Fable - Ask The Warmth of Dragons

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first
Leovold fought the errant twitch of irritation that came with Melisandre's teasing greeting. What was worse, the infantilizing comment about his relative height? Or the insinuation that he had not absolutely, unarguably trumped his father's demonstration the previous year and this one? He had to remind himself that he was in public, and very much not in a proper position to properly clap back for such comments. Besides, it was clearly meant in jest, even if it was coming from the heiress of a house that was arguably beneath his own. That, and she'd honored him with a title he'd not yet earned, which served to cushion the already tepid blow.

"Quite," Was the short response he had to offer to the initial two thirds of the woman's greeting. He set his jaw as he listened to the final stretch, and heard Vhagor's reply in turn.

Meanwhile, a low, rumbling growl burbled its way forth from Iralux at the apparent ambivalence his arrival had earned from Nyxondra and Eryx. Ira was not nearly so relaxed as the other two in nearly any situation. The growl would break only as the sun dragon let out a loud, nasally huff, a stream of steam spewing into the air as he went down into a 'play-bow,' apparently trying to egg either of the two females into a spot of roughhousing.

"Yes, and those needs are ever increasing, if the rumors among the Scaleguard are to be believed. I've heard tales of 'monsters' on the western fringes." Leo chimed in, planting a hand on his hip and staring down the bridge of his nose at Meli. She might have been older than him, and many of the young noblemen might have shot past Leo in terms of height, but he still towered over the Evreux heiress. The...temperament of her bond-mate was no secret, either. "Perhaps, if you're confident that dragon of yours will be well behaved, we could discuss a reconnaissance flight."

Leo cocked his head towards his old mentor.
"That is, of course, if Master Vhagor approves of such a thing." He flashed a confident smile towards the older rider, nary an apology for interrupting nor injecting himself into the conversation.

The Royal Plaza

Rayvath soared into the air with a single beat of her massive wings. She bound into the sky, seemingly jumping more than flying as she launched herself forward and took her place among the clouds.

The Great Red Dragon was not the fastest in Thanasis, she was not the most agile nor even close to the most gifted flyer, and yet the sight of her within the sky was something to behold. Her wings extended far, her great maw opened with a delighted roar, and those below would feel the chill of shadow upon their backs as she blocked out the sun. A long breath dragged into the Prince’s lungs, his eyes falling shut.

Kaveh smiled, Briseis’ screams barely reaching him within the calm of his flight.

It was here, within the skies, on his bondmates back that Kaveh found peace. Where the rage finally subsided, where the anger flittered away and he felt not like a volcano ready to burst; but human. He reveled in that feeling, letting it wash over and through him. An eternity seemed to pass, clarity and calm. An ocean finally quieted after a great storm.

Then, without a call or command, Rayvath’s great wings curled inward.

For a second the two of them seemed to float within the air, lingering in the sky as though held up by the Red Dragons sheer bulk. Then they began to fall. Together they fell, tumbling through the sky and racing back down towards the city below. The beautiful palaces and rolling mountains drawing closer with every second. It seemed almost as though they would crash into the city itself, and those below peered up as a massive shadow began to cast over the city streets.

Voices called out, fingers pointed to the sky, and panic began to spread in the Royal Plaza.

The crowd parted, desperately rushing to and fro as they sought to avoid the tumbling Dragon. Clearing the center of the great square when finally Rayvath spread her wings once more.

A single beat, a gust wind powerful enough to send a grown man flying to his feet, and the two slowed just enough to stop. The Great Red Dragon crashed into the center of the Royal Plaza, ancient cobbles shattering and cracking in patterns of spiderwebs as Rayvath slammed into the ground. Her head rearing up as she let out a triumphant, heart clenching roar.

For a moment, silence reigned in the Plaza, and then the commons broke out into a cascading cheers. The nobles staring at the debacle as though they had just seen a spider crawl into their bed.

Alright then, this had been a mistake. There was no denying that as soon as Rune not only refused her aid but added that quip about getting him out into the festival.

Cress gave Baron one last smile before straightening her back and coming face-to-face with the now risen Errune. "I'm not proud." Her tone was serious yet not severe. "If anything I'm disappointed that it took you so long."

How many letters had she sent? Most of them kind and understanding. Only after she essentially threatened to force him to come did he actually do so. Perhaps she shouldn't have pushed him, especially when the first step into the plaza had been a tumble, but had she not been so persistent he'd likely be up in that study of his with the curtains drawn.

"You look well too," she added as quickly as she could.

It wasn't a false flattery, it was a simple truth as she saw it. Seeing him in the sun was a refreshing change after the past few years. Before he'd simply been illuminated by candlelight and wavering shadows in most of their meetings. Seeing him in the glory of the sun was like getting a new perspective.

He looked healthier than she had feared. He looked more like the proud warrior she had first met when she'd enlisted.

With a posture that emanated confidence Cressida looked over Errune and Baron once more. "Unless you have an attraction you'd like to see I'd suggest we get both of you some food." There were plenty of stalls in the plaza serving seasonal delicacies today. "If you aren't hungry then I'm sure we can nab something for Baron."

If he'd regretted meeting her gentle threats before, the syllables of the word disappointment hitting her teeth only drove the notion home. There it was - he was a disappointment. Though he'd yet to grow numb to the physical pain that remained from his extensive injuries, the numbness of his psychological pain could not be understated.

Yet there it was, the sting of her words on his brain. Ah yes... that's what it felt like to feel something other than suffocating morose. Perhaps he should thank her. Maybe with a smile?

No, that was too much.

Rune's lips pressed into a thin line as he allowed himself a moment of wandering gaze across the plaza. It was at that point, after she'd suggested food, that his response was broken off by the sudden thunderous arrival of Prince Kaveh and his mighty dragon. The entire area shuddered with the presence of the great beast, causing the not-Noble to grip his cane a bit more tightly and his hound companion to stiffen with alarm.

Baron issued a low, concerned whine and took a step closer to Rune.

The pit of his stomach sinking at the vision of Rayvath swimming through his memories and before his very eyes, Rune released an unsteady breath and refocused his attention on Cressida.

"I've not much appetite," he admitted, having felt whatever desire for food evaporate from his gut immediately following Rayvath's landing, "but I am here at your whim, Cressida. We do as you please."

His gaze briefly dropped to Baron, who was also looking at her at the mention of his name.

"I cannot imagine Baron will turn down your doting."

Last edited:
Rai winced as she snapped at him, pulling his hand back as she went off on him about his own lack of intelligence and reliability in response to what the thought was a kind gesture. He wanted to argue with her, but he bit down on his lower lip, holding it in. Rune already treated him like an afterthought, and it seemed the longer time went on, the more Ryla resented him too. Damn it, he only wanted the best for both of them! Why did they both have to be so stubborn about letting themselves live a little bit? It was always about responsibility, what was expected of them, what duties they carry, and all that wash. It didn't make any sense at all to him.

If Ryla wanted to be short with him over nothing, fine. They wondered why he spent so much time up in the air when none of his family made being down on the ground worth his time. Brushing the hand he'd dusted her off with on his jacket, Raimond just shrugged. "You know what? Never mind. I'll just let you do your thing." Ha'Than let out a grumble, having seen this between them far too often lately. Still, he tilted his head for Raimond as he climbed up and onto the white dragon's neck and began fastening him up for flight.

"For the record..." Rai spoke down to his older sister as Ha'Than stretched his wings in preparation to fly. "Melisandre isn't my sister, and she hardly knows who I am. Maybe I'm just sick of worrying about you ending up a miserable sack like our brother." Somehow she'd taken what he said as an insult when it had been meant as nothing of the sort.

Rai bit the inside of his cheek, then sighed.

"I've already lost Errune. Who he used to be anyways. I love you, Ryla, I do. I just don't want to lose you too." A slightly less forced smile came to him now. "If being a soldier and finding a man is what you really want to do, I can't and won't try to stop you. Just don't drown yourself like he did. I dunno what I'd do."

Last edited:
Merchant's Corner

A tick of her jaw at a familiar voice. A slight wince along her scarred skin. Virdan would suddenly appear next to Vhagor as if the very shadows of the nearby apple cart spit her out. Immediate whisperings and murmurs came from the merchants nearby and other commonfolk. Arms crossed stiffly as she managed to look down her nose at both Leovold and Melisandre, though one was certainly taller than the instructor.

A delicate, arched brow lifted as she stared Leovold down.

Virdan was a woman of few words. But it was clear how she felt about this proposal of a reconnaissance flight by two young and brash pups. But perhaps, just perhaps, this would be an opportunity for something else.

For a second she simply took the pair of them in. Her gaze briefly fluttering over towards the great dragon Rayvath and the path it had cleared in the plaza. The distraction was short lived though and she re-focused her attention back towards her old friend and his hound.

"We do as I please?" Part of her wanted to scream. This was meant to be his day back and he didn't have a single thing he wished to see or partake in?

Very well, she'd continue to prod. "Well then, it's settled, I'll be dotting on Baron for the rest of the day."

She found it unlikely that Rune would manage to resist every morsel of food they'd come upon.

Not far from the palace steps actually sat one of her favorite vendors in all of Thanasis. Though the short trek was prolonged by Errune's pace she didn't much mind. The sights and sounds of the day were still joyous even after they'd become somewhat routine for her.

"There," she called with a slight nod towards the stall she'd chosen. "It's the best in the city." The vendor sold hawawshi, a pita filled with meat and an array of spices. It was heated in a little stone oven that contained dragon coals to keep the fire going for the entirety of the festival.

Cressida paid a few coins and got three of the hawawshi, tossing one to Baron before offering another over towards Errune.

The Royal Plaza

The stylish tumble back toward the ground was a white knuckled shit-show, and Briseis fought hard to keep the contents of her stomach down rather than adding some vomit-spraying mayhem to the performance. There were twists and turns and sudden lifts and dives so fast she near blacked out.

Her screams and pleas had fallen on selectively deaf dragon ears, but at least, she knew, if she wasn't in control then it wasn't likely that he would crash them into the ground below. No, he'd alight elegantly beside Rayvath after his dramatics in the skies, and it would take Briseis almost a full minute to breathe calmly and stop shaking enough to appear somewhat composed.

The truth was, when she finally managed to dismount onto the cracked tiles of the plaza and the surrounding crowds stared at her, she'd have gladly climbed back onto Ciraxis' back and gone for another spin. So they did recognise her. If anything, that she now looked and dressed like a high-born woman made them appear to loathe her all the more.

She kept a hand to the white scales as she walked around to join Kaveh, as though to reiterate to those sending wishes of death by their stares that she was protected by him and the crown, and the dragons that accompanied them.

'The Dragon thief.' - An accusation that'd dripped venomously from so many tongues since the day she'd been thrown into the street and dragged into a cell. Her chin rose against it and she said nothing, but she couldn't ignore the growing murmur. Ciraxis thrashed his tail, as though he could sense her discomfort.

"I thought they hanged her.."

"She can ride my dragon any time.. haw haw haw..."

"I still say she's a witch."

"This wasn't a good idea." she muttered to Kaveh. "You'll have me responsible for descending a day of celebration into riot."

All eyes on Baron suited him just fine. His siblings often bemoaned the hound's lack of outdoor adventures despite Errune reminding them that Baron had served as a battle hound for the majority of his life. His retirement was well-earned, but that didn't mean he couldn't get a treat from time to time.

There was no better time for treats than now, as the hound made an absolute mess of food when he ate. Baron sat, patient and eager, as Cressida ordered the first of what no doubt would be a day of spoiling. The nub of his tail feverishly wagged at his rear as he stretched his snout to sniff and then enthusiastically chomped the morsel from her hand.

This devolved into further champing, bits and crumbs and pieces dropping to the ground to intermingle with a small puddle of drool already there.

Yes indeed, Cressida was Baron's new favorite person for the day.

Rune politely declined the food, his attention somewhat absent as he looked to the young woman dropping into the plaza on a dragon he recognized as Ciraxis. The chaos of her arrival could not have been overlooked and it was clear to him, a once seasoned and experienced rider, that the girl had no handle or tiny modicum of control over her steed.

If he remembered correctly there was quite a bit of scandal surrounding her and how their bond came to be, but wasn't that just how things were when they didn't go according to the plans of nobles?

"What do you know of that rider?" he asked Cressida, lifting his cane hand to gesture her way, "Have you flown with her?"

Last edited:
Eyrx growled in return to the sun dragon, looking back to Nyxondra. The long tail of the Earendel dragon sinuously moved along the ground, picking up a bit of dust and moving rocks and some debris all around. She turned her head to Iralux, once again careful of it’s large gold horn, and then with a snort, stood up on it’s back legs, spreading it’s wings wide and giving a playful flap.

The dragon’s jaws parted, and that strong sulfur scent reached around. It was hardly a aggressive gesture, but one that did beckon Iralux to try his might. One could say that Eyrx was exactly like her rider.

Melisandre looked at Vhagor gratefully, her dark eyes lighting up and sparkling like stars in a cloudless night sky. Of course, the look soon dissipated as Leovold mentioned the word ‘behaved.’ She slowly turned her head towards the man, a saccharine smile plastered over his face. Her fox-like eyes crinkled up ever so slightly, giving her a face a bit of a dangerous look.

Don’t you worry your pretty little head, Leo,” Melisandre said, resting a hand at her hip. “Eyrx knows plenty well that when it comes to fury, mine is far more terrifying and—“ Melisandre paused, hearing a faint scream echo about. She looked up, seeing the two shapes of dragons flying holding in the bright blue sky, recognizing Rayvath immediately, the giant of giants. When she looked back down, ready to tell Leovold some more about how he was wrong, a new face appeared out of the blue.

Or rather, out of the shadows was a better description, Melisandre supposed, what with all the dreary black she wore. Really, not enough people cared how they looked anymore.

Well, hello.” Melisandre said raising a brow at the woman who said nothing, before then looked back to Vhagor. “After the festivities, I will be taking you up on your offer. And if there are monsters,” a sly glance to Leovold, “well, wouldn’t you want someone with a bit of ferocity to cover your exposed back, Leovold?” The sickly sweet smile was back, and then Melisandre shrugged. “Maybe that’s just me.

Vhagor Leovold Virdan

Kaari watched Raimond as he got all huffy and readied Ha'Than to take off. The iridescent dragon wanted to fly off with her friend but if the twins were fighting then she wouldn't be able to do that. Kaari used her big head to nudge Ryla toward Rai and Ha'Than. It was clear (at least to her) that she wanted her twin to apologize to Ha'Than's twin.

Ryla understood exactly what Kaari was trying to say because this was not the first time that the dragon had used her strength to force Ryla to apologize.

"I am not going to end up like Rune, Rai," she said as she stepped closer to Ha'Than and started to run her hand along his scales. "I know you want what is best for me but you tend to be overbearing and I actually tried to look nice today," she said, a little self-conscious now.

"I am sorry, Rai...I love you...let's go so I can watch your show," there was an apologetic smile on her face. She hoped, like usual, that would be the end of this most recent fight.

Raimond Thesius

• Wonder
Reactions: Polina
The Royal Plaza

Po couldn't help the open-mouthed stare as the prince and his dragon landed, no, plowed, onto the square with a thunderous BOOM that reverberated in her very being. Followed by someone very dear to her: Briseis. She'd been able to meet up with the one she saw as an older sister once or twice since she was plucked from the Outer City shortly following Bri's own footsteps.

But she'd lost track of her through the trials.

Through the chaos.

She'd heard the rumors about Bri no longer being in jail. The prince coming to her rescue. But hadn't had a chance to see it with her own eyes.

Bri, Bri, Bri
...Po's heart swelled even as she stumbled forward, the tray full of refreshments in her hand as a glare and sharp order from Madame Sinclaire urged her forward.

"Go on child, do your duty."

Po found her throat suddenly quite dry as she realized who she had to approach. The prince with his frigid blue gaze. Sure, she'd been working for the royals for over five years now but she'd always been behind the scenes. Washing dishes in the kitchen. Cleaning and tending to the palace.

Never stewarding.

I can do this. Oh GREAT DRAGON OF THE WESTERN SUNS HELP ME TO DO THIS. It'll be fine. JUST fine. Come on, Po, move yourself forward. One step, then another.

Holy crud, look at these dragons?! They're so much bigger this close. Is it going to eat me? Why is the tail twitching? Look at the ground, PO. LOOK AT THE GROUND. CON.CEN.TRATE.

Having on the uniform of a servant of the palace, she slowly approached Kaveh and Briseis and their dragons. Eyes firmly cast downward. Tray offered up when there was a sudden shove at her back from a group of running kids. Perhaps the same pack from earlier who had knocked down poor Errune Thesius in Cressida's presence.

A slight gasp as she was jerked forward, the tray tipping and wobbling sending two iced-chocolate entremets flying through the air toward the prince and Briseis.

Five words echoed through Po's mind as she watched in horror as the cakes flew: I am going to die.

Cressida arched an eyebrow as she chewed on a mouthful of the hawawshi. Her gaze slowly drifted towards the spectacle at the center of the plaza. The mighty dragons Rayvath and Ciraxis with the thirdborn prince and a woman Cress had never seen before in her life.

Sure, she'd heard the stories and even now she could hear the rumors flying through the plaza.

A so-called dragon thief that the hot-headed prince had taken as his latest concubine. Poor girl, the prince had likely been her only salvation from House Sahar. While House Murizi had been stalwart allies of the royal family for its existence Cressida wasn't particularly close to Kaveh. What little she'd seen of him hadn't impressed her, he was filled with rage and his temper reminded her of the tantrums children threw back in her youth.

Once she finished chewing she finally spoke. "I presume it's the third-in-line's latest wife." She gave Baron rub behind his ear as he finished the first sandwich and she passed the dog the serving that Rune had given up. "Never met her before, just heard the same rumors that every commoner is whispering right now."

"She used her bewitching prowess to steal the dragon and ensnare the prince."

One voice called followed by another.

"The prince can do so much better than a dragon thief."

If nothing else all of the gossip was proving that House Sahar was quite good at convincing the masses when they felt slighted. And while Cressida didn't particularly like the wrathful third child of the king she disliked slander against the royal family far more. "I'm sure the truth of it is a lot more nuanced than... whatever these people think."

The Royal Plaza

Rumors spread. Whispers rolled over the crowd. A thousand stories were sown.

Kaveh could hear the echoes of judgment. The lies spreading and the details flowing through the streets. Soon word of their arrival roiled through the distant crowds of Thanasis, and before long The Prince knew that his father would hear of what he had done. Good.

He thought in quiet answer to Briseis' words.

"Then let them riot, Bri." Kaveh said softly. Slowly turning away from the roiling crowd of commoners and nobles. Some still cheering, watching in awe, while others spoke vile misstruths. The Prince paid them no mind, smiling at his companion. "This is not a day for us..."

As he spoke, Kaveh didn't notice the servant girl approach. Didn't notice her trip and fall, but Rayvath did.

The Great Dragon's tail flicked, faster than any whip, dashing the tray of drinks and their contents to the ground with a sudden thud that was enough to shake the earth. Her form half curling around the two riders. A single massive eye staring at Polina as though she might make the next meal. "..But for them".

Kaveh said, reaching up and patting one of Rayvath's scales. "Whatever they say, whatever truth they think they speak. Ciraxis chose you."

He reminded her.

"He chose you above any of them." A small simmer of anger touched his voice. "Don't cower. Don't hide. Embrace it. Embrace his choice."

Kaveh demanded of her as some of the other commoners began to move forward into the Plaza. Their fear slowly swept away in the rush of seeing one of their own among those highest.

From above, the city glittered upon the scales of a hundred hundred dragons. It would continue to do so for some time, well into the golden dusk and far into the flame-lit night. The opening demonstrations were just the start. After all, the main event had chosen to be fashionably late.

A black blur ripped towards the rooftops. One of the many telescopes atop the city's outermost wall caught a pinprick in the sky beyond. The lookout had perhaps a second to figure out what they saw before it swept overhead and set the bronze spyglass spinning.

The city flowed beneath Bani like a river. Outer district, merchant quarters, artisan shops, noble residences, circle around to the great library (buzz the tower for good measure) and slingshot back to the main procession.

She was announced more by the rush of wind in her wake than the quiet, soft wings of her mount and companion, and when she dipped low to swoop along the route where Cressida and the dragons of House Murizi had opened the day's events, the lingering populace were left only with popping ears and a scant dusting of inky black feathers. It was dangerous to fly so fast and low on the quietest of days, but now the city was littered with stalls and the sky was filled with wings. A mad grin and a glint off thick lenses told the world that Bani was not deterred. She wove through the throngs of low-flying beasts, triggering more than a few exasperated roars as their airspace was invaded and, just as quickly, evacuated.

Her attention was pulled to the side, a shift in the air pressure caught by Vexillion's sensitive feathers. Only one being moved the skies so easily, and Rayvath's head was easily visible from on-high. The mad prince out on the town, but who was this with him? Bani circled the plaza once, twice, three times, staring unabashedly at Briseis and her white mount.

Bored now. Vex drew her attention forwards. He had seen blue scales and gray hair. He smelled sulfer and felt gold-glinting heat. Bani egged him on and the pair dove towards Leovold, Vhagor, and Melisandre. Let's say hello.

She rose from her crouched seat and let the air hit her square in the chest, toppling her over backwards in a breakneck flip and skidding to stop on tiny light feet. While Vexillion looped in a wide overhead to come land beside her, Bani spread her arms to shout in a shrill, cackling voice: "Ladies and gentleman, your champion is here!" Applause came from onlookers while she shoved her goggles to the top of her head, their outlined marking the only patch of her face not covered with dust. She had made sure to pin on each of her various racing medals this morning, jumbled and hastily arranged as they were.

"Solherre's show was ok this year," the diminutive girl addressed Leovold while unbuttoning the top of her riding jacket. "Rolls could have been a bit tighter." She kept an obnoxious grin on her face. There was a splattered bug in her teeth. She figured a shared love of risky flying and her second-tier ties to a noble house were probably reasons two and three for why Leovold and Iralux had not incinerated her yet. Reason one, she insisted, was because they couldn't catch her.

She looked at Melisandre, glanced up and down at... that... passed over the silent Virdan and then met eyes with Vhagor. She'd been sent to him very young, and had learned quickly to never ever stand too close to Nyxondra. Vex's raven-black feathers stayed raised in her presence. Bani had not been an easy student, but even now she hoped for some words of approval... while expecting a much sterner reality.

Last edited:
The Royal Plaza

As though her nerves weren't shattered enough, she caught the briefest glimpse of someone approaching in her peripheral before Rayvath's tail crashed down between them, shattering a few more tiles. Her hand settled over her chest, as though it might draw the staccato beat to something a little more steady.

"He did.." she answered Kaveh with the only truth that she truly knew. She'd tried to make them listen, but she'd quickly learned that people would believe what they wanted to since there was no way of providing proof. Briseis drew in a breath and lifted her chin once more, more than a little bolstered by the display of protection that the two dragons encircled them with.

"I hope to one day learn to ignore the gossip and rumours as you do.." she sighed quietly. Kaveh had always risen above it. He was, above it. Briseis had never been subject to scandal or, well, much conversation at all in her life. She had never been important enough. A ghost who wandered the Sahar estate carrying out her duties. They hadn't even bothered to learn her name before their dragon chose her. Now she was sick of the sound of it.

"She may have.. squished, someone.." Bri cleared her throat as she leaned under Rayvath's neck and noticed the silver tray and.. were those cakes? She had assumed it someone approaching to make some foolish attempt at touching one of the dragons, or throwing tar or some such at her, but she winced as she realised that it'd likely been a servant.

Bri slipped around Kaveh, sticking close to the red dragon whilst the white flanked her, his tail still thrashing. Following Rayvath's attention to the plaza floor, her brows rose at the sight of the cowering girl who was the unfortunate subject of the great dragon's warning.

"Po?" she asked, and glanced up at Rayvath.. "It's alright. She's a friend.." she said quickly and strode over to her, a hand offered.

"Have you lost your mind?"

Kaveh Polina

"You do look nice, Ryla. You do, but..." Raimond hadn't meant to belittle his Sister's attempts to dress well today, and he did offer a small grin as he watched Ryla stroke Ha'Than. She was probably one of the only people besides Rai who could get away with it without any backlash from the sassy white dragon. "I'm your brother. I don't look at you that way, that's all. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings, really."

Errune's descent had affected Raimond, badly. Who had once been a hero and a role model to the young Thesius had become a shell of his former self. One whom his younger brother barely recognized. "I trust you. I'm sorry, I just... I can't do that again."

A sharp zip of motion high above his head and the whirring blur of a black dragon brought Raimond's attention to the sky, and a swear left his lips. Rai had been the most brazen, daring, and foolhardy flyer in the city for years. That reputation was the only recognition the young man had for quite some time. At least, until that little brat had started flying. Now she liked to show him up whenever she had a chance. She was good too, Raimond couldn't deny it.

"Damn it. Bani's already started. Does that girl ever sleep?" Raimond would probably have beaten her to the punch if it hadn't been for Ryla's interruption, but that wasn't a truth he was about to say aloud, especially when he so often complained about not getting to see his siblings as often as he liked. Looking back down to Ryla, a little idea formed in his head, and he smiled before extending his hand. "Want a ride down to the festival?"

Normally Ryla wouldn't be caught dead flying with Raimond, given his reputation for high-risk maneuvers and dangerous tricks. There was a little catch, though. "You'll get a lot of eyes on you if you arrive after some slick flying by Ha'than, you know..."

Ryla Thesius Bani

• Yay
  • Devil
Reactions: Melisandre and Bani
The Royal Plaza

Fear turned her legs liquid as she promptly fell on her rear, which probably saved her from being squashed by Rayvath's wicked tail. Pebbles and shards from the tray flew up, nicking and slicing into her skin creating small crimson spots beneath her chin and neck.

Breath stalled in her chest, mouth parted and her eyes rooted to the massive one of the Prince's bonded. To Polina's credit, if she was going to be swallowed whole, she was going to have her eyes open until the end. Even if everyone one of her limbs was shaking like the second royal's favorite lime gelatin.

It took Po a good long minute to connect the hand being offered with the voice. To slowly let her gaze slide away from the massive dragon and to a familiar face. "Bri?" She squeaked.

Remember to breath.

For a moment, she forgot protocol. Forgot all the eyes on them. Forgot the cruel prince right there. She took the offerent hand and immediately hugged her friend. "Are you okay?" She whispered against the one like a sister to her.

And as quickly as she whispered the question she remembered the one she was asked. Eyes widened and like a trembling leaf, she tried to extract herself as quickly to drop back to her knees. A servant did not hug dragon riders. Even if that person was like a sister. And everyone was watching.

"Please forgive me. I was to bring you both refreshments. I...please don't let them eat me," she whispered. Not above begging in this moment.

Still, being eaten was probably better than made to join the harem.

Briseis Kaveh

The Royal Plaza

"A thousand voices are easy to ignore." It was usually only one, that was not.

Kaveh had spent his entire life toiling away under rumors sown by those around him. Some with reason of course, the Prince could never pretend that he was some innocent fawn, but others sought to hasten his demise and reputation simply out of sheer spite.

His brothers among them.

He was about to say something else, when Briseis spoke of Rayvath having crushed someone. He raised an eyebrow, and glancing at the great Dragon. "No, she would ha-"

Before he could finish the other rider quickly absconded, slipping beneath his dragons form and speaking with someone standing just beyond Ravyath's bulk. The two embraced, which raised more than a few eyebrows, but Kaveh simply turned away.

Briseis' was neither his to control, nor command.

His head turned and he scanned the crowd. Behind him he heard a low growl running through Rayvath's throat as Polina pleaded with her, the Prince still utterly unaware the servant still existed. Absently he patted his bondmate on her neck, then slowly set off into the crowd.

Rayvath lingered, staying by Briseis and her dragon as she watched Polina with the careful eye of a Guard watching it's charge.

As he moved the crowd parted before Kaveh, either out of respect or simple fear that he might lash out at them. The commoners bowed in respect, while the nobles barely tipped their head. The distaste from doing even that clear upon their features.

Slowly he made his way towards the Plaza steps, heading directly towards Cressida and Errune Thesius.

Briseis smiled warmly and let out a quiet chuckle as the younger woman embraced her and she'd returned the hug without hesitation and a quiet assurance that she was alright.. The smile however was quick to falter as she felt Polina pull away and lower herself back to the ground.

"Oh don't you dare." she protested with a shake of her head as she reached down to grip her by the shoulders and ensure her knees didn't touch the ground for long if at all. "It's me.. I did not suddenly become the Queen now, did I?" she asked and caught a tether of the girl's soft waves betwixt her thumb and forefinger as she gazed over her face.

Bri's head shook in response to the apology, but at Polina's plea she couldn't help but laugh.. "Don't be ridiculous!" she looked up at the dragons who watched them both, and then realised that Kaveh was making his way into the crowds and her smile withered along with

"I.. have to go." she turned back to her, pressing a quick kiss to her cheek before walking backwards.. "I'm sorry. You can come with us, if you like. Otherwise, I... think I heard the Prince say that you are free to join the festivities.." her lips curled and she turned to rush off after Kaveh before the path that had been cut through the crowd could close on her..

"Ciraxis.." she ushered, ensuring that the white dragon stayed close to her, more anxious of his capture than her safety. She could hear him huff as he followed proudly behind her, flourishing his wings in an elegant stretch, his white scales glittering in the sunlight as he stalked after his bonded rider. A few men and women had wandered back into her path by the time she had reached the steps, and Briseis paused to look at them.

It was a difficult thing to look people in the eye when she'd spent her life avoiding such things. A difficult thing to keep her chin up and stare back with conviction. There were more than a few familiar looks of disdain, but as Ciraxis let out a low guttural sound, those were the first to melt back into the masses. She was surprised to see however that a dozen or so of the lower classes remained, and their expressions were something akin to fascination or intrigue as they looked between Bri and the white dragon at her back. More surprising still, was when one dipped her chin as a mark of respect, which prompted another, and another..

"Yàn ōkan." they whispered as they too cleared her path. Chosen. As though now that they were up close enough they could see that she had thrown no leash around the beast, and that she didn't in fact look like a witch, whatever those looked like. They believed her, however small a number they were. It made the scowls a little easier to ignore, and she took the opportunity to offer a small smile in return to those who smiled back at her as she and Ciraxis ascended the steps behind Kaveh.

The Royal Plaza

Mmmmmm, Po forget how well Bri hugged. Only one other person hugged her like that and he was family by blood. As Po was quickly brought back to her feet, she took a moment to look at Bri closer. Truly searching to see if she was okay.

She seemed to be...head tilted to take in her friend's dragon.

And the third royal's who was still eyeing her like she was next on the menu or to be squashed by that tail.

"Don't be ridiculous!"

"I don't think it's being that ridiculous," a quick whisper. Po usually saw these dragons from afar. High in the sky or after they'd already left the Inner City's rooftops. Occasionally, she'd have to scurry out of the way of one trotting in the streets with its rider not far behind. But not like...this.

And by the moons, if only she could have Briseis' confidence.

"Find me later...if you can?" A timid hand waved after the retreating back of her friend as her shoulders curled inward. She knew Bri meant well but Madam Sinclair had not given her the day off. Some had to work to make sure others could enjoy the festivities. And unfortunately, Polina was one of them. It wasn't like the nobles were going to roll up their sleeves and work today so folk like her could laze about.

"Should I feel honored that you think I might be a threat?" A question poised to Kaveh's Rayvath and that giant eye that still watched her. "I will bring you an extra plump chicken for not eating me, though!"

As the dragon's tail moved, Po would crouch and begin picking up the shattered pieces of the tray.

"Want a ride down to the festival? You'll get a lot of eyes on you if you arrive after some slick flying by Ha'than, you know..."

Ryla looked at his extended and shook her head.

"Listen, I love you, but it is never going to happen. I will watch your show then come meet you," she stepped back from her twin and continued to shake her head at his preposterous offer.

Ryla liked Bani and she liked that the girl was in competition with Rai (whether she knew it or not). It kept him from getting too crazy.

Raimond Thesius

"I presume it's the third-in-line's latest wife." She gave Baron rub behind his ear as he finished the first sandwich and she passed the dog the serving that Rune had given up. "Never met her before, just heard the same rumors that every commoner is whispering right now."

"She used her bewitching prowess to steal the dragon and ensnare the prince."

One voice called followed by another.

"The prince can do so much better than a dragon thief."

If nothing else all of the gossip was proving that House Sahar was quite good at convincing the masses when they felt slighted. And while Cressida didn't particularly like the wrathful third child of the king she disliked slander against the royal family far more. "I'm sure the truth of it is a lot more nuanced than... whatever these people think."

Errune's brow furrowed as a ponderous hmm sounded within his chest. He was not one to be embroiled in gossip, especially not by the lower castes. Their ideas were based on ignorance and Rune prided himself on knowing more than most but not as much as some. His current role and title as Head Archivist of the Royal Archives granted him access to a wealth of information, far more than the majority of these whisperers and gossipers could ever hope to know or see, but he'd only been in the position for a few years.

Certainly not long enough to know everything, or even half of that afforded him to know, but he was well aware of the notion that dragons had exercised their will of choice and self-governance before.

"It's not as if the circumstance is completely unfounded..." he remarked quietly to Cressida, though not in a conspiratorial manner, "...in your case, the precedent for a dragon's choice has been set before when a hatchling chose someone other than its intended." Rune looked aside at her pointedly, "Hardly a reason for candid superstitions..." he snorted at how quickly people were willing to devolve to things that he'd thought had been left in the past. Had they not evolved to a more enlightened people?

The scandal hadn't escaped him. Living within the Palace as he did, he could hardly hope to extricate himself from such relevant and bold news to his work, especially where a bonded dragon or Royalty was involved. And speaking of Royalty... the Prince Kaveh had chosen to stalk this way with the new dragon rider now in tow. Errune took a deep breath and slowly loosed it through his nose as he glanced down at Baron. The dog had just finished gulping down the second sandwich and busied itself lopping up the remnants from the ground.

"Hash-ta," Rune lightly tugged at his leash with the command to leave it, "suut," and to sit. The hound grumbled in protest but did as told, licking the crumbs from its maw.

"Prince Kaveh," Rune dipped his head in respect to the younger man as he approached, fully expecting Kaveh to march on by, en route to something or someone else. Green eyes briefly flickered to Briseis and he nodded respectfully to her as well, "Lady."

Regardless of Briseis' previous life or role, she'd become a Chosen and that commanded respect from him as a former rider and warrior of Thanasis.

Cressida Kaveh Briseis

Last edited:
Vhagor could feel his dragons rising agitation. The large blue dragon was approaching 50 years old and was almost double the size of the young pups present due to the fact. As such there were limited places within the ruin she could stand without toppling the Merchants Corner in its entirety. For the most part she tended to take care not to destroy things Vhagor impressed upon her as important but with the rising amount of people and dragons that small courtesy she paid him was drawing thin.

The scales on the underside of her throat began to shimmer with an internal green eerie glow.

Vhagor rubbed the side of his temple where the headache was the worst.

"Virdan, I did not know you had returned," he inclined his head politely to his fellow rider. At least she didn't talk even if she was the one of his peers that made Nyx snarl the worst. Her way of appearing and disappearing still caused him unease but Nyx? For Nyx is drove her close to the insanity of the red dragons.

"Perhaps you would be better placed to... discuss such a mission as Master Leo here proposes, it sounds very similar to the work you have been-"

His words went no further as the feathered dragon plummeted into their midst in a dramatic show.

Nyx's snarled shook the very earth beneath their feet and she was not the only one Vhagor could see grow in aggitation.

"I have not found myself so popular in months," he said in dry humour. "Perhaps we best move these discussions to the Plaza before Nyxondra rids us of a historical marvel."

Leovold stifled a laugh that lay somewhere between irritated and genuinely amused as Melisandre taunted him. He was far less prone to playfulness than either her or any of their dragons, as Iralux evidenced by lighting the crest on his head and firmly smooshing it into Eryx's torso. Like pups, they were, though far more prone to devastating a city block with their rollicking.

The lord-apparent's gaze followed Meli's as Kaveh and his charge descended upon the city. That behemoth of a dragon of his was far more suited to lounging around the palace or being fed cattle than it was performing aerial maneuvers, but the duo managed to make it work somehow. The presence of that great, red beast was a constant reminder of what the sun dragons would one day be restored to under Leovold's direction.

"As long as your dragon's fangs don't follow that cover, Melisandre, otherwise I think I'd be more comfortable taking my chances with the monsters." He finally replied, staring down the bridge of his nose at the woman with a smile that threatened to twist into a snarl at a moment's notice.

Leo briefly felt the presence of eyes upon him of an intensity greater than the general plebeian crowd that had gathered to gawk at the ever increasing number of dragons flocking to the market. His eyes met Virdan's for but a moment and his smile faded. He met the odd woman's confident gaze with a burning glare. She bore the attire of an ascended, yet she dared to look at nobles with any hint of superiority. Leo's softly glowing irises began to smolder with annoyance.

That was, at least, before a familiar, plucky, and diminutive duo unceremoniously dove and landed in an acrobatic fashion in the midst of the merchant quarter. Leovold breathed a bewildered, but admittedly amused chuckle as Bani and Vexillion joined the fray.
"Yes, well, we can't all be blessed with the gifts the feathered brood bear, nor the time you have to practice maneuvers, Bani." He retorted without skipping a beat, arms never leaving their folded position across the noble's armored chest. The Nhalaryn girl was all spunk and no discipline, but she'd managed to break every flight record in Thanasis at an age that could only be described as 'prodigious.' That was enough to earn her a degree of begrudging respect from Leo, despite her antics.
"Glad you could join us, o Chaser of Sun."

Virdan, I did not know you had returned,"

So that was the name of that strange ascended. Leo wasn't familiar with the moniker, but he imagined he soon would be. Regardless, Vhagor had a point. Things were rapidly becoming far too cramped.
"We've practically our own little Murizi procession by now. I think a march to the plaza might be prudent. Shall we?" Leo prompted the others, tugging on Iralux's reins. The sun dragon, for his part, was happily gnawing on one of Eryx's limbs by now, seemingly unbothered by Bani's sudden intrusion.