Private Tales The Shore and the Sea

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Kristen Pirian

Pride and Steel
Character Biography
Link
Oh, delightful day!

At last the opportunity had come, and what a perfect opportunity it proved to be! Kristen's final mission before Graduation consisted not of some grand siege or massive battle in which the fate of the entire Republic rested. It was instead a far more routine affair—not to dispense too much with humility, but her final mission at the Academy was hardly a test of her newfound skill. Certainly Graduation would be a far more rigorous affair, but that was a concern for the days ahead.

The most important thing about Kristen's lackluster final mission was its location. Specifically, in the vicinity of the Falwood Portal Stone. Truly a circumstance steeped in providence! For it had been arranged between herself and Alistair Krixus, Lord of House Krixus, to have for themselves a cozy picnic on the shores near the Savannah Stone. Yes, it could be said that once Kristen graduated from the Academy and joined the Dreadlord Reserves, that she would then have all the free time in the world to visit Alistair whenever she pleased. But why wait? And why not have this picnic be the penultimate memory of the Academy before the fierce trial that Graduation promised to be?

Preparations needed to happen to make their picnic possible. First, Kristen had hastily sent out a message to Alistair at the first available chance upon departing the Academy for her mission—giving the message plenty of time to reach him and Alistair, in turn, to reach the Falwood Portal Stone within their slim window of opportunity. Second, Kristen took a slight detour on the way back after completing said mission. Oh, well, not truly a detour (not yet, at any rate), but rather she made a few purchases while in the town nearest to her mission site. Clothes suitable for swimming! A few snacks (to supplement what Alistair would be bringing from Mrs. Hursch) and a basket to put them in! Her cloak would make for a fine blanket, so that was good, and didn't need purchasing. A large parasol for shade would have been lovely, but alas, one was not available for her to find.

Then came the actual detour: veering off the path leading straight back to the Academy and going instead to the Falwood Portal Stone. She and Alistair would have time enough for a wonderful afternoon spent in each other's company, and what tardiness it caused in her return to the Academy would hardly be noticed, falling right in to the acceptable range of varying travel times.

The perfect opportunity indeed!

So Kristen Pirian sat presently atop her horse, some few hundred feet from the Falwood Portal Stone on the most well-worn path leading to it, and there she waited.

Her patience would bring to her the sweetest of rewards. For she had something very, very important to tell Alistair this day, didn't she?

• Popcorn
Reactions: Thraah
Alistiar's last few weeks had been a little complicated. It complicated being nearly dying at the hands of a long-lost magical nexus in the ruins of the ancient civilization of Luminore, where Alistiar's idiotic attempt at controlling the weave had resulted in several major injuries.

It had left him bedridden for several weeks. He had tried to manage his family affairs from there but had ultimately had to hire more help for the task. Surprisingly, he could afford it, Alistair's efforts in creating trading partnerships in Tyr, Alliria, and the Empire were beginning to pay off. House Krixus' future finally seemed to be on the rise.

Well, except for his specific future.

Word of Kristen's message had managed to bring a smile to his face, and he was determined to be there. His servants and mother had originally protested, but this was not up for debate. Alistair had begun to grow accustomed to his new disability, and his new runes had been effectively engraved just yesterday, so he should be fine. Besides, his mount Feldaris would look after him.

Alistair had dressed in his best informal attire while packing his horse with all manner of snacks that his mother now insisted on him taking. On the way to the portal stone, he had also managed to stop and buy a large parasol as a gift for Kristen. She had such fair skin, that it deserved to be protected.

The ride to the Falwood Portal Stone was a strange one. Feldaris knew where to take him, so he did not feel in danger, but it was strange not being able to see it all. He still heard and smelled all the scents and sounds he had grown accustomed to over the years, but this one particular sense was just gone.

However, he did feel Feldaris perk up at something and increase his speed. That likely meant it was someone that he knew. Was it Kris?

Kristen Pirian

The Portal Stones, save for the one situated in Belgrath, did not see as much traffic and activity as one might think at first glance. Though a miraculous form of travel (and to Kristen, one of tangible holy significance, placed by Aionus himself upon the face of Arethil), many a mundane man or woman refused to use them, finding the whole experience to be unnerving, unsettling, intensely disquieting. Superstitions abounded even with regard to the immediate proximity of the Stones, and countless scores of people preferred to give the Stones a wide berth, let alone set up a village anywhere nearby. Generally, it was only small bands of adventurers, fearless travelers, moderate companies of mercenaries, these limited number and kind of people who used regularly the Portal Stones and their instantaneous travel.

And so it was that when Kristen saw a mounted figure coming down the path toward her and the Stone, her heart beat mightily with excitement. It would be him! Of course it would be him! And right on time, too, a feat of punctuality which proved amazing considering the distances involved—and such a feat tickled Kristen's delight for timeliness.

As the figure approached, the familiar form of Feldaris was the first thing Kristen could clearly recognize, and with the sight of him it was all but confirmed that Alistair rode in the saddle!

Soon enough, Feldaris came astride Kristen's own horse, and her longing to see Alistair again in the wake of the Dance night at last was fulfilled. Oh, but curse her armor, and curse what small separation, seated as they each were upon their own mounts, that kept them from one another. But it would only be a little while longer. Their dismount would come, as would Kristen's chance to remove her armor once they settled down at the shore of the Allirian Strait. Then, oh yes then, could they properly embrace one another, and Alistair's arms, the feel of them achingly absent for a time nearly unbearable, would again hold her, and she would in her own turn be able to press herself to him, to share her touch and her warmth as she indulged in his own.

At present, it would have to be enough to hear his voice, his lovely, lovely voice.

"Alistair," Kristen said, her smile as grand as her inability to contain it, "What need have I for wings, when the renewed sight of you is cause enough for me to soar?"

There was something...off, though. His eyes. She remembered fondly their deep blue, but now their hue had changed. Teal? She wanted to get a closer look at them, but couldn't as of just yet—the time would come.

"Have I summoned you in the midst of some experimenting? Your eyes have changed." No alarm characterized her tone, for she assumed the best possible case for the difference.

Alistair Krixus

As Kristen drew closer, Alistair was finally able to pick her out from her magical aura. It was...jarring. She was one of the first people that Alistair had met where their magical aura so clearly was juxtaposed with the looks and personality that Alistair knew of. Her aura was pure, or should he say divine, but it was domineering and powerful. It was less like the priest of some religion, and more like an inquisition's executioner.

However, as soon as he heard that lovely voice, none of that mattered. A wide grin spread onto his face at her poetic words as he urged Feldaris to move next to her, but the horse needed no encouragement.

"I would happily be the winds if I could carry you through the skies." He tried, he was no poet like Kristen, but it was better than nothing.

He would have enjoyed continuously flowing back and forth with verse, but her next question caused him to hesitate. Alistair had hoped to avoid the situation at first, but maybe that was wishful thinking...There was always that worry that what if his blindness proved to push her away. Surely, her family would be against her being with some blind baffoon of a Dreadlord.

"Yes...a recent injury from my last excursion. I wasn't aware of the color change though." He chose the coward's choice and decided to deflect the inevitable discussion.

Kristen Pirian

Alistair's greeting in turn brought with it the tide of affection which till now had no shore to caress with its gentle flow. But now he was here, voice and all, and the past few days of grueling patience, the lackluster final mission which was routinely done and stood merely as an obstacle to a better occasion, at last culminated in this moment, the joy of first glimpse after long departure.

Yet the bliss was not without some tarnish. Concern, acting today as a thief of joy, came to the fore when Alistair spoke of his eyes. Kristen couldn't help but to gasp. "An injury! Why, what happened? What—!"

She took a measure of herself. Calmed. No, concern would not be a successful thief today. Strife ceaselessly plagued the world and therefore each of their lives but this was no due cause to willingly cast a gloomy pall over what should be a bright day.

Kristen took off her left gauntlet, reached across the gap of their mounts, and touched Alistair's arm. "Speak of it only if you wish. Do so and I shall hear the tale with a check upon my worry, receiving your story with grace. For today is a day for joy. Today is a day for us. And we are each here now."

Alistair Krixus

Her worry was the one thing he did not want. Alistair had hoped he could play off the injury, but he suspected that trying to disregard it anymore would only make Kristen worry about him in Silence.

He felt her hand rest rest across his arm, so he reached out and rested his hand on hers while trying his best to put up a smile that would reassure her.

"It is complicated, to say the least, but...my hubris led to me attempting some dangerous things with magic far beyond our understanding of it. There was a price to pay."

Up until this point, he had been growing accustomed to her aura, but his new sense was still a strange way to understand vision. He could see her shape and mass, but gone were a sense of her features or colors. While it put him at ease to know she was there, he could no longer hold back his desires.

He used some of his magic to activate the runes engraved into his eyes. As they began to glow, his normal vision returned to him, must like how he saw the world in his original eye runes. As soon as the full image of Kristen appeared to him, he felt unnoticed tension in his shoulders disappear.

"We...aren't sure if they affects are permanent."

Kristen Pirian

• Nervous
Reactions: Kristen Pirian
That check upon her worry succeeded only with great effort. As Dreadlords (and for Kristen, a soon-to-be one), theirs was a profession fraught with danger, such was true. Yet, even more so than her porcelain and adamantine hand, Alistair's rune-engraved eyes spoke to her with deadly clarity of this danger both of them faced.

Kristen noticed the glow, as small and subtle as the runes which emitted it, but she knew not what it signified. Could he...see her? It seemed that he could see well enough to make the ride to the Falwood Portal Stone. Mayhap it was like her hand? Providing the functionality which had been lost, even some additional benefits (though, perhaps, at some cost).

"If there is at all hope to remedy these effects, then together we will shall find and seize it."

She just had to know, so she did indeed ask.

"Can you...see my smile?"

Alistair Krixus

Alistair gripped her hand reassuringly as he looked into her eyes. He wanted nothing more than to completely dispel all of her fears, but he knew that wasn't possible. Well, maybe he did think he could a little, but it was that same hubris that also made him think he could single-handedly handle an entire magical bomb connecting to his brain.

"I do, and it is as radiant as ever."

He pulled up his sleeve showing off one of his many eye runes that decorated his skin, before that rune moved further up his arm to where it could not be seen.

"For now, I have ways of granting me sight. It's not the most convenient, but it works."

He pulled Kristen forward, while Feldaris began to move towards the Portal.

"Let's forget about the negatives and go and enjoy ourselves."

Kristen Pirian

• Bless
"I am glad," Kristen said. And what a profound relief it was! For Alistair to have been robbed totally of his sight, to forever be cast into a cruel darkness that forbade him even the simple pleasure of seeing her smile, this among so many other things, would have been awful.

Yet his eyes, her hand, these now both served as chilling reminders: Dreadlords were not known for living long lives. But this made what Alistair had to say next, that they ought forget those ills of the past and enjoy themselves, all the more keen a point.

"Yes. Let us away!"

As their horses trekked toward the Stone, Kristen at last had occasion to notice something which Alistair had brought along.

"Oh, you've gotten a parasol! How fortuitous! 'Twas not for me to find one, what with such limited opportunity and being pressed for time. The town from which I departed was small and quaint, and their general store, as perhaps could be expected, lacked a great many specialty items."

Kristen let out a refined laugh.

"Let us hope that it is not raining on the Savannah Stone side of Liadain. Oh! Or, if mayhap it is, then the parasol will be useful for more than merely shade."

Alistair Krixus

He could still see that hint of worry, but it was not something he could fix. To put it more exactly, he did not know if he wanted to fix them. His sight, these injuries, these were a punishment that Alistair deserved to pay. To somehow fix this would almost feel like he wasn't going against some karmic path.

Alistair let his vision fade away as Feldaris took control and Alistair just focused on Kristen's aura. As the color and features of the world around him faded, he could not help but feel a twinge of sadness.

A smile quickly crossed his face as he reached back until he felt the parasol and then handed it off to Kristen.

"Yes, you can thank my mother. She apparently sees more steps ahead than even I think I do."

She had not only had time to cook but also suggested Alistair stop by and grab the parasol and a bottle of wine.

"Who knows maybe she can also see the future."

Kristen Pirian

• Aww
Kristen blushed tremendously at the suggestion. Or, more specifically, at what such a suggestion, however fanciful, might entail. Does she see us together? Does she see you taking my hand and asking me that most joyous of questions? Does she see me making you the happiest man to be found on Arethil, and coming to bear the name of Krixus?

"A mother's intuition is keen," Kristen said. And then with cheer she added, "Though perhaps your mother has kept her soothsaying a secret closely guarded, hmm?"

They passed into the threshold of the Stone's influence, that conspicuous ring where grass did not grow and even rock itself was darkened and charred. Many found the sight frightful, but what truly was the cause for fear? The Stones, gifts of Aionus, were a means of magic which could not elsewhere be found on Arethil; the perimeter of the Stone's influence was clearly marked, and no adverse effects (aside from those caused by a faintness of heart) had ever afflicted a user of the Stone.

Kristen dismounted, parasol in one hand, the reins of her horse in the other.

"How grand would it be?" Kristen mused, "To visit each and every Portal Stone destination? Gosh, grander still, I would say, to actually be the spearhead of discovery, and to find one of the lost and inactive Portal Stones—a great blessing! But today, there is no other destination to which I would rather go than to the Savannah, and to the shore of the Strait."

With you.

Alistair Krixus

• Bless
Reactions: Alistair Krixus
Alistair chuckled lightly at the idea that his mom could see into the future. That would certainly be against character, given her tendency to get lost in her own mind. No her real talent was just knowing that her son also had that same flaw, so she reminded him when things were truly important.

As they approached the stones, what Alistair saw was enough to make him sick for a short moment. He nearly swayed from his horse but caught himself at the last second. While the Portal Stone was not some grandiose monument, the magic that it gave off had been unexpectedly vibrant and chaotic. It was this sudden sensory overload that forced him to take time to steady himself.

He turned his attention to Kristen and was glad to see his world had righted itself. He descended from his own mount, letting Feldaris guide him right next to Kristen.

"To every corner of the world, truly a wonderful dream."

The idea seemed unlikely, after all, how could the world not be completely explored after all this time? No, he had seen some of these lost and forgotten corners, and there was still so much to explore. The belief sent a thrill up his spine. But, Kristen was especially right about one thing.

"For all of the wonders of this world, my perfect place is with you."

Kristen Pirian

• Aww
Kristen had been inspecting the runes at the base of the Portal Stone, eyes gliding each one, all of them catalogued faithfully in her mind, searching for the one which represented the Savannah Stone, when Alistair spoke and his words arrested her in mid-motion. A silent gasp, half-formed, with brows raised and mouth ajar, had caught on her expression, for she had been taken immensely by surprise. But this silent gasp quickly became a look of melting affection—and it was a shame that he couldn't see it with clarity! She would have to convey her feeling through words, warmly spoken.

"Alistair..." she said. She couldn't stop smiling as she let go of the reins of her horse and touched his chest, leaned in and kissed his cheek. "...those might be the sweetest words you have shared with me yet."

And the most romantic! She had to restrain herself at just a kiss on the cheek for now, else they might be here at the Falwood Stone all day.

"Soon will we have more time for each other's company. And what greater joy could there be for us?"

Kristen knelt down and touched the rune for the Savannah Stone, priming the destination. She stood.

"It's ready," she said. And then her shoulders hitched up, her smile becoming a gleeful grin. "I'm excited!"

Alistair Krixus

Alistair could not help but smile just hearing the love and excitement in Kristen's voice was enough to know that this trip would surely be worth it. He reached over and squeezed her hand lovingly before watching the stone activate.

He was forced to close his eyes, even though he was now prepared, the type of magical energy that was being thrown around was like someone shining several different colors of lights directly into your eyes.

Alistair let Feldaris pull him towards the portal, but he kept his grip on Kristen with a big grin.

"First stop, a much-needed break."

The magic of the portal had always felt a little uncomfortable in the past, but now it felt more like some sort of troll was juggling him. He stumbled out the other side of the Portal but tried to quickly right himself before Kristen could see.

He quickly turned to see how Kristen was.

"Everything alright?"

Kristen Pirian

• Yay
Often were people deceived by how a thing felt—readily did something which was bad for you feel good, and easily did something which was good for you feel bad. Not always did these line up in the way which intuition might suggest. What better proof than medicine? What more universal a sentiment than the mild aversion to taking it, on account of its bitter taste, even though such potions, elixirs, and all the like were the remedy for one's ailments?

The Portal Stones, and their strange method of travel, were much like medicine in this regard. Many people, and especially those without magic, simply were adverse to how the Portal Stones' near instantaneous travel felt. Yet Kristen, ardent believer in Aionus that she was, knew each and every Stone to be a gift from the Holy Sentinel. But of course one would be awed, in all senses of the word, in using them—they were the relics left to mortalkind by a god, after all.

Reality snapped back into being for both Kristen and Alistair, and just like that, they were hundreds of miles away from Vel Anir. And speaking of miles, 'twas only a small matter of them separating the Savannah Stone from the sea. A short ride through the coastal woodlands. Kristen could practically smell the sea already!

Everything alright?

"Absolutely!" she said, unfazed by what others might deem as the "unnerving" travel via the Portal Stones. She spread her arms and looked skyward and spun around in a circle. Once. Twice. Beaming magnificently as she did. "Look at this sunshine! It's perfect! Not a cloud in the sky! Why, it is almost as if the oft said expression my mother uses has taken form! Just for us."

Sunshine is never more than a day away, so her mother said and so Kristen herself often repeated for its wisdom. Behind them were all of their worries, all of the myriad concerns pressing against the Republic, against the Guard and the Dreadlords, against Anirian citizens, against House Krixus and House Pirian. Here, for this brief and bright spot of time, they could simply bask in the sunshine. Bask in peace.

Bask in each other's company.

Alistair Krixus

Well, Alistair couldn't really look at the sunshine, but there were new parts of his life that he could really appreciate. As soon as they stepped through the stone, he could feel the sun on his skin. It was warm, but not so warm as to be uncomfortable. He could tell that Kristen was spot on with her description.

He was content to stand there and enjoy it, but as soon as he saw Kristen spinning he could not stop himself. The runes on his eyes began to glow as his vision returned to him. He was greeted with a beautiful sight instantly bringing a wide grin to his face.

Kristen twirled with wonderous glee while the savannah sun shined down upon her bouncing perfectly off her skin making her look as if a goddess had descended and graced him with her presence. For just a moment, he was tongue-tied. His mind telling him to shut up and enjoy this moment.

And in just that moment, with perfect weather, a perfect woman, and a perfect day planned out, for the first time in a long time, Alistair felt the tension in his shoulders relax.

"Let's go find someplace we can set up, so we can enjoy the rest of our day."

Kristen Pirian

• Aww
"Yes!" Kristen said. "Some place with a gorgeous view. Not too close to the shore, yet not too far away." And also, aside from the fun of scouting out a place to set up their picnic, she was also feeling a little peckish. The sooner begun with the all the setup, the sooner they could simply relax and eat (but not relax too much, Kristen still wanted to test the seasonal warmth of the Strait's waters!).

So Kristen hopped on her mount once more, and they set off through the coastal wood. Here, in the lush coastal greenlands north of the Savannah, the trees were of a different quality than what Kristen was used to back down south. She—obviously—had never been deep into the Falwood, but if she had the prestigious size and mighty trunks would not have seemed to her so new. Cast into shade were the two Dreadlords, as the window of sunlight around the barren Portal Stone was left behind and the great canopy far above left but meager evidence of the sky overhead.

This ride through the well-worn track of the wood did not last too long. Soon came the very faint but recognizable sound of the sea, just before the mighty trees halted their advance upon Liadain's edge. Once Kristen and Alistair emerged from the wood, what lay before them was a gentle downhill slope, covered in grass until it met the lapping waves of the Strait and a stretch of sandy beach took over. The Strait itself extended off toward the horizon, and beyond the edge of their sight those waters would lead to the Taagi Baara Steppes and the Steppes Stone which stood on that opposite shore. Distantly to the northwest could be seen one small island, one larger island, and two ships, little specks upon the water, sailing west for port of Elbion along the Cairou River or perhaps preparing to round Eaglehead for the ports further north.

Kristen leaned forward in her saddle, resting her arms on the saddle horn and just taking in the expansive view.

"We have many troubles, Alistair. Many causes for worry and many concerns to besiege our hearts. It is not that we wish to shrink from our duties, but to employ moderation in the form of a brief respite."

She smiled, looking over to him then.

"And here we have it."

Alistair Krixus

A brief respite, that's all this was. They had their own problems in a world away, but...More often than he was comfortable admitting, Alistair had wondered several times about just running away with Kristen. Just like so many rogue Dreadlords, they could disappear. They could even build a small home near somewhere like this. No more outside problems.

But that wasn't who he was. That was not who Kristen was. If they gave up on their city and their families then that would change fundamental parts of themselves.

For the briefest moment, a sad smile reached Alistair's face before quickly dispersion. One of his hands reached out and lightly caressed a nearby leaf dangling from a vine.

He could spend more time dreaming about what he did not have, or he could appreciate what he did have right in front of him.

"Best get started then. Last one down gets thrown in the ocean." He smiled towards her and laughed before urging Feldaris on who shot off towards the beach with a whinny of delight.

Kristen Pirian

• Gasp
"Ahhhhhhhhh-hahaha!"

Kristen's yelp began as one of surprise, if maybe a touch of alarm from the suddenness, and before it's end morphed into one of joy. Alistair went shooting off on Feldaris and Kristen spurred her own mount onward. She trailed behind him, her horse paling in comparison to Feldaris when it came to the speeds of their gallops, but hardly did it matter. Up and down the gentle grassy slope they went, now this way, now that way, racing for the sheer fun of the moment in addition to searching for the prime spot for their picnic. What chorus backing this joy consisted of the hooves of their horses beating along the ground, the steady rhythm of the sea against the shore, and the occasions of laughter from the two of them.

In time, they came to a halt. A bit a flat grassy land, just shy of the sand and large enough to spread the picnic blanket comfortably, made for the ideal location.

Kristen dismounted, breathing heavily from the exhilaration as though she herself, not her horse, had done all of that running. "Be gentle, Alistair!" she said in good humor. "When you throw me into the ocean!"

Her grin captured all the delight that was possible for her to hold in that moment.

Alistair Krixus

Alistair trusted Feldaris to carry him forward, letting the horse adjust to the trail, while Al just focused on not falling off. The wind whipped through his hair and pulled at the corners of his mouth, almost forcing him into a smile.

Every few seconds of the ride brought with it new senses that Alistair focused on, first was the feel of the wind, then the sound of the ocean, followed by the rhythm of his horse's stride. All of it coming together to cement him in this moment.

When Feldaris finally came to a stop, Alistair slid from his saddle. He turned to Kristen with a big grin as he started to help set up their picnic spread.

"Maybe, we will see." He responded teasingly.

Kristen Pirian

• Ctuhlu senpai
While Alistair spread out the blanket, Kristen took the parasol she had been given, opened it up, angled it to shield against the sun—king of that bright blue sky—and firmly drove it into the ground. She took from her mount the basket of snacks strapped to the saddle bag, came back to the blanket, and all but plopped herself down onto it, letting out a deep sigh of relief and setting the basket down beside her and then simply reclining back. She shut her eyes for a moment, making a pillow of her hands as well as she rested. Travel, whether by foot or horse, could be exhausting, each for its own reason.

Yet some travels came with grand rewards.

"Soon...what an open schedule I will have," Kristen mused. Alistair himself had been enjoying the fruits of the Reservist status for some time now already. "And though there is much I wish to do at home, with serenity such as this available throughout our world, how can I neglect venturing abroad? Ahh, so much to do, and so little time."

She peeked up at Alistair with one eye open.

"I am sure you have felt this very same sentiment yourself."

Alistair Krixus

"Yeah, something like that...Where would you be off to first? What wonderous sights would you seek out?"

Alistair grinned as he plopped himself down right next to her, letting himself lean into her and give a feint nudge. An open schedule, that wasn't exactly what Alistair would call it. Running his family was a full-time commitment right now, and he was doing other things as well. It felt like he rarely had a chance to ever stop and just breathe.

However, recently, he had begun to wonder if this constant sense of urgency that he felt was not something he was required to do and more something he enjoyed. The thrill of constantly being in motion, and solving problems. In fact, in the past two months, House Krixus had signed several trading agreements with Tyr and the Empire that were already proving beneficial. It would not take much to hire new hands that could run the family's business pursuits, and leave Alistair solely to focus on...him.

Why did that worry him? Did he feel like he would be losing something? He still had his work with the Inquisitors and other Dreadlord missions that he was specifically picked for...

No, he supposed it was all because he worried that he was losing his drive and his goals. His entire life had been set by such clearly defined goals. At first, it was to survive the Academy, then it had been to get away from his father's influence. Both of those were accomplished. Then he had wanted to get his family house back in order and that finally seemed to be going in the right direction. So what was next? What were Alistair's goals?

He felt the weight of Kristen, both of their arms touching oh so lightly as they sat next to each other. He turned to her with a smile, and his eyes flashed with magic once more so he could get a complete view of her. He supposed he did have one more goal...

Kristen Pirian

• Thoughtful
That little nudge, that little touch—heralds of even better things to come. And what better way to return to the Academy, prepared for the rigors which would await her in Graduation, than with the simple and joyous memories they would make here? What greater assurance than the touch of Alistair—his hands, his embrace, his lips—to see her through whatever may come?

She crossed her legs as she lay.

"Mount Dincia, of course, I have already spoken about; and while I know it will be gorgeous, I would have the reasons of pilgrimage and priesthood for traveling there, not merely for the pleasure of it. Belgrath I would absolutely adore, yet, seeing that they have a Portal Stone right in the very heart of their city, there would not be much travel involved."

There were some places which she had already been, as well: Alliria, and a fair portion of the Reach; Elbion, twice now. But there was something which did strike her fancy, now that she was thinking of the world and its myriad locales.

"I think it would be lovely to visit Annuakat—I have heard that the city is quite beautiful to behold, its surrounding oasis a jewel in the desert. And, more so, the one time I ventured into Amol-Kalit was marked with..."
she shuddered slightly, "...thorough unpleasantness. It would be good to erase, or at least counterbalance, those memories with delightful ones."

Alistair Krixus

Alistair just listened with a content smile on his face. Kristen sounded so excited about all of the potential places she could go, and that made him smile wider. He had never thought about going to Belgrath, but maybe the entire Spine and the Delta would be places worth visiting.

"I never made it to Annuakat, but the Empire is a truly beautiful place. My short time in Ragash was wonderful. It was architecture for the sake of beauty."

Of course, one of those times had been to retrieve another lost sibling. Thankfully, the last one that he was aware of.

There was one other place that he was looking forward to going one day. He had read reports on the faraway continent that featured dragons and an even more amazing species, Malakath.

"I really want to see dragons, maybe even fly with them one day...or the griffin riders."

Kristen Pirian

• Yay
Lucky Alistair! Able to see the famed beauty of at least one Empire city, and on agreeable terms too, from the sound of it. Whatever the frigidity of the political climate between Vel Anir and its rival power upon Liadain, still Kristen endeavored to give Amol-Kalit its due and take some leisure there. Cortos...well, figured she could safely skip Cortos.

Kristen rolled her head over to glance at Alistair, caught by mild surprise by his own response.

"Dragons? I will freely admit that such a prospect is to me...a touch frightening. The Elbion locals, both times I occasioned our neighbors to the north, always spoke of dragons in hushed, even fearful, tones."

Alistair's interest in dragons, Kristen surmised, might well be scholarly, though, creatures of legend that they are. He was always seeking to learn more, to expand his knowledge on everything and anything. And she did admire this drive, this passion; his intellect had an allure which simply could not be matched either by their erstwhile classmates nor by any of Kristen's current fellow-Initiates.

She smiled. "Griffins sound more manageable, though. That would be Oban, yes? Or was it Dornoch? I have a tendency for getting those two confused."

Alistair Krixus