Private Tales Raindrops on Roses

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
The moment between his question and her response was far too long for Llewen's liking; he may have gravely offended her, but perhaps something had happened? He tapped his foot with nervous impatience, wondering if it was worth the risk to barge in and potentially save her life, but the risk was that he'd walk in on Tabitha, perhaps permanently ruining their relationship...

Finally the door cracked and his face flushed as he saw the bits of towel and parts of her face. Her form seemed somehow even smaller now that she was almost exposed, and his concern for her was renewed. He looked over and saw that she had attempted to do some of the necessary steps to getting the bath ready, but hadn't quite gotten there yet. He nodded.

"Yes, I can... I can help, however you need, milady. I can start by preparing... the bath for you."

He was positively tripping over his words, but who wouldn't? Still, once she'd given him the okay he'd head into the room, finishing what she'd started and drawing enough water that she could hopefully bathe. He turned back to her, blushing as he knew he was seeing more of her than he was supposed to, or that she maybe wanted him to see.

"Is there anything else, Tabby?" His voice was soft with both concern and embarrassment. "Or... shall I take my leave?"

• Ctuhlu senpai
Reactions: Tabitha Pamona
Tabitha stood awkwardly as Llewen walked into the room. She clutched her towel tightly, he had already seen her once and the memory made her blush anew. If she hadn't needed his help, she definitely wouldn't have invited him in. There were issues with a young woman being alone in the bath with a young man. Thankfully there were not enough people in the castle to notice such a thing. Well, except maybe Landis.

He was tripping over her words, and she was beat red. The two made quite a pair, as they both tried to ignore the awkwardness of it. "Thank you, I should have asked for help in the first place..I appreciate you checking on me."

He was dropping pretense, which made it easy for her to do the same. She blushed deeper, if that was possible as he used her nickname. She tried to ignore the feelings brewing, but in this situation they were rampant. "If you wouldn't mind waiting for me to wash, I might um, need help with my hair when I'm done." She stumbled over her own words, unable to fidget because of the towel she wore.

Luckily there was a screen he could wait behind. At least she hoped he would, though she wasn't sure how to broach the subject. After all, she was still learning how he acted as a lord. She had faith he would treat her in an appropriate manner, but one could never know.

Llewen Merrick

• Ctuhlu senpai
Reactions: Llewen Merrick
He paused for a moment, his voice growing softer.

"It's okay, I... know asking for help is difficult sometimes." There was a sudden solemnity to his words. It wouldn't last, though, and before long he was blushing again alongside her, which only grew deeper when she mentioned she might need help washing her hair. Llewen's face was practically steaming at this point.

"If... milady needs help, I will offer it..."

He looked at her directly for just a moment, his eyes catching hers before he scurried over to the screen, immediately clutching his face as if it might help dissipate some of the embarrassment. When he was younger, he had bathed with some of the peasant girls when he was spending more time with his subject families, but that was a long time ago and this was something different entirely. He didn't want to be indecent, but the thought of her being in the bath was... a bit overwhelming.

"Let me know when you need me, Tabitha," he said sheepishly. He thought of peeking, but that was only due to the situation, and he'd never act on it...

• Ctuhlu senpai
Tabitha was regretting asking Llewen for help even now. They definitely needed more maids in the castle, this was almost too awkward to bare. Still she smiled gratefully even as both their faces where beet red over the thought. "Thank you Llewen." Her voice was quiet, choked.

Soon enough he scrambled for the screen and she sighed. She cast one look in his dire, just to make sure he wasn't looking. She dropped her towel and stepped into the water with a soft sigh. Normally she would luxuriate, but not with him waiting.

She scrubbed as quickly and vigorously as she could, even though one hand was not much help at all. Once finished, she slipped out of the tub. She kept her eyes on the screen, worried about peeking. She dried off and slipped on her linen nightgown. "Okay, I'm ready." She waited sheepish and fidgeting as usual.

Llewen Merrick

• Ctuhlu senpai
Behind the screen Llewen pondered the nature of this interaction between them as he listened to the sounds of her scrubbing and washing, and thought upon how similar it sounded to when he would bathe. He could see her silhouette through the screen, though he would not look for more than a moment at a time except to sate his curiosity. Here within these castle walls, it seemed even still the people here could be so vulnerable. It was a feeling he was used to, and perhaps it was even a comforting one, although he was still more than a little embarrassed that he was alone with a naked young woman who must be around his age.

The thought of her noble house bursting through the door right now was also enough to quiet his more forward thoughts, of course...

Finally, she asked him for his aid again, and with reluctance he left the screen, averting his eyes until he was close enough to the tub to help wash her hair. He got close, but stopped with some apprehension.

"I... must confess, Tabby, I've not washed anyone's hair but my own..."

His hands felt suddenly large and clumsy, and he was feeling strangely anxious about so simple a task...

Tabitha stood awkwardly in her nightgown, waiting for Llewen to appear from behind the screen. She had of course had plenty of maids to wash her, and dress her, and comb her hair. This was not proper, and they both knew it. Still, he was so sweet for helping her that it almost made her forget such things.

Llewen was hesitant when he came around, not quite looking at her. "You can look, I'm clothed." She grabbed a pitcher and brought it to the side of the tub, and then grabbed the soap as well. "It doesn't have to be perfect, just enough to get bits of straw and the smell of horse out. I'll lean over the tub, and you can use the pitcher to wet and rinse my hair. If it's too much, I can survive without it." That thought did not sit well with her, but she hated making him uncomfortable.

Llewen Merrick

He had to admit, he was quite relieved when he finally looked up and saw that she was clothed; he really had thrown himself into one of the most conceivably awkward situations his young mind could conjure, and for what reason, really? He was questioning why he was even really here in the first place; why did he care so damn much for this girl he'd just met, who was supposed to be serving him, not the other way around?... It was a weird and sudden frustration that had his mind somewhat disarrayed, yet when he looked at her, that frustration softened, and he was able to focus again.

"I... I think I can handle it, Tabby," he said, with some caution still, but his voice now calmer. He made his way to her, wetting his hands in the bath and nodding as he waited for her.

"Ready?" he asked. He'd then start, letting Tabitha wet her hair before he would apply the soap, gingerly getting the bits of straw and debris out, gently massaging her hair with his soapy hands. He looked at her face for a moment.

"It's alright, this won't take long... Hey, Tabitha? Do you think I'll be a good lord once I'm.. you know, a proper one with lots of subjects and people counting on me? I worry..."

• Cry
Tabitha felt their bond grow closer still. She was figuring out her feelings, and his soft voice and tender touch solidified them. Even if nothing ever came of it, she would hold those feelings in her heart as long as he was near.

She sat in place as he acknowledged he was ready to assist. His hands gently working at her hair. She could feel that blush creep across her cheeks again. She couldn't help but focus on the soft touch of his hands, his handsome face..no she couldn't think about that in a time like this. Not when he was this close.

She smiled softly as he questioned her on what she thought he would become. It was a very intimate line of questioning, and one she took seriously. "I think you're a good lord already. When you have more subjects and more to your name, I know you're going to go to the ends of the earth to take care of them. I have no doubt about that..Llewen."

Llewen Merrick

• Cthuulove
He continued gently massaging her hair, not sure how long he was supposed to do this for, figuring she would tell him when enough was enough. He continued finding bits of debris in her hair, still tenderly removing them so as to not pull too hard at the scalp.

"Thank you, Tabitha. As always, your words are kind... I wonder what my parents would think of me now," he said. "If they'd known I was washing the hair of my maid and horse-woman, knowing I had no other servants to perform one of these most mundane of tasks... Knights are supposed to do brave deeds and fight gallantly in open combat, are they not? Yet here I am, a resident farmer, taxman, and now, a maid to a maid..."

He laughed, although there was some shame in it.

"My mother used to wash me like this. I suppose that my recollection of her technique will have to do for your pretty head!"

His voice was more playful now, and he felt encouraged, as he usually did when he spent time with her. Still, perhaps he was getting carried away...

It felt so nice, having him rid her hairball scalp of debris and dirt. She could have let him do it for hours. His touch was gentle and attentive. She knew this was too close, too personal. Still, she wasn't sorry. She was selfishly enjoying every second.

He wasn't asking her opinion when he spoke, more so laughing at the absurdity of his situation. "If it's worth anything, at least you care enough to help someone such as me. You're a good soul, I hope you never lose that about yourself."

She smiled and laughed softly as he spoke of his mother, the lightness of his tone filling her with happiness. If she were bold enough, she'd have been tempted to kiss him in this moment. Instead she reached up to still his hand with hers. "You can rinse now..please."

Llewen Merrick

"Well then," Llewen said in response. "I shall always strive to be worthy of your praise, milady, for with such a subject I suppose any man in my position would consider himself lucky..." She couldn't see, but he was bearing a great grin.

It seemed she knew as soon as he did that her hair must have been done, for she spoke right as Llewen swore he plucked out the last little bit of debris, an almost unnatural moment of synchronization. Maybe he'd made her uncomfortable, and she had been counting the moments. Perhaps she was only being kind and didn't quite mean what she said, but he wanted to believe her...

"Oh, I'm sorry," Llewen said, releasing his grip on her hair and rinsing his hands off in the water. He then sheepishly rinsed her hair out as well, pausing once he was finished to get one long look at the finished product. He then stammered, "Oh, I should probably be going then..."

• Bless
Tabitha smiled at his response, he was so sweet. She hoped knighthood didn't take that from him, she liked Llewen the way he was. "I only speak from what I see and what I know Milord." She was worried he'd get upset if she kept falling into an informal way of addressing him, but it pained her in such an intimate exchange.

The water felt nice as it poured over her hair, glistening red hair slick with soap and water. She sighed softly, and then blushed remembering herself. Once he finished, she strained her hair in the tub with her good hand and let it fall to her back. It was long, and curls were already coming back into their shape.

She laughed softly at his comment and smiled, her grey eyes meeting his for just a moment. "Thank you again, I appreciate it from the depths of my heart. You've done so many things for me over the past few days." She offered another smile and gestured at the door. "Go eat, get cleaned up. I've taken enough of your time today."

Llewen Merrick

• Bless
Llewen was taken aback by her luscious curls and their appearance that was only improving with time after he'd rinsed them. It was a good feeling, being showered with compliments by someone so beautiful his age; it was all the qualities one might want in, well... His thoughts trailed off. It was still far too early to be thinking of such things, especially with the potential threat Tabitha still posed to him and all the work he still had to do... It wouldn't do to be the target of some other noble house, not if Tabitha gave them a just claim to attack, such that even Princess Helia couldn't save him anymore. Still, the feeling lingered, and he remembered that to him, she was still just a maid, and the master of their horses...

"I could eat, but I think I'd like to wash first, and there's no sense wasting warm water," he said, eyeing the bath. "So for that, you'd have to go, unless you'd like to stay... I don't think I shall need help washing, though, but I appreciate your company, Tabitha..."

He gave himself away at times, especially with how much he was using her name. For a noble, it wasn't proper, but she was just a serving girl to him, and needn't owe her such courtesy... He couldn't deny that there was a little mischief in his voice this time, though, although he found himself red in the face saying it.

• Ctuhlu senpai
There was a pause, her last words still hanging in the air. She didn't want him to leave, and she did not yet want to retire. She brushed a ringlet from her cheek as Llewen still stood before it. It would only take a second to close that gap..as much as she wanted to, she couldn't bring herself to do it. He already made it clear he was her maid, and her horse person. He called her friend, but still she had to keep her distance.

Her face turned crimson as he finally spoke. He obviously felt embarrassed already by saying it. It was as if her were reading her mind. She wanted his company, and it was nice to know he wanted hers. She briefly pondered what he meant by company, but convinced herself he meant it innocently enough. Even is she could hear the mischief in his voice. "If it's my company you desire, Milord..you shall have it." She peered at him and smiled softly. "I'll go wait behind the screen until you are finished."

Llewen Merrick

He nodded. "Thank you Tabitha, I would appreciate that..."

He waited for her to go, then started undressing. It was a good thing the bath was warm, because the air around them was a bit too chilly for his taste even this far insulated within the castle walls. Without further ado he slipped into the bath, carefully finding a good way to lounge in the warm water.

"Oh, dammit," he said aloud. He'd forgotten to take off his bandages, and frantically started doing so, tossing them aside when he had. The wound was healing, but was still far too fresh after only a few days for comfort, and he looked at the wolf bite with a great amount of apprehension. Still, the water was warm and nice, and he leaned his head back and closed his eyes for a moment as he felt a wave of relief hit him.

He knew Tabitha was still there, but she was too far away for conversation, in his mind...

"Tabby, could you come a little closer so we can speak? Perhaps you could sit on the stool, facing away...?"

It was an earnest request he hadn't thought much of. His mind was starting to wander to things other than his adolescent embarrassment, and he ran his hand over his face. He wanted to ask her about her lineage, to get rid of this facade, and make things more even between them, but that was her secret, and he couldn't intrude, even in a private moment like this... so he'd have to ask something else instead, though he had no idea what...

• Cthuulove
There was privacy in terms of sight, but every move he made was obvious in the quiet room. From the quiet slip of clothing to the ripple of the water as he entered the tub. It was little mystery of what he was doing. She would never admit it, but her curiosity made her mind wander to more flavorful thoughts.

She was interrupted by his exclamation as a worried look crossed her face. Still, he did not ask for assistance and she did not offer. He spoke her name, no not just her name. She smiled softly to herself as she responded. "I'd be happy to, one second!" She stood, and the scraping of the stool on stone could be heard. She carried it around awkwardly to adjust for her hand. She couldn't help but spare a glance as she got situated.

He was lounging, and she didn't see anything that was improper. Still, her blush returned anew. She settled, her face to the door. "When do you go to train as a paladin? Will you be gone long?"

Llewen Merrick

By the time she had gotten close, Llewen was started to lean into the relaxation, letting the warm water work its magic on him. He could scrub himself clean quickly, but he saw no reason to rush in his own castle, even as late as it was; he might even fall asleep in here, should time allow, with the heat of the water being so very comforting. Still, Tabitha was here... but her question took him somewhat by surprise.

"I... know not," he admitted. "I suppose I should leave on the morrow... I should only be gone for a few days, as well, so I will still be returning regularly; after all, the title is more honorary than anything else..." He sighed deeply. "Yet that is one more thing I fear for, for I am no warrior, yet Her Highness expects it of me on top of all my other duties..."

He sunk into the water a little bit more. He didn't realize how much of a fantasy being with Tabitha was until he'd considered that after tonight, things would go back to normal and the two of them would have much sparser conversations. The thought was enough to make him frown.

"I shall miss your company while I am in the town; I hope you shan't worry too much for me in the interim, for I intend to return. I know, strange for a lord to be worried about his maid and her presence, but... I do not know that I have connected with anyone quite so much as you, Tabitha. It is hard to feel alone when you are around."

It was improper for a lord, but then, Llewen had always been bad at etiquette. Then again, perhaps that was only an issue when he was speaking to the princess, not to fraudulent maids.

• Ctuhlu senpai
Tabitha say, running her fingers through her curls, working out the tangles as she listened to naught but his breathing as he relaxed. He answered her, and she frowned. She didn't like what he was saying, she didn't want him to leave for any amount of time.

"You'd leave so soon?" She couldn't help the sad intonation of the question. He breathed life to the castle without him there, it would be quiet grey stone to keep her company. She was being selfish in her thoughts, but his next comments solidified the feeling.

"Of course I'll worry, how could I not?" She bit her her lip, she was floundering. There were so many things she wanted to say, but she could not for fear of losing him in this manner. "I will be sad while you are away. You light up a room eventide you enter. I shall miss that, and these quiet conversations." She was being to forward. She was nothing to him but a maid, unless she told him the truth. She wasn't ready, not for that.

Llewen Merrick

• Bless
"You'd leave so soon?"
"It isn't as if I have a choice," he said, hastily, perhaps with more frustration than he realized. "Princess Helia requires it of me--it is the only way I can keep my estate, and, as you know now, a bed for you to lay your head..."

What was he saying? He was doing this for his family's name, the completely forgettable name of Merrick, only recently born, and so soon, ready to burn out like the flickering flame of a candle...

He wondered if all his subjects would be so kind to him. No, he supposed not. Tabitha must be different. That longing feeling returned, and he wanted to be closer to her somehow, though it seemed the distance between them was too vast. Upon her finishing her thoughts, he slowly turned, the water displacing around him as his eyes half met the back of her head. Perhaps she didn't even know he was looking. But her words were sweet like strawberries to his taste, and that feeling in his chest and stomach only grew.

"Well.. Milady needn't worry long. The training will not be done all at once, so I should only be gone a few days at a time... Besides, the skills I will receive will help me better protect Castle Merrick, and my title... Surely that is worth the inconvenience, milady? Not that you have any say, of course..."

It seemed like he was trying to convince himself of this, but his words sounded a bit hollow to her. Still, she listened quietly and held her tongue. He was likely not looking forward to this either, and she'd have to remember that. "I understand the why of it, though that doesn't mean I have to like it." She was maybe revealing too much with that, but it was true.

She wanted nothing more than to spend more time with him, really get to know the real Llewen. Not the man that hid behind etiquette and proper speech. They were in a weird place, both of them. Neither one knew how to act around the other. They wanted familiarity, but pulled away at the same time.

She could hear the water as he moved, but she was unaware of his gaze. It was his next words that made her feel like she had been blasted with cold air, his words cold and hurtful. Her shoulders slumped and she hugged her knees as if to protect herself from it. "You are of course, right Milord." She was foolish, stupid even. He would never let her forget her place, even if it wasn't the truth.

Llewen Merrick

He was still looking at her, for just a moment longer.

"Even if you have no say, I still appreciate it," he said. "I have never had someone say they would be saddened at our parting, even my parents. It is not a sentiment I am used to. I hope you will forgive my caution, though my heart wishes to accept it freely."

He turned back around in the tub, relaxing in position again. His wounded arm touched the water again, reminding him of the injury he'd sustained protecting her.

"Damn, still stings," he said.

He'd heard rumors while he was at court, of course, about young lords and ladies falling for each other in very short amounts of time. Llewen wasn't certain of the validity of that; his heart wasn't so quick to trust, especially not with someone who wasn't being honest with him. He could confront her about it, but again, he might scare her off and she did know how to heal a horse, a very useful skill to have indeed for a knight... Still, he couldn't shake the wariness from his mood.

"I must confess, Tabitha, I have been hiding something from you..." he said, sighing. "I've never been alone with a girl before. Especially not a maid. Do you think Landis will have my hide for this?"

Tabitha had felt devastated by his words, she had no idea he had probably seen her reaction to them. Still when he spoke again, she did perk up a little. It seemed he was trying to meet her in the middle, at least a little bit. "I hope it's a sentiment you come to know. It's always nice to feel like you're missed."

She sat upon the stool and hummed softly, sailor songs her father would have yelled at her for. At his exclamation she turned her head slightly."Is the bite healing okay? Do you need me to look at it?" Deep concern laced her voice as she questioned him.

Still it seemed her concern was for naught. She tilted her head as he mentioned hiding something. She burst out laughing, and covered her mouth at the sound of it. "I think he'd have both our hides if he knew. He's a real nursemaid that one."

Llewen Merrick

He was talking too swiftly for her, it seemed, so rapid were his thoughts and his need to speak them. Still, it seemed she was still cordial enough with him, judging by her laughter, so he simply continued. He rewound the conversation slightly, going back to her previous question.

"Well... I suppose it couldn't hurt. Yes, could you come take a look at my forearm? Perhaps you know more of wounds than I do and can see what I can't."

He thought nothing of the question, but then, there were many things Llewen didn't think of. If she actually approached him now, however, he would realize his error but it would be far too late by then...

Tabitha turned her head slightly as he acknowledged her concerns about his arm. She was worried, she hadn't seen it since it happened. Infection could make him lose his whole arm.

At his invitation she stood, hesitating briefly. "Alright, I'll take a look." She stepped over to the tub, realizing quickly the predicament she had put herself in. As she got close, she could see everything. she averted her gaze as she knelt at the edge of the tub. He concern ooutweighed the awkwardness of seeing way more than either had intended.

She took his arm gingerly with her good hand. She looked at him briefly, trying to ascertain what he was thinking. She then bent to her task, her brows furrowed. Even as the blush remained on her cheeks. It was almost hard not to stare at him, and she found herself wanting to sate her curiosity.

Llewen Merrick

• Ctuhlu senpai
He of course realized his mistake as Tabitha got precariously close to him, his face like a tomato as she neared and began eyeing his wounded arm--at least that's what he presumed she was eyeing. He offered his arm to her as she took it, staying still despite the strange feeling that was burning in his chest and stomach now.

"Well..." he asked, "Is it alright? Is it healing well?" He looked into her eyes, expectant. It had been a strange question, hadn't it? What would someone like her know about wounds? She wasn't a doctor, but then she had healed his palfrey... Her hands felt strangely chilly against his bare arm, and his eyes began to shift between not only her face and hands, but wandered to her other features as well. There was no doubt that it was an unintended intimacy to this moment, despite the horrific scarring on his arm that she was looking at, though he wondered if she also felt the same level of distraction...

• Ctuhlu senpai