Threads open to all members of the Dreadlords group

Kristen Pirian

Pride and Steel
Character Biography
Link
proxy.php

(Art Credit)

VEL NUMERA

Among House Pirian's finest and most productive holdings was that of Vel Numera. Vast and fertile fields surrounded the town, roads and hedgerows and cultivated lines of trees separating them, farmhouses dotting the land and pinning down each farming family's little leased claim of it. Surrounded but for the town's southern end, wherein the Jades sprang up from the land. A small range of craggy mountains—barely so, for they had no snow-capped peaks—where much of the range was almost sheer cliff-faces sprinkled with lush vegetation on its shelves, the occasional goat braving deftly those dizzying edges. The beige stone and green foliage served as a sort of curtain backdrop to Vel Numera's center stage.

Today marked the beginning of the Harvest Festival. The chill of winter was closing in, crops from the fields were all to be harvested before the first snowfalls (only sometimes were the Pirian Stormbringers called to keep said snowfalls in check until then), and in the town proper a celebration of another good year was underway.

Kristen Pirian was one of the few Initiates tasked with providing security during the Harvest Festival. Mayor Arnold Caspian had said that no such measures were necessary, but Fyris Pirian (a cousin of Kristen's, only a few years older than she, and the current holder of the rotating Lordship of Vel Numera) thought otherwise as a precaution, given the little scare Vel Numera had suffered not too long ago with roaming ghouls.

Kristen should have been happy to return.

And she was. She was. Yet...during the journey from the Academy to Vel Numera in the north, this happiness waxed and waned. A great many Pirians had gathered in Vel Numera for the Harvest Festival, so Kristen would be surrounded by family even as she attended to her duty as an Initiate. But of course, the very sight of Vel Numera itself prompted forth memories of Drastus Tal'deneshaar. He whom she had loved. He who never returned from Tyr. In the gloom of midnight hours in her dormitory room at the Academy, Kristen had spent many a night soaking her pillow with tears. Now, returning here, it felt like she was coming physically to acceptance with his death. To step forward into Vel Numera was to move on. Difficult. Bitterly painful. Yet necessary.

She did so.

And for the first time in the journey north, here at their destination, she allowed herself to smile a genuine smile.

FOUNTAIN SQUARE

Already had the Initiates checked in with Mayor Caspian. They had been here for hours now on this first day. The atmosphere was joyous and celebratory, almost in defiance to the thick blanket of gray autumn clouds above. Pirian guardsmen dotted street corners here and there, but it wasn't so out of the ordinary for any other day really.

Quickly enough, the guard duty the Initiates had been assigned to for this week was turning into a little tentative dip into the celebrations and activities themselves (at least for some of them, some were of course rather much duty-minded).

Kristen herself joined in. Easily was she recognized seemingly wherever she went in Vel Numera, murmurs or outright cries of "It's the Darling Daughter!" following after her. One large group of revelers in the Fountain Square proclaimed as much in near unison, and one man, Lindon, whose forearms were perhaps the thickest Kristen had ever seen on a man, waved her forward and into a dance ring all of them had going. At first she politely declined, stating her duty, but Lindon with the strength of those irresistible forearms ushered her in before any further protests could be made. And so Kristen danced for a time, her arms linked upon the shoulders of those to her left and right, spinning round and round in a gigantic circle only to occasionally stop and rhythmically kick out her legs with the whole of the group when the percussive parts of the bards' current tune came around. The "good part," Lindon called it.

By the end, with a rising cheer from all involved, Kristen was panting lightly with effort and exhilaration. She rejoined her fellow Initiates not so far away from the dance circle, still in the Fountain Square.

"My! I should caution myself against too much gaiety. Such merrymaking can be exhausting."

"Vladimir, you simply are too much." Elise said, a giggle wracking her words as she shook her head and rejected the Pirian before her.

The smile on her lips eased her desertion, the humor at his invitation enough to make the thing almost entirely disappear out of hand.

"I'm afraid I demand so much more for a proposal." Laughter echoed from their small table, the other Noble grinning wide. "Perhaps at next years Revolutionary Anniversary, or the tenth centennial."

A smirk crossed her face as she looked at the skinny waif of a man in front of her. "I keep my future husband to high standard you understand."

Some more chuckles erupted from around the table, but Vladimir pulled himself up and flashed Elise a bare smile. She returned the expression, though inwardly cast the man into the abyss for the audacity of what he had done.

In the old days she would have had him executed.

But now? Now she understood the game so much more. A dismissive wave saw the little romantic away, her attention turning back towards the table of nobleman and women.

"One can never really rid themselves of all admirers." A small laugh echoed at the table she found herself seated at. "But I do find the boldness absolutely invigorating."

Elise said with a chuckle of her own.

Such a festival was hardly one to miss. Especially counting all the votes running around.

Vel Numera was...nice, which was often more than he could say about a lot of the other places he had been because of missions. Alistair had grown up in Vel Anir, well the Academy to be specific, which explained a lot of why he was the way that he was. If Kristen had grown up in places like this, then it explained why she was the way that she was.

The people here were friendly and the town had that rural hospitality thing going for it. It was enough to make anyone relax and want to have a good time.

Well, almost anyone. Alistair could still never completely turn off the side of him that knew they were technically on a mission, even if it was an easy one.

The most he could do was he had allowed someone to shove some sort of drink in his hand while Kristen had been off dancing. He had only taken a small sip...It was good.

"Hmm...I'll take your word for it."

"They very much seem to enjoy your presence here, Kristen," Maseno replied to the girl as she rejoined the group after her trot in the dance circle. The young man had, thus far, politely declined any offer that might be seen as a distraction from his duty, but it was hard not to take a moment to watch Kristen revel in the company of her people. Truly, how did one turn away from such a rare sighting?

The young man smiled easily to her, if not a bit curiously before shifting his gaze back to a peripheral scan, "I am curious ... why is it they call you the Darling Daughter?"

From one noble child to another, he had an educated hunch, but it seemed such a name would have a bit of a story behind it.

"Oh, it was—and still is, I suppose—a name I had garnered early in life," Kristen said to Maseno. She brushed at her bangs, tidying them up and away from shielding her eyes. "My mother Josephine and my sister Amelia raised me to be a model Pirian, and shaped as such I was. Mother remarked one day at a large social gathering when I was coming forward to her embrace, 'Here comes my darling daughter!'" She smiled. "Not quite a moniker invested of stunning uniqueness, and yet it attached itself to me nonetheless."

She was in too good of a mood to mention how she had been trying to distance herself from the title in more recent times. The schism was well on its way to being total, as she was already considering the "Darling Daughter" to be a relic of the past. Even a wholly separate person than who she was now.

Kristen glanced to Alistair.

"Is that juice? Wherever did you find it? I am...ha...a little parched."

* * * * *​

Mayor Caspian was in his office, standing close to the open window. He looked out over Vel Numera. Though his face was calm, a small tremor of trepidation shook his spine.

He never heard the footsteps, but he felt the hand on his shoulder. He drew in a sharp breath, startled, but then let it out. About time.

Caspian closed the window. And, in a low hissing whisper, he said to the Unseen Figure, "You have to stop him. Tell him that now is not the time to strike."

The Unseen Figure replied.

"Why can't you people agree on anything!?" Caspian reined himself in, lower his voice back down to a whisper. "Regardless, you must convince him. This will be too much at once! It will ruin everything. For Kress's sake, there's Dreadlords in town again."

The Unseen Figure replied.

"No, I'm not talking about the Initiates. Or the young one. I'm talking about—"

The Unseen Figure interrupted.

"What do you mean he knows her? Please tell me that means he at least has a plan for his madness."

And the Unseen Figure explained.

Caspian's face pinched with hard reluctance. "Goddamn it. Just...ahhhh...what can you do to delay him? This needs to be played right, or you all will have the wrath of not just House Pirian descending on you, but that of House Virak, House Luana, hell, even bloody House Krixus!"

The Unseen Figure considered. Then spoke. The window opened seemingly of its own accord.

Caspian's expression dropped. "No...no, no, no, wait!"

Gone.

Maseno Luana Alistair Krixus Elise Virak

As much as she adored the gilded halls of the Capital, there was something rather charming about settings such as these.

Oh she despised the disgusting environment. Muck and mud nearly everywhere, filthy unwashed peasants mingling just a few meters away, insects and the incessant sounds of wilderness. Not even to mention the horrid smells in the air, but even she had to admit people did tend to open up far more in a place such as this.

"Think of it as a gift." Elise said, taking a small sip of her wine.

The man opposite her chewed on the words, an expression of utter consternation marking his face.

"My Lady I'm not sure I can-"​

"Of course you can." Elise said with a dismissive wave. "Petric, I insist. Truly. The land is worthless to me, a useless parcel my father kept. If you truly insist on paying me, then give me favorable terms on the first few crops.. More than that I won't need."

She smiled at him. "Other than that, please just take what I am offering."

For a moment more the man hesitated, and then he offered a quick nod. The greed flickering almost too obviously through his eyes.

"If you insist! If you insist. Oh thank you my Lady."

"Um, here have this one." Alistair offered Kristen the beverage, even though he was sure that it was partially alcoholic and not just juice.

Alistair chuckled at the explanation that Kristen provided to Maseno, those that knew Kristen would know that the nickname was obvious just by speaking with her for a few minutes. The difference now though was that the 'Darling Daughter' could also kill an orc with a look and a wave of her hands.

He did not know much of Maseno, besides being of House Luana. He would be in his final year at the Academy, a position that he himself has only recently graduated from. So far, from what he could tell, he liked the man. He carried himself the way a noble and a Dreadlord should.

"The people here are incredibly nice and they know how to have a good time. Is the festival always so active?"

As he was asking the question, he spotted someone whom he had not expected to see but should have. Elise Virak, seeming completely out of place in this rural outlier town in a beautiful dress, was currently socializing with what he could only assume were some other nobles.

He locked eyes with her for only a moment but remembered the service she had extended to him when he needed it the most. Alistair offered her a polite bow from a distance.

Maseno Luana Kristen Pirian Elise Virak

Everyone in the Academy was aware that Kristen's enrollment had been completely and utterly unorthodox. Brought in so late in her years, she'd experienced an entire childhood bereft of the pain, suffering, torture, and sacrifice that her fellow Initiates had endured. Listening to her story about the origins of her nickname made this fact all the more real and true to Maseno.

He, like many others, had been given to the Academy at an age far too young to remember where they came from. But unlike many others, Maseno had been given fortuitous opportunities to reconnect with his family through missions. Not to mention, he'd had his sister's presence at the school for a time as well - before her disappearance.

Mase pushed that thought from his mind, "At least is brings to mind pleasant memories, no?" he offered in return to Kristen, a wane smile on his face.

His attention shifted while she quenched her thirst on questionable juice, turning to Alistair before following the young Dreadlord's gaze over to- "Is that," he began quietly, leaning toward Krixus, "is that Lady Virak? I have only seen her likeness in paintings."

Kristen gratefully accepted the juice, and upon tipping the cup to her lips she discovered that, yes, there was a slight burn of spirits. She ought to be careful not to drink too much of it, no more than this one cup. Seeking out different refreshments later would be good—reveling as she had in the dance circle was all fine and well, but stumbling around the streets of Vel Numera wouldn't do at all.

"Mmm," Kristen grunted in agreement with Maseno, finishing her drink and lowering the cup. "Pleasant memories, fondly recalled."

And then to Alistair: "Oh yes. Twice before in my childhood have I occasioned Vel Numera during the Harvest Festival, and here now with this third makes the unbroken pattern. 'Tis a great time for celebration, with the close of the year and the bounty of crops ready to—"

Maseno stole her attention, his gaze elsewhere and voice wondering. Kristen followed the track of his eyes and spotted at a round table, ringed by various members of various retinues, of whom he was speaking. That round table had a number of nobles sat at it, but one among them stood out in stark relief.

"I..." she considered it for a moment longer, "oh, I believe that it is so, yes. Lady Elise Virak herself, come to grace the Harvest Festival. My, what esteemed personages the Festival has attracted this year! Oh! Mayhap this means Uncle Tobias shall be coming too!"

Elise Virak Alistair Krixus Maseno Luana

Elise continued to speak with those around her. She engaged one noble after another in quiet conversation, never bringing up the topic of politics unless they did first.

She smiled, she laughed, she was as congenial as could be.

The deceit, if it was even such a thing, came easily. Her surroundings were utterly disgusting, but there was something thrilling in stepping outside of her comfort zone. There always was. Though this festival was hardly a pirate ship, it was amusing in it's own sort of way.

"Geoffrey, you are simply too much." Elise said, trying to stifle what was nearly a cackle as the man told an entirely inappropriate joke.

"Ah, I am sorry my Lady. I forget such things aren't heard in the halls of the Golden Rose."

The Baroness only shook her head with a long sigh.

"No, they most certainly are not." She smiled wickedly. "But don't worry, I won't tell Alma."

A wide grin spread on the man's lips as he nodded and gave her thanks. Offering an invitation to the Hunt he was leading next week. Elise told him she would consider it, and then promptly excused herself as a man came up and whispered in her ear. She bid Geoffrey farewell, then stood from the table and began to walk towards the edge of the Festival.

"Uh, yes. She has quite the...aura about her."

Alistair said with a shrug as he turned back to the others. No need to make to much of an event out of it. She had simply helped him with something, and that was all.

"The pictures do not do her justice." He would leave it at that.

He looked back to Kristen with a raised eyebrow.

"I take it that the Festival tends to be Pirian nobles and that is it? Maybe the Republic encourages nobles to do a bit more...campaigning."

Kristen Pirian Maseno Luana Elise Virak

Last edited:
Watching the Lady for a few moments longer, Maseno broke his stare to look back to Kristen. Her excitability was curious and perhaps even a bit unique among the Initiates, but of course he had to assume that was due to her very unique ... upbringing and start in the Academy.

"How exciting this must be for you, Kristen," Maz replied with a smile and a glance to Alistair, "campaigning ... or perhaps networking." While he had very little knowledge or experience with the noble houses at large and the court of games they all played, he heard enough gossip from his own family to have an understanding that the revolution had forced the houses to start playing nice.

"Seems every house could find reason for better public relations."

• Yay
Reactions: Kristen Pirian
Campaigning. Networking. To Kristen, two ways of giving proof to the old saying: the more things change, the more they stay the same. The noble life was one of many connections, one embroiled in social affairs. As it was under the way of Houses, so was it now under the Republic.

In that spirit, of course, came the inevitable idea, as Kristen noticed Elise breaking away from her gathering and walking across the Fountain Square.

"Might it be grand if we were to go and introduce ourselves?" Kristen said. "Elise is quite gracious, from my understanding."

Could there perhaps be something of a tangle in the fabric of this idea for Maseno? Possibly. House Luana and House Virak found themselves on the opposite sides of the old Alliance; and, not to mention, Mother often brought up the feuds between Luana and Virak as particularly pointed examples of bad blood. But Elise did have a good reputation, and Kristen trusted that she would lead House Virak in a different direction than her deceased father.

Between House Virak and House Pirian, though? 'Twas a different story, else Kristen would have had a much more difficult time attempting to board the Ironclad with Edric that long while ago.

Without much waiting for an answer, since the window of opportunity was slim, Kristen briskly walked to intercept Elise with or without Alistair and Maseno. If anything, making cordial acquaintance wouldn't take long if they decided they did not want to come.

"Pardon me, Lady Virak, for my intrusion, but," Kristen stood primly, bringing to bear all of the exacting training for proper Lady-like posture her Mother had imposed on her, "I simply wished to properly and formally introduce myself."

She curtsied.

"Kristen Lucretia Pirian, daughter of Lord Neil Taeris Pirian and Lady Josephine Juliet Pirian, pleased that I might personally welcome you to Vel Numera and, as well, exchange a few cordial words with one of such preeminence as yourself."

Elise Virak Alistair Krixus Maseno Luana

• Bless
Reactions: Maseno Luana
Sometimes, fate twisted in just the right way, and sometimes it needed just a little bit of a nudge. "Kristen, of course!"

Genuine warmth encapsulated every word that Elise spoke, the wide beaming smile on her face a perfection reflection of her mood. She took half a step back, eyes flickering up and down Kristen's form as though she were appraising the young Initiate.

"I have been told so very much about you." She mused, seemingly quite pleased about something, though never mentioning who it might have been that told. "What an absolute joy that I would find you here."

Elise continued, smiling still. "Your family has been nothing less than completely gracious, and truly the pride they hold when they speak of you."

The Baroness chuckled.

"One would start to think Val was the black sheep." She said, practically chortling but utterly genuine.

Well, Masena was partially right. Technically, all the nobles could benefit from better public relations, but only the Great houses and a few of the more successful minor houses could interact with the public to such a degree as this. Many of the smaller minor houses had to be content with good words, and wise business choices with their remaining assets.

It wasn't that minor houses did not like to do public good, but the average people cared about 'stuff'. Being given things was the way to a regular citizen's heart. Otherwise, everyone would be kissing hands and shaking babies to look good.

Alistair followed Kristen with a light smile on his face at her excitement. She had told him that she wanted to prove herself with Vel Numera and this was a great start. Still, Alistair could not help but let the small smile drop from his face as his face became stoic.

Elise Virak was awe-inspiring. He could not help but be impressed with her anytime he saw her because her smile felt so genuine, and it so easily manipulated others. However, Alistair also knew about the other side of her. The one that was willing to do the dirty work, the side willing to help him kill his father. He wondered what that truly dark side of hers looked like...He hoped he never found out.

"Good day, Lady Virak. A pleasure to see you."

Humming a tune and traipsing down the street with a pep in his step, Percival "Val" Anatolius Pirian admired the surroundings of his family's pride and joy, Vel Numera. His long, dark gray duster swung in the breeze and his boots clomped merrily as he went, enjoying the sunshine and greenery. Truly this was the culmination of everything his Great House had worked and been responsible for, a gleaming example of what Pirian commitment meant for greater Vel Anir. The heir apparent of Lord Tobias took a large bite out of a sizeable apple, letting the juices cascade over his taste buds. Damn if the literal fruits of Pirian labor weren't sweet.

Val's father had sent him down to "oversee" events as the Harvest Festival progressed, but everyone likely already knew that Val was going to be spending most of his time as a socialite more than anything else. This was a celebratory event, after all, and there were administrative folks like good old Mayor Caspian to take care of the fine details. Today was a day to relax and enjoy the nostalgia that came with seeing Vel Numera's sights. And where better to visit next than the Fountain Square, of course?

There was no fanfare for Val as he meandered, no doting nor fawning. Val was a layabout, and lowkey was how he preferred to keep things. Unless, of course, Elise was involved. And looking across the square, that unmistakable platinum blond updo radiated like a shiny gold piece under a sunbeam. Ah, but who was that next to her, that tall, armored--ah! Val's face lit up. How positively fortuitous!

With not a shred of grace, Val swaggered across the square and wrapped his free arm around Elise Virak's side, a great, smug grin upon his countenance.
"I happen to take pride in that moniker, Elise!" He beamed before taking another bite out of his apple and offering the woman a wink. "They say dark wools hold heat better, when winter comes I'll be the envy of the whole family."

He was quick to let Elise go; she had an image to maintain, of course, and just because they were old friends didn't mean she was any less likely to slap him for invading her space. That was fine, of course; she'd come around eventually. Besides! There was a much needed hug to deliver, and deliver Val did.

"Kristen, my graces, look at you! Anirius, I swear you get taller every time I see you." Val was all warmth as he greeted his cousin, a reunion long in the making. "And just look at you, all done up in this armor, toting the family emblem! Eva must be positively gushing over you!"

A quick glance past his cousin revealed that she was with company, fellow initiates it seemed. Whoops!
"Ah, and you've got friends, as well. We simply all must get acquainted!"

Might it be grand if we were to go and introduce ourselves? Kristen said. Elise is quite gracious, from my understanding.

Not one to be shy or left behind, Maseno followed the lead of Alistair to join Kristen in the presence of the Lady Virak. That there may have been bad blood between the Luana's and Virak's held no sway to the Initiate. Far enough removed from the family was he that such things barely even touched his life. For certain he'd heard his family members make remarks, but Maseno liked to make up his own mind about things.

And about people.

Both Kristen and Alistair seemed to hold the Lady in good regards, which was a good sign at the very least. Kristen seemed the earnest type and Al? Well, he did not know Alistair well but two goodly impressions was better than none.

"Good Lady," Maseno bowed alongside Alistair but was content to leave Kristin to the limelight of Elise's attention. In fact while the two ladies were busy, he took this moment to remind himself of their duties here - his amber gaze shifted away from them to survey the surrounding square and the festivities buzzing about them. Merriment and joy permeated the air and buildings and, thus far, not a single thing seemed to be amiss. That was good. He did not hunger for action in such a warm and innocent event.

Ah, and youve got friends, as well. We simply all must get acquainted!

A dark brow tipped upwards at the man as he found his gaze directly upon him. Offering a cordial smile, Maseno bowed to him as well, "Maseno Luana, Initiate of the Academy, Sir. Pleasure to meet you."

Kristen's heart soared with effervescence. First from Lady Virak's kind words, and second from the sudden appearance of her cousin Val. Oh she wasn't sure if Val could make it this year to Vel Numera's Harvest Festival! Truly fortune was hers today, surrounded as she was by warm company.

She didn't remember gasping with delight when Val had presented himself to the scene, but her hands were still over her mouth and nose. She swept forward and wrapped her arms about Val in a quick embrace when he finished speaking. She pulled back, the tips of her fingers still touching Val's shoulder, as Maseno introduced himself; likewise would she allow Alistair to do the same.

And then she would say, "What grand company we have assembled here! Though the three of us," a crescent-shaped sweep of her hand from Maseno to Alistair and back to herself, "are laden with duty, perhaps we might all enjoy a brief dinner later this evening? Val? Lady Virak? What say you?"

Elise Virak Alistair Krixus Maseno Luana Val Pirian

"Young Lord Krixus." Elise said with a bow of her head. "I heard of your fathers passing."

If she could have avoided it, Elise would not have spoken with Alistair for some months. It would have been better to create distance after the lies she'd spun in public forums to keep his secret, but alas fate was never as kind as one needed it to be.

Thus she embraced the other side of the coin. "You have my sympathies. I know well the sting of a lost father."

Elise said with a said smile, then continued. "I did not know him, but I am sure his son will deliver great things."

Her expression lingered on the Initiate for a moment more before she cast her eyes on the young scion of House Luana. She dipped her head in an acknowledgment of his bow, and was about to part her lips to speak when the Black Sheep interrupted her.

A wide, beaming smile spread across her lips as Val stepped into the conversation. Her hip swinging into him as she was pressed into a forceful embrace. A playful slap struck his arm, and she let out a chuckle.

"Do be careful, Val. You don't want to make anyone jealous." Elise continued, stepping back ever so slightly as Kristen practically rushed her cousin.

A strange sort of feeling flickered through her stomach as she watched the scene.

Her mind instantly floated towards Erich, his children. A strange sort of longing settling in for just a second before she managed to crush the emotion. Her face returning to it's mask as Kristen made her suggestion lips curling into a smile.

"What a delightful idea." Elise praised.

Her father would never have seen the sense in such a thing of course. He would have balked at spending time with Dreadlord Initiates, even if they were the children of Nobility. But Elise was different. She knew, she understood, she saw the opportunity which presented itself in the children of Luana and Pirian. Not to mention the second string she could tie around the Krixus boy.

Besides, she truly did miss Val. They hardly ever saw one another anymore. "If only Aisling had attended, we could have had a proper picture of old versus new."

Elise said with a laugh.

The flurry of activity that came with the new arrival was enough to make Alistair pause. Not necessarily because of any particular way he acted, but because this was only the third Pirian he had met. One was Kristen, one was her father who he rudely woke up in the middle of the night using a lightning bolt sent through a mirror. Val seemed a little less stiff compared to the other two examples.

"Alistair Krixus, a pleasure to meet you."

He looked at Elise for a moment and then simply offered a slight bow and said "Thank you for your kind words." There was nothing left to say. Anything else he tried to say would likely sound flat compared to the way that Elise made everyone believe every word she spoke. All he could offer was the kind smile that many offered when they wanted to acknowledge what the other person said, but they were not truly happy. That felt correct for the situation.

"A meal sounds nice after all this is done." It had been some time since Alistair had a chance to enjoy food that wasn't the exquisite gruel that the Academy served.

My how times had changed! Kristen might've bowled Val over if he hadn't been prepared for the impact. It was wonderful to see her in such high spirits, and (mostly) intact.

Val counted himself lucky that he'd gotten away with but a love tap from Elise, and shot her a devious grin at her comment.
"Oh, let their gazes linger. I quite like the idea of earning envy over your attentions, my lady." He teased, ever the incorrigible flirt.

Elise had voiced her approval of Kristen's suggestion, and Val found himself agreeing. Dinner with family beyond his mother and father was a rarity these days, and quality time with his young cousin sounded wonderful.
"I, for one, would be delighted to have a quaint little gathering over supper."

Maseno and Alistair's introductions briefly surprised the heir to House Pirian. He hadn't realized there were quite so many noble satellites orbiting in Academy affairs. It was both interesting and relieving somehow that he hadn't been shipped off as a child as well. Only recently had he been able to be up front and honest about having any sort of magic; in the old ways he or his parents might've been strung up for treason.
"Goodness me, my apologies to both you young lords." Val regarded them both, offering each a polite handshake and friendly smile. "It is my utmost pleasure to meet the both of you; Maseno, my father can't say enough about how delighted he's been working with Zana and your family in the dawn of our new republic. And Alistair, you have both my condolences and my congratulations; to be both a near-graduate of the Academy and burgeoning noble patriarch is so small feat nor responsibility!"

Invited to dinner. Well, this day was taking a turn he'd not expected.

"It would be an honor to share a meal once the festivities have ended."

Maseno was not accustomed to being treated as the nobility he was. Not beyond his own family, anyway. The polite greeting and handshake visibly ruffled the young man and he faltered briefly in receiving it. The faint hesitation in the hand of a stranger coming at him - not quite a flinch, no. But a reflexive moment of calculation before his mind realized what was happening.

He took Val's hand firmly and shook it once, "Thank you Sir," he gave the man a nod, "I will be sure to pass along the sentiments next I speak with them."

A glance fell Alistair's way at the mention of condolences for the death of the former Krixus patriarch.

"Alistair ... I was not aware. You chose the reserves, then? To tend to your House?"

Last edited:
Dinner! It was settled, then.

Many kind words were exchanged among the five of them (again, what an illustrious array of nobility, assembled here by chance in lovely Vel Numera!) but the meeting was to be cut a little short. Almost prophetic with her mentioning of herself, Maseno, and Alistair being laden with duty, Kristen saw in the corner of her eye a messenger approaching. There was some slight hesitation on his face, mostly with regard to Elise, the head of a great House, being present. But he came forward and bowed deeply.

"Pardon the intrusion, Lady Kristen," he said, "but your cousin Fyris, our Lord of Vel Numera, has requested to see you. He is within his office chamber."

Hopefully, it wasn't about another ghoul sighting after all this time. Or anything which might spoil the plans for the evening.

Kristen smiled to Elise and Val. Said, "Until dinner, then, shall we part." She gave another curtsy to Elise, hugged Val another time, and turned to leave with her fellow Initiate and the Dreadlord.

The Pirian Manor in Vel Numera wouldn't be so far of a walk from Fountain Square. Plenty of time then for Alistair to again tell of the tragic fate of his father to Maseno, and of the lot he inherited with Lordship of House Krixus. Kristen stayed quiet for now, letting Alistair answer.

She knew quite a bit of him since their talks in Ostia Anir.

Alistair Krixus Maseno Luana Elise Virak Val Pirian

Alistair quickly shook Val's hand and thanked him for his kind words. He was getting more and more useful to all of this noble etiquette. Kind words are always spoken whether people really cared or not. Alistair spent far more time these days doing more paperwork than actual Dreadlord activities. He missed the days when he could just stab things and be done.

He nodded to both Val and Elise in farewell before following his fellow Dreadlords. He sighed as he realized he would have to explain all of this again. His face entered a rather stoic expression as he began to talk about this subject. Not mad, but not happy either.

"Yes, my father died in recent months and as his only heir. I am now the patriarch of House Krixus...Our family has been suffering in hard times in recent years, with my father essentially handling everything by himself. So, I have to take a little time off from my chosen career to get the family under control. Once I find some people better suited to running the family than I then I will return to my full-time duties."

That was all fine when he said it out loud, but it was proving to be much more difficult than Alistair thought. The Krixus family had long operated in the red with several loans from far than noble lenders. Even the little family land that the estate in the country was built on was being pressured by surrounding landowners.

Maseno Luana Kristen Pirian

Wonderful.

An opportunity to tie a few more strings, ingratiate herself further, and perhaps even settle a score. What a lovely day it was turning out to be in this mud crusted shit hole. "You should truly be pleased, Val."

Elise said, her voice nothing less than pleasant.

"Kristen has come very far." She looked over to one of her oldest friends. The expression of warmth in her face more genuine than most could ever hope for from her. "Little Liliana told me of her early struggles."

As she spoke the Baroness glanced after Kristen and her departing peers.

Information about what happened in the Academy was hard to come by, even for the nobles of the Great Houses. The Proctors had always been rather secretive, though that had changed somewhat with the advent of the Republic's new ways.

Not that it had ever stood in Liliana's path. Her little cousin really was quite clever. "She seems to have adapted well."

Elise commented, before slowly turning back towards Val.

"Escort me back to the party?" She asked, offering the heir to Pirian her arm.