Open Chronicles The Strength of Foundations

A roleplay open for anyone to join

Ava Gilleth

Vizier of Imperial Intelligence
Character Biography
Link
Ava had a lot of work to do. It was all well and good to have landed herself a seat as the Imperial Sorceress, but to take control of intelligence and espionage she needed recruits. The younger, the better. Children were easy to influence and mould and made wonderful spies, people paid little attention to children.

It was this that brought her to the Madrassa of Peace. A school under the direction of Vizier Telenar, it was here she would find those she could suitable for the work she needed. SHe would of course visit the Madrassa of War, but that would be to handpick her own personal guard. For now, she could protect herself. Her priority was to find those capable of seeing and not being seen.

A servant followed her as she walked the walls above the courtyard, shielding her from the sun with a heavy parasol as surveyed the students beneath. Some merely cast her a curious glance, but looked away when she met their gaze. A few bolder ones openly stared at her. All of them knew they were being judged, but for what they wouldn’t know. Not unless she picked them.

Selene stood in what could only be described as the foyer of the school. Just opposite her was a man clad in the color slashed robes of the Archlectors, his face impassive as he spoke to her about the events just a few weeks ago.

There was an odd sort of smile on the mans face, but it did not reach his eyes. Anyone else might have found it unsettling, but Selene found it almost as familiar as staring into a mirror. "My methods are hardly ever subtle."

The words were said plainly, though there was so little to her tone it could almost be taken as a jest.

"The same can be said of many of your sort, or so I hear."

Dreadlords had reputations even in Amol-Kalit it seemed. She did not find that too surprising, sorcerers all over the world studied one another. Besides, the new Empire in the Sands and Vel Anir were neighbors, it made sense Gerra's sorcerers would learn as much as they could of the Dreadlords.

It was why she was here after all; insight into a potential new foe...or friend.

• Sip
Reactions: Gerra
“Mistress Ava?” an older student had approached timidly, clearly nervous. His eyes darted between her and the servant’s impassive face. Ava did not look at him, merely pursed her lips, forehead creasing slightly in a frown. Perhaps the student would realize his mistake…

Vizier Ava.” corrected her servant, clearly unable to bear tormenting the child anymore. Ava turned giving him a disappointed look before waving him away. He bowed as deep as the parasol would allow him and moved away. Ava enjoyed the warmth of the sun on her skin and turned her full attention to the student. “I...uh...um..Vizier Ava...um.”

“Spit it out, child, I haven’t got all day to wait for you to get a grip on yourself.”

The boy looked hard at his feet and mumbled. “They are ready for you.”

About time, Ava thought, still studying the boy. He was around thirteen, all leg and built like a bean pole. His inability to look her in the eye annoyed her, while she found fear a useful tool, she much preferred to see the strength in people’s souls when she looked at them. This one was weak. “Lead the way, then.”

Clearly grateful for the excuse to turn away he scurried towards the school, leading her down stone steps that took her out of the sun’s warmth and into the school’s foyer. The Archlector offered her a stiff bow. “Vizier Ava, it is a great-” he began but she held up a hand to silence him, her eyes fixed on the woman he had been speaking to.

“You,” she said pointedly “are a dreadlord.” The Archlector was clearly annoyed at being cut off, but Ava paid him no mind as she surveyed the woman in front of her before offering her hand in greeting. “What brings you to the Madrassa of Peace?"

Selene raised an eyebrow at the woman who approached them, glancing briefly at the Archlector.

From the way he immediately fell into silence she guessed this woman held a rank of some significance. Something she found quite interesting given her understanding of where the Lectors themselves stood in society.

Lips pursed for a brief moment before she answered the question. "I was invited."

Selene reached out and took the womans hand, shaking it with the same bland expression she had offered many nobles.

"An offer extended for my deeds at The Coronation." In truth, Selene suspected that this entire thing had been half courtesy and half chance to study her. There was no doubt in her mind that the Archlectors wanted to learn as much about her as they possibly could.

Plus, anything she said about her homeland would only be added value.

The Game of Houses had schooled her well in the way of these things.

• Yay
"Ah," she said her smile broadening. "You must be Selene. Ava Gilleth, at your service." She turned her attention back to the Archlector who had a vein throbbing in his temple. "Be a dear, won't you Snaaib, and have a drawing room or something set aside for us. I'd very much like to get to know our guest, perhaps over a drink or two." Amusement glittered in Ava's eyes at the continued throbbing at his temple.

"Archlector." he snarled. "And you do not command me."

Ava's polite smile widened. "Of course not, but you'll do it anyway." Snaaib bristled, but wavered under Ava's unflinching smile, deflating like a balloon he stalked away from them, nose high in the air. "I do hate professors." she said with a sigh. "Come, I'm to choose some students to train, I'd be interested in your opinion of them."

Ava waved a hand at the boy who'd lead her in here to continue leading, he'd stayed silent and wide eyed throughout the confrontation. "I was fortunate enough to avoid the carnage that the coronation became. I joined Gerra's court not too long ago. He's an interesting man to say the least."

Selene Avar

Selene watched the entire interaction with a great amount of interest. She had no idea who this woman was, but apparently she commanded a great deal of respect. The Archlector seemed fit to burst as the woman stared him down.

Briefly she thought he would lash out, but then he simply offered The Dreadlord a curt nod and stalked away. Pity.

The thought rang through her mind. It was the first bit of division she had seen within Gerra's ranks. So far they had presented only a unified front, each and every one of them out for the greater good of this new Empire.

It seemed this woman did not share that attitude.

"I would be happy to provide my thoughts." She was no Proctor, but now as a mentor to Henry Bauer she had a keen insight into Vel Anir's own students of magic.

Selene flowed after the boy, moving in step with Ava but ensuring that she never went beyond where the woman herself walked. A practiced motion.

"It was certainly...eventful." She commented. "Most parties I attend are far less fun."

• Yay
"Can I help you, milady?"

In her second-best riding dress, with traces of a murderer's blood still drying under her fingernails, Mirielle did not feel much like a milady. But the sacrifice had said to come here to the School of Peace, quickly.

"I understand Archlector Snaaib is visiting. If he has a moment for...?" She trailed off. A number of expressions were cycling across the portly human steward's face.

"The Archlector is...I will see if he is available." The steward hesitated. "Ah, I understand he has suffered some irritations today. But perhaps your company will be to his benefit. Who should I introduce?"

"Lady Mirielle Merlon. He won't have heard of me. Just a moment of his time is all."

The steward glanced over his shoulder into the complexity of the madrassa. At last he nodded firmly. "This way, milady."

Sent abroad from Ashdell, she'd studied arts and sciences at Elbion, which liked to consider itself the finest college in the world. The Madrassa of Peace appeared to measure up, at least in grandeur. The new god-emperor had invested heavily in this place, tailored it for exploration of astronomy and other impressive sciences.

"Is the Archlector often associated with the school?" she asked, walking alongside the steward like an equal.

"Not often, no. We're pleased and honoured when he does visit, of course, but so much of his work is in Annuakat. If you've been seeking him here in Ragash, your timing is excellent."

The steward paused as a robed man silently raged out of what appeared to be an empty, well-furnished sitting room. The new arrival was trim but lanky, with tidy black facial hair and a clear dress sense. His eyes caught Mirielle's. The anger vanished in a heartbeat. Between the distinct robes and the absolute tonal control-

"Archlector Snaaib," said Mirielle with a deep nod, almost a bow. "I hoped to catch you for a moment while we're both visiting."

Snaaib glanced at the steward, who drew himself up to his full height. "The lady Mirielle Merlon, Archlector."

The high priest of the Annunaki nodded respectfully. "Lady Merlon, a pleasure. Will you walk with me?"

###​

The small talk was small talk at its best: polished, mildly interesting, and brief. The two of them had barely left sight of the empty sitting room when Mirielle found herself gently prompted about the reason for her visit.

"To ask your advice, Archlector. A matter of faith." When he raised a groomed eyebrow, she hurried on. "You serve the Six?"

"The Seven, some might say."

"Of course. Hasuerus na-Gerra, god of fire - yes?"

Snaaib nodded. "Does your question involve Him?"

"No." She smiled as the Archlector relaxed fractionally. "No, Archlector, I'm not here for any political reason. Some years ago I left my home in Ashdell and found myself in service to a pantheon you may not know. I'm not a priest, but I make the sacrifices they require and do what they ask or suggest."

"If you'll forgive me, Lady Merlon, that sounds very much like a priesthood to me." They'd reached a courtyard with a walking path through sun-bleached stones. Snaaib chose a delicately crafted bench. "Which pantheon do you serve?"

Mirielle sat beside him. "They aren't...human gods."

"No gods are human, in a way. Perhaps several ways."

"They don't have a name in Common. I call them the Serpent Gods. They're from...well, their people are a long way from the Empire."

"I take it their people would be just as unfamiliar to me?"

"And just as inhuman. You understand my position: I've committed myself."

"By choice?"

"By extreme need, but the commitments are made and I stay the course." She found herself picking at the dried blood under her nails, and stopped.

"But there are benefits to their service? The commitment is worth it? Two-sided? A true covenant worth believing in?"

She let out a slow breath. The courtyard wall framed a mural in mosaic, a gorgeous geometric pattern that snared her eyes and calmed her. "Yes. No matter the cost. I studied, oh, many gods and ethical texts in places like this. In part I wish I could go back-"

"Simpler times. When the world reveals itself for what it is, we cling to the real and meaningful wherever we can find it, like gold glinting in the muck. Grasping reality is not always pleasant, but it is often empowering."

"Yes, exactly. Serving who I serve is terrifying, disturbing...but the most real thing I've ever experienced."

Archlector Snaaib smiled faintly. "I suspect you didn't need me to tell you any of that, Lady Merlon."

"Not at all, but you've been invaluable all the same, Archlector."

"Beltessar - please."

"Beltessar?" The Amol-Kalit name rolled off her tongue. "Beltessar Snaaib."

"Well, it's...one of my names. You tend to acquire them in our line of work."

She chuckled and meant it. He laughed along, but his good humour broke off. Emotion blanked out of his face and manner, a gate shutting. He was looking over her shoulder, and when she glanced back through the school she saw two women being pointed toward the door of the beautiful sitting room.

"Who are they?" Mirielle asked, very quietly.

"The Elven woman is Ava Gilleth, one of the Emperor's viziers. The red-haired human with her is a guest: Selene Avar, a Dreadlord of Vel Anir."

"A Dreadlord? She looked...cleaner than I'd imagined."

The slightest hint of a smile made it through Snaaib's control, somewhere around the eyes.

"Do you need to go to them?" she asked.

"I do not. I'm sure the mages have a great deal to discuss over drinks in the room they requested."

"You don't consider yourself a mage?"

He shook his head. "What some call divine magic...well, their concept of it puts too much emphasis on the instrument-" He tapped his chest. "-and too little on the agency that doesn't just provide power, but direction."

"It's said you called a plague of locusts."

"Neither the power nor the idea were mine. Instrument, as I said. I trust my gods."

"You know, Beltessar, I can almost see you asking whether I trust mine."

"You're right: I wouldn't ask that." He stood from the bench as a pair of senior-looking lectors started into the courtyard. "Lady Merlon-"

"Mirielle. Miri."

"I'd like to continue our talk. I'm leading a worship service at the palace tonight. Have you seen the Golden Pond yet?"

"I look forward to it."

###​

As the Archlector and his fellowservants left, presumably for the palace, Mirielle quietly let herself into the sitting room that had been prepared for Gilleth and the Dreadlord at the Elf's request. Maybe they'd already entered; maybe not.

Last edited:
  • Yay
Reactions: Tabatha and Gerra
“I think you and I have a very different definition of fun. Still, it must have been something to see the Sheikhs and Emirs under such duress.” she pursed her lips in thought. Such a drastic event could prove beneficial in the identification of strengths and weaknesses. Survival of the fittest, one might call it. Ava filed the thought away for exploration later.

The boy led them into a large classroom with around twenty students who were milling in groups chatting amicably among themselves, the usual desks had been cleared to the sides to allow space for whatever Ava had in mind. The chatter died away almost instantly as they entered, and their young faces swung to watch them, none of them older than fifteen.

Another lector greeted them with a bow, then turned to the class. “Children, I present to you Vizier Ava Gilleth. She is here to select some of you to train personally for a new force she is creating.” That created a buzz of chatter, some faces shone with excitement, others looked fearful and some, simply bored.

Ava stepped forward. “Spread out, I want to see all of you easily.” They did so, forming a loose formation of lines that allowed her to move between them. “Our divine Emperor, has tasked me with the job of building on our already vast intelligence group. Do you know what that means?”

“Spies.” piped up a young boy at the front. Ava graced him with a smile that made him blush slightly and stare intently at his feet.

“Yes,” she continued, moving through the children and running her eyes over each of them. “Spies. Children make the best spies, they pass unnoticed by most and see far more than adults. You will be taught a great many things but before I can teach you anything, I need to know what you are capable of. Over the next few days I will be testing you. Not just for your skill with magic, but for your powers of observation, your ability to move unseen and your most importantly how well you can remember small but important details. First, I will start with something simple.”

She had made a full loop of the classroom and come to stand next to Selene again. “Make a note of who you are standing next to, pick a feature of theirs. By tomorrow morning, I want to see who of who can mimic that feature. For example:” Ava turned to face Selene, studying the woman's face. The ring of pride on her left hand glowed slightly as she drew a little energy from it. Ava’sf ace morphed, ears shrunk and her hair changed colour till it would seem like Selene was looking into a mirror. “Mimicry,” she turned to face the children again, many of them gasped in awe “Is a useful tool. Show me what you can learn on your own.”

Her face shifted again, back to her own and she smiled. “Dismissed.”

The boy who had led them earlier stepped towards the pair. “I can take you to the sitting room now.”

“Please,” Ava replied, watching Selene from the corner of her eye. “I’d very much like a drink.”

Selene Avar Mirielle Merlon

So this woman was a spy, or rather a spymaster.

It was an interesting insight into Gerras Empire and the way that things would be conducted in the future. Back in Vel Anir spied were as common as peasants. Everyone had something to sell, everyone had something to give away.

Selene herself had a network of spies, though it was far smaller than she would have liked.

Several Archons had networks that rivaled those used by the Great Houses, but unfortunately Selenes own had not reached anywhere that's sight. It was still growing of course, but making inroads for such things was difficult in Vel Anir.

Everyone was always watching, and she did not have the luxury of an Emperor supporting her.

"A drink would be nice." She agreed with a nod of her head.

The Dreadlord knew that she had to tread carefully here. She doubted there was a threat to her life, such a thing would reflect badly on both Gerra and his new Empire. Yet she had a strong suspicion there was a far larger game at play here.

Something just beyond just the friendly visit that the Archlector had intended.

Everything was a game in Ava's view. Sometimes it was a little fun, often though such games could be deadly. She'd laid the first card on the table and now she wanted to know what the dreadlord would offer in return, if anything. Ava suspected that it wold take a great deal more than this simple meeting to unwind the mystery that was Selene. That, in itself, was enough to keep Ava interested.

The boy led them out of the classroom and down another hall into a sitting room. He opened the door wide for them both, bowed and closed it behind them. The room, much to Ava's surprise was already occupied. She shot a glance at Selene, wandering if this had anything to do with her, then took another look at the woman waiting for them.

She was relatively well dressed, in Ava's opinion, so that took her off the possible servant list. There was something off about her call it instinct, if you will. That and the fact that she hadn't been invited put Ava instantly on guard. She pursed her lips and frowned. "I had expected this room to be unoccupied. Forgive my ignorance, but, who are you?"

A touch of suppressed fear in the eyes, a breath half-caught, an immediate curtsey. "Mirielle, milady."

The waiting room was well-appointed, quite proper and lovely, with a delicate tea set. She poured two dainty cups and brought them over on a tray with small honey pastries. In her second-best riding dress of a relatively local style, Mirielle could pass for a servant. A commanding presence had never been her strong suit; she generally preferred to fade out of notice.

She'd done nothing untoward to the tea or the pastries or anything along those lines. Largely because she didn't have the time before they came in.

She set the tray on a low, elegant table between the room's seats, and stepped back properly, meekly, to stay unnoticed by the door. If guests needed anything else - food, alcohol, privacy - they would ask for it.

Well, 'ask' might be too generous a term.

Ava Gilleth Selene Avar

Last edited:
Selene watched the whole interaction with a blank face, her lips thinning slightly as she watched the servant.

There was no need to suspect her as anything else, but Selene was in a foreign Empire surrounded by foreigners. Beyond that, the other woman in the room was said Empire's Spymaster. Better to be tight lipped anyway.

"If I may ask." Selene decided it would be better to be the first one to talk.

"How did you come into the service of Gerra?" The Dreadlord turned away from the Servant and towards Ava Gilleth. "So many of his followers have...unique stories."

That much she had learned at the coronation, before all the chaos had broken out.

It seemed that the half-giant had a way of recruiting people. Her greatest surprised had been seeing the Professor fighting at Gerra's side, though that was one deception she still had not been able to quite figure out.

Ava watched the so called servant slide into the background. She chose to keep an eye on her, if she wasn't who she said she was now was not the time to call her on it. Instead, the elf moved across the room to settle into one of the plush armchairs near the tea.

"I seduced him." She replied, plucking a piece of lint from her skirt before looking up with a deadpan expression.

She smiled. "A tried and true method, if ever there was one."

Selene had no idea if the the woman was attempting to make a joke or had decided to simply be brutally honest to shock her. Neither would really matter. If such methods worked in Vel Anir she likely would have resorted to it herself.

Unfortunately for her, Vel Anir was an utter meritocracy. Nepotism and the like could bring you only so far before you were tested...and then quickly killed.

In a strange way it was better to simply be capable and ruthless than anything else. Shortcuts rarely worked. That was what she'd learned over the years.

Better to prove yourself capable than elevate yourself through the position of others.

These women didn't know each other, at least not well. If Mirielle had to hazard a guess after just a few words exchanged, they might be sounding each other out as potential allies or adversaries. A Dreadlord's involvement lent itself to any number of inferences.

Anyone with eyes knew that, sooner or later, somewhere or other, Vel Anir and the Empire of Amol-Kalit would find their needs and ambitions opposed. The smart money was on western Cortos near the eastern mouth of the Baal-Asha - either that or the portal stone between here and Elbion. Not only was that the sole portal stone available to the Empire, but it allowed for traffic to and from the stone nestled between Vel Anir and the Falwood.

Or maybe Vel Anir would just sail one of the Blackforts up the Baal-Asha as far as it would fit, and go from there. The Anirian Great Houses weren't exactly known for the subtle approach.

• Yay
Ava shrugged. "It works well in some places, less so in others. I recognised an opportunity and Gerra recognised that my talents would serve him. The seduction was simply a wax seal on a business arrangement." she picked up the tea cup, smelling it before taking a sip. It wasn't really the drink she wanted, but she imagined the lectors kept their wine under heavy lock and key with so many youngsters running around.

"I've yet to make acquaintances of all of Gerra's beloved followers, but I will, in time. Tell me, which house were you emissary for at the coronation?"

So not a joke then.

Selene couldn't help but be amused. Those who used such a tactic were often far less brash about their admittance of it. Despite herself, Selene couldn't help but like this woman. Though that just made her watch her all the more carefully.

"I serve at the pleasure of House Virak." Hardly a secret. "Though I was not a part of any official delegation."

She had come at the behest of Elise Virak, but more so for herself than anything else. Selene saw opportunity here with this new Empire, a way to pursue her own ambitions. Not that she would ever admit as much to anyone.

Even thoughts of such things could see her executed. "I believe the King sent several Emissaries."

Though they'd arrived after the coronation itself.

• Yay
Reactions: Mirielle Merlon
Ava raised an eyebrow. Not part of an official party meant that she was a pair of eyes for an individual. Not exactly surprising considering the houses reputation for political rivalry. She imagined there must have been a dozen of extra eyes there that were not sent by the king. Spies sent by individuals because who dare trust anything but their own sources?

"The King did. But you were there during the attack. So which noble pulls at the puppet strings of dreadlord Selene?"

Selene smiled and repeated. "I serve at the pleasure of House Virak."

Though in truth she served only two of it's family members. Elise and her father. It had not always been so, there was a time when she'd first left the Academy where even the branch families had sent her on missions.

Now she had all but autonomy.

Such graces came with power. The stronger she became the fewer felt as though they could properly control it. Of course the proper scions of House Virak had their own abilities, though Selene knew painfully little about them. It was one of the reasons she still served them.

"I suspect that by months end Amol-Kalit will see a representative from every Great House." She said the words with a smile, anyone with an ounce of political acumen could tell what it meant. The real power would eventually show itself. "I just happen to be the first."

She glanced over at the servant. "A stroke of luck."

• Yay
A glance could mean anything to a servant, but typically it was a subtle prompt to keep service rolling. The table that had held the tea set also held a tray under a silver cloche. Mirielle removed the cloche: the tray's contents appeared to be small, crunchy, liqueur-filled pastries of some kind. A Ragashi delicacy, presumably; neither Ashdell or Lazular had anything like it. She brought the tray over, wordless, and set it on the low table between them. In its stead she took away the tea set, apart from their cups and saucers.

Seen and not heard, and ideally not even seen. There would be time, in due course, to think over the full implications of even the high-level things she'd heard today. For the moment she needed to focus on being the best possible innocuous servant.

Last edited:
  • Sip
Reactions: Selene Avar
Ava's smile did not falter, though there was a brief flash of annoyance in her eyes. She'd forgotten just how well everyone in Vel Anir played the game. Selene was going to take every bit of skill and patience she had to break into the hard outer shell. Still, it was a refreshing change and she never shied away from a challenge.

"There is no such thing as luck." Ava replied, watching the servants hands as she collected the tea set, noting the flecks of dried blood around the girls finger nails. "Everything happens for a reason, whether it be a calculated move by a person, or divine intervention. Nothing happens by accident."

She snapped her gaze back to Selene as the not-servant did so very well at fading back into the background. Whoever she was, she was very very good. Credit where credit is due, Ava wondered if it was possible to recruit her. "As for the rest of the Houses representatives, I shall be sure to welcome them all. You've set the bar high though, Selene, I hope the stand up to the example you've set. Otherwise, I might be disappointed."

Mirielle Merlon Selene Avar

"I'm afraid they will all wash over you like the smell of an outhouse." Which was to say, with an extreme distaste and disappointment.

Selene did not have much confidence in the rest of the Great Houses. They all had players whom she respected, some she even feared, but that did not meant much out here. She doubted many of the Houses would send anyone like her.

She had only volunteered to come due to her own interests. "Besides."

The Dreadlord waved her hand.

"We have so much to talk about." She would have to make her play eventually, perhaps it would be better with this woman than Gerra. "After all, there are so few people like us."

• Yay
Clearly they were still dancing around each other, keeping things abstract enough that a servant's presence was no obstacle - or they'd have dismissed her by now. She poked at possibilities in the back of her mind, ways she could draw them out, but only one way forward struck her as truly practical, albeit counterintuitive.

The School of Truth used small bells or chimes for certain signals. The next time one rang, faintly audible from here, she slipped out of the room innocuously, and left Ava Gilleth and Selene Avar to speak in privacy.

Archlector Snaaib was nowhere in sight, sadly; she'd have liked to spend more time with him. Instead she went to the school's observatory. Daylight made its telescopes almost useless, so the great room had peace and quiet. She walked among star maps and fragmentary meteorites in the light of huge overhead apertures that could seal against rain or sandstorms. Warm, dry Ragashi air filled her. She allowed herself to relax.

• Popcorn
Ava glanced over as the door clicked closed, making a mental note to seek the girl out once she was done here. "True." She commented, inclining her head. "There are few, fortunate enough to be in our situations."

She fell quiet for a moment, looking thoughtful. "I'd have great use for a woman of your skill, but I suspect such an alliance would come at a high price, no?"

• Popcorn
"Alliance?" Selene clicked her tongue. "That's a tad forward."

Anyone in Vel Anir would have danced around such a proposition for about a week. There would have been dinners, party invitations, half a dozen other things before the words Alliance was even mentioned in any sort of context.

She supposed her people were funny that way. "The cost for such a thing is indeed high."

A smile touched the Dreadlords face.

"But I'm sure we can help one another." A shrug rolled over her shoulder."After all, there is always steps to be taken together."

She mused for a moment. "What is it you are trying to achieve?"

If Ava was going to be forward, so would she.