Dreadlords The Anniversary of Freedom

Threads open to all members of the Dreadlords group
"You witnessed what happened with Zana," Kristen said, her voice heavy. Ruefully, she shook her head. It was awful to dredge these memories up. Awful, but necessary. They needed to be confronted. "My very first mission in Vel Acan, I completely collapsed. I failed utterly. I could have...my failure could have gotten people killed. And I wish I could say that it stopped there. Somehow, some way, my nerves always best me."

She looked to him. Eyes searching.

"You are always so calm, so collected. Even in the face of death your composure does not waver." A shimmer of wonder, then, in those searching eyes. "Do you feel anxious...or fearful...in those moments?"

Drastus Tal'deneshaar

He watched as the emotions that plagued her boiled to the surface. The shame, the pain, the disgrace, all at or with herself. It was unfitting for a Pirian. For her. She listed her failures, the reason for them. He wasn't so sure how to help.

But then came the tie-in, and he knew he would have to answer very carefully. He needed to support her more in this moment then she realized. And words.. were not his forté.

You are always so calm, so collected. Even in the face of death your composure does not waver. Do you feel anxious...or fearful...in those moments?

He would scratch his jaw while thinking a moment. How best to word it. "Honestly, Kris.. the Old Ways of teaching.. broke those emotions out of us. They believed it to be effective, hell it might be. Amidst all the torture and pain they inflict, you kind of reconcile that you're going to die young.. before, it could come at the hands of another initiate, a task, or even at graduation.. fear of death slipped away or you did. So.. I haven't had a fear for awhile.. until today.. and I gotta make sure I face that and overcome it. For you, well.. we can face any fears you have together. Overcome them. Make sure you never feel how you use to again."

Kristen Pirian

• Bless
Reactions: Kristen Pirian
Somehow the awfulness of what Drastus was describing of the Old Way was blunted. By this point and having heard of it so many times and in so many different ways, the biting edge this news once possessed had lost nearly all its sharpness. A touch chilling, this realization, that one could simply become attuned to the horrific.

Both for herself, and more directly, for Drastus.

"I shall never be without fear," Kristen said quietly. "I know this. Yet courage is born only in the overcoming of fear, and it is here that I struggle."

Her further worry was that she would never be able to reach the heights of her peers, so lacking might her training under the new regime be. The Old Way was brutal and barbaric, yes...but it produced results. Though it was in sore need of replacement by a far better system, Kristen still had cause to wonder if the system she herself was the prototype for, the Republic's first attempt at correcting the mistakes of the past in the Academy...was it effective? Or would her short estimated four years of neutered training pale in comparison to what could have been?

An advanced worry for another time.

For an idea struck her.

"Mayhap...mayhap I can think of you," she said, hopeful eyes looking to him. "Whensoever I am imperiled, whensoever I must push through the frigidity of my nerves, mayhap I can think of you, Drastus. Even pondering it now, I can feel a potent wellspring of resolve. There is little I would not do to ensure that I return to your side, for I love you, and it is here that rests my heart's desire."

Drastus Tal'deneshaar

I shall never be without fear. I know this. Yet courage is born only in the overcoming of fear, and it is here that I struggle.

Drast scratched his jaw at that. "Then find something to give you strength. Something concrete to fight for. You said you wanted to protect young girls, maybe that's too.. vague?" He offered.

She would be quiet for some time, her thoughts playing behind her eyes in a way he couldn't read them. Until, finally she spoke, her gaze flitting to his and full of hope.

Mayhap...mayhap I can think of you.

He had expected the name to be her gods, or maybe a sibling, her family, perhaps a friend she had bonded over such hardships with. No. Instead of all of that, she wanted to think of him. He grinned with a nod. "Yeah.. definitely.. I keep you in my thoughts when I'm on-mission. It is definitely a well-spring of resolve."

He would lean forward to press his lips against hers in a loving kiss, gentle, secure. "Proctors claimed hate was the way, maybe with love, you'll surpass the rest of us?"

Kristen Pirian

• Love
Proctors claim hate was the way, maybe with love, you'll surpass the rest of us?

Kristen smiled warmly, this brightness only magnified in the wake of their kiss. "A lofty aspiration for one such as myself. I know not if I am capable of such heights, but I do know this...for that which I am capable, I shall not falter in achieving it. No longer."

She shook her head. Said it again, "No longer." Resolve seemed to fill her and she proclaimed, "From this day on, I shall continue forward. Should I waiver, I shall straighten. Should I fall, I shall stand again. Should I fail, I shall learn and keep trying. Never shall I quit my course. I will continue forward and forward and forward until it is done, and I will become what I seek to be."

Pride.

And steel.

"A Dreadlord of Vel Anir."

Drastus Tal'deneshaar

He watched her face light up and a grin would form in response, how could it not? There were few things he knew he wanted in this world, and despite his age he had already seen a lot of the nasty sides of it. All he did know, was the one thing he did want now sat beside him. The one person.

"We set our own limits Kris, you put in the work, the effort. You'll make it happen. I know you will." He knew she had the potential to definitely shoot higher than him, after all, what was Necromancy to Divinity? His girlfriend was his own weakness. It was a funny thought.

I will continue forward and forward and forward until it is done, and I will become what I seek to be... A Dreadlord of Vel Anir.

"Ever forward, and never back." Drast intoned, a motto of his Houses Wardens. "And I will do all I can to support your path. You will do it yourself, I'll just be there to help pick you back up."

Kristen Pirian

• Love
Truth? Again? Everleigh blinked in surprise, beginning to straighten back up to get Zael off her back— even though the warmth would be missed— and turned around to look at the other initiate. She had one dark brow raised, giving him a look over as if she expected him to change his answer at any moment, to say ‘Just kidding!’ And go with dare instead.

What else did she want to know?

Of course those previous questions from earlier were still needling her in the back of her mind, but more than that was the fact that she still couldn’t bring herself to ask any of them. The answer, the truth… sometimes it was better not knowing these sorts of things, right?

Truth. Alright, okay.” She said, placing her hands on her hips as she went through the many questions that came across her mind. There was one that stood out, mostly because it was more fun to ask and possibly get a reaction from Zael, and also because… well, Everleigh wouldn’t mind whether Zael answered this with a yes or a no.

Did you sneak a peak back at Arnim?” There was no need to clarify any other details. Most definitely, Everleigh was certain that Zael knew exactly what she was talking about.

Zael Castomir

• Devil
Reactions: Zael Castomir
Kristen's chest swelled with affection, eyes melting with the same, and she draped her arms around his neck. Pulled herself closer.

"Drastus Tal'deneshaar...you are more than I could have ever wished for."

And with passion reignited she leaned in and kissed him, this flame as hot as before yet instead of an urgent intensity it came this time as slow and intimate. Soft and gentle were the tiny sounds of their lips, parting and touching, parting and touching. Her hands ran along his back, his neck, and on her cheek she felt the heat of his breath through his nose and oh how it paled to the flame of their flesh. The aching of her heart was both joyous and insatiable.

Of this day and what had come of it, sequestered in secret from the rest of the Festival, Kristen would hold to and cherish as a timeless gift, and she would find no sleep that night, for what dreams could possibly compare?

Drastus Tal'deneshaar

"Yeah."

A straight-shooting and casually forthright answer if there ever was one. No sense fussing over the particulars, right? Oh the holes weren't even really all that big, I was this far away in my own tub, only got a small morsel of movement through the holes. Hey, a look's a look, and he'd say so any day of the week. He owned it like a badge of honor.

He smiled broadly then, his cheeks light up with mirth and frivolity. "I guess you can call me Siegzael. I'll never be as accomplished a peeper as Little Lilly, but I have my moments." He planted his fists on his hips and looked upward in a facetiously heroic manner, proclaiming, "I am a healthy young lad! That's right!"

Zael had the mirror image question to Ever's own in mind. Naturally, right? Hey, did you sneak a peek yourself back at Arnim? Can I call you Siegever if that's the case? Maybe she did, maybe she didn't, but that was part of the game of knowing and not knowing. Part of the thrill. Sometimes the wondering was as good, or even better, than the answer—even if you were dying to hear it.

His gaze descended back down and he asked, "Round two for you. Truth. Or dare?"

Everleigh Ebersol

• Smug
Reactions: Everleigh Ebersol
Nobody had ever looked at him the way she had, and he had seen a few classmates look up at him in various positions. This was something that bore far more depth than any other, far more meaning. Her arms circled his neck, his found purchase around her slender waist, and the pair seemed to work in unison to pull each other closer.

Drastus Tal'deneshaar...you are more than I could have ever wished for.

"And still, far less than you deserve, Lady Pirian." He meant that with every fiber of his being. Whether by station, or by strength of character, he couldn't compare. He could never be in her league, at least in his eyes. "But I will do my best to live up to whatever you see in me, everyday."

He was going to say more, he should have. But then she kissed him, a slow and burning passion. Her hands traced along his neck, his back. The warmth of his breath on her cheek was replaced by the warmth of his hand, as he cupped her face to deepen the kiss.

After an unknown amount of time, the sun had descended beneath the cityscape and the lights around the streets began to glow with their enchanted lights. He would finally break the kiss, his heart racing and his brain jelly.

"We uhh.." his gaze shifted, to their surroundings: a mostly eaten funnel cake, a powder covered rented blanket, and her, nearly atop his lap. The glimpse into a life he never thought possible. His nerves settled, and he just grinned. ".. let's get out of here, yeah?"

Kristen Pirian

• Love
You played it off well, then.” Everleigh said, actually quite impressed. It was a fun question, the answer wouldn’t have mattered much. No? Then what a respectable young man. Yes? Then he had good tastes. Not like she didn’t enjoy the sight of him. She did quirk up a brow in curiosity at the fact that Sieglilly was, or at least what Zael was suggesting, a peeping Tom. She wouldn’t have labeled her as one. Or… no, it made sense. Strangely enough, it made plenty of sense.

Perhaps not everyone else was as sexually repressed as Everleigh was.

After all, Zael had placed certain emphasis on ‘healthy.’ Everyone their age should have experienced some sort of awakening by now, right? Everleigh thought back to when she saw Liliana naked at the hotel’s underground spa. Comparing it to when she had peeked at Zael, she had felt… well, she wasn’t sure what she had felt exactly, but they were different from each other both time. And those times were different than the communal bath time at the academy before the revolution.

She was tempted to teasingly say something along the lines of “like what you saw?” Or something of that sort, but the small voice in the back of her head that warned her of him saying something like “no” or “so-and-so is better looking” had her hesitate and then forget about the jest entirely. She took a deep breath.

Truth.” Everleigh said, her lips forming a slight smirk. “I’ll play it safe like you.

Zael Castomir

• Devil
Truth.

Ah...so that's what that felt like. They were absolutely both teasing each other by calling truth instead of dare (was there anybody who played this game and wanted the truths more than the dares? Probably, and those were probably also the people who were fan-tas-tic at parties). Well not to worry, the king of all numbers was up next after this round, and of course Zael had to give his due to almighty number three.

Truth though. Shit. This was hard. There was about a million bland things he could ask, there were some that were juicy, and there were some that were really juicy. The trick to having the most fun was all about escalation, but you also didn't want start off by wallowing in the humdrum, pedestrian questions like: 'Hey, what's your favorite food, her-der-ber.'

There was a couple he could ask right off the bat, some real glaring and obvious ones at the forefront of mind that just tickled their way into his consciousness and had him wondering every now and then, but those were better saved. Escalation and all.

So after a moment of thinking, Zael came to it with a grin.

"What was the most embarrassin thing to happen to you on a mission?"

Everleigh Ebersol

• Nervous
Embarrassing thing to happen on a mission? Everleigh looked a bit perplexed as she tried to figure out the question. Shame had, for the most part, been beaten out of her. She had to be ready to strip down at a moment’s notice and pee on something in front of a crowd if it was needed of her. Her magic, while deadly, didn’t come from thin air. So while Everleigh was sure she had some stories that were embarrassing to others, they weren’t for her.

So what was she embarrassed of?

The time she had to use Edric’s help and take his hand to get up a wall to poison that village? That was the first thing that came to mind, but if anything, it ate away at her pride more than anything. The time she had unknowingly killed four of her classmates just because she had passed some gas after sloppy joe day? Well… that was a regret. Having her hair get chopped off by that fire golem a month or so ago? Seeing Liliana naked was a bit embarrassing…. Oh, there was that—

Oh! Wait! She had it!

Okay, got a good one for you.” Everleigh said, looking at Zael and then looking away, a nervous smile coming through. “I was on this mission with Titus before War Games. It wasn’t anything big, handled it easy peasy. Titus was getting on my nerves and I just couldn’t camp outside with him again. So made enough coin to go to an inn for a night. The plan was to have separate rooms— and we did. But I… got drunk.” A sheepish shrug as she looked Zael’s way.

I couldn’t… control anything. I was sweaty so soon enough the entire tavern was dead asleep, and out of nowhere well… my clothes just felt uncomfortable. But halfway through undressing, I had to take a piss. I just couldn’t get my pants off for the life of me. So i had Titus help me take them off and then,” Everleigh took a deep breath. “I went to a corner, standing up, I peed. And burnt a hole through the wall. Then I threw up and burned a hole through the floor. After that, I took a few steps away, took a few more swigs of ale, and then passed out naked in fetal position. I think Titus was hoping to get lucky but… sure that turned him off.

Everleigh didn’t realize it but the top of her ears with a bright red, matching the same crimson in her cheeks. She hadn’t told that story to anyone, and had taken a pinky finger from Titus in a gambling match to make sure he’d never tell a soul. He was still paying off that debt to her. But, she supposed there was no need for that now.

But. Well. Anyhow. Truth or dare? And I hope you make it a good one, Castomir.

Zael Castomir

By the time Ever's story got to the part about her burning holes in some random establishment with various bodily ejections, Zael had one hand on his stomach, the other clapped to his forehead, and he was rocking back with laughter. "Ho, ho, hoooooooly shit!"

Ever finished the story and Zael had to come back down off of the giggle cloud and touch feet on Arethil again. He was actually a bit exhausted from those belly laughs, and his cheeks were starting to hurt from smiling and grinning so broadly. A thought which had politely waited for him to regain composure came marching stately into his mind, presenting a little (and surprising) bundle of wrapped up jealousy: Titus, that lucky son of a bitch. Hope you lose your other pinky, ya bastard. He pressed on past it.

"Man, I don't know what I was expectin, but it always comes down to somethin like that, huh? Some combination of bein drunk, naked, blowin nastiness out of some hole, maybe add in a wild card like unintentional vandalism, and you got yourself a story that's gonna turn heads at your own expense."

Zael had his own collection of embarrassing stories. Everybody did. Probably. Maybe the super straight-laced and wooden personages of the Academy could boast to never having done anything interesting, but not Zael nor Ever.

"Alright. Round three. My favorite. You know what that means?"

Hands held behind his back, he leaned in close and whispered conspiratorially into her ear, the clamor of the festival loud as ever but the intentional closeness carrying the word through.

"Dare."

Everleigh Ebersol

• Smug
Zael’s laughter was infectious. All at once, Everleigh hated yet adored that undeniable aspect of Zael, to brighten any darkness with just a smile. Right now, she was laughing along with him, all because he was laughing; so somehow her brain had decided that now her diaphragm would spasm while she heaved and huffed on air as tears would collect in her eyes.

It was ridiculous.” Everleigh said, grinning. “Although, being drunk was novel. Unfortunately, can’t seem to get drunk anymore.” She admitted, “but I can create alcohol just like I do with any other toxin.” So she couldn’t have her cake and eat it too, but she could always get some fast cash by handing out strong liquor with just a swipe of her tongue. Everleigh preferred the later, after all, more money meant more gambling.

But finally, finally. Dare. And while she had many dares at her disposal that would be and exciting, there was one particular that took the cake.

Not my worst dare to do, but,” Everleigh said, her eyes squinting up into her signature smug smirk. She pointed a single finger at a couple moving through the crowd. It was clear, lovers. They held hands and walked close to one another, the young woman resting her head on the man’s shoulders. They had the largest smiles in the world, and the glitter in their eyes was full of that first love.

Go up to that woman, announce you’re Elias Sirl, and you can’t believe that she is cheating on you with some skinny scarecrow— or whatever insult you’ll think will try and get him to punch you.” That impish grin was still present as Everleigh cracked her knuckles in anticipation. “If you manage to get him to try and strike you, I’ll throw in an extra reward for you.”

Zael Castomir

• Wonder
Zael cracked his neck, and he couldn't stop grinning. "You want me to do an Elias impression? You really are the Blackberry Witch!"

Zael whipped out his tongue and slobbered it all over his palm. Hey, he was gonna need that slobber to try and slick back his hair. Sure it was on the opposite side of the light/dark spectrum, and but he could approximate the style. "Shame I can't pull it back into a bun." This was gonna have to do.

"Alright," he said. "One shiner comin up."

Zael flicked out his hands to adjust the sleeves of his shirt. Assumed a posture of overbearing swagger. And he started to saunter along with the most exaggerated swing of his arms, his chest puffed out so much it was practically dragging the rest of his body along. His lip was curled down heavily, and he kept glancing left and right, as if he didn't want to miss spotting someone to ruthlessly judge.

Was he laying it on a bit thick? Yup. Thick as fuckin cold maple syrup.

"You there. Woman," Zael announced loudly, pointing at the woman of the couple, and already their day was ruined. Her lover was confused, and the woman even more so. Zael stopped before them. "What? Was I not enough. Was this gigantic throbbing polearm of mine not enough for the likes of you?"

The man, now with a promising amount of irritation to accompany his bewilderment, said, "Who are you? Just who in the name of—"

"C'mon man, you already know who I am. Elias Sirl. You could probably taste me last time you dived into that muff."

The woman then, outraged. "I beg your—!"

"Begging! Ha! Your favorite pastime around me. Or at least it was. Until you started snogging with this starved gremlin. Do you like to listen to his bones creak every time the wind blows?"

Snogging. Yeah, he stole that one from Gaage's repertoire, but it seemed to work wonders. The man's outrage was surpassing his lover's, and they had a bit of a scene forming now. "I may not be nobility, but I am no feckless peasant either. I will ensure—!"

"Listen man, we both know that clipped sausage you're pushing is about as big as an orphan's thumb, so why don't you quit while you're ahead? She's gonna come back to me any day now, and we're gonna play 'Pound those mounds' just the way she likes it again."

The man had gone from serene in the moment prior to seething red with anger. His fist was clenched, but the woman tugged fiercely on his shirt, saying, "This is some belligerent drunk the likes of whom I have never seen before, and all he spews is baseless bile! Let us go!"

And—goddamn it!—the man listened to reason and took the high road, unclenching his fist and walking away with his lover (glaring at Zael all the while, until heads and shoulders from the crowd blocked his view). Zael hooked his thumbs into the belt, turned on his heel, and walked away while whistling nonchalantly, acting as though nothing of any significance had just happened for all of the onlookers. That was probably a mostly accurate Elias Sirl impression, right?

Back to Everleigh he went, smiling with bright red cheeks even though he hadn't gotten socked in the face for his efforts.

Everleigh Ebersol

Leave it up to Zael for a wonderfully spectacular performance. The only thing that would have made it better would be if Elias was there to view such a thing. Sometimes he could be a rather surprising individual, Everleigh wasn’t sure if he’d be pissed off, indifferent with a roll of his eyes and a shrug, or laughing along with her. Perhaps the best part was the couple’s reactions.

Even if the man didn’t throw a punch at Zael, the fact that the couple stalked off to angrily whisper at each other was worth a few giggles in itself.

Everleigh almost felt a little guilty, ruining their day and all, at least she would have if she were even capable of feeling guilt for people who meant little to her.

I can’t believe you didn’t laugh!” Everleigh said, her eyes gleaming and smile still wide and bright from her fits of laughter. And then without hesitation, Everleigh stood up on the tips of her toes, her hands reaching up to fix Zael’s hair and put it back into place. The dampness from the slobber was really just a bonus.

You know, I bet he would’ve punched you if you started shit-talking his lady. The dick comments were good, but they only work if the man is insecure about his size. He’s probably packing.” Everleigh glanced over to where the couple had receded into the crowd, unable to pick them out. Absently, like every young woman who had yet to experience sex with a man, she wondered if “size” mattered.

Some women swore by it, others didn’t. Everleigh thought back to Drast and his… excitement during the Punishment Games. Plenty of the ladies there seemed impressed by it, and truly, Everleigh had felt a sort of apprehension upon seeing it and comparing it to what she had thought she knew. Although her eyes had been far more focused on the too-small pair of fabric that had barely contained Zael’s—

She shook her head, taking a step back from Zael, feeling her cheeks get hot.

No extra reward this time.” Everleigh said, clearing her throat and placing her hands onto her hips as she looked up at Zael. “Unless you count giving me another dare as a reward.

Zael Castomir

I can’t believe you didn’t laugh!

Zael's lips swam around on his face in an amorphous way as he tried to keep his laughter from spilling out. It wasn't really from his award-winning act back there as Elias "The Boyfriend Experience" Sirl, no. It was because Ever was laughing and she was looking at him while she was laughing and goddamn it the whole thing was just infectious but somehow he got it through his big dumb skull that it was now a challenge for him to not laugh.

His tongue crawled out from his squirming lips and wet them and he said, "Y-Yeah." A little snicker, a little snnrrkk sound, caught in his throat, and he swallowed it before continuing, "I'm a stone cold killer."

He shouldn't have said that. Because that was the crack in the dam that just let the river flow, and he bellowed out a big belly laugh.

When it was over, Ever had her take his strategy. "Man, that's devious. And brilliant. Would it have ruined the impression if I acted that smart though?" And he smirked. Ah, Elias. Scion of Sirl. Felt a little fucked up to be doing this all behind his back, but, ya know, he probably did the same. Everybody probably did. So long as you weren't too yellow to say it to someone's face if pressed, then it was all good.

Zael had absentmindedly raised a hand to unfuck his hair from that slicked back style, but Ever stepped forward and beat him to it. Which, as he found out immediately when it happened, he didn't mind in the slightest.

No extra reward this time.

"Makes the next twice as good."

And then she chose dare. Zael clicked his tongue against the roof of his mouth. Didn't have to think long. "I got one. Follow me."

* * * * *​

Escalation, my friend. And hilarity.

Zael had spotted this guy as they had been running through the crowds earlier. And as luck would have it, yeah, he was still at his place in the Square.

Zael pointed to him. He was a tall lad alright, somewhere between Edric and Sable-sized. He had a salt-and-pepper beard with salt-and-pepper hair to match, said hair being long and draping down over his shoulders in a messy mop. A twirled mustache on him too.

Oh, and he was built like a bear. Which was awfully fitting, because he, apparently, could shapeshift his hands into bear paws. Bear paws which he was using to give people hellacious back massages. Kodiak over there was laughing his ass off, as jovial and flamboyant as could be, as curious Anirians gathered around him and his strange foreign magic and pretty much challenged one another to be the next to lay down on his wooden massage bench. There was a small Anirian guy on the bench currently, howling with equal parts of sharp unpleasantness and confused satisfaction as Kodiak worked his ursine mitts, his elbows, even his fuckin beard at one point, into "ALL THOSE KNOTS!" he kept finding. When the Anirian man stumbled off of the massage bench when it was done, he walked with a weakened gait as though he'd either just had the time of his life and seen Kress himself or had just been mauled by...well, that was easily guessed.

To Ever, Zael said, "Survive a massage from that guy."

Everleigh Ebersol

• Scared
Everleigh wasn’t sure what to expect as she followed after Zael, going through all the possibilities yet the one she was met with was hardly something she had come close to conjuring up. Before her was a monster of a man with a paw of monster paws. Everleigh was hardly as tall as the majority of the girls at the academy, even if she was at a proud five-six, the average height of the female population ranged from five-seven to five-eight, with plenty standing out of that range like Ralene or Delaney.

Heck, even waife-like Chasmine was taller than her!

She felt her core tighten, already preparing herself for Zael’s words. Survive was most definitely a apt word in this case because it was definitely a possibility for her to get crushed. But. As the initiate watched the seemingly regular civilian walk away unscathed— or at least without a broken bone— she was already telling herself that she could do it and be fine. Heck she had plans to graduate as a second level dreadlord, one little massage wasn’t going to kill her, right?

Right?

You got it.” She told Zael, feeling a slight spike of adrenaline go through as she mentally prepared as if she were going into battle. No one had volunteered to go next and with her head held high, Everleigh raised up her hand as high as she could as she walked forward. “Can I be next?” She asked, not wanting to cut in line— despite there not really being one. Kodiak’s massive head swiveled over to only look down at the poison eater.

“Of course!” He bellowed before laughing as if Everleigh had said the best joke he had ever heard. He then patted the wooden table with a few firm pillows on it. “Lay down face first! Head right here.” He instructed as Everleigh easily hoisted herself up on the table, easily fitting her face into the hole and laying flat on her stomach. “One paw with a wee bit of claw special coming right up!” He hollared to no one in particular with a over-eager grin as his large hands morphed into even large bear paws. Kodiak slid her hair over to the side.

He then leaned over, rather gently placing his paws directly over her shoulder blades.

“Lemme know if it hurts too much.” He said, not even giving Everleigh time to murmur out a response before he pressed down, sliding his paws in a down and outward motion.

Everything from Everleigh’s time at the academy told her to run or to fight. There was that initial pain, the pressure too intense for a split second that triggered her fear response. However, just as quickly there was a sense of relief as a series of hard to reach “pops” could be heard coming from the center of her spine. She melted then tensed up immediately once again as Kodiak repeated the same action.

“You gotta loosen up or it’ll just hurt! Relax!” He said and pressed down with more pressure than before. “Relax!” He said again, once more adding more pressure. Everleigh let out a muffled moan of agreement, doing her best to relax. Strangely enough, she brought forth the image of counting cards, her favorite thing to do when she was being punished and wanted to go elsewhere.

“See, ladies like you, they’re always full of knots right here! All that weight you’re carrying on your chest and you got little shoulders, girlie.” Kodiak explained, rubbing out a series of knots between the curve of her shoulder and where her neck connected to her back. “Guess having a big bosom isn’t all it’s cracked up to be, haha! But I’ll have you feeling limber again in no time once I obliterate every last tensed tendon! Oh YEAH!” He said and then he really got to work.

Everleigh sat up, her face for once incredibly easy to read. No mask to put on as she felt as light as a feather. Truth be told, Kodiak did exactly what he had promised. While parts of her muscle definitely felt a dull soreness and her skin felt very raw and sensitive from his large paws, there was no denying that Everleigh hadn’t felt this good in a long time. She languidly slid off the table, dreamily looking over at Kodiak.

Thanks.” She said, handing him the coins and a hearty tip. She was out of money now, only having brought a little bit of her stash to enjoy the festival. Then like a baby deer that had just been born, she stumbled yet glided over to Zael, a half-lidded look in her eyes, a genuine yet small smile. As long as no one patted her back or shoulders she should be fine.

Easy peasy,” she said, overconfident as usual.

Perhaps that rough massage had only made her numb to pain?

Zael Castomir

• Haha
Zael, all the while during Ever's enduring of Kodiak's signature mauling/massaging combo, had one fist to his mouth to shield his puckered smile and to keep a lid on his laughter. Just as advertised from the last customer/victim to stumble off of his table, Ever had a look on her face that was brimming with dualities and damn was it a sight to look at as she came back over to Zael.

"Easy peasy, huh? Yeah I guess so. Makes me want to get man-handled by that shaggy beast too, damn." Though he would have preferred if it was Ein instead, but that was another story. "You look like you had the time of your life." A little snicker crackled in his throat, flushing up his face as he held in the greater burst of laughter underneath. He sucked his tongue against the back of his teeth and said, "Well, how could I possibly follow that up with a 'truth'? Naw. I gotta give you the dare. I know you're dyin for it, and you know what, after watchin all of that, so am I."

Zael bounced his shoulders up and down as if prepping for a hand-to-hand duel.

"Got me feelin all adventurous. Don't go easy on me."

Everleigh Ebersol

• Smug
Everleigh still had a dreamy look in her eyes, blinking slowly at Zael. Perhaps it was the massage, but what on Arethil was he laughing so hard about that he was trying to contain his laughter. Everleigh brought her hands up to her face, wondering if there was something there, something out of order. But if there was anything wrong, anything that would be reason to laugh at, she felt that Zael would have alluded to it in some cheeky-way.

She thought back to what could have been hilarious? Her grunts or groans? Surely he didn’t hear that, did he? She glanced over her shoulder at Kodiak. With a sleepy shrug, she figured it would be something she’d never know the truth about. Besides, where she may have felt more subdued than before, Zael still had plenty of energy to spare.

Right, dare.” Everleigh said, waking up from her daze just enough to have a smug look on her face as she thought. “I got it, let’s find out where they’re keeping all those fireworks, and then I’ll figure out exactly what I want you to do.” The initiate said, pointing over to where the center of the city would be. While the festival would come to a close soon enough, there was still plenty of mayhem that Everleigh and Zael could cause before they would have to head back to the academy and resume their role as initiates.

But at this moment, Everleigh wanted to enjoy this sort of freedom for as long as she could. And she suspected Zael felt the same way.

Zael Castomir

• Cheer