Fable - Ask The Warmth of Dragons

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first
The Royal Plaza

Kaveh felt a fool for not having done this before. It had seemed an obvious answer after Rayvath's prodding, and now he couldn't help but feel sparks of joy as he noticed the glances and viper like eyes that fell upon them.

Yes, people would be speaking of this. "Excellent."

The Prince declared with a smile, his gaze flickering to Briseis. Briefly he wondered just what it was he was doing. She had been taking lessons with Shirian on the politics of Thanasis, but he did not know whether such small things had yet been broached upon.

Not that it mattered much. Whether the former servant knew or not, the effect would be the same.

"We go to see my mother." Kaveh said, apparently entirely ignoring Errune's social discomfort. "Would either of you care to join us?"

The invite flowed from him as though he were asking them to go for drinks.

In the square below, Rayvath watched as the Noble stalked away. Her massive eyes remaining fixed on the woman's form even as Polina whispered to Ciraxis. Her gaze narrowing for a moment more until Polina once again tempted fates with an offer off food.

Almost immediately the Dragon's head snapped forward, a gentle gust of wind flickering skirts and coats as he form shifted and her full attention fell upon the servant.

The Royal Plaza

"Wonderful,"

By the look on his face, Lord Errune appeared to be regretting his invitation almost instantly, and Briseis had been about to reassure him that he need not agree to indulge her curiosities should it be of burden to him, when she noticed the grip with which he held his cane. Her brow furrowed, and she had to stop herself from asking if he was alright. The answer was quite obvious, and Errune's pain wasn't her business to point out or presume.

"After the festival would be lovely.." she answered after Cressida spoke, a casual smile cast over the woman as she detected sarcasm. "I doubt I'll be able to contain my curiosity until your errands are complete.." she smiled warmly, but it was a difficult thing to hold onto as Kaveh spoke.

His mother? "Oh, we are?.." she asked as she turned to the Prince, the lilt in her voice a little higher than she intended. What happened to no more surprises? The thought of being subjected to the scrutinising gazes of his family was far more terrifying than those who surrounded her now. It had been Kaveh's choice to offer her sanctuary, not theirs, and now the entire royal family had been subject to their own scrutiny which Kaveh no doubt enjoyed very much. Still, she was a stain that they seemed more than eager to wash out, and she much preferred staying far out of their ways.

Kaveh's invitation struck her as odd, but she wore the same careful smile as she looked back to Errune and Cressida.

The white dragon in the square below stared at Polina, emitting a trill of a sound in response before thumping his tail into the ground, causing a tremor under the feet of those nearby.

Last edited:
Main Plaza

Eyes like two professional pickpockets steal and drink in the details of those present and the festivities of the plaza, storing them up for later. But her gaze ends on the leaves hanging from a hundred different branches in the wind, fluttering with the false promise of flight. A gust catches their dried wings only to force them downward, forgotten, left to be trampled by those in the plaza. Unclasping her hands, she strides forward. Without much effort, she slips between the gaps in the crowds, dragons, nobles, lovers, flirts, daredevils, budding friendships, and those with puffed chests of pride.

Gently and quietly, she presses some coins into Vhagor's palm, closing his digits firmly over them.

"Drink one for me? I'll try to find you later."

A wary nod to Nyx. An avoidance of a particular set of golden eyes of a noble house as she turns and slips through the crowd toward the direction of the Archives.

Leovold wilted slightly under Vhagor's harsh expression, but only slightly. Vhagor didn't exactly pull punches, and he certainly didn't play passive aggressive. If he wasn't shouting at or striking Leovold, then he wasn't in any immediate danger. As a matter of fact, a dour look from the old man was practically just a yawn or a sigh.

Raimond decided to take one last crack with his usual snark at Leo before moving on from the reprimand. Leo grinned, the brands on his skin flaring.
"Soon enough I will be." He retorted. He knew he shouldn't bite any further, not in public. Leo knew better. He knew he was the only one worthy to lead his house. In due time, so would everyone else.

For now, he dropped the aggression, just as Raimond did. With Iralux at his heels, he continued to orbit around Bani and Rai, the former being the only one of their generation that garnered even a modicum of respect from Leo. Besides, he liked the idea of getting a race in with her and her feathered bond-mate.

The Royal Plaza

Po was a mixture between relieved and nervous as Rayvath's massive attention turned from the retreating form of Madame Sinclaire and back entirely, to her petite-blonde-form. A timid smile at Ciraxis' response. The white dragon really was beautiful. Just like Rayvath. Each in their own, unique ways.

And she couldn't imagine living in a town that wasn't like Thanasis.

Were there places even out there like that? Without dragons? She knew from her father's older merchant days there were. A pity for them.

Hand slipped into the pocket of her skirts even as the hot breath of the massive dragon ruffled them. A small frown tugged at her lips as she looked between the two. She'd been saving to buy this. A gift for her father for the festival.

But for dragons it wouldn't be much.

It was one bar of a salted, rich chocolate. Taking it out, she began unwrapping the parchment around the bar that had cost at least a month of her wage. "I apologize to you both but it's probably not the size you are used to." With great care, she snapped the bar in half and then, pinching it tightly between her index-finger and thumb and holding her arms out wide and up in opposite directions, she offered each dragon a piece.

Praying that she'd still have her hands and fingers after this. A little flustered because she was unsure if she should throw a piece in the air...hold her palm flat. The idea of putting it on the ground was just an insult to the great beasts. One eye squeezed closed and the other remained open a slit as she waited, anxiously, unable to look completely away.

Taivas cocked his head and watched as the larger blue dragon slowly released Ha’Than from her grip. When the tensions seemed to ease, he craned his neck and surveyed the gathered riders and dragons. Then, his short little legs carried him toward Ryla Thesius and Kaari. The small white dragon’s fins flared as he warbled and suddenly bowed like a dog looking to play, though he wasn’t really much lower than he was standing completely straight.

“Well, not really new,” Evirea responded to Bani. “Just… doesn’t see much use. Silver and steel. I save the mithril armor for combat. I mean, not that this wouldn’t work in a pinch—well, actually, it’s not great. Restricts movement a bit too much.” The rider shook her head. “Anyway, my family paid good money for it. Can't risk it getting dented and burnt in a fight.” She pointed toward an intricate, gilt foliate pattern on her pauldron. Other similar patterns, as well stylized dragons and riders, curled and stretched over the metal. Very little was left untouched by some sort of engraving or relief.

Evirea glanced at Leovold. His barbed remarks hadn’t gone unnoticed, but she looked away quickly. Still, he was hovering nearby. Raimond seemed to move on quickly, but she wasn’t certain Leovold had intentions of dropping it, either. She shifted her weight onto one leg, then turned her head to look toward Raimond.

“It happens,” she said. “Uh… I mean, we shouldn’t let it put a damper on the rest of the day. Right?”

"After the festival would be lovely.." she answered after Cressida spoke, a casual smile cast over the woman as she detected sarcasm. "I doubt I'll be able to contain my curiosity until your errands are complete.." she smiled warmly, but it was a difficult thing to hold onto as Kaveh spoke.

Tight-jawed, Errune nodded to the young woman in response and gave no returning smile, "Very good."

Was it very good? He would likely lament this offer later while poring over his schedule for the next few days leading up to the census. Preparations for this annual journey through the lands of Thanasis were extensive and his team quite changed from last year. Three new faces to train, two older now gone into retirement. It certainly would not operate as smoothly as he would like it to.

Fitting a tour for a Risen servant into all of this?

His furrowed brow was the only indication of the amount of effort he presently used not to give it too much thought.

"We go to see my mother." Kaveh said, apparently entirely ignoring Errune's social discomfort. "Would either of you care to join us?"

Rune sputtered a cough, eyes shortly bulging and casting a look askance at Cressida. No. This wasn't how this interaction was supposed to go. They were supposed to exchange friendly, if meaningless, words and then the Prince would grow bored and be on his way to more entertaining things. He wasn't supposed to extend an offer to continue the suffering discussion.

With the Gods-loving Queen no less.

This was a nightmare. There was no way out of this. No dignified, proper way at least. If he was nothing else anymore, Rune was at least a man of propriety and social decorum ... when he appeared in society at all. Had to make up for the blunders of his siblings. Someone had to represent the Thesius family with grace, pride, and self-respect.

Clearing his throat, the Archivist's gaze shifted back to Kaveh, "We would be honored to greet the Queen with you, My Prince. Please, lead on."

Ryla stayed quiet as her brother got reprimanded. She didn't even say anything when Leovold scolded Rai. This was his battle and she was not going to get into fights with the people she worked with on a daily basis or Vhagor and Nyx. Nope...Rai was on his own this time. It was really just more proof as to why their parents hated him doing this instead of something constructive.

"It's fine, little brother," Ryla said in response to his apology. Honestly...she should have been used to this kinda thing by now. He was never one to pay attention to rules. It really was only a matter of time until he hurt himself or someone else.

"Evirea is right. Let's have fun today and you will receive your punishment tomorrow. Best not let it ruin today!"

Oh. Oh joy.

One could not refuse an invitation from any member of the royal family. It was a law that had been broken into Cressida's mind when she was but a lass. They'd have to go and endure whatever merriment it was that Kaveh had planned for the group.

When Errune looked towards her she shot a look of sympathy for but a second. Today was supposed to be a day for him to explore the festivities, relax, and perhaps reclaim a small sliver of his old life.

But now the day had turned into a nightmare and Cress was already planning a thousand ways to punish the spoiled brat of a prince if Rune encased himself in study for the next five years as a result of this endeavor.

"Of course my Prince," she said with as much honey to her voice as she could muster, "but let me call Laasya first."

The palace of Thanasis was large enough to accommodate dragons and it would be ill-fitting if she didn't arrive with her own in tow. A sharp whistle escaped betwixt her lips which was answered by a loud and raucous, "BRROAGGH!"

Swiftly a white dragon streaked through the city's skyline, sending parchment and confetti fluttering as Laasya passed just overhead of several stalls and civilians. Then she landed, after a clearing of on-lookers parted, right behind Rune and Cressida. Snarling out a snuff of smoke from her nostrils. "Laasya, we go to see the queen."

Cressida did not wait. House Murizi had protected the royals for generations. She knew the way to the palace well.

The Royal Plaza

Things continued to go well. He had known that neither could deny him of course, but the way the invitation was accepted was almost as important as the invitation itself. In the games of politics, the ones where even the smallest slight could be cause for a blood feud, one always had to watch what they said.

He smiled at Briseis as she whispered her question, his head tilting in a nod to her. "We are."

Kaveh had not thought they would rune into either Errune or Cressidia, but their presence would only be a boon. Some of the Nobles were already whispering, and he could see more than a few break off and head towards the Palace themselves.

He watched them for a brief second, then turned back towards his newfound guests.

"Excellent. My mother will be so very pleased." For once, the words were not sarcasm.

Of his entire family, his mother was the only one who had ever truly cared for him. The one who would be more than happy to see him. The added surprise of the Archivist and a Lady of house Murizi would likely only delight her. It was seldom that she ventured out from beyond the Palace nowadays, and new visitors were welcome.

How she would deal with Briseis? That he could not yet know, but he had his suspicions.

Kaveh seemed entirely unfazed when Laasya came crashing down, only offering that same odd smile and a tip of his head as Cressida set out. He motioned for Briseis to follow, and then quickly began to move towards the Palace as well.

Below, in the Plaza Rayvath was staring at the piece of chocolate in Polina's hand. Her massive eyes seemed to focus upon the small sliver of the treat, considering. One could almost see the calculations spilling around the dragons head. Then slowly, her massive maw began to open.

Her jaw opened, sulfur spilling from her breath. Tongue lulling out, more than twice the size of Polina herself. Rayvath's huge head slowly extended forward, her teeth glinting ever so slightly in the sun. "Rayvath!"

The Prince called as they stalked by the Dragon.

"Don't eat the servant." Rayvath's jaw snapped shut suddenly, withdrawing from Polina as her head turned and she gave Kaveh a look of utter indignation.

"H-H-High Ascendant Vhagor."

After dealing with the whelp, Vhagor had walked to Nyx's side to lay a calming hand upon her flank. She coiled her large neck round so that she could fix him with eyes that were larger than he was tall and blew a plume of sulphuric smoke across him in her odd version of a caress. When she had been younger, though he had never known her as a freshly hatched dragon, she had blown the plumes into different shapes to signal how she was feeling or discreet messages nobody else had understood. She was too large now for him to tell them for what they were unless she was far enough away now.

He was considering leaving them all behind and taking the coin Virdan had given him to go get a drink when the page ran up panting, stopping a wise distance back. He had on the uniform of the Ascended but no other decorations which meant he had not yet finished his basic training. Some officer had no doubt used it as an excuse to acquire the boy for his personal servant for the day.

"Lord Volantaeris has a message for you," he held out the piece of parchment but didn't take another step forward, his eyes fixed on Nyx's head as it rose once more to peer down at him, lips slowly pulling back. Vhagor stepped forward and broke the wax seal, his eyes running over the parchment quickly. His first reaction was to scowl but then, with a glance to the children still gathered, a plan came to mind instead and he gave a slight smile.

Without another word to the messenger he strode back towards the others.

"Children! Seeing as though we are in such spirits to show ourselves off today, Lord Volantaeris has a request. Who would like to partake the Thunder Race?"

The race happened every year during the festival. A series of obstacles and challenges awaited each rider and dragon. It was meant to show how well the two had bonded and their skill as a pair. Usually the event was a showcase of Thanasis' finest, but their finest had been called away to attend upon the Queen. The rest of Thanasis would have to put up with the muddled lot Vhagor had before him.

"Your house might be a minor one, but nobility you remain. You should start acting like it. You reflect poorly not just upon yourself, but on all of us."

Leovold may have held respect for Bani, but Bani gagged at the swagger he threw at Raimond. Raimond’s retort wasn’t much better, and between the two of them and the old bear Vhagor there were entirely too many men yelling about very boring things.

It was Evirea to the rescue with her shiny shiny silver. It didn’t fit the mold of what Bani was looking for, but it was oh-so fine looking. At the mention of good money Bani’s ears perked up. Evirea’s family wasn’t what it used to be, if history were to be believed, but the merchant clades tended to have deep reserves.

“Well you ever wanna add some punch to your gear, I can give you first crack at some prototypes I’m working out. They’re just missing some final touches, a good shine, ya know? But if you can help me get some of the trickier materials…” She shrugged suggestively. The help she was referring to was money, or at least the supply-chain connections money bought.

"Sorry about that. Guess that kinda killed the vibe, but I was looking forward to riding with you."

With a final wink to Evi she turned to Rai, putting her wild-eyed sneer back on to face him. Well… crane her neck to look up at him was a more accurate description. She opened her mouth but was cut off by the rush of a great white dragon swooping overhead.

“I guess I could let you keep up for a little bit...”

Who would like to partake the Thunder Race?"

“...or NOT!” She threw both of her arms up abruptly and shouted at Vhagor “YEAH!”

Her shrill voice cracked from excitement and caused Vexillion’s feathers to rise, and the black-feathered dragon blew an eager plume of smoke from his nostrils and scratched at the rough stone beneath them. Both the dragon and the girl were already itching to go skyward.

Ah, finally Bani had finally released Melisandre from her grimy little hands. Resisting the urge to sniff and see the damage done, Melisandre looked back at how everyone was clamoring about.

Let’s continue onward,” Melisandre told Eyrx and without saying her good byes to anyone, made her way to the main plaza with her dragon in tow. She would experience the rest of the festival in private with her eyes and ears wide open.

Bri's fingers clasped and she wrung them awkwardly in a brief lapse of self-awareness. The small smiles she offered to the Lord and Lady were laced with anxiety, she knew, but she tried her best to warm them and feign some semblance of nonchalance. At least, she supposed, they'd take some of the attention off of her... Or it might seem that she had built some sort of political posse.

At the sound of her response, Briseis turned to watch Laasya, her lips twisting into a smile of amusement much more natural than what she'd paid to any of the humans she'd just met. Dragons were easier for her to read, and far more wonderful. It was with that reminder to herself that Briseis straightened, and turned to follow after Kaveh. She belonged here, because Ciraxis had decided that she did, and she would not change a second of it because he was worth all of the hostility she faced.

Ciraxis took the opportunity of Rayvath's withdrawal to get a better look at the treat on offer. His nostrils flared as he sniffed at.. Human, coated in sugar. The white dragon's head dipped low, and in his confusion he flicked out his tongue to lick the girl, no doubt coating her in saliva from head to toe before he strutted off after Briseis, positively puffed-up at the sight of Laasya. Hells if he wasn't going to be the prettiest white dragon in Thanasis.

"Children! Seeing as though we are in such spirits to show ourselves off today, Lord Volantaeris has a request. Who would like to partake the Thunder Race?"
Suddenly Leo was quite a bit more invested in the day's festivities. Much as he was loathe to be referred to as a child, the prospect of participating in the Thunder Race was one he simply could not pass up. Especially not if it meant another crack at outpacing Bani.

"You can count me in, Master Vhagor." Leovold stated simply with a grin. Iralux was far less composed than he was. Bani and Vexillion's excitement was contagious, and the sun dragon's energy flared very visibly. Steam began to vent from the dragon's body as it stretched its wings and made clear that he wanted to go rough-house with his smaller, feathered cousin.

Leo placed a hand on Iralux's side and offered the dragon a stern look.
"Easy, Iralux. Just be patient a while longer. You'll get your chance."

• Yay
Reactions: Evirea Nymbos
A nervous, strained giggle left her mouth as saliva coated her clothes and self like a second skin. A jump at @Kaveh’s barking order. Apologetically looking at Rayvath. Somehow never doubting that the dragon wasn’t about to swallow her whole.

With a swoosh of her arm, she lobbed the teeny piece of chocolate high into the air for Rayvath.

A quick bow to the giant, royal dragon.

“You’ll have a much bigger pig tonight, as promised.”

“GIRL!!!” Sinclair barked somewhere across the square. Po let her gaze linger after Bri and Ciraxis and those she was with for a moment longer, before she scurried away like a dutiful servant. Leaving slobbered footsteps in her wake.

Raimond met his sister's assurances with a smile. She'd forgiven him for far worse, and knowing that at the very least Ryla was always at his side brought him some measure of comfort in the wake of an oncoming day of hellish labor with Vhagor. "Thanks Ryla. I figure if you were going to hate me for acting like a dumbass, you'd have already started by now, right?" Sometimes they argued as though they despised one another, but that was a normal sibling thing, right?

Then he turned to Bani, that competitive little sneer finding her so easily the moment they locked eyes. They'd been talking smack to each other about a race today for months, and for a moment looked like they might not get the opportunity to go through with the competition they'd been looking forward to. A shame, because he really wanted to put the little runt in her place...

Maybe things weren't all bad though, no sooner had the thought that he might have to postpone their race crossed his mind did Vhagor for volunteers to take part in the Thunder Race.

Thesius swung his head back to the man who'd just had him held by the scruff with an entirely different expression on his face now. The Thunder Race was for the top riders in the city! Taking part in it was one of the few things that Raimond actually strived for in this city, and as far as he was concerned, he belonged in it! "Count me in! If I fly even a little too unsafely, I'll do a whole damned week with you Vhagor!"

A win in a Thunder Race would earn him recognition! It'd be something his folks could put on the mantle, maybe even slingshot him into a spot of significance beyond being "The Thesius kid". He had to take the opportunity. First, he paid a glance to his sister, wondering if she might jump in on this. Then, looking over at Bani, he stuck his tongue out. "Gonna eat my dust, brat."

And so their little group departed: Cressida taking up the lead with the Prince as she was want and tasked to do. Errune waited with withered resolve, watching as the dragons found their own way either with or without, and then with a expertly masked grimace down at Baron he pushed off his cane to follow.

The others walked at pace. Errune hobbled after them at his own delayed gait. He could manage to walk short distances and maintain his regal, noble posture, but longer stints tended to mar the look of the man who liked to appear as though he had a plan. Mostly he just looked like he was ready to maim someone with his cane.

Baron dutifully walked at his side.

Kaveh Cressida Briseis

Ryla watched the others affirm their intent to partake in the Thunder Race. She was not going to be doing that. Unlike the others, she was not in the spirit to show off in a race that was questionable on its obstacles and challenges.

"I think I will pass this time, High Ascendant," Ryla finally answered after everyone else had. "I have some news to share with our older brother..."

She didn't but it was a good excuse to get the fuck outta there and find Rune. He always made everything better.

Culling two from the herd with just the threat of taking place was no mean feat.

"Excellent," Vhagor nodded to what he had left and then clambered onto Nyx's back who took to the skies almost immediately. She circled the main plaza once and then winged her way out towards the harbour. It was one of the few times the nobility and dignitaries left the safe haven of the inner wall and mingled with the every day people of the city. There had been many talks about how the Thunder Race could take place so that the majority of it could be seen from the upper levels but it was simply impossible. Truthfully, unless you had a dragon, it was hard to see it all anyway but for those not blessed the harbour was the best point to gather at for it was the start and finish of the race.

It was also where the most accidents occurred.

Cheers rose from the crowds already gathered there as the shadows of dragons fell over them. Nyx landed on one of several podiums built out over the sea, some of which were occupied by other riders. Nearly every breed of dragon besides the Kesh were represented and they eyed one another warily. No doubt his students would recognise the faces of the others gathered for their names were legends amongst the population.

"I thought you were meant to bring us a challenge, Vhagor?" one woman called. Zelda sat astride one of the sea serpents who had crawled its way out of the waves not long ago if the water dripping from its blue-green scales was any indication. The beast dwarfed even Nyx who snarled her challenge at the serpent.

"And I thought you were meant to be retired?" he asked the white-haired woman who threw back her head and laughed.

"It seems we're being pitted as the Old against the Youth of today," she smiled, looking over those who had just gathered with a twinkling in her eyes. "I promise Old Tharafax will go easy on you," the mammoth of a dragon turned his ancient head towards the group and grinned.

Vhagor couldn't help the slight smile.

"Well, good luck everyone,"
he nodded and then Nyx burst once more into the sky.

OOC: The Thunder Race

The idea is simple, fastest to the finish line wins. The race encircles the whole of the city and presents various challenges that will challenge each dragon uniquely. The idea is to see how in sync the rider and dragon is in order to avoid catastrophe. Other riders will try and knock you from the sky in order to win, so watch out for traps!

Part one: Speed
- Take your sheep from the pen and deposit the sheep in the basket placed in the Royal Plaza (without eating or setting fire to it)

Part two: Agility
- Into the mountains; make your way through narrow gaps, hoops, over fallen debris and under low lying ceilings.

Part three: Cunning
- Find the hidden diamond egg (not real) in your crest colours. It is hidden amongst the deep caves of the mountains.

Part four: Power
- Fight your way back to the finish line in the harbour against other dragon riders whose intention is to take you and your dragon out of the skies.

They approached the palace's entrance with dragons, and a very good Baron, in tow.

Cress had been in the royal throne room several times in her life. The earliest, that she could remember, was when she was just a girl. Instead of the armor of the Thanasis dragon riders she wore an elegant dress and her hair had been braided by some of the Murizi servants.

It was important for all of the most prominent noble family's to train their children, from a young age, to learn proper decorum in front of the royal family.

"To the throne room?" she asked Kaveh, unsure of where in the palace the queen typically resided.

Their walk was not too far, and it wasn't long before they stood at the entrance of the palace. Cressida asking her question as they climbed the steps. "No."

His head shook.

"My mother will be on the upper balconies." The King and his other sons would be overseeing the tournaments, Kaveh knew. Nasri was always rather fond of the races, and his father wouldn't be caught anywhere but at the Tournament of Alastra. The old man would rather die than missing the sword bouts.

Kaveh's mother however was all too different. She enjoyed the celebrations of the day, but not because of the tournaments, races, or anything else. The Queen liked watching the city, the people. She enjoyed the mirth of the commons, and the atmosphere the festival brought.

For a few seconds, the Prince waited for Errune to catch up. Then he motioned to the tallest spire of the Palace itself.

"Lord Errune, you are more than welcome to accompany me on Rayvath." The Prince offered, the Great Dragon having squeezed herself into place behind the others. Her head bowed low and her wings squished against her side so she did not take up quite so much space. "The stairs are quite a journey."

Whether Errune took his offer or not, it would only be a few seconds later that Rayvath sprung from the ground.

Her great wings extended, and with only a beat she launched herself into the air. Soaring high, the commons below shivering as a great shadow swept around the tower. She climbed and climbed, until talon feet extended, grasping the edge of the balcony.

Perhaps better called a roof top, the balcony itself was massive. Large enough for a whole Gala, though right now occupied only by several seats, lounging chairs, and a gaggle of men and women whom the Queen had invited. Beautiful lace tents kept the sun at bay, and servants seemed to be rushing to and fro.

A score of ladies in waiting let out gasps of shock, their dresses fluttering with the beat of Rayvath's wings as the great Dragon came to settle with a surprising amount of grace on the far side of the balcony.

From the gaggle of gawking geese came a woman dressed in resplendent silks. Gold and jewels of untold wealth decorating her with an odd sort of subtlety. On her face was a beaming smile, the soft warmth in her eyes an almost direct counter to Kaveh's rage.

"Kaveh." She said warmly. "What are you doing here? I thought you would be in your rooms."

There was no judgment to her tone, just the simple truth. "I was...convinced, to step outside."

The Queen smiled, gently grasping her sons cheeks and kissing him on the forehead in a traditional greeting of mother to son. "Wonderful."

She said stepping back. "And who did you bring with you?"

Gonna eat my dust, brat.

Bani’s expression had gone from impish to manic. “Lemme get a good look at’cha,” she reached up as high as she could to clap her gloved hands to hold Rai’s face steady. She squinted one eye, then the next.

“There we go! Wanted to remember your face, since I’m not gonna see it again until you follow me to the finish line.”

She withdrew her hands and jumped back, sliding the red-tinted lenses over her eyes and giving a sharp, short whistle to Vexillion. On cue, the feathered dragon trotted forward and flipped Bani onto his back with a low swoop of his head. He took off before Bani’s seat hit the saddle, leaving the others with only the rider’s ever more distant cackling.

She skirted low over the rooftops towards the sparkling sea. Nyx was not difficult to follow, and Vexillion alighted on another pedestal with ease. The roar of the crowd was fuel, and she gave them a smile and a wave. Her smile broadened at seeing Zelda. Bani couldn’t race her if she was retired, and if she couldn’t race her she couldn’t beat her. Now, it seemed, she would get the chance. Zelda’s dragon could swallow Bani and Vex in an instant, but it’d have to catch them first.

“You’re being weighed down by all that trash.” Bani sat up rigid against the snobbish voice to her left, and indeed all of the hastily pinned medals on her person clattered and glinted as she turned to face it. “I’d be embarrassed to wear illegitimate trinkets like that to an event like this. Of course, shame was never your strong suit.”

Andras Malennis, an old and boring and particularly sore loser that Bani had the misfortune of flying against for years. He still couldn’t get over losing to her. Ungrateful, really, since she was teaching him a very valuable lesson: just because mommy and daddy get you a fancy dragon doesn’t mean it’ll win.

Unfortunately, he did win. Quite a lot, actually, considering he had a pedestal of his own. Bani had to do everything herself, it seemed, including putting talentless toffs in their place.

Bani growled back. “Sanctioned races are for training laps! But hey! I’ll be happy to beat you again at any of them!” She tugged on her jacket to emphasize a particularly shiny golden pin. “Maybe this one, or hey! This one too! Ooh! Remember this one? Where did you finish again? I can’t remember. And neither can anyone else!” Vexillion’s feathers were vibrating with the shared anger of the two of them.

Andras’ face turned sour and he hissed “You won’t have your tricks here. You won’t be able to cheat your way to gold this time.”

Bani rolled her head back in a dramatic and exasperated groan. “Uuuuuaaaaaagh! You lost fair and square just get over it.” She was bored of talking to him now, so she didn’t listen to anything else he said. As if she needed to cheat to beat him.

As they neared the start of the race, Bani leaned forwards on Vexillion’s lustrous black feathers. The dragon crouched, opening his wings where the tips quivered gently in the coastal breeze. The muscles of his limbs were coiled and loaded to the breaking point, ready to snap the pair of them into the sky in an instant. The world around them quieted, and with deep and steady breaths, all that existed was Bani, Vex, and the thrill of flight.

Then someone said something about sheep.

“Wait- what?”

Evirea raised an eyebrow at the word “children,” but listened intently nonetheless, then groaned and slumped her shoulders at Raimond’s taunts. She let it slip her mind as she tilted her head skyward in thought, seemingly unaware that the others had already left while she weighed her decision. The rider looked down at the lovingly detailed armor she’d just been discussing and sighed. With a whistle, Taivas flared his fins and waddled over to Evirea. She climbed on, pulled her visor down, strapped in, and off they went.

The white dragon landed on one of the perches and craned his neck, clacking his jaws as he took stock of their competition. Evirea glanced at each of the gathered racers, tilting her head at the massive sea serpent that slithered on up to take its place amongst the competitors. She could only shake her head at that one. She leaned forward and patted Taivas, who turned his head to stare at his rider and rumbled. After a mental nudge from Evirea, he shifted his focus back to the task at hand. The white dragon’s wings twitched, his tail lashed, and his claws dug into the stone perch, ready to take off in a split second.

• Wonder
Reactions: Bani