Dreadlords The Anniversary of Freedom

Threads open to all members of the Dreadlords group
The Royal Tent
Lynus Anireth | Amelia Pirian

"A Dreadlord?" Elise mused on the words for a moment, and then her face flickered. "Oh! You mean Kristen."

She clicked her tongue. "Yes of course. Selene did always talk so fondly of her, she must be doing well in the Academy. My little cousin Liliana spoke enthusiastically about her abilities."

The expression on her face never changed as she spoke, though it lit up slightly as Amelia accepted her offer.

"Oh wonderful! I'll have Co-" Before she could finish speaking Lynus quickly cut in, rejecting the offer. Her face seemed to sag almost immediately, turning from a glowing smile to a pout as she shook her head.

"Oh come now, Lynus." Elise said, tripping into something more favorable than honorifics. "Plans can change."

She looked to Lynus. "You remember how lovely it is this time of year. The gardens, with the falls cutting through them? It would make the perfect location, much better than the shadowed halls of the Keep."

"You need to get out of this city. Both of you."
Elise glanced at Amelia. "Give your betrothed the party she deserves, Lynus."

Her face turned back to the Prince.

"I will take care of everything." Elise said with a wide smile.

"You remember how lovely it is this time of year."

Amelia's hand tightened on Lynus' and her smile thinned but she still hadn't jumped across the table to punch Elise in the face so she was quite proud of herself. Especially since Amelia was not a fighter. She would defend her friends and family if needed though.

"Well, the Prince has spoken, Elise. Perhaps we can throw something smaller here in the city without him. You do know how much he loathes parties."

Amelia did too but if it would appease Elise and get her the fuck out of the area for the remainder of the festival, she would commit to it.

The way Elise was so informal with him this last time and the allusion to him coming to her estate, Amelia wondered if she was the Noble that Lynus had once had a fling with. She would ask later even though she really didn't want to know.

She was his wife and she wasn't going anywhere so it was time for that bonding shit to happen.

Elise Virak Lynus Anireth

Everleigh frowned for a moment before shrugging. Really, more than anything, she was still adjusting to the idea of human touching. Touching others was far different than others touching her, mostly because she had yearned for both for so long, but for different reasons entirely.

She slipped her hands out of Henk’s as soon as she could and awkwardly gripped at her white linen dress in a nervous fashion. Her hands were clammy. Gross.

I’d tell yew what was goin’ on but that’s against the rules,” Everleigh said, a carefree smile appearing. “An’ I ain’t sweet, I’m poison.” She said pointedly, raising a dark brow over at Henk and then looked around as if she were searching for something. “Yep, thought so, yer just sitting’ here not doing much. I’m gonna have fun today, yew should, too.” Everleigh said. “Unless yew like bein’ by yerself?

Dang she was on a roll today with this Tarrow accent. Yep, she was gonna win that bet. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Henk

"No one cares, mate," he growled as he went to pass the dreadlord as well. That finger never leaving the trigger of his crossbow. But he kept it pointed toward the ground. For Zana. And he kept a healthy enough berth between himself and the boasting mook.

Landon had to wonder if Raphael was just drunk, high, or feeling a bit too pent up from not having been laid in a while. Perhaps a mixture of all three. Gods, he could really use a spicestick himself right about now.

Still. Landon remained with his knight face on. Alert and ready.

Zana Raphael the Red

GAMES GROUP

Drastus's intervention was the prompt that got Zael in motion. Yeah. Solid plan. Whenever on the ultra-rare occasion the Academy eased up and allowed its Initiates some breathing room to relax and have fun, only the idiots didn't partake. Correction: the idiots and the ones who just loved to beat their dicks with a brick. Zael was all about working hard, striving to be the best, but he was all about playing hard in equal measure—Edric and Noel could keep their bricks.

"It's a great day to ruin the family name, eh Kristen?" Zael said, tossing a few shadowboxing punches her way that struck the air just shy of her arm. Damn he really hated talking without his drawl. His own voice sounded fake and tinny to his ears. But fuck it, the bet was only for a week (or until he won). "Stick with me. It will be fantastic experience, I promise. Like the Punishment Game all over ag—"

"Actually!" Kristen said, just a little alarmed. "I am, um, very much of a mind with Theadora. Mayhap some light fun, but nothing so rowdy and raucous so as to—how did you phrase it?—ruin my family name. The sights shall be fine."

"Suit yourself." Thea set him up with the perfect question, and my, wouldn't you know, he'd love to answer it! Zael speared his chest with a thumb, raising his chin up with a self-sure gesture. "I will be after the real fun, the games and the shows."

And then generally to all gathered, he bellowed, "All aboard Zael's caravan of nonstop wins! Don't be afraid to live a little! Do you want to hear stories or do you want to be the story??"

Ryan Ashford Alistair Krixus Drastus Tal'deneshaar Liza Newcastle Everleigh Ebersol Theadora Cloud Henk

SIGHTS GROUP

"Actually!" Kristen said, just a little alarmed. "I am, um, very much of a mind with Theadora. Mayhap some light fun, but nothing so rowdy and raucous so as to—how did you phrase it?—ruin my family name. The sights shall be fine."

Zael was going to do exactly what he did in Vel'Yuna, wasn't he? Oh. Actually. Bad example. Regardless, he was certainly going to be engaging in no small amount of drinking and throwing himself at the wilder games and activities available at the Festival. Kristen wasn't looking for so intense an experience. She was excited, yes, but in the same breath she would say that she didn't want to leave a trail of destruction in her pursuit of an enjoyable time.

Liza was having quite the time hugging Thea, and once she was released it only made sense to make a proper introduction to the recently graduated Apprentice.

Kristen smiled to Thea and said, "Mayhap, since we are both seeking a calmer experience today, we should properly make one another's acquaintance?" She plucked at her dress and raised it up in a Lady-like curtsy. "My name is Kristen Pirian, and I am pleased to meet you Theadora."

Ryan Ashford Alistair Krixus Drastus Tal'deneshaar Liza Newcastle Everleigh Ebersol Theadora Cloud Henk

Onlookers murmured quietly at the thinly veiled threat and Zana paused to bring her hands slowly to her chest where she begun to crack her fingers on her right hand.

"Tell them," she replied calmly. She didn't need to raise her voice to be heard over the din with the simple spell she used to amplify it. With a dark half smile she turned to glance over her shoulder where she arched a brow at Raphael's momentary silence. "I'm the Butcher of Vel'Anir, Raphael. I'm the Dreadlord who murdered an Archeon," more silence grew. "I'm the Dreadlord who brought House Luana to its knees, I'm the butcher who cut off 100 of our brothers and sisters heads in one day and then took a bath in their blood.

Do you really think there's anything these people do not believe I haven't done already?"

Anything more would only add to the cult of personality that now surrounded her and make her a more powerful tool for the new Order to keep control. With a cold run of her eyes over the other Dreadlord before her she snorted then turned her back and stalked into the crowd which parted for her in a hurried fashion.

Raphael could only laugh in glee at Zana's exclamation. He then offered a wink to Landon as he looked around at all the fearful faces that took steps back. That's where he was wrong. Everyone cared, but only those that understood how this city really worked would say it out loud.

"There she is. It's good to finally see you Zana. I barely recognized you at first." He called out with a laugh as he watched her walk away.

He then turned to focus on Landon, all confrontation gone from his demeanor. "Better go catch up. I can't imagine you've got it easy."

Done with his fun, Raphael walked off into the crowd. He had acted that way mainly to see just how much Vel Anir had changed, but it had not changed much. It was just wearing new clothes.

Zana Landon

A muscle feathered in the Prince's jaw as Elise called him by his first name, and he winced as he felt Amelia's hand tighten on his own. His mouth was suddenly impeccably dry, and he reached for his cup to throw back the last mouthful of wine. It wasn't nearly enough, and the look he shot his cupbearer said as much. The young lad made to step forward with the wine, but was discreetly stopped by Arryn, who removed the jug of claret from the boy's grip and replaced it with water. Fucking water. His guard grinned, seemingly quite pleased with himself as the boy filled the Prince's cup, his hands trembling as he did so.

Lynus muttered to himself, resisting the urge to pinch the bridge of his nose as the ache spread. This day was very quickly spiralling into a shit show.

"It's my final word, Lady Virak. Once again, thank you for your kindness." he answered with finality, his gaze firmly locked with Elise in mute plea that she not make this day any worse.

Landon didn't stay to talk to the other dreadlord. At Raphael the Red's parting words, he did flip him the dreadlord the bird over one of his broad shoulders. Just as quickly he'd shadow Zana as they went deeper into the parting crowds. He'd been there. He'd fought alongside Zana and Talus. He had just as much blood on his hands.

He'd been lucky in that most in the guard had backed Talus.

He didn't have to kill as many of his brother and sisters in-arms as Zana and Talus had to kill. His finger finally eased off the trigger to his crossbow but he kept it loaded at his side.

"Whelp," he breathed next to Zana. "Bet that'll make the line to get your autograph all the more popular."

That confirmed Thea's suspicions, she didn't know about the rest of them but she had no intention of ruining any family names, humble as her own might be. Fortunately, someone else voiced an objection, the tall girl she'd seen earlier (who Zael said was named Kristen), whom she was now convinced she hadn't met before. She must've enrolled in the Academy after she graduated.

She contented herself with nodding along as Kristen spoke, it was easier than speaking up herself. All she contributed was a quiet "Yeah, I agree," at the end. Seeing the sights would be plenty of fun, and had a far lower risk of ending in being reprimanded. Although it would appear Ryan at least, might not agree.

Her lips parted slightly when Kristen addressed her directly, her eyes widening when she heard her surname. "Pirian? As in, from House Pirian?" The curtsy answered her question more than her words could. She stood still with a dumbfounded look on her face for a moment, before snapping out of it and scrambling to respond.

She performed a (far less graceful) curtsy of her own. "I'm Theadora Cloud, it's, nice to meet you!" She offered her most endearing smile in greeting.

Kristen Pirian Ryan Ashford Drastus Tal'deneshaar Alistair Krixus Liza Newcastle Everleigh Ebersol Henk

"Oh..." Elise said with a sigh. "I understand, My Prince."

The disappointment in her voice wasn't entirely false. She really would have loved to throw them a party, for more reason that one. Shaking her head gently Elise clicked her tongue, looking between the Royal Couple as she acquiesced to Lynus' demand.

She smiled and gently curtsied once more. "I apologize for my insistence."

Elise looked up at Lynus.

"I really must learn to listen better." Her head shook. "Perhaps I could do with someone teaching me a lesson..."

She offered a brief smile as she spoke.

The words lingered in the air for just a brief moment, and then before either of them could respond Elise cut in once more. "Amelia, you must at the very least allow me to show you the right Seamstress for your dress."

She now seemed to focus on Amelia entirely, as though Lynus had already been forgotten.

"You've been gone from home for so long." Elise told her. "And Madame Leniey is absolutely wonderful."

Amelia Pirian | Lynus Anireth

Amelia noticed that Arryn had switched out Lynus' wine to water and she knew he was about to get slightly more irritable than he already was.

Elise played the contrite subject quite well but Amelia was not buying it for a minute as she continued to hold her husbands hand in her own.

"I really must learn to listen better. Perhaps I could do with someone teaching me a lesson..."

Amelia narrowed her eyes slightly but she was unable to ask what Elise meant by that before the blonde had turned her attention completely to the Princess.

"Unfortunately, I cannot take you up on that as much as I would like to. My dress has already been commissioned and it is currently being made."

That was a lie. The Queen and Amelia had spoken about wedding details briefly but nothing concrete had come from it yet. She just knew that anyone Elise recommended would be in her pocket and Amelia was not leaving the most important dress of her life in hands that were controlled by Elise Virak.

"My dear Lynus, I believe it is almost time for our first engagement today?" She smiled at her husband and then looked back at Arryn. The plea to get them away from Elise clear in her eyes.

Lynus Anireth Elise Virak

The small boy in line was just happily humming away, it was a great day for the Republic and an even better day for him. He had a stuffed gryphon!

And better yet, someone else noticed it too! He perked a toothy smile at Chas and pointed back the way he had gotten it. She would notice as he turned the thin line of a scar on his neck.

He would point with determination then, deciding that there were far too many people between him and the Gryphon's home, he would tuck his plush under his other arm and the newly freed hand would reach for Chas's.

Whether she took his hand or not, he would immediately hop away from the line in excitement, before guiding her through the tangle of people.

Chasmine

"Oh-" Chasmine followed the line of his pointing hand through the crowd, but unfortunately could see nothing from where they stood. Too many people. As pressing as childish notions of want here, the boy captured her hand easily in her distraction and off she was tugged through the bodies.

"Are you sure it was this way?" she asked after him as he continued to zig and zag through the people, "Excuse me Sir... oh, Madame, please forgive me. Excuse us. We're looking for gryphons - has anyone seen any gryphons?"

Henk did his best not to outwardly display just how hard that accent was on the ears. With any luck, his cringe would more resemble a smile. Not to imply he wasn't happy to see her; as melancholy as he was about this whole affair, Henk was far from sour about some company. Everleigh seemed to be enjoying herself, and she looked rather nice. He was glad.

"Poison to the enemy maybe, but you do everything you can to take care of your own." Henk crossed a leg over the other and joined his hands in his lap. "But I promise not to share my knowledge of your 'sweetness' in front of anybody else, if that makes you feel better." He smirks, teasingly, looking past her towards where the rest of her group wandered off to cause more trouble. No doubt there was trouble to cause.

Everleigh was just trying to include him. It was a sweet gesture, really. Why she chose to do it in that strange voice he wasn't too sure. Maybe it was that odd game she'd tried inviting him to a while ago? "If I'm quite honest, I did plan on opting out of any shenanigans tonight. If you have some idea of what I should do, however, please enlighten me. I may be convinced otherwise."

He was ducking the reason behind his hesitance, but Everleigh need not know it.

Everleigh Ebersol

Everleigh blinked slowly at Henk and then turned to look over her shoulder at the group of kids behind her. Her fellow initiates. She looked back at Henk and her eyes dropped. There had always been an inkling that her magic, her toxins, had been used to kill those she’d never know about.

And even if she did know who she killed in battle, it didn’t excuse her from the missions she had been sent on before the revolution. All those innocent towns. The small town of a thousand or so people in Aina O Ka La wasn’t the first nor had it been the last. People still whispered about a strange plague that wiped everyone out within three days.

Only Everleigh, Edric and Dreadlord Mareou knew the truth.

I’ve killed plenty that never were my enemy.” Everleigh whispered, and then shrugged. “More than anyone.” The thoughts were pushed aside when she heard Zael’s call and looked over at the little group forming. One seemed to be for the rambunctious ones and the other seemed to be more for the calmer group. She already knew where she belonged. She looked back at Henk and grinned. She’d join her group later.

They couldn’t have fun without the Anirian Queen of Gambling.

Why not enjoy yerself? Proctors beat yew down that much, Henk?” She leaned forward, grinning devilishly. “Why not come with me and Zael? We can show yew how tew have fun again.” Everleigh said with a slight chuckle.

Henk

If the little boy was capable of making sound, Chas could be sure there would be laughter, given the joy spread across his face.

He would continue piercing his way through the crowd, ducking between the legs of a man on stilts and dragging after him. It was as if it were a maze of people and shops, a maze she apparently had found an expert of.

After another two dozen twists and turns they would come to a stop before a stand, boasting about the Wardens of Vel Ehn and their noble mounts and of course, the legendary Velaeri.

Unfortunately... there would be no more gryphons.. just carvings of the gryphon riders with silver painted armor. They had found the only stall that would sell such treasures and the little boys shoulders sagged in failure.

After a moment, he would perk up, glancing down at his stuffed Velaeri in one hand, before looking over to his other that held Chas's hand. He would flash her a smile before offering his gryphon plush to her.

Chasmine

"Perhaps I could do with someone teaching me a lesson..."
Perhaps... I could do..... with someone.......... teaching me .............a lesson.

Had she really just said what she'd said and expected Amelia not to catch on?... Of course she knew Amelia would catch on, it was Elise. If she could create a little drama for him then of course she would. The Prince had to loosen his collar. His skin was scalding, and he thanked the Gods for Amelia's well-timed reminder that they had other engagements to attend to.

"Yes. Yes you're quite right, My Lady. Forgive us." he replied huskily and cleared his throat with a glance to Arryn who was failing miserably to hide his amusement at his squirming. Lynus dropped his gaze to the box that Elise had gifted him in hopes that the man would take the hint and remove it from sight.

"It was a pleasure speaking with you, Lady Virak." he said stiffly as he stood, his hand held out to take Amelia's.

She'd only just managed to keep up before stumbling to a stop as he finally found the stand. Chasmine's bangs feathered wildly out over her face as she looked up, wide eyes and rosy-cheeked. Her free hand calmly pressed the hair from her eyes and she blinked as she took in the curiously empty shelves.

No stuffed gryphons.

"Oh," Chas remarked, "it seems there are no more. That's alright, I-" and she looked down to find the boy offering her his own. The Dreadlord Initiate responded with a warm, wane smile as she pressed the toy back to him, "You keep it. I actually have one just like it that someone gave to me. It's back in my dorm. Perhaps they could be friends."

He was a curiously quiet child, that much any other quasi-young-adult would have noted, but the oddity did not strike her. Chasmine looked around for a moment at the crowds and then down to the child, "Are you here alone?"

The small boy would deflate some, his gesture of friendship, all but failed. But at least she was nice. He would slowly bring the plush back to his body to hug it close to him.

But that short-lived despair would disappear as she mentioned a gryphon friendship! He would do a little excited hop with a big grin, before nodding his head to accept such a magnanimous offer.

That excitement would linger despite the tinge of pain inspired by her question. His nod would come again, this time far less jovial.

"You kids okay?" A rather burly and mustachioed vendor would ask as he began to break down his stall. He eyed between the two and seemed to have something click. "If you're looking for another Vel, some of the games are offering a bigger version of her. Some of my best work, just gotta win."

Chasmine

"Pity." Elise said with a shake of her head, as though she were truly disappointed in the rejection.

The pouty line of her lip quickly quirked into a smile however, Elise masterfully flickering between emotions as she continued to flourish through the conversation. It was places like this where she truly found herself thriving. She enjoyed quick turns of the tongue, the flow of it all. There was something deeply satisfying that she just found oh so fulfilling.

She smiled pleasantly at Lynus and Amelia. "I assure you my Prince, the pleasure has been all mine."

Her gaze flickered briefly over Lynus, and then to the box which Arryn still had not taken away. Her smile grew a bit wider.

Then she looked to Amelia.

"Do reach out." the Baroness told her. "There's so much you've missed out on over the years. I would love to catch you up."

Her smile lingered for a moment more. "I hope you enjoy the celebrations."

Elise then bowed her head, turning on her heel away from the Royal couple as she made her way back over towards the Guards. There were so many more people to talk to today, so many more seeds to sow.

Lynus Anireth | Amelia Pirian Anireth

Everleigh's eyes shifted a bit as her expression changed slightly at Henk's words. He certainly hadn't meant to cause her any offense. It was a compliment if nothing else. It was naive though, for Henk to believe that others might not have misgivings about their lifestyle just the same as his own. Everleigh's whispered correction brought a somber frown to Henk's face, his gaze softening in sympathy for her.

Of course, just like him, she was a weapon. And she had been used as such.

"We've all done things that we look back on with regret, in the name of those who wield us." Henk slowly rose to his feet to stand before her, reaching out slowly and placing his covered hand gently on her shoulder. His touch was so light that should she even shift slightly his fingertips would slide free. "I am of the mind that how we feel and how we move forward is far more telling of our character than what we've done in the past. If we were to prosecute for the crimes of yesterday, this whole city ought to be hanging."

Nobody in Vel Anir was innocent, least of all anybody associated with the Academy. Struggling with one's own morality would lead to nothing but insanity.

Everleigh's voice lightened up again, and she laughed a bit as she invited him to join her and Zael in a search for trouble. Zael was a nice enough fellow, but he knew very well that going along with him would get him into a situation he would regret.

But...

"Okay then. I guess it's better than moping about here. Let's go.

Everleigh Ebersol Zael Castomir

THE SIGHTS GROUP

Kristen perked her head up. There was a voice, not smothering the din of the Festival commotions but riding clearly atop the surface of them, and it was a voice that made Kristen's heart stop for a breathless moment inside of her chest. She could not boast of ever having heard this particular voice for herself, no, so it was not the sound which enraptured her attention.

It was the content.

I'm the Butcher of Vel Anir...I'm the Dreadlord who murdered an Archon.

Kristen clapped her hands over her mouth, bending at the knees, bouncing up and down and up and down with a mounting excitement. No! No, no, no! It couldn't be! It simply could not be! There was no possible way that Kristen deserved this! She didn't even pray twice in the morning today, how could the Holy Sentinel possibly be so forgiving and his grace so expansive to allow for this? What? How? Oh my god! She couldn't—

But the voice kept speaking. Adding detail. Some details washed cleanly over Kristen's awareness and she ignored them, their grisly images doing nothing to mar the ideal Kristen had so cleanly established in her mind.

Then, proceeding along at a tangent to where Kristen and the others stood, there was a clear parting of the crowd. Through the gaps of shifting heads (and thanks, for once, to her height) Kristen was able to see a glimpse of something, someone, commanding the awe, the fear, the respect which so parted the crowd like a water mage casting aside the sea. Same as with the sound of the voice, Kristen could not claim to have ever seen the woman she had in mind, no, not in person, but a general likeness she knew. Who didn't?

She gasped. Could it be??

Zael said something snide and started to go on his way and Kristen outright ignored him. Instead, all of her attention fell upon Thea. In the throe of her excitement it didn't matter to her that they'd only just met all of about five minutes ago.

"Thea! Oh my goodness, Thea!" Kristen said, squealing out her name the second time, bobbing up and down still in her giddiness. Her eyes blazed with star-struck wonder. "I think that's Zana. That might be Zana over there! What ever shall I do? What ever shall I do?? Who am I to approach one such as her? I am but a lowly Initiate! What—"

An idea struck her with such a fierceness that Kristen threw her hands down on Thea's shoulders.

"THEA! You're graduated! You're a true Dreadlord! O-Oh, please! Could you please, maybe, perhaps, possibly...go and say 'Hello' to Dreadlord Zana for me...? I'm too...I just...I wouldn't dare to...PLEASE, Thea, may you bless me with this small favor??"

Theadora Cloud Zana

THE GAMES GROUP

Kristen was doing Kristen things. Which, you know, was making a big deal out of nothing apparently. So there was some Dreadlord over there exaggerating their involvement in the Revolution. It was probably some washed-up Third Level—man, there were going to be a lot of those today. Not just Dreadlords either, but Guardsmen too, bucking up their chests like they could've handled the whole thing without the backing of the all the Dreadlords who turned with them.

I'm the butcher who cut off 100 of our brothers and sisters heads...

Zael could make shit up too. Watch.

"Pfft, I would have done a hundred and one, now let's go," he said. Kristen was still smitten over there, but hey, she was Thea's problem now.

Zael sauntered over to Everleigh and Henk (who, fuck, for the life of them looked like they just had a downer conversation) and, in an effort to bring things back up, greeted Henk jovially, "Henk! Buddy. My are you not a sight to behold, man." He squeezed one of Henk's arms. Damn, the upscale way in which Zael had to talk was grating on him. "You're looking good, what with having thrashed some pirates and some arena beasts, huh?"

Gotta watch those g's. One dropped g, a lookin instead of a looking or a havin instead of a having, and it was over for him and Ever basically owned him for a week.

"We're off to the games, my friend," Zael said, grinning. "This Festival is going to have some wild ones, I can simply feel it!"

Everleigh Ebersol Henk

SIGHTS GROUP

If Kristen squealed, that would only complete her silent excitement. All he knew was she went full fruitcake. Someone claimed to be Zana, which was pretty cool, maybe she was.

So when people started parting, and Kristen began to squeal her request to Thea, Drast got a pretty great idea. It was a winning idea.

He would wait and time the hopping of Kristen, until she suddenly stopped and grabbed ahold of Thea. "Ladies, sight one, coming up." Drast would announce before ducking low and putting his head between Kristens legs and rising to his full height so she was now sitting atop his shoulders. The only thing he was careful of was that she remained decency to the crowd. Hopefully.

Both arms would loop across her feet and his hands would clasp. "Ry, Thea, hold onto the Drast express, we're meeting a Zana in the wild." And just like that, he began to head her way.

Kristen Pirian Theadora Cloud Ryan Ashford