to have forgotten his tankard, because he held up four fingers and in so doing dropped the tankard to the floor where the ale spilled everywhere. "This many."

"How many?" Elliot said, smirking. He was here with his purpose in mind, yes, but that didn't mean he couldn't have a spot of fun.

"This many!!" the old man practically shoved his four gangly fingers into Elliot's face. "Goddamn, I thought you lanky elves had good eyesight! Buddy o' mine heard you could eat an elf's eyes and that'd cure aging, blurry vision. There any truth to that, drow?"

"No," Elliot said. Then added, "But drow eyes give you night-vision."

The old man let out a long, raspy laugh and slapped his free hand against his thigh. "You better watch out now, Ellium! You say that too loud 'round here you're gonna get stabbed! Somebody gone try it!" The old man poked at Elliot's side jovially with a phantom knife. Then he seemed to notice that his drink was gone. "Aw, mothafuck—! Say, Ellium, you're the swellest drow I know, why don't you buy your ol' buddy Hartim another round?"

Elliot raised a hand and snapped his fingers to catch the busy barkeep's attention. Then, to Hartim, "Sure. Then you can tell me why you came out of retirement for the battle one year ago, yes?"

"You're goddamn right, Ellium! It was high time we showed them nobles whatfor! Lemme tell you..."

"You must be positively bursting at the seams. Lynus is quite the catch, you should be very pleased, Amelia. You're really marrying up."

Amelia continued to smile even though she wanted to sneer at the woman. Her jabs were the same as when they had been younger. She liked to play mind games and Amelia had never appreciated it. The Noble games were part of the reason she had left Vel Anir all those years ago.

"Oh don't I know it. The Princess of Vel Anir and a Dreadlord of Nobility both from House Pirian. It's so wonderful," she squeezed Lynus' hand with a smile.

She felt slightly bad for Kristen at that moment because there was absolutely no way in hell Amelia would be leaving Vel Anir. Not now. She supposed there were worse fates.

"Oh Elise, we would love that. That is so incredibly generous of you." Look, just because Amelia hated the game didn't mean she didn't play it. She played it just like every Noble in this city. "Wouldn't we, my dear?"

Amelia leaned over and kissed Lynus softly on the cheek at the same time she whispered, "I am so sorry."

Lynus Anireth Elise Virak

Lynus' lips remained drawn into that thin smile, but his gaze narrowed as he watched the Baroness. He might've been of the more oblivious sex but he knew at least a little about the mind games these females enjoyed playing. He was not being drawn into this. And he was never leaving the fucking keep again.

His gaze fell to that box again as the women spoke in that high pitched sound of forced elation, whilst their attention was on one another and not on him. His fingertips carefully unhooked the latch and pushed open the lid only slightly before he slammed it shut, his cheeks igniting with flushed heat at the contents.

He wished he'd told Arryn to take it, and the look he shot Elise was one far less appreciative than he'd earlier claimed. Games. Gods he hated games.

Amelia's agreement to the offer had his brows rise and then furrow. The Spring estate?! Of course she wanted to have it there. He'd been offered the place as a means of a weekend escape once before, and he was certain that Elise would relish the chance to tell Amelia all about it.

"Ah, no. No we would not." he replied, putting his foot down into a big pile of metaphorical shit. He'd claw it back as much as he could, but they would not be accepting the oh-so-generous offer. "You are as thoughtful as ever, Lady Virak, but we have celebrations planned here already. Invitations will arrive promptly, I'm sure." he nodded, shoving the box to the side. "But thank you."