Private Tales The Party Never Stops

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Liliana took a slow sip of her drink as Everleigh explained her intentions, a small smile touching the Noble's lips as her companion explained her distaste of the Proctors.

It was an emotion that most every student in the Academy could understand.

Though she was of noble birth, Liliana had not been spared the pain and humiliations doled out by the Proctor's. She like everyone else had gone through tortures and trials. Could still remember the pain that had been inflicted upon her. The taunts that had echoed in her ears, calling her weak, a daughter that was thrown away instead of kept.

A part of her desired the same thing that Evie did. To go back to the Academy, to stand above all those who had mocked her throughout the years. To twist their minds and make them beg for any semblance of a life.

Yet that would not be her fate. "Oh Evie."

There was genuine sympathy in her voice.

"You should never feel like you have to go anywhere." Everleigh did not come from nobility, did not have the same privilege, but that didn't matter. "The Proctor's are insects, writhing and squirming with jealousy."

A truth she believed to her very core. "You have more options than you know."

Liliana said cryptically, smiling. "You just have to be willing to take them."

There was more to this world than just what others presented. Liliana knew that, it was a truth she clung to. Her family had long ago decided her fate, long ago told her what she was destined for. Yet a part of her, a very small part, clawed for something else.

Reached beyond the aspirations of her betters. Beyond the destiny they had assigned.

She was still so sure she could reach it.

"I will not join the guard." Liliana answered finally with a nod. "Adriana and Erren stand above me in the inheritance, but there is a place for me at home."

Liliana would make sure of that.

• Cthuulove
Reactions: Everleigh Ebersol
Everleigh nodded, but she couldn’t help but grimace. No, she didn’t have many options. Her magic held her back in so many ways. Socially, for one, and that was a huge reason why Everleigh had become how she was. She was ruthless and was especially vicious to those who had flashy powers or praised for just raw strength. She could name so many initiates like that in no time. She had her list. And she despised them being treated special

Besides, when was she ever not willing to take what she wanted? The truest thing about Everleigh was that she always knew what she liked and always knew what she wanted. And that was what ultimately made Everleigh a predator.

Does… the inheritance matter?” Everleigh asked, tilting her head. Nobility was such a strange concept to her, and really, Liliana was nothing like Kristen. Kristen was determined yes, but she was also the first noble that shattered her preconceived perspectives about how nobles were: powerful and wealthy. Alistair, Beatrix, Perseus, they all had a hardness to them that Kristen was lacking completely.

Are you… going to have to…” Everleigh felt her cheeks get red, feeling flustered. “Get… married. And maybe… have a family of your own? I mean, if that were the case, your husband? Would be lucky. Wouldn’t ever have to worry about being killed—oh, well, maybe he would.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Liliana
"It does." Liliana said with a slight frown, not surprised that Everleigh didn't know.

The Academy did not bother teaching the ways of Nobility of course. All that had ever mattered for Initiates was whom they were going to serve, not how it all worked. That lessons Liliana had learned from her father, and the few times that her sister had bothered to visit.

"In the old days I would have gotten nothing." She was to be a Dreadlord after all, serving the House that she was assigned to. "But now things are different, by Anirian law I'll likely be treated much like any other third daughter."

A frown touched her lips, though only for a moment before she noticed the flush of red coloring Everleigh's crimson cheeks. "Yes."

She said with a small smile.

"Father will likely try to marry me off. Perhaps to someone afar, or someone from another House." Liliana practically gagged at the thought of being married to a Pirian, or worse, a Weiroon. "But I don't intend to follow his whims."

Liliana felt her tongue loosen. Whether it was the alcohol or simply in the environment it was hard to say, but something kept her speaking. "There is a place for me at home because I intend to make it."

"I don't want to marry. I don't want a husband, or a happy little life pulling the strings of political puppets."
They both knew that was what they would have her become. "My family has had a plan for me my entire life, Evie."

She said quietly. "I am so tired of it, and I'm going to show them I'm more than another pawn on their chessboard."

Everleigh may have blushed from how audacious— and utterly girlish— her question was. But as Liliana spoke and continued to speak, Everleigh was rather glad that she had asked such a thing. And really, she was so happy she asked because she realized why she drawn to Liliana. They were kindred spirits, perhaps they faced slightly different circumstances but both of them wanted to lead their own destiny, to make their own decisions and face whatever consequences came of it; but at least it were consequences that only that they had chosen.

Well if their original plan is just to have you get married, make babies, and then help them sway politics, it is an insult to what you can do.” The poison eater said genuinely and then with a cheeky grin, “I’m sure in a meritocracy you’d be in charge for House Lorel.

If you tell your father no, he’ll accept it?” Everleigh couldn’t help but wonder if Liliana would be opposed to using her weaving onto her family— or if she even could. Perhaps those in her family would prepare for such a thing. But would Liliana even need to use her magic in this case? What if it was just through her wit? Possible, wasn’t it? Everleigh at least thought so.

Maybe when you graduate he’ll value your opinion on things a bit more?” From the relationship Everleigh could remember, all she knew that when her father was away, she missed him dearly. She remembered when she had devised a trap to catch a mouse and to butcher it, her dream being just like her dear old dad. And when it was discovered that she had magic and had unknowingly been poisoning her parents, she still had the vivid image of her mother reaching out to her and her father holding her mother back, if only to restrain himself from reaching out as well. She was no longer their child, she was sure they had forgotten all about her, but she wondered if, and just in general as commoners were nothing like nobles, if her father would value her happiness.

It certainly sounded like Liliana’s father didn’t care whether his third child was happy or not.

Liliana

• Cry
Liliana let out a small, bitter laugh. "No, he won't accept it."

A part of her couldn't help but feel that spike of resentment. Her father always had a plan for everything, everyone. For as long as she'd been able to understand, since she's come of age Liliana had been able to see that. Her father was a clever man, and n incredibly brutal one. He would never have admitted it out loud, not now, but she'd known that he had planned to break away from House Virak.

That was why she'd been sent to the Academy, made to foster relationships and pull Dreadlords to House Lorel. Her father had seen her as a tool, and still did. The Revolution had been his opportunity, and he had failed in it. Cowed by Elise Virak, though how she had done that Liliana had no idea.

"My opinion isn't what matters to them." She said quietly. "Only what I can do."

Fingers scrunched, and she took a long drink from her glass. "Adriana is poised to be just like father."

She had joined the Guard, not gifted with magic, and had made a name for herself there. Then she had joined House Virak's private army, and there had secured herself well in the eyes of their Cousin. Even now she served somewhere off the Cortosi Coast, doing kress knew what.

"And Erren…" She frowned. "He's always been father's favorite."

Liliana looked over to Everleigh. "I'm just what's left over. The tool to get what he needs in this new world."

Tears flickered in her eyes for a moment. A long breath drawing between her lips as she gathered herself. She blinked, looking away from Everleigh with no small hint of shame.

"So I'll go above them. Over him." Liliana said quietly.

The reason they were here at all; cousin Elise.

• Cthuulove
Everleigh took small sips of her drink, not interrupting Liliana, just letting her speak. She wanted to listen, to understand Liliana a little better. It was strange. She understood a lot of the initiates had strange opinions about home, or family in general. Many seem to miss it if they had come from loving homes and perhaps even thought life would’ve been better for them if they had never been granted the ability to wield magic at all.

In Vel Anir, dreadlords were only promised a destiny drenched in blood. And the revolution couldn’t change that.

Let them think you’re weak, it’s easier to get what you want,” Everleigh said heavily, her tongue feeling so slow, but Everleigh was not lecturing Liliana or informing her, only merely speaking aloud words that had been told to her. Everleigh had personally decided to reject that sentiment. Of course that was more out of spite than anything else.

Extraordinarily, Everleigh set her empty glass on the ground. Her face was red at this point, and there seemed to be a lightness in her body— which was strange because Everleigh also felt like she was moving a bit slow. Without caution she moved from her side of the hot spring and moved to Liliana, grasping her free hand in between her two hands. Her body was closer to Liliana than it had ever been before, she was leaning up into Liliana, no longer shy.

You’ll go above him. You will.” She said warmly, smiling wildly as if Liliana was telling Everleigh good news. Her eyes crinkled up into little half moons of mischievous mirth. “Whatever you need of me to help you in your journey, I’ll do it. Anything. Except… hanging out with your… crew.” Everleigh wrinkled her nose. “And I won’t leave behind Tinker, Zael or Liza. They’re mine.” Everleigh said, blinking for a moment. Oh gosh, she wanted to say something but… “I forgot what else I wanted to say.” She frowned. How unlike her. Her mind felt so sleepy, so lax. Even after being deprived sleep for days her mind had never felt this way before.

• Aww
Liliana smiled.

It was a wide, wicked sort of smile, but it hid nothing at all. For once in her life, perhaps for the first time in her life the scion of House Lorel didn't try to pull herself back. Didn't try to cloak a dagger behind her words or hide a knife behind her intent.

"You can have them." Ignatius, Jax, Trix, Del, they were all...they weren't her creatures.

She had known that for so long now. She had realized it ages ago.

Every one of them had taken root before her magic had come to it's own, before she'd had a chance. They were there for her father. For the power of House Lorel. They would do her no good in what she desired, in what she really wanted.

They wanted power, money. Liliana wanted so much more.

Her empty class clacked against the cold stone floor as she set it down. The rest of the liquor having been tilted down her throat before she slowly set off towards the center of the spa. "I'm-"

She cut herself off, entirely forgetting her companions forgetfulness.

"We're." Liliana corrected. "Going to be so much more than they expect, Evie."

Her voice was a honeyed mist. "We'll take it all."

Liliana's head spun. Her vision swam, but it didn't matter. She was going to have everything she wanted, and she intended to start tonight.

• Ctuhlu senpai
Everything’s already within our grasps,” Everleigh agreed and watched Liliana as she began to move with a slight sway. Everleigh wasn’t sure if it was the alcohol or something more but Liliana looked beautiful in that moment. With her blonde hair sticking to the nape of her neck and the curve of her shoulders, Everleigh wasn’t sure if she ever witnessed something so glorious. “We just need to wait for graduation. Now that the killing is off the table I’m sure everyone will graduate. Even Chasmine and Kristen.” Everleigh said with a shrug.

Chances with them graduating, even after the revolution, still seemed very slim. Unless Vel Anir wanted to tout some more fourth level dreadlords. Everleigh’s nose crinkled up, thinking of the rankings again, wondering how she would land now that she couldn’t show off during graduation. Graduating wasn’t enough anyways, those rankings always looming over her.

What will you do when you have it all?” Everleigh asked softly. “Will you ever stop?” Insatiable hunger, they both shared that, although they hungered for different things. Everleigh wondered what it would be like to stand at the top and to still be dissatisfied.

• Aww
Liliana's features flickered with disgust as Everleigh mentioned even Kristen and Chasmine graduating. The former was one of her own class at least, but the latter? That girl should have been left to the baloths of the Falwood some time ago.

She would have been more useful as animal feed. "No."

The Noble answered softly, quietly.

"I want power. Respect." Her fingers running slowly over the edge of the spa, as if she were lost in some sort of dream. "More."

She paused, then continued. "There's so much in this world, Evie. So much that they've kept from us. So much we haven't gotten to experience, do."

A passion entered her voice, a trance like need that she couldn't keep under control. Liliana couldn't remember the last time she had been so free with her tongue. Perhaps when Adriana had visited, maybe when Cousin Elise had asked her for her desires.

With another peer? Another student of the Academy?

Never. "I could sit on the Throne of Vel Anir itself, and even then I wouldn't be satisfied." Slowly she pulled herself forward, closer to her companion. "I want everything my family, the Proctors, the world would deny me."

Her hair floated in the water as she swam in the center of the spring. "Because I deserve it."

• Ctuhlu senpai
Everleigh watched Liliana move, saw the way her fingers traced the pool’s edge, watching how her long blonde hair moved like sinuous wisps of wisteria in the wind. She looked up into Liliana’s eyes, and Everleigh felt a sense of breathlessness as Liliana proceeded to move closer and closer to her.

Her mind still felt dazed, there was still a voice screaming in the back of her mind to get back control. Control of what? Herself? Her mind? Her body?

Ironically, Everleigh didn’t feel like this was from Liliana’s magic, and she was still under the assumption that Liliana had never used her weaving on her, she was certain that she would know if that were the case. She figured it would be like a switch that maybe she wouldn’t recognize at first but could at a later moment.

This must be from the alcohol. It had to be.

And then? If you receive more than the world? The sun’s heat, Lessat’s rings, every twinkling star in the sky is yours, what then do you crave?” Everleigh continued to pry. “Is money what you want? Power? Respect? Aren’t they simple constructs of humanity? Why not something more grandiose?” A malicious, wolfish grin appeared before Everleigh.

Liliana have you ever gambled before? A high stake gamble where both sides fear losing so immensely that it supersedes their survival instinct?

• Popcorn
Liliana looked at her companion, the enthusiasm clear on her features.

She wasn't sure what she wanted, she couldn't have put it into words.

The world? She did not know if she wanted to rule, did not know if she wanted to be Queen. The minds of those around her were already hers if she wanted them, but more often than not they were a trial rather than a triumph.

Money? She had more than she would ever need.

Power?

She would never wipe away cities at the swipe of her hand. Would never be Uncle Isbrand who could lay waste to entire citadels at a whim. But she could bend Kings to their knees and Queens to the floor. Was that not enough? Was that not power enough?

Respect.

That was it. She wanted to be more than a pawn. She wanted to be more than a piece of a Chessboard. More than just another thing to be shifted and moved about in the Great Game of Houses. Liliana wanted to be in control. True control.

"I don't know." She admitted with a shrug of her shoulder. "Maybe I'll want more. Maybe I'll take more."

That feeling in her chest, that insatiable desire. She knew not when it would be sated, but she knew she would keep trying. Keep taking, First her father Then her Cousins. Then Vel Anir. Then the world. Then beyond.

A frown flickered over her features as Evlereigh posed her next question. The buzz within her mind still droning on in the background of her might. "I don't want to gamble, Evie."

Liliana said plainly. "I want to win."

• Smug
Everleigh smiled sweetly, smiled knowingly at Liliana.

We all want to win.” She said in agreement. “At least, we think that’s what we want. Many gamblers don’t realize that they’re really there to lose, they’re like a rabbit that needs a hound to remind them that they’re still alive.” Everleigh sat down, suddenly. She needed to. The more time that went on, the less clear her head felt. Which was strange, because she kept telling herself that in a few moments, her head would clear and she would be okay.

I think you could use that more than anyone else could. Even more than I could.” Everleigh added. Yes, that was what she wanted to say, that was where she wanted to lead the conversation. To what Liliana could accomplish.

Next time, I’ll show you.” She murmured. “How gambling is hardly ever left up to things like fate or destiny or luck. It can be the most sure thing in the world.” She sighed, her eyes closing for a moment as she relished in the warmth coursing throughout her body. Liliana was being quite talkative today, it was unusual.

When you destroy my mind, I hope you make it quick.” Her voice was solemn yet steady, and she opened her eyes to rest her violet gaze on Liliana. There was no fear, no bitterness, no remorse, not even a plea in that gaze. It was as if she had already resigned herself to that fate.

• Smug
She listened, she mused. She considered every word that fell from Evie's lips. Curiosity flickered through her, and for a moment she simply felt herself wondering. What did Everleigh mean?

Liliana stared at her companion, watching her.

Then slowly, the words fell from her lips. Those quiet, solemn, accepting words. Violet eyes met pale glaciers as Liliana peered back at Evie. Her face a mask, marble stone carved by the greatest artists of the world. Not even the greatest card players in the world could have read her mind in that moment.

Time seemed to slow.

Stop.

Then finally Liliana answered. Her voice soft as could be. "I promise."

• Cthuulove