Dreadlords The Pride of Vel Numera

Threads open to all members of the Dreadlords group
Yes, my father died in recent months and as his only heir. I am now the patriarch of House Krixus...Our family has been suffering in hard times in recent years, with my father essentially handling everything by himself. So, I have to take a little time off from my chosen career to get the family under control. Once I find some people better suited to running the family than I then I will return to my full-time duties.

"That sounds like a great challenge," Maseno replied thoughtfully after several moments to think on Alistair's situation, "I am certain you are up to meeting it. If I can assist you in any way," the younger man gestured to his older peer with an open hand of offering. Condolences helped no one, so far as he could see. Saying sorry for another's loss had never made much of any sense to him.

Maz didn't have much to give in ways of finances or advice, but his own family did.

"The Republic needs its noble houses to be strong now, more than ever. I can connect you with my parents, if they could be of any help to you."

Likely it was that it never became easy for Alistair to speak of his father's ill-fated passing. How could it? A dreadful thing, and one that made Kristen shudder with fright to even entertain. What terrible grief, a dagger whose sharpness could never be matched even by the worst of tortures in the Academy's old way, to lose a loved one so close.

But Maseno was supportive. And Kristen was glad for it! After the horrid greeting with Bull brought on her by her early naivete, and after a good year of other poor first impressions, Kristen tried to maintain a certain level of caution when interacting with Initiates whom she did not know particularly well. Fortunately, Maseno did not seem to be cut from any malicious cloth. He'd a refreshingly gentle nature to him. My, what a relief! That at least some Initiates of the Academy dispensed with the oppressive notion that they ought to be as rough with their allies as they were with their enemies!

The Republic needs its noble houses to be strong now, more than ever.

"Well said," Kristen concurred.

And then, after his offer of networking, she looked to Alistair and said, "Oh! A fine opportunity, I would say. And know as well that I will vouch for you, Alistair, on any occasion to House Pirian."

Alistair Krixus Maseno Luana

• Bless
Reactions: Maseno Luana
Alistair smiled at both of them nodding his thanks at their offers for assistance. "Oh, thank you both for your offers of kindness, but I am determined to build up my house with my own two hands."

It was the only response that he could offer that he thought sounded remotely polite. Maybe Alistair was just being to cautious. Maseno and Kristen were both two genuinely kind people, and with their backing, this entire process would likely be easy.

However, Alistair was not a genuinely kind person. He saw daggers when there were none to see. He saw blood being spilled when he drove such a dagger through his father's throat. He, individually, was already indebted to Elise Virak for her help in the matter.

He would try with all his might to ensure that his house did not become dependent or a subsidiary of one of the other Great Houses. While Maseno and Kristen could be kind, that did stretch to include everyone in their families. If Alistair was not warry, then he and his family would quickly become disposable tools for the games that the Great Houses played and he would not even realize it.

"I am confident that I will succeed. Who knows? When I return, I will host the both of you to show my own improvements."

Maseno Luana Kristen Pirian

Give it to a Dreadlord to turn down any favors. Maseno granted Alistair a knowing smile, "I respect that, truly."

The strength House Krixus could find in establishing its own foundations was great. After all, most of the great houses had done the same.

"And I look forward to attending - but, maybe not on Guard duty?" Maz's smile fixed into a half grin as he glanced to Kristen, "Not that I mind the opportunity to travel to such events, even for assignments."

• Popcorn
Reactions: Kristen Pirian
And so they went their separate ways once more, initiates with initiates and, well, non-Dreadlord nobles with like. Val was always pleased to have Elise's company, of course, and so rarely did he get the opportunity to visit with her when they were by themselves.

"You're more than right, Elise. It's marvelous to see her blossoming like this." He answered, following the trail of the Baroness' vision. A somber smile bridged his mien. "We were all worried for her at first, of course, but she's coming along so splendidly."

All the information he, his parents, and his aunt and uncle had was either first hand from Kristen's writings or through Evangeline's diligent tracking of her progress. He was thankful that Eva had been kind enough to keep Kristen's parents informed that their daughter was both alive and well during the time she'd entered into this peculiar form of education.

"In no time I'm sure she'll be what I should have been: a shining beacon for my House's future." He eyed Elise a moment after uttering those words, a very serious look on his face. A look he could not maintain for more than a few seconds before breaking into a light-hearted laugh, and a return to his usual, jovial facade.

Val graciously took Elise's arm in his own and began to traipse his way to their destination.
"You know I'd never give up an opportunity to be in such close proximity with you." He smirked down at Elise. His eyebrows popped up as he recalled a particularly bold plot by one of his near-distant relatives, Vladimir...what was he, a third cousin, twice removed? It was hard to keep track of. "Oh, I do hope cousin Vlad sees, I imagine the look of envy on his face would be priceless. Didn't let him down too hard now, did you?"

"I didn't break his leg if that's what you mean." Since the loss of her husband Elise had been throwing off suitors for years. Always she gave some excuse. Sometimes that she was still in mourning, that she could not bare to be wed to someone else, and sometimes that marriage itself now seemed so impossible.

But the truth was she had simply yet to meet her match, and her father was no longer around to force her into wedlock.

Elise was not against marriage, not with the right person, but none had proven themselves an equal. "The vultures circle every day now."

There was a hint of bitterness to her voice, but she looked to Val. "And I am sorry to say your cousin was one of them."

Her head shook.

"They see a woman in charge of so much wealth and think it an opportunity for themselves." A long sigh escaped her lips. "It is the same for Aisling, and I imagine even for that Luana ditz."

She could not help the small barb at her ancient enemy.

Kristen found herself unoffended by Alistair's rejection of their offers. Indeed, much like Maseno, she respected Alistair's decision. More so, she (gosh!) was finding herself enamored by it. Among people in harsh conditions, there could be an unbecoming, self-centered drive to take advantage of others. Even in fairer conditions, sad to say, ruthlessness could be the rule of the day, the well-to-do further enriching their own prospects by predating on the kindness or generosity of others. Alistair most certainly was not a one, even if the old teachings of the Academy may have encouraged it.

She felt a pleasant warmth blossom in her chest, genuinely affected by Alistair's determination.

...but, maybe not on Guard duty?

Kristen covered her mouth with the back of her hand and giggled. "Yes, surely not!" And then to Alistair, "I look forward to the day when such an invitation graces my hands."

Through the festive streets they walked. The Pirian Manor came quickly enough into view upon rounding the corner of an intersection (all four of said corners filled with vendors selling various drinks and confections, almost dueling for the attentions of potential customers). Here in Vel Numera the Manor was not extravagant, not a full Estate, but indeed larger than the surrounding buildings. Stately, but modest. No surrounding wall or courtyard, but two Pirian-sworn guards posted by the door. All and all, as far nobility typically went, it was a dwelling amongst the people.

Kristen walked up toward the door. The guards, seeing her, each bowed slightly in deference. One of the guards was about to open the door for her when—

Maseno Luana Alistair Krixus

—the door opened from the inside.

Dreadlord Ventress stood in the doorway. The hand which had opened the door slowly receded behind her, folding there in the small of her back, that firm military stance her wont.

"Initiates," she said coolly. And with regard to Alistair: "Dreadlord."

Her brow was harshly furrowed. She was irritated at something. Perhaps the presence of Kristen, Maseno, and Alistair, perhaps something else.

"What are you doing here."

She already knew the answer to the question. But she wanted to hear their answers.

Alistair smiled at the two of them, both of them too kind to even see any sort of insult that might be misunderstood from his words. He just shook his head in amazement and continued along the road.

Vel Numera was impressive. Small and quaint, but with a well-put-together feel. It was what he imagined the Krixus estate to look like if he ever got everything working properly within his family.

He nodded to the soldiers as they neared the door, but quickly found himself standing up a bit straighter at seeing Ventress appear. What was she doing here? Was someone from House Sirl nearby?

"Lord Fyris requested to speak with us Dreadlord Ventress," Alistair explained with a simple and exact answer. Ventress was a no-nonsense Dreadlord, which made her one of the simplest to understand for Alistair, who would much prefer if more people acted like the serious Dreadlord.

Kristen Pirian Maseno Luana

Last edited:
It was a day of delightful surprises.

Dreadlord Ventress.

Maseno did not realize just how much his bright amber eyes had widened after landing on the woman's pristine visage. Thank the many Aspects of Eshva that Alistair had enough wits about him to supply an appropriate response - even if he wasn't sure it was exactly correct.

Had they been summoned or had Kristen, specifically?

He thought he heard the messenger say her uncle wanted to see her, not them.

Either way, his already straight posture shifted an imperceptible degree taller, straighter. A short nod of concurrence to support Alistair's response. He was most certainly staring.

Politely.

She scrutinized Alistair when he spoke, recalling his performance in Vel Tenebria. It was satisfactory. He did not hesitate to carry out orders. He did not balk at what was commanded of him. Good. There would be no room for mercy here, if her investigation showed results here in Vel Numera.

Ventress dismissed the other two, the Initiates. They were unproven. Beneath consideration as combat capable. What paltry missions the fragile Academy of today may have sent them on meant nothing to her.

A small glance to Kristen then, and a curt comment, "Your cousin is mentally deficient."

The Pirian girl was an unimpressive Initiate, and an unimpressive noble. That look on her face. A Sirl noblewoman would have tenfold the composure, for she would have been raised with resilience in mind.

Ventress said to Alistair then: "Remain vigilant here, Dreadlord."

And without warning Ventress stepped out of the Manor and past the three of them (she didn't deign to weave around anyone, no, Kristen, the Darling Daughter of House Pirian in one of its most prestigious holdings, had to hop out of her way), proceeding down the street whence they had come, her pure white uniform and firm stature marking her out amongst all around her as she went.

Your cousin is mentally deficient.

Kristen couldn't help it. The comment struck with such savage surprise that her jaw dropped open. Yet she dared not say anything. She didn't know who exactly that was, but she knew enough from the woman's demeanor, the unnatural golden hue of her eyes, from how she addressed the three of them, that she was a Dreadlord of some important standing.

And as it was for Proctors coming through one's space, Kristen hastily made way for Ventress when she left. For a moment she watched her go, still baffled (and still indignant over the comment made about Fyris!)

She looked between Alistair and Maseno.

"I...I don't...who...?"

Yes, still baffled.

Alistair always remained a vigilante, but his fellow Dreadlord's words were enough to send a shiver down his spine. He had assumed this festival was a simple affair, but if Ventress was advising vigilance then that likely meant she was looking for someone. What we be so important that they would send someone like her?

He remained in silence as he thought through some of the information in his head before looking over at the baffled Kristen and he could only smirk.

"Don't worry about it. That is how she treats all of the initiates. You just have to prove her wrong."

That was a lot easier said than done considering Alistair had only done that while almost dying inside a collapsing underground city while being chased down by assassins.

"Let's quickly speak with your cousin."

Alistair stepped inside, eager to learn why Ventress held such a low opinion of the man.

Best to keep one's mouth shut and thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt.

Maseno couldn't say the silence of his had been on purpose or if Ventress' sudden appearance into his day had taken his ability to speak away. Regardless, she pressed on through them at such close proximity that he caught the tailwind of scent wafting after her. Crisp, light, sterile. Images of white linen bedsheets freshly pressed into an immaculately made bed came to mind.

The bleached environment of a medical wing.

The cold edge of a freshly honed and oiled steel blade.

Hnnf.

The young Initiate's lips hugged sideways onto a smirk of warm admiration and then quickly blinked back to the present at Kristen's confused stammer.

"Dreadlord Ventress," Maseno informed her with a slow, honeyed purr of an undertone in his deep tamber. This was turning out to be one of the best days he'd had in a while - since his sister returned to the Academy, he surmised. Smiling to himself, Maz turned on his heel to follow Alistair in, holding an arm up to allow Kristen to go before him.

"Strange that she's here," he remarked as the door closed behind them, "I cannot imagine a Dreadlord of her caliber would be posted for duty." That would be a right offense to her abilities and tenure - though he didn't wish to offend Kristen by saying so.

Between Alistair and Maseno, Kristen sketched a better notion of who the white-haired Dreadlord was in her mind. And it was strange as to why she was here—there had been no mention of her from the Proctors at the Academy, and she apparently did not deign to check in with Captain Rennil of the Vel Numera guard, for he certainly would have told them. Still, how rude! Yes, Fyris did have a ribbing nickname ascribed to him, Forgetful Fyris, but there was no need to be so mean-spirited about it!

"Right," Kristen said, coincidentally a servicably enough answer for both what Alistair had said, Let's quickly speak with your cousin, and what Maseno had said, Can't imagine she would be posted for duty here. On the latter point, yes, the concerns of the Harvest Festival scarcely warranted so powerful a Dreadlord as she. Things were well in hand with the Pirian-sworn guard and the three of them.

The Pirian Manor's interior, much like its outward appearance, was homey and quaint. Understated was the prevailing rule of the decor. Kristen had a contrast in her mind of the Banick Estate in Ostia Anir (recently enough visited) which was more in the expected aristocratic tradition of extravagance. So long had it been since she had stepped foot within these walls that it seemed an experience both old and new.

Up the stairs.

Polite waves to the guardsmen and servants and town notables inside who recognized her and rendered their respects.

All the way to that same door, both old and new. Father had taken her inside this office chamber before, explained to her how Vel Numera functioned for House Pirian, many, many years ago.

Kristen opened it, and there sitting at his desk was Fyris Pirian, idly playing with a cat's craddle. His beard was still styled in the fashion of the far distant Nordenfiir people, one of his current fascinations. The little games and distractions like the cat's craddle, the wandering fascinations on various subjects, perfectly did they describe Fyris's "leadership" habits, for he very much preferred to let Mayor Caspian and Captain Rennil run essentially all of Vel Numera's affairs. Aloof was the single most effective word to describe him, truth be told, and, with some degree of inevitable sorrow now, Kristen likened Fyris to Raf for how similar their demeanors happened to be.

Fyris hadn't noticed their entrance yet, even though they were all very much inside the office chamber and very much conspicuous.

Kristen cleared her throat. Said a little louder than normal, "Fyris."

He looked up. "Oh! Oh, oh, oh, yes, Kristen there you are."

She smiled as Fyris got up, put down his cat's cradle and came over and they embraced in a long familial hug. They parted, and then Fyris first looked to Alistair, "I don't...think we've met?"

And then to Maseno. "Ah! But you must be Drastus. We are well met again."

Kristen's eyes pinched shut and her lips mashed together as her head dropped and hung, feeling in equal parts the sting of loss, embarrassment, and awkwardness from Fyris's glaring mistake.

Alistair immediately did not like the man. It was one thing to be quiet or to let more qualified individuals do the job they were given, but it was another to be...oblivious.

He reached out and took the man's hand with a firm handshake, maybe a little tighter than it needed to be. A thin pressed smile was forced onto his lips.

"Alistair Krixus, third-level Dreadlord. That, sir, is Initiate Maseno Luana." He wanted to try and bypass the inevitable awkwardness that would come from Fyris' mistake. That still left one question to Alistair. How did this man know Drastus? Alistair shot a glance toward Kristen but said nothing.

I didnt break his leg if thats what you mean. Since the loss of her husband Elise had been throwing off suitors for years. Always she gave some excuse. Sometimes that she was still in mourning, that she could not bare to be wed to someone else, and sometimes that marriage itself now seemed so impossible.

But the truth was she had simply yet to meet her match, and her father was no longer around to force her into wedlock.

Elise was not against marriage, not with the right person, but none had proven themselves an equal. The vultures circle every day now.

There was a hint of bitterness to her voice, but she looked to Val. And I am sorry to say your cousin was one of them.

Her head shook.

They see a woman in charge of so much wealth and think it an opportunity for themselves. A long sigh escaped her lips. It is the same for Aisling, and I imagine even for that Luana ditz.

She could not help the small barb at her ancient enemy.
"Ha! Well he ought to consider himself lucky, then," Val chuckled, walking merrily in stride with the mistress of House Virak.

He was privy to he status as a widow of course, though the precise details eluded him, and he'd never felt it his place to go digging deeper.

"I take no offense. Anyone who'd treat a fair woman like carrion deserves the title, relative of mine or no." He contended honestly. "By all means I am a libertine, but I can hardly stand those who only seek the companionship of another solely for personal gain."

The tail end of Elise's thought, her jab at Jiya Luana, caught Val's attention. He cocked a curious eyebrow at his companion and spoke in a more hushed tone, carefully eyeing and smiling at a passerby as the two moved along.
"Heh. I oft forget that there exist people who dare dislike the illustrious Luanas beyond my own immediate family. We really don't speak enough, Elise."

Elise looked at Val, smiling ever so slightly. In a way it was almost comforting that even Pirian fell into the old traps. "Old habits are hard to shake, I suppose."

The rivalries between Houses was so ingrained in most of them that it was nearly impossible to shake. A truth that rang especially deep for Luana and Virak. The two families having despised one another almost as soon as the former had been founded.

Her head shook.

"It's such a silly thing, Val." She mused quietly. "Jiya has never done a thing to me, besides what silly little girls will do."

A breath passed from her lips, remembering old barbs traded at Galas. "Perhaps it's time to bury the past."

There were new enemies to face after all.

She mused for a moment more and then gently reached to pat Val on the hand.

"We don't." Elise agreed. "But such is the toil of this new world."

The work never ended, not for a head of a Great House. Things were constantly moving, changing. Alliances being formed and votes cast in Parliament. Power came with responsibility, and perhaps shocking to some Elise embraced that fact wholeheartedly. "Oh."

She said, a hint of genuine excitement in her tone. "Did you hear the news? My brother has...returned."

Val of course would remember Elise's siblings. Both of her older brothers having supposedly died some fifteen years ago in an accident.

An understanding smile found its way across Val's countenance. Just as Elise's "silly" grudge had persisted, so too had his family's distrust of the other houses. Some things never changed.
"We all have our rivalries. Just because Vel Anir wears a new mask doesn't mean the bad blood has vanished. We've all just died it a fresh, new color." He thought aloud. "That said, I think a bit of burying would do us all some good."

Really it was unfortunate how busy Elise tended to be these days. It was so much worse than when she was merely an heiress, though she seemed to be much happier now. That, at least, was cause for rejoicing. Even if Val wished she had the sort of time he did.

What might also have been cause for rejoicing was the bomb she dropped directly afterwards.
"'Returned?'" He parroted her, eyebrow cocking curiously. Her pause led him to believe that there were some curious circumstances behind that. "Not as a revenant, I should hope! I haven't heard anything of this, do tell!"

Curiosity weighted the gleam of Maseno's gaze as he shortly looked about the surroundings of the estate. It was a fair swing quainter than what he'd seen in other noble dwellings, but he appreciated the warmth and homey feel to it. Even with Ventress' poor opinion of Fyris, Maz walked in to the office only with expectations to meet someone unique.

He wasn't disappointed.

A hand was offered to shake as the man turned from Alistair to himself, firm but not overpowering, and Maz felt his expression falter at being called Drastus.

Oh. Oh that wasn't good.

The Initiate shortly glanced to Kristen with faint confusion (why did this man think he was Drastus?) and then next to Alistair. Oh thank Eshva.

"Indeed," Maseno nodded to concur with Al's introduction, frowning slightly, "I am afraid Initiate Drastus has been lost to us. He did not return from his last mission. His fate remains unknown."

He hadn't know the older Initiate well at all, but word got around quickly enough when only 4 out of 5 returned from Tyr.

"A pleasure to make your acquaintance, Lord Fyris. How can we assist you?"

Fyrus blinked when Alistair corrected his notion, and gave Maseno a truly befuddled look. He switched to Kristen then as if for a final confirmation, and though she did not nod or speak, her expression of polished reprimand was quite convincing.

"Oh," Fyrus said to Maseno. And then, just a touch beyond the point where he should have spoken to add something, he nevertheless did add, "Sorry."

Kristen endeavored to get him back on track. "Fyris, Initiate Luana did inquire of you, and I remain curious as well."

"Oh, what? What was the question?"

Forgetful Fyris. Still, Kristen made a pleasant smile (at least glad to move past the awkwardness of his mistake) and said, "You summoned us here, wishing to speak with us?"

Another moment.

"Ah yes, the Dreadlord. Ventress?"

"Yes, that would be so."

"Her. Yes. With the white hair. We did speak at length. She had some of the same concerns as Captain Rennil, worried that something untoward might happen at the Festival."

He smiled, a little pleased with himself. Then that look of genuine puzzlement came back, and his eyes swept over the three Initiates. And, as if he were a student at school, earnestly asking a smarter student he happened to be sitting next to about some question on an examination:

"Do you know what...um...'Forsaken' are?"

• Devil
Reactions: Elise Virak
Alistair was inclined to ignore the man altogether. Nothing about Fyris had proved to him that he could be competent in any form. To make matter worse, that incompetence made him rude, to a Dreadlord no less. The Dreadlords were no longer tools of the nobility. Fyris should be careful of who he speaks to like that.

Alistair's gaze shifted to a window overlooking the city and admired the organized, yet jovial mood that the festival gave off. It was clear that a lot of planning had gone into this, so it could not have been Fyris's doing.

His gaze snapped back to Fyris with a moment of fright as he stepped closer to him.

"Forsaken, here? Why? Why does Ventress think this?"

Alistair had faced off against the Forsaken three times in his life. One was underground with Ventress. One was facing off against a single individual in an outskirts town, and the last had been a runaway Forsaken serving as a bodyguard for some corrupt merchant. Nearly every time, he had been only inches away from death.

They were essentially Dreadlords in their training, but without the bloodline. If even possible, their training may be even more brutal.

If the Forsaken were here, and they had there sights set on this festival then someone was about to die.

Couldn't help but feel a hint of concern for what seemed to be a rather addled state of mind this man exhibited. Perhaps it was due to his old age? Maz didn't take offense ... it actually hadn't been the first time he'd been mistaken for another of his dark-skinned fellow Initiates (something that used to infuriate him when he was younger and only endeavored the boy to ensure he set himself apart).

Another wayward glance to Kristen as she attempted to steer the discussion back to its intended destination: the man's purpose for the call. Fyris' question stumped him - but apparently not Alistair.

Maseno had never heard the term before, but if it was enough to garner the attention of Ventress and set Alistair to alarm, it certainly seemed like something important to know about.

"I am uninformed on the topic of Forsaken..." his questioning glance to Kristen confirmed she did not seem to know either, "Alistair, please enlighten us."

Last edited:
So the rumors had not spread too far, good.

As far as she knew Erich had made only one appearance in Vel Anir itself, and that had ended with his confrontation of Lynus. Perhaps that had been enough to quell his interest for now, though Elise knew that it was only a matter of time. "It appears that his method of getting away from my father was a tad more...subtle."

A bitter laugh passed her lips, both of them knowing how she'd gotten away from the man.

"He survived the explosion all those years ago..." Elise explained. "But instead of revealing himself he fled. Spending the last decade and a half in the east."

An odd sort of smile flickered over Elise's lips. "And now...well now he is back."

Along with a new wife and children, though that was knowledge she would not yet let go. "At the summer Estate in the north, currently."

Val Pirian

Forsaken? Kristen was as puzzled as Maseno, indeed, never having heard of such a thing herself. Only Alistair seemed to have some idea.

And the manner in which he spoke was enough to give Kristen a small tinge of alarm. Whatever they were, these Forsaken, it certainly couldn't bode well for Vel Numera.

Alistair, please enlighten us.

"Yes, if you would."

Fyris, of course, was keenly interested as well. Even though he had just had, apparently, a lengthy conversation with Ventress about it, he didn't seem to have picked up on just what Forsaken were or what ill significance they posed for Vel Numera.

• Nervous
Reactions: Maseno Luana