Fable - Ask A nightmare dressed like a daydream

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first
Isiell was not easily amused, but even she could not help the purely mirthful laugh that escaped her as Lorcan pleaded for her not to talk of balls. With a smile almost as sincerely friendly as the ones she spared for Ariel, she slipped her hand into the Autumn Prince's.

"I can make no promises, my Lord," Isiell confessed mischievously as she was turned onto the dance floor once more, bringing her free hand to rest on Lorcan's shoulder. "But I do offer my condolences for the current state of your... family jewels. Who knew the little mortal had it in her?"

She was distracted by a moment when the strange fae-ish creature (Wilton Frae)--and considering the appearance and existence of many fae, to use the word strange was indeed something of note--begin to sing and dance oddly before throwing glitterdust in the air. Isiell had noted Favashi's nudging of the cwn annwyn a moment ago, and this one was trying to avert it. And while the Dawn Court may have loved causing a ruckus in many different ways, at some level they still had to watch out for each other. So as she was led across the floor in the Prince's arms, Isiell elegantly twisted the hand on his shoulder, and set all the glitter falling through the air ablaze.

"As for the matter of the shit show," she turned her attention back to the Prince as a satisfied smirk settled on her face, "I'm sure my reputation, both from the Winter Court and the Dawn Court, precedes me. However, I am not as familiar with the... delicate balances at play in the Autumn Court. But if you'll be my willing cohort this evening, I'm sure we can liven this place up quite nicely."

Even as the whispered, warm breath from Ariel flitted against her ear and brushed down her neck, she felt the weighted gaze of one she never wished to have. It was like feeling a thousand swarming bees with the crackle of dry, rustling and rotted leaves. The Erlking.

She could almost understand why Prince Lorcan acted the way he did. Almost. A shift of her eyes caught his smirk.

Fae male bastard.

A spark of that anger returned. It would be better to remain that way because the alternative was fear. She'd save that for later. When she was alone and back in Delun's house. Blinking, she looked at the goblet in her hand and set it gingerly down upon the bar-table.

"Act normal?" She nearly choked, about to go off on all the reasons why that was insulting. Pale-green eyes met his of gray-green. "He deserved it," she said in the smallest of whispered huffs, very well knowing how good their hearing was.

She paused, seeing this one was perhaps trying to help. Even if she wondered why. Even if she was suspicious of his motives.

At first, she wished she could explain to him why she didn't like dancing. What the other fae had made her do before she was protected from glamor. But those were far too serious topics around too many good-hearing ears. Instead, she asked.

"So you're saying you don't think the Prince can dance?" A small twitch at the corner of her mouth, lips visible just beneath her mask of leaves. She might've chose that moment to flee if she'd seen the approach of Seska. But she was too focused on Ariel.

She found that she was, in some ways, a different person when she was among her kindred. Or, perhaps, just a great deal less tolerant of foolishness, of which she was already fairly intolerant of to begin with. Something about the repetitive nature of idiocy, a cadence marching down through the ages to the edge of memory itself, just grated on her nerves.

She did not hurry on her way. There was no need; the girl and the boy she was with could not escape her. Well...the boy couldn't, anyway. She imagined the mortal could evade her until her dying day, but that day wasn't likely to come for Ariel, now, was it?

Unlike Delun, she had no qualms about eavesdropping, and she did so as she glided up to them.

"I dare say he cannot dance now, child," she said suddenly from behind the pair. So close, she was forced to look up at either of them, but the diminutive size did not hide the menacing aura she had draped about herself. The blank porcelain mask provided no visual cue to her mood, but even had she not been wearing it that might have been impossible to discern. She was very practiced at hiding her thoughts and emotions, after all. Though, at this point the pair could probably guess.

She looked her up and down in a dismissive way, and then turned that crystalline gaze on Ariel. "How utterly...banal," she said. "This is what interrupted my evening? I would lie and say my time was precious and how I choose to spend it was as well but...well, that would be a lie. I, at least, have a wealth more time available to me than you do, girl." There were so many ways that that statement could be taken, but the ancient seelie did not elaborate further on which of them she meant. Didn't care to, when it came down to it; let the one squirm at what she meant. The other too, if he wished to interfere. "Cutting short an interesting conversation might seem unimportant when compared with cracking some other fools choice almonds, but..." She did not finish the thought. She cast a dark look in Lorcan's direction that they could not see, before returning her attention to the pair.

She tilted her head to look to Ariel. "A knight-errant," she began in a cool, even voice, "should probably pick his battles carefully. Some wrongs cannot be righted, and some treats are not worth the trouble." She smiled. They couldn't see it, but she smiled and it was as frigid as winter itself. It was as polite a way of telling the young unseelie that he was about to put his foot into something he probably did not want to become mired in as she was willing to give him.

Fraeya Ariel

"He deserved it."

"Perhaps," he answered, and he had to admit it was great fun to see. "Or perhaps not. It is done now in either case, and I fear our escape has not been successful."

He was not familiar with this small woman that approached them, but she had an aura about her that he found chilling if not entirely terrifying. The blank mask, the tiny frame, they both felt like lies to hide a greater being.

He did smile at her comment, and took a sip from his goblet. It fell when she addressed him directly though. "I assure you, my lady, I am exceptionally selective in my battles. As for treats, well, I daresay the rewards of a good deed are quite enough." A brazen lie, especially amongst fae. Especially amongst the unseelie who held little regard for "good" and "evil."

Likewise, akin to his wintery cousins, he saw little reason to shun the short-lived peoples. "And what more reason for her to enjoy herself tonight than a looming death? Caution is for the aged."

A cutting irony as he, one of the "aged," was throwing caution very far to the wind this moment. He leaned a bit closer to Fraeya and whispered. "And to answer your inquiry, the prince can dance, and dance well. The problem is, when you can have any partner you want, you don't need to care much for their comfort, do you?" He clinked the cup she had set on the table with his own and took another drink to warm the chill in his spine that Seska had caused.

There was no strain in his smile as Midir drew near to him. Instead, he shared a look of annoyance but the target seemed to not be the man who employed him.

"It does pain me to see you torn from such interesting company, Erlking, but I should never think to take my leave without informing you proper." He nodded to the man. "I would not attempt to slight you so."

His eyes drifted to Prince Lorcan before speaking.

"It was my mistake for calling my assistant here, but I had not expected the Prince to attempt your attention with such blatant disrespect." He shook his head, the silvery strands of hair moving slightly as he continued on. "I will be taking my leave after a particularly pointed guest arrived and caused my assistant such anxiety she believed she had been set upon and thus...lifted her knee in a sharp motion." His lips curled slightly the closer he got to the point, the silent threat of a laugh forming behind the sealed space there. His words were steady, but held a deeply choked laughter.

He had never seen someone so thoroughly disarmed by a mortal before. He would have to write it down.

"I will not endeavor to keep you from your company any longer, my King. I, along with my assistant, will take our leave for the evening." The words sounded as a question, the respectful bow of his head waiting for the response.

Midir leaned against one of the twisted knotted trees as Delun spoke.

There was a reason the fae across from him had survived so long in this court of theirs. A reason why the Erlking actually trusted him and not just tolerated. He might have spoken cordially in front of those around them who were clearly listening but his right hand man was no cowed fool. In a way he was the counter to what Midir needed to be in order to keep a leash on the beasts that were his people. The calm, diplomatic one. But he had seen Delun snarl and bite when needed to. His son was indeed a fool for trying to get at him using something that belonged to him.

A very interesting toy. Midir raised his eyes to where Seska had now gone to also get a better look at this girl who had caused all the commotion and the corner of his lips lifted into a smirk.

"No," he sounded... amused in a way. "At least, not before I get to dance with the young maiden."

His smile took on a cruel flash of teeth.

"As a way to... apologise for my son," and with that he was gone, his eyes set on Freaya.

"Fetch, doggies," she whispered quietly and her eyes flashed gold.

Vaer didn't want to look. He didn't want to know what she was up to. He also couldn't help himself. Vaer glanced over just in time to see the cwn, who were already fixed and eager, lunge. Three of them stepped forward and, in a smooth streak of light like clouds lit by the sun, shifted into their canine forms. Long and sleek, their narrow muzzles were peeled back in a trip of snarls as they nipped at Wilton's legs and shoulders. They weren't trying to hurt him or the porcupine. They were trying to get them to run.

"Mean ugly doggies~ Mean ugly doggies~ Why you look so sad? You're huffing out trouble! Puffing out trouble! Don't be so mad! Just rest if your sleepy! Or chase the one oh so creepy!"

The three cwn scurried back with their ears laid down and teeth still bared. They sneezed, shaking their snouts and using their paws to knock the glitter from their white faces. The moment the glitter caught fire, however, they and their siblings all began to yelp. Their coats and hair and robes were singed.

As the brief flames were extinguished and burned out, however, one of them turned to nip at a Summer courtier. The wood nymph let out a shriek and the single cwn gave chase.

The other two turned back to Wilton Frae and Lady Stewpot. This time, their teeth pinched as they nipped at his thighs and shoulder.

"My friend, I can tell you now for free, but that way leads chaos."

Vaer immediately lost interest in the shit show unraveling on the other side of the dance hall. He threw Favashi a look that was somewhere in the valley between exasperation and a glare.

"Well then. My chaotic friend, might you lend some advice for navigating choppy waters?" He sighed. "I fear I may already be involved more than I would like." He turned in search of another glass of wine. He was going to need it.

His dark eyes met the verdant gaze that shone from beneath the mask of golden sunlight, the glittering gem stones that encrusted it casting his face in sparkling light as he offered her a wolfish grin at the sound of her laughter. "I am glad to know that my pain amuses you, Lady Isiell, and yes. Your reputation precedes you.." he flashed a white smile at her with a subtle wink, a mischievous flash of gold in his eyes. "I believe you know my mother, but talk of her will only sour my mood more and so let's avoid that subject and focus on how quite lovely you look." he complimented, fingers brushing her waist as he twirled her.

It was difficult, even in his drunken state, not to notice the chaos already ensuing around him, but it wasn't his problem. Still, it seemed to amuse his dancing partner and his brow quirked as she added her own flare of flame to the spectacle.

"Delicate balances.." he repeated her words in a thoughtful rumble as he turned her.. His attention drifted toward Delun and his father, catching the gaze of both, and then to Seska who had made her way to Fraeya. He leaned in close to Isiell's ear, his stubbled cheeks dimpling with a grin of amusement. "Seems I may have tipped some of those.." he mused, jerking a chin toward his father who's eyes were settled firmly on the human with that familiar cruelty in his gaze. Lorcan's jaw tightened.

"With any luck, before this night is through, my father's parlour will burn down around him. But, I have never been that lucky." he commented dryly.

Despite Lorcan's slight drunkenness, for which Isiell could hardly blame the Prince as she'd spent many a ball at the Winter Court in a similar state just to survive them and their odious constraints, he still fluidly turned her on the dance floor. When he grinned at her wolfishly, fingers brushing over her waist through her oh-so-thin garment, she almost purred.

"Ah, yes, the Lady Aubretta," she murmured, but didn't say anything further on that subject. She was familiar with the... sensitivities that speaking of or with mothers could bring, and it was not a topic she wished to delve into further herself tonight.

"You look quite fine yourself this evening, my lord," Isiell said, letting him see her gaze as it trailed over his scruffy jawline and down his neck to his undone shirt and the muscled chest beneath it. "Very, very fine."

It had been a while since she'd come to a ball like this without some sort of obligation behind it, and while she wanted to make it more fun, she wasn't out to spite anyone purposefully this evening, unless an opportunity presented itself. A dalliance or two between the chaos would be most welcome, especially since her parents weren't there to try and force a match of any sort in a desperate attempt to keep her in line.

One such match, when they'd noticed her affection for Ariel, had been the line in the sand for her. When she'd overheard them discussing approaching his family for a match, thinking that she would resist her natural inclinations for his sake, she'd run. She wouldn't let them put Ariel in that spot, and the Dawn Court had welcomed her with open arms.

Her gaze and thoughts were drawn away, though briefly, by the slight panic her flames set into the cwn, and her grin turned just slightly vicious when she saw some of the hounds turn on the one who threw the glitter in the first place.

Isiell's attention was brought back to the Prince, though, when the feathery ends of his mask brushed against her ear.

"Delicate balances.." he repeated her words in a thoughtful rumble as he turned her.. His attention drifted toward Delun and his father, catching the gaze of both, and then to Seska who had made her way to Fraeya. He leaned in close to Isiell's ear, his stubbled cheeks dimpling with a grin of amusement. "Seems I may have tipped some of those.." he mused, jerking a chin toward his father who's eyes were settled firmly on the human with that familiar cruelty in his gaze. Lorcan's jaw tightened.

"With any luck, before this night is through, my father's parlour will burn down around him. But, I have never been that lucky." he commented dryly.

"Tipped, yes," she agreed, glancing over at the wolves beginning to circle Fraeya the next moment she was facing that direction. "But I bet we can upheave the balance entirely, and with it perhaps change your luck."

She watched the tensions between Fraeya, the strange fae with the blank mask, and Midir for a few moments, her eyes flickering to Delun as well.

"Your father just wants to spend some time with the one in the blank mask," Isiell mused. "Delun wants to leave. Ariel, bless his simple-minded focus, just wants get Fraeya's attention and spirit her away, and he's the only one I'm inclined to oblige here."

Isiell turned back to Lorcan with a smirk. "And you... you just want to piss off your father. What do you think we should do? Prevent Delun from leaving, somehow, though I'm not sure there's much amusement in it? Concoct some catastrophe to keep your father and his... friend apart for the night? Or... since we both have an affinity for flames, we could go have some fun and actually burn down something of his."

The presence of the shorter female certainly set her more on edge. A being more ancient and dangerous than the size of the diminutive female before them suggested. There was something about that voice too. Her tone. Like most fae here, they spoke as their age suggested. A tone that hinted at languages and accents long washed away. And Fraeya knew, just growing up among them, she'd developed some of the tones as well.

A strange accent.

Strange to most humans and those outside the turbulent storm that was the fae realm.

Fingers came up to shove some blonde wisps that had come loose from her braids beneath the curve of one of her ears. There was no point in trying to hide that distinguishing mark anymore. They all knew she was mortal and they'd always known. She found her lips wanting to tremble into a smile at the shorter female's words about cracking choice almonds. And for a moment, Fraeya felt as though she'd partially gained an ally. This shorter female agreed that Prince Lorcan was a fool. A fool with some healing and bruised almonds.

Fingertips of one hand never quite left the stem of the untouched glass on that round bartop table. She stared at it as the liquid inside trembled at the clink from Ariel. A liquid entrapped within its glass cage. So many cages within cages.

The problem is, when you can have any partner you want, you don't need to care much for their comfort, do you?"

"What do you think?" She asked suddenly, pale-green gaze flickering up to his eyes. Would he care for the comfort of his dance partner? Her attention was torn, ears straining to hear what Delun was saying before she felt the attention of one she never wished to have. The tip of her nose picked up on that smell of rotting leaves.

Oh hells.

Lime-green eyes dropped to Seska after a worried flash to Delun. "If you hold the Erlkin's fancy I would ask that you indulge a mortal's request and act upon it." It was a hurried whisper as her mouth dried up with the king's approach. Without thinking too much on her actions, she found herself taking a half-step closer to Ariel. Fraeya truly hoped the smaller fae would do something so surprising that she would distract the king enough to change his current line of focus.

Hell, she'd make the female a year's supply of honey-cakes if she pinched the king's ass or something.

A low, throaty laugh was the only immediate response that she gave to Ariel. Caution for the aged? Maybe for those that had a few years on them. A few years. But her? She had long since lost any notion or inclination towards caution. Death was one of the few realms that remained unexplored to her, as she could not leave Arethil despite her best efforts.

"That would depend on what you meant by her enjoying herself," she said cooly, but did not elaborate further.

Instead, she had seized upon the girls words. They spun in her mind like chips of diamond, all sparkly and beautiful. Well, then, she thought. Irritation flashed away in a puff of smoke, and in its place was something that might very well have been more terrifying in its own right: contemplation.

She had so seldom dealt with mortals in the last several thousand years. Not enough changed in the world to make it new or unique enough to attract her attention, and so she had simply wandered, staying at the edges of the Courts, staying at the edges of mortal society. She was, however, not ignorant of the goings-on within the courts. Especially within the Winter court, there would come a time when having a few coins to wager would be useful.

Just the barest curve of a smile graced her unseen lips. "Well, then," she said to Fraeya. "We shall speak later of...compensation." The smile that Fraeya could not see, but likely feel despite that, was victorious. "I will leave you with your knight. For now."

And like that, she was gliding away, a whisper in a sea of fae, silver hair hardly moving with each footstep. It should not be too difficult to turn the Erlking away from the mortal for the evening. After all, she had neither said what she would do nor how long she would do it for. The intention within Fraeya's voice was all the more she needed; it was as good as a pact in her mind.

All she need do was distract Midir for a moment. That shouldn't be too difficult. After all...whatever he might have decided to do, she was certain that she herself could accomplish just as well.

Eyes like gems lighted on the dark and foreboding figure of the Erlking, and she smoothly came up alongside him before he had gone very far from Delun. "What a fascinating young lady," she murmured as she matched his longer stride with her own shorter ones. "You would think living among our kind would have taught her to be much more guarded with what she says...but..."

But she had not, and now she had a string tied to her.

Glitterdust dropped from the air. Shiny colors flashing in the light. Art that reflected the momentary beauty of life itself....

And it was on fire now.

Wilton didn't set it on fire. He never set things on fire. Living in a tree made fire even deadlier than it already was. So he would never do something like set his glitterdust alight. But it was and it fell onto the doggies.

The flames stirred up anxiety in him. Them falling on the dogs made two of his fear collide. So he began to panic. He began to panic hard.

A high pitched scream like that of a little girl escaped from Wilton's lips. Lady Stewpot went from her grumpy nibbling of his bark mask to bracing herself and sticking out her quills in confusion. The male pranced in place in a complete panic as she got more and more frustrated trying to hang onto him.

He ended up dropping to the floor huddled over with his arms over his head. Fearful mumbling began to prattle out of him like a rushing stream. The porcupine on top of him was all quills in every direction. The hounds that had decided to turn their attention to the freaking out man after the flaming dust fell on top of them would find their faces full of quills.

This little scene would only go on for a moment however before an explosion of glitterdust would erupt from the floor around the young man. It was infused with raw magical energy meant to transmute anything it touched. These transformations would follow only one simple wish: become stone.

Where the panicking man and irate porcupine once were now was a stone statue of them.

Diyue Rhianni Vaer Nhimei Fraeya Favashi Isiell Midir Seska the Dragonslayer Lorcan Delun Ariel

• Sip
Reactions: Diyue Rhianni
Amaryllis had fallen asleep in the gardens again. Her journey to the autumn court was filled with little distractions and the princess of summer gleefully watched as lesser fae danced, twirled and twinkled all towards the same location: where the ball was happening. Every once in a while Amaryllis had stopped to watch and dance in the twilight herself and as fate demanded, the regal beauty had lingered a few moments longer than anticipated – just enough for a nap.

Eventually and in due time even the drowsiest of the high fae made it to the ball.

Princess Amaryllis swept into the halls of autumn oozing the warmth of her court; the mild scent of gardenia clung to her skin and gold speckled dust erupted from wherever she set foot. Amaryllis wore a beautiful golden gown, sprinkled with diamond dust, glitter and only the finest of gemstones. The soft shades of her garment flattered her peach-toned skin and underneath the sun-gilded mask a pair of pearl-coloured eyes began to search the room.

Lustrous brown curls fell loosely around her slender frame, cascading down the length of her entire back. Amaryllis wasn’t particularly tall for a fae, but the aura of royalty and grace surrounding her demanded attention even to such a delicate figure. Some time in between her entrance and a moment later, the fae princess’ lips formed a smile. Soft-spoken and amicable by nature, Amaryllis enjoyed good company and festivities – even when lesser beings were invited.

Being the only member of her court present thus far, the sleepyhead was left with no choice but to mingle with the mass. Not a simple task for the tender-hearted damsel, but Amaryllis always faced her fears with unwavering courage.

For once, Favashi's face grew serious. It was something she was known to do once every... oh... century or so.

"Stay away from her, Vaer."

As if to punctuate her words the Erlking himself began to stride across the room towards her like a hungry wolf who had not eaten a meal in weeks. As the Fae of War watched him it was with the wariness of a warrior who sensed someone as strong, if not stronger than them. She was hungry to see how he would fare against her blade yet this was not the time nor the place. When that dance happened she wanted to saviour it amongst the bones of both their fallen.

She swirled the golden liquor in her goblet absentmindedly and for a moment it probably seemed as though she had forgotten the serious conversation she was having. But then she turned to her friend and fixed him with a hard look

"She is at the centre of every war I can see approaching. To stand by her side is to court death and even I won't be able to protect you on those fields."

His request had not been denied, but did come with stipulations. Of which he wasn't about to argue semantics for. Eyes danced around the room in all directions, some watching the chaos of the summer courtier. Some watching the Erlking.

Others looking to stir trouble.

It was beginning to give him a headache as Midir stepped away. He wanted to give Fraeya some warning, but the time for that had come and gone like the wind through sails. All he could do for the time being was bide his time and attempt to stem the impending headache this was creating.

The interest of the evening for the Erlking returned, and Delun was soon trailing behind them. His eyes fell sharply upon Fraeya, a look that demanded her attention and best behavior for the moment. And somehow held a weight of guilt or regret in tandem.

He hadn't planned for the evening to be so exciting for his assistant. And he felt a pang of guilt for what was likely yet to come.

He'd have to figure out some small gesture of apology. Give her time off to do something for herself or let her peruse the collection of books maybe. Something.

Vulpesen's eyes roamed the ballroom as he entered, the bright golden orbs sending their glow out from beneath a simple black fox mask. His very presence in this place seemed to tear him apart. On one hand, he felt at home in courts and ballrooms, though maybe not particularly comfortable with such formal occasions. On the other, being a mortal warlock in the realm of the fey left the normally capable zorren feeling a tad bit outgunned.

In the Ixchel Wilds, Vulpesen was rather close to his home, Veradune being one of the few mortal bastions in the dangers of nature. His sense of homeliness was further enhanced by his current shape. With his black tail flicking in free view from beneath his cloak and his claw like nails showing from the edges of the garment, Vulpesen had allowed himself to forsake any glamour and focus more on surviving immortal politics.

[Tell me again why I'm here. I had enough trouble navigating the Howlaw,] Vulpesen internally called out to his patron. Capturing slavers and fighting for just causes was something he was used to. Now in an unfamiliar environment, he headed for a wall to guard his back while he took in his surroundings.

[And as such, you have spent more time in my brother's realm than I prefer to do myself. You are my champion, as such, I reserve the right to send you to represent me in these dull affairs,]
came the fae lord's whispered voice in his mind.

[And Rerreno? Where is he?]

[I have no idea. He might be there. But you are my representative.]

[And Wulren?]

[Last I checked we weren't trying to burn the Autumn court down,]
Varos noted dryly.

It was not often something distracted a wolf from its prey.

"Oh really?" The Erlking purred and his steps slowed to match that of the diamond of the celebration appeared at his side once more. She eradicated that fleeting interest in a mortal who would be dead in a mere wink of the eye of an immortal. The lethal edge seemed to leave his body and the rippling energy of pure power that radiated from the High Lord disappeared, contained. The musicians who had gone quiet in the chaos slowly struck up their chords again and a small smile curled his lips. In a flourish he cut in front of Seska with smooth grace. One hand slipped about her waist whilst the other took up one of her small hands in his. The band leapt into the song with full vigour now.

"So is she the answer to the question I asked you dear Seska? Or have you met far more interesting mortals than a inky-fingered book-keeper?" he chuckled and on que twirled her elegantly across the floor.

Freaya, it seemed, was completely forgotten.

The mortal’s question was not expected. “I take great care for my dance partner, would you care to see for yourself?” He followed her gaze to the Erlking and felt a similar sour feeling.

He doubted very much he’d be taken up on his offer, but maybe Fraeya’s fear would move her to secret corners.

Delun’s attention put that dream to rest quite quickly. “Come,” he said, stepping in between the girl and her master, “I will teach you a step I learned in Taagi Baara.” He offered his hand and leaned down so that his delicate features may be closer to hers. He would not compel her to obey, but he did believe her evening would be nicer if she had some distractions.

The sound of his mother’s name caused a brief flinch of disdain to disrupt his nonchalance as he cast his gaze around the room, but the Lady’s compliments brought his gaze back upon her and he rumbled a quiet laugh as she let her eyes wander over him. “A woman of fine taste.” he winked and pressed against her dip her with the music, fingertips curling against her lower back as he did so.

He continued to move with her, listening thoughtfully as she made her suggestions and letting his hands slide to her hips, pulling her a little closer again. His attention drifted to each of the characters in each of their little dramas as they were mentioned, his lips twisting at the thought of ruining his father’s night, his reputation.. his fucking life. Lorcan knew that he wasn’t strong enough to beat the man outright, he’d tried, and tried, and each time his beating was worse than the last.

“My father is a prick.” He said bluntly, not bothering to lower his tone about it, nor did he acknowledge the eyes that were cast his way at the comment. “Though perhaps Delun is right, less I risk being thrown out of my home or worse. But you, little Fury. Not much he can do save start a war with your court now is there?” His brow rose with a distant consideration in his tone, followed by a sneer as he watched his father’s attention switch back to Seska. “Shame.” he muttered.

His focus shifted toward that high pitched scream, but his gaze settled on a pretty face he had not seen in some time, the Princess Amaryllis. He offered a dip of his chin and a smile toward his friend as he danced, and a sigh tumbled from his lips as he looked back to Isiell, his hand rising to capture her chin betwixt thumb and forefinger. “I am in need of bad influence.” his lips twitched at her, glancing toward the private booth Delun had since left vacant. “Join me for a drink?.."

Pale green eyes locked on Delun's gaze. She'd known her lord long enough to read all those emotions there. There was a tinge of sorrowness in her own, an edge of pleading, and a shift of humbled obedience. But as the shorter woman performed the impossible and the Erlking veered away.

A lightening at the tension along her shoulders as she felt the invisible noose around her neck loosen. Now was her time. Now was...Ariel's beautiful face blocked her from Delun. His eyes as mirthful as the first snow of the season. Did they know how gorgeous they all were?

And even though she hated to dance, a part of her wanted to take his hand. Wanted to dash all the caution she'd been taught away. Wished she could forget she was different and so godsdamned vulnerable around them.

"For you I might suspend my distaste of dance for one step lasting no more than the morning song of a wren but not at this party." A hand dipped in her pocket, pulling out an acorn.

Rule 6 and 7: give gifts first and carry something worth giving.

Even though Fraeya hated dancing, she loved music. She loved singing. Making music. And with a bit of fae magic and gifts from Delun, she'd been able to record some of her own snippets within the magical acorns. Some melodies so haunting, she'd caught tears along the faces of the most stern and stoic fae. Some tunes so bright and full of life they brought smiles and lingering glimpses of joy to the fae who wished for children but were unable to have any.

Fraeya pressed the acorn into his hand. "A gift." With a surprising amount of grace for a human, she'd go to step around Ariel, looking to Delun. "I believe my Lord needs me to go tend to the gardens of our estate." And like he'd just done with the Erlking, her statement was more of a question for permission to leave.

She was, at absolute best, abysmal at dancing.

That said, she took the shift from walking to the slow dance in stride, not much concerned with her stepping on his feet. Her legs, for one, were not long enough to allow it. He would guide her away from crashing into anyone else, which was just as well. Among the many reasons she did not frequent the Courts and their galas and fetes was this, not out of dislike of the dancing but out of dislike for being bad at it.

"A thing young people do not understand," she said in response to his first query. The menacing strength of her magic muted itself, and then slipped away entirely. She had no need of it, for now, and as they moved, her eyes lit on Fraeya once more. Light eyes, inscrutable and unreadable. How will I use this coin? It mattered little. The girl probably thought that it was a request taken up out of the goodness of her heart, but seldom would she do something risky without some kind of payment. Simply asking had been enough.

Her eyes left the girl. Let her enjoy herself while she could; the Dragonslayer could find her when she needed her.

"No," she said emphatically. "At worst she would have condemned herself to some unpleasantness." She placed a slim hand on his hip, an awkward thing given the difference in height. "Once, long...long ago, there was a human child that bore a grudge against the King of Mo'pri," she said.

She related the tale, in as much as she could remember it. A simple noblewoman, raised in a small town and tending to a small domain, raising her fist to the heavens. And somehow....somehow, she managed to bring the mighty to heel in a single night, calling upon sorcery that would likely stagger Midir and any other of this realm to witness.

"I served the King, at the time. It was inconceivable that one could have done what she did, and yet...and yet, sometimes there are lessons to be learned." Never underestimate mortals, the tale seemed to warn. A crown means nothing to one willing to sacrifice all to steal it, or to shatter it. Realizing who she was talking to, and of the topic, she laughed suddenly. "Such brazen boldness seems to be uncommon among us, but common among them. Not that it saved her, in the long run. Didn't matter, though; she had achieved through her own sacrifice what none could have dreamed."

She did not understand the idea of self-sacrifice, at least, not to that degree. It seemed such a short-sighted idea, a thing that only promised the make a temporary change beyond which you would no longer have the ability to fix any consequences that came thereof.

"I rather imagine your son will get round to teaching that one a lesson, though. Eventually."

Isiell's smile was one of devious satisfaction as Lorcan dipped her back in time with the music. The hem of her dress--already scandalously short compared to what the fae usually preferred to wear--slipped up to barely conceal the tops of her thighs at the movement.

When he brought her back up, his hands settling on her hips with a pleasant warmth. She brought one of her own hands to rest on his shoulder again, and the other slipped beneath his short collar, fingers slowly trailing downward over his bare skin.

“My father is a prick.” He said bluntly, not bothering to lower his tone about it, nor did he acknowledge the eyes that were cast his way at the comment. “Though perhaps Delun is right, less I risk being thrown out of my home or worse. But you, little Fury. Not much he can do save start a war with your court now is there?”

She caught sight of the strange fae with the porcupine as the cwn leapt away from him, their muzzles filled with quills now, and she daintily lifted a brow as the ridiculous creature turned himself to stone. That was certainly an... interesting reaction, and she couldn't help but be pleased at the strange chaotic turn of her whim to set the glitterdust on fire.

"Being thrown out of your home is not so bad," Isiell shrugged, and one of the thin straps of her barely-existent gown slipped off her shoulder. She didn't bother to slide it back in place. "However, Favashi would certainly relish a war."

Isiell saw Lorcan's gaze shift, and looked the same direction. She'd seen the Princess Amaryllis from a distance before, but had never met her. Unlike Lorcan, Isiell simply watched, and made no attempt at a greeting, though her gaze wasn't rude. Just curious.

a sigh tumbled from his lips as he looked back to Isiell, his hand rising to capture her chin betwixt thumb and forefinger. “I am in need of bad influence.” his lips twitched at her, glancing toward the private booth Delun had since left vacant. “Join me for a drink?.."

"Just a drink?" Isiell answered with a sly grin, sliding her hand slowly down Lorcan's chest a little more before grasping his wrist and tugging him toward the booth. "If I'm to be a bad influence, it needs to be a lot more than a drink."

A... a what? Ariel felt the small piece placed into his hand and saw Fraeya glide around him. She had moved with such ease that he stood unmoved, staring at the wall beyond the spot she had just occupied, and clutching at a small... gift.

He brought it to his eye and opened his palm. There it lay. Such a delicate thing. With a quirk of an eyebrow he looked round at the retreating human. Few had refused him, but he hadn’t exactly been trying his hardest. That was what he told himself, to preserve his pride. Intentionally or not, Fraeya had certainly made herself more interesting.

He caught sight of Isiell and Lorcan beyond the small woman. His dear friend’s gown was all but already removed. Well... good for her. She could do worse than the prince of this evening, he supposed.

He slipped the acorn into a pocket and made a note to inspect it later. This was hardly the place to explore something so intimate.

Although it looked like that was exactly what some others were trying to do.

"Stay away from her, Vaer."

Fair and succinct advice. As a High Lord, he was not unfamiliar with cutting his losses and knowing a bad venture when he saw it. That didn’t make it any easier when that was a person, not a business deal. Too many fae thought of mortals as commodities to be bought and sold, cast off like waste when they were done with them. Vaer disagreed with that school of thought.

With the rumors circulating around him, it probably wasn’t wise.

"She is at the centre of every war I can see approaching. To stand by her side is to court death and even I won't be able to protect you on those fields."

As she spoke, he ventured one final glance in his friend’s direction. She was being spoken to by the mysterious sidhe who had previously been speaking to Midir, who was currently engaged with Delun, while Lorcan and Favashi’s friend, Isiell, drifted off toward what had previously been the cwn’s corner.

On the other side of the room, a different cwn was turning away from her conversation with a smile to round on the trio causing mayhem. She barked a few words -- quite literally -- and they all three went stiff. The two harassing the dryad tucked their tails and scampered away, and the one nipping at the (now stone) stranger looked back at the cwn woman. She chastised him sharply and booted him with her foot to make him follow the other two out of the festivities. Without much more fanfare, she gave a final scowl at the stone man before turning back to her previous conversation.

Depending on which Court one belonged to, this night was going wonderfully. The excitement was all dispersing, at least. He finally found a passing tray of drinks, plucked up a shot of something powerful, and returned the emptied glass before the servant finished going by. The song was coming to an end and it was time he started doing some of the social posturing he had come here for.

“Then let us avoid that avenue in favor of something far more pleasant,” he said, setting down his plate. Fraeya had enough saviors in her corner; he need not involve himself, but he could keep a watchful eye out for any more trouble. What he could involve himself instead was a healthy distraction and the company of a good friend.

“May I have this dance, my lady?”
He offered her his hand to Favashi with a smile that peeked out from behind the mask of mirrors.

Dearest Spring,
Why do you yield to Winter?
Did not your cheery bell ring?
All I see is land a dreary hinter.
Bring back renewing life!
Stop this senseless strife!

As a member of the Spring Court, Quacey felt rather ashamed as he arrived late to this Winter held ball. He knew not why that overly proud Oberon would ask another court to host the Spring Equinox Ball. It made no sense to give them that power and show such weakness. While shepherd of the lost might not be the most involved politically in the matters of his court, he would rather another of their court have taken the responsibility on even if it could not be on the same level of grandeur as what the Winter Court was providing.

It had bothered him so much he had found himself writing a poem in his journal about it. A journal he had to put away when arriving at entrance. Helping a pixie that had gotten lost had delayed his arrival, and no doubt he would be hearing no end about it from some trouble maker.

Getting into the ball was simple. Quacey was invited and from the Spring Court. The not so simple part was deciding who he should approach first. There was a sever lack of Spring Court members in attendance and he was not one for politics. Shame every move he made and word he spoke would be entirely part of the grand political game of the courts.

He spotted many important people, Midir specifically. But his course was set upon noticing someone else. Someone from a court he did not feel rather irritated at right now. Amaryllis was in attendance. The Princess of the Summer Court. And she did not have anyone keeping her company? He could not allow such a transgression to continue. Even if he was not of her court his mother had been and he had no doubt she would wish him to pay his respects.

It also helped that approaching the Summer Court before the Winter Court as a member of the Spring Court would no doubt send a message to the rather distracted Erlking.

Quacey made his way over and as he came to approach Amaryllis he bowed before and extended forth one of his hands palm up. "Greetings Lady Amaryllis. I am Quacey of the Spring Court. I hope the Spring Equinox finds you in good spirits this year. If not I hope there is something I can do to change that."