Fable - Ask The Island of Vel Anir

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first

Elise Virak

The Baronness
Character Biography
Link
Vel Aleros - The Tea Room

"Yes, Lord Governor I am well aware of what such a project entails, I would not have brought it to the assembly had I not." Elise smiled pleasantly as she sat back in the plush chair of one of Vel Aleros' wondrous tea rooms.

The building which had long held the seat of Vel Anir's governance had many such rooms. Previously they had been parceled out to each of the Great Houses, and the families had gone to great lengths to decorate each and every one in their own style and suiting. Of course after the rebellion, or the revolution as some called it, this was done away with. More...specialized decorations were stripped, and now every tea room was more or less the same.

Something that truly was a shame, if only because it made these meetings feel so monotonous. "I am not suggesting we recreate Walter Banick's great project, though I can't deny it was an inspiration."

Elise had to give the man credit, it was really a stroke of genius. She would even happily say so to his face.

"The river Draz already flows to the Cortosi sea mere miles from here." She had, of course, employed several dozen engineers, mathematicians, geologists, and even Dreadlords before ever broaching this idea with the assembly. Knowing that she would need reams of evidence to show the idea was not only sound, but a good one. Elise had even asked her distant cousin, Garett Marr if the Guard would find such a thing useful. Through clenched teeth he had acquiesced. "I have it on good autority it can be rerouted, with sufficient time and material."

"It is a grand idea, a moat-" Before the man could finish Elise cut him off.

"Not just a moat, Governor." She said leaning forward and gently picking up her teacup. "A river around Vel Anir. A source of trade, connection, and defense for our great city."

The man opposite her looked dubious. "But the cost...It would be immense."

"That, I cannot deny of course, but it is easier done now than ever before. Most of the lands beyond the city were ravaged by the undead, and much of the...outer city is still recovering." The slums, as it were. Though she would rather be rid of them, her proposal saw them included upon the new 'island' as well. "There is no better time."

For a moment the governor chewed his mustache deep in thought. Elise knew what worried him, and it was the same thing that worried all small men; money. He did not understand the boon this might bring, even if the cost would be first at great. "Come now, Lord Governor. We cannot let ourselves be outdone by Dornoch."

Elise said with a smile, pricking at that national pride all Anirians seemed to feel. "I know you invested in Mr. Albrecht's canal as I did, and this project is...well, a pittance compared to that."

It wasn’t that Amell Quillon didn’t like politics or couldn’t appreciate them. He understood their importance, the weight that politics carried not just in Vel Anir but the world around Vel Anir. Amell just felt that politics was a relentless, tiring race that never ended. He had first rejected his father’s proposal in having him come to this meeting about… was it a canal? A river? A island? Whatever, it didn’t matter, the point was, he didn’t want to be here.

But here he was. At least he could show up in uniform, which always put him at ease, even when he couldn’t follow along with the conversation.

Some others were here, taking notes. Amell looked down at his blank paper, at the quill he had yet to touch. Instead he picked up his glass and drank from it. It was only water but after this meeting was over he was going to get himself a stiff drink. Sitting down for so long made it so his bad knee began to feel hard and like a lump was forming around it. Maybe he should excuse himself to the restroom?

He had yet to say anything, however, and he realized that he should indeed say something before just leaving to hide away in the bathroom for a few minutes.

The benefits exceed the cost, do they not?” It was safe, and hopefully, didn’t show too much that he hadn’t been listening the entire time.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Kristen Pirian
Kristen felt out of place, being the only one at the table wearing armor. Even the last time she was here at Vel Aerelos with Alistair, when it was specifically for a military purpose, she had felt out of place. And how could she not? With such grandeur as Humanity's Finest Jewel had at every turn, every glance, she felt that she ought to be clothed in one of her most splendid dresses for any occasion within these halls, no matter the actual substance of the business.

And what was her business, then? She wasn't here so much in the capacity of an Academy Initiate, no, though with Lady Virak's travel plans and the everpresent specter of Rogues looming throughout the Republic, one never knew—hence Proctor Magomo's gruff command to "bring the armor anyway." This was in actual fact meant to be political tutelage, and this tutelage was a sort of field experience (negotiated by her father Neil Pirian, as it were) which would count toward marks in one of her classes.

Kristen cared very little about these marks. She didn't need them. She was just excited to have the opportunity to learn under the prestigious wing of Lady Elise Virak herself. They had only just met properly in Vel Numera, and that affair was handily ruined by the disastrous intrusion of Duresh and vengeful Forsaken.

The project Lady Virak was proposing was enormous in scale. She called Walter Banick's similar project great, but truly, what words were left then to describe hers, so much larger it was by comparison? This promised to change the very face of Arethil, such that the newest maps would all have to account for it. It was a mark so gargantuan that not even from a bird's eye view could it be appreciated in full.

But Kristen couldn't marvel. At least, not now, not while she sat at this table next to the preeminent Lady. She had to pay attention, take in not just the mere content of what Lady Elise was saying but its strategy. Persuasion was an art to which Kristen was not well practiced, and she remembered the sting of having lost a duel of rhetoric against Caeso Diemut in the fallout of the Graduation. She wished one day to be an orator, a land-owning Lady, a Councilor even, and to these ends influence and persuasion were skills indispensable.

Amell Quillon, one of the Virak cousins, spoke up, but at present Kristen remained quiet. She listened, and listened well.

This opportunity with Lady Virak had not been afford to her easily. Best she make the most of it.

Elise Virak Amell Quillon

• Sip
Reactions: Amell Quillon
The Governor seemed to consider Elise's words for a few moments, letting his gaze flicker over towards Amell as he too weighed in on the question. "Well, I suppose..."

He said, reaching his fingers up to gently twirl his moustache. Elise could see the gears spinning in his head for a few moments, as though he were running calculations through his head. After a few moments he nodded, more to himself than to the Lady of House Virak.

"The price will be repaid tenfold. It will take time, but in the decades they'll laud you as the Governor who brought a new marvel to Vel Anir." The words seemed to spark something in the man's eyes. Some hope that ran through him, and in that moment Elise knew that she had him.

Every man yearned for Legacy, even those who already held such lofty positions.

"Yes, yes you're right Lady Virak." The man said, suddenly finding his enthusiasm. "We must have progress!"

He stood, practically beaming. "I will speak with Hareld as you asked."

A project as large as this required, of course, that it was approved by Parliament. The funds necessary would be provided for by investors, but the approvals, eventual zoning and design would all need to be seen through the faculties of the Republic's government. A painful process, but one that Elise had found herself rather skilled in navigating.

Every supporter she won now would only help later. The Governor could not vote, but he was friends with multiple members of parliament. His word was worth more to them than hers, and thus through him she would inevitably gain even more.

A quick goodbye was said to the Governor, and then shortly after Elise sat herself back down in the plush cushion of her chair. She smoothed her skirts, and looked to her two remaining companions. "Thank you for being here, Amell."

She said with a smile.

"Your presence, was, I think enough of a push for him." It might not have seemed liked much, but a few words from someone of Amell's status and connection could have quite the impact. "The budding relationship between our two greater families is already proving fruitful."

Elise mused, glad that she had made the match.

How Elise Virak spun everyone on her finger effortlessly was a mystery to Amell. And despite Elise’s kind words, Amell was very aware that he held very little sway in anyone’s decision making. It had all been Elise, her words, her mannerisms, her presence. She could command armies if she wanted, he doubted any soldier on the field would have given a second thought to her orders.

But she was doing much better work for Anirians here in the land itself. Let people like Amell fight for the people like Elise who could make Vel Anir could truly prosper.

I suppose these medals are good for something after all,” Amell said with a wry smile, tapping at one absently. “But I think it’s little due to being Captain and all because of Quillon Steel and House Urahil’s endorsement.” Amell’s own father was investing greatly in this project, and it wasn’t just because of Elise Virak or because the upcoming head of the Urahil household told him to. Quillon Steel had been labeled for centuries, and Amell would argue rightly so, as a forge for the military. Armor, helmets, shields, swords, miscellaneous weaponry and even the armored wagons often used in the North, all were created by Quillon Steel. There was pride in it, of course, especially with Amell being a captain inside the Army of the North.

However, it bottle-necking the noble family’s business potential. Even Felix Urahil had made a comment about it to Amell’s father during a boring dinner six weeks ago. Quillon Steel needed to expand, and this project would be just the thing to get the Quillon name in important people’s mouths again. Amell hoped Marcus would handle all this business, he’d have to, wouldn’t he? Soon enough, Amell could argue his case to be put back in the North, couldn’t be too much longer until his knee was healed, right?

Felix is quite happy by the union,” Amell said, “I think he’s looking forward to telling Leander in person.” He shifted, and glancing over to Kristen, he had to ask. “From what I remember of your cousin, this… isn’t Liliana, is it?” He looked over her armor. “Bodyguard?

Kristen Pirian Elise Virak

The Lord Governor was, of course, a powerful position, and he who held it was a powerful man. With the Governor's exit from the tea room the ball would be set to roll on this immense project; a long way for it to roll lay ahead, to see the completion of this whole new river system, but it was here that it indeed began.

In some ways, the Republic was not much different from the noble alliance of old. Many great acts began as a simple conversation between two or more powerful individuals. Why, everyone left in the tea room was in fact born of nobility.

Though Amell didn't recognize Kristen. It was not particularly his fault. House Pirian and House Quillon were not close, no, and Kristen herself had foreknowledge of Amell's presence—else she, too, would have been at a loss.

"Yes and no, I suppose," Kristen said by way of response to Amell. "Kristen Pirian," she purposely omitted the title of Lady. She stood, as was proper, and offered Amell a small curtsy. "I am pleased to at last make your acquaintance, Lord Amell."

Elise smiled quite brightly. She really was rather pleased with the arrangement they had come up with. Little Liliana had been practically foaming at the mouth with rage, but a small bit of encouragement had taken the wind out of the girls sails.

Besides, in the long run she would see the expedience of this matter. "Lovely, I'm sure we can announce soon."

The conversation shifted almost immediately after as Amell turned to Kristen quite rightly pointing out the brunette was not her cousin. Elise shook her head with a slight chuckle of delight escaping as the young Pirian explained the situation.

"I apologize for the lack of introduction, the Governor swooped in far more quickly than I had expected." The man was shockingly quick on his feet for someone of such a portly nature, but then he had been a soldier once. Perhaps such conditioning never truly went away.

"Kristen is...shadowing me, if you will." The Baroness said as she slowly took another sip of her tea. "Gaining a small sliver of insight into how our new government works."

A small smile touched Elise's lips as she put down her teacup. "An education I am sure has so far proven to be rather droll."

She said, looking to Kristen with a small amount of mirth.

Amell’s pale brows raised in intrigue. A Pirian, but not just any Pirian! No, the darling daughter of the Pirian lineage, the one who was thrown to the wolves at the Academy. Amell had heard such things. Some said it was for a political advantage, which made sense to Amell, but others had given other strange reasons. Something something, because the Pirians had to prove something, something.

At Kristen’s manners, Amell gave a look towards Elise, and then stood up himself. He bowed low, despite the pain in his lower back, and then took Kristen’s hand, placing a chaste and boring kiss on the back of her hand. He kept his head low for a moment more, after all, she was a Pirian and he a Quillon, before standing up.

A pleasure to meet you, Lady Pirian,” Amell said with a highly practiced smile. “Although soon I should be referring you as Dreadlord Pirian, no doubt? Your parents must be proud.” And Amell was jealous. If only he had the gift of magic, then surely his father would stop being the overbearing ass that he was. Maybe then Felix Urahil could get off his back as well and….

Nonsense, Elise, you out of all of us, have the most to teach the youth.” Amell situated himself back down in his chair. “That being said, even I can afford to learn from you. The new politics are….” He waved his hand, “confusing, to say the least.” He shrugged, waving off the matter.

The only thing I know is fancy footwork and how to hold a sword. My decade and more in the guard have kept me rather uneducated in the current happenings of Vel Anir.” The smile that stayed on Amell’s face didn’t even change in the slightest. “I applaud the diligence you take in these matters, I never could.”

Lord Amell seemed amiable enough. Well, to be clear, even more so than that, considering from where Kristen had come. Blessed Aionus, her fellows in the Academy could be stifling and imposing, relentless in their dour attitudes and ceaselessly bereft of decorum. She couldn't imagine having to be stuck in those walls among such company for the better part of a decade or more (even if it would have been fair); always, now that she was well into her phase of doing missions at Proctor Magomo's pleasure, she found it a breath of fresh air to among those who were...well, there was no gentle way to put this...not Initiates nor Dreadlords.

Kristen, as their conversation continued, generally kept quiet unless implicitly or explicitly addressed, deferentially so to those who were her elders. And, to be fair and certain about it, there was still some ice to break, formalities to be adhered to until then.

An education I am sure has so far proven to be rather droll.

"I have all the fascination of the learning novice to keep me well engaged," she said, returning the smile to Lady Elise.

Your parents must be proud.

"Quite so, Lord Amell. I hope to prove myself worthy of it."

Kristen listened as the exchange between Elise and Amell continued. Business here was more or less finished, and the denouement thereof was one of cordial socializing, as was often the case.

Elise preened beneath the complements of her companions, smiling wide as he bowed her head in thanks. "I simply strive for a better Vel Anir."

She said to Amell in explanation of her 'diligence'.

"And compared to the Old Ways, the politics of the Republic is practically a walk through the park." The words were shockingly true. Though she had only taken over the rule of House Virak after the revolution, she had been involved in Politics almost since she'd turned fifteen.

Back then the game had been a dangerous one, most people had lied as often as they'd told the truth. Assassinations had been common and everyone used every underhanded tactic possible. While that tradition had not been entirely stamped out, the influx of new faces had certainly cut out some of the older tactics.

A fact she had found rather annoying at first, but quickly realized the advantage of.

"Cooperation is the word of the day." She said with a bright smile. "Everyone wants something, one just has to figure out what."

It really was that simple, though of course getting everyone what they wanted was impossible. Which was where some methods of the old ways did tend to slip through. Not that she would say so in front of Kristen. "For the Lord Governor, it came down to three things. The defense of our City, Pride in our great nation, and the weight of his coin purse."

She chuckled with a bit of mirth.

"The latter, I think, will be the greatest influence of all when it comes to this project." Elise shook her head. "We have always been a nation of war, the Guard a source of envy for many nations."

A truth no one could deny. "But I believe it is time for something more, that we can be more."

Which was why this project was so important, why she was pouring her families money into similar projects, and why she had even agreed to work with that boy patronized by House Luana of all people. Elise would build Vel Anir into an Empire of Commerce.

And then she would take it all. "I just have to convince our peers to join me."

• Popcorn
Reactions: Kristen Pirian
Kristen Pirian was already far more likeable than Liliana Lorel, although, Amell would admit to himself, and only himself, that if he was on the battle field he would rather have the young Lorel on his team. In a social setting, Amell would much rather have Kristen around than Liliana. Of course, that was partially because the first and last time he had seen Liliana, she had decided to act like a rabid dog when he was being reasonable.

Well, at least she could married off to Leander Urahil. Amell couldn’t help but think the two insufferable, egotistical narcissists were perfect for each other.

Peers?” Amell said, his cool expression breaking for a moment before being put back together. “Are you saying to involve the other houses?” With this Amell seemed more intrigued than he had been before about the over-sized moat that was being suggested. Without any sort of hesitation, Amell leaned forward, looking at Elise with utter sincerity.

Lady,” he said, his voice rumbling in his throat, “if there is anything I could do to help you, please tell me. Anything you need of me, just say the word.” Of course, Amell meant within reason. His loyalty was towards Felix, but it seemed Felix wasn’t opposing Elise whatsoever currently. If Amell remembered Felix’s last words correctly, and he did, it was to make sure Elise got what she wanted for now. “Of course, if I could any sort of suggestion, might I suggest Krixus. They have fallen to… well, I’m sure you’re aware. But I hear the new head could perhaps convince other dreadlords to agree with him. And he likes swordsmanship. I could most definitely persaude him further into your good graces.

Her father Neil never spoke to Kristen about the politics of the Old Ways—at least, not directly with her. She with all the craftiness of a curious child was able to overhear some select bits, much of which she could not fully comprehend until she was older, much more of which she, admittedly, openly disregarded, as it was too fearful to consider true, too damaging to the world she knew and all the love she enjoyed.

And then she was kidnapped.

Father's words to Velkath Pirian III, grandson of Velkath Pirian (he of a certain infamy for his vicious spat with Niasin Urahil), rang especially and undeniably true then: "Like it or not, politics will find a way to deal with you."

But at least now, like Lady Elise said, cooperation was the word of the day. The Revolution had been a great boon for the future prospects of Vel Anir, and it promised a new golden age of unity, a cure to the malady of divisive and deadly times of old. And they could be more. Everyone, every Anirian, could bask in the unprecedented achievements the Republic could yet bring. Blessed Aionus, was it a great time to be alive as an Anirian! Kristen couldn't be happier.

...might I suggest Krixus.

Kristen was immediately thrown into a mighty engagement to suppress a flustered start from the unexpected mention of House Krixus by Amell. Goodness, it had not even been all that long since the precarious rendezvous she had with Alistair, and she could still feel to touch of his lips to hers. But now was not the time for such girlish whimsies. She was here for a purpose, and she couldn't disappoint Father by neglecting that via daydreams.

"Lady Elise, if I may," she said, her voice soft in its deferential respect but with a steadiness that struck down any notion of timidity, "though times have changed, I am sure you are expecting some...disharmony among the Houses, even if they individually agree to participate."

The Old Ways had deep roots. Despite the fluke of Ostia Anir, House Pirian and House Banick still had much animosity toward each other, to name one such instance.

"May you grace me with your thoughts on how such hindrances could be ameliorated?"

"Yes, I mean the Houses." Elise confirmed with a nod. "These projects will require an enormous sum of money, and though the Republic will contribute it's fair share, the bulk must come from us."

Which was, of course, intentional. The more the Houses spent, the more they would be seen and the more they would still control. Everything had to be carefully woven and set into place.

She smiled brightly at Amell. "You have already done your part by being here today, Amell. I know both Quillion and Urahil support me in these ventures."

Those arrangements had already been made. Born out of an utter disaster that had nearly been a civil war, but now turned into a relationship that she hoped would aid her with more than a few infrastructure projects. "Ah! Young Alistair!"

Elise said, her gaze flickering to Kristen for a brief moment, noting with slight interest the color that flickered over Kristen's cheeks. "I met him briefly, in Vel Numera. He seems a bright boy. I would be more than glad for your word with him."

Not that she needed it, but if she could avoid tugging on the strings she'd already tied to Alistair then all the better.

When Kristen spoke up, she smiled and nodded her head along in agreement. The girl was right of course, hatred was as natural to the Houses as breathing. All of them had come in conflict with one another at one point in time, and most often those instances were not forgotten.

Ridding themselves of the past was difficult, but as far as she could tell the only way forward.

"I intend, Kristen, to tie us all together and show the other Houses the benefit of cooperation. " Easier said than done, of course, but Elise would begin to explain. "I have already begun this by arranging marriage between my Cousin Liliana and Leander Urahil. Tying our families together in union."

There was no harm in revealing this truth to Kristen, nor any other that she was about to reveal. "Aisling Weiroon is an old friend of mine, and now leads her House. She supports these projects as much as I, and even suggested to me I acquire the Guards support."

She smiled briefly at Amell, then returned her attention to Kristen.

"Olvir, her little brother, is set to marry Elspeth Sirl. Whom I have it on good authority is next in line to Inherit the rule of her House and as such has some influence in her families spending." Though the girl's rather infuriating father was doing his best to ruin the marriage, Elise had her plans to ensure it would occur. "She is a willful and sharp girl. Utterly devoted to the good of the people. I intend to offer her funding for her hospitals, and I believe she will see the good in what this project will do as well."

Already she had named four of the Great Houses, but she continued. "Pirian, of course, as you know will likely support this as well. Though Tobias and I often do not see eye to eye he is an intelligent man, and something like this only stands to benefit us all. Plus..."

Elise smiled a little deviously at Kristen. "It helps that my dearest friend Val stands next in line, and the darling daughter is here to support my good works"

There was a pause, and then she let out a sigh.

"That only leaves Banick, and of course Luana." The greatest, and traditional rival of House Virak. "A more difficult nut to crack, I admit, but as of late I have taken an interest in another project supported by both Houses. Kaeden Banick himself works on it and a boy...I believe his name is Amos, whom is dear to the Luana's."

She seemed to hesitate a moment. "My hope is by showing my willingness to cooperate and aid them, that they will do the same in turn. Naive perhaps, but is a new dawn, and as I must be willing to go out on a limb if we are to succeed."

Of course, if it didn't, there were other plans laying in wait. Though they were not without their own difficulties. "I believe once all Seven Great Houses have shown their support, or even a majority, most others will follow suit."

Complex political schemes that had taken months to build and set up, all explained in a few moments. Funny how that worked.

He listened, his expression neutral as Elise explained. He hid it well, but there was a sense of fear that coiled itself into the back of his mind, latching onto his brain. Elise hadn’t said anything wrong, but call it a warrior’s intuition, there were things Elise wasn’t sharing. Things only she knew, things that made Amell certain the houses would somehow follow and come into place.

Just as Elise wanted them. While she seemingly explained everything, Amell couldn’t help but feel there were pieces missing. Amell may have been away on duty for fourteen years, but he had seen Elise enough when he was young. She wasn’t the sort to count her eggs before they hatched. If she was, he doubted she’d be where she was now.

Besides, the last word Amell would use to describe the other blonde was “naive.” Those who were naive didn’t get to live to be this long, unless there was someone fearsome behind them. There was no one hiding behind the curtain for Elise, at least, not anyone that Amell knew of.

Well, getting the majority may be the big push you need, Elise.” Amell said finally, because he had to say something. A smile, warming the cool look in his eyes. “I hope everything gets settled before I go back to the North.” He leaned back in his seat, looking forward. “How exciting. To be a part of history.” A sentiment he hardly felt, at least at this moment.

None could say it wasn't an ambitious plan to begin with, this river around the heartland of Vel Anir (or "moat" as the Governor had uncharitably called it). Yet the most ambitious part, it could be argued, was garnering the support of all seven Great Houses. It wasn't impossible to get a unanimous sentiment among the Houses, but certainly it was no mean feat.

Her father Neil, so Kristen thought, had great acumen in placing her alongside Lady Elise while she engaged in negotiations to see this all done.

"History indeed," Kristen said in agreeance with Amell, again keeping her words sparse. Matters of propriety and respect aside, hers was the task of listening, not so much speaking.

And today, this meeting, it was just one of many; a great many lessons for the attentive ear and inquisitive mind to glean from the esteemed Head of House Virak.

Elise smiled at them both. "Your support, is of course most appreciated."

The Baroness was under no illusions. It would take weeks to gather support for this project, months to take source the proper the funding properly, and likely years to finish. Time was not her ally, but that was nothing new.

She had learned early in her life to be patient.

Elise swept her gaze over her two companions, then slowly flickered her eyes up towards the ornate clock mounted upon the wall. A smile touched her lips, and she slowly rose from her chair. Gently placing her cup of tea upon it's saucer.

"Speaking of which, I believe that it is time for our next meeting." Elise said, smoothing her skirts with a single fluid motion. "Have you met Minister Ordell?"

Vanin Ordell had once been a merchant from the Minor House of Ordell. A supposed genius in the world of finance, the man had managed to claw his way out of the peasantry by the simple nature of his acumen. Something even Elise had to respect.

When the Republic had formed it's first government, Ordell had been appointed as Minister of The Treasury. A position that had previously been held by simpletons and cronies, usually controlled by whatever ruling Alliance had held firm. "He's quite intelligent, though a bit droll."

She smiled. "Which I don't think he'd mind my saying."

Not another meeting. And no less with a man that Elise hinted at being a character. Amell felt once again that Marcus should have been the one to deal with this sort of affair, even if he was oldest son for Quillon. Despite his glum thoughts, Amell easily kept the smile on his face. He was quick to stand up as Elise rose from her chair, and made a mental note that when they got to the next room that he should pull out Kristen’s chair for her as well.

I believe my brother may have, but I cannot say I personally have.” Should he say he looked forward to meeting Minister Ordell? Amell had no problems with lying about such a thing, much less lying in general, yet somehow he couldn’t bring himself to say it.

Something was nagging him in the back of his head. Had something happened with the Minister recently? Amell’s lips pursed thoughtfully for a moment, moving over to open the door for the two noblewomen before following after them. There was something there, a sort of prickle of anxiety.

Amell always listened to his gut.

The Minister of Finance was a new figure, but after the revolution there had been many new faces making waves in the Republic. So why did Ordell’s name stand out so much? Amell continued to mull it over, and once again his mind wandered back to him needing a drink. Or rather, a few drinks now.

Kristen rose when Lady Elise rose, as was only proper. The next meeting, another in a long series of them, each of them featuring a different man or woman who would each require a specific rhetoric to convince, no doubt. Everyone wants something, so Lady Elise had said. Though there was something...frankly diminishing about that statement, like a subtle robbing of something vital from the soul which harbored those wants, the reduction of a person down merely to a set of levers, say, which needed to pulled in some discerned order to get a desired result.

Kristen aspired to political office in the hope of bettering Vel Anir as a whole. But, she wondered in light of these dour thoughts, what was the true reason Father never spoke to her of politics? And was it something that not even the Republic could fix, something endemic in the enterprise of politics itself?

Amell opened the door for them, and Kristen dutifully waited to follow Lady Elise's lead.

"I have not met the Minister either," she said. "Though he sounds like a man who would be, fair to say, quite engrossed in his profession."

To the exclusion of most everything else, hence the "droll" part of Lady Elise's description, but this Kristen left unsaid.

Breaking out into the main halls of their great capital building, Elise lead their little party at a brisk pace. "He is indeed, Kristen."

The Baroness confirmed after listening to her comment, smiling as she lead the way for her two companions. Now the seat of Vel Anir's parliament and home to most of the Republic's ministry Vel Aleros was no less splendid than it had been before the Revolution. Though much of the ostentatious gilt and wrappings the Houses had once provided were now gone, the building was still a piece of Anirian history.

Vel Aleros had stood for centuries, long before the Houses had even wrested control from the Kings. There was something historic about the great palace, and now for the first time men and women born low walked through the halls as equals to people like Elise and her companions.

Minister Ordell was one of those people, and whats more he was a man who had recently made waves. The reason Amell recognized his name being that he had, just a month ago, married a Dreadlord. A move that had sent no small amount of waves through the new free presses of Vel Anir. Some lauding it as another step of progress, while others called the marriage a farce.

Elise, for her part, didn't much care.

Dreadlords had always been discouraged from relationships of any sort, but they had still happened often enough. The fact that this one occurred with the new Minister of Finance? Well, in her mind it simply became a point of leverage.

"I swear when they built this place they turned the corridors into mazes." Elise jested as they turned yet another corner. "His office is just up ahe-"

Suddenly, before Elise could finish speaking, an explosion tore through the sacred halls of Vel Aleros. Minister Ordell's office entirely consumed in a great inferno, shattering the outside wall and sending chunks of ornate stone flying into the streets below. The office door, and the walls around it violently burst apart in a shattering wall of fire and debris heading directly towards the three Nobles in the hallway beyond.

Amell heard it before he felt it. His arm went up to protect his face as he pivoted away from the blast. Heat could be felt surrounding all of them. Debris rocketed against him and Amell was quick to check his clothing. Nothing was on fire and that was a blessing in itself.

The large man turned towards Elise, forgetting formalities for the moment and placing a arm around to draw her close to him. Using his body to shield her from the hallway on fire, Amell began pushing her forward. He looked over at Kristen as he began taking Elise out of the hallway.

I got her.” He shouted, the roar of flames and cries of surprise from outside nearly drowning out his voice. Good thing he shouted for a living. Soon enough he was pulling Elise down the hallway, certain that Kristen, being a initiate and all, could handle herself just fine.

Maybe she could command flames like Selene? That would come in handy right about now.

As soon as the explosion tore through the Finance ministers office strange Black Specks floated over Elise's eyes. They were small, almost imperceptible, like a dozen leaves flowing beneath the surface of a river. A blink would have been enough to miss them.

With pure instinct Elise drew upon the Well.

Perhaps a foolish decision here in the halls of government where even the walls had ears, but she was only human, and she wanted to live. A thin, invisible film formed in front of Elise, blocking the initial shockwave and protecting her from even a single scratch.

It shattered as Amell suddenly turned, practically throwing himself around her in protection. Shock colored Elise's feature, mostly because she'd not expected the soldier to move so quickly. With a rush she huddled beneath his arm, following along quickly and wiping away all presence of magic around her.

They rushed through the halls, alarm bells now ringing, soldiers and statesmen moving to their respective duties. The former running towards the flames, while the latter began to scramble to evacuate. Elise glanced back, seeming to stop as she nudged Amell in the side. "Kristen."

She said suddenly, surprised at the distress in her voice.

This was not something of her own design, someone else was meddling. A thousand thoughts rushed through the Baronesses mind, but one stuck first and foremost.

"Where is she?" Elise demanded, glancing around. Her eyes latched onto Amell.

As the two nobles came to a halt, the Guard rushed forward. Two soldiers dressed in heavy plate rushed with swords already drawn, one moving to Kristen's side to check on her as the other rushed forward towards the destroyed room.

Everywhere around them lay dozens of papers. Most of them marked with the same odd symbol.

Kristen wasn’t right behind them?

Amell paused, looking back over his shoulder. When he looked back at Elise, there was no guilt or remorse on his face. Felix wouldn’t care if Amell if saved Kristen Pirian, a young woman not on his radar. Felix would care immensely if Amell took care of Elise.

As he had put it, following through on Elise’s whims were following through on his own whims. Amell had to play this game that constantly put him on thin ice with his father and Felix.

I thought dreadlords were hardier.” Was all he said. It sounded familiar and he wasn’t sure if he had heard it or said it before. Regardless, wasn’t Val the important Pirian to please? Amell’s brows furrowed. Wouldn’t it put Felix in Pirian’s good graces to have some sort of union through unfortunate means?

Just get out of here, Elise.” Amell said, turning to run after the guards that had just ran past them. It was bad timing, or maybe an unfortunate twist of fate that had Amell’s knee acting up. He grunted, falling to the ground as his knee gave out, the pain too much to endure even for a man of discipline like he was.

He caught himself, hands touching the ground and gripping one of the papers scattered about. He saw then the symbol. Icy eyes narrowed, partly in the frustration of his weakened knee but mostly because of these strange papers. Slowly, he stood up, gripping one of the papers.

The guardsmen were getting Kristen. Amell Quillon would figure out another way in pleasing the Pirian household. Maybe when Felix actually wanted it and saw the opportunity.

A large and ugly welt was buried beneath the blood gushing down the right side of Kristen's face. Her cheekbone, her jaw on that side, both broken, and elsewhere were there fractures. Her father Neil, her mother Josephine, would both struggle to recognize at first her countenance, so marred was it now.

She was unresponsive to the soldiers.

”What?!” Elise demanded as Amell slowly unhooked himself from her form. Withdrawing and muttering something about Dreadlords as he stepped back over towards the way they had come. ”Lord Quillion!”

She called after him. ”I will most certainly not just ‘stay here!’”

The Baroness was about to step up and follow after Amell, but before she could one of the other Guardsmen stepped in front of her. He looked apologetic, but he quickly shook his head and barred the way for the Noble.

“I’m sorry, My Lady but I ca-”

A noise of frustration flickered passed Elise’s throat, but quickly she shook her head. Instantly deciding that she would not be leaving, the Baronness instead snapped up another roll. Looking to the Guardsmen in front of her she took charge.

”Very well, you, you and you.” She pointed to several other nearby soldiers. ”Create a cordone around the area, find any nearby do-”

Like a whirlwind of organization Elise took charge of the recovery efforts. Ordering soldier and civilian alike like a master puppeteer.

“She’s not responsive!” One of the soldiers called, dragging the gauntlet from his finger and quickly placing two fingertips against Kristen’s throat. A clatter of metal called out as the other Guardsmen returned, looking down at his companion.

“Fetch a medic!” The other man nodded, quickly beginning to sprint down the hall before his companion besides Kristen called out. “Better yet, a healer!”

He shouted.

Amell would hear the clatter of the man’s armor as he came sprinting back down the hall. His voice calling out for a medic or healer.