Private Tales Raindrops on Roses

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Tabitha flashed him a smile as she ran across the muddy courtyard, her boots squelching with every step. She wasn't smiling because she was full of happiness she noticed. It was seeing him. She shook the notion, there was no way that path would ever be traveled.

She reached Llewen, her chest heaving. Her stamina had not returned, and even as simple run wore her down. She all but shoved the parcel into his hands, her grey eyes searching his. "Please use this to help her, to help you." She reached out to pat Spirit on the neck. "He's a strong horse, I think he'll enjoy the trip." She gave Llewen another sweet smile, and turned as if to head to the stables.

Llewen Merrick

LLewen still wasn't ready to make this trip. Even as Tabitha handed him the brooch, he felt a sense of guilt soak into him. She was willing to give up what little value she had in this world just to save his horse and help him out. In a sense, she was doing this all for him. And he couldn't quite understand why. Was his mercy really so endearing? Shouldn't he be the one helping her? These thoughts clawed at his mind.

Yet, as she turned to leave, he reached for her shoulder, gently turning her back towards him. His cheeks flushed, very slightly.

"Milady... please take care of yourself until I return."

He nodded, letting the moment hang perhaps too long, his hand still resting on her shoulder, but there was a determination in his eyes...

Tabitha felt his hand on her shoulder, his gentle touch bidding her to turn and face him. She did so, her flushed cheeks matching his as he spoke. She nodded, and smiled softly. "I will, do not worry about me. Come back home safely, Milord. I'll be waiting for you."

She caught herself staring into the depths of his eyes as she reached up to give the hand on her shoulder a light squeeze. "I'll be here when you return, and please..call me Tabby Milord." She pulled away from him reluctantly, though she enjoyed his touch, the harsh reality is that it would be frowned upon. Still, She couldn't fight the stirrings in her belly as she turned away from him, with one last smile and a wave.

She would turn as she reached the stable, she would watch him until he disappeared. She then ducked her head as she entered, making her way to Rosemary's stall, to make her as comfortable as she could while they awaited Llewen's return home.

Llewen Merrick

Last edited:
  • Cthuulove
Reactions: Llewen Merrick
"I'll call you what I like, Milady. But your objection is... noted." His voice was soft.

As she turned away, he clutched the brooch she'd handed him. It was a sudden keepsake that he felt a strange attachment to, as it had everything to do with Tabitha. Her touch was soft, and delicate, and he found himself wanting to feel that touch again. Yet his task lay before him, and he needed to ride to the city again--a half day's journey--and arrive back home again. It would be late in the night, and he hoped she would take care of herself, or if not, that Landis perhaps would.

Llewen mounted Spirit again, and with one last, regretful turn, he began riding out of the castle, looking behind him one last time as he did.

~~~~

The journey to Mardus was largely uneventful, which was useful for Llewen as he grappled with the conundrum he now faced regarding Tabitha's brooch. Assuming the apothecary even accepted the trade, did he want to save his horse over her dignity? All things had price that was too high to purchase, and he couldn't shake that this was one such case. The concern that she was a noblewoman of a past house also weighed on him; he worried for his estate and that word might get out that he'd kidnapped her, or some other nonsense, which might spark some other house to action, even if for an illegitimate claim. The whole situation was vexing, especially as his feelings for her were beginning to find purchase.

He looked for some time in the city streets to find the apothecary, who greeted him as he came off the street. Llewen entered, gazing at the many herbs and medicines on the store shelves before approaching the counter.

"Hello, I am Llewen of House Merrick. I have come seeking herbs to heal my horse. I need Chamomile, Dandelion, Devil's Claw, and... I think it was Meadowsweet. I'm prepared to offer this--" He said, offering the brooch. "--as payment."

The apothecary was an older man. His assistant could be seen organizing shelves behind him. The apothecary spoke.

"I've got all the herbs you need in stock, but the brooch is no good. I'll only take other herbs, or coin. And judging by the clothes you're wearing, Llewen of House Merrick, you might need more help than your horse. So bring me some herbs and you'll get your medicine."

Llewen was crushed. He'd come all this way, worried about these problems, and now there was nothing for it. He couldn't even use her brooch to purchase the herbs in the first place, so all of his fears had been for nothing. But now the situation was even worse. How would he get out of this, and get what he needed?

The shopkeeper's assistant suddenly spoke up.

"Master, I think that boy is Princess Helia's newest Paladin. He made quite a show at the palace the other day--we should help him, that might get us into the royal court's good graces."

The apothecary grumbled. "You may be right. Here, just a moment," he said, gathering various herbs and placing them into a small satchel. "Just remember us the next time you've got a need, your lordship. We certainly wouldn't want to cause a Paladin any trouble."

Llewen reluctantly took the herbs, nodding. "Thank you, your kindness may have saved this Knight's life. I will repay you someday."

They exchanged farewells as Llewen made his way back to Spirit. The sun was already starting to go down, and he would be riding most of the way home in the dark. Fortune smiled on him again as he was able to arrive safely home again. He stabled Spirit again, then moved his now tired body into the castle again, where he went into the great hall, looking for Tabitha again, where despite his exhaustion he was eager to see her again.

Tabitha had spent the greater time of Llewen's departure in the stables. She had slipped quietly into Rosemary's stall, shushing the mare as she went. She sat at the noble mare's head, taking her gingerly into her lap. She stroked her face, kissing her softly and whispering all her secrets to the palfrey.

She spent hours keeping her calm and relaxed, humming softly and massaging her muscles gently. A soft song sprung from her lips as she worked on the mare, her sweet voice carrying through the stable clearly.

Sometimes in this life we hear
Calling from somewhere
Sometimes it is loud and clear
Sometimes it's so softly there

Sometimes it is in the sea
Sometimes in the sky
Sometimes it's in you and me
Sometimes it's a cry

Open your heart
I am calling you
Right from the very start
Your wounded heart was calling, too

Open your arms
You will find the answer
When you answer to the Call

Sometimes it is in desire
Or in the love we fear
When the call keeps calling us
'Till the fear will disappear

Open your heart
I am calling you
Right from the very start
Your wounded heart was calling, too

She finished with a soft sigh, and bade the horse a quiet farewell with promises to return. She could already hear Landis approaching to make sure she got some rest. He certainly knew Llewen would have bid it. "Alright Landis, I'm going!" She called out to him with a chuckle to herself. She extricated herself from the mare and slid out of the stable quietly. She could see Landis's departing back in front of her.

It was warm and welcoming in the great hall and she soaked the warmth in before seeking out the bath. She smelled of horse and there was straw stuck in her hair. She cleaned quickly enough, and ran a comb through her red tresses. She scrambled to get dressed, wanting to grab some stew and await Llewen's return.

She went to the great hall, Landis handing her a bowl with that stern look of his she was coming to understand well enough. She began to eat, careful not to wolf it down like an animal. She heard the door open, she looked up and there he was. He was home.

Tabitha jumped up and ran to him, grey eyes searching him for any injury, and sign that anything went wrong at all. "You're home." It was a breathless whisper as she waited for what news he had for her.

Llewen Merrick

• Cthuulove
Llewen stepped through the doors to his great hall less the conquering hero and more the concerned spouse; he'd wondered if Tabitha had taken ill again while he was away, and though he was eager to see her, doubt also clouded his mind. He was going to have to explain the brooch, which shouldn't be difficult--it was a good outcome, after all--although the fortune he'd benefitted from would likely have seemed strange or dishonest. He was grappling with these thoughts as he finally entered the hall, and from the table Tabitha practically leapt from her seat to see him again. Many of his worries washed away as he saw her again.

"Yes, I am," he responded. "And I've brought all the herbs you need: the chamomile, devil's claw, meadowsweet, and dandelion. This will heal Rosemary, right?"

He'd kept approaching her, ending up slightly too close to her now. He could make out some of her closer features, his eyes meeting hers and that feeling in his stomach swelling up again. He wasn't so ignorant or inexperienced that he couldn't tell what the feeling was, of course; rather, the conflict was in whether or not he could act on them. Either way, seeing her so excited to see him warmed his chilly bones from the long day of travelling, and he was just as excited to see her again as he was for his horse to get the treatment she needed.

"And... did you rest while I was away?" he added. "It wouldn't do if you got sick while tending her..."

• Ctuhlu senpai
Reactions: Tabitha Pamona
They were close, too close for what was proper. Still, she looked at him, her eyes shining with happiness to see him. All thoughts of the brooch were out of her head, that was an old chapter tightly closed. Llewen was the start of a new chapter. Llewen and his estate, she silently admonished herself.

Still, being this close to him again made her breath hitch, made butterflies dance in her stomach. She stifled it, though she did not want to. "They will turn the tide for our noble palfrey, Milord." Her voice was still soft as she gazed up at him. "Thank you for getting the herbs, I know it was a long ride."

She pulled her eyes reluctantly from him, her fingers fidgeting with the thread of her shirt. She laughed quietly at his next question, turning her head to gesture at Landis. "My nurse maid made sure of it, don't worry."

She stepped away and motioned for him to come sit. She spooned some stew into a bowl and placed it at the table. "Here, eat, rest. I'll go take care of Rosemary, eat some stew and go rest your bones in a hot bath..Milord."

Llewen Merrick

• Cthuulove
He watched as she left, feeling strangely cold as she did so, then raised his eyebrow at her suggestion. He was so transfixed on her eyes that he didn't notice her fidgeting like he normally did, and as always her kindness was comforting. He almost gave in to her suggestion, but remembered his task. Plus, he still had to give the brooch back...

"Milady, if it is no trouble I wish to accompany you while you treat Rosemary; I wish to learn how this process is done, should you take ill again. I can rest later, or on the morrow."

It was true; while these were difficult rides, he also was used to them, as he was both young and athletic, trained in the ways of war as a child, though he never completed his formal training.

"Also, should my horse ever get sick on campaign, it would be useful knowledge to have."

He thought about it. Would she actually prevent him from helping her, or at least watching her treat his palfrey? He wasn't really in a position to negotiate, he realized; if she refused help because she didn't want him there, Rosemary would be in serious trouble. As she was his mother's horse, it would be worse in more ways than just the practical loss of a knight losing his horse.

He seemed to hesitate for a moment as she offered him rest and comfort. She tilted her head at him, questioning him with her eyes. She didn't have to wait long for him to speak his mind, he was usually to the point when he had something to say.

"Of course it's no trouble Milord. It's good for any man that owns a horse to know. I had assumed you would want to rest after your journey, but I'd be more than happy to oblige you."

She gave him a soft smile and came back around to stand before him. "I just need to grab a mortar and pestle from the kitchen. Oh! The honey as well. If you want, you can wait for me here, or at the stables."

Tabitha quietly hoped he would decide neither and walk with her instead. She could never voice such a thing, but she wanted to be in his presence as much as she could. There was a lightness and warmth that being around him brought her.

Llewen Merrick

He was relieved that she would let him learn the art of healing, and his shoulders seemed to drop visibly from that relief. It was true that he wanted to learn, but this might also be a good chance to give back her brooch. And maybe... Maybe he'd ask her about that rising feeling in his gut he was getting every time he was around her. Or, maybe not. Still, it was a distracting feeling, to say the least...

"I'll... just go with you to the kitchen," he said. "I didn't know we had honey. I'm curious now what foodstuffs Landis has procured, actually... I think I could use a bite."

He started heading towards the kitchen, perhaps even walking ahead of her. Surely they had something he could munch on quickly, right? Something that wasn't rations, or Landis' stew?...

Gods, we need a real cook, he thought. In a moment, he arrived in the kitchen and began looking through the various stocks of food, trying to find something to eat...

The made it to the kitchen easily and quickly enough. Tabitha began looking for her supplies. "It's only a little honey, but it'll be enough for what I need it for." She grabbed the mortar and pestle, setting it down gently.

She laughed softly as Llewen began searching for something to nibble on. "Stew sounds pretty good now, huh?" She teased him a little, hoping he didn't take it too personally. She watched him forage for a minute and pulled the jar of honey out from it's hiding spot. "You aren't gonna find the best treats that way."

She dug behind some items and pulled out an apple and a rind of cheese. "Here." She tossed it to him delicately and grinned. "Yummy stuff gets hidden away by the mice of the castle." she grabbed the items carefully in her arms and made for the door.

She hoped Llewen was quick to follow, she had a mission ahead of her now, and she wouldn't tarry. She slid out into the dark and cold, making a beeline for the stables.

Llewen Merrick

• Bless
"You've got a point there," Llewen said, catching the food Tabitha tossed him. It was the sort of thing they needed maids for, to be certain--a structure like this castle wasn't meant to be maintained by a knight, his steward, and somebody else with another job. He didn't have much time to muse on this, however, as he found himself quickly following Tabitha to the stables, trying to eat and run at the same time but only finding partial success.

Yeah, should've eaten the stew. Dammit.

Still, they made it to the stables without issue, where Llewen was close behind Tabitha as she closed in on Rosemary's stall. The stench of even two horses was somewhat potent, enough to make Llewen, hungry as he was, ready to toss his food, or at least wait until they were back in the castle again. Still, this was a skill he wanted to learn so that he could take care of Rosemary when he couldn't have Tabitha around.

"I uh... I'm at your service, Tabby," he said, reluctant about using her name, but less so now that the two were alone. She seemed so focused to him that he couldn't help but admire her, and his eyes followed her every move.

Tabitha was all business now, though she was absolutely aware of Llewen's presence. She pushed down the feeling in her gut, the one that had started to appear every time he came close to her these days. She mentally shook the thought from her mind. She needed to focus. Though, him using her name, was not lost, and gave her a sense of happiness.

She set down her tools and the honey on a bench that also housed a pitcher of water. "So, the honey isn't a necessary item. It's merely to mix with the herbs to make it more pleasant for the horse to eat, and more likely for them to accept the treatment. If you don't have it if and when there is a next time, that is okay."

She turned to Llewen expectantly, he had yet to hand her the necessary herbs after all. She hoped he had them on his person at least. "I'll show you how to prepare the herbs now." She held out her hand to receive them, urgency filling her grey eyes.

Llewen Merrick

• Bless
Llewen paid close attention as she spoke about about the various medicines. He found the bit about the honey interesting; perhaps some things needed to be concealed for the betterment of the one that needed healed... Or, perhaps horses were stubborn animals that wouldn't comply otherwise. Rosemary was compliant enough, but others? Well, Llewen had heard horses had a nasty kick...

He'd completely forgotten that they were still in his pack, so embarrassed he quickly gave Tabitha the pouch containing the herbs he'd procured from the apothecary. He was still counting his fortunes about the whole thing, but now was the time to watch and learn, and he could explain what happened later. He could see she was working quickly, and he tried to match her tempo.

• Dab
Tabitha gratefully took the satchel from Llewen, giving him a quick smile as she grabbed it from him. She took the contents out delicately and placed each herb in its own spot, nodding approvingly.

"This is perfect, thank you." She took the chamomile first, stripping the flowers from the plant. "For chamomile, it's the flowers you want. It works as a sedative." She put in the bowl and reached for the dandelion next. She pulled the leaves and the stem from the flower and put that in as well.

"Dandelion helps regulate the blood, gives a big boost in healing." Next the devil's claw, she put the whole plant in this time. "Devil's claw for pain and any swelling there might be." Last, she grabbed the meadowsweet. The whole plant again went in. "This is also for pain, but it also protects the stomach."

She used ground the plants up and began to add a little water to make a paste. She then added some honey and took the bowl and headed for Rosemary's stall. "Any questions so far?"

Llewen Merrick

Llewen took note of each individual step as they were performed and attempted to remember, not interrupting for fear of breaking her concentration. She seemed so skillful to him, her delicate hands working quickly and precisely with the herbs before placing them into the bowl. The knowledge, and the skill--Llewen was impressed. It would seem he had made a good decision for the estate.

He rolled on his heels.

"No, no questions. Please, continue."

He figured all that was left at this point was for Rosemary to actually eat the combination, but he was patient and waited all the same. He wondered how he was going to tell her about the brooch; maybe it wasn't so big a deal. Also, he wondered if he should learn more about medicines for people, too. With the abundance of local herbs available, perhaps they could sell them, or perhaps they could get an apothecary of their own... His head was spinning with new ideas now. For now though, he continued to watch Tabitha.

Tabitha nodded to herself as he answered her question. She slid into the stall quietly and beckoned for him to follow her. She sank to the ground, crossing her legs and putting the reluctant mare's head in her lap.

She started by offering the paste to the mare, allowing her to attempt to eat on her own. It was refused and she sighed. "I'm gonna need you to hold her head still so I can force her take it. It's not going to be fun, or pretty. I promise it's for her benefit though."

She looked up at Llewen sadly. She didn't want to have to do it this way, but the palfrey was too ill to want to eat on her own. It was necessary, but it still hurt her delicate heart. "I'm sorry Rosemary, I promise I'm jusy trying to help" She gave the mare a pat on the cheek and kiss on the nose. "I might get bit over this, but that's okay. I can't blame her."

Llewen Merrick

Llewen wasted no time in doing what he was told. He knew time was already of the essence with treating the poor palfrey, and he was glad to be of some service other than simply standing and watching. He moved into the stall and got behind Rosemary, gently stroking her before holding her head in place.

"My mother used to sing to her.. I wonder if that would help," he said.

His voice was a bit rough, but was soft in an attempt to calm the nervous mare.

When wind blows through fickle pine
and sky is grey and heavy
please, carry me as we ride
and say you'll be mine, say you'll be mine

He did this as Tabitha administered the medicine, hoping Rosemary would stay calm long enough that Tabitha could get the work done. His eye contact shifted between the horse and Tabitha, watching for any sign he would need to get more forceful to keep her head still.

Tabitha waited until he was settled, smiling softly as he stroked her before grasping her head gently. Tabitha nodded to him, another sigh escaping her lips. "She's not gonna like it, so you'll have to hold her firmly, because she will try to toss her head."

She scooped out the mixture with her bare hand, and worked at prying the mare's mouth open. After much grunting and fighting, she managed to get Rosemary to relent and she force-fed the concoction to the sickly palfrey.

In the struggle, she did end up with a nasty bruise from an angry nip. Despite the tears, she finished her job, pulling her hand free from Rosemary's mouth. She gave the mare a loving pet and looked up at Llewen as she nodded that he could let her go. "We won't see results immediately, but I can almost bet that she'll be standing by tomorrow afternoon."

She cluched her bruised wrist as she slid away from Rosemary before standing. She was filthy again, and exhausted. She looked to Llewen and gave him a wane smile. "Now how about that stew? Milord?"

Llewen Merrick

• Bless
Llewen watched with a mixture of concern and wonder as Tabitha scooped up the medicine and basically fed her hand to the mare, wincing as Tabitha took a healthy bite from the palfrey, the bruise visible on her otherwise seemingly dainty hands. He tried his best to hold Rosemary still, but once the medicine was down, she shook her head and even Llewen's most determined grasp wasn't enough to hold on, so he finally let go. He listened to her assessment of Rosemary's condition, but went to Tabitha's side.

"Are you sure you're alright from that?" Llewen asked, examining her wrist. "Surely we should at least fetch a bandage for you? You're in no condition to be getting wounds like that..." he said, looking sheepishly at his own wrist where the wolf had struck. "Then maybe we can worry about stew."

He didn't quite understand why he was so concerned for her. Maybe it was just because she had come so close to death before, but he was almost begging her to take care of herself after this when it really was in all likelihood a fairly minor injury. It was like Llewen to overcompensate, though...

• Cry
Tabitha was quietly happy that Llewen had come around to check on her. He was always so worried about her health, and it endeared him to her. She did take a better look, even as he examined it. She winced slightly and grimaced at him.

"It hurts, I won't lie about that at least." She resisted the urge to reach out to him, his worry making her want to reassure him. "I think I'll be alright, a bandage wouldn't hurt where she scraped the skin." She looked up at him, her head turning just slightly as she studied him. She could feel his closeness, and she pulled away slightly as her stomach began to do those flips again.

She gave him one last searching look before stepping away completely and out of the stall. She waited for him to walk with her back to the castle, welcoming the warmth as they stepped inside. "We should wash up, and then you can wrap my hand. While I like horses, I don't really care to smell like one."

Llewen Merrick

He felt strangely reluctant at the notion that she could be okay after something that looked quite so painful as being bitten by a horse (again, strategically disregarding his own wolf bite), even once she agreed that they probably both needed to bathe and then apply a bandage. He motioned to reach for her, although he wasn't sure what he was even reaching for, then stopped himself. As she pulled away slightly, he wondered if he'd offended her somehow.

"Okay, that seems fair," he said, his normal pretense slipping away beneath his concern. He walked with her back to the castle, keeping close as if to somehow shield her from her own injury. He felt quite silly, actually, but couldn't help himself either. "Can you draw up the bath like that? Do you need my aid, Tabitha? Or shall I wait for your return in the great hall?"

It was very late, and Llewen felt some exhaustion creeping in. But he was very concerned for Tabitha's well-being, and that overrided his lack of energy.

• Cry
Tabitha had been acutely aware of how close Llewen kept to her the whole walk back. She wanted him close, there was a comfort in it. She wanted to reach out to him, press close to him. She shook her head, trying to shake the notion. Llewen would never let her get that close, would he?

His voice held concern in it, and she plucked at the thread of her coat. He was offering to help her with the bath, her hand was swollen and it would not be easy for her. She turned to him, desperately wanting to ask for his help. Still, the negative part of her climbed out of its pit, telling her it was never going to happen. Llewen would never go for her.

"I think I can handle it, I'll meet you back here when I'm finished." She smiled, though it did not quite reach her eyes. "Thank you, for your help with Rosemary. I would have suffered more without you."

With that, she turned to go clean up. A task that would take twice the time, and ten times the pain. Still she managed, Llewen on her mind the entire time.

Llewen Merrick

• Cry
Even Llewen, as inexperience as he was, could see that Tabitha was practically pleading for him to help her--yet her words didn't match her body language, and it left Llewen feeling confused and a little embarrassed. Still, even as she was starting to pull away again, he offered.

"Wait, Tabby, please, it's no trouble--"

She was walking away. Perhaps she hadn't heard him, or perhaps there was more going on than what Llewen realized. It wasn't a clear situation, to say the least, but once she was fully gone to the bath, he resigned with a heavy sigh and returned to the great hall, grabbing himself some stew and sitting down. His thoughts turned to Tabitha, forming a mental picture of him helping her as the bath grew warm and steamy. He'd help her with her hand so she could get into the bath, and she'd... take off her clothes...

Llewen's face grew unbelievably red. He tried to hide it by eating stew, but it was no use. His mind had wandered somewhere and it was unlikely to come back anytime soon.

What if she needs help?

Against all conventional logic, he got up from the table and headed towards the bath. It hadn't been too long--perhaps he could still help her before she was ready, and... there wasn't really a way of denying it: it was a terrible idea, yet his gut was telling him to do it all the same. He finally arrived at the bathroom, and called in.

"Tabitha, I was worried, do you still need help?"

He'd learned from his last encounter, at least, and didn't just barge in, but still, this was probably too much and he knew it.

• Stressed
Tabitha wanted to turn around when she heard him try to stop her, instead she pretended she did not hear the pleading in his voice. The one that wanted to take care of her. It was incredibly hard for her to do, and she stopped herself from turning and running back to him.

She held strong, making it to the bath without turning once. She attempted to draw the bath, her swollen hand proving to make things incredibly difficult. She had already undressed, her clothes to disgusting for her to wear and instant longer.

She paused, turning at the sound of Llewen's voice. She felt a flurry of emotion in an instant. The ache to have him help, the embarrassment needing him help. A blush crept across her cheeks as she imagined some not so wholesome situations with Llewen, quickly shaking herself out of them as he was still waiting for a reply.

Tabitha grabbed a towel and wrapped it about her as she went to the door. She opened it a crack and peered out, her grey eyes meeting his. The blush deepened as she opened the door a bit more. "I hate to admit it, but I could use some help."

She pulled the door open enough for him to enter, standing awkwardly before him in just a towel. He would be able to see her poor attempts at stoking the fire and filling the basin. She bit her lip as she looked at the floor, avoiding any possible direct eye contact.

Llewen Merrick

• Ctuhlu senpai