Fable - Ask A nightmare dressed like a daydream

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first
And for a moment, Fraeya caught a glimpse of Lorcan's retreating form with another. Pale green eyes narrowed at him. As scared as she was, she was nearly as angry. This was all his fault. If he had just listened to her and not dragged her into the limelight with his drunken-ass self.

And the whole time she didn't doubt he knew what he was doing. And perhaps that made him worse than his father. He'd been jealous that she was a mortal and still breathing in this court. And as she spun away from the Erlking, she considered her chances at being able to just slip away.

They were slim to none.

"No," she said in a breathy-exhale as she found herself facing him again. Back in his arms. The same word she'd said to his son. A word she wondered if anyone had ever dared utter to the Erlking. And if anyone had, if they were still breathing. A quick dip of her head to mean she showed no disrespect.

Be polite.

"My name for none of those things. My name for a favor in the future. Do we have a bargain?"

She didn't know if he knew. But one had already known. Disguise or no, the bargain would extend to her human self. Those around them were already breaking off. Going to the next partners down the line.

Behind the mask both eyebrows rose: what a bold little flower Delun had grown in that study of his. Here he had thought her a wilting wallflower but now she revealed herself as a rose with thorns. He licked his lips before laughing - it wasn't a pleasant sound.

"A name of a humble servant is not worth a favour from me," the music was lulling as the people switched partners but they moved seamlessly past the two, putting them at the eye of the hurricane. He drew them both to a complete stop and curled a stray lock of her hair about his finger idly like a cat playing with a mouse. The Erlking was used to people squirming in his presence but it hadn't delighted him quite like this for some time. Gently he tucked the strand behind her 'pointed' ear then ran his fingers down her angular jaw to her chin which he gripped with a firmness on the edge of bruising.

"A favour, Fraeya darling, in return for a night together. That is my bargain."

Her throat bobbed slightly as she swallowed, his fingers entwining in her sunshine-colored hair. The other dancers moving around them. And then her name.

Her name.

She'd been betting that he hadn't known. That if he knew about her at all, he only knew her as the human servant or worker Delun kept. Because why would someone like him bother to know her name?

She managed to keep her gaze cold and calculating even as her heartbeat quickened, pounding against her ribs. His grip so similar to his son's. She had to fight down an instinct to do exactly what she'd done to Lorcan when his proprietary grip had been on her. Fingers balled into fists at her sides. Delun had told her exactly what the king had said to him.

"Is this your way of apologizing for your son's behavior?" She asked quietly, uttering the own king's words back to him.

A chuckle rumbled in his chest and the Erlking took another step closer to the mortal in his grip. Not even a breath of air would be able to pass between their bodies stood like this and he forced her chin upwards to keep her gaze entirely on the merciless eyes behind his mask.

"Letting you get away with this excuse of a dance was my apology for my son's behaviour," despite the mirth he had just displayed at her little outburst there was a dangerous kernel of anger in his words. People did not live long when they tried to trick him. The fact he hadn't snapped her neck for such stupidity, in his mind, was far beyond the payment necessary for his sons fumbled pawing at a girl. He idly tilted her head side to side as though inspecting a horse.

"You were the first to try and broker a bargain with me, Fraeya darling. I merely told you the price for your... favour."

She hated feeling his weight pressing against every part of her front. Her neck stiffened and her teeth clenched as he tilted her chin. She hated him and she hated his son. Her blood roiled in her veins. And to her credit she didn't flinch. Didn't look away. Didn't try to look down. In the face of a predator it was key to maintain eye-contact.

Monster. Prick. prickprickPRICK.

"A favor of my choosing for one night with you where no harm will come to me or to any of those I love?"

Was Delun still watching? Or had he left now that he was free to do so?

His thumb drew over her lower lip but the tight lipped smile he gave her held no warmth.

"A favour of your choosing, as long as it does not bring harm to myself nor my court, in return for one night with me where no harm will come to you or those you offer your protection to for that night," the little mortal had clearly learnt to choose her words carefully when making a deal with a fae. Wise. It almost made up for the stupidity she had displayed in trying to dupe him into a dance with her without his knowledge.

The music had fully come to a stop now with couples drifting off to get refreshments.

"Do we have a deal, Fraeya, humble servant of my court?"

Fingers curled into tighter fists at her sides as that finger of his dragged over her lip. Luckily, the mask she wore hid most of the scowl that flickered across her face. She imagined there was a good chance if she walked away from this bargain, he would order it to happen anyway. But without her favor.

And if she thought dancing with the prince brought unwanted attention, this....this she could feel the stares of the others in the room. The whispers wondering who the fae was with King Midir. And those who were like Midir and Nairth, who could see exactly who she was.

She missed the sounds of the music. She missed the life that ended as soon as she set foot at this ball. Delun had apologized but how could he have been so...careless?

"Yes," lips moved against that finger. "We have a deal." Teeth ground and she considered biting that digit of his off. There was a sharp tang of magic that burned her nose as her words sealed the bargain. The small star-shape hidden by her blonde hair heated against her skin.

Midir's grin was nothing short of feral at her acquiesce.

He trailed his thumb down her chin and the soft curve of her throat. The rate with which her pulsed raced only made him want to stretch out the moment longer. Her fear was almost an edible thing that hung in the air tinged with the sweet tang of her rage. With reluctance he continued until his thumb stopped in the hollow between her collarbones and he finally released some of the magic that constantly pushed at his skin.

The tattoo spread from his touch out to encircle her neck like a collar. Despite the possessive nature of the placement the ink itself was nothing short of breath-taking. At its centre just beneath his thumb appeared a full gleaming moon and from there black swirls swept out left and right conjuring stars and perfect constellations. Two more moons appeared at the other ends of her collarbone representing both the waxing and waning crescents before the swirling ebony sky ink continued round the back of her neck to complete the choker.

Midir leant down, brushing his lips against her cheek before whispering in her ear.

"Until then, Fraeya darling."

Abruptly the Erlking released her and turned as though he had already forgotten who or what she was and strode off back into the crowd.

Amaryllis’ shoulders eased when Lórcan raised his wards; the voices of the party guests were drowned out and she sucked in a deep breath of fresh air, strangely aware of how quickly her surroundings had turned from busy to peaceful. Unlike Lórcan the princess enjoyed the festivities and Amaryllis knew, perhaps more than anyone, how to fit into the setting. Still, her visits to the autumn court hadn’t been as frequent as they used to be and while there was nothing particularly wrong with its people, the delicate brunette always felt her light dimmed in the Erlking’s presence.

Amaryllis took her own old age into consideration when deciding to trust her gut and be more wary amidst the Unseelie, a decision the fae princess surely wouldn’t come to regret. Lórcan, of course, was nothing like them. Nothing like Midir. He wasn’t a bad person, he only made bad choices – but he was never beyond redemption.

“I know you had no choice but to attend,” she said with a smile and undid her mask, placing it atop of the balcony railing. “That’s why I came here today.” If there had been a hint of pity in her eyes earlier, it was all gone now. Amaryllis smoothly slid into the hug, heaving a sigh as he squeezed her. Her cheek rested against his chest and the princess closed her eyes for a moment, recalling times during which he’d been happier.

“Because I missed you too.”

At the summer court, Amaryllis enjoyed the many privileges of being a princess and an overall likable person, adored by her servants, the royal guard and even the common folk. The Queen herself always had a soft spot for her younger sibling and in spite of their clear differences, the two sisters had always been close. Lórcan’s situation, unfortunately, was much different from hers and even at a young age the prince had suffered through unimaginable things.

Because Midir was cruel, he was his heir and autumn was nothing like summer.

“You will always have a home in my court and you are welcome to visit as often as you like,” she reminded him, knowing that it wouldn’t fix his familiar problems. “If you’re willing to have a dance later, I might even stay awhile.” She took another peek at the party and it seemed that the guests had thoroughly been enjoying themselves. She wondered where Faolan was, but knew that he’d be back at her side the moment she left Lórcan’s.

“It’s a pity really,” she said with a sigh. “She is very pretty, but she reeks of chaos and I don’t think you need any more of that in your life.” Referring to Isiell, she rubbed his back in a comforting manner. “Your father seems to be having a grand time.” Amaryllis suppressed the urge to cackle at the thought of Midir mingling with the lesser folk. Perhaps it was something he and his son had in common: a strange fascination with uncultured beings.

As intrigued as Isiell was by this Duannan and his past, she also was keeping an eye on the rest of the ballroom. Lorcan had, at least, emerged from his rooms, tidied up quite nicely, though she'd enjoyed the sight of him scuttling out of the room half-naked. Lorcan was a swirling ball of chaotic energy, but as he greeted the Twilight Princess as an old friend, the chaos in him quieted in a way Isiell could have never accomplished.

She turned her attention back to Nairth, though her eyes tracked the movement of Midir, now.

Ah, one can be as old as time itself and still be a child if they are still weak and immature of mind." Despite how it may have sounded, Nairth did not say the words as an insult. "The dear Prince is of age, but I fear he is ill-prepared to lead. He has not yet found himself."

Her eyes shadowed a little at that statement. She'd found a bit of kinship with Lorcan. "It's not that he hasn't found himself," she found herself murmuring. "It's that he's been forbidden from being true to himself, and that is a hardship I know well."

The corner of her mouth twisted up, with a hint of malevolent chaos, as her words sunk into Nairth, and she brought her full attention back to him.

He gave no outward sign of how her words had affected him, but she could feel the flow of chaos suddenly pulse and become vibrant around him.

"Miss Isiell..." His speech was even, unaffected. He seemed no worse for wear to the eye. She would know though, now she was one he would remember. "It's so flattering that such a lovely creature as you would know a humble servant of the Spring."

"Is one humble if they declare themselves so?" she gave a throaty laugh, and her grin widened as he continued.

Even as she'd struck him though, he gazed at her with the most affectionate and grateful of smiles."If you're hoping I shall lose myself once more though, I'm afraid you'd be better off trying to drive me mad yourself..."

Oh, he would be fun. "I can oblige that," she answered. "But perhaps we should start with a dance first. Things are... looking interesting out there."

She had a feeling, from the strings of chaos tying themselves in knots around the Autumn King and his current dance partner, that the poor little human was about to jump from the frying pan into the fire.

Nairth San'Seya

The paltry magic that had gone into her disguise completely erased as the bargain was sealed between them. No match for the Erlking’s magic. There were a few wicked smiles and murmured whispers as she was left standing, shocked, numb, and alone in the middle of the dance floor.

Midir’s hands still felt like they were at her throat.

One hand raised, fingers slightly trembling as they brushed across the new markings. Taking a bitter breath, she finally willed herself to move. For better or worse, the fae around her gave her a wide berth. She was marked by Midir now. Seen as one of his belongings. And they did not want his wrath brought down upon them.

She just had to make it out. Out of that room. Past the flaming punch bowl. Out the doors. Across the grass. To that hedge.

Out. Out. Out.

Her human heart and emotions were about to betray her and she didn’t have much longer to get away. Never let them see you cry. Never let them see your anger. And then she began running, ripping off her mask and letting it fall to the grassy ground as soon as she met the safety of the hedge.

Vaer couldn't help smiling when she smiled. He had briefly entertained the idea of pursuing her. Once, and for all of a few seconds before reason kicked in. Their differences made them fast and good friends, but those same differences would not be easy in a relationship. He had set aside foolish pursuits and had thoroughly enjoyed their odd friendship.

And the same way he knew when to give and when to withhold with her, she knew just how to catch his curiosity. A dragon serving outside of the fae courts was an odd thing indeed. Ancient dragons rarely served anyone, and yet one had chosen to bend the knee to mortal rule? Regardless of the dragon’s reasoning, good information was valuable currency in the fae Courts.

"A very peculiar secret," he replied, his voice a dark timbre of amusement. "But my exploits were not worthy of such information, so perhaps I owe you something better. But you have to promise not to laugh," he added as he twirled her out once again. "You know I cannot stand to be laughed at."

His smile told her plainly enough that he was already expecting her laughter. The shuck twirled drew her back in against his muscular form. He whispered close to her ear over her shoulder while his hand against her back held him close.

"Hallori informed me that I will soon be wed."

Favashi was among a handful of people at this party who knew more about his sister than popular gossip. It was common knowledge that Hallori Nhimei, one of the few female black shucks, was both clairvoyant and an invalid. The details beyond that were speculation only. Very private people, the Nhimeis protected Hallori's privacy viciously and shielded her from politics and intrigue. While Favashi had never had an opportunity to meet his sister, he spoke of her occasionally.

"Of course she will offer no further details and will not listen to any argument on the matter," he continued, giving the Fury time to laugh all she needed. "And she has my mother caught up in it as well. They began making dresses for a woman that does not exist last week." It was difficult to get married when one had no partner to wed. The notorious bachelor seemed to bristle, his hackles rising.

They might as well have been on their own in the ballroom for the Fury couldn't care any less about the other dancers that swished past them in their horrendous masks and garish costumes. Vaer was the main reason she came to these events and when he was not in attendance they were a dreadful bore. Chaos and war were things she could create in abundance anywhere, but there was only one fae she had found so far in all her years of existence who was her perfect counter-weight. He created an internal war she would never grow tired of battling.

It was why she had given a greater secret; to win.

To make him forfeit a greater secret.

Favashi shot him the perfect mask of incredulousness when he implied she might laugh and crossed her fingers over her chest in the odd mortal gesture of a promise she found so amusing. However, it was not amusement of any kind she felt when he divulged the secret he was to be wed. She whirled around in his arms, her eyes searching his for the lie. Marriage was a chain. The Dawn Court barely participated in it unless two fae were fortunate - or unfortunate enough - to find their mates. It was order and rigidity and... Well everything she despised.

"Dresses burn delightfully well," her fingers twined through a lock of his hair. "As do silly women who wear them."

• Popcorn
Reactions: Isiell
The hardening of Isiell's gaze upon his assessment of Lorcan wasn't lost on Nairth. Perhaps he'd overestimated the woman's callousness to an unreasonable degree? She was manipulative and chaotic to be sure, but as the tall figure shifted to follow the Prince, he conceded that perhaps she was every bit as vulnerable to emotion as any other was. As he was. "Yes..." The word slid from his tongue as he shifted his gaze back to the pearly flesh of the Once-Nightmare with an altered perspective. "The structure we live by can make leading one's own desired life quite a challenge, although some find conforming much more daunting a task than others..."

He did not hold her barbs of trauma long past against her. As powerful as his energy had throbbed with her words, so too did his smile grow. He had lost control of himself once in all of his years. The result had been genocidal in nature and had left him with nothing. The cheerful Fae who championed love and life had broken himself. He spent years, generations in seclusion finding the strength to piece himself back together after that travesty.

Now? He was different.

He knew the trials of love, the dangers that emotion could bring if one lacked caution. Life and love were still the virtues he extolled, but only when handled with serenity and a calm mind could they be harnessed to their full potential. He tilted his head, offering an expression of apology to Isiell, having certainly not meant to offend her in any way. Indeed, even as a hand raised to idly twirl silvery lock around his finger, his words were spoken with thought to assure her of his understanding "I would argue everybody has their demons, no matter how pristine they appear to be, or how humble they act. Do not think differently of me for my mistakes, for they have shaped me into a more balanced being."

Her offer to dance was a deal more welcome, even if he felt her gaze passing through him, looking instead towards Fraeya and The King. He hummed and bowed his head once more. "I wish to observe them as well." He stated vaguely as he extended a hand to take her own, wrapping his fingers around her hand before gesturing her onto the dance floor proper.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tharu observed his Master's choice of partner with visible disdain from his spot upon the table beside Vulpesen. He didn't like or trust Isiell one bit, but then Nairth had told his servant he'd felt the same. So why did he now seem interested in her company? It caused the minuscule elven creature's brow to furrow.

"Oh yes, you did mention that you were a new warlock. Ah, your post is likely to have many more intriguing aspects to it than mine. I'm no warlock, merely an attendant." He almost seemed bitter in his admission, although it was entirely possible that was merely due to his diminutive size. He was barred from speaking the truth of his relationship with Nairth.

It didn't mean he didn't think about it though, his reasons for personally caring for the duanann.

Vulpesen seemed glad that he didn't anger Nairth more than anything else, but Tharu scoffed at the notion, taking another long swig from his tiny flask and trodding over to pat the man's arm with a small hand. "He can be intimidating, but he wouldn't have hurt you. He has a policy against violence, one way he values life so highly." Even so, Nairth had been looking at the man with an awfully sharp eye. He wondered... no, it was more likely he'd merely taken a liking to the fellow.

Isiell
Vulpesen

• Cry
Reactions: Fraeya
"In some ways, its a means to an end. But I suppose I've already had my fair share of intrigue with more to come," Vulpesen offered. In truth, it was sometimes hard to tell whether his status as a warlock was an upgrade or a downsize in his status in life. Gone were the days of silk sheets and great wealth. But with bedrolls and camp meals came power beyond what he had ever dreamed of owning.

Scanning the room for a moment, Vulpesen walked away from Tharu towards a nearby drink table, though his ears flicked back, showing his continued attention to the familiar's words. After plucking up a glass for himself, he would walk back to respond to Tharu's informative suggestion. "I suppose that makes us a bit alike. Both my patron and my people tend to despite the loss of life, though I admit that violence is a bit of a Zorren's specialty." It was perhaps the greatest oxymoron of his people, to champion life while being so good at the art of bringing death. Those who fought against the alliance often remarked how the true terror came from their constant default of holding back.

"Still, its nice to know I was never in real danger. I feel like there's quite a few in this little get together that are a bit more liberal in their employment of violent or otherwise harmful means of getting what they want." Even before his contract, Vulpesen had heard enough tales of the Faes' fickle tempers and mortals who had the misfortune of running into such moods.

Nairth San'Seya

Isiell watched idlily as Nairth spun his hair around a finger, brow arching sharply as he spoke.

"I would argue everybody has their demons, no matter how pristine they appear to be, or how humble they act. Do not think differently of me for my mistakes, for they have shaped me into a more balanced being."

"Of course everyone has their demons," she purred as his hand slipped into hers and he led her onto the dance floor. "The question is always whether or not I will be one of them."

She made no comment on his mistakes shaping him into a more balanced being. Other fae's strange ideas of 'balance' had always baffled her. He seemed to think something he'd said had offended her, and she couldn't think of what it might have been, so she just let it fall away.

"The mortal is fascinating, is she not?" she murmured as Nairth's arms settled around her and they began to step into the dance. "Did you speak with her earlier? Were you here when she kneed the Prince's family jewels?"

Isiell's eyes tracked Fraeya's rather distressed departure then. She wondered if the girl would make an appearance again that evening, or if Delun would be sneaking her away.

Nairth San'Seya

A soft laugh spilled from San'Seya's smile as he gently pulled her into his arms, his hands mving deftly to find the curvature of her waist before sliding them further to the small of her back. It was a different experience when dancing with one of a near identical height, and he found himself curiously gazing into those swirling eyes that rested against Isiell's features.

It reminded him of an old song he'd heard from his father long ago: Two living statues, each representing opposing emotions and ideals, dancing harmoniously atop a castle shrouded in mist. In the song, the peaceful statue and the violent statue's dance lasts forever, the misty castle they move across a metaphor for the world itself. He couldn't help but see her, with all of her mystique and reputation, as somebody he could find no end of intrigue in.

He pivots, moving in tune with the soft music that carried through the air. He speaks softly in reply to Isiell, his words hushed as he leaned in. "She is determined. I admire that greatly. She acts not with a lack of fear, but in spite of it." He hadn't known of a strike to the Prince's nethers, but the thought brought a smile that he couldn't hide. Sliding his eyes closed, he pressed his broad chest snugly against hers as he spun them around before dipping her, "I do not see a demon in you..." his palm slid up to rest gently on her upper back to support her for a moment before he hoisted her back up, meeting her gaze once more. "I see one who holds their own complex ideals, but then I would be disappointed if you didn't. It is our unique minds that save us from being totally monotonous beings, controlled entirely by those above us."

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Violent people championing life above all... Never heard that one before." The small fellow said sarcastically, walking along the table as he dusted off the white gloves he wore over his hands. "The last time Nairth was violent, he killed dozens of Fae in a calculated attempt to wipe out an entire bloodline. Ah, of course... you didn't hear that from me." He cleared his throat, pretending he hadn't just said something he shouldn't have. Tharu hadn't seen it first-hand, that massacre...

But he was tied to it closely, being the youngest son of Nairth San'Seya.

Nairth killed all of the children who bore his name, but Tharu had been an interesting case; He was not born until after that slaughter, having been conceived shortly before it. Rather than kill another of his own children for sins he did not commit, Nairth elected to enslave Tharu San'Seya, cursing him with a diminutive size.

Despite this, Tharu did indeed love his father. He was a San'Seya, and their duty was to love. "It's true, many of our kind are not shy about using their status and power to obtain whatever they desire. Some argue it a trait quite ugly, but there's little denying it's effectiveness, is there?"

Vulpesen

Isiell

• Sip
Reactions: Isiell
Despite fighting the urge to trip the nearest dancer and watch as every fae on the ballroom floor tumbled in sequence, Isiell enjoyed a skilled partner. Lorcan had been adequate earlier--both on the dancefloor and off--but Nairth moved with a practiced ease and she found herself smiling as their eyes met.

"She is strong," Isiell commented to reply to Nairth's observations of Fraeya, giggling quietly as she saw the smile spread across his lips when she mentioned Fraeya's... bold attack. "Far stronger than she gives herself credit for, and certainly stronger than most of the fae in this room suspect. Her future will be an interesting one to watch."

Isiell threw her head back and laughed as Nairth dipped her--similarly to how Lorcan did earlier as well, and she wondered for a moment if it would be just as easy to make him invite her into a shadowed corner. Lorcan had, though, giving her a standing invitation for his bed, and despite her teasing, she was curious to see what else the Autumn Prince might deliver--then grinned as he settled her on her feet again.

"I don't mind being someone's demon, though," she purred softly. "It makes for interesting parties."

Her expression turned somber then, though she still smiled. "Our minds and ideals don't prevent us from being controlled, though," she countered. "If someone knows what holds one's heart... then control is easy to gain."

Nairth San'Seya

• Smug
Reactions: Lorcán
Vulpesen nodded placidly along to the servant's observation, though the revelation stopped the warlock cold. For a brief moment, the Zorren's face would contort into a snarl, though he did his best to hide it. Genocide, as it happened, was a rather sore spot for those who had sworn themselves to the vitae code. Flicking his tail, Vulpesen settled himself by draining a large portion of his recently refilled drink.

"Perhaps mayhem can be effective, but is the cost always worth the reward?"
His clawed fingers tapped lightly against his glass as his eyes turned to Nairth and his newfound company. It was a sobering reminder that the fae were capricious beings. Varos and the Vitae Court were by far the exception to the rule given their high regard of life, particularly that within the mortal realm. "If I might ask, what drove him to do such a thing?"

Nairth San'Seya

• Sip
Reactions: Lorcán and Isiell
Lórcan drew in a few deep breaths, as though she'd provided the air he'd been starved of. His lips curled into a smile against her hair as he pressed a kiss down on her head, giving another squeeze before drawing his hands over her shoulders and pressing her back a step to look over her. "I know.." he sighed in answer to her reminder of sanctuary, but he couldn't leave his brothers behind, and she knew that too. He savoured these little reprieves in her presence, moments of calm and without pretence.

His cheeks dimpled as his grin grew wide, a sparkle of life in the dark gold of his eyes. "A dance with the dazzling Princess of Summer?.." he asked whilst taking her hand in his, lifting it above her head to twirl her.. "I'm certain I'm not worthy, but it would be my honour." he smirked and bowed to press a kiss on her knuckles.

As she commented on Isiell, Lórcan followed her gaze to the chaos fury and he rolled his eyes with a laugh under his breath.. "Just some fun..What is chaos if not fun?.." he mused. He wasn't interested in more, not with Isiell, not with anyone. Another thing Ama knew better than most. He gave her a pointed look and left the rest unsaid, his arms folding across his chest as the conversation drifted toward his father, a long sigh tumbling from his lips as he stared darkly at the king..

"Isn't he always?.." he asked rhetorically, his brow furrowing as he shoved the thought away and looked back to his friend.

"Anyway, he's still a prick, as am I.. What's new with you? Tell me of summer.." he smiled.

Amaryllis

Last edited:
“Lórcan,” she said his name with a scolding undertone, knowing that even though he said those words jokingly, a part of him probably believed them to be true. “There is no one whose side I would rather be on,” she reminded him gently, as she had done many times before. “..than yours.” When Lórcan was young, Amaryllis – against the better judgement of her court – had taken a strong liking to the boy and what bound them to one another today was a bond that eclipsed the boundaries of mere trust and friendship.

They were two parts of the same coin.

When Lórcan showed willingness to dance, Amaryllis’ eyes lit up and a smile spread across her pretty face. Bright laughter filled the air around them and the princess eagerly twirled on her toes. The corner of Ama’s lips turned upwards when he kissed her knuckles and she shot him a glance of gratitude. Unlike him, the female fae had more of an extroverted personality – she genuinely enjoyed these types of celebrations.

Both of them paused and when Amaryllis, suddenly deeply in thought, glanced at Isiell and her best friend’s words stirred something unknown inside of her. Her brows furrowed and for a moment there, the princess seemed to have trailed off entirely.

What’s chaos if not fun?

She wouldn’t know. She hardly ever let herself indulge in anything after all. That’s why she’d been mateless for a thousand years and most likely would be for another.

“Summer is...boring. Nothing ever happens,” she admitted quietly and lowered her gaze. It was no secret to the people of her court and Lórcan as well that the motherly Amaryllis, who held so much love and care in her heart, had no one to give it to. A truth that deeply disturbed her and one she hid well from those she didn’t trust. “Maybe I’ll stay here for a while, if you don’t mind. I have grown weary of seeing the same sights every single day.” She was once again grateful for the wards he had put up.

• Popcorn
  • Cthuulove
Reactions: Isiell and Lorcán
Nairth found himself in agreeance with his partner about the human in Fae's clothing. She was... beyond intriguing, and as Isiell offered him the sight of a smile upon her soft features he would meet it quite readily with his own. "She doesn't know it, but I've placed her under my protection." He quietly admitted. "She destined for something, something that is bigger than us. I will see that she reaches her potential." He disagreed with the way Isiell thought, with her actions and history... But then one could easily make the same argument about him, could they not? He had committed his own wrongs, ones that lesser beings would be put to death for.

It was fascinating then, that he seemed to be bothered by her rather somber look hidden behind her smile. He recognized something, some hidden meaning behind her words that spoke of an all too personal experience. His gaze, ever so wary and unsure of the Fae dancing with him, softened at this expression of distress. In an odd display of comfort, one of his arms raises slowly to brush the hair from her face with his thumb, only a brief pause in their dance as he spoke.

"No matter where we come from, which court we serve, we are all Fae. As much as we wish to believe otherwise, we Fae are mortal in our own way: Mo mind is without flaw, no spirit without fears or vices. Controlled we can be, but erased we cannot. Even in death, our spirits and our wills leave change that ripples across the land."

This dance was a testament to that, the genuine smile now spread across his face as he twirled the woman he should by all accounts detest, enjoying her presence against him as they moved to the soft sounds of music in the air. She would find none seeking a demon here in his arms, but she would find a lonely, isolated soul that had grown to accept his own weaknesses long ago, one that perhaps didn't mind being in the company of one so-called nightmare, for she was one and the same with him.

Perhaps it was the mingling thoughts of others that raced through her mind as he continued to move her across the floor, perhaps she was pondering whether or not Nairth himself was quite mad. The San'Seya had made his thoughts known however, and carried her through the air with the intention of enjoying himself, and ensuring the enjoyment of his partner.

"I already have my demons, Miss Isiell. I fear you may feel me to be crowded..." He spoke softly as he leaned in, his voice soft against her ear as he held her tightly.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tharu began to suspect that maybe he had spoken too much of his Master's history when he saw his conversation partner's expression change into something a good deal away from pleased. Ah yes, he'd forgotten that this one was relatively new to The Courts. It wasn't too much of a stretch to imagine such actions could have affected him directly. Softly, he clicks his tongue against the roof of his mouth as he watches the warlock from the side of his vision. "A fit of rage." He finally spoke. "Upon learning that one of his daughters had sired a child with a mortal Elf, and had given it the San'Seya title. He saw it as blasphemy, considered himself a failure in terms of fatherhood..."

Tharu averted his eyes, looking at his drink for an awfully long time. He wasn't supposed to be speaking about this... but if he said nothing, this young warlock may do something unwise. "He slew every child that he'd fathered, and retreated to hiding for more than 100 years." He clears his throat and gestures to Nairth and Isiell. "When he came back... he was different. Colder, quieter and definitely less ambitious..."

Isiell
Vulpesen

• Cthuulove
Reactions: Fraeya
Vulpesen twitched lightly as he heard the tale of San'Seya's slaughter. The Vitae, whether in the form of the court, or the alliance, followed a simple code of three words. Life, Freedom, and Unity. To end one's own family line was to violate two of the three parts of the code. There was some solace however, that the rage had not been one without reflection. Surreptitiously sending a glance towards San'Seya, the warlock couldn't help but wonder just how much and in what way the encounter had changed him.

"Guilt is not something common to the fae, I think. But perhaps it should be. It encourages change and reflection. With any luck, your master and others who've done what is worth regretting, will learn. And if they can learn, perhaps some day, they can make amends." There was still a chill in his voice, a remnant of the deep seated hate gained over a decade ago on the Almerand field. Betrayal was an abomination to the Vitae. It was a cardinal sin for Vulpesen. Still, there were few in the world that he would find truly impossibly to forgive. "Don't worry, I'll not breathe a word to him."

Nairth San'Seya

He smiled mutely at her scolding words. Thank the Gods for her. It didn't seem to matter what atrocities he committed in his father's name or what debauchery he benumbed himself with, her view of him never changed. She saw through him, saw more than the detestable, hedonistic bastard that most others with two eyes and a brain saw, and he let her in to soothe his storms.

That her thoughts grew distant and that she avoided his gaze wasn't lost on him. He knew her as well as she did him, and he reached to drag her to him to press a knowing kiss on her brow. They were both alone - in very different ways, but alone nonetheless. In Lòrcan's mind, nobody would ever be worthy of her, nor could anyone love her as much as he did, and so he was ever selfishly happy that there were no males he need worry about. Just as he would never be worthy of anyone with love in their hearts. Love wasn't something he deserved. He couldn't deny the ache in his chest at how she longed for it, however.

"If I don't mind?.." he laughed at her. "Your chambers are already prepared. Stay as long as you like." he smiled a rare and genuinely warm smile, making a mental note to assign one or two of his most trusted to her protection. He didn't trust his father around her for a single moment.

"Come, lets have that dance.."

Amaryllis

"She doesn't know it, but I've placed her under my protection." He quietly admitted. "She destined for something, something that is bigger than us. I will see that she reaches her potential."

"Have you?" Isiell murmured when Nairth said he'd brought Fraeya under his protection. "Will you?" she questioned again, though not really expecting an answer, when he said he would make sure the human reached her full potential.

She'd heard similar words spoken about herself so many times over the years, and it usually meant obligation. Duties. Constraints. Especially when it was protection unasked for.

Fraeya had that already, in the Autumn Court, under Delun's... protection. No. What the human needed, rather than protection she didn't ask for, was to be free. Just like Isiell had needed.

"No matter where we come from, which court we serve, we are all Fae. As much as we wish to believe otherwise, we Fae are mortal in our own way: Mo mind is without flaw, no spirit without fears or vices. Controlled we can be, but erased we cannot. Even in death, our spirits and our wills leave change that ripples across the land."

She let the subject shift away from Fraeya, though, smiling briefly as Nairth brushed a hair away from her face. She was a little puzzled by his next statement, though. It was not often that she met someone who could make her pause and think--chaos, after all, was rarely thought through to be accomplished. It depended on whimsy--and so when she spoke again, Nairth was perhaps unaware of the compliment she paid him.

"I will think on your words," she murmured, then let herself be caught up in the dance again.

"I already have my demons, Miss Isiell. I fear you may feel me to be crowded..." He spoke softly as he leaned in, his voice soft against her ear as he held her tightly.

As Nairth pulled her close, and whispered in her ear, though, Isiell tipped her head back and laughed.

"My good sir," she teased, "did I ever say I would be your demon? Besides... the more the merrier!"

Nairth San'Seya