Fable - Ask The Warmth of Dragons

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first
The Royal Palace

'My mother will be on the upper balconies.'
Of course she would. She cast Lord Errune an uneasy look at the Prince's offer, but didn't allow it to linger should he sense her pity. It wasn't lost on her that he had no dragon in tow, and she vaguely recalled overhearing the tale told some time ago, but it hadn't been something she'd have drawn attention to. Having lost his own dragon, the last thing he needed was pity from someone like her who had gained what most claimed she hadn't deserved. She would not offer the same as the Prince had, and she felt her stomach twist at the predicament this left the archivist in. Her gaze paused on Lady Cressida, a close friend of his it seemed, hoping that she might step in to ease the discomfort she could only imagine the Lord might feel at such a thing..

Her smile was apologetic, and she cleared her throat, trying her best not to do so awkwardly.. "Our Prince has an allergy to stairs.." she murmured with a half smirk as she turned toward the dragon strutting proudly nearby. "Ciri.." she called, and he bowed his head as the two met.

"Please don't let me fall in front of these people.. Follow Rayvath.. No showing off." Bri whispered as she climbed onto the creature's back, and braced herself.

Ciraxis did as he was asked, for once, and the flight was quick and relatively painless. They landed just behind Rayvath and Kaveh, and after a wary glance around at those present and finding more than a few curious eyes upon her, Briseis slid down the smooth scale and steadied herself. Her fingers were laced in front of her as she stepped out from Ciraxis' protective wing and followed after Kaveh, stopping a few paces behind and dropping into a very well practised curtsy..

"Your Highness."

Sometimes Raimond wondered how such a huge ego fit into such a tiny package, the tyke's hands squishing his face together and staring up at him like she was taking a mental picture of him. Cheeky, but way too cocky for a pipsqueak.

"You mean because all you'll be seeing is my back for the foreseeable future." Rai snaps back with a competitive look of mirth on his face as she lets him go and bounds back to her Dragon, Vexillion. Rai didn't actually dislike the girl much at all. If anything, the two of them were very similar. The excitement of getting to race against a speedy little thing like Vex though... that warranted all the smack talk in the world.

Ha'Than eagerly nudged Raimond's back, eager to fly after their mutual rivals. The boy chuckled and patted his companion's snout firmly, climbing up and onto the white beast and taking flight close behind Bani and the others. Though you wouldn't be wrong if you swore they were a little bit gentler with their liftoff this time around.

Raimond took a considerably less treacherous route through the city than he had on his way to the festivities. It wasn't nearly as fun, but having already tempered Vhagor's wrath once, he wasn't looking to do it again and being barred from the race. Ha'Than squirmed and huffed a bit as they flew over some spaced apart trees and tall buildings that he would have much rather gone between, but Rai gave a laugh and ran his hand along his neck.

"Soon, buddy. Be patient for me."

If they even remotely performed well today, Rai would be happy. He trusted Ha'Than with his life, and he was more than confident in his ability to succeed. Landing on one of the tall pedestals, Raimond hooked his legs into the loops hanging from his saddle and raised his arms high, although he could definitely hear a few boos mixed in with the crowd, perhaps some he'd spooked earlier were showing their appreciation now.

"Now remember, buddy. This isn't lunchtime. We have to keep these sheep alive, alright? Like we practiced."

• Popcorn
Reactions: Kaveh
Of course.

The balconies. Why wouldn't the Queen be there and instead in a place that was far more easily accessible to the world-weary and handicapped like himself? There was no stopping the deflated sigh of breath that escaped his lips. Today was meant to be a day of trials, tribulations, and torturous transiting and though he'd stepped out into the challenge willingly but begrudgingly, Rune had never expected to be put to this sort of task.

His arch nemesis beyond socializing: stairs.

Then the Prince had the gall, nigh the audacity to offer him a ride on the big red beast. Errune had barely enough time to open his mouth to politely decline, let alone join the Prince on the dragon's back, before Rayvath took flight. No, there would be no riding of dragons. His dragon riding days had ended years ago. A stoic and underwhelmed look met Briseis' glance, the man's brows furrowing as he felt pity of all things upon her gaze. Luckily she proved herself insightful and didn't utter a word before departing as well.

Rune purposefully did not look at Cressida as he took a long, sharp breath through his nostrils, reaffirmed his grip on his cane, and headed toward the first set of steps. Baron panted and followed with a light tug. He wasn't a big fan of stairs, either.

Doubtless it would be nightfall by the time he arrived at the top.

Last edited:
Cressida kept her tongue silent as the nemesis of the stairs presented itself.

It wasn't an ideal situation and she had to strongly resist the urge to offer an arm to help Rune ascend. Instead she waited for the prince and Lady Briseis to take off before motioning towards Laasya who understood her message. Whenever it was that they arrived to the upper balcony her albino dragon would be circling overhead after she followed in Rayvath's and Ciraxis' path.

"You must admit," she said while slowly, ever so slowly, ascending the stairs with errune, "this is far more interesting than sitting in a dark room with your nose buried in your books."

Perhaps she was mistaken.

No. She was certainly mistaken.

Errune would much rather be in his quiet study reading up on crop rotations or census data or whatever it is that he had found purpose in now. But Cress was glad to simply have her old friend back. If only for a day, particularly after how this day had shaped out.

Once they'd arrived at the upper balcony, and it truly had taken some time, she gave a customary bow as was befit for the royalty of Thansis. "Cressida Murizi, your majesty," she said in a respectful voice.

• Bless
Reactions: Kaveh
Kaveh made absolutely no pause in the introduction. Almost as soon as he felt Briseis step up behind him he spoke. A wide smile carried on his face, though a flicker of annoyance rushed through him that his other two guests had not yet arrived. "Mother, this is Briseis."

Gently he gestured towards his ward.

"She is th-" Before he could finish his sentence the Queen broke in. A smile on her face as she stepped forward.

"I do keep up with the news, Kaveh." The Queen's gaze swept over Briseis. A sort of measuring quality to the way she looked at the girl. "Shirian and the others have been taking care of her?"

Kaveh smiled, and then nodded. "Of course, Mother."

The Queen stared for a moment longer, and then nodded. "Good."

She added with a nod.

"You may find many enemies on the perch on high, young lady." The Queen said, her words dropped to a whisper. "But I shall not be one of them."

The intention made clear, the Queen offered another smile and then swept her two guests away. Barely offering Kaveh enough time to object and state that at least two more guests were on their way. His mother of course thrust such things aside, insisting the Prince and his guest dine and enjoy sips of wine.

She spoke with Briseis for a time, digging out information about her time as a servant and her recent ascension. No malice at all in her tone or craft, but simple curiosity as she learned more and more.

Interrupted only when Errune and Cressida finally made it to the balcony.

The Queen stood once more from her lounge as the two arrived, peering at them with a small mark of disapproval. Her tongue letting out a 'tut' as Cressida introduced herself.

"Of course, Lady Murizi, you are most welcome." She said with a smile, then turned a rather dour expression onto Errune. "And you, you are ever a pleasure at my side Lord Thesius, but really. The stairs?"

The Queen shook her head. "Is such a mountain worthy yo climb just to see me?"

'I do keep up with the news, Kaveh...'

Briseis, servant of house Sahar, had been news to the Queen of Thanasis. She desperately tried not to gnaw on the inside of her cheek as the woman set her sights on her and the small, polite smile sat apprehensively on her lips as she was approached.

'You may find many enemies on the perch on high, young lady. But I shall not be one of them.'
A breath she hadn't been aware that she'd been holding tumbled free and the tension in her shoulders visibly eased. "That is a relief to know, Your Highness." she smiled warmly, casting a glance to Kaveh as the woman led her to take a seat next to her at her table.

She spoke honestly and easily with the Queen as she asked about her life, grateful for the lack of judgement or scrutiny that the woman addressed her with. She was as she had hoped, from Kaveh's description of her..

The arrival of Lady Murizi and Lord Errune caused her smile to weaken only briefly, given how long it had taken them to climb the many palace steps to get here, which was a test in itself for someone more able than Errune. It was everything not to get up and pull out a chair for him, instead she offered them both a quiet smile, her gaze falling a little awkwardly to sip at her wine as the Queen addressed the archivist.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Cressida
He was by all accounts exhausted with pain from the long trek up the stairs. Face pale and tightly drawn, the Head Archivist offered the Queen a slow, rigid bow upon arrival and felt the prickling sensation of disapproval from both the Queen and the Prince. How utterly mortifying. Suddenly his fall on the stairs into the Royal Square earlier seemed so innocent and fun.

The man hovered for a moment in silence at the Queen's admonishment, taking a moment to steel himself further against the searing hot poker figuratively branding the right side of his body from within.

"It is my honor and my privilege to make my Queen's company on such an important day, no matter the number of stairs," Rune replied kindly to her with a gentle smile he spared for very few anymore, "and I would not decline such an offer from the Prince to join him nor spoil Lady Cressida's invitation. It is always a pleasure to see our Queen."

Baron gave a low whine at his side.

The trek up the stairs had been hellish for her old mentor. On one occasion she wondered if she might actually have to carry the man to complete the climb, although she doubted Baron would've allowed such an insult to his master to occur.

Once they'd arrived at the balcony though the view was impressive enough and the Queen was as hospitable as always. Whenever this concluded it was possible that Cress could simply call Laasya to give both herself and Errune a ride down but after what had happened to Asari the warrior from House Murizi was always careful not to mention her own dragon. Not allow Errune to see the beast who had saved his life after...

"The pleasure is all mine, your majesty." A curt nod of her head before she refocused her vision on the Queen.

Despite the honeyed words Cressida stayed on her toes. Unsure what the reason was that the Prince wished them up here during the festival. But, there was no reason to believe the Queen had any knowledge of whatever game was being played at.

Being a formal occasion she had to resist the urge to give Baron the attention he clearly needed.

The Queen smiled, and then quickly waved over towards the center of the balcony. "Please do join us."

She was not so ignorant as to keep the Archivist standing.

Some at court might have done so, a subtle flex of the power their simple will could hold, but the Queen had never been cruel. She swept forward, craving a path across the balcony until the small group was besides the collection of comfortable sofas and chairs that had been brought up here.

The nobles that had been there before seemed to divide into two camps. Some noticeably stepping away from the gathering around the Queen while others continued to be almost glued in place. Watching things carefully as the Prince and his cadre took their places around the Monarch. "So, how are we finding the festivities?"

She asked with a smile.

"I yearn to walk the streets." The Queen lamented. "But I'm always warned against it."

As they sat quietly Kaveh leaned gently towards Briseis, a quiet whisper leaving his lips. "Do you understand why we're here?"

The Prince asked quietly.

There was a faint glimmer of awe in her gaze as she watched the Lord respond so decorously to the Queen, despite how he likely must have felt. She felt almost empathic in her tension, which she found eased as permission was granted for him to sit on a comfortable chair.

Briseis considered the Queen's question as she sat, smoothing out her skirts and folding her hands atop her knees with a glance across the skies above Thanasis, and the dragons that performed above the crowds..

"It's always been wondrous to me.. But, never more so than now. This year, my perspective is quite different.." she gave a nervous breath of a laugh and a glance toward the white dragon, perched and watching close by.

Kaveh's question caused her brows to furrow, and she glanced sidelong at him, feeling as naive as ever.. "To.. Meet, and drink wine with your mother?..." she asked quietly..

• Aww
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Kaveh and Cressida
"Thank you, Your Grace," Rune offered the Queen another small bow before stiffly making his way over to sitting area and choosing one of the chairs off to the side. The choice of his seat likely was a tell of many things for his station within the Court, but primarily he required room for his hound. With but a silent gesture from the man, Baron gratefully plopped himself down with a huff.

Relief was never so welcome as now and the Archivist soaked it in readily. He'd never ask after luxury for himself, but he'd never turn down the offer of it either. Rune's gaze shifted from the Queen to the first to answer her question, his brow furrowing faintly in thought at the young Lady's response. His eyes didn't linger when the Prince leaned in to whisper with her, and instead returned to the Queen.

"I had not attended the festivities in several years," the reasons of which he felt no need to bring up in conversation - everyone already knew them, "this year the Lady Cressida..." Rune looked to his once-pupil and long-time friend, "convinced me to return. It is as I remember: a joyous occasion."

Though he presently looked as though he'd never known joy in his life, but that was beside the point.

"A fair warning indeed. Your safety would be difficult to assure in crowds like the ones below. With all of Thanasis in attendance..." far too many things could go wrong, and quickly, even with the Royal Guard at her protection, "I daresay you would not be given the opportunity to enjoy it as you like. The people do so love their Queen."

Thankfully the queen was kind enough to offer them seating. She wasn't certain how much longer Errune could've kept standing and the question of catching him should he faint kept nagging at her conscious.

Once seated though the conversation progressed. Cress positioning herself inbetween Rune and the royalty while she refrained from reacting to the queen's wish of walking the streets. Surely if she wished to walk through the streets of Thanasis she simply could request to take part in House Murizi's procession. It wouldn't be the same as free roaming but she'd be perfectly safe and as their march ended at the palace...

Her lack of emotion remained as Briseis gave her reviews of the festivities and the prince whispered into her ear.

Only after her former mentor spoke did she chime in with anything. "I'm glad you chose to return to the festival." She said with a genuine smile that was meant for Errune alone.

"The people do love the Queen." This time another smile followed, less genuine but intended for the royal family. "Our House would never allow any harm to befall you, if you ever wished to walk the streets of the festival again."

Almost on cue a loud roar was heard over head as Laasya, ever dilligent, circled the balcony and called out from above.

The Queen looked at Briseis with no small amount of sympathy, her head dipping in a small nod. "Oh that it must, my dear."

Ever had she been insightful. Most thought it was the King who was so keen on those around him, but the truth was it was always his beloved bride who could read people the best. There was a reason she almost always sat besides her husband at court.

"I would imagine a great many things are different for you now." Her expression seemed to shift for a moment, as though a sad thought occurred to her, lips pursed for a moment but the face she made quickly faded as Errune began to speak.

She smiled softly at the Archivist.

"Perhaps you are right." The Queen continued. "But I do so miss the people. It has been a long time since I have walked among them."

As his mother continued to speak Kaveh leaned over. His expression giving nothing away as he gently offered Briseis a rebuke. "Yes, but no."

He whispered quietly.

"Look at the nobles, those who had surrounded mother when we arrived." The Prince continued quietly. "Some are angry, while others are reconsidering. They see you with my mother, and some of the assumptions they had about who you are, what you are melts away. Understand?"

Kaveh quieted his voice just as Cressida finished speaking, witnessing his mother practically light up. "Truly?"

A laugh came from the Queens lips, sounding like a melodious song.

"Do not say such things, young lady." She continued with a shake of her head. "You tempt an old woman to test the Dragons of fate."

"Very much so, Your Grace." Briseis offered a small smile. It was no secret that she'd spent most of her life as a servant, but she had no shame in it. She had come from worse places, and serving a noble house had been a rather comfortable step up for her. She had been luckier than most who'd come from the gutters of Thanasis. Now, she was luckier than most people in Thanasis in its entirety, and the life she was now immersed in was still quite surreal.

She sipped on her wine as the others spoke, her gaze sweeping to the clusters of nobility who had splintered from the Queen's company, many of whom were regarding her with scrutiny.

"Oh.." her brows lifted as she answered Kaveh quietly. "I understand." she confirmed, her lips twisting into a wry smile. "Always calculating and concocting.." she murmured at him. "I don't expect to make any friends.." Though, it might at least make some think twice about trying to have her murdered.

"I've yet to see any of house Sahar." - something that she had been dreading more than dragon flight. She half wondered if she'd shamed them into hiding, but she was certain that witnessing a friendly chat between her and the Queen would cause them to reconsider their opinion of her.

Our House would never allow any harm to befall you, if you ever wished to walk the streets of the festival again.

Do not say such things, young lady. She continued with a shake of her head. You tempt an old woman to test the Dragons of fate.

Rune could not quite quell the 'mm' of concurrence with the Queen here. The internal cringe he'd managed to keep to himself at Cressida's words - to make such an offer and promise was a poor test of fate for not just herself, but her family. Even in his prime, before his life began to crumble, Errune Thesius never would have spoken such things.

He knew better.

A cautionary glance was all he offered to his former pupil, though he remained firmly reticent on continuing that particular subject of discussion.

"Forgive the change of subject," the Archivist intoned, "but I wish to extend my gratitude to Your Highness for your impeccable referral of Miss Suli Lume. She has already proven herself a valuable asset to the Archives and seems well appointed for the role as my Administrative Assistant. I expect this year's Census will be the most efficient yet with her managing it."

• Bless
Reactions: Kaveh and Cressida
Cress had spoken out of turn. It was why her family weren't known for being politically savvy nor were they financiers. They were simply the family who bred some of the most ferocious dragons in Thanasis. The family who had charged headlong into whichever fight the royal family had pointed them at for generations.

She was confident that if the Queen marched with the Murizi during the festival no harm would befall her.

Anyone who tried would be cut down before they could utter the word, 'regicide.' But Errune, as usual, was right. Between her majesty's laughter and Rune's simple look she knew to drop it. "My apologies your majesty," a simple bow of her head accompanied the apology.

She sat quietly as Errune changed the subject and spoke of more positive matters. Ignoring the Prince and the dragon thief whispering off to the side.

"The game never stops." Kaveh whispered quietly to his companion, a hint of sadness tinging his voice.

The Prince did not like playing the Great Game. He did not enjoy the politics nor trying to scrap for his survival as much as he had to. It would have been far more preferable to be left alone, to not have to worry about a knife coming for his back.

But he didn't have that choice, and neither did Briseis.

"Perhaps mext year, Lady Murizi." The Queen said quite happily, her attentions not to be entirely diverted from her stated desire. "I would not spring such a thing on you so suddenly, but a years time?"

Kaveh's mother mused. "That should be plenty of time to prepare, no?"

The Prince turned his attention to his mother for a brief moment. A small smile touching his lips as she actually considered the soldiers offer. And his father wondered where his children got their rebellious streak from.

Her Majesties attentions turned back towards Errune, a bright smile beaming on her face. "Wonderful! Suli is so talented, I knew she would thrive in your service. She can be a bit flighty, but under your tutelage I am sure she has much acclaim to gain."

Kaveh listened to his mother for a moment, smiling pleasantly before he leaned back into Briseis and whispered.

"No." He said in confirmation. "They are still displeased with my family for offering you protection."

• Popcorn
Reactions: Errune Thesius
“What the fuck kinda race is this,” Bani muttered to herself, angrily adjusting her goggles and fastening the clasps on her jacket. “Fuckin’ cargo carryin’ fuckin’ sheep fuckin’ drake-shit”

Vexillion gave a baritone chitter and flared his feathers, turning to look at her with a golden eye. “Don’t look at me like that,” Bani said, securing a thick veil of cloth over her mouth and nose. “We’ve beaten things rigged even worse against us.”

Far from rigged, the race authorities had actually seen to it that some degree of attention was paid to a dragon’s size. In the pen in front of Bani, for instance, there was only one sheep. The others that had been present were being moved to a pen in front of a dragon that looked like it could have swallowed her, Vexillion, and two-thirds of Leovold's ego in a single bite. Even so, one sheep would nearly double the weight that the feathered dragon had to carry.

Racers on your marks!

“Shit! Balls. Alright. Here we go. Here we fuckin’ go!”

Get set!

Bani set herself low in Vex’s saddle. She pulled up her knees and tucked her elbows in tight. Every muscle in her body coiled itself while her mount did the same. Vexillion spread his wings with a powdery flourish - an angel cast in black. Then, in the moment before that final word was said, every part of Bani relaxed and she slipped into the sweet serenity of the coming dragonflight. Vexillion’s feathers flattened, and he too exhaled a long and smokey breath.

GO!!!

The acceleration hit Bani’s lungs before the rest of her body could catch up. Vexillion leapt into the sky like he was clawing free of gravity. He went up, then leveled, and in the moment of weightlessness Bani had time to take a breath before the pair of them hurtled towards the shimmering sea.

The diminutive pair had to get as much of a head start as possible. They would lose speed and precious time to the larger dragons once they got their sheep, and the less catch-up they had to play later on the better. The pen approached at alarming speed.

We only get one chance at this, bud. They would never regain their speed if Vex had to lift the beast from a stand-still, and there was no time to fly around for a second approach. They were coming in searing hot, and Bani braced for what was about to happen.

Vexillion waited until the last moment to untuck his forelimbs and latched on to the sheep. Bani lurched forwards at the sudden drop in speed and her dragon growled in protest as his shoulders took the full force of the impact. ”Holy, FUCK!” They cleared the pen, an explosion of wool trailing in their wake.

They needed to regain altitude, but the stupid, smelly, heavy sheep was keeping them down. “Come on, Vex,” she gave a gentle squeeze of her legs around the dragon’s middle. “You got this. You’re the best there is.”

A snort of determination, and the pair slowly began to ascend as a very large shadow began to approach from behind.

Raimond Thesius Evirea Nymbos

Last edited:
The hint of dejection in Kaveh's tone wasn't lost on her. It was naive of her to have once looked up at the palace from the city streets and believe that those who lived with wealth and power lived happier lives than those without. Though many things were easier without the worries that weighed on the impoverished, the wealthy were not without their troubles, and they were certainly not as content and carefree as she had once believed they must be. Life had certainly been simpler before she'd deep dived into the world of politics.

Briseis listened to the conversations in polite quiet, swirling and sipping her wine, her gaze cast onto the floor as Kaveh replied. "Ah.." she gave a single nod and her smile was strained. There had been much divide over Kaveh's decision to provide her with sanctuary, both between the noble houses and within the royal family itself. She was just as glad that the King nor Kaveh's brothers had made an appearance.

• Sip
Much to be expected for audiences with royalty, the day passed by slowly. Even with his own experience with the Queen and even the Prince, Errune found keeping their company to be tedious and exhausting. House Thesius would be remiss to make a misstep before any nobility, let alone royalty, and so keeping to the social etiquette and propriety required for their company meant measuring every word, every gesture, every pause in conversation, every inflection of tone and nuance of expression.

Not just of oneself, but of those in accompaniment.

Though only an hour or so had gone by, it felt as if the entire afternoon were spent. Rune did well to keep up with pleasant discussion, but his own social fortitude had nearly drained entirely and the man almost wished for the torture of the stairs rather than continue to remark upon idle chit-chat. Finally, a long pause in the chatter stretched while servants arrived with fresh treats, tea, and food.

"Your Eminence with your permission, I regretfully must take leave of your company," Rune announced quietly to the Queen as he took hold of his cane, "it is time for me to take my medication and Baron has not seen grass since early morning," yes even the hound needed relief.

"As always, it has been a wonderful pleasure to take lunch with you," even if he hadn't touched a bite. The man's pale eyes shifted to Cressida and briefly reflected upon his promise for the day, "and if I may steal away Lady Cressida for assistance on the journey back downstairs?"

• Bless
Cress had made it known to Errune, and anyone close to her, that she preferred the battlefield far more than she enjoyed any of the frill and pomp of noble customs. It was necessary for a member of her house to speak and act in a decorum appropriate for such an occasion but that did not mean she had to enjoy herself.

So, when Rune mentioned taking his leave she rose from her seat almost as soon as he spoke her name.

”A pleasure your majesty,” she gave a customary bow and waited for the queen to dismiss the pair, turning on her heel once freed and accompanying her old mentor and Baron back towards the stairway down.

It would’ve made more sense for her to call Laasya, for the trio to ride the dragon down to the bottom of the keep, but she knew that option was never really available. Prying at it made little sense either, Errune was a proud man but she believed it unlikely he’d ever ride upon a dragon again. Too painful.

As they took their first step down the stairwell she spoke. ”Well, this day got away from me far quicker than I would’ve liked. But, at next year’s festival, we will hit up every food stall in the Royal Plaza.” She kept her pace slow, ensuring that she walked parallel to Baron and the retired warrior.

”Perhaps we’ll try wearing a disguise,” her voice was light as she stifled a snicker.

• Nervous
At the very least, the descent of stairs went faster than the ascent. Which meant only that Rune moved a modicum more quickly, in all likelihood still painfully slow for someone fully able. The man held cane and leash in one hand while his other maintained the banister with a white-knuckled grip while he hobbled his way down.

"Your confidence in my attending next year is exceptionally high," he remarked with a pained scowl, "the day is not yet dead and neither am I. We will attend to any booth and stall you wish, Cressida."

Last edited:
  • Bless
Their pace was quicker than she anticipated and Cressida nodded at the second piece of what Rune stated, ignoring his statement regarding his reluctance about the following year.

”Dragon fire noodles?” A spicy noodle dish that he’d likely be familiar with. ”Then we grab shaved iced?”

The day was still relatively young, plenty of time for her to insist Baron needed exercise as an excuse to visit vendors and food stalls.

• Thoughtful
Familiar, yes, but - "I am not hungry," said the man with a wince and a grunt as they rounded down upon what felt like the tenth staircase landing, "but Baron certainly will not turn down a free meal." After, of course, he'd found some grass to water.

It took about half the time to make it back down to the festival as it had to make it up to the Queen, though they first took a detour to the royal gardens where Baron could relieve himself and Rune could administer some much-needed painkiller and medication to himself. Despite how much he'd taken this morning, he was never up and about on his feet like this on a normal day and the effort to conceal this hideous discomfort was wearing on him. Mustering the strength to maintain his stoic facade, the pair followed Cressida back out into the throngs of the public to find her some Dragon Fire Noodles.

• Bless
”Very well then,” she ran a finger behind Baron’s ear and rubbed at the section where his ear jutted out from his skull, ”more food for the two of us.”

Once out in the fairgrounds they made their way to the vendor in question. As soon as they got within a few dozen paces the spice began to assault their nostrils. It was an odd mixture that burnt away the mucus lining simply from smelling it but it also possessed a delicious combination of savory and sweet.

”Two bowls.”

Cress held up two fingers, placing one of the bowls upon the ground in case Baron was daring enough to try the dish. Then she grabbed ahold of her chopsticks and began the experience, with tears rushing from her eyes and her nose beginning to leak she simply turned to Errune. ”Are you sure you don’t want some?” Her voice was already hoarse from the meal.