Private Tales Raindrops on Roses

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
He was flattered that Tabitha respected his efforts; it wasn't a sentiment he was used to in the slightest. He would need a while to digest the idea that she presented about giving up, specifically his unwillingness to do so, but as it was something Llewen himself didn't quite understand, it was something that was nearly impossible to articulate. He didn't give up because he couldn't give up. When he was in the deepest pits of his anguish at his parents' passing, he still woke up cold, and woke up hungry. It was those basic needs that kept him going all that time, and now that Llewen had been living like this for 5 years, he realized that his subjects had those same basic needs, too, and that people were counting on him.

He laughed when she talked about sweets. "I'm afraid we have very few sweets at Castle Merrick at the moment. Do you think we should get some? My coin would carry us through the night should we return to the city, and we could--" he stopped, thinking of the current state of her clothing, and it dawned on him what it might look like to be riding around the city as a Knight with someone in her current condition.

"On second thought, we need to get you into some proper clothing. Rags like that won't do for the cold weather." He was at least polite enough to not mention some of his more selfish thoughts.

He fell into silence alongside her after that last bit of conversation, feeling her lean more heavily. He couldn't see her, and wondered if she'd fallen asleep or was just resting, but regardless he'd hoped this was a better station for her. Part of Llewen's mission for getting help was to give them something he actually had--those basic needs that he could offer to people with the farmland and stored food they had, as well as the growing number of hunters in Llewen's employ. Truthfully, he didn't know that they needed a stablemaster necessarily at the moment, and she would likely be a drain on their resources at first, but once Llewen did assemble his own knights and men-at-arms, having her services would be invaluable. This kind of forward thinking wasn't of Llewen's design only, of course; much of it was from his steward, Landis, who being a former lord of a castle of his own had much great advice about running one.

Not much seemed to change in the sky when snow began to gently fall, snowflakes kissing the pine branches and the road before them. He didn't know if she was awake, and softly asked "Tabitha?", as he felt an urge to talk to her regarding the state of House Merrick more.

• Cthuulove
Reactions: Tabitha Pamona
Tabitha had only been teasing when she had mentioned the sweets but she laughed softly as he took it to heart immediately. It endeared him to her even more. He cut himself off before she could and she grimaced at her own appearance.

"I would not ask you to spend what coin you have on such a trivial thing, there are other things that are more important." She hesitated before adding "Milord" to the end of her sentence. She wasn't sure where she stood with him, and didn't want to upset him again by not using the formality.

Her threadbare clothing, starting to grey from continuous use, her disheveled hair, and slightly gaunt appearance would definitely make him look bad if they returned to the city. She did not want that for him, even if he had the extra coin for such a silly thing.

They continued in silence for a long while, and while her eyes grew heavy, she was still awake. She wondered what her new duties would entail, and she worried about failing. She wanted to do well, she wanted to earn her keep. Most of all, and to her surprise, she did not want to let Llewen down.

He said her name as snow began to fall gently, and she lifted her head slightly in response to hearing it. His voice was soft, almost reluctant to bother her and it made her smile. "Yes, Milord?" There was a sleepy tone in her voice, but she would make herself rouse well enough for him.

Llewen Merrick

• Bless
Reactions: Llewen Merrick
He was somewhat surprised when she answered; he'd thought maybe she had fallen asleep.

"I was thinking on some things regarding my estate, and I'd hoped you wouldn't mind if I spoke about them a bit. As I told you, I must repay quite a lot of tax in, relatively speaking, a very short amount of time. I have almost nothing; the only money we make is what little crops we do sell, which we have no equipment for the peasants to haul into town, and the pelts our two hunters collect, which they are generous enough to share in exchange for a place to sleep. We have not yet begun to reclaim the land, and it's been months since I was given the exemption."

He paused, gulping.

"I fear if I had two-hundred men, that it would not be enough. It will take a miracle beyond my understanding to both complete the work, make enough gold, and gather the 32 men I am required to provide for Lady Helia's army. I can thereby only in good faith warn you that I may not be the lord of Castle Merrick when the 5 years have passed. If I cannot get the money, my titles will be stripped and I will be exiled from Mardania."

They reached the entrance to the old road that branched from the main path. A small herd of Elk had begun to cross, their hides sprinkled with the freshly fallen snow. A few calves walked among them.

"I will be as low in station as you, milady, perhaps lower, as now that you will work for me, you have rights to the land you work. In essence, you have become bound to Castle Merrick by entering my service. At least, if that's what you wish. If this revelation is too much, I will see that you stay the night at Castle Merrick, and I will clothe you and return you to Mardus in the morning. I am ashamed and deeply sorry that I was not more forthright about the details of my predicament. But know that if you do serve me, in whatever capacity, that at the very least it has gladdened my heart and given me a gleam of hope in the impenetrable poverty that has swallowed up House Merrick."

As the herd mostly passed, a single bull elk trailed behind the rest, sporting an imposing set of antlers, its breaths visible in the cold, puffing from its nose with every few steps. It was easily bigger than Rosemary--all of the Elk were-- but the bull in particular seemed to tower over them even from horseback.

• Thoughtful
Tabitha straightened as he began to talk. This sounded important and she wanted to pay close attention to what he was telling her. It seemed it was a lot, and she focused her attention to following every detail.

Snow was settling on her red curls and clinging to her eyelashes as they road. She waited patiently for him to finish talking. He seemed rushed to get everything out and in the open and she waited quietly for her turn to speak.

A heard of elk passed before them as they continued their journey. She smiled at the calves, how they chased after their mother. Their little hooves kicking up loose powder.

Llewen finished speaking, and shebsar quietly for a moment pondering his words to formulate her own response. He was indeed desperate, and it was not in his favor. He might lose everything, but that was all the more reason to try, what more did he have to lose than he had already lost anyways.

"Lord Merrick, if you are allowing me to speak freely then please take my words as you will or disregard them. That is your choice." She took a deep breath and continued to watch the elk as she spoke.

"I chose to come with you because I am desperate. I would not have survived otherwise. Even if I had, I would likely have been a victim of crime. Beaten, taken advantage of in the worst way. Instead, I chose a new path. Your path. I am putting all my faith in you, and I know the odds are very much stacked against you. Your home is in shambles, and you've only just begun picking up the pieces. It's been a fee months, sure, but you've still got time. Don't despair so easily. You will find a way, and you will make it work.

Tabitha was firm in her conviction. She wanted this to work for him, and he was looking in a negative light. She would do her best to reverse that and build him up. He couldn't succeed if he was only looking at what he hasn't done.

"I fully intend to see this through to the end. There is no going back for me. Neither is there for you. So I will put my head down and do my best to serve you. You can't let what you haven't accomplished get in the way of seeing what you have accomplished in such a short amount of time. I will stay until you tell me otherwise, Milord."

A humongous bull was bringing up the rear of the elk and she swallowed. He was huge, and could easily cause damage if they somehow angered it. It seemed unbothered however, and her comments still lay thick in the air.

Llewen Merrick

As Llewen contemplated Tabitha's response, the bull elk raised its head and let out its shrill bugle, which echoed in the forest around them. Rosemary tapped her feet in discomfort, as Llewen attempted to calm her. The moment passed quickly, and before long the bull was following the herd again, each step of its massive hooves clicking loudly on the road before it reached the forest again. Llewen urged Rosemary on again, knowing that time was of the essence if the snow was getting worse.

Llewen wasn't particularly superstitious, but the sight the bull evoked in him a sense of awe, both fear and wonder. He wondered if it was a portent of some kind.

"Milady..." he eventually said, seeming unsure of how to proceed. He was touched by her kindness; promises and oaths meant a lot in Mardania. "Perhaps you are right. I may despair too quickly. As your lord, I will do my best, if that is what you will do for me. Your enthusiasm inspires me to greater heights still."

He looked up at the sky for a moment, as the snow still fell gently, but was starting to fall in a heavier volume.

"It brings me great pain to think of those fates you described, milady. I would not wish it for anyone, especially one so kind and eager to serve. I should like to think that subjects like you will be the key to House Merrick's success. I have confidence you will serve me well. You will be bound to Castle Merrick and I hope it shall be a more inviting home to you than it has been for me for the last 5 years. Maybe it is not yet the home of a knight, but it may yet be a home for one such as yourself."

He felt satisfied with saying that; Tabitha was proving to have potentially been a diamond in the rough, and Llewen needed that, perhaps today more so than most.

The old road leading to Castle Merrick was starting to become littered with snow, but Rosemary was used to such conditions and continued on, snorting occasionally and flicking her head at the precipitation. The old road itself was in poor shape, more or less a dirt trail that became muddy and slick with too much snow or rain, flanked on both sides by pine forest with the occasional fallen tree that needed to be bypassed by potential travelers. It was perhaps the most honest introduction to the rest of the estate, downtrodden in a state of disrepair that required more than just a touch-up to get back to an acceptable condition. It was here Llewen's parents were killed, and it was here that many had arrived to the estate seeking refuge. He still wondered how far it would really get him, but for now he was contented that at least one more would be joining them, and it would be someone he could speak to in the castle who was his own age, too.

As her reply hung heavily in the air, the massive bull let a resounding bugle permeate the air. Tabitha watched him in awe as he continued on after his heard. She felt in her bones that this was a sign for hope.

Rosemary became bit skittish at the sudden outburst, but Llewen was quick to soothe her. She too reached across to pat the steady mare's neck. She was a good horse, and Tabitha made a note to bring her a carrot after she was settled at the castle.

Soon they were on the move again, and Tabitha turned her head to follow the bull with her eyes until he was swallowed by the forest. Llewen spoke finally, and she turned back to stare at his back as he spoke.

They had both bared a little of their desperate souls to each other, and already she felt closer to him. If ever she could use a friend, now was that time. In their brief familiarity, she had grown a little bolder in her response to his words.

"If despair ever tries to drown you, come find me. I'll help you find your path, like you've helped me find mine. Your people will rally around a lord that exudes confidence, despair tightly put in its place."

The snow was falling heavier, sticking to her hair, her clothing, melting against her skin. She started to shiver, and she clung to him tighter for balance sake.

"I believe we can make it a home fit for a knight." Her chattering teeth kept her from talking more as she was wracked with tremors from shivering. She was going to make sure she went above and beyond. Set a good example for him, and any others he would one day bring into the fold.

She slumped against him, she hoped they were nearly there, she didn't know how much more of the cold she could take. Her emaciated body was not handling it well. No stored fats to keep her body regulated.

Llewen Merrick

Once again, Tabitha's words were encouraging and kind. He was surprised at her eloquence despite being a commoner; she was nothing like the girls near his age from his peasant families. He felt a kinship to her he hadn't felt with anyone else--it was impossible for him to deny. Even Landis wasn't so easy to communicate with. He thanked her generously for the compliments and the offer for aid, for they were exactly what someone in his station wanted, perhaps needed to hear, even though Llewen was unsure what she had to offer him other than the work she had already promised. What did she know about being a Lord? Llewen then felt Tabitha lean against him, although her form was so light from her current state that he wondered if most of that weight was from the blanket he had given her.

Still, the sudden increase in the snow was becoming very concerning to Llewen--they still had some way to go, and if the wind picked up they'd be caught in a blizzard without much real way of surviving it. It was this increase in snow and the steadily dimmer daylight that made Llewen miss something that had walked directly in front of them: an emaciated black wolf, staring them down with yellow eyes that seemed to almost glow in the gloom.

He bade Rosemary to stop, looking for a moment but feeling desperately indecisive. His hand reached for his sword, but even this felt tenuous. He wished he'd been a moment sooner, for the wolf began to move towards them.

"Hang on, milady," Llewen said, drawing his sword. He could kill a wolf at least, right? To defend his homeland? This question burned in him as he clicked with his tongue to get Rosemary to move at a canter, a pace suited for battle and using a lance, but he only had his sword, and he hadn't practiced this in a while. The moment seemed to last forever before they actually met, Llewen gripping his sword tighter and tighter as he prepared to swing at the wolf as a cavalryman should, a downward strike meant to hit a man in the head or chest. However, his lack of practice and skill showed as he was too slow to swing the blade, and the wolf leapt past the arc of the sword and hit Llewen, tearing him from the saddle and to the snowy ground to the left side of the palfrey.

The padding in his armor saved him from a serious head injury, and likely the rest of his body as well, but now he was alone with the wolf. He still held his sword in his right hand, but the wolf had latched on to his arm and had begun to viciously bite and chew, its sharp fangs piercing his thick cloth armguards and mangling much of the flesh below. Llewen cried out in pain, unable to respond for a moment while the wolf's violence rent his arm. Finally, he worked through the pain and swung back at the wolf, catching its flank as it squealed in pain, releasing its bite and starting to back off. But Llewen was hot with the pain and adrenaline pumping through his body, and he quickly went after it, swiping with his sword but missing a few times. Finally, the wolf stumbled back from Llewen's renewed assault, and Llewen was able to cleanly land a thrust at the end of his arm's length through the wolf's neck, killing it, its body falling limply to the ground as Llewen removed the sword.

Disoriented, Llewen looked around for Tabitha and Rosemary, wondering what had become of them in the meantime.

Llewen was being receptive of what she was saying, and she was grateful he was accepting it without getting defensive. She was glad they were slowly getting to know each other before she was fully in his service. It would help them work together in the future. It felt natural to talk to him. He didn't know it, but the fact that she was able to converse normally with someone of her station meant the world to her. A taste of what she lost.

They pair grew quiet again. It was like a rolling wave of conversation. They would talk at length and then fall silent, repeating the pattern the entire time they had been on horseback. Still, the silence had never been uncomfortable. Tabitha was concentrating on not falling asleep, she definitely didn't want to fall off of Rosemary.

Tabitha looked up as Llewen halted along the path. She wasn't immediately sure why, but she wanted to find out. She leaned around him to see, and a small gasp as she saw the black pelt of the wolf. He looked hungry and that made it dangerous.

The wolf began moving toward them, it's yellow eyes flashing with a terrifying hunger. Suddenly, Llewen bad her hold on, and so she did. Rosemary's pace increased and he drew his weapon in preparation to strike. He was not fast enough, and the wolf tore him from the saddle right in front of her.

Rosemary bucked in fear, and Tabitha hastily leaned forward to grab the reins as Rosemary kicked out with her legs and took off in a fit of fear. After grabbing the reins, Tabitha managed to slide forward in the saddle. Unfortunately the blanket fell onto the snow, but her focus was on stopping Rosemary. She calmed the mare after a few minutes, and went to head back for Llewen.

She could feel worry in her belly as they made her way back she hoped he was okay. Finally, they made it back to the narrow road and she spotted the ragged pelt of the wolf laying still in the snow. Crimson arced across the white powder and it made her sick to her stomach.

Her eyes next fell to Llewen. Upon a cursory glance, he seemed fine of a little disoriented. A deeper look and one would notice the blood dripping off him and into the snow as well.

"Milord, you're hurt!" Without thought, Tabitha slid out of the saddle and rushed to his aide. She ran to him and studied him, finding the source of the bleeding. She was freezing, but it seemed the adrenaline was making her forget. "We are going to have to set up camp so I can tend to your injuries my lord." There were hints of panic, and concern in her voice. She wanted to fuss over him, but she didn't know if he'd allow it.

Llewen Merrick

• Sip
The pain from the wolf's vicious bite was searing through Llewen's body so hotly he thought he might lose control. Yet he could not succumb to it, for they were in the woods in the evening with no supplies and no way to survive the night, especially as the snow kept falling. Llewen didn't know the extent of the injury, and proceeded to try to continue on as if it weren't a concern. He sheathed his sword and approached his new subject.

"I'm fine, Tabitha," he said, clearly. He was touched by her concern, and noticed that she had shed the blanket in the chaos, her body being covered in snow. By this point his cloth armguard was almost dripping with blood, but they needed to continue. "We need to move--I don't know if you've ever been out of the city at night in a winter storm, but we are not safe here. We must reach Castle Merrick. It is not too far from here and Rosemary can take us. Now, let's get that blanket back for you and ride, swiftly!"

He started running, the adrenaline finding purchase and speeding his movements. The snow crunched until he made it to the blanket, calling Rosemary and bringing her over to Tabitha. He offered to help her up again, offering his good arm and preparing to help her up. Once she'd done so, he'd try to climb on as well, but as he did so he cried out in pain as the strain on his wrist flared in excruciating pain, in residual waves after he had finally mounted Rosemary. He still found the strength to click his tongue and urge Rosemary onward, once again at a canter--they had no time to waste, and they would have to sort out Rosemary getting sick or tired later.

• Stressed
Tabitha had concern etched across her face as she watched him. He was hurt, and she was useless to help currently. She wanted to help him, but it seemed as if he wasn't going to allow it currently. She bit her lip as he said he was fine. She didn't argue, but she wrung her hands with worry.

The adrenaline had made her unaware of how cold she actually was, but as the excitement left her body she felt the shiver return, nearly making it impossible to to move. Her teeth were chattering, and she merely waited for his return with the blanket. It was all she could do.

He returned with horse and blanket in tow, and she unwillingly took his offer for help getting back on. She didn't want to hurt him further, but she didn't think she could get on herself at this point. She stiffly clambered up with his aid, and he followed suit, not without trouble. He cried out in pain and she tried to help steady him as he mounted.

They were off at a canter and she put her arms around his waist for balance. Her head grew foggy, and she slumped against him, her eyes closing. Her grip on his waist loosend as the cold sunk into her very bones. She didn't even know what she was saying when she finally spoke. "You'd be better off leaving me behind Llewen." With that, her eyes closed all the way and she fell into a slumber she was sure she wouldn't wake from.

Llewen Merrick

The gloom around them was starting to get quite dark; it was one of the worst parts of being in a snowstorm. He had a torch, somewhere, but faintly in the distance Llewen could see the lights gleaming from Castle Merrick. He didn't know how far they were, but he would have to fight through the pain in his arm regardless so that he and Tabitha didn't die of exposure. He figured the blanket would at least stop more snow from falling on Tabitha's almost pitiful form, but that didn't stop Llewen from being frightful when she slumped against him, almost going limp.

Damn, he thought. Damn!!

"Ride, Rosemary! May your valiant spirit carry us to the Castle! Hyah!"

He urged Rosemary into a full gallop, a dangerous speed to be going when the ground was so slick, and the jostling from the palfrey's movement was quite jarring. In a moment of quick thinking, Llewen took his belt off and used it to wrap Tabitha to him, her form thankfully thin enough that he could pull her close. Through the flurry of snow and the darkness they sped onward, hooves stamping the ground and leaving powder in their wake. After what seemed like an eternity in moments, they reached the open gate of the castle, where Llewen quickly unfastened the belt, cast it aside, and hopped off his horse. It wasn't the first time he'd done this, and his thoughts returned to the night he met Derugonia under similar circumstances. His arm hurt too much to cradle her, so without checking to see if she was even awake he propped her onto his shoulders like a potato sack and began to carry her into the castle, not checking on Rosemary.

He burst through the doors and made his way to the great hall. He must have seemed a sight, but only Landis was there to greet them.

"Landis, I don't think we have much time, but please stable Rosemary, she needs her rest."

Landis agreed, as Llewen sat down with Tabitha. At first he laid her on the rug directly in front of the fireplace, and again without checking, he ran to the closest room he could find that had a blanket, and quickly returned with it, covering her before finally checking to see if she was still awake. The searing pain in his arm had returned, but for the moment he could bear it. He didn't know if that would last.

"Tabitha?" he asked, getting closer to her, ready to check her breathing if she didn't respond.

Tabitha couldn't hear sounds, feel the jostling of the horse beneath her. That was all she could do. She couldn't feel the biting of the cold anymore, she was just numb. Her breathing slowed a bit and her arms fell to her sides.

It seemed something kept her in place and not falling off of..what was her name again? The name of the horse was out of reach and she tried grasping it, but just thinking to much made her head hurt.

She was in and out of consciousness for the remainder of their ride. Visions of her brother made her mumble to him in the cold and the dark. When they reached the castle, she did not know it. She only felt Llewen remove her and carry her inside. She had passed out before he had set her down.

At Llewen calling her name, she opened her eyes slightly, they were bleary and unfocused. Tabitha half-heartedly reached for him. "Your arm Llewen." Her voice still held concern for him as she let her arm drop, and her eyes closed. Still, she was not fully asleep yet.

Llewen Merrick

Llewen laughed; she was still worried about his arm. He supposed anyone might be; his cloth armguard was stained dark red with his blood and he'd yet to remove it to see the extent of the damage from the wolf bite. Still, she was right: he needed to dress it, which was an unsettling proposition to say the least. But Tabitha was the focus of his concern right now. He supposed that if she did pass, it wouldn't be the worst thing as they could find other maids and stablemasters, but her story had caused Llewen to get attached to her, and his heart grew heavy with worry over her state.

"I think milady needs some rest," Llewen said. "But first milady should eat and drink. I will have Landis fetch us some warm stew from the kitchen. Can you sit up?" he asked. He reached behind her head. "I'll help you up." If she accepted he'd help her at least sit by the fire's warmth, and if she was still too tired, he'd help her up anyway so he could wake her when the stew arrived.

Llewen knew Landis would be concerned and see his arm, but Llewen was still too worried about Tabitha to care. Who wouldn't do the same in his shoes? She was desperate, as desperate as he was, and he'd potentially led her to an early grave. He bade Landis to get them some stew, which, after a few minutes Landis returned with, ready to give to Llewen and Tabitha at their command. Llewen took the stew, holding the bowl gingerly in his hand as small wisps of steam floated off the top.

"Here, Tabitha. You must eat," he said. He figured she hadn't had much time learning to survive, having been a court dweller and city dweller, and Llewen knew too well the dangers the winter brought. She could survive, he figured, if she could eat and rest, but that might be more of a process than Llewen was prepared for. After all, he was no doctor, just a knight with a rudimentary understanding of how to survive the elements, and even now he was neglecting his own health for hers...

Tabitha lay where she was placed, unmoving. She could feel the texture of the carpet, and the fire on her skin. Her eyes remained closed, and her breathing was shallow.

If she died tonight, at least she wasn't alone. Llewen was new to her, but she was already growing to care about him after their conversations of earlier. It would okay with her if she died while he was here.

She opened her eyes slowly, they were still blurry and she couldn't seem to focus on anything. Her answer was a soft mumble as she turned her head. "If you could help, please." She felt guilty about asking for his help, he'd done so much already. Why was he trying so hard?

He helped to sit her up, and small whimper escaped her lips. The fire was making her skin prickle painfully as she warmed up, her body ached. She never wanted to feel like this again. She was resting all her weight on him as he held her, incapable of doing it herself for the time being.

Llewen offered her the stew, and she gave a slow nod as he encouraged her to eat, though even that seemed like a huge task. As the broth touched her lips, she swallowed its warmth gratefully. If she had had the strength she would have devoured it in seconds. She could only take what was offered.

"Thank you again, for helping me. I'm sorry for being such a burden to you." She was feeling a bit better after some time, the stew helping her immensely. She looked up at him, sadness in her grey eyes. She didn't want to be a burden for him, not after he had already done so much.

She sat up on her own gingerly, looking away from him as she felt a bit of shame wash over her as she caught sight of his arm. "I'm okay, you need to take care of that. Please." She begged it of him softly, she would be upset if she was the reason it got infected.

Llewen Merrick

Llewen took Tabitha easily into his side, her gaunt form not much of an issue for him in terms of weight, as he was fit and strong from his youth and experience. The fireplace made their interaction seem more intimate, and perhaps it was an intimate moment, but Llewen mostly felt compassion for her. She seemed to almost mirror the state of his soul, a more physical manifestation: desperate, penniless, cold, and alone. He thought maybe if he could help her, maybe he could help himself.

As Landis returned with the stew, he cracked a joke: "Lord Merrick, shall I set up a cot near the fireplace so the next time you rescue a maiden from a blizzard you can perhaps at least take the time to dress your wounds? It would seem this is becoming a regular occurrence!"

Llewen laughed at this, looking up to his steward who, as always, was sporting rugged and functional clothing for the winter weather and bearing his distinctive curved sword on his hip, a saber with a thick taper at the end. Llewen reached up at took the stew from him, saying: "I suppose if 2 is plenty, then House Merrick now has a bountiful harvest of maidens. It would seem they crop up during snowstorms!"

He looked down to his arm, which he knew Landis had no doubt noticed at this point. "Ah, Landis, could you fetch me some bandages? It would seem the women of Mardania are quite feral--a fact we all should perhaps take heed of--and this one got feisty when I fed her some cake in Mardus. Biting the hand that feeds--how shameful! Truly my mercy knows no bounds."

Landis smiled back at Llewen, but Llewen knew he was suppressing laughter because Llewen's injury looked quite serious, even if he was joking just now.

Llewen looked back to Tabitha, offering her the stew by holding the bowl for her while she ate.

"Thank you again, for helping me. I'm sorry for being such a burden to you."

"It was my father's wish that these lands be reclaimed, and protected," Llewen said. "In the name of my father, I must protect these lands and all who would come to them seeking refuge. It is my duty, milady, as it is now yours to serve me. It is by doing our duty that we may prosper in these harsh lands, impoverished as we are. But there is much food and fire here, and you will always find that warmth at my hearth."

Tabitha had time to finish the bowl of stew before Landis returned with bandages and stitching equipment. Llewen sighed, knowing the terrible pain he felt was about to get a lot worse. He finally undid the knots tying the armguard to him, letting it drop to the ground and revealing a series of deep punctures and tears in his skin that seared in pain as they left the covering of the armguard. His arm was stained dark red with his own blood, and Llewen was thankful he'd survived such an injury thus far. He looked to Landis.

"I know you'll want to help, Landis, but I need to be able to at least apply the bandages myself. As for the stitching, well..."

He grimaced, nodding to Landis in acceptance, who then got down on his knees and began to stitch the deeper tears in his skin. The pain was excruciating, making Llewen cry out as hot searing sensations shot through his body. This went on for about 10 minutes or so, Llewen losing track of time until Landis tied the final stitch.

"You made it that painful on purpose," Llewen said, bitter from the procedure.

Landis simply smiled in return, gathering his equipment. "If his Lordship finds such procedures unbearable, perhaps he shouldn't bring home stray women." He then went to wash and return the equipment, leaving bandages for Llewen to wrap his wounds.

As he started to wrap them, he looked back to Tabitha, feeling a sudden sense of shame. "I am sorry you had to see that, milady," he said, looking back to his wound as he wrapped. "A Lord should always be strong for his subjects. I cannot abide weakness..."

He trailed off, hoping she wouldn't think less of him in this state. Her opinion of him mattered more to him than he was willing to admit, for being a stranger still.

Tabitha was finally feeling more like herself, the cold was starting to leave her bones. Llewen held the bowl steady for her as she ate and she ate as much of the rich stew as her stomach could handle, which despite her hunger, was not a lot.

She finally lifted her head and took in the room. It was simple, but comfortable. It felt like home. She was growing a bond to Llewen, he was good. You didn't find much good in the world, and he was. She was happy she would get to rest her head here, and get to know him more.

His man had cracked jokes that she did not understand, but she was hesitant to ask about it. It seemed something similar had happened, and that's all she needed to know. She was just glad she was warm.

Tabitha finished her stew as Landis began preparations to help Llewen with his wound. She blushed and looked away from the two as they jested, feeling like the butt of the joke. She was quick to turn back, wanting to see the extent of the injury for herself too.

She winced in sympathy as he undid his arm guard and fresh blood oozed from the gashes as he revealed the extent of the injury. Landis began to stitch, and Llewen crying out made her own eyes begin to get hot with tears.

She wanted to take his good hand in hers and give him comfort, though she knew it to be too forward. Still the ache to comfort him was there. Finally Landis finished and she ducked her head again at his jest.

Llewen began the process of dressing the wound and she looked at him softly again. At his words, she gave him a sad smile. "You can't be strong all the time. I won't breathe a word, I promise." It was her own little tease, and she hoped he took it as such. "A great leader is one that is willing to share emotion with his people. In my opinion."

She watched him wrap the bandages quietly for a moment, and she fidgeting with her hands. "I for one think very highly of you thus far, Milord. You were brave taking on that wolf, and you saved me. I owe you my life. Thank you." She still wanted to reach for him in seeking comfort for them both, but fear of his reaction kept her from it. Instead, she continued to fidget.

Llewen Merrick

• Cthuulove
Llewen might have noticed that Tabitha was fidgeting if he wasn't so fixated on his strangely futile attempts to get his bandages on. As it happened, it was something Llewen was still learning how to do his lack of experience really showed as he tried to wrap his wound, only for it to come loose. He turned to Tabitha.

"Milady, can you help tie this bandage? I can't seem to get it tight only using one arm."

He presented his wounded arm to her as well as the bandages, looking a bit sheepish for once.

"Landis will be cross if he finds out; he says this is something I need to know as a knight. He says that about a lot of things that I don't always see an immediate use for."

He braced himself, for he was young and was not used to being injured. Then again, maybe that's not something someone ever got used to.

"It needs to be tight," Llewen added. "If I cry out, please ignore me."

• Cthuulove
Tabitha continued to watch Llewen as he attempted to bandage himself. He seemed to be struggling a bit, and she bit her lip as she restrained herself from jumping in to help.

It was almost a relief when he asked for her help, and she was eager to assist. "Of course I'll help Milord." She gave him a soft smile and kneeled before him to begin her work.

"Well I won't tell Landis if you won't." She met his sheepish look with a mischievous one. She had definitely perked up since having her belly full. She already felt more energy than she had in ages.

She studied the wound as she wrapped, her brow furrowed with worry. It looked like it hurt a lot, and she knew wrapping it would hurt to. "I'm sorry Milord, but your pain is not something I can ignore unfortunately. It brings me sorrow to think about." She made a note to check and see if they had anything from the apothecary to help with the pain.

Llewen Merrick

• Cthuulove
It was the first time he'd really gotten a chance to look at her face more closely. He could see somewhat past the dirt and grime living on the streets did to someone, and through that he could see that Tabitha's appearance was perhaps more than just conventional. If she had been homeless, as it seems she was, it was likely she was in desperate need of a wash. Yet for the moment Llewen thought she looked more the maid, and not the maiden. Still, any boy might enjoy having a girl near him like this, tending to his wounds; it was something out of a storybook.

He nodded as she got close to him and in position to help with the bandaging. She once again seemed to understand him; Landis was his steward and was rather protective of him, so he appreciated that she knew he would get an earful if Landis saw them like this. She seemed more alive now than she had ever been before, which Llewen seemed skeptical of since he'd tasted Landis' stew and thought it frankly wasn't anywhere near good enough to do that to someone. Then again, she was starving...

He exhaled sharply as she wrapped the wound. The pain was much more tolerable than the stitching, although he still burned with it since they had no salve for his suffering.

"Thank you, milady," he said. He remarked on how soft and delicate her touch felt compared to anyone he'd known.

Maybe she was really good at being a maid, he mused.

Regardless, when she was finished, he thanked her again, as his eyes caught on hers. He had to remind himself again that she was a commoner, and it was no place for him to be getting involved. He knew a marriage into nobility could save House Merrick with the right alliance, and he couldn't jeopardize that by longing over his servants. It wasn't proper for a lord.

"Tabitha," he said, catching himself as he said her actual name. "I will talk to Landis about your room and show you to it. Being that we may require your services as a maid, and that you are promised to the stables, I thought it made sense for you to sleep in one of the bedrooms here. We will make sure you are comfortable," he said with a smile.

• Cthuulove
Tabitha was bent to her task, focused and gentle. She was aware of every move her hands made, wanting to give him the least amount of pain possible. She remembered helping her brother after sparring, or running amok. It brought a wistful smile to her face as she worked.

At his heavy exhale, she paused for a moment. She was already a sensitive girl, but causing pain was not something she could tolerate. She could feel the corner of her eyes begin to water, but she continued to work, her hands ever steady despite her emotions.

Llewen thanked her, and she nodded as she finished up. "You are very welcome Milord. Though I'm sure next time you won't need my help." She finished up and when she looked up at him, she had already been staring at her. She felt a blush creep across her cheeks and she quickly looked down. "All finished Milord."

Tabitha went to stand, but she was still unsteady. She managed to catch her balance and stepped closer to the fire as he spoke. She couldn't help but smile as her name crossed his lips once more, it was becoming a habit that she did not mind.

"Wherever you see fit for me..Milord. I know it will serve me well, and that you honor your words." What she really wanted to do was strip from her garments and take a long hot bath followed by sleep.

Llewen Merrick

He was grateful for her assistance; the bandage was snugly secured to his arm now, and he felt better despite the slight pain from the consistent pressure on his wounds. It dawned on him that such a wound might take a long time to heal, even with proper care; it was his first battle scar, and he had gotten it in defense of maiden, a detail which wasn't wasted on the young knight. At least, not entirely anyway.

As always, her words were polite and her mannerisms demure. He wondered if all maids acted as such. Landis finally returned, pleased to see that Llewen's bandaging was finished. Llewen issued his request to him.

"Landis, I think our guest deserves some of the few comforts Castle Merrick has to offer. Could you draw up a bath for her and prepare some fresh clothes? I fear even with the warmth of our hearth, her frame is so thin she might still expire if the wind picks up again."

Landis nodded at his request.

"I should also like a bedroom prepared with an extra blanket for her, so that she may last the night when the fire dies down. As a personal favor to me, I should also like that you have a warm stew ready for her throughout the night in case she needs it for her strength."

Landis nodded again. "Yes, my lord. It will be done as you say." Landis then turned to Tabitha. "Forgive me, milady, I did not mean offense with my earlier banter. It reflects far more on Lord Llewen and his bizarre tastes for bringing estranged women to the castle than it does on milady," he said, shooting a side glance at Llewen. "But I will gladly follow my lord's will, and you shall have your bath and fresh clothes shortly. Unlike Lord Llewen, milady may keep her dignity this evening, even when her host is so rude as to not warn his steward before such guests arrive. His lordship is also certainly aware of the impropriety of bringing young women such as milady to the castle at such hours, but alas for the good lady that Lord Merrick is not privy to such mores."

Llewen admitted he had a really bad habit of bringing people to the castle at strange hours, so Landis' remark was at least somewhat warranted. He'd seen that Tabitha was struggling to stand, and so offered, his uninjured hand to her. "Milady, do you need my aid in reaching the bath? I can at least walk with you, if you won't accept my hand for dignity's sake."

Tabitha was slightly overwhelmed. It had been a long time, too long without the comforts of home. Llewen was offering her so much comfort and care, she almost couldn't comprehend it.

Landis came back, and Llewen was giving him a slew of direction, and her head was swimming just from the kindness of it. She began to fidget with her hands again, wringing them as she fretted.

Orders were give, and received, and she stood quietly. She looked at Landis as he finally addressed her, giving him a small formal nod of her head, but it was all she could muster. "Lord Merrick and I happened to run into each other by luck. I'm deeply grateful for his hospitality. Though I know this has not been exactly conventional, I do know that I will serve him and his house well. I do apologize for they way we had to meet, it was not ideal for anyone." She cast a sideways glance at Llewen as she spoke again.

"I appreciate the extra effort you are extending on my behalf, I will take it to heart, and I will hopefully be able to repay it in kind." The formality of it all was very taxing, but a necessity. She was not fully aware that she might not sound like a commoner brat, but she was to tired to tiptoe around it.

As she swayed, Llewen offered his hand to her. She dropped her gaze to his hand, and then glanced up to meet his gaze. Heat went across her cheeks again, a seemingly familiar thing every time their eyes met. Was it embarrassment or attractive she could not discern. She took his hand hesitantly, and nodded. It was not the normal thing for him to offer, it should have been Landis assisting. Still she accepted. "I don't think I'd make it without help, unfortunately Milord. Your company is welcome."

Llewen Merrick

As Tabitha offered her hand, Llewen took her and allowed her to half-rest on his shoulder, beginning to walk with her through the castle. It would be a few minutes before the bath was ready, but Llewen's primary concern is that she would get lost within some of its winding halls. The halls themselves were, without the warmth of the fire, rather cold, but there was a warm bath waiting at the end of their trek.

He hadn't noticed her cheeks flush as he took her on his shoulder for support. Such acts of kindness were commonplace in such a climate, and although Llewen sensed he had dealt her a great mercy, he was ignorant of any other implications his kindness towards her might imply. He once again remarked at how light her frame was, and he hoped that in time she would not appear so gaunt.

"Milady, I know it may take you many days to recover from this journey. Castle Merrick is equipped to house you until such time. Please, for my sake--don't push yourself. Life is fragile enough here as it is, and I cannot abide you pushing yourself in such a way."

He offered her a gentle smile that only the kindness of someone who had lost everything could give. Eventually, they reached the bathroom, where Landis had started a small fire to warm the water. Clothes were already laid out and ready to go on a small shelf. The bath itself was a wooden tub with a small seat that could be place into it if desired. Landis had drawn the curtain on the room's large window, where the water would normally be dumped out when the process was finished. The curtain was thick and should prevent all but the most vicious of drafts from entering the room. Finally, the door had a visible latch and a doorstop to prevent undesired entry.

The bath was finished, and even Llewen was aware of such a cue.

"I take my leave of you, milady," he said. "I shall await you in the great hall." He gave her a small bow, then turned his back to leave with Landis.

The pain in his arm was returning. How bad it would get, he wasn't quite sure.

Tabitha was grateful of Llewen's help, he let her rest against him a bit. It helped keep her balance, and frankly it felt nice to be close to someone. She hadn't felt this welcome in a long time, and it made her smile to herself.

It was much colder in the halls, she already missed the warmth of the fire. Still, the bath called to her and she couldn't ignore its siren call. She looked down at herself as Llewen addressed her tiny frame, and it was if she was seeing herself for the first time. She was thin, scarily thin. She hoped a home and consistent meals would help with that soon enough.

Tabitha nodded slightly as he spoke. "I will do best to rest and recover, if that is what Milord bids me to do." She had seen servants deathly ill being forced to work, and she was glad he was not like that.

They reached the bath, and she couldn't wait to shed her rags and sink under the water. Llewen relased his grip on her, and she turned to him as he made to leave. "Thank you Milord, your generosity knows no bounds. I shall find you when I'm finished."

Just like that, she was alone as both Llewen and Landis left her to her devices. With a sigh. She pulled her garments off. They would need to be burned, and so she left them in a heap on the floor.

Tabitha slipped into the wooden tub, a sigh escaping her as the water slid over her skin. Unfortunately she did not have time to relax. She needed to scrub her skin and hair before the water got to murky. So she set to work. Cleaning every bit of her body, scrubbing her skin and scalp until they were raw.

She rinsed the suds from her pale skin and red curls. It felt nice to be clean after all this time. She finished, stepping from the bath and wrapping herself up with the linen that was folded nearby.

After sufficiently drying her skin and hair, she moved to where her new clothes awaited. She slipped on a long sleeved cotton gown. It was soft enough, the pale blue of the fabric hanging loosely on her thin frame. It would do well enough.

She ran her fingers through her hair, pulling tangles free and smoothing it out as best she could. Satisfied, she went to go find Llewen in the great hall.

The hour had grown late by the time Tabitha had entered her bath. Llewen and Landis made their way about halfway to the Great Hall before he stopped Landis to speak with him.

"I grow weary of the evening, and I would like to nurse this wound, Landis. Could you meet Tabitha in the great hall and show her to her room? I would be more hospitable but this wound taxes me greatly. Tell her I shall speak to her on the morrow regarding her duties. If she asks for food, please accommodate her."

Landis agreed to the request; it wasn't that late yet, and it was a decently frequent occurrence that Llewen would retire to his bedchamber to contemplate his situation and honor the memory of his parents. The two parted ways. Llewen's room was in between the bath and the great hall, in a central location of the castle itself. He immediately took off the remainder of his armor--armguards, chain shirt, and cloth padding beneath--and stripped fully down to his white trousers. He rubbed his hands over his face, exhaling deeply as he pored over his room for a moment to collect himself. He was tired, in no small part thanks to the wound he'd sustained, but there was one thing he needed to do before going to sleep, which was a small ritual he'd do every night in honor of his parents. In one hand he took his father's sword and presented it horizontally to the small tapestry with the crest of House Merrick, the white griffin on a green backdrop. Next, he would normally take a book of stories his mother used to read to him and present it as well, but as he went to do so, the storybook put strain on his wounds, causing Llewen to cry out in pain, dropping the book entirely. The book was fine, and so too was the sword when Llewen cast it aside, but immediately he began sobbing, his weeping both loud and frequent.

What am I even doing? he thought to himself. He'd saved a peasant girl, and now he'd functionally lost the use of his left arm. This was disastrous because it meant Llewen could no longer do much of the work he normally needed to, including helping to fell trees to reclaim the land he desperately needed if he was going to pay his taxes on time. More importantly, Llewen felt like a failure for putting his knightly vows before the practicality of his station. If the wolf had killed him, things would have been even worse, both for Tabitha and his estate. Why had he made such a foolish mistake?

In his exhausted state, Llewen had forgotten to close the door to his room entirely, leaving it cracked, and his sobbing could be heard through the halls as one passed by...