Private Tales Raindrops on Roses

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Character Biography
Link
Tabitha was cold, no that was an understatement. Tabitha was freezing.most of her clothing was threadbare at this point, the soles of her shoes were wearing thin. She had patched and repatched, but they would only last so much longer.

She had spent the day meandering the streets of the city. She begged for coin, she begged for work. No one seemed to care or take notice. So now she found herself aimlessly wandering the market.

Tabitha caught herself drifting from stall to stall, the smells of meats and sweets making her mouth water and her belly grumble. She ached to fill her stomach with the richness she used to indulge in. She pictured herself in the clothes and the fine jewelry.

Finally she pulled herself from the intoxicating aromas and finer things and made her way to the entrance of an alley, sliding herself down the wall. She tried to remain hopeful, but it was starting to fade.

Llewen Merrick

Last edited:
Llewen made his way down the city streets of Mardus atop his brown Palfrey, Rosemary, lazily hanging onto the reigns as she walked, her hooves rhythmically clicking on the cobbled street. The cold Mardanian sun shone on his rusted chain shirt and his stained tabard with the symbol of House Merrick, a white griffin on a green background. He was here to buy some supplies for his farmers and workers: sewing needles, hammers and nails, other small domestic items that were essential for running a farming operation. He was here because he had no one else to send; Landis, his only true knightly retainer with a horse, was too important to leave the estate, as much as Landis might protest and want to be Llewen's personal bodyguard at every waking hour. He kept one pouch of gold in a pouch on his waist, and the other hidden in his horse's saddlebags.

It happened so suddenly that he didn't have time to think or react. 3 thugs rushed him and quickly pulled him off his horse, Rosemary whinnying and bucking around at the sudden commotion. The men dragged him into a corner and started punching him, his rusty armor absorbing many hits but some landing directly. The intent clearly wasn't to kill him, though, as after Llewen had been kicked around for a moment one of the thugs took the gold pouch on his belt, exclaiming as he did so. The thugs broke away after this, leaving Llewen battered and unsteady on the corner of the street and the alley. He scooted up against the wall, taking his helmet off to reveal his short, unkempt chestnut hair and clutch his forehead, still reeling from the attack. A bruise would form on many parts of his body, including his forehead and his cheek, but he seemed to be fine otherwise. His horse, Rosemary, returned to his side slowly, snorting.

It was another day for Llewen. His presence despite being a knight and having a sword on his side wasn't enough to intimidate much of anyone, for the rust on his mail and the general state of his equipment and otherwise. He was sad that so much money had just been lost, but he'd learned a thing or two from Landis and his dead parents about keeping money in safe places.

Yeah. Except his parents hadn't followed that advice, and now Llewen had nothing except a wooden castle and their memory to his name.

He put his head in his hands, fighting back tears and exhaling harshly. He could still buy some of the tools, but not nearly enough for what they needed, and this winter had been one of the harshest in a while. He began to feel a creeping despair suffocate his heart, as he looked up into the bleak winter sky wishing for some small ounce of good fortune for the day.

He guessed he'd have to make his own.

Tabitha Pamona

Last edited:
  • Cry
Reactions: Tabitha Pamona
Tabitha rested her chin on her knees as she huddled in the cold air. The sun was on her neck, but it did little to soothe her. Small puffs from her breath faded against the cobbles as she sat unmoving. It could have been hours she sat there, even she didn't know.

Tabitha thought about her twin, she missed him. He was the only person she had ever confided her worry to, the only one that had know her deepest secrets. Now these were kept close to her heart, her outer appearance a positive and happy one despite her troubles. It was just the cold that was getting to her now.

At first, the yelling fell around her like a soft crescendo that she ignored. It was the horse panicking that made her lift her head. She turned to look about her, catching sight of what had drawn her from her reverie. She shook her head to clear the fog and by then it was all over.

A knight in lackluster armor had been pulled from his mare by thugs that normally ran the streets. She had experienced that firsthand herself once or twice. She watched as the knight backed himself against the wall after the encounter, he was across from her but she could still tell he was hurting.

She stood, brushing red curls from her face as she did so. His horse had returned to him, so she approached carefully. She clicked softly to the mare, brushing her hand slowly across her side so as not to spook her. She slid the reins off off and held them as she crouched before the knight, he was young. As young as she perhaps. That in itself was intriguing. You didn't see many young knights about.

She studied him for a moment longer and offered him a small smile. She spoke finally, her voice soft and gentle as her grey eyes met his. "Hey, are you okay?"

Llewen Merrick

She looked worse than he did, even know. At least, that was the first thought that popped into Llewen's mind when this unfamiliar woman approached him from the alley, her motley rags of clothing on full display; she didn't even appear to have a coat or something warm to wear. Llewen was thankful that even in his poverty he had 3 peasant families under his stewardship, who were kind enough to make him shawls, jackets, and blankets for the cold weather.

He was surprised--this woman was able to calm his palfrey, which must have meant she had experience with horses. Perhaps she was a farm girl who had lost her way. He admitted to himself that her appearance, such as it was, still appealed to him; her long and flowing curls, her gentle eyes. It might have made any young man feel something. He supposed even commoners could be attractive. At least, he hoped so, because if they couldn't, then by extension he could never be a good Knight, having no money, no fighting skill, and no retainers or land.

He sat up straighter as she crouched in front of him. It was quite the scene: a knight dehorsed and mugged in broad daylight, then approached by a woman who looked homeless, crouched in front of him as if he were the one in need of rescuing. Maybe he was.

"You have my gratitude for your concern, good lady, but the wounds of the attack are within what I can bear." He stood up, brushing himself off and looking to her, expecting she would stand as well. The bruises really hurt, though, but a Knight wasn't supposed to show pain. At least, that’s what his father had taught him.

"I do not wish to seem ungrateful, but it seems you are in more need than I at this moment. Your clothes seem as if but a single thread stands between them and their demise. Tell me, good lady, do you need a fire and a good place to sleep? I am Llewen Merrick, the Lord of Castle Merrick. I offer shelter and food to any who are willing to help work on my land. So long as I hold that title, no harm will come to you under my stewardship. I regret being so forward about such a thing, but the lands of House Merrick have fallen on dire times, and I cannot tarry for long."

It was only moments, but it seemed liked they dragged on as she waited for him to speak. She still held the end of the reins tightly incase the mare decided to bolt, once spooked it was easy for them to spook again after all.

Soft flakes began to fall, landing on her cheeks and lashes. She brushed them away absently. She'd end up sleeping behind the forge again tonight, it was bound to get colder.

The knight finally spoke, and she arched her eyebrows at his words. He stood and she followed suit, holding out the reins for him to take. It wasn't her animal after all, though she did miss riding the fields with her brother and father.

"I'm glad it wasn't worse, the brutes around here aren't usually so gentle." He was a typical man, he was probably sore and bruising by the second, but refused to show it in his face. The thought made her smile to herself.

As the chestnut haired lad brought attention to her attire, she felt her face grow red with embarrassment. She wrapped her arms about herself and looked away from him. She was about to retort about her once being of noble family, but she held her tongue. He was inviting her with him, to help work his land for room and board. She knew very little about working the land, but she'd figure it out. She was likely to freeze to death before the end of winter if she didn't leap at this offer.

"Lord Merrick, I will take you up on such an offer. I am in dire need, as you can see. I don't really have the option to say no." She gave him a wry smile, her eyes still not meeting his as the heat of the previous embarrassment still colored her cheeks.

Llewen Merrick

Llewen nodded at her acceptance. He'd take all the help he could get, even from nearly complete strangers. After all, his only visible source of coin was gone, so it's not like she could rob him any more than he already had been. She seemed to demure and physically weak for that, anyway, even if her clothes could be concealing a weapon of some sort. He had a sword, at least, and he'd be a fool if he was caught off-guard twice.

"My heart is gladdened that you accept," Llewen said. "My castle is some ways from the city. I need to quickly buy tools and other equipment for my subjects. If we make haste, we can arrive before the sun has completely set." He paused. "Ride with me."

He offered to help the woman onto the horse, such as it was--he wasn't too concerned about his status at this point, he barely had anything to lose. If she accepted, he'd give her feet a boost onto the horse's back, and once she was on, he'd take a blanket from one of the saddlebags and help wrap it around her. Anyone knew at this time of year in Mardania that it was far too cold to be exposed, and he'd be cruel not to offer such hospitality to her.

"Pray tell, good lady, might I have the honor of knowing your name?" he asked. He took this chance to look at her a little bit better, really seeing her. She was one of the fairer ladies he'd ever met, especially outside of when he'd visited the royal court to ask for a tax exemption, but he could tell she was definitely in need of fresh clothes and potentially a bath. Llewen felt self-conscious too, of course; in the world of nobility he might as well have been walking around with what she was wearing. But getting better armor was a far more difficult process than finding new clothes.

In all honesty, this could be a trap of some sort. Maybe he meant to take advantage of her and leave her dead in the street. He seemed decent enough, but she'd seen enough deceit around here to know that it entirely plausible. Still, if he was honest, there was no better deal for her out there.

"Then let us get what you need and be on our way." She offered him a small smile, he was trying very hard to be knightly, it was a little endearing. He bade her ride with him and she nodded quietly, it would be nice to sit atop rather than walk beside. She wasn't about to argue. " Thank you, Lord Merrick." She kept her formality, as one should even as a noble until more than acquaintances.

He booster her up, and she found her seat gracefully. She was entirely comfortable on the back of a horse, maybe she had shown she was too comfortable. She bit her lip as she waited for him to proceed, clutching tightly to the blanket he had tuck around her.

He seemed a decent sort, and she didn't feel she needed to fear him like her initial thoughts. He seemed honorable, and she could respect that. "Thank you, for the blanket, and for offering to take me in." She knew she'd have to work for her keep, but she had come to terms with that when she first lost her family. She looked up again as he asked her name. " My name is Tabitha, it's a pleasure to meet you Ser."

Llewen Merrick

"Tabitha," Llewen repeated, affirming the name. "'Tis an honor to take you under my stewardship. For now, I will walk alongside Rosemary while your weary feet rest." He started leading Rosemary with one of the reins, figuring Tabitha would stay in the saddle for the foreseeable future. He would turn to speak to her whenever he did so.

"Good lady, pray tell, do you have any skills in labor? We are in need of farmers, woodsmen, hunters, and men at arms." Llewen had seen women who could fight, and a quick judge of Tabitha's form made that last option fairly suspect. "If not, we can teach you, but we are also looking for talent that can help reclaim my lands. I have many acres of potential farmland covered with thick pine trees and other obstacles, but beneath is a great deal of farmland that could help turn my situation around. Even so, any extra hands with more domestic tasks like sewing clothes and maintaining other equipment would be of use."

He led her while listening to her answer, the streets relatively quiet for the time being, and their conversation could be heard clearly. He hoped the blanket might help her a bit, as he knew all too well the dangers of exposure on cold days like these.

Tabitha sighed in a relief she hadn't felt in a long time. Things were finally looking up for her, at least a little. She would have meals, and a fire to warm her bones, a place to rest. It wasn't the luxury she used to have, but it wasn't the streets either.

As he lead his mare, Rosemary he had called her, she smiled. "She's a beautiful animal." She reached out to pat Rosemary's neck affectionately, and then huddled back into her blanket. "Thank you, for letting me ride. You are injured though, are you sure you're alright walking?" As much as she appreciated his offer, she did have concern for him too.

Tabitha squirmed at his question, and looked ahead as she thought about her answer. "Domestic duties I know, the rest I can learn. Put me where I can be of most use to you, and I will perform to the best of my abilities." She turned to him, a hint of fire in her eyes as she spoke. When she put her mind to it, she could get it done. Especially to one who pulled her from the brink of despair.

Llewen Merrick

Llewen chuckles at the suggestion he'd sustained serious injuries. He'd been beaten down by his father, and now Landis much worse just in sparring. The training for a knight was harsh indeed, and Llewen's athletic body made it hard to mistake that.

"Oh, yes milady, I'm quite fine walking still. After all, they mostly got me in the face anyway," he said, pointing to his bruises.

It was only after he said this that he realized she might be talking about the pain that went beyond the physical, like the utter humiliation of a knight being mugged by common criminals, but he'd already spoken and it was too late to change that.

At the mention of domestic duties, Llewen looked to her again.

"Were you a maid previously, Tabitha? I suppose we could use someone to tidy up the castle interior. I couldn't help but notice that you seem to know your way around a horse; if you have some skill with them, we have no stablemaster at the moment either. Right now House Merrick only has 2 horses, but having someone to prepare them and keep them in good health apart from Landis or I would be tremendously helpful."

It was a shot in the dark; after all, what did a homeless person know about tending horses? Still, that kind of pessimism wasn't something Llewen could really afford if he ever wanted to repay Her Highness Helia Glacies Kyxo for her generosity in granting him a 5 year tax exemption.

They began to make their way into the market, where a few smaller transactions were taking place in a square specifically designed to hold such faculties. He began looking for the tools he needed among the vendors, listening to Tabitha as she responded.

Tabitha gripped Rosemary with her thighs as she held the blanket in place. She moved smoothly with the animal beneath her, she had loved riding at her estate. She had gone out everyday, jumping rotten logs and tearing through fields. It had made her feel alive.

She looked down at Llewen as he spoke, and she couldn't let the astonished laugh escape her lips. "I'm not sure I could handle it like you did, that's for sure. You are a knight indeed." She was flattering him a bit, but after his encounter, he deserved it.

His face had started to bruise remarkably and she frowned. She felt bad, it had to hurt. She dodged his gaze as he asked her about her previous status and she nodded, her lips in a tight line. "I was a maid of sorts, yes." That's all she would speak on the matter right now, even if he pressed.

"I do know quite a bit about horses, I would not be opposed to the idea of being your stablemaster...If that's where you wish to put me Milord." She fell back into formality, it was a safety she could hide behind. He began his purchases, and she studied him when he wasn't looking. He had a sweet face, he wasn't unattractive in the slightest. Above all, he seemed kind, and genuine. She cared about that more.

Llewen Merrick

He was joyful that she found his knightly stoicism so endearing, since right about now all he wanted to do was sit by a warm fire with a wet rag and nurse his wounds. Each new person Llewen accepted into his estate came each with their own set of skills and, usually, problems. Llewen wondered what problems Tabitha might bring. Not that he would pry, but he did wish he could be more open about such things; again, the pains of being desperate defined the nature of his every interaction.

He listened to her and didn't respond for a moment as he went up to a merchant, found some of the cloth his peasant families needed, then reached into a saddlebag to get his hidden pouch of gold out, which he then used to pay for the cloth. It wasn't wasted on Llewen that his fighting equipment was likely the least useful of all his possessions, and he'd even thought about selling his sword before to make ends meet, as it was likely his most valuable possession at this point--then again, it was easier to keep a sword in good condition when it wasn't being used.

After finishing the transaction, he began to lead Rosemary again, looking over to where a blacksmith worked. The hammer and nails would have to be enough for now, until they made more money from selling pelts or the sale of other goods.

Llewen returned to the conversation, at last. "I would receive you wherever you'd wish, so long as you are able to work in kind. Very well; we shall make you the stablemaster. If I find your abilities lacking, I'll find something else for you. We do have use for a maid, especially for washing clothes, so if you're not up to the task then you'll still have a place within the safety of House Merrick's lands."

His mind turned to the road as he approached the blacksmith, and completed the transaction for the hammer and nails.

Once upon a time, he would have been beneath her in this state. It was a curious turn for her, an irony she wouldn't soon forget. She would probably have never spoken to him, her father wouldn't have allowed her. His poverty was likely similar to a dagger twisting in one's spine, she too had felt it. She had slowly grown numb to it, but he was fighting for his people.

There was a respect growing for him in that regard. He didn't seem to have much, and yet he was helping her. That said a lot about a person, and it did not go unnoticed by her.

Tabitha remained quiet as he made his purchases. She knew to wait to be acknowledged, he was probably spending his thoughts on measuring her as a person as well. It was a tough position they were both in. Hopefully they would even be able to drop the pretense of overly proper speech and actually speak normally with one another.

She bowed her head in acceptance, he was generous. More so than most. "As you wish Milord." He was in dire need too it seemed, no one to even do the washing. Maybe she'd do extra work, just to be useful. How hard could it be anyways?

"If I may ask Milord, what is the status of the estate? It seems you've got about as much luck as me." She hoped she didn't offend him, but there was a hint of concern in her voice. Not for herself, but for the consequences he may have to bear.

Llewen Merrick

Llewen was at once pleased that Tabitha had seemed to accept her duties with some degree of enthusiasm. He knew morale was one thing he would need to keep at a high if he was going to succeed in reclaiming his estate. Positivity could pass from one person to another, as could selfless acts, and Llewen intended to make his name on the back of his own generosity, even though he didn't have all that much to give.

It was something Llewen thought about frequently, though, as it wasn't just that he didn't have money, he didn't have troops or equipment, either, which are the things that would mark him most as a Knight of the realm and a retainer to the throne of Mardania. It meant, worst of all, that he had no men to protect his vassals, with his and Landis' swords being the only ones that could be raised in defense of his lands. Ironically, as Llewen's land became more lucrative with more crops, it would also mean he would quickly become a bigger target for another lord.

Such thoughts were common, and they were taxing on the mind of an 18 year old boy who had a lot of other issues to unpack as well.

After finishing the transaction, he mounted Rosemary in front of Tabitha. Normally, someone his age might feel embarrassed riding so close to someone like Tabitha, but he was used to riding on horseback from his days spent riding with his mother, and when he was orphaned, riding with a few peasant girls to help them accomplish tasks faster. She was prettier than those girls, but Llewen's mind was, as usual, focused on the state of his estate.

Which Tabitha had conveniently just asked him to explain. He urged Rosemary on gently, starting to lead them out of the market and eastward towards the eastern exit of the city.

"I must confess, good lady, the state of House Merrick at this time is dire indeed. We have 5 years to pay 10 years' worth of taxes, the cost of repayment for a tax exemption at the behest of her Highness, Lady Helia. It would have only been 5 years, a fair repayment, but I was bold and offered to double the payment as a show of gratitude to earn her Highness' favor. I fear my foolish promises may have led me to the loss of my own title."

He paused. She asked, so she would get the full answer.

"Then there is the state of my land. My father was only recently knighted and landed, and had plans to turn 380 acres of forest into farmland, as he was told by a surveyor that the land was good for crops. But then..." He strained. The wound was still fresh in his mind, but he was determined not to break down in front of a stranger, who was now his subject. "My father and mother were killed with almost all their gold by orcs on the way to hire laborers to prepare the land. It left me penniless and with only 20 acres of land to my name, barely enough to pay for itself, but not nearly enough to provide troops or expand. And I nor any of the peasants have the time or energy to prepare the land ourselves; we need experienced woodsmen for that."

"Still, I can't but wonder that your luck is somehow worse, milady. Your countenance is one most disconcerting."

Tabitha couldn't imagine the strain he must be feeling. He was as young as she was, and she knew that if he were the lord of the estate, it was likely he was learning as he went. This was a hard thing to have to do. There was no learning from mistakes, if you screwed up, it was nearly impossible to fix.

They seemed to both be locked in their own thoughts as questions hung heavily in the air. Llewen had finished what he needed to it seemed, and he mounted Rosemary easily in front of her. She did not cling to him, her thighs holding her in place as she balanced, if the moved at a faster pace, she'd have no choice but to hold on to him.

She listened intently as he spoke, this was important information she'd need. This would tell her what she was headed into. Once he finished, she let out a quiet "Oh" of sympathy. They hadn't yet left the city, but she wrapped her arms around him in what would be a hug if not for the armor. It was an automatic movement, that once performed, had her withdrawing like she had scorched herself.

Her face heated, though he could not see it. She had definitely crossed the line, but maybe he would just ignore it. It was something she was going to try and gloss over, and she spoke hastily. " It sounds like we have out work cut out for us, I'll do what I can to help with the best of my abilities."

She tucked her chin against her chest with embarrassment. At his next comment, she laughed bitterly. " I will admit, this past year has not been kind to me. I was not always like this. I lost my home and my family with no way to support myself. It's not something I wish to repeat. A few hot meals and something that isn't rags for clothes and you'll see me in a different light. This I can promise."

Llewen Merrick

Llewen was comfortable in the saddle, perhaps one of his few truly competent skills, and there wasn't the most room in the saddle, so when Tabitha leaned forward and held him, he wasn't especially surprised, but it nonetheless felt nice to him--what boy his age wouldn't like having a young woman wrapping her arms around him like that? Still, he wasn't completely oblivious--his parents had at least taught him something about marriage, not the least of which being that the status of his wife was more important than his feelings. After all, love did little if it did not come with status and the possibility of children. Not that Llewen hadn't thought about having a good time with a woman without worrying about the consequences, he just didn't really have the time, means, or attention to be pursuing such frivolities.

It sounds like we have out work cut out for us,

Llewen chuckled. "Yes, that is an understatement, milady."

He listened to her tale, frowning though she could not see. "I offer my deepest apologies for your state, milady. I have lost nearly as much as you, yet it seems you ultimately have lost more. A bitter contest, to be sure. My Steward, Landis, also lost his home and his family to squabbles between the petty counts of this land. It seems that tragedy follows us all in the estate of House Merrick." He paused, thinking of her immediate concerns for food and shelter. "So long as you serve me, you have my word of protection and sanctuary. Your promise is well-taken, and I will hold you to it."

He smiled. They were just about to exit the city, onto the main road that led towards the lands of House Merrick. The sky was bleak, but for now there was at least no snow or fog and they could see the road clearly ahead of them despite the gloom. Such was life in the northern lands.

They continued on, and he did not seem to notice her brief panic. That was good, she chalked it up him thinking she was holding him for balance. It was relieving to her that he had not reacted. It was her weakness to care, even strangers. She was still young, still naive about certain things, certainly her trusting nature would get her in trouble some day.

They rode on, and she watched the scenery change before her. She frowned as he talked about still more trauma for one of his men. It was glaringly close to what had happened with her, but she did not point it out. "That's awful, for both of you. I'm so sorry." Her brows were furrowed and she lost herself in thought. They were are so similar in their tragedies.

"I can promise you that I will do my duties as required, I intend to serve you as long as you'll have me." More formalities, but they were necessary. She fell silent as they left the city, her apprehensions suddenly taking hold and she pressed against Llewen once again.

There was real danger out on the roads, and she knew it. They all knew it. One knight, and a young one at that..was it enough? "How far is your esate?" She spoke in an almost whisper, a hint of fear evident in her tone.

Llewen Merrick

He didn't ignore Tabitha when she offered an apology, but he also didn't respond; it was a hard topic and Llewen struggled to think of words to say. He always had, even since his parents were killed. It was something he struggled with even now, a lingering wound upon his very mind and soul.

"I will again hold you to that promise, milady. House Merrick has need of such promises." He was trying very hard to sound like his father, but sometimes this did not come easy, both for the failing of his own ability to speak and the fear of inadequacy that constantly vexed him.

He felt her press against him again; at this point he suspected it might be for more than just balance, Perhaps she was attracted to him, or perhaps she was emotionally drained. The latter seemed more plausible, given they were both talking about their dead families, and it hardly seemed the time for something like romance.

"We should reach Castle Merrick by nightfall. The old road to there is not known by many, and bandits do not frequent it for lack of a good prize. We should reach it without incident."

He paused, realizing what her concern might be.

"Take heart, milady. Perhaps for at least one evening, the hospitality of House Merrick can grant you reprieve and a rest for your weary feet."

The pine forests around them began to grow as the city grew more distant; the eastern part of Mardania was forested more heavily, home to many woodland creatures that were often targets for hunters and poachers. The trade of hunting was possibly the only thing keeping House Merrick afloat at the moment. Much of the land was unclaimed, undisturbed mountain forest, stretching beyond where the eye could see among some of the mountains of the nearby Spine.

He let silence reign for many moments, as they continued on their way. He spoke again sometime later.

"I hope that blanket is serving milady well. I cannot imagine what even one night without a warm fire in this frigid clime must be like."

Tabitha kept her eyes on their surroundings, not feeling comfortable outside the city. She had made the trek herself when her home fell apart, and it had been a treacherous journey for her.

She didn't respond to his return statement, they had explored all avenues of that line of conversation for now. There was silence between them for a while, but it wasn't uncomfortable. She was weary, her life thus far had made her weary. She was grateful that he was letting her rest against him as they rode. It provided some comfort at least.

It wasn't that she found Llewen attractive, because she did that she rested so comfortably. It was the feeling of being safe, and having a home again. He more than likely just thought of her as a nothing special commoner, and she'd let him. She wasn't going to use status, and she wasn't ready to dive into her trauma with a stranger just yet.

It was a relief that they should reach the castle by nightfall with no hiccups. "Thank you again, for bringing me with you. I fear I would have not made the winter if you hadn't." There was more silence and he broke the stillness once more.

"The blanket serves me well enough, though I shall feel glad to warm my fingers and toes at a hearth. I often did small bits of work in the city just to sleep in a stable, or a cot. It didn't always happen unfortunately. The forge provides a decent heat throughout the night, I've spent many a night there." She paused, wondering if she would be crossing the line with her next statement.

"If its uncomfortable, you don't have to be so formal in the way you speak to me. I won't think any less of you, Milord." For her it was a natural way to talk, she was trained to be a lady of the court. She just wanted him to feel comfortable speaking to her.

Llewen Merrick

Llewen was initially somewhat impressed with Tabitha's ingenuity; the life of a refugee mandated as much. However, he felt the glass shatter around him as she mentioned his overly formal tone, stammering out a response.

"M-milady, is it so obvious? I only seek to possess the affect of a knight, but am I misguided?"

He huffed, now completely embarrassed.

"Well, what do you know anyway? You're a commoner, you should watch that your tongue does not flap so freely around. Not all are as gracious as I am, so..."

He paused, growing redder in the face as he realized what he'd done and said. It was poor conduct and he knew it.

"I'm sorry," he said, quickly. "I spoke too harshly. I only fear that if I do not ever strive for excellence, that my estate should crumble down around me. What little of it there is, anyway."

Llewen had a sympathy for commoners most didn't, as the peasant families that were his subjects provided him with the only sense of community he'd known after his parents died. He was kicking himself for having spoken to Tabitha in such a way, and hoped he hadn't soured things too much.

Tabitha instantly regretted bringing it up, as he replied. She had no intention of embarrassing him, she had just wanted him to feel comfortable in his own skin. She felt her own face heat, and tears prickle the corners of her eyes. She hated when she upset others, she took it very much to heart.

She didn't have time to answer, his words much quicker than hers. She wanted to blurt out that she was not just a commoner for him to grind his heel into. That she was a Lady, that she knew how the courts worked.

Instead she let him speak, rubbing her tears into the blanket that was still wrapped about her. "I had not intended to anger you Milord, I apologize. It wasn't my place to speak on such things" There was more she wanted to say, but she was hesitant now, even after he had rescinded and apologized.

"I just wanted to get to know the real you, as I will be serving under you from now on. That was all I desired." She bit her lip and retracted her grip on him, relying on her own balance and experience to keep her aboard. Her own pride was hurt in this moment, and she didn't know how to proceed. "I've spent some time in court, well a long time ago I did. I guess I could spot the difference. I beg your forgiveness Milord, I meant nothing malicious by it."

Llewen Merrick

Llewen knew part of his duty was to serve the common people, yet paradoxically, he also needed to properly lord over them as well as part of his station as a Knight. Yet he knew he'd crossed a line, especially when he felt Tabitha physically pull away from him, and he inferred she was probably distressed after his comment.

"It isn't your place to speak on such things," he echoed. "Yet I welcome it all the same. It is unvirtuous of me to treat one of my subjects so harshly, even if she has spoken out of turn in the traditional sense."

He listened to her, digesting her words for a moment.

"I know little of your intentions at this point, except that you are in need of shelter and safety. Something we perhaps all need," he mused. "But I suppose if you were trying to injure me or rob me, we are sufficiently far from the city for you to do so. I trust too easily, perhaps!" he said, laughing. "I must wonder though why you hadn't mentioned earlier that you served in a court. Perhaps I would have taken your suggestion with less reproach. It matters not; I would offer you a place in my service regardless of where you came from. Today, your life begins anew."

Tabitha remained silent for a moment, steadying her voice and waiting for the lump in her throat to recede. She took a steadying breath and finally worked the nerve to respond. "I should not have spoken out of turn, Milord. Were you a harsher Lord, you would have flogged me right here for my insolence. I am grateful that you did not. You have my deepest apologies again."

Though he said he welcomed it, she was hesitant to even breach that wall again. Maybe when they knew each other more, interacted more it would be different. Instead she was back to hiding behind her formalities again. She had only wanted to attempt to befriend him in some way, them being so close in age. She hadn't been close to anyone in a long time.

"I don't even know how to hold a weapon, let alone rob you." That and she would have picked a better target, but she wasn't about to say that to him. "It's not something I speak of often, court. It brings about painful memories that I don't like to think about." That was true enough, it always made her cry to think about her family and the life she used to know. "I look forward to proving my use to you, and I hope I do serve you well indeed."

Llewen Merrick

"Not having a weapon hasn't stopped more determined robbers, I should think," he said with a chuckle. "Still--and I must say this--being robbed, as an armed man, in broad daylight is quite the experience. What if I had drawn my sword? I suppose that's why there were 3 of them, but I must admit that I felt quite powerless all the same. I am expected to fight Her Highness' real enemies, yet I am a target for common criminals. The shame!"

He found himself opening up to her a little bit more.

"If I may be frank, milady, so long as you do not torch my castle and plunder my empty coffers before pillaging what little farmland I do have, I think you will do quite well for House Merrick." He turned to her as much as he could, offering a smile. He'd taken into account what she'd said about her past, but Llewen had thought there was enough talk of that for one day, and the road ahead of them was too long to be dwelling on such thoughts. Llewen was usually loathe to entertain them, anyway; a positive attitude was the only thing helpful he could have that didn't cost him time or money.

Tabitha was happily surprised as he spoke more openly with her. It was a subtle shift that she hoped would stick as they got to know each other. She wanted to be able to talk to him comfortably, especially if she was working under him.

"Just think, one day street urchin will look at you and cower. I think you are going to do great things, most people in your shoes would have given up. It's commendable, and I respect it."

She laughed softly at his next comment, the hurt from him yelling at her was fading as his mannerisms became more real to her.
"I promise I won't steal from you or start any fires, though I may have to steal an extra tart or two at mealtimes. Sweets are my weakness." She was teasing of course and hoped he took it as such. She was trying to show him bits of herself too.

He had turned to her as much as he could while the talked, and she wished she could see the smile that had come with the gesture. It was a reassuring thing for her, and an affirmation that deciding to go with him would pay off one way or the other.

They fell into a comfortable silence and she found herself resting against him again, though when it happened she couldn't recall. She hummed softly to herself as they rode, her eyes closing as she relaxed.

Llewen Merrick