Open Chronicles A Festival of the Lights

A roleplay open for anyone to join
Dancing. No. Dancing was not Arkobold's favorite thing. Not here. Not with so many of the Big People about. And. He had seen a shrump. IN THE STARS.

It was a sign. Clearly. It must have meant that there was a rare and juicy shrump hiding somewhere in the woods. Somewhere in the forest!

So, Arkobold had scurried off, into the woods. Into the wilds. Into the brush and branches and snuffled about the snow dusted growths. Most life was asleep. Plants. Shrumps. Bugs and birds. Fast asleep. Away from the cold.

But Arkobold had read of a special shrump. A most rare and spectacular mushroom. The Cold Heart Shroom. He had forgotten about it with all the busy work he had been doing. And all the amber stones he had passed out. But the stars. The stars reminded him.

Only on a moonless night, did the magical shrump appear. And so busy was he, with his head low to the ground, studying the trails that shrumps liked to hide in, that he didn't see the scared demon once he popped through the brush. Not until he bumped right into him!

He screeched a dry and small shriek. And fell back onto the snow with eyes shut tight, and his snout stung smart. He blinked, and looked up at the big one. His mouth hung agape and his eyes were wide as eggs.

"Why... why you hide here?" the tiny kobold dared to ask, and was already picking himself up off the snow. One hand still wrapped tightly around his haul of precious stones. "Party there!" he scratched out of his throat, and pointed to the revel.

Makou

Last edited:
The spectral images of dragons and castles and fantastical creatures captured his attention to the point that he almost forgot that he was standing with another person in a crowded area. The beautiful lights were dazzling like little stars sewn together in a tapestry of magic.

Josai's voice drew him out of his trance as she held out her palms for him to see a pair of pretty blue figures. They were phantom-like and dancing together, almost glowing within their happiness. In a clap of her hands, they vanished into mist. She offered to show him more, in exchange for a dance.

"Yes. I'd like that." He said excitedly, almost like a dog that was offered a treat.

Realizing that wasn't the proper way to ask a lady to dance, he stood up straight and gave her a little bow. He offered his hand out to Josai but his eyes were on the ground, a bit embarrassed by his earlier reaction.

"Would you like to dance, madam?" He asked, finally looking in her eyes.

He had a gentle smile and his eyes were earnest in his request. Elis secretly hoped he would remember all the steps to the dance. The music's pace slowed to a relaxed pace and he was silently relieved. Fast dances were usually much harder to keep up with.

Josai

The strange sense that she knew this woman was overwhelming, but she just smiled. Raea’s words made her giggle, she stepped a little close to her like she was about to divulge the most secret of secrets. Glancing around them, her green eyes scanning the people closest to them to make sure they were not listening too intently. “Why yes, I am in fact Fae.”

Suddenly the woman dipped into a clumsy courtesy, the very act brought a rush of red to Aurora's face. “Ooh please, you don’t have to be so formal..” The move brought her back to the court mannerisms, and reminded her of what she had left behind without a word. She knew they would be furious with her disappearing once more, taking on her adventure without any warning.

“It is a pleasure to meet you Raea, I am Aurora Nublia. And thanks, you flatter me so.” Aurora could understand Raea more than she knew, seeing the world one moment at a time was exactly what Aurora was trying to do between her duties as a queen of a hidden fae court.

“Yes, seeing the world as it is one moment at a time, a tough gig to pull off. To really enjoy it as a whole, and remember to savor it. But yes, I am here for a memory stone. I heard about them from a traveler, and found it quite fascinating.” Aurora wanted to take possession of one of the many orange stones, to take it back to her collection.

Empyrean

Stubborn. Stubborn and proud.

Sabine's peers never viewed her with any pleasurable countenance. No, for most of her life she was wild, unruly and contrarian. She did not take pleasure in uncomfortable dresses or what she deigned to be useless skills.

Did she learn to sew? Yes--her gear, and wounds.
Did she learn to dance? Yes--with her spear and sword.
Did she learn the beauty of magic? Yes--and with it the wrath and savagery of the earth.

She did not sing, dance or share the jovial demeanor of those around her, but she could appreciate the comradery of the event. There were few familiar faces she recognized--primarily kind Hector who once saved her--to whom she owed a debt for her very survival. She wondered who else here she might recognize? Socialization was not the finer of her skills given the brutal nature of her work as a war mage--but she wasn't a complete heathen.

Only when she wanted to piss her mother off.

The more she was subjected to the good natured people around her, the more out of place she felt. Surely just once Raea could walk around without stumbling into some sinister plot to have her blood harnessed for maleficence. A stein of something cold and sour did sound far more pleasant than being a wallflower.

Clicking her tongue Sabine followed after Raea. The young woman had stopped to chat and Sabine paid the conversation no mind, choosing the nearest stone from many. "Don't go far, Your Grace." She advised sternly (and with a leer that made Raea wilt inwardly)--cutting in between the women without paying the other woman notice.

She looked around as she stepped away from the two. Inhaling slowly, deeply--pulling together the focus--she reached out with her senses. The earth was all around, with buried bones and pretty stones. She sought something particular, and set off with as brisk a pace as one could during a festival. She wove in and out, towering over some and dwarfed by others. Like a salmon fighting to get upstream, the made her way further and further away--away from people. Crowds thinned and dispersed, until she found the gardens and--aah, yes. Stone borders. Not to big, not too small.

And then, she began to weave.

Thin threads of gold traced in the air with each careful deliberate hand gesture. It was the splay of her fingers, the way she pulled on the thread--one became three, and six, and more. They wrapped delicately around the amber stone, it's epicenter, a memory already embedded giving sentience to magick--to the earth.

Sabines hands moved with practiced grace and intent. Knotting, weaving, doubling down on the purpose. Chains of knots leapt from her hands and danced in a golden splay of dazzling light, scintillating and powerful, spinning and weaving a tapestry of sentience.

The ground trembled beneath her feet, a subtle movement as she pierced the veil of the divine and called upon Thaus' might. Her request was but a drop in the grand ocean of the goddesses' power. A simple request--to watch and protect. Sabine slammed her foot into the ground and it cracked. Stones tumbled and rolled, dislodging themselves from their buried homes. They varied in smoothness, roughness. Colliding and building over one another--the very dirt and earth caking, crushing and manifesting itself into existence--a humanly form, barely perceived to be human.

Its heart the glowing ember that radiated with every memory of her sweet Efrideet. The valiant giantess of a woman, strong, vigilant, caring. Sabine was a Shaper, now, giving form to her Vanakara. Shining threads were buried like golden veins beneath the stone, clay and dirt. It had Efrideet's broad shoulders, and perhaps even an echo of her lovely visage--as only Sabine could remember it. It was no replica--no. It was merely a pawn, a tool. But it shared the vague likeness of her lost love.

The golem was rigid in movement at first, the magick taking it's time to seep into every crystal lattice, bathing it with the same intent. "You will accompany Lady Raea Knight. You are her guard for the evening. You will answer to Raea Knight but you will answer to me above her. You answer still to the Will of Thaus. Your Oath is sealed."

And then it moved. With each step it shaped itself. Refining itself, and became more. Clay-like outwardly, supported by its rocky innards and clods of dirt. It remained featureless and vague yet distinctly human--though its heart pulsated with Sabine's imbued and most precious memory. Carefully, towering high over others, it waded through the crowds of celebrators to find the Lady Raea.

It was like having a piece of her heart returned.

Movement from the corner of her eye snapped her attention back. A man was there. Taking respite, perhaps. Sabine shifted awkwardly, not realizing there had been many witnesses to her display of the Weave. "I--apologies. I thought I was mostly out of sight here."

Kaige Severos

Raea's golden eyes widened when Aurora confirmed it. "What is your world like?"

Raea didn't mean to blurt out the question. Her brush with the fae was rare--and when it happened, they were often trying to murder her. It was different this time, and while Raea had knowledge of some of the courts, the endless participants were lost to her. It was stupid to think Aurora had anything to do with what happened to her and she didn't dare chase the idea. She also didn't dare journey to consult the fae courts--they were too clever, cleverer than she would ever be despite their shared blood. More likely--they would reject her entirely, or dismiss her very existence.

She had already been ensnared once by a man with less than honorable intentions of holding her hostage in exchange for power, knowledge and hospitality. It had failed because her blood was diluted--not yet bound to the same laws as other fae--or so she had been told. Sabine had been intentionally separated from her, and it was she who stumbled through the thinly veiled world between theirs and the fae--into Khanai, the wintery realm of the savage unseelie Yosei. A prisoner or a pawn to advance Raea, Sabine still had yet to determine.

They didn't look like Aurora, by Sabine's account. While they maintained the otherworldly beauty all fae were rumored to share, there was something unhinged and hideous and monstrous to them simultaneously. There were no courts here--no hospitality. Only tribes, hierarchy, and the demand for respect or the price was death or worse.

"I'm afraid I'm new to this world. I suppose..." Raea lifted a amber piece and held it up to a lantern to inspect it. It shimmered ethereally and she sighed, "I don't know a damned thing about any thing. But I'm learning. Please, be patient with me! It's such a pleasure to meet someone so...so..." Raea gestured to Aurora with a vague gesture, her nose wrinkling as she tried not to laugh, "...so pretty! It's nice to speak to someone with--manners!" She thought she might hurl herself from the tallest monastery window if she said Aurora was pretty one more time. Sabine interjected long enough to take her own stone without a second glance. Shying away from Lady Knight, Raea smiled apologetically to Aurora for the rude interruption.

She thought she could see the sad woman of her dreams entrapped in the stone she earlier inspected--and perhaps more. Ghostly figures Raea didn't readily see or concentrate on--too distracted by pleasant small talk to notice her memory had already been chosen--or that it was not her own.

Eternity

Compared to others of his ilk, Guernot's bioluminescence was weak. But on nights like these, with the moons dark and the lanterns dimmed for the upcoming light show, one could see it. A pale blue sheen rippled across the kivren's skin, and eyes flashed red-orange with a hunter's menace. However, Guernot did not need to hunt down any fish or other beasties in the near-dark of the ocean's murk. He'd scarfed down several slices of mince pie just before posting up at the amber booth. The glow was just for looks.

A lanky young man stepped forward and spoke to Guernot in a halting voice. "Right you are, this is the spot to be." He smiled at the kid, and his teeth were only a little pointed. "Ah, but you're not picking out a memory stone for yourself, are you? Let me guess!" Guernot paused for effect, raising his brow in thought. "This will be a gift, for someone close to you. Perhaps a young lady...?"

Wesley Argent

The evening had began winding down and Ophelia decided it was time for her to find a seat. As the evening drew on the air got colder. O' would stop for a minute free, from the crowds and pulled her emerald coat from her trusty knapsack. Cloak on Ophelia continued her stroll eventually ended up in the gardens. She'd never been in there before, her first time at the monastery had not allowed to much exploration since her arrival so she took the chance while she could. Evidently her stroll took her to a stone bench already occupied by another.
Without a word Ophelia sat down next to him, reached her arm so far into her knapsack she was shoulder deep, after scrounging around for a couple seconds Ophelia pulled out a leather flask she knew to be filled with sweet elven wine from her homeland. She took a sip and then offered the flask to her seating partner.

Kaige Severos

Wesley was surprised by the kirven's politeness and how well he spoke.
Hells, he truly felt ignorant.
Wesleys eyes grew wide in surprise when the gentlemen suggested he was collecting the stone for a romantic interest.
"Oh no definetly not," Wesley shook his head and chuckled. The kirven had been correct in the sense, he would be collecting for a women, just not in the romantic sense he suggested. He scratched the top of his eyebrows, "It is actually for my Queen. She heard of the festival and the stone, I have been sent to retrieve one for her."

Syr Guernot

Last edited:
"Thou hath surely come to seek my aid," the skeleton said. Aid. Help. Knowledge. The word and its various accomplices hissed in her mind like a chorus of tormentors. The very words she'd used to rationalize lingering as long as she had with the Knights; clinging to some forlorn hope of finding a cure, of putting a stop to its source. A hope that had grown as short as the winter days.

There were few real experts on the subject of the blight, but they all seemed to agree that those afflicted would be devoured by it sooner or later. Dying was but one end - one more agreeable than the alternative. The druid recalled one haunted, insane creature from the balewoods that had once been a man. A terrifying portent, she'd begun to believe.

She narrowed her eyes skeptically at the proud heap of bone and armor. She'd read of liches before - every tome on necromancy had at the very least some dogmatic footnote about them - but she didn't consider that possibility until now. Her blight had warned her, though she still didn't understand how or why. But what else would make such claims of simply willing itself not to die?

This struck her like a scene from one of those Faustian plays that the opera houses in Fal'Addas were so known for. False promises and temptation, all at the price of a soul. Smiling wanly at the lich, she said very conversationally, "It is said in some places that desperation is a demon's best friend.

"Actually, I was just out for a stroll. I thought perhaps someone had buried you alive, or else that you were some mindless monster threatening travellers - but that is clearly not the case... so I will be on my way. Good evening."

A lich out in the forest. A few people at the monastery were going to be very interested in this tale.

Vardan

She laughed, a warm and delightful sound at his response, and she shoved him lightly on the shoulder. "Must you be so serious, all the time, Pursuant of Life?" her smile grew smaller, but lost none of its heat as the magick dazzled and sparked and bloomed into a tapestry of fairy tales and legends. "You are a good man, Osuin," she said, her hand lingered on his lap. "But you can't forget to live a little," she said, a girlish glint in her eye. She grew closer, and planted a kiss upon his cheek. "Victory," she whispered near his ear. "In all we face,"

A sharp cough came from nearby. The sort that said, Don't mean to interrupt, but actually yes do listen please.

Helena turned to find Syr Chadwick, his eyes closed as he stood at attention. "Chadwick?" she asked, eyes only just wider with some surprise.

"Captain Syr," the sworn started formally. "There is a host of hogs stopped on the main roads, one, Captain Agatha, of the Black Shields mercenary company, Captain Syr," Chadwicks eyes were already in the direction of the visiting company, and the smirk on his face, and excited wiggle of his brow did little to hide his excitement.

"Very good, I will bid them welcome," she said as she stood up, and made for the Blackshields.

Chadwick watched the captain go. "Osuin... you dog you," his eyes came back to the man, and he sat down next to him, ribbed him in the shoulders and picked up Helena's unfinished drink. Swirled it some. "I didn't know you and the Captain were so... close." he grinned wider and took a swig from the drink.

Osuin Agatha

The hog riders rode a steady line between the parked carriages as they headed into Astenvale proper. A trio of well-dressed drivers stood at the procession's far end, smoking pipes and shooting the shit as men were wont to do on cold nights where they had nothing to do. The elder among them, a greybeard with crow's feet around his eyes and a permanent scowl, turned at their approach. His eyes widened as he beheld the mercenaries, appearing from the swirling gloom like phantoms swathed in black cloaks.

'Hello,' said Agatha cheerfully, holding up a hand in greeting. 'Fine weather we're having, wouldn't you say?'

Torn between sudden fear and evident confusion, the elder nodded, of course, whatever you say.

Snorting, Brutus drove his hog on, past the three drivers and their dumbfounded stares. 'Stop it, Agatha,' he said in mock admonishment. 'You're scaring them.' Flashing a dangerous grin at the moon, he turned to gaze at the mutes, like a predator sizing up it's prey. 'Ain't that right, meat?'

'That'll do, Brutus.'
Agatha cut in, her mood souring with every word out of the orc's mouth. 'Why don't you and Wineskin head on into town and wrangle up some drinks for us all? Get these fine gents some mulled wine while you're at it.' Looking across at Brutus, the orc captain met her subordinate's gaze and held it. She had never particularly liked Brutus, but now he was getting to be a royal pain in the arse.

No doubt he felt the same way about her. His fangs glinted dangerously in the moonlight as he broke the connection.

An uncomfortably long silence followed. Wineskin spoke up from the sidelines. 'Sounds good, chief,' he said, his voice shaky in the still air of the roadway. 'Come on, Brutus. Duty calls.' With a sigh, Agatha turned back to the drivers as her two companions headed deeper into Astenvale. A cheer went up from within the town as she looked down at them. The music was growing louder, she felt, and someone had started clapping in time to a tune she couldn't quite make sense of.

'My apologies,' she bowed to the three drivers. 'I often find that he who spends too long in the saddle has a nasty habit of mistaking his balls for his brains.' Smiling softly, the she-orc grinned as the three men started to laugh. That's better, she thought, eyeing Brutus as he disappeared into the shadows of the nearby buildings. She would have to deal with him, sooner or later. Probably sooner.

As if sensing her thoughts, the ghostly form of Redbad appeared a moment later, coming in the opposite direction.

He had someone with him, Agatha saw. Mender recognised the figure half a heartbeat before she did. 'Well, well, well,' Mender smiled, reining up beside the Blackshield Captain. 'Is that who I think it is?' With a wordless nod to the drivers, Agatha rode to meet Redbad as he stormed her way. There was purpose in his stride, and an amused gleam in his eye that had Agatha holding back a grin of her own.

Dismounting, she bade Helena of Dawn welcome with a smile and a salute. 'Hello, Helena,' she said, her voice a warm rumbling in her throat. 'It's been a while.'

Helena

Last edited:
"It is actually for my Queen. She heard of the festival and the stone, I have been sent to retrieve one for her."

"That serious, huh?" Guernot responded with a good amount of sympathy, not fully grasping the kid's explanation. He had already crafted an elaborate backstory of unrequited love for the young man, and mere facts were not enough to get in the way of the Flame Knight's fanciful imagination. All the more tragic, that the poor lad was taken with his liege, who could of course never return the affection.

"You don't want any of these, then,"
Guernot waved behind him at the bulk of the amber on display, piled up in open trays and sitting on shelves. "Let's get you something more fit for a Queen."

Reaching underneath a table, Guernot pulled out a small, locked box. He set the box down and waved a hand over it. The lid unlocked automatically, revealing an assortment of amber jewelry, rings and pendants and bracelets. The pieces of ananembic amber held within had been cut to shape and polished to a smooth gleam, crafted with a finer hand than the raw stones on the shelves.

There was a delicate looking ring, wrapped with blooming cherry branches, wrought in silver. One pendant had been carved into the shape of a heart, it's dark, cracked interior gleaming like a live ember. Another had an elaborate scene carved on the back of it, minuscule scales chipped out of the amber to form the body of a great serpent. The pale, glassy hue of the stone gave the etching added depth.

Wesley Argent

That serious, huh? Gu
"Actually she-" But Wesley realized his explanation would fall on deaf ears. Wesley could basically see some magical romance formimg and swirling around his head.
Besides it would look good for Esmerelda if she had  another one of her warriors begin romantic advances in her direction.

Wesley watched as the Kirven dismissed the stones on display, "Excuse me but I am only here for a memory stone." That was the whole reason he even came to Astenvale and he was not about to leave with a little seashell trinket which might have some value toe the Kirven or others but was absolutely worthless to himself or his Monarch.
Fortunately for the red head, he was mistaken. His eyes grew wide at the contents of the box. Surely he couldn't take something so beautiful just because of a misunderstanding? It would be dishonorable and if Wesley was anything, it was a man of honour.
"Syr, I must clarify something with you." He began, still unable to take his eyes off of that which lay before him...especially the ring.
"You misunderstand, the stone is not for a romantic interest." Wesley pushed himself to look once more at the now seemingly boring stones. "The stone truly is for my Queen, my kingdoms ruler."

Argent took no pleasure in dismantling the Kirvens fantasies but his honour was to him personally, more important.

Syr Guernot

Admiring the dancing lights, Kaige was not immediately aware of the armored woman who departed the crowds as surely as he had. It was only when her hands began to move and her fingers wove through the empty space before her, that his attention was caught. As quick as he was to realize she was not targeting him with some malicious spell, he yet silently berated himself for being so distracted. As a Demon Hunter, he should always be aware. Always.

There was time for nothing else.

He watched warily as the woman seemed to manipulate invisible threads, building a sculpture he did not see. But he did feel it – the power building around her, growing stronger with every passing moment. The ground rumbled; pebbles rolled and gravel cracked. Kaige tensed, one hand gripping the lower haft of his spear instinctively as the woman’s foot smacked the restless earth.

At her command, the ground upheaved, and built from the bones of that earth a creature not of flesh or blood was born. Kaige watched, still rigid but amazed all the same, as the woman gave her orders to the golem. Without a word – assuming it could speak at all – it moved away to do as she bid, off to guard what Kaige imagined must be a princess or high-seated noble. After all, commoners were rarely able to afford such protection… and often didn’t need to worry about paid assassins.

As the golem strode off into the distance, another woman came to sit beside him. As tall as he, she was deathly pale, with red eyes, and yet, as intimidating her features, she was a beauty. He wondered if she was a demon at first, one of the higher devils who had better acts to perform than ravaging humankind with no other purpose than to cause chaos. And while she seemed… off, she did not emit the distinctive feeling he was so familiar with. No, she was no demon. But what she was truly, he could not guess.

She reached into her a pack and pulled out a flask, taking a sip before offering it to him. He hesitated – last time he sampled a stranger's goods he ended up with a burning throat and spent the day after bent over a privy. But, loathe to be rude, he took the offered flask and took small, but polite sip.

Elven wine, of a delicious vintage. It tasted of chocolate, exotic fruits and rich dark oak. With a particular taste for fine wine, Kaige was as delighted as he was relieved. He took another sip before returning the flask with a sigh of satisfaction. He released the spear, and then smiled at the beauty. “Thank you, my lady. You have a very refined palate, I’m pleased to say. To whom do I owe the pleasure?”

He glanced at the woman who stood not far away, who made an awkward apology. He waved a hand and offered a smile to her as well. “Worry not. That was quite a show. I am very impressed. Are you a geomancer? To craft such a thing with such ease and power, you must have great talent.”

Ophelia Tirion , Sabine Fenvaris

Folding her hands carefully over the skirt of her dress, she smiled at Raea. She was entertained by the energy this woman gave off, and the way she continued to react to her presence among all the others in the event. “Patience? Oh I have more than you know..” Hearing her talk about how pretty she was again, Aurora couldn’t help herself but let out a soft laugh. Pulling her right hand up to cover her mouth a moment to hide the laugh, she met Sabines gaze a moment who came to interrupt the two.

“My world is hidden and untouched by most outsiders.” Leaning into Raea a moment, she lowered her voice. “My court is a jungle, hot and protected by Gaia herself.” Aurora’s Fae court heavily worships the mother Gaia, earth as she is the bringer of life.

Looking over at Sabine once more, she tilts her head a moment almost sure she knows the woman. “Where might I get one of those stones?” Motioning to the stone Raea held, Aurora glanced towards the line where people moved around getting their pick of stones.

Empyrean

Seeming to decide on something, Seluria gently laid her hands beneath Valborasts as he made the triangle symbol. Despite being such a simple touch, having opened his senses to the Loch, her hands would feel both like ice and burn like fire at the same time, tingling at the edges of his senses. It was not a physical pain he could feel, even if it was pain at all, no-... and so the differences between the two became pronounced. Where Valborast would be more than capable of defeating Seluria in single combat without the use of magic, he could now feel the depth of her magic at its height in contrast to his own power.

Valborasts eyes burned white at the healing power of fire and. Cryotherapy and heat applied to his mortal frame dud restore him to his complete wholeness. This magic did far exceeds Valborasts own capacity. A rare moment of humility which did not venture into the realms of humiliation.
Her fingers curled, and the Knight felt a tug at his senses. The sounds of the festivities faded
It is an old, old magic... long lost and forgotten. she murmured. The height of the Astral is when the moon is at its weakest. When the sun has turned away, and no light overpowers that of those in the beyond. In and of themselves, from what I have come to understand, these beings are simple observers. Concepts that are bound to the psyche of all life and representatives of those perceptions. By understanding these concepts and accessing their power, I can then apply them in counter to whatever evils I face. Such is the nature of my ability to purify. And, if focused, it can be as potent as sunlight. Though access to such is limited even for me, and I am a fragile shell to be utilizing such singular intent. she chuckled.

Valborast Valchek

"I am powerless before your magic," Valborast uttered. He blinked, his eyes shifting colour from white to black and then to his original colour.

"I see the truth of it," Valborast said. "I am made whole by the power of the moon and the sun. I have never known such a...peace. I an eternally on your debt, Seer. I pledge my blade, Riven, to serve you. A Knight is sworn to Valour. A Knight is sworn to be victorious. A Knight Pursuant I am not. Bit I will try to redouble my efforts to be worthy of the title one day. I am not worthy."

He breathed deep. Inhaling the fresh air.
He held the breath for 5 seconds. Square breathing. Exhaled.

He fired his jaw and locked eyed with Seluria.

"Yet."

The lights above were like an oil slick of colour.

Josai's smile widened at the man's admittance. The eagerness in his voice and the way he seemed to light up at the suggestion. Sweet and broad shouldered. The spear witch thought as he looked to his feet again.

When his eyes came up and asked her so formerly, she could not help but laugh, a warm and giggly. "I would, ser," she said with a small curtsey, and she took his hand into hers, and stepped closer to him as she rest the other upon his shoulder. "And, you may call me Josai, stranger," she said softly into his ear, her face warm as the music's gentle pace swelled and she stood there as the lights went on blooming and fading over head.

Elis Chares

“Hah! Fair, fair.” Osuin obliviously replied, interpreting little more than the mere content of Helena’s words. This was a time for duties to be done with, and for them to celebrate the closeness and kinship they shared instead. Clueless as he’d been, Helena’s hand in his lap was a hint obvious enough for Osuin to grasp, however, and his smile widened at her compliment. A wonderful person and a good friend, he could not think of any he was closer to than Helena. Of happiness and woe, victory and loss, they had shared much.

And also a kiss upon his cheek that caused Osuin to pause still once she’d delivered it. His smile remained while he tried to form the words to reply. “As always and ever.” Osuin settled upon, staying silent for another second before he finally found better words to speak.

“I’m truly glad to-” He began, only to be interrupted by another. Turning about revealed it to be Chadwick, and Osuin straightened his posture as if that might undo anything he’d been present to see. Despite the sentiments shared, duty required her presence elsewhere and Helena had to depart. He simply gave a nod, before Chadwick spoke of what he witnessed.

"I didn't know you and the Captain were so... close." He remarked.

“Shared challenges and battle can do that.” Osuin replied. “Nothing more Chadwick, you joker, you.” He added, attempting to dismiss the notions implied while he took another sip from his own stein.

Knowing Chadwick, it wasn't likely to be sufficient. But Osuin at least had to try.

Helena

Taking the lady's hand, he fell into her pull as she drew close. His face became pink with blush as she spoke softly into his ear. For a moment his mind went blank, but he was pulled into action when he realize that he was just standing there. He began to move his feet, gently guiding her through the dance.

"My name is Elis. It's nice to meet you."
He said politely.

The lights above sparkled and shone brightly. Above them were the brilliant stars in their tapestry display. The music held its sway as he became lost in it. The rest of the party seemed to vanish as he began to take note of how pretty Miss Josai was.

"Miss Josai, would it be alright of me to say how beautiful you are?" He asked, "You're eyes are kind ones. And you're practically glowing."

The way he spoke was genuine and seemed to be coming from the heart. Unlike many other compliments, these were not made to gain anything or held any expectations. Just simply words from the heart. He was careful to make sure his words wouldn't make her uncomfortable, as he simply wanted to be kind and never wanted to cause Miss Josai to feel unsafe.

Josai

Gently, she followed as he guided her. Firm, yet soft with his strong calloused hands.

Elis. She said in her mind. "It's nice to meet you as well, Elis," she said with soft voice, and she liked the feel of the name on her tongue.

He begged a question, which in and of itself made her blush, her head turned away, only just as she smiled, warm across her cheeks as they went on dancing. "You aren't so bad looking yourself, Mister Elis," she replied, a sweet coyness to her voice. "Dance near as sweet as you talk, too," she let on with a tender hush to her voice. "And just Josai, please," she added.

She leaned her weight a little closer to him as they moved. Glad she could hold someone so near. "I can glow in truth, you know," she teased as their feet danced and strode with the music. "All it takes is a wiggle of my nose, and a bob of my head," she wiggled her nose, but craned her neck to better look at him, and smiled, wistful.

"Most folk find me rather scary," she added. "Call me, Witch, when they see what I can do," she leaned her head against his broad shoulder, and smiled. "You are a different sort, I think, Elis," her smile warmed as she watched him with dreamy eyes that mirrored the magic around them.

She bobbed her head, and her eyes glowed a phantasmal blue. Her smile grew bright. The only magick there was the warm feeling that seemed to grow in her chest.

Elis Chares

Last edited:
Her touch was as gentle and warm as her voice with a hint of playfulness. She took his clumsy compliments in stride and matched them with her own. He guided her across the dancing area as if they were in a dream. Elis kept his eyes on her but carefully avoided any of their dancing neighbors.

"Alright... Josai." He responded with a shy smile.

She leaned a bit closer to him as they danced and he accepted it graciously. His eyes widened with surprise as she declared she could glow. Magic was fascinating! Then she mentioned she could do it with a wiggle of her nose and a bob of her head. He could guess it was a joke since had had a feeling magic took more than that.

Elis chuckled when he saw her wiggle her nose and was almost tempted to wiggle his own in return. Perhaps that would be too silly? Josai mentioned how most folk found her scary and called her a witch when they see her abilities. Elis knew some people back home who would react in the same way. It was a good thing his grandparents taught him better.

"Always thought magic was like a tool. Anybody can do bad things with it. Or they could make something beautiful." He emphasized the beautiful part.

For a moment, he thought they were floating off into their own little world. His focus was entirely on her. Then her eyes suddenly glowed a phantasmal blue. He had never seen such pure blue eyes in his life.

"Oh...wow." He said, his breath completely taken away.

Josai

"Yet." A satisfied smile touches the Seer's lips. "Now, I believe you have a clearer path. One that will succeed with a more sound foundation, even if it may take a little time."

"Now, perhaps something you can teach me in turn." she murmured, a distinctly teasing lilt to her voice as the woman tried to relax from the rather intense air she had foisted upon the man for a while earlier. Turning, Seluria moved to lead Valborast deeper into the crowds, toward the dancers. "I am sure you have learned much of etiquette and finesse where you come from. What of dancing do you know?"

Valborast Valchek

Innis startled when Syr Bebin approached. Even though he wasn't trying to sneak around, and even though he had a snotty kid in his arms, he still managed to step out of the mist like an apparition.

"Yessyr!"
Innis called out in response at her name, hastily rising to stand up. And then her fear promptly turned to confusion as the elder Pursuant sternly told her to go enjoy herself. Was this some kind of test? If this were Syr Dejan speaking to her, it would have definitely been a test, but the Loch night was harder to read.

"Um,"
Innis started, but then stopped herself. She glanced sideways at the other kids playing in the snow, chasing after sparking remnants of magic that fell from the sky. Test or not, she was going to become Sworn soon. She had to be good for her word. "If its all the same to you, Syr, I'd like to keep helping and see my shift through."

Pocketing the amber locket she'd been gazing at before, Innis stepped forward. "What sort of show did you have planned?"

Bebin Theros

“I know the dance of blades,” Valborast said cooly, and sighed. He blinked a few times, and rested his hand against his belt where a rondel was nestled. “Out of interest, how many languages do you speak? For you see, well. How to put it,” he said and blinked a few times more. His eyes glazed over for a moment as he stared at the lights abound. Everything felt as if it was in black and white, including his vision. Except for Seluria. She was vibrant in colour, all shades and hues luminous. He picked up his pace to keep through the crowd.

Somewhere Riven stirred within the silver scabbard, and began to float from wherever it did linger in the monestary. It floated of it's own accord, and hovered over the ground through where the healing vats were located. It encountered a locked door and picked it easily, for Riven was long and sharp, like a rapier and longsword combined.

“I am Riven,” it said as the lock was pried free and then hurried to meet it's Master.

Valborast shook his head, his vision restoring itself to the majesty of colours on display. He gave a small smile to Seluria, breaking what some of his comrades in the past had described as his, 'resting bitch face'.

I know the foxtrot, the waltz, and of course, the dance of blades. How brave are you feeling, Lady Seluria Estel'Narqua? There's a saying amongst knights Pursuants, or so I've been told. To be a gentleman warrior is best. You remind me of what is best. So, may I take this dance, madame?” Valborast said and outstretched a hand.

But before Valborast could clasp a hand, RIVEN launched itself from the bowels of the Monastery, flying high into the air, and singing with a high E note that whined beautifully. The blade was caught, and Valborast, without missing a beat, sheathed the sword and bowed politely with closed eyes towards Seluria.

“Now, we may dance,”
Valborast and Riven said in unison.

“What number should we dance to?” Riven asked politely yet firmly intoned.

“That is for the lady to decide,”
Valborast said and smiled. “Would you like to see the dance my son and I devised?” Valborast said and chuckled darkly.

Seluria Estel'Narqua

Whilst out in the world, when she was on the road, Ophelia was one to be aware of her surroundings. Things such has those Sabine had crafted would most normally catch her eye, but in this case it had not. Not for a lack of skill no - but for the young elf (well in elven years that was) had decided to tune herself out of everything the moment she had gotten the chance. The previous weeks leading up to her arrival in Astenvale had been trying, she had been determined to prove herself, something out of the ordinary for the hopeful future squire.

Thank you, my lady. You have a very refined palate, I’m pleased to say. To whom do I owe the pleasure?”
"My name is Ophelia, Ophelia Tirion of the Falwood." She took the flask and sliped it back into her bag, about to ask her companions name though, he addressed another and only then did O' become aware of the womens pressance.
Once more Ophelia reached into her knapsack and withdrew the wine and offered it to Sabine, "Would you like some?"

Sabine Fenvaris Kaige Severos