Open Chronicles Athbhliain

A roleplay open for anyone to join
It seemed appropriate for a mystical city in the desert. He said, And whom might you be?

Before Baise could make a getaway, Vasilios attempted to gently lift his chin with his index finger and to get a better view.
Im not done with you quite yet. He said with humor in his eyes before turning back to the beautiful woman

Baise's eyes widened. Part of that was a very real surprise at being touched so brazenly. Part of it was just playing the game. Years away from their world were not enough. The memories were still crystal clear.

He grinned from one corner of his mouth.

"Didn't say I was going anywhere," he replied. "And my name is Baise."

He glanced towards the red haired man and the gaze of his violet eyes lingered there as well. Baise hoped they were mot so distracted by the elephant that he wouldn't see him for the rest of the evening. Baise was far more interesting in this dance than letting an elephant.

He took a step back beyond Vasilios' reach and took a deep, sweeping bow.

"And it is a pleasure to meet you both."

His attitude was respectful, deferential to the powerful fae lords. But there, in the corner of his eyes as he glanced up at them both, was a sparkle of his own mischief.
Signe Lusce

Last edited:
Born to be King.

The statement drew Nairth's gaze from the crowd for a moment, his brows raising slightly at Varos' claim. The King wasn't entirely sure he agreed with the notion that he was born for any specific purpose, but perhaps... the fates did have a plan for him that he'd only just begun to realize. The smile didn't leave his lips, though there was a coyness behind it as he replied to his Vitae ally, "There was a time, Varos, when Fae spoke only of my crimes against my own blood. Do you see how I have atoned? How I have mended and changed that image of me?"

Raising one of his hands, draped in white with black rootlike patterns running down each finger to meet at his knuckles, Nairth placed it over Varos' shoulder as the Father of the Zorren drank his first sip of many. There was a gentleness in his touch that one would expect of the leader of a court devoted to life and love. The smile on his lips halved to a smirk as San'Seya continued to speak. "Fate does have a plan for all of us, my friend. But fate is not unyielding. Our destination is not unchanging. Where you end up when all is said and done comes not from your destiny, but how you stare back at the piercing gaze of your own prophecy."

Nairth removed his hand, waving it out in gesture towards the crowd. "The public eye suits me only because I allow it to, because I open myself to their gazes and thoughts. They see me as a figure of power and majesty. They see a God, whereas I think of myself as nothing of the sort." Beginning to step forward as he raised his own amber-fileld glass to his lips, Nairth smiled back at Varos. The Vitae could follow him, or take his own path, but Nairth wished not to burn his daylight. "As a leader, you are powerless alone. What gives us our strength is the perception of the common eye. What they see dictates what we truly are."

Now, where was Maphesa? She looked absolutely striking today, and he wished to tell her as much.

Last edited:
Maphesa continued her casual stroll throughout Kāˌäs, a growing crowd gathering in her wake. They all marvelled at the effects she so casually wove, as no touch of magic was too light to stir them. Glowing lights were left in her wake, dotting the path she took with spots of varying hue.

All the while, Maphesa leisurely continued her aimless stroll that though the city. She was uncharacteristically pleasant among it all, elated to enthrall the entranced mortals that had gathered around her. While she hardly had a soft spot for most mortal folk, such worshippers had an adorable charm to them. So helpless and filled with wonder were they, providing attention she revelled in receiving.

And even more so, in selectively choosing where her attentions were placed. There was little rhyme or reason to where she chose to leave her magical touch. The humans, however, were bound to concoct their own interpretation, so ingrained to seek pattern in all they witnessed. Those who bore a glowing light before their abodes were exultant, while those she’d neglected remained hopeful, yet wanting. Maphesa’s path crisscrossed now and again, raising hopes among those who went without such a blessing. Those left lacking dared not clamour for more, but continued to tactfully follow her in hope that their homes might be likewise graced. Some were, on occasion – but the majority had to do without. Her boon would not be remarkable if everyone received it.

Soon enough though, she’d her fill of the attention for the moment. She touched the ground with the tip of her finger, causing it to slightly shift. Green stalks began to poke out, climbing up before bulbs opened up into flowers of different shades and size. The mortals were mesmerized by it, gathering to watch as Maphesa strode onward and left them behind.

Lost to her own indulgences, she hadn’t noticed any of those who’d arrived after her. Now that she was paying attention, she noticed many had. Nairth and Varos were among them, ahead of her path and engrossed in conversation. She noticed the two with a look from afar, but didn’t deign to interrupt them. As it turned out, their conversation would come to a close just as she happened to pass by the two of them in her continued leisurely stroll along the path.

Yet, she sensed further attention – be it by mannerisms, body language, or just a hunch. The walk was refreshing, and the inkling felt piqued the Duanann’s interest in it anew. Again, she’d give another subtle look their way, catching Nairth again with a glance from the corner of her eye and a slowed pace.

Nairth San'Seya

• Yay
Reactions: Signe Lusce
Signe wasted little time in filtering through the barage of questions in her happy little head. With the matter of the elephant settled, she raised a finger to point at the strange lantern bobbing behind Baise. Baise! What a interesting name! Humans really did have fun when it came to naming their children, didn’t they?

Signe’s mother had done things right by naming all of her children after the lovely letter that was an ‘S’! It curved so wonderfully, like a dancer who used every part of their body to evoke emotion from the audience and—

What’s that lantern? It’s so pre— so… unique.” Yeah. Unique. That’s what the masculine said instead of ‘pretty’ right? Perhaps she should just try to keep impersonating Saang instead. It only then occured to her that she would need to come up with a name for her alter-ego. Something with a S. Hmmm, what could it be?

Slyvestre? No, that hardly sounded Fae. Seven? No, Signe you dunce, that was a number! Sullivan— Get it together, Signe, please! Maybe she should just call herself Saang or—

You can call me Sung.” Okay, not Saang, but… Signe just continued to smile. A smile made all the bad things go away, didn’t it?

Baise

"Well then it is a pleasure to meet you Sung," he replied.

Odd name. The phrasing of 'you can call me' did not bother Baise. He knew the power of naming. He knew that the Fae preferred to dance around a lie.

It was an exhausting practise, but had been away from the dancing long enough to find it exciting again.

The elephant owner seemed to have lost interest in Baise. That, too, was not something that he let roll off his back. The fae were flighty creatures, but he - or rather his lantern - has the attention of another exquisite creature for the moment.

Baise held up his hand and the lantern floated around him to hover above his palm.

"A simple trick," he said modestly. "I have picked up just a few uses of the magicks over the years."

He grinned.

"I tend to surprise people."

Sung? That wasn't a very clever undercover name, Favashi thought to herself in disappointment. The Commander she remembered was quick of mind and wit. There were a thousand better options than Sung. Had he lost his touch in the Night Court pandering to those insolent Neanderthals? What a shame.

Or was this some other kind of trick?

Her head tilted to the side as she thought that angle through. Was someone impersonating Saang? Oh, that was even more delightful! They must know him. Perhaps she could coax him out by coaxing a few things out of this imitation...

A chorus of quick excited claps came from Signe’s square hands— man hands were so interesting, weren’t they? The thick fingers an and wider palms made her claps louder than expected, but it was fine.

I love magick.” Signe said with unbridled enthusiasm. “And things that glow!” She had quite enjoyed Lord Rerreno’s light show when she had attended one of the Vitae’s court many celebrations of life. Signe exposed her bare chest— how grand to be a man and not worry about showing off anything for the bedroom!— as she leaned her head closer to the lantern hovering around Blaise’s open palm.

Does it do anything other than illuminate your surroundings?” She asked, tilting her head like a bird. “You could just create a spark from flame, like this.” She stood up, back straight and shoulders pulled back. Swirling around her index finger in the air, flames followed after her leading finger. “Make it smaller or bigger,” she added, a teasing hint in her voice as the flames grew much larger. Bigger was better, wasn’t it? That’s what she heard from her sisters all the time.

Or better yet, if you do a little spin then you can,” Signe made way to spin, her arms now outstretched about her. It was as she was pivoting on her heel, finally turning around, that she saw a female duanann.

With a squeak, Signe’s arms quickly moved to cover her chest, hunching over slightly. Was her glamour strong enough? Could that woman see Signe for who she was? A female duanann who didn’t have a buxom bosom?!

Baise Favashi

Tharu smiled down at Shayleigh, his face bright both with the excitement of the surrounding festivities and seeing the woman who'd been running through his mind rent-free ever since his trip to the Vitae lands. To say it had been a surprising turn of events when he'd met somebody so compatible on a routine political trip was an understatement, but while Shayleigh and Tharu had nothing in the way of a title, they'd both agreed the relationship between them was something they wanted to expand further.

"I wouldn't have missed this for the world, Shay. You look absolutely incredible..."

He wasn't lying, but she could have shown up in a burlap sack and he'd find her just as ravishing. It was a benefit of a young lovestruck heart. As Shayleigh returned the drink she was carrying to Rerreno, who also greeted him, Tharu wrapped an arm around her waist and leaned over to place a quick kiss on her cheek before turning his head to the Vitae brother. "When I came to your land to discuss business with you and your brothers, I met Shayleigh on my way out. The two of us hit it off rather nicely and... well, we've been keeping in touch."

Yet another thing he had to thank the Vitae for. Truly, the brothers and Vulpesen had been instrumental in doing some incredible things to his life. Tharu owed them much. "How are you doing, Sir Rerreno? Are your brothers here as well?"

Rerreno being here made sense; he was known to be the most personable of the three. Still, the others certainly deserved some relaxation now and then.

The duanann was an interesting character, Baise thought to himself. Their enthusiasm was infectious. Baise was sad to have lost the attention of the tall, dark haired elephant rider so was glad for some new amusement.

Does it do anything other than illuminate your surroundings?” She asked, tilting her head like a bird. “You could just create a spark from flame, like this.

"I'm afraid the lamp doesn't do anything else," he admitted. "But it's far more interesting than an open flame," he countered.

The light dimmed so that the intricate patterns on the damascus steel frame could be seen. With a turn of one finger the light inside started to twist about too.

Sung turned and gave a spin. The fae were often easily distracted, but not always this much.

Sung squealed and wrapped his arms around himself.

"Are you alright, my lord?" Baise asked, tilting his head to one side curiously. He followed Sung's gaze to another duanann that had been watching.

Curious

So it was a lie!

Favashi's eyes practically danced with excitement. She had expected to get most of her enjoyment out of the mortals present here but it seemed this fae was the most interesting thing here instead.

"Apologies," the older duanaan purred and glided across the small gap that separated them. She only stopped when she was practically toe to toe with the Not-Saang. Her fingers gently glided down the woman's cheek then twirled a strand of red hair about her fingers. Her voice was almost lazy as she explained, "I thought you were someone else, a dear friend, perhaps you know of him, Saang Lusce?"

Seeing Maphesa in such a public setting was a rarity, the former Summer magnate was known to be as fickle as the color of the leaves in fall with how she spent her time. Much like Nairth himself, she'd clawed her way to the top of her court through sheer passion and will. There were still stories muttered amongst those who remained in Summer about the lengths Maphesa was willing to go through to get what she wanted. In that sense, San'Seya had considered her a kindred spirit, albeit with different viewpoints.

That wasn't what had made him so curious about the ravishing raven-haired Duanann though. No, what piqued him most of all was how once she'd had all she could ever want, she left it all behind-- vanished without a trace.

What would possess one to do that? It was a question he'd asked himself now and again, while ruminating on Spring's relations with other courts. When it came to Summer, he was quite glad that they no longer had a Fae as strong spirited as Maphesa to pose against him in the building conflicts. T'would be a waste for such passion to burn out over a war...

Nairth caught himself and shook his head with a smile as he emerged from his thoughts and watched as she put on a display of beauty and life for the mortals, one that would remain with them for the remainder of their comparatively short lives. This was not the place to be contemplating courts and war, in fact it was meant as the very opposite. This was a place of peace, a place to be one. With another sip of his drink and a moment to let the breeze wash the stress from his skin, he moved to follow Maphesa as she passed.

"It's pleasant to see you here, Maphesa. I wasn't sure if I'd be laying eyes on you or not," It wasn't a place for him to throw stones; Nairth had skipped more than his share of gatherings in his many years. San'Seya matched pace with her, walking at her side as his long robe trailed behind him like a river of white. "I am glad that I have, you look ravishing. Time has gifted you with beauty and grace."

Of course, time did that for most Fae.

Oh fat hobgoblins, look at the mess that Signe had put herself in. She turned to look back at Baise, a human who wouldn’t be able to see beyond her glamour. Then her red eyes went to look back at the duanann female before her. The only thing that Signe knew for certain was that this woman didn’t belong to the Night Court. Which left her to belong in at least eight other courts.

What should she do in this situation? Signe had never been a fast thinker, but then again, she hadn’t needed to be.

And in truth, the more Signe thought, the worse her plans and schemes had become.

Saang always had such a good head on him though! Well, that was to be expected, given his position. So perhaps if she just mimicked him a little bit more then she could get out of this strange dilemma. The duanann stood up straight, rolling her shoulders back, and looked into Favashi’s eyes.

Of course I know Saang,” Signe said, doing her best to keep her voice from wavering. Just picture them all in granny-panties, Signe, and you won’t be nervous anymore.You must be close to him if you fail to address him properly. Maybe one of his many, many exes.” Ha! She did it! Put her back on the defensive with that one, didn’t she?!

The redhead looked down to Baise. She took a step back and curved a arm around his shoulders.

Baise,” She said, “You should greet… I’m sorry, you didn’t give your name. Can’t greet a fae of your stature without proper etiquette, right?

Baise Favashi

Baise get a subtle bow from the waist to introduce himself. The gesture allowed him to take a single step back from the situation.

It wasn't much, but if felt like a much more comfortable distance from the two fae.

He had been enjoying the game, but now he felt he was tangled in something just a little more involved between the fae.

As Baise stood, the magical lamp bobbed to his side and he took the opportunity for another half step away.

Favashi Signe

Maphesa couldn't help but notice the eyes upon her. Though bored of mortals for the moment, she was delighted at the attention she detected – and from the regent of the Spring court, no less. She'd heard of him and about him. That he was the last of his own line, because he brought it to an end himself. All because one who carried his lineage dared to fall in love with a mortal.

Not because of something he wanted, but something he didn't. It was the opposite of desire – Nairth detested the notion of something so much, that it drove him to slaughter his own kin.

Perhaps it was for the best that she’d not kept close contact with those she'd estranged. Another justification to do so – that and the fact that she just didn't really care for them all that much. All they cared for was their tedious tradition anyway, and she’d long grown bored of those games.

Well, Maphessa hadn't anything to do with that. She was affiliated with desire, not love. She liked to see people persue things but didn't care for any actual enjoyment from the object of their desires. That impeded the process of finding something new to desire. Still, the tale had tickled her nonetheless. Particularly because despite the bloodshed, he had doted on his half-mortal grandchild, or so she had heard.

Not because of a pact, but simply because that's what the mortals do with their grandchildren. Varys was his lone living grandson. Now that mystified her. Nairth had slaughtered the fae, only sparing the life of the lone, filthy mortal, of all things. The very same one whose existence had spurred his anger the first place!

It was no fae tradition, yet Nairth willingly upheld it. Heavy is the burden of rulership. Tradition always interrupted the things one wanted to do with the things one was obligated to. Maphesa reflected on her newly found freedom, and carried little regret about leaving her summer court burdens behind.

“It’s pleasant to see you here, Maphesa. I wasn’t sure if I’d ever be laying eyes on you or not.” Narith spoke, and the statement elicited a smile from her lips. Already treading at a slow pace, she drew to a stop at his words to turn to him and deliver her warm reply.

“Quite the delight to see you join us this Athbhlain, too.” Replied Maphesa with a smile on her lips and a gesture of her arm towards the mortals behind her, all of whom remained too busy marveling at the colourful bloom she’d conjured to notice.

“I am glad that you have, you look ravishing. Time has gifted you with beauty and grace.” He replied. Surely the comment was shallow flattery, not that she was one to mind. She rather loved flattery.

“Such sweet honesty. How wonderful that the charming King of Spring could take notice.” Maphesa replied with a long lock of her raven hair twirled around a finger, while a playful smile remained on her lips.

Nairth San'Seya

Last edited:
Varos himself had quite the extensive dossier on Nairth, and once upon a time had a less than favorable assessment of the Spring King. If not for a certain warlock and a chance meeting, its very likely that any discussions between the two would have been a simply been nothing more but a distraction for a vial of poison. "Life is defined by entropy. Thus, change is always possible if not inevitable. You've done very well to take advantage of that."

Nairth's next comments on gods and perception brought about a hearty laugh from Varos, and while his voice still seemed its constant whisper, there was a bark to it that somehow turned the heads of those that were yards away. "Consider yourself lucky that your godhood is a mere perception. Its not all its cracked up to be. Especially when perception quite literally becomes your reality." Even now, Varos felt an itch crawling over him, a mild discomfort that came when he acted outside of his religious canon.

Before their conversation could continue much further, Varos' eyes caught sight of the furtive glances between his compatriot and a fetching dark haired fae among the crowd. Then before he knew it, they were exchanging pleasantries and doe eyed stares. "I'm sure I'll find you later. If you aren't otherwise preoccupied," Varos said with a coy smile, briefing patting Nairth on the shoulder as he turned to give his newfound conversation a brief nod of greeting. "And perhaps we'll have the pleasure of meeting, miss Maphesa. Enjoy your night." His brothers had wanted him to get out into a more sociable place and what better way than to melt back into the crowd?

Nairth San'Seya Maphesa

Looking between the pair, Rerreno simply basked in the radiant joy the two took from each other's company. "Then if we've accomplished nothing else, I'm glad my brothers and I afforded you the opportunity to meet." He downed a considerable amount of his drink, leaving little more thana sip within the glass. How many had it been? He wasn't sure, but his voice remained silky and smooth with only the slightest slur. The legends, thankfully, spoke quite often of his pleasure in fine wines.

"We've been doing well. Varos is over there, and I believe he's currently-" a glance up to where he had begun pointing drew a sigh from the golden diplomat as a look at Nairth showed him to be beside a raven haired woman, with not an onyx cloaked man in sight, "rather he was speaking with your father a moment ago. Wulren is back home. He'd have loved to come, but so many things to prepare. And he drinks enough at home, I think. No doubt his table is filled with equal parts ale tankards and maps. What of your own court? I hope your father hasn't been run too ragged with all the business of leadership. My brothers and I, are at least fortunate to split the crown.

Tharu San'Seya Shayleigh

• Yay
Her opposite hand found its way to his one that had snaked its way around her waist. Letting fingers intertwine, if only briefly as she still wasn’t sure how much Tharu had let out of the bag. “Incredible? You mustn’t be talking about me.” Shay let out an amused laugh. “If you look around at most, if not all that are here, most are adorned with beautiful colors that catch the eyes. I seem to not own anything as..vibrant or even ethereal. Black, I choose to wear black.” Another bout of laughter soon followed.

As Tharu spoke to Rerreno, she took that time to let those eyes wander. The place was amazing and there was so much to see and do, she didn’t want to miss a thing. Watched as friends interacted with friends, even new acquaintances sharing a moment or two in passing.

“Meeting Tharu just adds to the many things I have to thank you and your brothers for. In a sense, you’ve all given me a reason to seek life again.” And with that, Shay finished the mysterious concoction with a slight hiccup. As the two men began conversing, she caught sight of Varos slipping into the crowd. A coy smile danced across her face, he knew well that if she found out he was working instead of enjoying himself, she was more then prepared to give him shit about it.

Tharu San'Seya Rerreno

• Yay
Favashi's eyes widened in delight. An ex? An ex? Did the little thing not know who she was?

"Oh my darling, Saang is far too young for my tastes," not... true per see but Saang was not to her tastes so the lie slipped past those pesky little fae rules and her smile grew dangerously sweet.

"Favashi, Fury of War," the fae purred though she did not take a step away from the other fae. Her eyes roamed the young fae's face instead and her finger continued to curl a lock of hair about her finger. Then suddenly she stopped and her attention turned like a whip towards the other fae. Her eyes roamed from the tip of his head down to his toes.

"Charmed," she released the not-Saang and held out her hand. "Are you enjoying my party?"

Nairth was not a fool. Any who attended this party would know of his history-- the bloody past that was left in his wake in a moment of his greatest weakness. For too long he'd allowed the actions committed by his hand to define both himself and his view of the world around him. To say that becoming King had changed his perspective on a great many things would be a drastic understatement.

And yet still, the flicker of recognition behind the Courtier's eyes, as if she'd drawn up everything she knew about him the very instant their eyes met. Perhaps she thought that was enough to know him, to make assumptions as to what he desired. San'Seya doubted she was so naive, however. Whatever opinions his kin were going to have on him, they would have it regardless of what he did now.

It was enough for him to know that he'd changed since then; That he'd worked to mend wounds he'd inflicted, at least those still mendable.

"It is difficult to escape my attention, especially when you display such an excellent control over nature." Nairth would have felt the cultivation of any life in his vicinity, but the magical blooms she'd impressed the mortals with were especially marvelous. The King smirked, golden orbs running across her before focusing on that lock of hair twirled around her finger. "Were it not an overreach of my authority, I would have this entire city evergreen. It would be such a wonderous haven amongst the harsh sands."

Had any of these mortals been treated to the dance of a San'Seya connecting with nature as a whole? He doubted it. Even when they lived, most of his children disliked attending social events so far outisde of the Spring, with the exception of Isa San'Seya, of course, ever the butterfly.

"Do forgive me for attempting to see beneath the surface..." Nairth spoke in a markedly lower tone, walking to close the remaining distance to a degree so that his words were not overheard by curious ears. "But how has this Athbhliain lured you in? You were not at the solstice ball, the wild hunt, or mine own Coronation." There was no anger behind his words, clearly unoffended by her absence. Nevertheless, a burning curiosity did linger in his smooth, chiseled face as he tilted his head with a deceptively soft smile.

"Are you looking for something?"

Maphesa

• Wonder
Reactions: Maphesa
She shot Varos a smile at his comment, along with a nod of farewell before turning her attention back upon Nairth. He had a look to him that appeared more of contemplation than mere admiration. She couldn't know what his thoughts actually were, she was only able to muse about what they might be. Vain as Maphesa was, she naturally assumed said thoughts were about her.

Naith spoke again with further flattery, found pleasing to her pointed ears. He also continued to express his preference over the dull and barren desert that surrounded the city. Truth that the life was an improvement upon otherwise desolate sands. But even the desert does not remain barren eternally, and the rarity of it all carried a particular beauty to it.

“So seldom it is that the rain falls upon the sands - but life blossoms beautifully when water does grace it. Rarity makes the gift all the more remarkable, don't you think?” She replied, giving another gesture towards the mortals who remained around the verdant growth and colourful flowers she'd conjured. Nairth listed several events she'd remained absent from. Maphesa was hardly the type to respond with shame. Rather, she was flattered that she'd been missed. He didn't seem upset, nor did there appear to be any trouble. Still, her absence had been noted.

“True, I've not strayed far from Leogaire as of late. I've been a touch preoccupied.” Maphesa admitted. A matter of decades was but a fleeting moment by fae standards. That much was accurate, though Maphesa had omitted another factor – in the days since her dreams had been disturbed, Maphesa had remained preoccupied with whom the culprit might have been. It was a discovery that she hadn't made – largely because she remained in false conviction that the Summer Court held the party responsible.

"Are you looking for something?" Asked Nairth, and Maphesa gave a slight raise to her eyebrow at the question. Surely he wasn't privy to what she'd been up to, but even without the context the reaction was appropriate. Still, there was no need for specifics. She was content to allow him to inquire further, genuinely curious whether he somehow was.

“Always. I just never know what it is until I find it.” Maphesa playfully quipped in response. It wasn't untrue. Presently, she had no idea who was responsible. Generally, freedom had afforded her the opportunity to pursue whatever she wanted.

There was hardly a moment said freedom wasn't exploited.

“And you?

Nairth San'Seya

Last edited:
Tharu felt the connection between he and his partner form effortlessly as she took his hand in her own. Though brief, for that single moment the two of them could feel and hear everything the other did. It was an incredible thing, for two Fae with the Gift they shared to be so compatible. It was all the more reason Tharu cherished her so dearly.

Her fingers lingered only briefly against his. Like Shayleigh, he was unsure how much she was confident in revealing about the two of them, but if Tharu had his way, he'd have declared his feelings for the chestnut haired Sidhe to any who asked him.

So enraptured was he that he nearly missed Rerreno's question regarding his Father. As if being pulled from a dream, Tharu's head snapped back to the Vitae brother with an almost dreamlike smile on his face. "Hm? Oh, My father?" Tharu smirked, turning his head to look towards Nairth speaking with Maphesa, making no attempt to keep his distance from the ebony haired woman. "He's never too ragged to flirt. It's one of his few joys, I believe."

As Shay finished her drink and admired the scenery, Tharu reached out, taking her hand gently once more, this time holding it in his.

"I ended up not needing to flirt to find the one I want."

Shayleigh
Rerreno

• Aww
Reactions: Shayleigh
Maphesa had some way with words-- she spoke in a way that resonated more with The Spring King than many were capable of. Her musings on the beauty of life being so rare a gift among the desolate lands they now graced with their presence brought a genuine smile to his lips, the sentiment ringing true to his own ears. At her gesture, his golden gaze turned to the mortals, watching them with a strange cocktail of several emotions. Love, primarily, but there were other thoughts they brought to his mind. They ran deeper, rooted firmly in his heart.

"The present time has been trying, and difficult. For all of us..." Just as Maphesa had been busy, so too had Nairth found himself thrust into the rumbling beginnings of war no sooner than he'd been crowned King. The Autumn, Summer and Spring were on a collision course, but even beyond that a dark shadow loomed and threatened them all. The effort had been exhausting, even to a Duanann. "This has been the first time I've allowed myself to unwind in what feels like ages. I am proud to rule, but... It is undoubtedly the hardest thing I have ever done."

He was being surprisingly transparent with Maphesa, but he had no reason to fear her. This day was for celebration and togetherness, not agenda or motive. The soft smile on his face still lingering, he turns to face her once again. Her answer to his question could have been predicted, but his own reply wasn't much different.

"Part of me was looking for this. Displays to give me hope in a time when hope can sometimes dwindle. Another part seeks answers to questions that cannot be answered. Perhaps my hope is that speaking with one as enlightened as yourself will help me to devise those resolutions on my own."

Pausing, he lifts his drink to his lips, his eyes not leaving hers as he finishes the contents of his glass and lowers it gently from his mouth.

"Of course, I am always looking for surprises myself. One must come to these gatherings with an open mind..."

Maphesa

• Ctuhlu senpai
“It’s no small surprise to see you so distant from your court. Nor a minor delight.” She remarked, that playful smile never leaving her lips. The burden of rulership was not one she could claim to be familiar with, such responsibility was far from her preference or style. A leader lives for the betterment of those they hold stewardship over, while Maphesa had left the spring court out of desire to live for herself. The same social requirements that had enabled her to rise among the Summer court ranks turned out to be a shackle that restrained her from her whims.

And what was the point of that? She’d put forth all that work, all for the privilege of some modicum of comfort. That wasn’t enough, she’d learned. What she really wanted was freedom, and that was a gift the Summer Court would not truly grant her. The plight of King Nairth was one she could sympathise with, despite her otherwise selfish nature. It was a dilemma that had personally affected her, which enabled actual empathy genuine enough to curl her lips into a pout.

“The yoke of responsibility fits heavy, and asks much. I can’t imagine it’s anything but difficult to manage it all.” Maphesa said, placing a hand upon his shoulder with the delivered sympathy she did not expect to give. Poor Nairth had succumbed beneath it, as she feared she would’ve in a continued life with the Summer Court.

Maphesa listened intently to his problem. She had resolved her own issues by simply absconding from them, but abdicating was not a suggestion she could make. It was unlikely to be well taken by Nairth, nor his people, who would understandably despise such encouragement from the lips of an outsider. Politics was a mess she’d much rather avoid personal meddling in, but Nairth knew that better than she did herself. That he stressed the need to arrive at these conclusions ‘on his own’, greatly eased her concern. As did his flattery, which the Duanann of desire always enjoyed.

“Maybe so. You share a concern I’ve certainly dealt with.” Maphesa replied, her smile now melancholic. “Though I know that a king cannot freely flee as a courtier might. The yoke remains, but it needn’t be constant. I'm sure even a king can find the time to live a little – you’ve joined us here for a good time and escape, after all.” She replied, taking a small step closer as she did.

“And the right place for surprises, too. An open mind leads to open opportunities...” She added, flashing another playful grin as she spoke.

Nairth San'Seya

Nairth's smile grew lopsided, becoming more of a smirk as her hand pressed flat against the bare skin of his shoulder and she stepped in closer. The two of them thought similarly on many things, but they had also led far different paths in life. Maphesa had fled her home seeking... what? Freedom from the shackles of what was expected of her? Changes to her lifestyle? A home that would not dare try and restrain her as the Summer had?

Nairth knew not and did not ask. One does not query a bird on why it flies, it simply does. Maphesa sought freedom, and as far as the Monarch of Life was concerned, freedom she deserved. As she closed more of the dwindling distance between them, Nairth's voice lowered slightly as he spoke. "There was a time when I would have scoffed at the notion of chaining myself to a throne... When I was younger. I believe I was much like you back then. I yearned for freedom, to be uncaged." Quickly, and subtly, his eyes raked over her form. It was an admiring survey of all that she was, but there was something else in golden-amber eyes. It almost resembled the green tinge of envy.

"I do sometimes wish I could still live in such a way."

Whilst she had run away to seek freedom, Nairth had fled from that very freedom. It was one of the many privileges he'd stripped from himself when he'd committed the sin of shedding his own blood, that fateful day when fury and sorrow had mixed into a deadly cocktail of mercilessness of his own kind. The slaying of his children was his greatest failure, and in the aftermath, he swore himself to servitude. If not only for his love of The Spring, then to make some attempt to atone for what he'd done by enriching the life he'd so thoughtlessly taken.

That hint of bitterness to his voice quickly passed, though. He was no longer a grieving widower who'd victimized his family and drowned himself in the resulting guilt; Nairth was the King of Spring now. He'd taken the last seed planted by his late partner in Tharu, and cultivated it into a Fae that she would have been proud of.

And Maphesa was right. He still found the time to live.

So he met that mischievous smirk of hers with an equally delinquent simper. The hand that held his glass disposed of the empty receptacle and rose to brush stray raven locks from her face, and his tone grew almost teasing in its bounce.

"It's been so long though, since I've loosened my binds and walked free..."

His head tilted, strands of silver falling over his face in thin rivers.

"Perhaps you'd be so gracious as to remind me how it's done, Maphesa?"

• Ctuhlu senpai
He didn't blather on about honour and virtue being worthy of the sacrifice, but longed for times past carrying mirth and freedom. Times that she revelled in, and it was the very pursuit of the latter that spurred her to suddenly vanish. To be younger was a notion that carried freedom and a pursuit of fun, and Maphesa could no longer imagine a life lacking it.

Her admiration was sparked by sympathy, to a degree. Though it was far more greatly bolstered by the flattery implied by such longing words of admiration for the lifestyle that she proudly lived. Independence and status had been the benefit of her efforts as a Courtier of Summer, but she too had realized the burdens involved. Independence was a fabrication. She was free to do as she wished, so long as she wished to do what the Summer Court approved of. Which really meant that the reward for dedication and hard work was the opportunity to do more of it.

Rising up in the Summer Court had been a game, but the thrill had ended when her aim was achieved. Only then did she the gilded cage that awaited her, and she dared not remain to become trapped within. The notion of providing that very freedom to another was enticing, especially when it was a Court's king.

"I do sometimes wish I could still live in such a way." Nairth remarked.

“Well, you’ve got no court or responsibilities here. The weight of regency can be burdensome… But there’s no reason it can’t be doffed for a day.” Maphesa replied with a playful smile, raising her hand up and flicking her fingers at his brow as if to knock away an imaginary crown.

"Its been so long though, since I've loosened my binds and walked free..." He added. Still wearing that same smile, Maphesa tilted her head in mirrored motion and paused for a moment before her reply.

“A way I walk every day, and know oh so well.” Maphesa replied, with a teasing smirk. “What? Has it been so long you need a guide?” She teased further with her smirk turning to a grin, complete with another slow tilt of her head with a continued gaze upon the Fae of her present atttention.

Nairth San'Seya