Open Chronicles Once Upon A Dream

A roleplay open for anyone to join
Left to his own devices, Bubkiss did his best to examine how the illusion performed as he passed through it.

“Distance of composure are perfect, there's no refraction that's bleeding out, it's all contained as if it were a, well. A pressure pot is all I can think of right now. All cooking away and sustaining itself. There's hiding the raw quality on display, yes, these colours aren't dimmed or subdued, they shine almost. Finding a signature isn't going to be easy. But I have to try. Most people don't compliment the chef, let alone compliment their kitchen.”

He patted his belly a few times and then shook his head.

“Goodness me, all this talk of food. I must have done to bed hungry. No, best not think of the waking world Bubkiss. There's a master at play and I must draw my own deck to discern what's afoot. Now.”

Like a gold panner within a stream, Bubkiss found himself hunching down, as if swirling a small element of the dreamscape within his cupped hands so that he might glean a reflection that meant so much more. “A technique for discerning the sheen of possibility about the weave of reality so inversed and unyielding here, so well protected and reinforced, yes, and then, well, the rest might follow. And then, we might have a clue as to who might be behind this minor miracle.”

It was a technique for when one was firmly drenched in the stuff of magic, to examine the components each in turn as they faded and returned. It had been taught to Bubkiss initially to allow himself to navigate in the raw stuff of illusionary magic, so that he might lend his hand to construction of artefacts so imbued with some illusionary effect or purpose. Bathed in the stuff of illusion he might pluck at particular sections of it and reform it to his own devices, allowing the master and the apprentice to work in some harmony. But this time was different. Bubkiss only wished to know who was behind all of this, seeing as the signature was hidden. As so many illusionists were want to do.

Like examining a distant star through telescope, or perhaps a detailed coin underneath a magnifying glass, Bubkiss peered at a small mote of the magic on display. But just as Bubkiss was sifted through the artistry to reveal his first glimpse of the macro interactions of the weave, a flash of spider's webs explained themselves to him. His eyes immediately went up as the hair on his neck raised at such a phenomenon, such a revealing of the inner structure of the dreamscape. He said a word instinctually.

“Batak.”

A triggering word of a cantrip. The lines of power faded from view, yet Bubkiss smiled.

“Gracious, you just...you just helped me out here. Most kind performer, you pull back the curtain for me to watch backstage, even just for an instant. But it's not as simple as stepping through, is it? I won't pass this chance up, no sir. I want to see more.”

Bubkiss raised himself to his full height, which was not very tall at all, and all notions of being hungry had faded from the fellow. He raised his cane and began to speak, his voice speaking quietly, as if not to draw too much attention to himself. A far cry from his normal performances for an audience, this time, he was an audience member trying to get behind the scenes.

“And now within this illusion be, sketch out what I did see, with light and dimension, let there be no pretension, let me see what was revealed so short ago with chance for reflection. Batak and hurrah!”

Bubkiss formed his hand as someone trying to frame a picture might, and expanded it outwards. Purple lines formed a cube in front of him, shimmering with light. It was a facsimile of what his eyes had just seen in the sudden flash of magic.

The glimpse of the framework, silvery lined and sudden in revealing themselves, now was emulated within the purple frame of light that Bubkiss had constructed. His eyes glowed a pale purple that matched the colour of the construction he had created for himself.

“Ahh, well. Now this...this is no doubt a masterpiece. And what do we have here?”

Bubkiss placed hand to chin and stroked his beard, and looked at the three dimensional snapshot for long moments, before tapping the cane down in the ground to punctuate his thoughts.

“A glimmer. Or rather...I should say some element of glamour. Yes. Hmm. This is powerful magic indeed, perhaps...perhaps not from mortal hand. And if you line up the lines according to the replenish rate, and view it from, yes, here, it reveals...A word. Meaning royalty. A title. King or Queen? One of the two. Royalty! But that's just the beginning of it. Titles are easier to discern along this path of investigation, usually employed by guild mages of some rank, but I've never...I've never seen a member of royalty's work! Goodness me!”

Bubkiss clasped his hands together, leaving the cane to stand perfectly on its own as he collapsed his own construction. He noticed how easy it was to create and disassemble in here. The place was rich and fertile for an imagination to grasp upon.

The gnome walked for a time, slowly, his head turning from side to side so that he might see the architecture as he moved. The light changed as he passed, and it gave him another insight as he travelled.

From within his jacket, he reached in his pocket for a tool. Normally, he was armed to the teeth with various implements of the craft. But here, dressed in fineries, he had but his own wit and arcane senses.

“So, it's a test then, of sorts. No mirrors. No gems. None of my usual lark to determine and shape things. Just like with Master Murk to begin with. Very well, very well! I'll rise to the occasion then.”

The gnome approached a statue of bronze and rubbed his chin for a moment as he considered the object.

“This might work. Got to try it. Got to try something.”

Bubkiss placed the cane a foot away from himself and extended both hands so that they were thrust outwards to the statue, as if he might catch it should it fall.

“With light gnawing at my frame, with magic containing this game, with curiosity being my motivation, let my will bring forth from imagination, in this place belonging to royalty, help discern the name for me!”

Bubkiss's hands began to glow with white light, and tendrils of light span and wove out from him in elegant spirals. The statue he had been addressing was being recreated within the statue itself, and expanded so that the two shimmered in the same location. Bubkiss took long seconds to create the illusion of the illusion, and ensured that he had created it according to the same dimensions and alignment.

“There,” Bubkiss said, smiling.

“Now, time to...just...transpose my illusion from the copy of this illusion, and see if we can just, discover, a little something more,” Bubkiss said, his brow furrowed as he fought with the cosmic weight of the illusion he was working from. He was not being violent in his arcane approach, indeed, this was a way of isolating but a fragment of the weave, an object, so that he might understand the nature of construction better.

“Ah, ah ha. I see. I see!” Bubkiss said after a minute of deliberations and changing his own illusion's alignment and he at once felt an urge to go back to sleep. As if the effort had made him drowsy.

He shook his head and blinked a few times.

“Knee deep in illusions I can't fall asleep twice,” Bubkiss said to himself with determination.

He collapsed his own illusion and nodded his head at his findings.

“Queen M. I have a first letter. I feel I'm getting closer to who's behind all of this artistry. Queen M huh? Marvellous.” Bubkiss said to himself, and began to walk away from the statue, as if the question might open a new door for him. He let his feet do some walking for a time, as if he might discover a place closer to where his host might be.

He felt the presence of a few people as he walked forward, as if he was somewhere between places. As if he had discovered a tunnel to go underneath the party itself, or if he were somehow in the rafters. Time and space had a strange way of working when one was probing for answers within the raw fabric of reality. He knew that this was a dangerous game, and if he should trip and fall he might ruin something about the illusion. But his mind was sharp to the task, and he felt the laylines underneath him and work around him. His divinations granted him an awareness of how to move. Sounds of an argument were muffled, a server passed through him without noticing him, and Bubkiss felt a shiver about himself as it happened.

He reached for a tendril of magic light, dipped his hand behind it, and sent a message across it in three pulses of golden light. It would find the author perhaps as it ran through the circulatory system of the magic. He was closer now to the thrumming engine of illusion, and due to this, was closer to the structure that gave this place form and dimension. Bubkiss would be unsure if it would reach the author of this place, but had to try some means of direct communication by the raw stuff of magic. He spoke softly, with respect, and with reverence.

“To the Queen who directs this scene, I give pause within this dream, for I wish to thank you for entertaining my presence and direction. I mean no poor manners, no disaffection, I'm a simple man, of limited invention. My own magic be a paltry thing in comparison to your own, I am one Bubkiss Widewallow, and I'll walk alone, til I find your authorship complete, so let it be known. Don't let me distract from your intention, I am but a humble illusionist, awash with good impression.”

Last edited:
Earliest convenience. Which was right now. Find somewhere with a bit of privacy. O-Of course, plenty of wayward ears around here, dream or no dream. The Empire had its own state secrets which were best left unheard by mischievous pranksters and dangerous lunatics. You know. Yeah.

Kade was about to say some version of all of that, when the space between himself and the Empress was promptly obliterated.

"Mistress," Kade repeated, tiny nervous laughs that sounded nothing like what he hoped--playing this all off coolly and confidently. "Okay. You got it."

Like a pet on a leash he was led along by the very Empress who ruled over his home of Ragash and all the holdings of Amol-Kalit. No big deal. N-Not at all. Look, if a life of swiping a spare apple and a wayward potato here and there from the marketplace hadn't prepared him for this, then what would? Pickpocketing, petty thievery, there were stakes in that. There were stakes in this too. Only in this case, it was way more than simply going hungry for the night that was on the line. His whole life was perched on this current tight rope, and Empress Medja (Mistress Medja?) had the power to change it in a heartbeat if she wanted to.

I'm sure I can think of more than one way you can make it up to me.

Kade felt something in his pants. He tried to ignore it. "I, uh, heh, you know, the, the, uh, last time this happened to me I somehow got lamb chops out of the deal. Funny, right? I should pay it forward. What goes around comes around and all."

It didn't ignore him. Pressure built up, and then, oddly, a metallic feel? Kade glanced and just as he did a bronze statue tumbled out from his pocket. He caught it before it hit the ground and held it up.

"Surprise! You caught me! This belongs to you, heh heh, but I don't have anything else to buy the lamb chops with. You think these 'Fae' will take--?"

Another statue tumbled out from his pocket. This one did bounce on the floor.

"Mistress, I don't even know where that one came from. My pocket isn't physically--"

Another statue tumbled out from his pocket. Tink, tang, bouncing on the floor.

"Oh come on! I only even had two!" Sheepishly, apologetically, he then looked to Medja as they walked, and he ended up choosing his next words poorly, "I really did not steal this many of your things."

Medja

Well, if damn or shit wasn't enough, then it wasn't. Who was Veithir to argue otherwise?

The glowing hand slowly retracted, and he watched her with growing curiosity. The way she stepped away felt very deliberate, but he understood completely. Personal space was important.

"You're welcome," he said at her back and leaned forward to rest his chin on his palm, watching as she forced her way through the hedge... and stumbled back into the clearing minutes later.

Veithir watched as the mask twirled through the air and unceremoniously fell to the ground, then looked back at the human girl. The Hound's features rarely stirred, but as he stared back into the woman's face, felt the momentary spasm of muscles under one eye, and the corners of his mouth quirked down. His posture straightened, and though he'd never once met her (he was lowly, and she was not), knew the many exploits of this Dream's weaver. Veithir looked up at the sky, only to curse the Queen of Winter.

The girl swore again, and Veithir thought that her use of the word "fuck" was appropriate this time around.

"Cruel, is it not?" Veithir could not take his eyes away from the girl that wore the... very angry face of his beloved. Suddenly, he felt the urge to clarify, "This isn't my doing."

Ralene scowled at the stranger, uncertain if he thought he were making light of the situation or if he were as unconcerned as he actually looked. On her part, she felt the odd webbing of magick all over this ... was it even a place? It felt more like an experience. A hallucination. A dream.

Nothing felt perfectly right but she couldn't pinpoint anything that felt utterly wrong either - aside from a hedge maze that had a mind of its own and the machinations to back up its own opinions. An opinion that she should not leave, but instead be remanded to the company of this odd fellow. Was he even real? His appearance was so unnatural to her that she couldn't convince herself he was.

"Just a pawn?" Ralene sneered in distaste as her gaze drifted from the man to her surroundings, "A piece of subconscious." If that were true then she aught to be able to will him and the rest of this dream away. Trouble was, Ral had only read on dream theory and never enacted any form of practice. It wasn't a realm of study thought to be of great priority or relevance by the Proctors.

"Then whose doing is it?"

• Sip
Reactions: Mab
Mm, yes, humans, utterly delicious,” Elio purred, but it was a playful thing. “If we’re not going to keep them as pets then let’s eat them. Perfectly sound logic.” Elio could understand how fae decided they were, in a sense, above humans. Many lacked magic, the ability to read, and most of the time having a conversation with a human was hardly enlightening. At least, that was how Elio used to think. He was determined to prove to Astrid just how amazing humans could be in their short little life spans.

All fae know of the hunt, little one, the bigger question is why you think I should be impressed by it.” Elio finally answered, his feline green eyes looking around. Well, there was plenty he could do, as many little groups seemed to have form. He wanted to stay away from those who were of some semblance of fae, or this little excursion wouldn’t produce the results he wanted.

That strange human who talks far too much,” he inclined his head over to the blonde youth who seemed to be talking to himself. Or maybe he had some sort of imaginary friend. Either way, Elio had that usual half-lidded look all cats were so fond of doing when they had a plan brewing. Mischief every now and then was fine, as long as it was harmless. “Let’s pretend to be entirely different characters. It’ll be a challenge not to lie.

Astrid Bielke
Fritz, satisfied with the explanation and words he had given the aptly named Crow, decided to walk around a bit. Ooh, there was something interesting! Two strange people in a dark corner...talking! That's what they were doing! Wait, not two humans or two fae, but a fae, probably, given the gen pop were not humans, with him, Medja, Kade, and Rhydian being the only ones he had ascertained. The other was a cat. A cat that could talk. He walked closer, nonchalant, and as he got closer, thought this might be a part of the dream.

No, the Queen couldn't have made an illusion such as this one. (He could actually hear the cat now, and, he supposed with all the things he saw in the real world, this wasn't surprising.) He wouldn't have been fooled. He might have been seeing things, so his best idea was this: Violently slam his head into a nearby pillar. That did not work. The cat was still there, and it was still talking.

"That's not poss- no, I would have said that once upon a time, but hey, I'm here. This isn't the most physically impossible thing I've seen tonight. Kade over there is...pulling four or five feet statues out of his pockets somehow. That would require his pocket to have a..."

He snickered and then let out a small laugh at the coincidental nature of what he was going to say next.
"Pocket dimension, which he doesn't have. If he did, that would be cool, but he probably would have told us by now."

"So, what are you people? I'm a human. Oh wait, I shouldn't have said that. Now instead of there being the possibility of a nice, civil conversation, you are going to look down your nose at me like this." he said before pausing to imitate the fae woman he had met as example. Of course, he crossed his eyes as a silent insult to the woman.

"Anyway, feel free to give me the silent treatment if you want. It was nice to meet a cat who can talk though. Maybe my cat will start talking one day."

Astrid Bielke

Last edited:
  • Sip
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Melisandre and Mab
All but a dream, and it was all but clear that this was no ordinary dream of hers. Maphesa found herself in her room at Leogaire – a close representation of it, at the very least. Her surroundings felt off, though despite the disturbance she couldn’t quite put a finger on why. A visual scan of her room revealed little amiss, aside from the brass-framed hand mirror laying on her nightstand.

She hadn’t seen that in decades, having abandoned it along with her old life in Vhora. Gently, Maphesa picked up the item and turned it around to reveal the shiny mirror’s surface, revealing something stranger still. The mirror was still in one piece! She swore she smashed it before she took her sudden departure from Vhora. It wasn’t even hers, she had merely borrowed it from a ‘friend’ she didn’t much like. She’d even made sure to smash the thing before she left. It had been her way of ensuring Sabeana would know it, without requiring Maphesa be present to tell her.

Within the intact mirror, Maphesa could see herself. Her hair tumbled over her shoulders, sporting flawless curls despite the fact that she had just risen from bed. Not that there was anything unusual about that. Maphesa’s required no effort to maintain her impeccable appearance, whether within reality or out of it. No, the first detail that gave it away was the oval shaped mask she wore over her upper face. The edges were dotted with beads of silver, and beneath and between the eye holes the mask contoured up to allow it to properly fit atop the bridge of her narrow nose.

Beneath it, she wore a flowing, azure blue dress. It was more of a shock than the intact mirror. Again, it had been decades since she had a dress in the style. Curiosity caused her to open up her wardrobe, revealing further garments in an array of bright, eye-catching colours. Seafoam, fuscia and canary – all of the style she wore at her former home.

“…Summer court bullshit!” she cursed out beneath her breath. Correct in her suspicion that the dream was the result of meddling, Maphesa was wholly wrong about who was to blame. Naturally, the possibility that her assumption was mistaken eluded her entirely. Negativity came easily to her, after all.

Opening the door revealed a new world to her, one that was not the familiar scene of Leogaire she’d normally expect. Figures of people moved about in the distance – she didn’t seem to be alone in this dream. With bright clothing and scornful expression, Maphesa ventured out, soon passing by a man conversing with a clown. Things were getting stranger by the moment, and the conversation she eavesdropped on brought no comfort.

"So what are you people? I’m a human." Fritz commented, causing Maphesa to pause in disgust.

“What!? Is this place filled with fucking humans?” she blurted aloud in astonishment, without the slightest consideration of who would hear it. If she had to be here, then they had to deal with her attitude. They could take it up with the summer court if they didn’t like it.

Still scowling, Maphesa’s nose wrinkled after sniffing once. Her expression soured even further afterwards.

“Ugh. It is.”

"So what are you people? I’m a human." Fritz commented, causing Maphesa to pause in disgust.

“What!? Is this place filled with fucking humans?” she blurted aloud in astonishment, without the slightest consideration of who would hear it. If she had to be here, then they had to deal with her attitude. They could take it up with the summer court if they didn’t like it.

Still scowling, Maphesa’s nose wrinkled after sniffing once. Her expression soured even further afterwards.

“Ugh. It is.”
He said with a sigh: "Excuse me, you two, I'll be only a second or so." to his momentary companions and spun around, ready to put his two cents in the piggy bank.

"It's not. I am one of the only "fucking humans" here, and I must admit, meeting some of your kind sure is disappointing for me as well. In the stories, your kind bitch a lot less about humans. They also be less bitches by way of personality to humans. So, yes, good day. I hope you have a nice time, and I have to get back to my conversation."

He then whispered in a way that made it so he was quiet but assured she heard: "You "fucking fae." How's it feel to be lectured, IN PUBLIC, by a lesser race?"

He snickered a little bit as he exaggeratedly turned to walk back to the cat and it's Friend? Was the cat a familiar of some kind? Anyway, the small snicker gave way to a bigger laugh. Whatever consequence came of that, he didn't care. It just felt so nice to tell off someone like that. He was pretty much done with the royal facade and all that politeness. This little outburst got him back on track.

"So, where were you guys before this dream? I was somewhere out in the wilds."

Astrid smiled smugly down at her new companion as they walked and talked. "As a Hunt member, I am very proud of my accomplishments. It's a source of pride for me. You may not be impressed, but I assure it is prestigious." She had worked very hard at where she was, all the training all the abuse. She still had bruises from Jago, though they were hidden in the dream.

"Your condescending tone doesn't bother me you know. It takes more to ruffle me than that." She continued to absently stroke the top of his head with long pale fingers. She hadn't even realized she'd been doing it. At his direction, she turned on her heel and headed for the talker.

"Humans like him deserve to be eaten." They were approached even quicker by the human himself and she lifted her lip in a silent snarl. It seemed in mere moments, he made nearly everyone in his vicinity pissed off and she was no exception. He told of another, and in the same breath turned back to the cwn and her companion. The wilds? Maybe she'd hunt him down after this dream, rip his tongue from his mouth. "Let me ask you this, where do you think we are from?"

Fae static comfortably buzzing away and influencing her behavior, Medja was all too forgiving and ignorant to Kade's general awkwardness as she pulled the two of them into a more private nook of the garden.
"'The last time?' Hmm, then you've got some experience, then? That is a shame. Firsts are always so much fun." The teasing and flirting continued, the Empress turning in place to pull Kade closer to herself. "Not that I mind a--"

Then the first statue fell from the boy's pocket, only to be caught. Medja quirked an eyebrow and offered a smirk. "Such quick reflexes. You really are too humble, you know."

Then the second one popped out, then a third, then a fourth. It hardly fazed Medja; indeed, the regent just laughed as she became increasingly handsy with her prey. The comment about theft didn't even register. Once again, the fingers of her right hand gingerly traced the back of Kade's neck, while her left found themselves hooked over the waist of his slacks.
"You know, if those pants of yours are causing you problems, you could always just..." Medja leaned in till Kade could feel the heat of her breath on his lips, the paltry distance daring the young man to steal something besides statues. Her eyes burned low, her voice soft and sultry. "...get rid of them."

Astrid smiled smugly down at her new companion as they walked and talked. "As a Hunt member, I am very proud of my accomplishments. It's a source of pride for me. You may not be impressed, but I assure it is prestigious." She had worked very hard at where she was, all the training all the abuse. She still had bruises from Jago, though they were hidden in the dream.

"Your condescending tone doesn't bother me you know. It takes more to ruffle me than that." She continued to absently stroke the top of his head with long pale fingers. She hadn't even realized she'd been doing it. At his direction, she turned on her heel and headed for the talker.

"Humans like him deserve to be eaten." They were approached even quicker by the human himself and she lifted her lip in a silent snarl. It seemed in mere moments, he made nearly everyone in his vicinity pissed off and she was no exception. He told of another, and in the same breath turned back to the cwn and her companion. The wilds? Maybe she'd hunt him down after this dream, rip his tongue from his mouth. "Let me ask you this, where do you think we are from?"
"I have no idea...Look, I'm not a dumbass. You don't like how I handled that. There is a simple lesson here. Don't be bad to me, and we won't have words. This is a dream. Us humans are here for a reason. Would it really kill you to not act like the rest of these head-in-asses? All I'm asking is that you don't go:

"Oh no, a human doesn't take shit from us, call the security! We use them as slaves to do manual labor and make us look great in stories, but this one actually has a sense of self esteem, oh the horror! We sell them like cattle at a market, but this one has emotions! The world is crumbling! I'm dying! A dumb, idiotic, good for nothing human dares to speak to moi?"

"Oh, and just generally acting like dictators and tyrants. That would be a good thing to lose, too. Really, do you want my twenty-five cent piece? You people are just like humans. You have flaws. You do bad things and don't you dare try to deny it. Acting like you can do no wrong and that your racist and xenophobic customs just makes you look like motherfuckers. Not talking about you, of course. Unless you show you are no different, which you might have just done. Your cute cat buddy saved you a bit though. At least you don't cut up all mammals to eat."

"See how I just put your entire kind, all the species, into a box so small you couldn't fit a cupcake? I bet I could name another one, but this time from your perspective. In case your brain hasn't taken the two seconds to answer my obviously rhetorical question, i'm talking about us. You present yourselves as greater beings, but from how small and narrow-minded you are towards who we might possibly be, what life we might possibly have aside from existing to serve you, I'd say you know nothing at all."

OOC: (Man Fritz went ham!)

Last edited:
Crow, yawned, as he appeared by the golden haired man. "He really does love the sound of his own voice, doesn't he?" he swirled his drink and looked at the liquid that sloshed about. He giggled softly, and in a mocking voice with little mocking hands he strung an invisble puppet. "Oh, look at me, fae mommies and daddies, I am trapped in a dream, and you are all so mean, let me be the most obscene and yell at you all about how evil you are and how wrong it all is," he looked sidelong at the little man after his not-so-little tirade. "And he wonders why no one wants to talk to him... rather odd isn't it?" He drank from his cup.

Elio was positive that despite the blonde man talking far too much— or rather yelling far too much— he wasn’t a lost cause. But then he kept… yelling. And yelling. And yelling. And ooh, a surprise! Cursing and yelling. And then he began to use words wrong. Elio realized right then and there, he had fucked up. He wanted to show Astrid that humans weren’t bad, that humans were similar to fae if just more fragile, and that there was a beauty to them.

This human before him was showing everyone around here just how bad humans were. Their arrogance. Their ignorance. That lack of empathy and intuition. Elio had always admired human stories, the way they had tried to explain the things around them, how religion would pop up as long as the story was good. The black cat’s only consolation to this affair was Astrid’s gentle fingers stroking through his black fur, getting him in all the best places: behind the ears, under the chin, and even at that tender spot where his tail and spine met.

He was going to suggest that perhaps they should head elsewhere, and he would’ve really, he wouldn’t have said anything, but then that human had to start lecturing his Little One. Elio may have been a house cat, but he felt no fear.

Corpulent means fat. Also, corpulous isn’t a word as corpulent is already an adjective. Also you meant to say incinerate, which means people have been burned to ashes, disintegrate means to break up into small pieces. That’s impossible to do with ash, ash is essentially dust, merely touching it with a feather will cause it to disappear.” Elio took a deep breath, swishing his tail. “If you decide to insult others, try to be more couth about it. C-O-U-T-H because I know you can’t spell that, either.

There’s creatures of all different species here, and so far, you have yelled at how many? Why? Because you feel insignificant? So yelling makes you feel better, yes? That’s what toddlers do. You are proving to everyone in this place that everything they believe humans to be: dumb, idiotic, good for nothing— these are your words, not mine, mind you. You’re making my job rather difficult, I’d like to present a case to this lady,” Elio used his tail to gesture towards Astrid before continuing to speak. “But you’re proving everyone’s point that sometimes the arrogant humans would be perfectly fine to eat. I’ve heard of an excellent gourmand in Winter Court who makes delicious lamb. Perhaps I should find you and deliver you straight to him.”

Elio sneezed, his whiskers twitching and then he looked up at Astrid. “Frankly, I like to show others, especially strangers, my best qualities. Now, Little One, I spy a friend of mine. The one in the funny garb. Take me there? I think I need a saucer of milk. Maybe even a bowl of cream. My throat is parched.” And like how all cats did, he twisted his head away from Fritz.

Astrid Bielke Zakarias

Fritz paused, and momentarily excused himself from the conversation he was having. Great, now he was talking to her. All to ask a favour of the Duanann, she erroneously assumed. Once again, this was a misconception, and one that would be corrected by Franz's vitriolic retort. His stated assumption that fae were supposed to be nice reeked of more Summer Court tripe. Sure, hospitality was a requirement, and had Maphesa invited Fritz into her home, she would have been significantly more pleasant. Only because she'd have to be.

But she didn’t invite Fritz anywhere. Why, she didn’t even agree to be here in the first place herself! Why should she be nice? She didn't sign up for this shit! Nor did she care for feigned pleasantries. That was work, and there was a proper time for work. Which wasn’t when she laid her head down to sleep!

“I'm not surprised at your confusion, you look daft enough to mistake fable for fact. That's the closest you lot can come to learning, isn't it?Maphesa retorted, peering down the nose of her mask to lock eyes with Fritz.

“Cherish the disability. I've just learned that even the lowest of expectations can be broken, and I didn't care to.” she concluded, in a tone most disdainful.

She was about to step away, but oh, Fritz was not done. He had more words to deliver, just not directly. She didn't care for them, but at least he had the wherewithal to spare her his immediate presence.

"You "fucking fae." How's it feel to be lectured, IN PUBLIC, by a lesser race?" he uttered.

“That a Duanann deigned speak to you, I'm sure, is your greatest achievement.

Do cherish that, too. I think you've peaked.”
Maphesa concluded with an amused scoff. He continued further to prattle on about....ignorance really. He didn't seem to understand his inferiority at all, and remained utterly devoted to said ignorance.

Oh, the plight of mortals - how can the broken understand they are broken?

Last edited:
Fritz sighed, realizing what a idiot he might be being. "Look, I'm obviously uninformed. I can see that. This is me now attempting to listen to your side. Maybe you have a very good reason for what you do that I can't see from my point of view."

"Did we do something first to incite your ire? It sounds quite juvenile, but believe it or not, that is the cause for most human wars. We are awfully petty, as I must have showed quite well just now. Well, when I'm like, one of the only humans here not in the garden trying to have children. I mean, Kade is almost being forced into that, but still, I consider myself an...no, ambassador is the incorrect word."

"Example, maybe? That allows me to show the bad side of tempermental teenagers. Some people find me quite fun though, so I must be doing something or other right. I had the good fortune to team up with a dragon-man guy...no that wasn't what he called himself, A Draconian, that was it! I went on a quest to find a meteor from a imperial defector who got brutally disfigured by somebody. Still haven't figured out who."

"So, i'd like to listen, if you want to talk. I mean, there's obviously something you want to say, so do it. I won't interrupt or object. If it's about intellect though, you must read some of our books. There are a couple of good ones on human theory back in my place of the world. Well, the real world that is."

"Some people say you came from a giant millenniums-old tree. The first few, anyway. Then you just had kids with humans who had nothing else to do since it was so long ago, and other fae. I'm excited to hear the true story straight from the horse's mouth. Wait, sorry, wrong express- no, that was the right one, but it's a bit rude.

"I'm excited to hear it straight from the shapeshifting fae dog person who talks with a shapeshifting fae cat person. Ah, yes, that about sums up what I mean."

Elio glanced back at Fritz. “No.” He said firmly. “I don’t want to talk to you anymore, you’re rude and impatient, and those are two things that I find to be unbearable attributes in a person— human, fae or whatever else they may be.

Elio glanced back at Fritz. “No.” He said firmly. “I don’t want to talk to you anymore, you’re rude and impatient, and those are two things that I find to be unbearable attributes in a person— human, fae or whatever else they may be.
"I thought I was being rather nice in giving you a chance to explain rather than continuing to tirade. This is me being patient." Wait, did that sound like, condescending? Like I'm attempting to lecture him? Not the purpose. Fritz, shut the hell up! He made a apologetic face and then attempted to amend the statement. "If you want to of course. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion." Fritzthatwasevenworse. Every heard of unintentional secret messages?

Last edited:
  • Sip
Reactions: Mab and Maphesa
Ralene scowled at the stranger, uncertain if he thought he were making light of the situation or if he were as unconcerned as he actually looked. On her part, she felt the odd webbing of magick all over this ... was it even a place? It felt more like an experience. A hallucination. A dream.

Nothing felt perfectly right but she couldn't pinpoint anything that felt utterly wrong either - aside from a hedge maze that had a mind of its own and the machinations to back up its own opinions. An opinion that she should not leave, but instead be remanded to the company of this odd fellow. Was he even real? His appearance was so unnatural to her that she couldn't convince herself he was.

"Just a pawn?" Ralene sneered in distaste as her gaze drifted from the man to her surroundings, "A piece of subconscious." If that were true then she aught to be able to will him and the rest of this dream away. Trouble was, Ral had only read on dream theory and never enacted any form of practice. It wasn't a realm of study thought to be of great priority or relevance by the Proctors.

"Then whose doing is it?"

"A pawn?" Veithir leaned back and deeply considered it, his dark brows knitting together, "Not quite."

Then he followed her gaze, let her last question hang, and stood. The human girl wore many sour expressions, all of them telling of her thoughts.

"It is bessst you don't know," Veithir lazily folded his hands behind his back, "You won't be able to wisssh me away, I'm afraid. I'm very much real."

The silver markings on Veithir's flared as he stared at Ralene, "It'sss a ssshort walk. Come."

Not quite. The hell did that mean? An unconvinced expression tracked his movements, silently sizing the strange elf up; his height, mass, build. He wasn't much taller than she and far slighter of build than Edric. She wagered her chances against him to be in the same ballpark as against her fellow Initiate - decent, given the right situation - but she knew better than to gamble on unknowns.

Best to keep this interaction short, light, and without friction.

But frictionless didn't mean expressionless. The displeasure remained on her face, blue eyes flickering from one glimmering silver marking to the next, and a dubious furrow of her brows followed his offer to lead the way. Well the hedges didn't seem to want her to pass, she'd let him go first and said as much with a flicker of a dark brow and a nod to the only open pathway through the maze. Ralene fell in behind him a few strides back, watching his posture and gait. He was exceptionally nonchalant.

"What ...are you?" her gaze turned curious, the rudeness of the naked question was not lost on her, but her's was a blunt and direct manner, "You're not any sort of elf I've seen before." Or killed, maimed, or tortured. The Academy liked to use them for bait, targets, and practice with the Initiates. Moreso before the Revolution, but it seemed to have gone by the wayside since.

Veithir

• Sip
  • Devil
Reactions: Mab and Maphesa
Viethir dipped his head as he passed Ralene to take the lead. Whereas the hedge had closed around Ralene before, scratching and urging her back to the clearing, it now kept a respectful distance from the two. At last, the pair arrived at a fork, where Veithir stopped and weighed his options.

"What ...are you?" her gaze turned curious, the rudeness of the naked question was not lost on her, but her's was a blunt and direct manner, "You're not any sort of elf I've seen before."

Veithir spun to face Ralene, his coattail whipping behind him. The question dredged up a disturbing sense of déjà vu, and the brightness of his markings dimmed.

"I'm no elf," he answered with a measured tone, "Perhapsss you have heard talesss of Faeriesss, but mortalsss call usss by many namesss." As if for emphasis, Veithir's long, forked tongue poked out from between his lips. With so many drawn-out esses, this kind of thing was inevitable.

The left turn in the fork loudly rustled. To the right, echoes of music and voices traveled down the path. Veithir glanced at Ralene before turning left, which led them to a dead end. Nevertheless, it felt correct to proceed despite facing a wall, so the Hound pressed his hand to the hedge, which obediently opened for them. If he had any questions of how or why Ralene awoke within the dream, he never uttered them and opted to walk in silence.

After only turning a few times after the fork, the path became a straight one, and coming to the end of it brought the pair to a lake in a forest clearing, and at the center was an island with several cherry blossom trees. Peeking out from the canopy was an especially large tree with a crescent shape.

"How dreadful," Veithir said to himself and glared up at the sky.

Ralene was especially glad to have stayed back several paces from the not-elf when he rather suddenly turned upon her. Every single bone in her body screamed in defense, but no part of her own magic answered. The Dreadlord Initiate tensed under his queer gaze, lips drawing a thin line while she listened to his odd, lisped words.

Was he... mocking her? She really wasn't keen on the stare she found herself presently pinned with.

"Faeries?" she blurted back, indignant at the word. This was a joke. This had to be a joke. He thought he was being coy or funny and he was just doing this to draw her ire.

Ralene knew ... rather little about faeries. Probably about as much as any other Dreadlord Initiate would, Chasmine Grey notwithstanding. Faeries weren't real. They were folk tales told to keep little children from wandering off in the woods and eating poisonous mushrooms.

"You're the biggest fucking faerie I've never seen."

Because he was leading, she was only paying attention to their turns taken just in case she needed to make a hasty escape from his company. Thus far there hadn't been any other options than the way they went: it was a direct route, almost as if the hedge wanted them to go somewhere specific. And then it put them out right at what might've been described as a dreamy, romantic lake setting complete with cherry blossom trees and the glimmer of moonlight on somber surface ripples.

"How dreadful."

"What the hell is this place?" This wasn't the party. Hadn't the party been back the other way? Where the fuck had he lead her?

• Smug
Reactions: Mab
"Well, I wasss afraid of having to faccce any acquaintancccesss," Veithir hissed, "But, what a regrettable decccisssion."

Viethir stepped into the clearing, right up to the lake where there should have been-

Ah.

A trail of stepstones snaked from the grassy bank all the way to the island.

"Thisss isss a placcce from my memory," he finally answered.

Ralene didn't move from where her bare feet had planted themselves several steps beyond the opening of the hedge maze. She stared, discontent, at the scene before her and found her lip ticking with each extended hiss of a syllable from the not-elf.

This was fucked and she was leaving.

Turning on her heel, Ral made to march right back into the hedge maze only to be bodily rebuffed and swatted backwards by the petulant petunias. She landed on her rear with a loud yelp and for the first time in a long time found herself seething to the point of-

"Rrrggh- FUCK YOU!" yep, she swore at the hedges.

They spat a twig at her and it smacked her in the eye for her troubles. She swore, clapping a hand over the eye as it smarted from the offense. Ral was done with this shit. She was done with this dream. Done with this fake-elf. Done with this goddamn skirt.

• Sip
  • Cthuloo
Reactions: Mab and Veithir
Veithir turned away from the lake to face the commotion and sighed. He walked up to Ralene and once again offered her his hand, "Are you alwaysss ssso angry?"

She really did have the same face. Veithir intently stared down at her, and upon meeting her gaze, extended his hand an inch further.

"You know, I do not like thisss, either. But it will be over sssoon."

"Only when I'm bested by a fucking shrubbery. Normally I'm a ray of goddamn sunshine."

Untrue, but Ralene wasn't the fae in this particular conversation. She could lie all she wanted. Rubbing the sting from her eye, her attention shifted back up to her present company with a frown. There was distrust in her face, but not in the same vein as the majority of other Dreadlords and Academy Initiates might have given him. Ral couldn't remember a time she hated someone simply for being something other than human. The racism that ran rampant in Vel Anir through its many generations never made much sense to her.

No one had any control over what they were born as. She had just as much chance of being born a komodi as she had a human. What Ralene cared about most was her home. It mattered very little what race or creed one was, just so long as they respected the might and authority of Vel Anir.

This stranger, as unsettling as he was at first glance, had given her no real reason to treat him with hatred. His shared distaste for the situation settled the matter. She was being childish and she knew it. So with a slow, clarifying sigh, Ralene reached up and took his hand.

• Sip
  • Cthuloo
Reactions: Mab and Veithir
"Is goddamned sssunssshine particularly bright compared to regular sssunssshine?" Veithir hissed a quip and mustering strength seemingly impossible for his frame, clasped Ralene's hand in his own, and easily pulled her to her feet.

What was felt was like digging a well and striking the dirt to expose a water reservoir. Memories from a thousand years ago poured forth, a violent torrent of images flooding into Veithir's mind. The huntsman blinked once and saw a dark forest.

***​

"Oh, Hells, what happened to you!" A woman with braided hair knelt next to a wounded and bloody Veithir, "C'mon... big fucker..." She got down to hook Veithir's arm around her shoulder and, with a grunt, stood with his weight bearing down on her, "Keep it together..."
The scenery blurred into the inside of a small cabin. As if it were right there, Veithir caught the aroma of freshly brewed tea.

"You're awake," a gentle voice spoke to him. Veithir turned his head, and at the bedside was the same woman. She sat in a chair with a blanket over her lap. "What's your name? I'm Marian."

"Veithir?" She stifled a giggle, "Oh- uh, sorry, it's just that it suits you. Are you an elf, Veithir? I've never seen an elf before..."
Again, the world became a blur to Veithir and soon settled to the outskirts of a small village. Before Veithir and Marian were rotting corpses chained to posts, beyond them smoldering ruins, and slung around each of the bodies' necks signs that read: WITCH. HERETIC. TAINTED BLOOD.

Marian tugged Veithir's sleeve, "How awful." And after several seconds of fighting the urge, she finally stormed forward and bashed at where the chains linked to the post with the handle of her hand axe.

"What do you mean, Vei?! They deserve a proper burial! Just 'cause of their beliefs, they got treated like this," Marian's cheeks were beet-red, and finally, the metal ring snapped. Veithir blinked and next saw three mounds of dirt. Marian had laid a wreath of flowers on the freshly dug graves. "The lord of these lands is cruel, Vei. Thank you for helpi
ng me..."

For months after being taken in, Veithir had slept on a bench in Marian's home. Despite it being much too short for him, he never once complained.

"Vei, are you awake?" ... "Will you come here?" ... "You're
warm..."

Next, seated on a blanket with a canopy of blooming cherry blossoms overhead, Marian and Veithir shared lunch. He noticed as she inched closer and closer but never said a word even as she leaned her cheek against his shoulder. She became cross with him for some reason.

"Oh, you damn fool," She said with a huff and suddenly kissed him. The world spun around him.

After that came the sight of sweat-slicked freckled skin under candlelight and the soft gasps and hoarse breathing in his ear.

"At least you don't have to sleep on that tiny bench anymore," Marian said, tightly latched onto Veithir's arm. Upon hearing him voice his wish to stay with her forever, Marian buried her face into his shoulder with a wide smile, "Of course you can, you
fool..."

A memory of some time long after that, where Veithir proposed forging a bond that would carry beyond their current lives.

Forever proved to be a short while. After years of peaceful living, Veithir returned from the woods one evening to find Marian's cabin broken into and his beloved missing. He would find her after catching wind of a nasty rumor, weeks later, in the dungeon of that cruel lord, who had grown old and mad. Veithir stood before the weak and dying Marian, stained nearly head-to-toe in fresh blood.

"Oh, Vei," Marian weakly mumbled to him and mustered a weak smile, "You fool..."

And finally, the final scene played before Veithir. He stared down at Marian's resting place just below the cherry blossom tree, wearing his huntsman attire.

Viethir gasped as he came to. Years of memories flashing through his mind were only a handful of seconds in the dream. Then, with Ralene's hand in his own, his gaze met hers, and his mouth hung open in mute astonishment.

Last edited:
'The last time?'

That didn't come out right, what he'd said before. As soon as Mistress Medja said that, and furthermore what she said following, he knew it. What he'd meant was the last time he had inadvertently gotten mixed up with a powerful woman, yeah, something more along those lines, but now it was too late to correct it.

Now that his pockets had become a wellspring of bronze statues.

In a tight space of the garden, between a wall and a pillar draped in dim shadow, what sounds there were of this elaborate Fae dreamscape were as distant as the other occupants. An enclosed space which mirrored his proximity to the Empress Regent--especially so after being pulled into her.

Kade dropped the statue he had caught when Mistress Medja's hands graced the back of his neck. There, of course, and elsewhere. Kade in that moment became acutely aware of just how hard his heart was beating; he could feel it thundering inside his ears. His cheeks were twin furnaces, and he had no doubt that they were absolutely betraying whatever air of cool composure he had left. Alright, who was he kidding? What cool composure? That departed the market a long time ago.

This was somehow more terrifying than his encounter with Fiera. Probably because it was also equally thrilling. That was the honest truth and he'd tell it like that to the Six. What could he say? Mistress Medja was beautiful. So beautiful that she, even in this actually surreal place, still seemed surreal in spite of her surroundings. But make no mistake, she was the Empress Regent of the Empire of Amol-Kalit--perhaps the single most powerful woman in Liadain, if not all of Arethil. Kade, just an ordinary Ragashan from an impoverished family, was overwhelmed by the power disparity between them--it was almost beyond comprehension.

But he knew this: one wrong move, one careless misreading or bold assumption, and it was over. If he did something Mistress Medja didn't like...It. Was. Over. How that might take shape he couldn't say, but over was just about the right word to describe his fate in that case.

So it was quite the conundrum when Mistress Medja made her suggestion. In his position, how do you even possibly answer that correctly?

Here goes nothing. Go with your gut feeling, Kade.

All of the confidence he could muster coalesced into a smile. And he said, "I know a bit of magic myself."

With one flush move his hands swept down on the belt of his slacks, his pants fell, and a quick skip and kick of his feet he saw them launched into a corner, another bronze statue spilling out as they drifted to the floor. He stood in his undershorts and shirt and vest, nervous as all hell but ecstatic that he pulled that off without messing it up.

A little showman's sweep of his hands, in what tiny space he was allowed by the Empress. "Ta da!"

Medja