Completed Friendsgiving 3.0

Zinnia slid down the side of the tree and frog-sat on the ground. She clasped a hand across her own chest and tried to steady her breathing. The effects of the magic macaroni hadn't left her yet, and she very much wished that it had. Regardless, she had been shocked into a bit more lucidity than before.

"Iiiii...didn't think you were gon' eat me, Vasha..." She replied, shame in her eyes, still slurring her words somewhat. "E'rryone arready knows 'bout your...lizard. Mos' the kids don' care...hhhheck, some even llllike you cuz of that whole thing. Iiii...I envy that."

Zinnia grew quiet for a moment. Her eyes met the ground, which wiggled and crawled in neon highlights as the strings of lanterns cast their soft, flickering light on the outskirts of the party. The girl's arms wrapped around her own head and she drew her knees into her chest.
"Nnno one can know 'bout me. Not really. If...if the wrong persssuhn finds out, then..." Zinnia tucked her head down further as she spoke the truth of the matter. The last of her thoughts came unfettered by slurring or stuttering. "They'll make me disappear forever."

Vasha Drurcius

The music stopped, and though they themselves had stopped too, it seemed to be an unconscious act. Caught up in what was being said, likely more by what was not being said, both Caeso and Lumen held the pose of the dance's final moment: clasped hands held up on one side, Lumen's other hand on his shoulder and Caeso's other hand on her back.

"Yes," Caeso said levelly. He still found it difficult to believe that his father Sabian could be proud, not after the Academy informed him of Quinctus's death. Yet he was, the smear of "kinslayer" which could readily be applied to Caeso now seeming to hold no sway—if anything, Sabian's letters conveyed a sense that he was even more favorable of him since.

After graduation, when he could face his father in person again, Caeso resolved to coax from Sabian how he truly felt about what happened. But until then there was one assured fact.

"He wishes the successor to the Diemut name to be worthy in all respects. Such is the quintessential essence of nobility—that of expectation."

Then came the part that stung deeply for him, yet the flow of conversation washed in this direction regardless.

"Your brothers...have you been able to keep correspondence with them?"

Lumen

Soleil apparently let Corvus's first question rest as rhetorical. For now.

"No hint. Yet. Same game! Me? Two hints, like you."

A finger detached from the hand which dangled off of Corvus's shoulder, tapped at her chin in a very performative way, visibly counting out the beats of her thoughts, and then the finger floated back and reattached.

"Ella," she said. "Why? Revealing dress at Ball. Average bust suddenly interesting! Word gets around. For boys not there? *hic!* Fantasy fills in gap. Average bust? Suddenly enormous, in their minds! You? Naughty thoughts! Of *hic!* course!"

Corvus Azura

Corvus laughed light-heartedly and shook his head.

"Well, I'm glad to see that I am not the MOST shallow person in your eyes. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy an above-average bust and I did see it, but I would not call her my number one."

To be honest, any woman could wear revealing clothing, and at the Academy, they were all going to look great, because they were all relatively athletic. That meant there had to be a little something more besides bust or figure.

"Nice try though. Now, the hint right? She is older."

Soleil Verdane

• Yay
Reactions: Soleil Verdane
Soleil trilled her tongue, eyes alighting with the hint of many thoughts, considerations, and calculations all running through her head. Maybe, even, a look of pure enjoyment in them. Fun from playing the game, trying to figure out something obscure, something which she could observe but could not herself know.

"Liliana," was her next guess. Soleil put down her glass on the table and touched Corvus's hair, running her hand along it as if she were painting. "Her? Blonde hair. You? *hic!* Like blonde hair! Also you? Noble. Not 'peasant.' Liliana dislikes 'peasants.' You? Have chance! Unless Liliana likes girls. Then screwed."

Soleil tilted her head back let off more of that musical laughter. She would've fallen off of Corvus's lap if not for her arm around his shoulder and his hand around her waist.

Corvus Azura

• Haha
Reactions: Vasha Drurcius
Vasha blinked twice, staring at Zinnia now and unable to look away. She was startled- startled at how similar they were, and yet, she felt it was like looking in a mirror at what she could have been, if she hadn't gone down the path she did. An opposite, yet not.

How she used to be- small, afraid, hiding in a corner. Until they beat that out of her.

Zinnia would hear a soft crunch as Vasha's weight shifted, and then felt something warm press against her side as the other girl sat down next to her. Her voice lowered- only for her ears and hers alone. "Some care. Some thon'th. Some like ith- bu'...They'th make me thissapear thoo, if they knew wha' I am." she gestured slightly if Zinnia looked up. "Thell you a secre'... I thon't care wha' my theath comes from. I'm afraith of when ith happens. Because if ith happens before I can achieve my goal, then my enthire life is meaningless. Tha' is why I figh' so much. Why I go thoo far somethimes."

Her gaze slid to Zinnia. "You thon' have tho thell me anything. Bu'...maybe think about wha' you wan' tho tho, going forwar'. Give yourself a goal of some kinth, if you thon'th already have one. Ith helps you keep going. An', maybe to help rethuce tha' worry of getthing caugh', wear something other than a hooth. Ith's easy to knock off." she elbows her lightly.

"True, I do like blonde hair...I would like to get to know her, but sadly...still not my number 1. And let me add, I like all the other hair colors too."

Honestly, Soleil was throwing out some good ideas. He should go speak with Liliana at some point...Well, she did tend to keep some pretty...clingy minions. Nobles were great, but a peasant was nice for a night out or two...Although, his sister had always yelled at him for things like that.

"Final hint...She is a perfect mix of power, grace, and heart." He said wistfully as he was apparently remembering some moment.

He was drawn from his wistful memory as he felt Soleil nearly fall. He pulled her in tightly, and he could not help but noticed her body give slightly as if she might just slip through his hand, but then she was back.

Soleil Verdane

Power. Grace. And Soleil blanked at the last part of the second clue, smiling still and keeping her inebriated stare steady nonetheless. Some small clue in his tone to compensate, though?

Soleil was pulled in closer, and her head swayed slightly with the gentle motion.

She thought for a while longer, weighing her options.

"Proctor D'Amour," she said. "Older? Yes. Hair color? Doesn't matter. Bust? Not small! Proctor D'Amour? Very powerful. Magic requires agility. Her? Became Proctor not long ago. You? Craving for girls begin. Not long ago. Timeline fits."

Corvus Azura

Her hand shifted on his shoulder just slightly. She made no move to break apart even as the music failed to start back up. Behind them the band was beginning to break up. The lute player looking very relieved to be going home.

He wishes the successor to the Diemut name to be worthy in all respects. Such is the quintessential essence of nobility—that of expectation.

"That is a lot of weight to go onto one person's shoulders, Caeso." A quiet remark. Still, she was glad to hear that he'd kept up correspondence with his father. His sister. She didn't know the details about what happened a few years ago other than he went on a mission with his brother and only one came back.

Lumen couldn't imagine losing one of her siblings.

A warm smile that seemed to lighten her face at his next question. "Yes. We exchange letters almost every week and since the revolution. I've been able to see them when I'm not away on missions." Keeping in touch with them was one thing, getting their hugs and seeing their faces was priceless. Taking a breath, she looked around. The party was dying down and in her mind, even with everything that happened with the rumors around the mac and cheese. Soliel and Corvus. Calvin Calhoun. She'd mark this night as a success.

"Caeso, you surprise me. Thanks for the dance," leaning in, she'd kiss him lightly on each cheek before pulling away.

What Vasha really was? Was that not known? Were they even more alike than Zinnia realized, or were they something altogether different? These were questions that would have troubled even a sober Zinnia, but...there was some comfort to be taken from Vasha leaning up against her. Zinnia did look up, and she took in the words as best she could given her state.

Eventually, as Vasha finished, Zinnia sighed, and cast her gaze downwards again.
"I do care. I w-want to die for Vel Anir, n-not by it. I love this p-place, I love all of you," Zinnia said softly, gesturing to the party, to everyone around. "The Academy g-gave me a h-home...a family...I d-don't want that taken away..."

She squeezed her eyes shut and allowed a few tears to stream down her cheeks. She felt the elbow bump into her and couldn't help but let a weak smile show through.
"Th-thank you...I'll k-keep that in mind." She replied glancing up at Vasha, and for a single blink, easily missed, Vasha would look back upon vertical, slit-pupils inside Zinnia's gold irises. One blink and they were round once more, and Zinnia felt a wave of nausea hit her. "I...ohhhh no. I thhhhink I should go lay d-down. Ughh..."

"You're kin'er than they theserve..." a small, pained smile touched Vasha's lips and for a moment sat quietly. Even despite all the pain that was inflicted on her, Zinnia considered this place her family? Her home? Vasha bit her tongue hard as she looked to the others. Remembered a better time when life was simpler, comfortable, and happy. A woman dancing with a small child- a man looking on fondly.

She didn't flinch. In fact, she didn't move at all as that image changed. Flickering thoughts of a dull, gray room. A cold hand clasped in her own. A breath fading... and not coming back.

A door slamming shut and men screaming at each other.

Her chest ached, and she shoved it somewhere deep out of the light of day. She had no family. She'd lost that the day her mother died.

Slowly, Vasha's gaze slid back down to the girl next to her as Zinnia spoke again; the warmth of her classmate grounding her. Her brows drew together slightly, and then relaxed- maybe she'd just been seeing things. But as Zinnia suddenly turned a little green, Vasha hummed and moved to stand, offering her an arm. "Nee' a hanth back tho your room?"

Though Caeso despised the Revolution, he had to admit that in this particular instance it had changed things for the better. The birthright of noble blood bestowed many privileges, yet it should never have been so that the exceptions for correspondence were allowed for them but not the lowborn Initiates. That Lumen was at last able to keep in contact with her family was naught but a good thing.

She kissed him on his cheeks. A polite gesture, not uncommon in greeting and parting (though it certainly stood out with some significance here in the Academy). In the fashion of a nobleman, though this was his first occasion to actually perform the gesture himself, he gently took one of Lumen's hands and lifted it and kissed the back.

"And grateful am I to have had the pleasure of being your partner upon this stage," he said. "May you have a pleasant night, Lumen."

He guided her hand back down until it came free from his, and with a parting smile and bow, he turned and began to make his way toward the illuminated arch, seeking to retire for the night.

Lumen

• Stressed
  • Cthuulove
Reactions: Zinnia and Lumen
Another weak smile was offered at Vasha's words.
"S-so are yyyyooo--oh gods--you. Soareyou." She intoned between the waves of warping reality around her. Staying focused was becoming more and more difficult. Sleeping this off was definitely going to be a necessity. Really, though--Vasha was far nicer than Zinnia had expected. She hoped she'd remember all of this in the morning.

Zinnia took the offered hand gratefully and woozily got herself back to her feet.
"I thhhhink, um. Y-yeah. At least ssssooo I don't get distracted and s-say something stupid to annnnyone else."

Vasha didn't comment on the first statement, remaining a bit quiet now outside of a small nod to Zinnia as she got up. And with that, the pale girl guided Zinnia back toward the dorms. Careful to keep an eye out in case they were tailed by the troublemakers, but otherwise not seeing much else of issue, she'd wait until the smaller girl made it into her room at least.

"...Geth some sleep. Closing the curthains migh' help with the wooziness." she mumbled, before turning away. She didn't quite know what to think after Zinnia's comment, and was withdrawing a bit to try and process that.

Kind? Her?... Vasha didn't really think she could deny it, but it made a funny feeling curl up in her gut. Worse still, it caused a small, nagging worry to take shape.

What kind of consequences could arise, if others were attached to her when she achieved her goal?

• Cry
Reactions: Zinnia
Craving for girls? He wasn't looking at him like they were some piece of meat. Ok, maybe sometimes, but he tried not to.

He smirked and then nodded vigorously, the first signs of inebriation beginning to show on his face.

"You got me. She looks great and she is powerful, but the most important part. She is the perfect combination of 'I care about your problems' and 'I would squash you like a bug if I had too.' That is the perfect woman."

Yeah, she was a bit older, but that did not matter much to Corvus. Adults were adults, so let them love who they wanted to.

"Of course, there are many on my list, but she takes the top by a very close margin."

Soleil Verdane

Corvus had to move his head slightly to stop Soleil from poking him in the eye, but he just smiled.

"Alright, deal. What did you have in mind?"

At this point, Corvus was beginning to feel more relaxed. So if what he had to do something special for Soleil. That could only be fun, right?

What was the worst that could happen?

Soleil Verdane

When his lips brushed the back of her hand, she couldn't help those little tingles that shot along her skin. What was getting into her? She was involved - kindasorta - with someone. And of all initiates, she never saw Caeso being remotely interested in someone like her, someone not of noble blood.

And perhaps he wasn't.

He was just probably being polite.

Yeah, yeah, that was it. Still, she was proud how he'd done with the dance. While it had been a rocky-stiff start, it smoothed out like the polish on her armor. Tawny-eyes watched as he retreated off the fields. Lumen would stay a bit longer and make sure everyone got back safely. Help clean up. Stepping off the stage, she made her way over to the feast table, giving Soliel and Corvus their space as she began cleaning up what was left behind.

Soleil knew that there was something else she should have asked for. Something which would have produced an advantage later. Something calculated.

But instead...after what happened with Aelita after being trapped in the rain, Soleil's curiosity got the better of her.

She smiled. Though it was strangely unsure. As if she wasn't quite certain of what she was asking, or perhaps in the very act of asking she was doing something incorrectly.

"Give gift," she said. "Find gift, give gift. To me."

Corvus Azura

• Aww
  • Nervous
Reactions: Aelita and Lumen
Oh, uh, that had not been what he was expecting for her winning prize, but he just chuckled and nodded along.

"Ok, do you have any gift ideas? And a time limit?"

If he did not have to give this gift until three years from now, then...well, to be honest, he would probably forget about it for a long time.

"Like do you just want a new sword or something, or something a bit more impressive?"

Soleil Verdane

• Thoughtful
Soleil looked even more unsure with the follow-up question. She had on multiple occasions attempted to give gifts to other Initiates herself, but these gifts were all quite literally just whatever she could find—a dropped Elbion tolaro coin, a smooth rock, an extra strawberry. The whole process confounded her. She couldn't conceive of someone giving someone else something they might actually want—that would confer an advantage onto the recipient, not the giver, and if no advantage was gained by the giver than why were gifts even given to begin with?

"I don't know," she said, her smile at odds with the placid confusion swirling in her sunbathed eyes.

She hiccupped.

"Me? Hoping you would know."

Soleil had, inadvertently, struck upon something quintessentially feminine.

Corvus Azura

Corvus shook his head fighting to stop a laugh from escaping from his lips. It just goes to show that no matter how weird Soleil was, she was still just a girl at the end of the day.

"Alright, I'll figure something out. Got to make sure it's a surprise."

By now, they bottle was near empty. He grabbed at it and finished the rest of it with a sigh. His cheeks were at full blush as the amount of alcohol he had consumed fully began to set it.

Some normal girl that he was trying to impress into the city would just smile if he gave her a dress, but Soleil would probably throw that away. A Dreadlord girl would normally like a sword or some weapon, but that did not seem right for Soleil.

Soleil Verdane

• Yay
The feast was finished.

Initiates were all filtering back toward the dorm rooms in various states of fullness, drunkenness, or..."affectedness," in that amusing way Zaire's surprise dish had done to them.

Lumen was cleaning up. And Soleil, being one who had lingered around, saw her opportunity to ask the question that Flavien did not answer satisfactorily.

Soleil, her still cheeks flushed from the wine, a pleasant (if a little sloppy) smile on her face, marched right up to Lumen. She had the invitation in her hand. She thrust it forward, pointing at the bottom:

xoxo Lumen

Soleil pointed explicitly to the "xoxo" portion of the closing line.

"Misspelled? What mean?"

Lumen

• Haha
Reactions: Lumen
Lumen arched a patient brow. Hands cradled a bunch of plates and leftover food. A mildly concerned look as she picked up on the alcohol levels very likely in Soliel’s sandy bloodstream.

“It’s a casual way of signing a letter. I’ll let you interpret it how you want. Do you need someone to walk with you back to the dorms?”

She didn’t feel right about letting Soliel wander off on her own with the way she was.

• Cthuloo