Every breed of dragon has its unique challenges in reproducing. The red dragons are thought to be so violent that their mating is more likely to end in the death of one of the pair than any successful eggs; the Tsonye dragons need to give birth half buried in the earth; and the Ēarendel dragons are known to eat their own eggs. But the Moon Dragons perhaps have the most saddening curse. Not only is the laying, hatching and physical mating dictated by the wanes of the moon, but like many of the draconic breeds in Thanasis the Moon Dragons are believed to mate for life and finding that mate only becomes possible during the Eclipse.
- Exert from, The Natural Theory: A Guide for Breeders, by Scholar Morticia Phalange.
"I heard that when the Moon Dragons take to the skies and dance, it's like watching the stars themselves fall in love," Ingrid sighed aloud to the class who were busy scratching down the last thing Vhagor had said about dragon anatomy and the importance of protecting the vulnerable regions. Several pairs of eyes flicked up to watch for their tutors reaction. All day the Cadets had been begging to be let off their duties so they might go and help with the preparations for the Dance of the Moon Dragons, but the pleas had fallen on deaf ears and so they had carried out their usual chores. Vhagor was being deliberately harsh, he knew. Other High Ascendants had let their classes go early or had cancelled classes altogether, but there was something about this Eclipse that had put the old soldier on edge.
Eclipses unnerved him anyway. That they happened three times a year was an extreme source of discomfort for Vhagor but at least it only lasted a day and most of the dragons managed to keep their heads during it. This Eclipse was different. The scholars had predicted its coming for the past year reading the portents as they normally did. It would last not one but three whole days and bring with it a Great and Terrible Darkness. Was the bloody moon blotting out the bloody sun not a terrible darkness enough? But Vhagor had known the Darkness was some prophetic riddle the moment he had woken up on the first morning. The bright iridescent bond that connected him to Nyxondra had been blurred. For the first time in years they had misunderstood one another and nearly come close to an actual argument. Even flying together had been erratic and uncomfortable.
The the Sea Serpents had fled the sea.
Nothing good had ever come of that omen.
After that, Vhagor had decided to keep his Cadets as close as possible which meant extra classes, training and general misery for those under his tutelage. However, even he could not deny them the chance to attend the actual Dance of the Moon Dragons. Not only was it indeed a spectacle everyone deserved to witness, it was for many a religious and sacred festival and more than two of the Cadets under his care were bonded to a moon dragon who would take to the skies that night in the hope of finding their forever love.
"I think that is enough for today," Vhagor said with a deep, resigned sigh, closing the heavy tome he had been reading from in front of him. The cadets exchanged excited glances. "You are excused," shouts and cheers went up amongst the class quickly followed by the scraping back of chairs and hurried rustle of paper as they gathered up their belongings and fled before Vhagor could change his mind. In the silence of the empty class the High Ascended heaved another sigh and opened the top of his draw. From within he produced a small glass bottle which he unstopped and then took a swig of the golden liquor within. Even through the fuzzy bond he could sense Nyx's disapproval.
"It's going to be a long Dance," he grimaced but put the bottle back before rising to seek out his dragon.
Welcome to the Thanasis Syzygy event! This event in particular is based within the city of Thanasis itself but the wider site Syzygy event has a Malakath section which is going to be off the countries wider coast. You can join in both events if you wish just remember they will be happening at the same time!
Impacts on dragons:
Impacts on dragons:
- All dragons: All magic will be erratic during the Syzygy event right down to dragon fire. It might be uncontrollable at times, hotter than usual, or suddenly stop when you most need it. Wider dragon related magicks will also be on the fritz. It might do the complete opposite of what it normally does, might not work at all, or come in fits and starts.
- Sea Serpents: The Sea Serpents have been the most negatively affected by the Syzygy event. All of them have fled from the sea and refuse to return to the waters. Some of them have begun to show a horrible sickness and the dragon healer quarters are already quite full with dealing with this suspected new disease.
- Sun dragons: Without the sun for three consecutive days sun dragons are likely to feel incredibly lethargic and sluggish. Some of the older beasts have gone into a hibernation state completely.
- Moon dragons: Imbued by the unnatural strength of this Eclipse the moon dragons have been filled with an almost awe-inspiring level of magic. For some of the moon dragons this has sent them to near insanity.
- Riders had reported bonds feeling 'fuzzy' or 'diluted'.
- They might struggle to communicate with their dragons like normal and feel out of sync resulting in nasty mishaps.
- Some riders have also reported feeling a sickness, headaches and general nausea.