Discussion How did you become interested in roleplaying?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Illyria Daemyar, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Illyria Daemyar

Illyria Daemyar Star Born

Character Biography:
    Bio
    As writers, we all started somewhere with getting involved in roleplaying. Whether it was chat rp, tabletop, forum roleplaying, or messenger rp, we all began somewhere.

What’s your story?

Owain d'Athée, Marf, Peony and 3 others like this.
  2. Owain d'Athée

Owain d'Athée The Child Soldier

Character Biography:
    Bio
    I was like...12? 13? Something like that and I got into argument on the internet (AIM Chatroom) with a guy about martial arts.

He challenged me to T-1 style roleplay fighting, and not having any idea what that was I agreed. The rest is, as they say, history.

Marf, Peony, Kara Orin and 1 other person like this.
  3. Kara Orin

Administrator
    Kara Orin Administrator

Character Biography:
    Bio
    I frequented an Aliens vs. Predator forum and played the AVP2 video game religiously. It was like the Counter-Strike / Call-of-Duty / Fortnite of my childhood.

Someone on that forum created a play-by-post roleplaying site for the Aliens universe. Joined that and eventually discovered the wider world of forum roleplaying across multiple fandoms.

Owain d'Athée and Marf like this.
  4. Maridis Va Dori

Maridis Va Dori Well-Known Member

I was looking for an online game and ran across a site called Torn, it wasn't really roleplay, but when I searched for sites similar too it I found an rp site and loved it. That was about 3 years ago.

Owain d'Athée and Marf like this.
  5. Peony

Peony Hype Girl

I discovered NeoPets when I was 12 or 13, and wrote some really awful equestrian and fantasy roleplays there. I discovered forums about 11 years ago, and have been writing in the same fandom since. I even ran my own site for a bit, but it sort of burnt to the ground after five years.

6. Marf

Marf Oddball

#6 Marf, Oct 14, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    Ever since I was born, I've been creating characters and stories in my head. These characters stick with me until I simply grow out of them, or if I become interested in a different theme. I never imagined that there would be an avenue to explore their lives through writing, until I discovered role-play on an instant messaging site which I frequented as a teenager.

When I was right into Star Wars, I created my first Sith character and wanted to try writing her on an actual RP site, so I just looked up "Star Wars Role-Play Forum" on Google. That was basically how it started for me. I've been role-playing for six years now.

Role-play for me, is not a game, and approaching it in the manner of a game where you have to reach an objective and outplay opponents is anathema. Role-play for me, is creative writing in a collaborative format. Building on a scene using beautiful language and visceral description, then seeing how another writer's character responds to the scene you've crafted is all part of the fun. I have tried my hand at writing a novel many times and found it to be thankless and overwhelming. Through role-play, I can write the scenes I would like to write in a novel, but without the stress of planning and writing an entire book. Seeing how another character engages with your own and builds on your description, however, is the best part. It's rewarding in a way which writing a novel simply is not.

Rainie, Peony and Owain d'Athée like this.
  7. Rainie

Rainie The Charming Bard

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Hmm, well my friend in school actually persuaded me to try it out when I was 13 or so. We trolled about on a site called the Immortal Coil for a while. I can't say I was too into it. I didn't have the energy to keep up with my friend's posting demands. Since then I've popped in briefly on other sites; I can't even remember all the names. I had a bad experience with the last one, and avoided roleplay since.

Rainie was actually the first brainchild I unleashed on other people. I've been writing short stories in spiral ring notebooks since 3rd grade, but I never let anyone read them. I feel like Rainie has matured quite a bit since her creation, lol.

I quite agree with Marf as well. Roleplaying is definitely collaborative creative writing. Whenever normal people ask me what I do with my free time, I tell them I'm part of an online writing club lmao

8. Krobon

Krobon Member

When I was a kid I always used to just write stories for myself until I discovered RP when I was like 12, through a play by mail group on yahoo where I started RPing.... I was honestly the biggest god modder ever, but everyone else in there did the same, I had no experience RPing with others yet, but it fascinated me, to interact, to read what others have written in conjunction with my own writing.. Then I played a game called NWN when it came out and started RPing on forums.. Man time flies.

9. Grimscythe

Grimscythe Member

When I was 12, I stumbled across MUDs. At first I had no clue what I was doing, and I actually wrote much of my posts in text talk. I remember being ridiculed by people who have now been my friends for almost sixteen years. It's incredible.

10. Daggen Starbreaker

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Many ages ago my best friend introduced me to Play by post. First time i been in any form of rp. Was a Zelas Slayer rp on anglefire boards.