Completed The Noblest of Deeds

Alistair never wavered as he knew he held the position of power in these negotiations. The man needed horses for food.

The man hesitated once more before looking to Kristen one last time and then handing over the momey.

"They are all yours."

He handed over the reins to his own horse, while grabbing his bag. Kristen would do the same and then they would be on their way with plenty of money for what they would need.

As soon as the man and horses was out of ear shot, Alistair spoke again.

"I think we should first find a inn to stay at before they all fill up. It will be good to have a place to fall back to if things go bad, then we can go find Banick."

Kristen Pirian

• Yay
Reactions: Kristen Pirian
"Agreed," Kristen said. "Should I recall correctly, there was one that I saw when first we came here, down this avenue and off on a smaller street."

It didn't take very many steps in that effort for Kristen, pondering, to begin to recognize a fair few similarities between this mission here in Ostia Anir and another. The order of events thus far, barring a few minor differences, were unfolding in a scarily familiar fashion.

"I do not believe I've told you of Salesia," Kristen said as they walked. She lowered her voice—no such thing as being too prudent in a situation like this. "A formative...'experience' of mine many months ago. Entering into a potentially unfriendly city under guises, securing an inn room, planning on how best to arrange a certain kind of meeting with a particularly important figure..."

Her lips thinned, and she shook her head ruefully, remembering all too vividly how it went.

Yet a touch of optimism came through. "History rhymes, and in that poetry can be found second chances."

Alistair Krixus

Alistair followed after her since Kristen had an idea of where they should go. He listened to her past experience with a little surprise. She was not as green to situations like this as he thought. Al was not exactly sure how that mission had turned out, but it could not have been too good or she might be more confident.

He nodded in agreement.

"Those who do not learn the past are doomed to repeat. It is those who find new paths on the same journey that are called visionaries."

That was the opening line of The Histories by Anakletos, an ancient text supposedly written by one of the greatest scholars of the Age of Expansion. It was one of the first books Alistair had ever read.

"Don't lose faith. We will succeed here."

Kristen Pirian

• Bless
Kristen smiled. "Faith," she said, "is the one thing I can claim over the vast superiorities of my peers."

Though it at times was shaken, though it at times suffered terribly (oh the agony which followed Raf's death), it had never shattered. If she had been unfortunate enough to be enrolled into the Academy during the old way, faith, she knew, would have been the only way in which she could have survived, and survived worthily.

Down the avenue they went, on their feet this time rather than riding on the back of a cart. More than just their method of transportation, the very atmosphere—it could not be said enough—was changed. Gone was the busy and vibrant feel in the air typical of a city at this hour and at times of stability. The tension among the citizenry they passed, the low and constant alertness of the squads of soldiers, spoke to a miasma of apprehension blanketing all of Ostia Anir.

Alistair had put it succinctly: Walter started a fight with all Vel Anir. Surely though, Walter could not possibly expect to win such a fight? Surely he knew that it was only by the grace of exquisite timing concerning Wissburg he was even afforded the scant time he had?

She and Alistair would find out the man's mindset soon enough.

"There," Kristen said when she saw it, and at the right turn onto the local street she pointed it out.

The Lessat and Pneria Inn, so it was called. The overhanging sign above the porch and front door had depictions of the two moons orbiting around a representation of the inn itself. Seemed the proprietor of the inn had a fond interest in the celestial bodies above.

Alistair Krixus

Alistair realized a little late that he might not have chosen the best word. Someone like Kristen would take that way too seriously...maybe that was a good thing for now. As long as that got her through all of this then he did not care.

The inn they arrived at was pretty simple, but he could already see signs of the place beginning to fill up. Good thing they got there when they did. It only took a few minutes and a couple of crowns before they got one of the rooms on the second floor. Alistair was sure to get one with a window...just in case.

It would not matter too much, as if things went the way they hoped then they would not be in this room very much. When they finally had a moment to themselves in the room, Alistair started to plan.

"So how do you want to do this? We can go straight to him, or try to sneak up on him when he is alone."

Kristen Pirian

• Thoughtful
Standard business, parting with coin to secure a roof over their heads and a warm bed each. The L&P's common area was rather packed with people, more like a tavern on an eventful night than any public room of an inn. Murmurs floated about, the din of conversations one of either hushed tones or conscious attempts to speak more levelly of anything else than what might be coming.

Kristen made sure the door was firmly closed behind them once inside their room. Outside through the window, a passing cloud had cast shade over most of Ostia Anir.

Onto discussing a plan, then. Something that most certainly would not go like it did in Salesia. There were some commitments that she was simply unwilling to make.

Kristen slipped off her traveling pack and set it beside one of the beds. Considered Alistair's question as she did so. "Speaking with him alone would be preferential, though that might well be an unattainable luxury. Given the dire nature of this whole ordeal, Walter is likely to be surrounded with varying numbers of people at all times, and mayhap the best we can hope for is to catch him with as few as possible."

She cradled one arm under her breasts, tapped on her chin with the other. She forwarded a suggestion: "He does have to go to sleep sometime. His very chambers, at the end of a long day, could be opportune." And she let out a singular laugh. "Talk about a sudden meeting, hmm?"

Alistair Krixus

Alistair nodded along with her reasoning as he went over the possibilities in his head. She was right in that the best they could likely hope for was getting him alone with as few people as possible. Speaking with him in the bedroom would be the most ideal situation, but...that would be difficult.

Another option that Alistair was sure would result in him being minimally defended would be when Vel Anir's army first arrived. Many would move to the walls to get a feel for the numbers, but Banick would likely sit back and wait for a report. The only problem there was that meant there would be only one chance and they would not get to control all the variables...That would have to be saved as the last resort.

"Let's try to bedroom idea. If not, then we run into him during a time he is least protected. We will have to do some scouting anyways, so we will have more information soon."

It wasn't like they would be talking much if they had to fight. Either they chose to talk or fight, doing both would likely give Banick time to call guards, and then they would likely be killed when his dreadlords arrived.

Kristen Pirian

• Thoughtful
"His estate, I imagine, will not be easy to penetrate," Kristen said. A surreptitious entry was the only option for their current plan of action, as it had been in Salesia. The difference here was that the city of Salesia was not at the time under the threat of war.

By the grace of Aionus, in some ways this endeavor was Ostia Anir was easier, in some ways much more difficult.

Kristen rubbed her temple with a hand (her right at first, before unconsciously switching to her flesh and blood left). "Which brings me to a salient point: my magic is woefully unsuited to tasks of this covert type."

She smiled.

"I suppose we will have little choice but to lean heavily upon that adaptability of yours, Alistair."

Alistair Krixus

"Your magic will become far more important towards the end. If we end up having to fight then I will be reliant on you. For now, I'll try and make things as easy as possible."

He put his own bag down on the bed while he looked out the window and down to the street. He had not planned on speaking with Bannick today. Today would be used just to scout and figure out the movements of the guard.

The first time they spoke with the Lord would be tomorrow, no matter what.

"Adaptability is helpful, but once we are done scouting, I can show you the real skill of a rune mage... preparation."

If someone gave Kalix enough time to prepare and think out his moves, then he would put himself up against the best of the best. Convenient since that was going to be what they aimed for.

Kristen Pirian

• Yay
Rune mage...preparation.

Kristen gave a solid nod to that, for just the knowledge that they would have clearly defined, viable options should things go terribly wrong was reassuring to the utmost.

Yet even this reassurance could not overcome the trouble she felt at what Alistair had said prior to it. If we end up having to fight. Things going terribly wrong, indeed.

Just like in Salesia.

Slowly Kristen's face became grave. Haunted, almost.

"Alistair...I would like for you to promise something to me."

Alistair Krixus

"Um, sure what is it?"

Alistair looked back wondering. He was in the middle of hiding things around the room and then preparing to go out for some scouting. It was mid-afternoon, which was a good time for them to get moving. That would leave them plenty of time to get things done when the sun fell.

Although, the city might institute a curfew, in which case they would need to be a bit more careful.

He could tell that something wasn't sitting well with Kristen, but it was just the nerves that might come with doing something like this.

Kristen Pirian

• Yay
It took her a moment to speak.

"I pray that our negotiation with Walter will prove successful. But if we are left with no choice but to use force..."

The servant girl. The one who had seen her and Edric.

"Spare the innocent. You must spare the innocent."

That all-too familiar fear in the girl's eyes. The apathetic blankness in Edric's own as he was trying to choke her to death; in that moment he became without even thinking the very thing he had shed tormented tears over. He was so ready, so willing, to let the last shreds of his humanity slip away.

It was a line Kristen refused to cross.

She did not even know the servant girl's name. She knew nothing of her, save that she was in the wrong place at the wrong time. But...Kristen knew...that if she ever found out if Edric did kill the girl...

Alistair Krixus

• Stressed
Reactions: Edric
There it was. The part of Kristen that the Academy still had not ground down. He had once mentioned it to her as a strength, but it could just as easily be a weakness. He paused for a second to think through the situation. She would likely have preferred that he just quickly answer in the affirmative and prove that he was a good person...

The only reason to kill non-combatants was for some type of leverage or efficiency, but in this case, killing servants might just anger Banick even more. They needed him as amicable as possible.

"I will."

He did not need to say any more than that. Let Kristen fill her mind with whatever she wanted on his thinking about the situation. All that matters is that he had said he would not kill them.

"Just to be clear. I won't kill them...May have to knock them out though."

Kristen Pirian

• Cthuloo
I will.

Kristen gave a solemn nod. The delay in his answer could have been worrisome, but this was also Alistair, who lived by the adage that one ought to think before they speak. It still could be worrisome. Few were the reminders that Alistair was of the same class with despicable examples like Bull, Liliana, or Charon, but indeed he was, and change was oftentimes slow.

But she chose to believe in the best of him.

Practical considerations followed. "Were that such dreadful ordeals never arose, that only those who raised sword or spell could be entered into the fold of violence done and violence received. Yet...so it must be."

She didn't like the idea of that very much either, the acute memory of Duresh's fist slamming into her jaw rising up. But it was infinitely more preferable than the horrid finality of the alternative.

Kristen made to head for the door, the task of scouting and preparation still ahead of them, but paused. Looked down for a moment. Then met Alistair's eyes.

With all vulnerable sincerity she said, "I want to be a Dreadlord whose deeds my future children can be proud of."

Alistair Krixus

Kristen was far more serious about this than he realized as he expected her to just let the subject drop after he commented, but she continued on. Something must have happened on a past mission. He kind of understood where she was coming from, but it still felt naïve.

Then came the last comment, which made Alistair's lips press into a thin line. He was slightly irritated, but he would mask his emotions like he always did. Instead, he chose to say...

"Indeed, and I will ensure that there is a place for those future children to be proud."

Deciding to end the conversation himself, Alistair walked past her and moved down the stairs and out the door.

Kristen Pirian

Kristen watched for but a moment as Alistair moved past. She lowered her gaze in a momentary contemplation.

And then she followed.

* * * * *​

Around to various vantages they went, all with a keen eye for what was happening in and around their objective: Walter's Estate.

The streets were mostly barren, yes, but not completely abandoned which was a blessing. Only once were they shooed by the Banick soldiers, and it wasn't even because they had gotten too close to the Estate; there was a park nearby the manor grounds in which the active construction of wheeled siege weapons was underway, and they were cautioned to not cross onto the park grass. A minor incident, fortunately insignificant. Their guises of Phineus and Kon weren't even truly tested.

No sight of Walter himself thus far in their observations. And, as expected, heavy concentrations of elite soldiers were stationed all around the Estate. There were changings of the guard at different times for each of the many positions at which they stood sentry, though some regularities were available to be gleaned with a keen eye for detail.

It was when they were in the attic on a modest house (the owners perhaps out on errands or congregating with family elsewhere in the city), this with a straight side view of the Estate's eastern side, that Kristen saw it. Saw him. Not that he was hard to miss.

A Dreadlord. His armor distinct from all the rest, his cloak flowing behind him. Such was the distance that it was immensely difficult to make out a face, but the Dreadlord's most identifying mark was his grey hair—or rather, the unique lack thereof. On side of his skull had that grey hair in full down to his shoulders. The other side was bare, burned skin.

"I've..." Kristen said, squinting even though her attention was turned mostly inward, seeing with her mind's eye into the hazy past of years ago, "...I know that I have seen that man before."

Alistair Krixus

"How so?"

Alistair asked with discounted interest. It wasn't that he thought it was nothing, but Alistair currently was focused on something he was drawing in his notebook. The page was beginning to show a very detailed image of one of the guards at the estate. He had been working on the drawing for most of the day.

The security of the estate was tight, but there were a few places they could take advantage of. Still, it was going to have to be perfect to pull this off.

His drawing was nearing completion, but he finally looked up from his notebook and saw what who Kristen was talking about. He grew way more serious when he realized it was a Dreadlord.

"Can you remember where from? It might help to know his abilities."

It would actually be most convenient if he was a combat type since they had not planned to fight. If the dreadlord had other unique powers then it might prove more difficult.

Kristen Pirian

• Stressed
Kristen buried the heels of both palms into her temples, making gentle circular motions with them as if in so doing those old memories from another life would be coaxed out. Her face was pinched with the effort to pierce the haze. It was only just notable at the time! Far more concerned with other things was she then.

"It...ahh...I was six years old. No, five. I was five. Yes, that's right, because I was excited for my birthday that was coming the following week."

More effort, more clawing into the murk of yesteryears.

"It wasn't...a regular gala. It was a celebration, yes...what did Father say? 'Twas some trade deal finalized with another nation...mmmm...it's not important. Three Houses were there: Pirian, Banick...ah, I cannot remember the third."

Her eyes alighted with possibility.

"Kimble! No...no, that's not him. Armeus Kimble became a Proctor shortly thereafter, of course. So if it was not Armeus Kimble, then...who was the other...?"

Finally, after talking herself through it:

"Vinn. Saydor Vinn. Yes, of that I am now certain. He introduced himself to Mother, to me. He knelt down and he asked if I would like to see special show of magic. He was a touch frightening to behold, but nice enough to me then. I said yes. From his coat he produced..."

Kristen looked to Alistair.

"A pocket mirror. His magic has something to do with reflections. That day he merely toyed with my reflection in the mirror to my amusement, but...I would be wary around any reflective surface."

Alistair Krixus

Well...that made life difficult. There were so many reflective surfaces that could be found in an estate. Every piece of glass or metal was suddenly dangerous to them. His eyes immediately turned to the estate and start noticing positions where a power like Saydor Vinn's could prove to be a problem. There was a lot.

"Ok, that's not good. For starters, we cover up your armor before we try to infiltrate. Leave no room for reflections...Then, we just have to be careful as we make our way in."

Alistair could prepare some obscuring-type runes, but those might not prove useful. It was difficult to make precautions for complicated powers because it was hard to tell how far they could go.

"Let's just try to avoid him if we can."

Shit, that was the best he could come up with? Just stay away from him? Sadly, that was their best course of action.

Kristen Pirian

• Yay
"And hope the servants haven't the time to polish the floors," Kristen said. It felt good, using a bit of humor to blunt the circumstances before them.

Her gaze out the attic's window turned skyward.

No particular humor this time. "And, as well, pray for clear skies on the morrow."

She knew not the extent of Vinn's powers, but if he was so highly regarded by House Banick and Walter in particular then he had to be formidable indeed. Rain would certainly be more to his advantage than theirs.

If he even knew they were there. With a bit of fortune and carefulness, they could do just as Alistair said and avoid him altogether. All they needed to do was initiate the conversation with Walter and, provided Walter was willing to entertain them, they would be safe.

Hopefully.

Alistair Krixus

"Fair enough." Alistair agreed with a light smile, but it quickly disappeared. It seemed like every time he looked at the estate he saw a new reflective surface that they would have to look out for.

If they were spotted, then it was just going to be a race to see if they could reach Bannick in time...Alistair did not like their chances on that.

The dreadlord may be important enough that he was called to the wall for some reason, but that was wishful thinking on Alistair's part.

"Who knows, if my runes work then it may not prove to be a problem at all."

He went back to finishing the sketch of the guards.

"Anything else before we go?"

Kristen Pirian

The power of preparation. More than just a necessity for the type of magic Alistair commanded, it was a mindset, was it not? Kristen herself, though acknowledging the usefulness of hands-on experience, often preferred to do reading and study on a topic before delving in.

Berenger chose wisely in selecting Alistair for this long-shot mission of his. (Herself? Even with his justification she wasn't so sure, but nevertheless she would do her duty.)

"No. I do not think so," she said.

She half-turned as her eyes drifted down to the sketch Alistair was working on.

"An adept artist's hand you have, Alistair," she commented earnestly. Then, wondering, "Is it for use later with your magic?"

Alistair Krixus

Alistair stowed the book away as they prepared to leave and head back to the inn.

"Oh, yes. It helps to have a steady hand for scientific purposes. It isn't perfect, but it is enough for me to get a decent image in my head. With this, I am going to try and make an illusion rune to give us the appearance of some guards. It is probably not going to hold up under scrutiny, and definitely don't let anyone touch you, but...it should still work."

Alistair was no Henk or anything, but he had performed basic illusion magic, and putting it into the rune would allow controlling the form of the magic better.

"Oh, and I probably would not move too fast while using it. You might out-move the image. That would look weird."

It still remained whether he could actually make it, but he was confident in his abilities.

"By the way, I don't think I ever asked you this. Your magic can do things like scare people, right?"

Kristen Pirian

• Wonder
Kristen, impressed as she was by Alistair's plan, almost missed her chance to say "Noted" when cautioned on not moving too fast. But she did, even if a second belated.

His question, then.

Kristen, unlike practically every other Initiate her age, had no compunction against speaking openly about her magic, what it could and could not do. One of the many markers, though she was only vaguely aware of this one in particular, of her being different.

"Yes. Through the Divine Aspect of Conjuring, I am able to call forth a manifestation which strikes fear into those who gaze upon it. Though I am still learning and honing the Aspect of Curses, I believe such a thing is eminently possible via a Curse, and of course it would be much less, ah...conspicuous than Conjuring."

Alistair Krixus

Alistair motioned for her to follow as this could be a conversation they had on the way back. It wasn't something that Alistair would often bring up with other initiates, but it was an area of curiosity, specifically for Kristen's case.

"Why do you think that is?... I guess a better way of asking that is why do you think the manifestation only instills fear? It is in my experience that often one's abilities say something about one's personality."

He thought of those like Edric, Zael, and Everleigh.

"Of course, I suppose abilities can also just as easily shape one's personality...I that is the case then I believe you may be an outlier in that as well."

Kristen Pirian

Last edited:
  • Stressed