Fable - Ask The Warmth of Dragons

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first

Kaveh

A Dragon's Rage
Character Biography
Link
proxy.php
Malakath - Thanasis

It is said that men build cities, dwarves build monuments, and elves build only what they need.

Dragons though, Dragons do not build.

It was said the city of Thanasis was founded when the Great Dragon Gods looked down upon the mortals of Malakath and took pity upon their plight. Seeing the fragility of mortals and their struggle for survival the Mother of Dragons sent her children to tend to the weak. This is how Thanasis was founded. When the Dragons soared from their mountains and took to the plains. When the first of the bonded came to be, and the brittle will of man was made strong by Dragon Fire.

This truth, long held within the hearts of both man and Dragon, has been celebrated in Thanasis as long as anyone can remember.

A Festival that sprawls through the whole of the city and paid for generously and willingly by the nobility. Every year the streets are filled with great feasts, musicians, merchants, and everything else that one can dream of. A tournament is hosted by the Royal family, open to all those who might try themselves against the blades of their betters. Games of all sorts are presented, challenges that even the greatest often fail to overcome. It is a celebration that marks Thanasis itself.

It is a rite that does not celebrate the nobility, does not cheer the King and Queen, but only that which makes the whole of Thanasis great; Dragons. It is during this day that the great beasts descend from their roosts en masse. That they grace not just their bond mates and those of status with their presence, but the whole of Thanasis itself. During this celebration the Dragon's walk the streets, blessing commoners and nobles alike and receiving their favor in return.

To many it is a sight to behold, a ritual that in the west would be both nightmare and dream.
proxy.php
The Palace

Kaveh stood high up on his balcony, face impassive as he stared down at the city far down below.

Even from here he could see the festivities carry on. Music calling out into the air, people moving in great streams, Dragons crawling through streets that were so rarely touched by their presence. It happened every year, and yet every year it seemed as though it were some small miracle to the men and women of Thanasis.

"Fools." He remarked quietly to himself, bitterly wringing his fingers against the balcony.

He knew the importance of this festival, knew the tradition which had started it. There was no denying it's importance, the grandeur of it all. Even he would not have denounced the celebration. Yet he could not keep the bitterness from his heart. The knowledge that his father, his mother, even his brothers all milled down within those crowds. All of them given a role in the celebrations, all of them allowed to walk with the people and host their games or tournaments.

It was another slight. Another cut, and this one felt deeper than most. His fingers tightened even more on the golden rail, enough so that a slight groan rang out as the metal began to warp.

Then suddenly he felt a press against his back.

The jolt of surprise launched up his spine, but the weight of what pushed against him kept Kaveh from whirling around. "I know!"

He barked out loud as Rayvath pressed her great snout against him. The massive Dragon looming behind the Third Prince of Thanasis like a cat watching it's owner. She laid upon the expanse of the balcony, her roost, and stared down at Kaveh. Her expression was one unmistakable only as disapproval, bright yellow eyes peering at the young Prince with expectation

Slowly Kaveh turned towards the Great Dragon.

Even laying down Rayvath was massive, one of the largest, if not the largest Dragon in all of Thanasis. Her bright red scales shone within the light of the sun, her wings curled tight against her body as she continued to peer down at Kaveh.

"I am not going down there." The Prince said firmly. "They have Mother, Father, My Br-"

Before he could finish his sentence the Dragon offered another jab of her great snout, this time pressing firmly into his chest and causing him to half stumble backwards. "I will no-"

Another jab, this time nearly sending him sprawling back over the railing. "STOP IT!"

Kaveh shouted at the Dragon like an insolent child, a command which was only answered by another long and silent stare. His teeth clicked together as he snapped his jaw shut, fingers tightening at his side as he stared up at the massive Dragon. "FINE!"

He bellowed, turning on his heel and stalking off towards his chambers. Rayvath watching as he stormed away.

Don't...
The word itself was not spoken, but a series of images and emotions that conveyed the meaning of the word sent down the weathered bond from rider to dragon. Nyxondra shut her maw with an audible snap and craned her long scaly neck back towards her rider who stood on a wall that came level with her shoulder. The comely woman whose smile had been a touch too warm in Vhagor's direction continued on into the crowd without the knowledge she had nearly become a midday meal for one of the great beasts she proclaimed to love so much. She curled her lips back from her razor sharp teeth in a bared smile Vhagor chose to ignore.

"You're in a bad mood today," he commented, this time aloud and the dragon snorted. A plume of smoke curled from her nostrils and floated across the crowd who gawped and gasped. It was almost as if they did not see the giant beasts every day, though he supposed it was somewhat different seeing them soar overhead to walking amongst them. "Do I need to fetch a muzzle?"

The signature swirl of thoughts Vhagor had come to recognise as laughter caressed his mind.

Feeling her settle once more onto the steps pertaining to the old temple steps, Vhagor returned his attention to keeping an eye on the other Ascended who wandered with their dragons. Some were still babes and perched upon shoulders, others the size of dogs trotted at their heels, and some had got to the size where they did not quite yet understand how big they were. This young they were more vulnerable and he had no intentions of losing a dragon to a concealed blade. Settling his arms across his chest, he watched.

Briseis had loved the festivals for as long as she could recall. They had always meant a day off to roam the city as she pleased and to see the great dragons up close, to listen to music and watch tournaments. Today however she sat within Kaveh's private courtyard, reclined against Ciraxis' wing as the pair listened to the celebrations below. The great white dragon should have been there, proudly gleaming in the sunlight. His dazzling scales had always drawn much attention and he adored the praise, but Briseis couldn't risk showing her face and she worried every day that Mikel Sahar would seek to take Ciraxis back.

The shift hadn't been her choice. She had worked for the Sahar family for fourteen years and spent what little free time she had within their employ, doing exactly as she was now. She wasn't permitted to have friends, and so she talked to Ciraxis, and he seemed to listen. When she brushed his scales, he purred and when she brought him gifts, she could swear he smiled. Briseis had never loved anyone, or anything. She had no family and owned nothing. But she loved him.

Several months had passed since she felt the bond click into place. It'd been as though her very soul had split wide open, and a new stream of conscious emotion had taken up residence in her mind. He didn't speak to her, but she felt what he felt and she could understand him, and that he had chosen her who loved him above he who owned him for his own pride and status. None had any idea that it'd been possible. They accused her of bewitching the dragon, of stealing from one of the greatest houses in Thanasis, and they wanted their justice.

Kaveh had robbed them of that. The youngest prince of Thanasis had stood in her corner, and here she had hidden herself away from the city ever since. She had been summoned several times since, and so she knew the courts were still deliberating on the matter, but they spoke of stolen property - and dragons were not property. They were worshipped here as Gods were, and so how could they agree that he had been stolen?...

As the doors to the courtyard opened she sat up a little, her brows furrowing as she watched Kaveh storm through them.. "Are you going to the festival?" she called over, the soft smile she wore clearly strained. "Will you take him with you?"

Ciraxis snorted, ruffling her hair and she smirked up at him. "Just because I can't go doesn't mean that you shouldn't.." And none would dare try to take him if he accompanied Kaveh and Rayvath.

Last edited:
Every year House Murizi, and by extension Cressida, made it a point to walk from the gates of Thanasis, through the rundown quarters of the lower city and the splendor of the upper city, up towards the main square. All while their dragons marched behind them. It all started at the break of dawn so that they could reach the center of Thanasis by noon.

Morning sunlight caused the black scales of House Murizi's dragons to seem even darker than if they were viewed at nightfall. It erupted cheers from parts of the city while others hide in their homes until friendlier dragons joined the festivities.

And every year in recent memory one individual and one dragon made up the rear. Cressida and her albino dragon Laasya.

Initially, it was out of shame. Laasya had been born a reject, without scales as black as night, and had she not bonded with Cressida things might've been different for the hatchling. But eventually it turned into a tradition as Cressida's military career began and her exploits made her famous. Had she requested it she could likely lead her family's procession during less eventful years but she always insisted on taking up the rear.

The White Rose never left anyone behind. She was the first one in and the last one out.

"We're nearly at the square," she offered to Laasya who was growing restless, "I promise you can take flight the moment we reach the palace."

Everybody was going to be making a point of parading their Dragons around today, and for good reason. Festivals like these were a big deal, and if you were a member of some of the more uptight families or houses it could be a rare excuse to let your hair down and have a little fun. Not that Raimond ever let the Thesisus family's strange fixation on their presentation keep him from letting loose.

If anything, today was the one day he was encouraged to be himself.

"Look at all of em, Than. It's the one day of the year everybody pulls the sticks out of their asses and has a little fun." Raimond stood from the rather spacious rooftop of the Thesius house, peeking out into the square with his elbows leaned against the railings. There were a few faces down there he recognized. Admittedly, he stood up here and watched enough that not all of them would have recognized him back.

One woman, in particular, made him crack a smile. "'Cept for Cress. She looks about the same as ever." The White Rose, as she was known, had one hell of a poker face when it came to Rai's antics. Someday he'd break her. A huff from behind caused Rai to turn around and scoff at the large white Dragon curled up and watching him with curious eyes. "Shut up. I told you it's not like that. She's cute n' all but... What, you gonna start needling me to get hitched too?"

Ha'Than just tilted his head, and Rai broke out into a laugh as he leaned back against the railing. "Careful, I saw Vhagor down there too. Keep sassin' me and I'll tell him who really stuck his snout into that shack behind the temple and took the whole thing down with it." Ha'Than's mouth opened with a decidedly meek roar for a creature his size, despite the rows of razor-sharp teeth on display. A smirk split Rai's lips and he pushed off of the railing to meet his dragon, reaching out to place his hands on his snout.

"Nah, I guess I won't. You think Errune is coming today? I'd like for him to see our routine, if nothing else. I know he's busy and all but..."

Thesius trailed off, earning him a puzzled glance from the beast laying in front of him. Shaking his head, the young man put his smile back on. 'Well, if he shows, he shows. There's a couple of hundred other people down there to entertain. You game?"

As always, Ha'Than very much was.

Last edited:
Melisandre had just finished getting ready when Nanette had knocked reverently on her door, and upon permission the housekeeper stepped inside with a red splotchy face.

“The entertainers are requesting more coin for their services, they know the agreement was for the whole day, and really, it’s not just with the labor, although they have mentioned it. The festival is an all day affair and—“ Meli raised a hand, causing the woman to stop and breathe.

Give it to them.” The last child of Evreux said firmly to the woman that had once been her nanny.

“They’re asking for twenty percent more of what was agreed upon and if you are to do this… Meli, you shouldn’t.” Melisandre’s dark eyes struggled to not show hesitation, but it vanished the moment she nodded her head.

All nobility pays, Evreux will do our part like the others. It’s the only thing keeping us separated from the outer city at this rate.” Melisandre said, smoothing out her attire, glancing at herself one last time. Everything was in place, minus the surly expression that did little in bringing out the pretty fabric on her dress. “Now, I must attend to Eyrx.” Just like all the others, indeed.

This year, she would walk the festival with only Eyrx. Oxa and Kace would never attend another festival, and neither would Urien and Jox, the dragons that killed her brothers. Jox was attacked by Urien, not uncommon for the breed, and when Meli had tried to stop it, Eyrx had…

The memory caused Eyrx to flare out heated air through it’s nostrils, a hint of sulfur in the air.

Yes, an unpleasant memory, one that caused Melisandre’s lower lip to quiver for a moment before she remembered that appearances mattered, especially now. The anxiety was there, but Meli pushed through it. Alongside Eyrx she did feel safe, it was just thinking about the future, the hope for… this time Eyrx growled, their neck reverberating with unbridled irritation.

I’m not saying now,” Meli growled back, “if I’m supposed to marry then you should at least do your duty as well and not kill a good match on sight.” Eyrx blew out more hot air and Meli marched on sullenly, her dark brows pulled down low as her lips moved further downward. Anyone would have believed that Meli killed on sight more than Eyrx if they saw her now.

Last edited:
The White Rose never left anyone behind. She was the first one in and the last one out.

This apparently also included festive occasions.

Having fully intended to go about his day as if it were the same as any other, forgoing and forgetting the existence of this celebratory fete, Errune Thesius arrived to his office desk within the Palace Library & Archives to an awaiting courier. Not altogether unusual: Rune corresponded with a litany of various entities within Thanasis and even beyond. From Noble houses to various other Archivists, Historians, Military personnel, and even the brave adventurer, writing missives and letters had become something of a daily routine.

Anymore, it was close to the only socialization Rune permitted himself.

On the rare occasion it was simply an actual social call - figuratively speaking. Cressida being a stout and longtime friend from his military career. Typically her letters were some of the only things to look forward to so far as people in his life went. But today of all days... Rune somehow knew exactly what that folded parchment contained.

Imagine his bemusement to find out his instincts were correct.

Since Asari's fall, Cressida had been a kind and sympathetic shoulder to his plight and losses. Each year since she'd write to him of the festival that he had once found great enjoyment in, and each year she tried a little more to get him to return. Gentle reminders of fond memories and suggestions that maybe, just maybe, if he gave it a chance he might be able to find joy in the day again.

This year she'd dropped the sugar coating and - Rune's brows lofted faintly as his eyes skated over her writing - did he detect a hint of threat if he refused to meet her?

"M'Lord, shall I shutter the windows?" An Intern quietly asked at his door, "Seems the celebrations are picking up."

Rune eased back into his seat with a heavy sigh, tossing Cressida's letter onto his desk to free his hand that he might knead at the ache presently brewing within his temples. "Yes, Corin, shutter them all. I will have what peace I can get."

And that, it seemed, was that.

For two hours he worked, bent over his desk, poring over missives of new clutches and the growth of various young dragons of note - new bonds, as well. But noon had approached far more quickly than it had any right to, and the noise of the jubilation outside had grown to a steady, thrumming buzz that infiltrated his peace like a hive of angry bees. Insistent that he hear it and have no peace at all.

Soon enough, he could not stand it any longer and he slapped shut the book within his grasp and slammed it on the desk with a growl. It's just one day. One day...

"My Lord?"

"What is it?"

The Intern balked in the doorway, unaccustomed to Thesius raising his tone, "The servants have delivered lunch. Did you wish to take it in your office?"

A heavy sigh. Beyond the shuttered windows he could hear the roars of the approaching procession of dragons. They would be in the square and the uproar would be unbearable.

"No," he replied and with a fair amount of effort pushed himself to his feet and took hold of his cane, "I will take no lunch today. Eat your fill then take your leave - tell the others to do the same."

He pulled on his overcoat and slowly made his way out of the office, closing and locking the door behind him.

"My Lord?" the Intern asked, confused, "We have not finished the genealogical updates for the Sezerus line?"

"It can wait until tomorrow, Corin. I have been threatened by dragon fire and I'd be remiss to pass up the opportunity for such a welcome end."

Last edited:
"I-I-I d-d-d-d-didn't - gulp - mean to V-vhagor, Sir!" the young noble choked on a little sob. The old Ascendant stifled a sigh and surveyed the carnage. It wasn't as bad as it could have been but it shouldn't have happened at all. One market stand was completely destroyed and another's fabric canopy was still alight though the dedicated fire crew that was so important in a city of dragons was making quick work of dowsing it. In the middle of it all was an ash covered child and a rather guilty looking dragonlette who was currently suffering a far worse fate than his human. Nyxondra looked as though she would quite enjoy peeling every scale from the baby's hide.

"What have I said about using fire, Diana?" He said sternly, for he had to be stern. Her parents would not give her the same scolding as the High Ascendant.

"T-that it's dangerous," she looked down at her shoes, bottom lip trembling.

"And this is why. You could have killed someone - multiple people - do you want to be responsible for a childs mother not coming home?"

"No!"

"Then what is the number one rule?!"

"We don't use fire without supervision..."

"Nor will you use it with supervision for the next six months. Clearly, my lessons have been falling on deaf ears. You'll return to basic classes from tomorrow -" the girl gawped and went to protest but Vhagor held up a hand and the words died on her tongue "- and only when I've seen your six month assessment will I consider moving you back to level two with the rest of your class. Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes, High Ascendant," Diana replied glumly.

"Now go home. Festivals are for dragon riders who can respect the rules," with a motion of his hand his dragon slowly released the dragonette pinned beneath her giant claws. The tiny green dragon scampered back quickly to his humans arms where he huddled against her chest. Diana remembered to sketch a bow before taking off at a sprint.

"Careful, I saw Vhagor down there too. Keep sassin' me and I'll tell him who really stuck his snout into that shack behind the temple and took the whole thing down with it.

"Nah, I guess I won't. You think Errune is coming today? I'd like for him to see our routine, if nothing else. I know he's busy and all but..."

"Well, if he shows, he shows. There's a couple of hundred other people down there to entertain. You game?"

Ryla had been listening to her brother speak to Ha'Than for quite some time before she made her presence known. Ha'Than had spotted her when she had emerged onto the roof but Rai was oblivious.

"I knew it was you!" Ryla commented as she walked toward Rai and Ha'Than with Kaari in tow.

The elder twin had traded in her typical military dress for a long black dress with a slit that was too high and a neckline that was too low. She thought she looked great and her mother hadn't even complained about it since she hadn't gotten to secure a betrothal from a family of import. She had a few that had come over the years but she was not going to be saddled with some mouth-breathing third son who she couldn't stand. Being single and having fun was a much better idea.

"And Rune better come because I wore this lovely dress to drive both of you insane," Kaari snorted, which caused Ryla to glare at the opalescent dragon. "Hey!" She admonished, "that was part of the reason. I also look really beautiful in it, thank you very much."

Ryla turned her attention back to the youngest sibling with a sigh. "Are you ready to go see how many guys you can scare off today?" There was definitely some irritation behind her question.

Raimond Thesius

Leovold had long since developed a love-hate relationship with these annual festivals. On one hand, he abhorred what a waste of time and resources it felt like; the plebeians of Thanasis surely already understood how beneath the nobility they were, did they not? What good was wasting an entire day on rubbing that fact in? Was it simply an exercise in getting their hopes up that they might one day walk astride those they knelt before?

Perhaps that was the case, but it felt far more like an opportunity for the nobility to engage in self-congratulatory exhibitionism. Leovold scowled as he mulled over the ordeal, wind rushing through his mane of auburn locks. He could feel Iralux rumble beneath him, clearly also unhappy with the vapidity of their current task: an aerobatics display. From the back of the great sun dragon he could see his father leading a formation from the back of his own draconic bond-mate, waving to the populace just below. Leovold winced in disgust. Such a proud man, eager to perform for the people of Thanasis, and those same people so readily eating up the show as Lord Tyros' dragon shot a jet of plasma harmlessly into the air in front of it. If only any of them, including his father, could figure out that Lord Tyros the Great had nothing to be proud of.

That, of course, did segue his thoughts nicely into considering what Leovold did enjoy about these festivals: showing up his father. For reasons that Leovold himself could only guess, his father had let him fly at the forefront of his own formation this year, rather than forcing Leo to fly behind him in his delta. Perhaps Tyros was simply tired of the awkward shape having Iralux in his delta caused; Ira was, after all, dramatically larger than Lord Solherre's own Exallus. The eldest of House Solherre's mouth twisted up into a knowing grin, and Iralux chuffed beneath him, sensing the building act of brazenness they were about to commit.

Leovold held tight to his saddle with his left hand and raised his right in a fist before inhaling to the top of his lungs.
"TO ME!" He shouted over the rushing wind around him to the four knights in formation behind him.
Immediately thereafter, he pulled hard on the reigns and Iralux banked hard to the right, descending rapidly before going into a barrel roll. The knights followed suit as best they could, unprepared for the sudden lurching maneuver.

The Solherre heir laughed boisterously as the flight of dragons soared just over the tops of buildings, no more than fifty feet above the festivities below. He caught sight of many familiar others atop roofs and landing pads as his formation jetted past: the ever foreboding dark blue hues of the old mentor Vhagor's Nyxondra, the former of the pair sure to be furious with the bombastic display; the twinkling opalescence and vibrant white of the Thesius twins' bond-mates stood out in particular as he rushed directly by them; and, most importantly, the line of ebon behemoths with a single, pale form heading up the rear, marking the procession of House Murizi's own Cressida and Laasya. They did so love that little tradition.

Leovold made a point to fly the formation parallel to the procession and slow for a moment, giving time to wave down at the nobles and audience below, before urging Iralux onwards towards the town square as well. Lord Tyros was likely to be livid; the plebeians were likely to marvel at the show of prowess he'd just put on; Leo didn't much care.

Surprised your girlfriend didn’t devour them both, Vhagor! Nyxondra must be in a good mood today!Melisandre shouted, and looked over at Nyxondra, waving hello to the dragon in what some may have assumed to be a passive aggressive tease. It wasn’t, and if anything, it was Meli having learned her lesson that if she were to approach Vhagor, the possessive dragon would have to give her permission.

And if she didn’t get permission then the last hope of Evreux had no problem with shouting over to the man who had trained her and many others that she still associated with today.

Eyrx of course, never seemed to enjoy that extra touch Melisandre gave to Nyxondra, snorted as it shook it’s head, the sunlight causing the large gold horn to reflect light, much like the iridescent blue and lilac scales. A pretty sight for sure, and it caused some people to ooh and awe at the sight as light danced around them.

Aren’t you glad the most you had to yell at me about was wearing a pair of pants?” That sour look lifted up into something far sweeter, the memories of her youth were quite pleasant. All the hope and time in the world as she trained, preparing for her brief future in the military. “Oh, although I suppose you did have to yell at me about letting Eyrx snack on a old cow in front of the level twos.

Vhagor

Kaveh stalked through the courtyard, the simmering rage pouring through him almost palpable within the air.

Rayvath lurked behind the doors which he had thrown open, her massive head lingering just beyond the wooden frame which kept her gargantuan form at bay. She clearly listened within interest as Briseis called out to the young Prince.

The Nobles head snapped to the side almost immediately.

Cold blue eyes drilled in on the so called Dragon Thief, and a simmering cauldron of anger suddenly bubbled into seething rage. Fingers tightened as he suddenly came to a stop. He seemed to almost stall in place, and then suddenly he burst into that rhythmic march once more. "WE'RE ALL GOING!"

He bellowed to Briseis.

"Fetch a dress from one of the girls." The Prince demanded. "Dig out the nicest thing in the seraglio."

Yes. That was what he would do. Yes. That was what he had to do.

Beyond the doors Briseis and Criaxis would see Rayvath's scales shift slightly. Her massive maw bared teeth for just a moment in what could have been the approximation of a smile, the spines that trailed along the back of her neck raising up in clear amusement. "This city will see us today."

He told her as he continued to march.

Briseis' spine was rigid as she sat bolt upright, less in response to the Prince yelling at her and more to what he yelled, her expression a contortion of confusion as she stared, open-mouthed at him.

"I.."

It was the briefest beginnings of an argument that would never exist. Yes, they were friends, but he was the Prince, and also terrible when crossed. Briseis had been lucky enough never to have faced his wrath but she had seen it first hand, and she didn't wish to tempt his ire. When his mind was made up, it was made up, and so her chin dipped with reluctant agreement as she got to her feet. Ciraxis seemed all-too-pleased with himself, his wings stretching out as he too stood and preened, ready for his parade.

"As you say, Kaveh.." she sighed. At least, she consoled, none would dare try their hand at harming her in their presence. The insults however, she mentally prepared herself for as she searched for a dress to wear. The first one she chose was simple, as her clothes always were, but following a chuckle or two from the surrounding handmaidens, she had no choice but to request assistance. She felt out of place. It'd always been she who helped the Sahar women dress, but never had she herself worn anything like the dresses currently being picked out for her.

"This one.." they agreed. It was ridiculously beautiful, and somewhat scandalous. She could still feel fresh air upon her bare back as she wore it, and it was difficult not to feel a little exposed. It was all sheer fabrics and scales and beads, and when she walked silver flames fluttered in the voile around her ankles and shins.

Dress.jpeg

"Hold your head up.." One of Kaveh's wives reminded her before she could leave. Briseis was so used to keeping her hands folded and her head bowed, but she smiled at the kind reminder that she was no longer in service to any house, and that she had nothing to feel shame for. She descended the palace steps alone, her head held high and her shoulders squared.

Fine. If they were going to see her, they'd see her looking like the dragon rider she was.

Royal Plaza - Central Thanasis

The parade of House Murizi and its banner men was approaching its annual conclusion. Cressida had noticed the wayward boy from House Thesius out of the corner of her eye, her gaze never breaking from the road ahead. As the riders of House Solherre flew overhead Laasya let out a low cry to signal her disappointment.

Cressida kept her posture as fixed as stone. As did the other members of the procession.

Routine made things easier and it allowed her a few precious moments to think things through in her head. For years she’d been begging her friend and former mentor Errune to rejoin the festivities of today. The first time he refused she understood, it was too soon.

But one can only offer the carrot so many times. She’d tried to reach him with inside jokes and tales of old times. Simple words of kindness. One year she began to prod the issue in letters months ahead of time. But Errune had, at least in her mind, slipped into some sort of terrible and lonely place. Where he did not wish to face the world, to face the reality of what had…

Regardless, this year would be different. You can only offer the carrot so many times but the stick? That was a one-time affair. A single threat and if he ignored it then next year’s strategy wouldn’t involve a letter.

It’d involve Laasya dragging the man out of the palace by the scruff of his shirt collar.

They’d arrived at the center of the city, the royal plaza, and in a choreographed maneuver the black dragons of House Murizi began to take off into the sky one-by-one as nobles and commoners alike applauded. Winged beasts swirled in a circle higher and higher over the buildings of Thanasis creating a giant spiral.

Cress leaned her head against Laasya, closing her eyes and rubbing under the dragon’s chin. ”Fly,” she whispered as the pale beast let out a soft purr of approval.

In an instant she took off. Wings pounded against the concrete of Thanasis and Laasya rocketed into the air. An ear-splitting screech of joy bellowed out of her lungs as she soared directly over the tallest buildings of the city. The dragons of Murizi weren’t the fastest nor the largest of Thanasis but no one could deny how breathtaking seeing them all take flight was.

Laasya continued to circle overhead as the pageantry of the Murizi parade died down. No doubt keeping her bonded partner in view just in case anything threatened Cressida.

”Now to go see if that lay about took my words seriously,” he knew her well enough to know that she wasn’t one to make idle threats. Surely he was on his way.

Errune Thesius

The voice of Raimond's twin sister stole his attention away from Ha'Than, and he tilted himself to look behind his dragon where she stood. For a moment anyways, before he cringed and looked away. What on Malakath was she wearing? Ha'Than seemed rather nonplussed about the ordeal (Or more likely didn't want to be further reminded of the shed incident) and rested his chin gently on the edge of the roof to look down at the people below as Raimond shielded his innocent virgin eyes.

"I've changed my mind, Ryla. I hope he isn't coming so he doesn't have to see our sister competing with Melisandre Evreux for most skin shown" Raimond certainly wasn't one to talk; he never had any problems with any of the other eligible ladies of the city showing off what they had. And on them, the dress Ryla was wearing would have been breathtaking. On his sister? Absolutely wrong. Nope. Couldn't be allowed to stand.

Funny how that works, isn't it?

Getting over his dramatics, Rai gives his sister a bit of an exasperated look. "It's not that I hate the idea of you finding a guy, It's more the idea of you finding a guy just to piss off our parents. And don't even pretend that wouldn't be why."

Ryla surely realized that Raimond out of everybody would understand wishing to act directly against the wishes of the Thesius elders. Rai wanted his sister to be happy, and the way he lost his frustrated expression and reached out to wipe a bit of crumbled ash from the air off of her shoulder spoke of the affection he held for her.

He just didn't want her to act out of spite toward their parents. Raimond had already found himself in that line of work and he didn't wish it on anybody. Emotionally, it was draining.

"Look. I'll cut you a deal." Raimond offered a soft smile as he kept his hand resting on her shoulder. "I won't get in the way of anybody who tries to talk to you today, as long as you promise me you'll tell me if somebody is giving you trouble, alright? That, and watch my show. I've been working on this trick for months, and this is the most eyes I'll ever get to show it off. I want you to be there. Deal?"

Ryla Thesius

Merchants Corner

Nyxondra's growl started before Melisandre started speaking alerting him the presence to someone, most likely a woman. He continued to watch the young noble until he saw she had made it safely back to her parents. Her father proceeded to give her his own version of a rebuke and finally Vhagor turned away from the scene; the homestead was not his area to get involved in.

"A lesson I see you did not take with you further on into life," he replied dryly, his eyes running over her daring outfit. He would never understand the youths version of fashion. In his day when he courted young women, it was thought a scandal to show skin above the ankle. Now...

Nyxondra slowly prowled across the square, her eyes fixated on the other dragon, lips slightly curled back from teeth. She might not admit it but the female dragon had a softer spot for the hatchlings she herself had trained and that included the young Eyrx.

"It is good to see you, My Lady," he inclined his head politely. "To what do I owe the favour of your attention today?"

As the Murizi dragons took their flight from the central plaza, Leovold and his flight reunited with Lord Tyros and his, each forming into one large circle above the plaza below. With the black dragons clear, the dragon riders of House Solherre made their descent, finally landing on platforms erected surrounding a statue of the ancient king of Thanasis. The knights and lord each raised their hands to wave to cheering citizens below, and Leovold lazily followed suit.

The lord-apparent spared a casual glance towards his father on the platform opposite the statue. Truly, the Solherre bloodline traits did wonders to highlight when a man was absolutely livid. Even from a distance, Leo could make out the distinctive burning irises and markings on his skin. The heir smiled. He'd be getting a lambasting later, but the plebeians would be speaking of Leovold Solherre for the following days, not Tyros.

Merchants Corner

A short while later, Leovold found himself traipsing through less familiar scenery on the hunt for a more familiar face, and the grouchy old dragon that matched it. He'd seen Nyxondra from overhead whilst making his way in from above, and Leo wasn't about to give up the opportunity to hassle her rider. The Solherre heir had never much cared for the basic concept of the ascended, seeing them mostly as an affront to the very idea of the noble houses, but Vhagor had routinely trounced Leovold during his training days (and as recently as the prior month), so the weathered teacher had earned a degree of begrudging respect from him.

The gold and brass of Leovold's armor shifted and clunked against each other as he arrived near the same steps that his old mentor occupied, his own faithful (if incredibly impatient) bond-mate in tow. Leo could hear heavy huffs and feel the heat of exhaled blasts on his back as Iralux spotted the other two adult dragons in the square.
"If you could not do this every time you encounter Nyxondra, that would be splendid." Leo chided his bond-mate, tugging on his reins. This wasn't an unusual reaction; he was an ornery, young thing, and particularly competitive, even for a sun dragon. The fact that Nyx was one of the few dragons to consistently force submission out of Ira certainly didn't help anything.

It wasn't until Leo bothered to scan the square that he realized exactly why Ira lux was more wound up than usual, though. He'd recognize those blue and gold scales anywhere: the kin-killer, Eryx, and thusly her rider, Melisandre Evreux. Leo tried to stop his face from contorting into a snarl. Today wasn't the day for spreading his vitriol for that accursed house. He had to be "polite" in front of the plebeians.

"To what, indeed?" Leovold highlighted the question as he approached, Iralux literally chomping at the bit behind him. He smiled, as he'd seen diplomats do, as he approached, armor heralding his arrival if the miniature sun on his dragon's forehead did not. "Good day Master Vhagor, Lady Melisandre. I pray I'm not interrupting anything."

Melisandre beamed at Vhagor and his words, bending her knees and tilting her head down with easy grace. If there was anyone who could tease Meli about her clothes it would be Vhagor. The woman twirled, showcasing the soft champagne fabric of her dress, her bodice laced with luminous pearls reflecting the inlayed soft pastel hues of sparkling stones that matched the scales of Eyrx.

Really, Melisandre was showing off that despite twirling, and with one leg in prominent display, nothing scandalous could be shown. She lived by the rule that one should never let the outfit wear the owner.

I wear pants when needed, but during a time of celebration?” She plucked at the tight bodice, fingers lingering at the belt cinching her waist. Was it uncomfortable when she sat down or hunched over, feeling it press into her soft organs whenever she wasn’t standing up straight? Yes, but that was the point. “It’s one of the few times you can show off.” Meli finished with a smile. “And I’d like everyone to see that I’m done mourning.”

Eyrx yawned, displaying it’s purple tongue to Nyxondra and lowered their large head, seeming quite unbothered. Yet it was undeniable as it’s head—sideways so as to not prod Nyxondra with it’s large horn— reached towards the blue dragon that there was amiable familiarity. Even with Iralux entering the Merchant’s Corner, Eyrx was at peace. Only a single huff united the dragon with it’s owner’s inward thoughts as Melisandre straightened her back at the Solherre heir approaching.

Looking over at Leovold, Melisandre raised a brow, her smile fading into something prim. It seems Vhagor was in high demand today. Or perhaps Vhagor was a magnet for sullen children of failing noble families?

Lord Leovold, wonderful air show. I can’t decide whether this year or last year’s was better.” Melisandre said with a smile that hardly reached her eyes. Raising her chin up higher, she made sure to hold the eye contact longer than need be before looking at Vhagor. “He’s grown up, hasn’t he? No longer the little Leo I once towered over. Speaking of those good old days,” Melisandre paused, steeling herself, “I think it’s time I bring the name Evreux back to the forefront for things other than dangerous dragons. To do so, I figure that perhaps you have a few ideas where a pest may need to be exterminated or perhaps a assignment needing a dragon rider?

Vhagor Leovold

By the time he'd made it to the Royal Plaza Rune already wanted to leave. Were it not for his Malakathi War Service Hound, he might've done just that. Baron, as the hound was called, was quite like Rune himself: a veteran of war and battle who'd lost his original handler. Trained as both a security and war beast, Baron's strong physique and large stature made him the perfect service companion for the honorably-discharged Rune.

Not that Rune had been keen on the idea at the start, but over the passing years he'd grown to tolerate the idea. As had Baron.

Standing at the top of the long set of stairs leading down from the Palace proper to the plaza below, Rune's grip on his cane handle tightened. He'd trained himself to stop looking at the skies, to ignore the image of the mighty dragons skating above, and for the most part that worked when it was only a few in residence. But today would prove to be a great challenge indeed. Their hulking, monstrous forms infiltrated his gaze no matter where he looked, and he felt the slowly tightening knot of grief begin to tie itself between his ribs.

This was a mistake, and he knew it. But upon watching Cressida and her own pale steed glide down into the open plaza, he also knew it was too late to turn back. Rune set his jaw and grasped the large, black talon that made the handle of his cane. With a deep breath he began the arduous task of taking the staircase, one hobbling step at a time, Baron in tow on his left.

She was already free of her dragon and looking for him by the time he was nearing the bottom. At the last step he had to stop, teeth ground and grit against the shooting pain in his right side. His eyes closed against it, he didn't see the group of young teens rushing by in time.

There was a snarling bark, a screech, and a sudden bout of chaos at the steps. Rune found himself toppled to the ground with Baron standing guard over him, growling and barking at the children.

What a wonderful start to a horrible day.

Last edited:
The Royal Palace - Courtyard
Briseis

As Briseis moved down the steps the echo of Kaveh's boots quickly resounded upon her heels. The clack of hard leather echoing out within the nearly empty Courtyard of the palace. A few guards still stood watch of course, but most everyone had made their way into the city, leaving a quiet echo as the two of them moved. "Ah, I see Shirian got to you."

He mused, the rage almost gone from his voice as he noted the influence of his first wife upon Briseis choice of dress.

"Good." Out of all of his wives, Shirian was easily the most cunning. More worthy of the throne than even himself.

Kaveh came up behind Briseis, wearing the ceremonial colors of the Royal Family. Sashes of red carefully wrapped around his armor of black and gold. As the two of them moved into the courtyard proper, Rayvath's massive form suddenly appeared atop one of the nearby buildings.

She crawled over the side of the palace, claws digging into the ancient stonework and leaving deep mars within the carved rock. The ground seemed to shake as she jumped from the wall, crashing into the center of the courtyard with Ciraxis just a breath behind her. Rayvath slowly turned her head towards the two, her maw opening ever so slightly in what Kaveh knew what a pleased smile.

The Prince stopped just behind Briseis, glancing down at her.

"Up, and then into the Plaza." He told her quietly. "This city will see us, whether they want to or not."

Kaveh said, stalking down the remaining steps and towards his bondmate. Rayvath's wing swept forward in an instant, lowering to allow the Prince upon her back. He moved in practiced steps, and within seconds the huge Red Dragon extended her wings. They cloaked the courtyard in shadows, and with a single great beat, the Dragon launched into the sky.

"Of course she did." Briseis' smile broke into a quiet laugh as she looked down at the gown she wore with a shrug. The woman had insisted on the charcoal on her eyes and the rosy stain on her lips too, and Bris could only hope that the ensemble made her entirely unrecognisable to save her the judgement she fully expected to face.

Her lips twisted in amusement at Rayvath. She was the largest dragon that existed here, and at times she seemed to forget her own magnitude. More than once, Briseis had feared for the foundations of the palace, and she felt heart sorry for the men who's constant job it seemed was to follow the great beast around, sweeping debris and fixing whatever she happened to break.

"Up?" Bris looked up at him, the smile wiped instantly from her face along with the colour.. "I-in this? I should probably... walk." her voice trailed off as she realised how useless it was. It was one thing stepping out into the public eye in the first place, it'd be another thing entirely if she made an arse of herself either falling from the skies or crashing Ciraxis through one of the gold-tipped monoliths of the palace.

She watched Kaveh and how easy he made it look, her stomach knotting with apprehension as she glanced to Ciraxis who stood rather proudly, staring at her with expectation. The wind from under Rayvath's wings tousled her hair and skirts and she watched the prince ascend with a quiet groan to herself.

"Shit."

The white dragon huffed insistently at her, his body low to the ground as he waited for her to climb. "No fancy shit." she muttered as she shuffled over and carefully pulled herself up. His scales were sharp as razors, a caution she had learned the hard way. Once seated and unwounded, she held on carefully and drew a shuddered breath..

"Alright.. Fly." she sighed. Ciraxis wasted no time at all in launching them both into the air after Rayvath with a loud screech to announce his own presence in the skies. Nothing about this was comfortable, nothing about it was fun. Every muscle ached with tension as she held on for dear life and her stomach churned with every dip and tilt. Ciraxis, unfortunately, loved to show off - especially in front of Rayvath. To watch him flying from solid ground was a beautiful thing to behold, but to be involved in the flight was hell.

"I SAID NO FANCY SHIT!" she screamed at him as he corkscrewed vertically, racing after the great red dragon above. The daft peacock would ensure he garnered attention from above and below, as, no doubt, would his rider's screams.

"High enough....high enough.... HIGH ENOUGH!!!"

The white dragon finally stopped climbing, and there was a short moment for Bris to catch her breath. Just a few seconds of calm as he rode a current of wind and hovered there. A flash of red falling from above took her by surprise, but Ciraxis was all too prepared - his wings folded in tight, and despite the string of 'no no no no's', the dragon fell into a dive..

"FuuuUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK..."

“If it was on Melisandre, you would be swooning like the idiot you are,” she shot back at her twin.

She had long grown tired of his bullshit. She was an adult who wore a uniform most of the time. How dare she want to look pretty on occasion. It was a ridiculous double standard. She really wasn’t even in the mood to enjoy the festivities anymore. Once again, Rai ruins her mood.

“First off, unlike you, I actually want to have a family someday. Unlike you, I want to do what you are supposed to do,” Ryla snapped.

Yep…she was grumpy now. She was close to turning around and leaving him on the roof. She had crossed her arms over her chest like a petulant child as the word deal left his lips. A single dark brow rose as he spoke.

As Rai finished his deal options, she just narrowed her eyes at him.

“Fine,” she finally replied.

Raimond Thesius

Merchants Corner

Vhagor's dour expression softened for just a fraction of a second. Of course. He was not so pig ignorant of the goings on in the rest of Thanasis, certainly not when this particular travesty involved two dragons and riders who had had a bright future. It had simply not been his place to offer such things as a shoulder to cry on and hastily penned condolences did nothing to fill the void of the lost. But now, with she having sought him out, and she, too, being the one to broach such a topic gave him the chance. He took one step forward.

"My Lady, I would have-"

"To what, indeed?"​

Nyxondra's welcome to the pair was a large yawn though Vhagor sensed the sly delight she hoped to garner from not even bothering to hiss in the sun dragons direction.

"My Lord," the High Ascendant sketched a perfectly precise bow. "Of course not, Melisandre was just--"

Lord Leovold, wonderful air show. I can’t decide whether this year or last year’s was better.” Melisandre said with a smile that hardly reached her eyes. Raising her chin up higher, she made sure to hold the eye contact longer than need be before looking at Vhagor. “He’s grown up, hasn’t he? No longer the little Leo I once towered over. Speaking of those good old days,” Melisandre paused, steeling herself, “I think it’s time I bring the name Evreux back to the forefront for things other than dangerous dragons. To do so, I figure that perhaps you have a few ideas where a pest may need to be exterminated or perhaps a assignment needing a dragon rider?

Vhagor stifled a sigh. As children the pair had caused him headaches with their silent war, and he felt the beginnings of one born fresh from the memories now, prodding him behind the eyes. Nyx's eyes practically gleamed as she watched the two younger dragons. The headache intensified.

"There are always needs for dragon riders, my Lady," he began warily and glanced towards Leo before back to the woman before him. "Perhaps you should visit to Ōmeyōcān and we can discuss it, after the festivities," he suggested, referring to the great labyrinth beneath the mountains where the Ascended trained the riders of Thanasis.

Last edited:
Another screech of joy echoed out across Thanasis as Laasya cried out in joy once more. It was better to let the dragon spread her wings, get some air, and be out of sight whenever Errune made his way out. She just wished Laasya would quiet down a tad.

Her pace was slow and deliberate until she approached the staircase that connected a wing of the palace to the Royal Plaza.

That was when she saw it, almost like it was happening in slow motion. Her old friend and mentor slowly descending the staircase with his cane accompanied by his faithful companion Baron. For a few seconds her heart swelled with a mixture of joy and inspiration. He had finally come out of his dark little office to enjoy a day in the sun.

Then the children attacked. Or, perhaps attacked was too harsh a word. They were simply running in youthful exuberance to engage in further festivities and in this excitement they'd failed to even see poor Rune. He collapsed in a heap while Baron stood guard and the teenagers, who had stopped momentarily, decided it was best not to risk getting into trouble or messing with Baron and instead fleed.

Cress rushed over as inconspicuously as possible. Less of a sprint and more of a determined power walk.

"Truthfully, I thought the sun would cause you to melt," she bent over and gave Baron a scritch behind his ears. The guardian seemed to relax, at least enough for her to draw nearer and reach out a hand. "Do you need a hand?"

She expected him to brush her aid aside but she offered it nonetheless. Perhaps this whole thing had been a mistake, seeing him knocked to the ground made her wondered if she'd pushed too hard, too fast. She dismissed the idea almost as soon as it came though. He had to struggle, had to get back on his feet or he might spend the rest of his life in a dimly lit office.

"It's very, very, good to see you."

For several moments Rune considered simply laying there, stewing in his pain and broken pride, to let the world walk over him. Perhaps if he was lucky enough a dragon might land here and paint the staircase with his withered lifeblood. But if life had proven anything to him time and time again, it was that luck did not care to grace his doorstep.

And apparently Cressida had witnessed the entire event. He could see her now, power-walking her way across the square a veritable woman on a mission as she was want to be.

"Ramay," he said to his hound, a command for calm so that she wouldn't risk losing her hand on approach. Baron issued a chuffing grumble, his nose recognizing Cressida's scent, and patiently moved to sit at Rune's side where the man began to collect himself.

Rune didn't immediately meet her gaze as he pushed himself to sit up, thinking that he would have been perfectly happy to greet the fire of Laasya in lieu of the sun and melt beneath her hellish breath instead. But Laasya was conveniently aloft, and instead he had the offer of a hand.

He needed far more than a hand. Two new legs would be nice. Or maybe just an dragon fang lobotomy ... overdose of Florithi to stop the pain ... and every other sensation. His green gaze, acidic with self-spite, shifted upwards to the woman finally and held her own for several moments. The deep scowl on his face did soften somewhat, but he did not accept her hand.

"That is Baron's job," Rune grumbled, his free hand reaching to grab hold of the hound's harness, "dastan," and the command to brace as he used the great beast's own bulk as a weighted measure to right himself. Cressida believed he needed to struggle? Had she voiced as much he would have scoffed. Life was struggle. Didn't she know?

With a fair amount of physical strain and effort, the man used cane and dog to get himself back to his feet and took a moment to absolve the pain striking up his leg and into his spine like a hot fire poker. His eyes slivered open beneath a creased brow as he took the image of Cressida in again now that he could look at her properly. He wanted to say it was very, very good to see her as well, and he could have were they engaged in this meeting back in the palace where joy was not exactly allowed in his day, but the idea of it was far more agreeable. As lovely as it was to see his old friend again, he desperately wished the circumstances were different.

"You look well," he opted for instead. A generous compliment from him, all things considered, "and rather proud of yourself for getting me here. Enjoy it while you can."