Open Chronicles The Strength of Foundations

A roleplay open for anyone to join
"I can retract the statement and we can waste another several hours dancing around each other and pretending that we don't have something we both want, if you'd prefer." She replied with a slight roll of her eyes, setting her tea cup down. "I know it's what you are used to, but seeing as I get the impression your time here is limited by a leash, I'd rather not."

She pondered the answer to the womans question. To speak of such things here, of all places was beyond foolish. Yes she could cast protective spells that prevented them from being over heard, but it was a great deal of effort for something that might not be worth the risk.

"Let's keep it simple for now. An exchange of information for example. A great deal riskier for you and you station I imagine, but it's one I'm willing to take. You keep me informed of movement between the houses that might effect me and mine, and I'll do the same for you. If we can prove to one another that the relationship is trustworthy and beneficial, then we can meet again where the walls don't have ears and discuss things in more depth."

She smiled. "I'll see what I can do."

It was a simple enough agreement, though probably one that she could not fulfill as well as Ava might like.

The Great Houses kept secrets like squirrels collected nuts. Even with the greatest network of spies in the world it would have been difficult to ascertain what any Great House might be planning at one time. Mostly because they all seemed to have a dozen plots at once.

If not more.

Still, passing word of anything she heard wouldn't be too difficult. If it was a rival House that stood opposite Virak it would even be easy.

The autonomy she'd gained since being raised to the First was great for such things.

"I would watch myself here." She stated plainly. "I suspect your Emperor's name does not carry as far as he would wish."

• Yay
Reactions: Mirielle Merlon
"Mirielle?"

She blinked and looked up from a canted table that held stone tablets under cloudy glass. Beltessar Snaaib got a warm smile. "Oh, hello again. I'd thought you were going to the palace."

"Not quite yet. There's always something. A security delay - nothing severe, but those who watch out for me would prefer I wait until sunset and leave by a gate other than the front one."

"Is that something they make you do every day? Or just this once?"

Beltessar shrugged fluidly under his layers of robes. "Now and again, since my appointment to the Divan." He came around to stand beside her, look down through the glass at the tablets. "It's remarkable, isn't it. So far as I'm aware, not even the best scholars have a clear idea of the sequence of the Ages. This piece is thought to be from the Age of Uroghosh, but-"

"It's newer than that," said Mirielle firmly. "That glyph, right there - I read about it in Elbion. It's a known mistranslation of an insignia associated with King Grichen, from the Age of Expansion."

"That much a scholar. Your husband is a fortunate man to have such an advisor."

"My husband was Melic ibn Baha of Lazular."

"The Amir's brother? I was sorry to hear of Melic's death, and I'm sorry for your loss as well. He was a righteous man."

"He and I barely knew each other before he passed, but thank you. He would have liked to meet the Archlector, certainly."

Beltessar glossed over mention of his office. "So you live at Lazular still?"

"Amir Farid considers me family. We'd be pleased to welcome you there someday." There was a good deal of ambiguous subtext here. Farid ibn Baha was not an easy man to define as one of Gerra's subjects. Whether Lazular really truly fell within the domain of the Amol-Kalit empire was a somewhat unsettled and subjective matter. Snaaib, as a religious authority and a member of the Empire's ruling council, couldn't help but look at her in a certain way. Unavoidable.

"And I'd be pleased to visit. Lazular has a beautiful reputation." He paused as something occurred to him, maybe genuinely, or maybe he'd just been waiting for the right moment. "You spoke of your faith. Your brother-in-law, does he...?"

"He's quite orthodox in worshipping the Annunaki, like Melic was. The gods I follow have no presence in Lazular."

He waved that away. "Oh, any number of deities are welcome among the Hundred."

"But it would have been nice to know if an independent warleader like Farid followed the sort of gods I'm pledged to? With the sort of practices they demand? It's certainly not the case. You know more of my...faith...than he does. He simply knows he can call on me as long as he has a spare murderer or two locked away." A tacit note that, if relationships ever deteriorated, she might have an active role to play.

"That sounds very sensible for all concerned."

"It's a reasonable arrangement. As much as possible, though, I prefer it when he doesn't need to call on me at all."

###

She'd been hoping to use the Serpent Gods' hard-won goodwill by retroactively eavesdropping on the two mages' private discussion. Having spoken so long and openly with Beltessar, though, protecting their privacy seemed the better choice. If Mirielle could use the gods' favour to see and hear what had happened in a given place, full mages probably could too. Well, maybe not the Dreadlord, but Gilleth, yes.

The boon that Mirielle asked of the Serpent Gods was this: to guard her conversations with Beltessar from any visionary eavesdropping after the fact, any spell that asked what had transpired between them. The protection wouldn't do a thing if that had already happened, but she doubted it. Gilleth and Avar were probably still locked in politics, making eavesdropping unlikely.

But there could well be a time, tonight or a year from now, when a mage might seek to know what she and the Archlector had discussed. The Serpent Gods could prevent that, and she'd already paid the cost.

Alone in the observatory once Beltessar left for the palace, she made the quiet prayer and felt her blood burn in reply.

All in all, it seemed like a decent way to spend the day's human sacrifice.

Ava smiled at the warning. "Someone in a different position might tell you that your suspicions are correct, but my station would prevent me from confirming or denying such things." She rose from her seat and extended a hand for them to shake on their agreement. "You needn't worry about me, Selene I've been playing this game longer than most of these people have been breathing, I tend to see trouble long before it tries to stick a knife in my back."

Ava reached into her sleeve and drew from it a small gold coin. At a glance, it was just like any other but on closer inspection the faces were like no other. On one side were two sparrows settled either side of a great tree, the other an ostrich feather. She handed it to Selene. "There is a vendor in Anir Square, sells the best sweet pies in town and has a soft spot for the less privileged. Use this to purchase a pie and he will set you up with the means to communicate with me."

Had the serving girl not peaked her interest, she might have stayed to play the game a little more with Selene, but she didn't want such an opportunity slipping through her fingers. She moved to the wall, tugging on a serving bell. "If you're still here tomorrow, I would very much enjoy your input on a challenge for the children."

Selene Avar Mirielle Merlon

"Alas." Selene quickly countered. "I fear I must return home."

She had spent far too much time in the sands.

Initially her time here had meant to be short, but with the undead attack and everything she had done their her stay had been extended by nearly a week. The Empire had been grateful for her help, and she had not wanted to reject what had quickly become new opportunities for friendship and Alliance.

Of course the drawback was that every moment she stayed away the wheel turned faster in her homeland. Those that worked against her did not simply stop because she was not there, and she feared what would happen on her absence.

She would have to ensure Hal was more prepared for times like this in the future. "I'll be sure to contact you when I am able."

Anir square was not exactly the easiest place to get to, but she had her own ways of doing things. It would work just as well she thought.