Open Chronicles Once Upon A Dream

A roleplay open for anyone to join
He asked for a pinch, and he got a punch.

Alright, not a punch, that was hyperbolic, but in the initial shock of getting slapped when he expected something lighter it might as well have been. His flimsy mask hadn't done all that much to stop it. Kade whipped up his non-sore hand to the fresh red mark on his face, his shock and surprise evident.

"Ow! I said pinch, man, pinch, not--"

But the Blond-Man was busy talking to himself. Bewildering enough on its own. And then he hauled off and slapped himself. To be fair, no one ever said pinching or slapping yourself in a lucid dream to wake up wouldn't work. The results spoke for themselves though.

Kade hadn't woken up. No one was waking up. He couldn't explain it, he knew as much as a beetle did about a pyramid regarding this whole ordeal, but the realization was dawning on him.

The Blond Man, Rhydian the High Priest, the Empress Medja. Kade glanced to the three of them, vaguely taking note of the abnormally tall men and women populating the rest of the party. All of them were real. This was real.

Kade brought a hand to his forehead and looked as though his knees might buckle.

"I'm really here," he said to himself. Breathless. "I don't know where here is and I'm really here..."

At least with the Tower of Tribulations, he knew exactly what he had gotten himself into. Here?

He swallowed nervously, forgetting entirely in the moment the delicious taste of the grapes.

Fritz Erlain Rhydian Fairwater Medja
Anyway, as I’m sure everyone already guessed, the tension in this room is rising. Soon, I bet walking around among the Fae will get dangerous. They are worse than nobles. I always thought they would..well, be like stories tell them, and not…erm…” He paused then whispered the next part: not bitches.

“Obviously none of the Non-humans will help us, so…We have to get the person running this’s attention. I feel like we wouldn’t be here out of respect and more…for someone’s fun. Someone turned into a dog after drinking alcohol, which definitely is going to make me a bit more nervous about hard drinks, not that I like them that much.” He said seriously.

“So, I have a bright idea. Fae don’t like humans, so maybe we could use that to our advantage. We need to, for the ones that are not already superior to most, such as Rhys, Grape Lord, and I, pretend to be above, well, humanity. We have to carry ourselves equal to them. Equal to the Fae. This is likely to attract the most attention.” He said.

“Although, it might also be the most risky route. After all, as Medja said, we do not want die here, as it apparently will not allow us to wake up. If anyone has any better ideas though, I’d be open to them.”

”We also need an identifier of sorts in case any of us go through magical changes in perception or appearance, no? I’d say a glass, because the breaking of it makes a good amount of noise, as well as silences chatter.” He said, with a calculating look.

Rhydian Fairwater

Last edited:
Ameris - Who is this beautiful woman you've laid eyes upon? She is something out of your wildest dreams, the veil of illusion drawn over your eyes as well. You know her and are compelled to speak to her so strangely, as if there is some deep history and connection between you. Play your part well and live a dream you've never held in life.

Ameris was steered away from his father by a strange force that he did not question. Dreams had a tendency to do whatever they wanted and he would go along with it.

It was not long before his head was turned and he saw her. A vision of pale skin, blonde hair, and a beautiful green dress that brought our her eyes. Her eyes and the lower part of her face was all he could see thanks to the mask but he knew her.

Ameris would know her anywhere.

He had not seen her in so long and she was here looking radiant.

The woman - he could not remember her name for the life of him - walked towards him and he smiled. Genuine happiness lighting up his face. She stopped before him and he bent to place a soft kiss on her lips. The mask stopping him from anything more.

"Hello, love. Why have you been away so long?"

Fraeya

• Ctuhlu senpai
  • Dab
Reactions: Fraeya and Mab
And why not be who you are now?” Elio, took another sip. To him, it tasted much like his concoctions he created whenever he had a sore throat— ginger, mint, and other things. The smell was comforting, and so he drank more, not realizing that the more he drank, the smaller and hairier he was getting. Or rather he noticed and didn’t care because really, he was starting to feel so relaxed right now. Worries and troubles ebbed away little by little as Elio shrunk more and more.

Duanann aren’t bad. Humans aren’t bad. No one is bad.” He continued, his philosophy ringing in his ears. “It’s more of a matter of principles. Fae and humans could have the same principles. And other mortals. Look at everything that surrounds us. New opinions, new opportunities, new— mrreow.” Elio shook his small body out of the heavy outfit, mask and glass splayed around him, now looking like a black house cat with emerald green eyes. He yawned, whiskers twitching, and then rubbed himself up against Astrid’s calf.

Little one, pick me up.” Elio prompted, much like cats normally did with all the authority in the entire world inside their little bodies. “I wish to explore this place and show you just how interesting others can be. And perhaps we’ll experience mischief of others!” People watching, Elio wouldn’t admit it, but it was a favorite pastime of his. And he was going to show Astrid just how much fun it could be!

Astrid Bielke

Goodness gracious this was becoming dull to the point of tedium. Medja folded her arms across her chest and tapped the fingers of one hand impatiently on her elbow. Watching all of this unfold was rapidly becoming tedious. Gods, she couldn't even reliably drink to pass the time away, lest she randomly find herself in the form of some animal or lusting after a stranger.

"I don't know where here is and I'm really here..."

"Well, I can tell you where we're not," She sighed, already over the initial novelty of this whimsical pocket of space. "Somewhere worthy of my time or interest."

If the Empress had to be bored and surrounded by some of the most incredibly banal of what the fae species had to offer, she might as well get comfortable. Fritz thought it a good idea to garner attention, to act as if on their level? Ha! Then the display that would follow would certainly turn a few heads.

Medja smirked as she casually lifted a hand, fingers upturned, and felt the earth beneath the garden start to rumble. How gracious of their 'host' to both provide raw materials and leave her geomancy unrestricted. In a mere moment, a chunk of earth ripped itself from the ground beneath her and began to float a few feet off the ground. No sooner had it done so that Medja closed her hand into a fist and began to mold that which she had pulled forth.

It took only seconds for her to craft herself an elaborate, floating throne, one which she settled into with all the grace, dignity, and caliber of a true noble. She exaggeratedly folded one leg across the other, then rested her chin on the back of her hand and began to examine her nails.

The Empress was not 'equal to the fae.' She was, quite literally, above them.

Goodness gracious this was becoming dull to the point of tedium. Medja folded her arms across her chest and tapped the fingers of one hand impatiently on her elbow. Watching all of this unfold was rapidly becoming tedious. Gods, she couldn't even reliably drink to pass the time away, lest she randomly find herself in the form of some animal or lusting after a stranger.

"Well, I can tell you where we're not," She sighed, already over the initial novelty of this whimsical pocket of space. "Somewhere worthy of my time or interest."

If the Empress had to be bored and surrounded by some of the most incredibly banal of what the fae species had to offer, she might as well get comfortable. Fritz thought it a good idea to garner attention, to act as if on their level? Ha! Then the display that would follow would certainly turn a few heads.

Medja smirked as she casually lifted a hand, fingers upturned, and felt the earth beneath the garden start to rumble. How gracious of their 'host' to both provide raw materials and leave her geomancy unrestricted. In a mere moment, a chunk of earth ripped itself from the ground beneath her and began to float a few feet off the ground. No sooner had it done so that Medja closed her hand into a fist and began to mold that which she had pulled forth.

It took only seconds for her to craft herself an elaborate, floating throne, one which she settled into with all the grace, dignity, and caliber of a true noble. She exaggeratedly folded one leg across the other, then rested her chin on the back of her hand and began to examine her nails.

The Empress was not 'equal to the fae.' She was, quite literally, above them.
Fritz whistled, impressed. He grinned at the bold display of power, and dared to ask: "So, you apparently, no, evidently, have another idea...you want to make it clear that we are all not just above humans, but above the fae as well? I mean, essentially tearing up someone's garden sends the message that you give zero shits, so good start. Well played indeed."

"I believe we must all step up to the plate and attract attention, so...watch this." he said with a conspiratorial smile as he grabbed a glass of wine.

"UGH! This wine is worse than the scent of my farmers after a long day in the fields!" he said loudly, pouring the alcohol to the ground with a look of exaggerated disgust, then placing the china glass on it's side on the floor gently before crushing it underfoot.

"Trash, I say, for ones such as us! Where could the bastard who started this whole event have gotten such crappy drink?" he finished with a smug grin.

"Ok, so...that should be sufficient for my part. I believe maybe this will eventually get me bludgeoned or exploded or stabbed to death in the real world, but it will be worth it in the now to get out of this dream. Actually, maybe I was a bit too bold."

"Anyway, who's up next? You might as well do something cool, because they are about to possibly beat us to death either way."

"Oh Lord Kor Aren, my apologies, I've heard quite alot about you from Cee, nice to finally meet one of her esteemed friends," he could tell the other man was sizing him up, studying him. It was true he didn't have long list accolades or distinctions like the man before him, but he was still young and more than ready to prove himself.

"Perhaps we should spend some time in future to get to know another, a hunt maybe?" he would play nice with Cee's friends he might perhaps the two of them would get along with each other, maybe even more that but there was no use speculating but he will try for Cee's sake.

Asemir Ceilidh Trahan

Last edited:
  • Nervous
Reactions: Mab
An inelegant social faux pas in the presence of fae Royalty was as much an offense in the dreaming realm as it was in the waking. Regardless of the fact that the man tried to cover his misstep, Asemir wasn't convinced. Real or not, this was his dream and he felt no pressing need to smooth things over.

"Mmm," he began in response, the furrow of his brow lingering like an unwelcome dark cloud in the sky, "I don't hunt anymore." And that was the end of that exchange. His glacial gaze shifted to Ceilidh and a hand moved back to her upper arm with a gentle squeeze, "I'll stop by to return your necklace in a few days."

He'd send her a forward letter when he woke up, just in case this wasn't actually real.

With that, the man afforded the gala event a discontent sweep of his gaze and then turned to make his exit. Having courted the Winter Queen and been privy, prisoner, and participant in her dream shenanigans, Asemir was well versed in undoing her magic ... usually. She'd be quite busy with so many dreamers to look after, and so he stepped behind an alabaster pillar, reached a hand out to the air, and felt for the tiniest hairsbreadth of arcane separation. Like finding a single spinder's thread amidst a sea of silk strands, he plucked at it gently, pressed his fingertips through the tear and pushed it aside like a curtain.

When he stepped through and dropped the thread, it wove itself together again - leaving it to look as though he'd simply vanished in thin air within the dreamscape.

Instead he'd stepped out not into the fathomless realm of his own subconscious, but a foundational dreamscape within which she'd staged it all.

Mmm. His frown returned. Asemir sighed and began to walk.

Ceilidh Trahan Griogair Llywelyn Mab

At least Griogair tried to be nice. Ceilidh would have to have a conversation with him in the waking world tomorrow...today...in the morning. She did not need one of her best friends hating the first person to make her happy since Traynor's death.

She was mid drink of water when Asemir mentioned bringing her necklace back and she choked on it. Her free hand fluttered to her chest where the gold necklace no longer was. Fucking asshole! She did not have time to respond before he disappeared into the crowd. He had brought up the necklace on purpose.

She let out a low growl at Ase's back. She would murder him when he did bring that necklace back. "He is prickly, but thank you for trying to be civil. He is one of my best friends and it is important that you get along." She did not need to add that if they didn't, she would certainly pick Asemir and their many years of friendship over her baby's father.

Cold-hearted, but the truth.

Griogair Llywelyn

By the time Kade's initial shock dwindled enough for him to focus, he was already behind on the current goings-on. Empress Medja had gotten a floating throne from somebody (oh, hey, wasn't that nice?) and the Blond Man had mentioned some things which had gone completely over Kade's head.

The Fae.

...so, who or what was a Fae? What was he talking about? Everybody here was human, so far as Kade could tell. For all his life, Kade was concerned with relatively few things: helping out his Mom and Dad, scrounging for food or coin to make sure his sister Aisha and little brother Tahir didn't have to go hungry, and getting better at his chosen craft of pickpocketing and petty thievery. If he were asked, Kade couldn't tell anybody much of anything about the world outside of Ragash, and less so outside of the Empire. The scope of his life was just very narrow--he didn't even know Vizier Medja had become Empress Regent in Emperor Gerra's stead until he was thirty minutes out from an audience with her! He didn't even know she was from Ragash too until that same moment!

Kade Anvar had no idea about the truth of this place, nor its inhabitants.

He raised his hands, pleading for a moment to speak from the Blond Man, "Hey, hey, hey, slow down. I don't know what's going on. What is a Fae, and why are they important?"

He glanced from the Blond Man to Empress Medja. What did Zami Fein say was the proper address for an Empress?

"Your Imperial Majesty," Kade said, his voice small and nervous. She was the Empress, and who was he? Nobody. "Do...do you know what's going on?"

Medja Fritz Erlain Rhydian Fairwater

Truth be told, Rhydian was disappointed. Fritz seemed entirely incompetent, and Medja, or should he say, Empress Medja, clearly had machinations of her own. She wasn't really interested in helping anyone. And she probably was the only person here who could.

If the plan was to draw attention, it could get them all evicted from this nightmare, but it could also incite a war with the Fae, which was not really something Rhydian wanted to have happen. He didn't have Medja's magic. His magic was divine magic, bestowed upon him by his desert God.

He wasn't a Geomancer, he was a priest. He couldn't rip the earth apart the way the Emperess' magic could, but he did have some semblance of control over it, that, and the sunlight, which didn't seem to really exist in this place.

Rhydian bowed his head, and said a secret prayer to himself and his God. He spoke it internally so that no one could hear it. He knew that the secret prayer would grant him some semblance of power, power even in the darkest of caves, dreams or nightmares such as this. He took off the mask and placed it on a side table next to an empty champagne flute. He noticed his blindfold was tied around his left wrist. He loosened it and fastened it back over his eyes.

No one should see the color of them.

He had never seen the color of them.

He felt much more like himself. He was feeling more confident, more optimistic, and more powerful, as if his own familiar sun was in fact overhead, nourishing him, protecting him.

He began to radiate heat from his body. Like Medja, he was pleased that there was plenty of natural material around him. The ground shook beneath him. The Earth split apart, bursting, gently, into gravel and sand, it whirled around him like a dust devil. The energy from the micro Sandstorm allowed him to also levitate.

He didn't usually fly, he preferred to be barefoot and upon the ground, but this gave him an interesting vantage point over the curious and mystical partygoers.

By the time Kade's initial shock dwindled enough for him to focus, he was already behind on the current goings-on. Empress Medja had gotten a floating throne from somebody (oh, hey, wasn't that nice?) and the Blond Man had mentioned some things which had gone completely over Kade's head.

The Fae.

...so, who or what was a Fae? What was he talking about? Everybody here was human, so far as Kade could tell. For all his life, Kade was concerned with relatively few things: helping out his Mom and Dad, scrounging for food or coin to make sure his sister Aisha and little brother Tahir didn't have to go hungry, and getting better at his chosen craft of pickpocketing and petty thievery. If he were asked, Kade couldn't tell anybody much of anything about the world outside of Ragash, and less so outside of the Empire. The scope of his life was just very narrow--he didn't even know Vizier Medja had become Empress Regent in Emperor Gerra's stead until he was thirty minutes out from an audience with her! He didn't even know she was from Ragash too until that same moment!

Kade Anvar had no idea about the truth of this place, nor its inhabitants.

He raised his hands, pleading for a moment to speak from the Blond Man, "Hey, hey, hey, slow down. I don't know what's going on. What is a Fae, and why are they important?"

He glanced from the Blond Man to Empress Medja. What did Zami Fein say was the proper address for an Empress?

"Your Imperial Majesty," Kade said, his voice small and nervous. She was the Empress, and who was he? Nobody. "Do...do you know what's going on?"

Medja Fritz Erlain Rhydian Fairwater
"The- You haven't realized yet? We are in a dream. The person orchestrating this dream is most likely fae.
Fae is the shortened word for fairy or since we haven't narrowed it down, a magical creature or non-human, such as a dwarf or ogre, elf or orc. You know of one of the most powerful people in the world apparently personally but have no knowledge of such subjects?"

"Also, very impressive, spooky eyed apparently technically not blind blind guy! Next, can you make like a…sandwich that tastes like a sandwich, but out of sand? I’m famished, but I don’t really trust any of this stuff.” He said, before walking off for a minute.

“Ho! It took a second to get up here, but I climbed up the back of the Imperial whosewhatzits’s levitating throne! It was very smooth though, so I had to kick and punch a couple of hand and foot holds in. I still don't really know how I did it, but My father used to tell me I had the strength of a dwarf, so that probably helped. Medja, do you mind? I can get off if you want. My legs just sort of hurt from standing and having to listen to everybody talk."

"Actually, wait! Rhydian! Commune with Tulip'head, and try to see if he can figure this out." he said with a deliberately annoying smirk

Fritz knew the name of the God. He did. He could have said it too, but he was good at reading people, and Rhy thought Fritz was an A grade dumbass. He was very wrong.

"Ah, wait...I forgot! It was a really long time ago though, so I forgive myself." he said

flim flam, go kabam,
Whoever this hits I give no shits.

A magical fire explosion missile appeared in his hand. "Someone taught me how to do this! Im guessing nobody cares what we do, so I'm going to fire this at the ceiling, ok?"

What a marvelous idea! Mab watched their expressions of wonder and confusion, the light in their eyes as the magick took root in their minds. Ah, sweet, beautiful love! She sighed wistfully as she watched them approach one another -- watched as Ameris kissed Fraeya. They each saw what they wanted to. It was perfect.

Now! Who else was here? She surveyed the rest of the dream unfolding. There was a pocket of mortals conspiring together, and their theories and tests were beginning to draw attention... and interrupt the dreams of others. They were aware of the illusion but could neither see through it nor escape it. Mab had let them carry on, allowed them ponder their conundrum a little while longer. How boring it would be to spend it pondering this mystery rather than embracing this privilege! Now that they were trying to get into trouble, it was not nearly as fun.

Well then, what was she going to do to liven things up? Zipping between puppets, she touched their threads like a harpist. They sang and glowed, some gold and some silver. The room shuddered to a halt, time paused for the dreamers as she plucked out a lovely tune for this little group of playthings.

Somewhere in the dream, Mab felt a single thread being pulled and the pocket opening. The dream outside of the dream morphed; a dreamer was now prowling in her private domain. Mab turned with her silver eyes blazing toward the tear. Not only had someone managed to get out, but they were quite literally seeing behind the curtain

The moment she saw who it was, however, none of that mattered. Mab's heart skipped a beat and she smiled brilliantly.

"Lord Kor Aren," she said gently, amusement and good humor softening her tone. She put a hand on her hip and looked down at her very casual attire of silk pajamas of yellow and teal, cranes soaring lazily across the pants and jacket. It was comfortable, familiar. It was the opposite of the attire featured in the ball happening around them yet below them -- just the sort of thing he would pick for her.

"Interesting choice," she laughed. She looked at her friend oddly, then gestured to the room between them. "Welcome back to the music box. It has been a while."

Here, Asemir was privy to the inner workings of the dreamscape. He could see the puppets and their strings, the dreamers moving around silently with wooden bodies and painted faces.

"One moment, please."

Mab turned back toward her work. She stroked the glowing strings and the dream staggered back to life. For some, the pocket of humans, some would find their dream very changed.
Medja - You are so lovely, queen. Keep slaying. Oh, and ignore the snickers of laughter behind you. I'm sure it's nothing. Pay those plebes no mind. You know they're just jealous.

Everyone else: The Empress Regent has the ears and tail of a donkey. She can neither see nor feel them, however. Good luck convincing her.
Fritz Erlain - Oops! Your magic is no longer working! What a bummer. Who are you, anyhow? Oh, that's right! You are an empress! Your name was… Medja, I think? Yes, that's it! The beautiful and powerful Empress Regent of the Empire. And what ho! An impostor!

Everyone else: Fritz still looks like Fritz.
Kade Anvar - The next thing you think of will appear. Anything. Well, maybe not anything. But if it's an animal or an object or a person… or even loosely within that criteria, sure. It only works once, though. Too bad you don't know it's about to happen. Ah, but life gives us lemons!

Finished with that, Mab wiped her hands together and twirled toward Asemir.

"Have you grown bored of my party already?" She threw him a knowing grin. She knew that he knew that she knew exactly how he felt about parties. "You are surely not here just to see me. How droll. So many people here, familiar and strange, and yet you choose to visit the one you already know the most about."

Mab tsked. He made very little sense to her these days.

"And before you ask, no, I did not invite you. My chaos must have missed your company." She smirked. It wasn't the only part of her that had missed him.

Fearies

Fynaurie gave a little twirl of her floaty dress. She had never worn a skirt before, let alone a fine dress.

There was an elegant woman above them on a thone. Fynaurie wondered if Medja was some kind of fearie. The donkey ears were probably some kind of inside joke and mischief.

Her eyes went wide when she saw the food and wine. Beautiful dress be damned, she was making headway for that table.

• Yay
  • Sip
Reactions: Medja and Mab
What a marvelous idea! Mab watched their expressions of wonder and confusion, the light in their eyes as the magick took root in their minds. Ah, sweet, beautiful love! She sighed wistfully as she watched them approach one another -- watched as Ameris kissed Fraeya. They each saw what they wanted to. It was perfect.

Now! Who else was here? She surveyed the rest of the dream unfolding. There was a pocket of mortals conspiring together, and their theories and tests were beginning to draw attention... and interrupt the dreams of others. They were aware of the illusion but could neither see through it nor escape it. Mab had let them carry on, allowed them ponder their conundrum a little while longer. How boring it would be to spend it pondering this mystery rather than embracing this privilege! Now that they were trying to get into trouble, it was not nearly as fun.

Well then, what was she going to do to liven things up? Zipping between puppets, she touched their threads like a harpist. They sang and glowed, some gold and some silver. The room shuddered to a halt, time paused for the dreamers as she plucked out a lovely tune for this little group of playthings.

Somewhere in the dream, Mab felt a single thread being pulled and the pocket opening. The dream outside of the dream morphed; a dreamer was now prowling in her private domain. Mab turned with her silver eyes blazing toward the tear. Not only had someone managed to get out, but they were quite literally seeing behind the curtain

The moment she saw who it was, however, none of that mattered. Mab's heart skipped a beat and she smiled brilliantly.

"Lord Kor Aren," she said gently, amusement and good humor softening her tone. She put a hand on her hip and looked down at her very casual attire of silk pajamas of yellow and teal, cranes soaring lazily across the pants and jacket. It was comfortable, familiar. It was the opposite of the attire featured in the ball happening around them yet below them -- just the sort of thing he would pick for her.

"Interesting choice," she laughed. She looked at her friend oddly, then gestured to the room between them. "Welcome back to the music box. It has been a while."

Here, Asemir was privy to the inner workings of the dreamscape. He could see the puppets and their strings, the dreamers moving around silently with wooden bodies and painted faces.

"One moment, please."

Mab turned back toward her work. She stroked the glowing strings and the dream staggered back to life. For some, the pocket of humans, some would find their dream very changed.
Medja - You are so lovely, queen. Keep slaying. Oh, and ignore the snickers of laughter behind you. I'm sure it's nothing. Pay those plebes no mind. You know they're just jealous.

Everyone else: The Empress Regent has the ears and tail of a donkey. She can neither see nor feel them, however. Good luck convincing her.
Fritz Erlain - Oops! Your magic is no longer working! What a bummer. Who are you, anyhow? Oh, that's right! You are an empress! Your name was… Medja, I think? Yes, that's it! The beautiful and powerful Empress Regent of the Empire. And what ho! An impostor!

Everyone else: Fritz still looks like Fritz.
Kade Anvar - The next thing you think of will appear. Anything. Well, maybe not anything. But if it's an animal or an object or a person… or even loosely within that criteria, sure. It only works once, though. Too bad you don't know it's about to happen. Ah, but life gives us lemons!

Finished with that, Mab wiped her hands together and twirled toward Asemir.

"Have you grown bored of my party already?" She threw him a knowing grin. She knew that he knew that she knew exactly how he felt about parties. "You are surely not here just to see me. How droll. So many people here, familiar and strange, and yet you choose to visit the one you already know the most about."

"And before you ask, no, I did not invite you. My chaos must have missed your company." She smirked. It wasn't the only part of her that had missed him.
Suddenly, a strange feeling overcame him. He knew that whoever it was running this did it to him. That was their fatal mistake. He could still sense their not very quick fading magical presence. he decided that it probably made him not be himself by the searing glare he was giving the actual Medja, who he apparently seemed to think was an impostor.

Quickest remedy, since his magic was not working: think on other things relating to Fritz Erlain. "So, Kade! Have you ever heard of a Basilisk? Apparently they are HUUUGE snake like creatures. I've worked with their teeth, which are highly poisonous, but never seen one."

He then glanced at Medja and tried hard not to laugh. Not only was she an impostor, but she had an ass's ears.

No, that would be mean. Trip or tumble I would laugh, but magic is forced, and laughing at someone who can't control what is happening is a warning sign of a sociopath, which I am not. Now, time to go find whoever it was that made me such a jerk.

He might as well tell Medja though, because although it would look mean, this was the best way for her to get over it.

"You have Donkey ears. I'm not joking. This is not an insult. Ask anyone they will tell you the same. I would recommend you get working to dispel them." he then cringed and ran off, sort of annoyed with himself for how lazily he delivered such an obnoxious statement.

He followed a weird feeling in his head, and bumped into someone. When he laid his eyes upon her, the feeling that he, no, she, was an empress and that the person back there was a nobody fake became incredibly powerful, and he almost left and went back to shout at everybody.

Somehow, He resisted and waited until she had finished talking to someone he didn't know, then said in a lightly dangerous voice: "You. You are the person who's making everything weird. So help me my magic isn't working, I feel like a person I just spent the last hour talking to is now not the empress and instead I am. Oh, and she has the ears of a donkey," with a straight face. It crinkled and he snickered at the sentence.

"Remember, humans are dumbasses, not going to argue that point. But our vengeance knows no bounds. Piss anyone of us off and kill anyone of us, It'll get bad. Using magic to force people to do things and feel things certainly makes you look like quite the bitch, no?"

(Kade Anvar up to you and possibly Mab but this is her fault any if you want to summon a Basilisk. It would make for a really interesting story.)

Last edited:
  • Nervous
  • Sip
Reactions: Kade Anvar and Mab
"Lord Kor Aren,"

The words stopped him in his tracks. He should have known she'd find him before he managed to step out of her realm of subconscious machinations. Figured she'd be much too busy with her puppets to see, or perhaps even to care that he was making an exit. Asemir turned to find himself proven wrong ... and unprepared for her wardrobe. The man's expression leavened at the sight - the saffron silken nightwear sprouting what felt an endless sea of memories to which it was associated.

Sure, she always looked so beautiful in blue, but because of those pajamas his favorite color for Mab would forever and always secretly be yellow.

Silence became him as he watched the Winter Queen pluck her little dream strings and giggle with mirth at her harmless mischief. Asemir might've found some amusement in it all back then, but now he found it to be tedious and a waste of her powers. What good she could have done - brought missing or dead loved ones back to those that had survived them just so they could enjoy one another's company for a simple dream. Helped those struggling to find love make the connections they so desperately needed. Joined lost ones with their matches...

Instead she was playing games and making light of those who clearly seemed discontented by it all. It wasn't in the spirit of Heart & Hearth Day at all.

Asemir's brow furrowed slightly, his eyes glancing away as he withheld those prior thoughts. Truth be told, he didn't know why he was here but he very much knew the only reason he could be was that she'd made it so. Purposefully or not, as he glanced around he thought he knew the truth of it.

"I see..." he mused, giving the woman a considering gaze and turned to approach her slowly, quietly. There was so much he wanted to tell her and say to her, but this would never be the place for it and so much of it was not her burden to bear. Asemir came to a stop just before her, closer now than they had been while dancing at the Spring Coronation. His gaze locked upon her own as he reached forward towards her left arm and gently drew his fingertips down until he found her hand. Lifting it up between them, just under his lips, Asemir sighed, "then perhaps that explains the other letter I received from you today."

She'd feel the folded parchment form itself between their hands just as he lifted her own to plant a kiss upon her knuckles, "Good night, Mab, and happy Heart & Hearth Day."

The barest smile behind her hand crossed his face before he faded from her grasp and the dream, leaving her to hold the letter and pluck her puppet strings as it pleased her.

• Dab
  • Thoughtful
The changeling had only just scooped up her stringed instrument by its neck, her focus drifting away from the Erlking from just a moment. A second. And then his lips were on his own.

And his voice always sounded like dry, crackling leaves. A pinch of rot and decay in the air. And pure power waiting to claim just beneath the earth's surface.

For a brief, traitorous moment, she kissed him back.

The moment passed and she took a staggering step back. She remembered how his son had acted like a drunken dick at the last Autumn Court ball. How he'd possessively made her dance with him. Held her jaw in a bruising grip. And how he'd gotten the reward he'd deserved for such actions.

The Erlkin's lips on her own triggered that memory she'd had with Prince Lorcan. And before she could really think about what she was doing, she stepped back and her hand raised to slap the Autumn Court King in the face.

Ameris

• Nervous
Reactions: Mab
One moment she was drifting off in bed next to Edric in a small city once known as Vel Orius, now called Wissburg, the next she was stirring on a marble bench out within a grand hedge maze garden. Ralene Banick wasn't one to sleep like the dead, so when the scent of stone and fire and charcoal was suddenly replaced with that of flowers and banquet and the wafting perfumes of Lords and Ladies ... her eyes shot open.

"Ed ... what's that smell? Is that flowers?" Ral muttered, and when her mission companion didn't respond she pushed herself up with alarm, "Edric?"

But this wasn't the smithy house, nor was she in Wissburg anymore. She found herself surrounded by greenery with the marble face of a beauteous woman sculpture watching over her from behind.

What the fuck was going on?

A closer inspection of herself as she moved to her feet, Ralene found her plainclothes gone, replaced by a form-fitted red top and a flowing black skirt embroidered with flowers. The runic tattoos and scarification of her bare lower arms were missing and the weight of a golden necklace hung nestled about her neck. Her fingers, once rough and calloused from forge work and Dreadlord training, were now healed and clean with polished nails.

They moved to the weight of a mask on her face, touching it briefly before her attention was stolen by the sound of footsteps.

Ralene was confused - she'd never had dreams like this before. Had something in their evening meal been tampered with? Had she been poisoned? Or had Edric's concern about something darker, more powerful and sinister going on in Wissburg been true ... had they been found out?

She didn't take the time to consider any of it for too long, but instead moved quickly to vacate the clearing of the hedge maze, pressing around a wall and out of sight to wait and watch for the owner of the oncoming footsteps.

The woman didn't answer him. She staggered back and then raised a hand to slap him. What the fuck?! He knew he was asshole most of the time but he had never been one to her. He loved her. Why would she want to slap him?

He raised a hand and gentle grabbed her wrist. He pulled it down and looked down at her.

"What did I do? I didn't mean to anger you..."

Fraeya

• Smug
  • Sip
For her part, Medja was blissfully unaware that anything had changed about herself, even after a lingering glance from the freshly arrived Fynaurie. This...Fritz fellow said something about her sprouting donkey ears before walking off in a huff, demeanor having totally shifted. The regent rolled her eyes. Whether they were truly there or not didn't much faze her. If that was the best whoever was running this had to offer in retaliation then they had officially lost her attention.

"Do...do you know what's going on?"

Her knowledge on the subject may have been limited, but she probably knew more than most mortals when it came to this very niche topic. The fae, after all, didn't exactly like to socialize outside their little cliques.
"The fae, young man, are inherently magical beings that live outside the realm of reality as people like you and I interpret it. They are mischievous pranksters at best and dangerous lunatics at worst." She elaborated for Kade, still idly inspecting her nails and apparently unperturbed by Rhydian's own magical outburst.
"I couldn't tell you exactly what's going on, but if I had to hazard a guess I'd say we've all been drawn into some sort of...'game,' shall we say? I'm guessing this place is either illusory or...reality-adjacent."

She glanced down at him curiously. Mask or no, she couldn't deny a lingering sense of familiarity, especially since he seemed to know her...though perhaps that was to be expected now that she had moved into such an illustrious position.
"Where do I know you from, young man?" She queried, eyebrow cocked.

The Blond Man and Empress Medja helped Kade out with quick summaries each about these beings called "the Fae"--Rhydian keeping mostly to himself, other than summoning a swirling wave of sand upon which to levitate.

Kade pressed a hand to one side of his face, his mouth hanging open. He was floored. This was all too much to take in on short notice. He couldn't make sense of it all, really. Magical people, who were as Empress Medja said on the scale between mischievous pranksters and dangerous lunatics, who lived in reality-adjacent places. Reality-adjacent. That very word made his skull pound with the effort to expel it--he'd be blessed by the Six if he never had to hear it again!

Once again, in his world-shattering shock, plenty of the goings-on around him went unnoticed. He could barely get his thoughts straight.

Empress Medja's question brought him back to the here and now. Because there was at least one part of his mind on watch at the metaphorical gates, and it knew damn well that you didn't ignore a question from the Empress. Oh hell no you didn't.

He looked up to her on her throne, his face hidden partially by the sparrow mask he'd entered this place with. He wet his lips, the faint taste of the grapes still upon them. "Your Imperial Majesty, I participated in the Tower of Tribulations."

Right beside him, a fifteen foot tall scale replica of the Tower of Tribulations seemed to form from nothing.

"Yeah, that's it, right there," Kade said, pointing to it, thinking Medja herself had summoned it. "I was there with this cheap sword I got at a bargain price and I remember thinking to myself, 'There's no way Vizier Medja built this whole Tower in a single day. That can't be right. Nobody's that powerful.' Well, heh, I guess...I was wrong, huh?"

He scratched the back of his neck. "I did fairly well. Mostly because a girl named Rania helped me out, but, hey, I wasn't totally useless. Afterward..."

For some reason this part felt incredibly awkward to bring up. Who was he, huh, special? No. He was a street kid who got lucky, that was all. He wasn't entitled to anything, and that's what he thought this was going to sound like. But, might as well say it anyway. "...I guess I was supposed to have an audience or something with you? It-it-it was a mistake, I mean, yeah, it got cancelled fairly quickly. Maybe that's how you heard my name?"

Which he hadn't said yet. Dummy.

"Oh, Kade, by the way, Your Imperial Majesty. Kade Anvar, from Ragash."

Medja Rhydian Fairwater Fritz Erlain Mab

• Popcorn
  • Sip
Reactions: Mab and Medja
Veithir diligently cared for several plants in his modest home. Twice a week, he set his tasks aside to water them. It's not that he had a particular fondness toward them, but the process was therapeutic, as was the manner for these things.

Sometimes, inspiration would strike him in the quiet, and he would pen his thoughts.

You are emptied of all but the oldest want,
Life tomorrow.
But what of time stolen,
Lost between your fingers,
Do you feel a victim of your folly?

Letting lethargy overcome the better parts of himself, Veithir went to lay on a pile of cushions with the balcony door open and drifted to sleep.

When they opened next, he found himself under a tunnel of wisteria. Straight ahead, where lights shimmered brightly, sounds of song and conversation invited him to join, but he turned and peeled the weight of his mask from around his eyes, dropping it behind him.

Veithir wore tight pants and a form-fitting shirt under a coat that trailed behind him as he walked, all black and simple, as he preferred. Bright colors weren't becoming of those that wrestled with shadows.

The Hound walked without purpose or direction, as he would be free of this place soon enough, but regardless of intent, he would have arrived at the clearing amidst the hedge maze. Veithir stopped there and looked at the archways leading to other paths in the maze, then up to the statue's face, as if she would help make up his mind on where to go. But, of course, she offered no such guidance, so Veithir sat at the bench with a quiet sigh.

She waited around the corner of the hedge, hiding out of sight and pressing a branch down just enough to see who stepped into the clearing. A tall man in black had appeared from off to the side, the skin of his exposed hands, neck, and face illuminated by silver marks. His hair immediately brought to mind the images of Dorian, and Delaney - students at the Academy whose hair was white as the driven snow.

There were no weapons on his figure she could see at a glance, but that did not mean there were not weapons at all. He strode with a casual air, lacking purpose but not necessarily in a way that made her think he was lost or confused. Then as he moved to sit at the fountain, the pale fairy lights strung about the clearing cast his tall, pointed ears into relief.

Elf.

Ralene's jaw ground her molars so tightly they threatened to shatter in her mouth. She stepped back, receding from the opening of her current passage and deciding in that moment to find a way out of here that didn't involve having to interact with the elf. She doffed her heels in the process, requiring silence to be her ally in this unknown place and not the incessant clak clak clak-ing of a useless set of footwear.

Plus, fuck heels.

Winding her way through the hedge maze, Ralene attempted to track her turns in her mind, but it felt nearly that the maze itself was moving around her as she moved through it. Every few strides she could hear the rustling of branches and feel a shift of air at her back. It almost seemed to catch up to her, scratching across her back just as she rounded another corner.

The Dreadlord Initiate stopped rather suddenly and turned to face the pathway behind her. Everything stilled under her gaze and then -

WOOSH

The hedges drew in like a deck of folding cards, sending her reeling backwards and spitting her

right back out

into the clearing

on the opposite side of where she'd tried to leave it.

Right in front of Veithir

Ralene had stumbled backwards and landed in a heap, blue eyes wide and wild but not with fright - with rising anger. "Fuck!"

Veithir leaned back and watched with wry amusement as the hedge maze's agitated canopy rustled here and there. Then he recoiled, brows raised as the girl was spat out before him. Flinched as she hissed profanity.

"Isssn't fuck a bit much?" He asked flatly, his face still as the statue behind him, "Damn, or ssshit... But fuck?"

Then leaned forward off the bench and offered her a hand.

"The party isss that way," he thumbed toward the direction he came from.

"What did I do? I didn't mean to anger you..."

She flinched as his fingers wrapped around her wrist, diverting her slap. Was he being serious? For a long moment, she just stared up at him in wonder. Her other hand tightened on her instrument with half a mind to smash it over his shoulder.

But she didn't want to waste the instrument.

And she didn't want to lose her head even in whatever this...place was.

"Why did you assume you could just kiss me? Are you no better than your son?" She remained frozen as his fingers still entrapped her wrist. She was too nervous to pull away wondering if his grip would only increase to snap her bones.

Ameris let go of her hand and just looked at her completely confused. "I kissed you because we are in love..." What was her name? Why couldn't he think of it? It was absolutely driving him insane!

Her next question made his forehead wrinkle. He didn't have a son. Did he? No, he didn't. He hoped. "I do not have a son...what are you talking about, my love?"

Maybe she was the one who was crazy cause he definitely knew who she was.

Fraeya

• Nervous
  • Cthulhoo rage
Reactions: Mab and Fraeya