Fable - Ask Divan Dealings | The Empire

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first

Aivrid

...and a dozen other titles
Character Biography
Link
Tag: | The Imperial Divan | Uvogin Mago Matahari Achates Maho 'Jerik' Sparhawk Mirielle Merlon | Whoever else

It's odd that this is the first of these I've attended.

Gerra wasn't here, obviously, and Aivrid wasn't too happy about that. In truth he knew little about the affairs of the Empire, aside from what he'd gleaned from speaking with Medja, Fieravene, and Gerra in passing. The last time he'd spoken to the God Emperor was when the half-giant had requested him for a diplomatic envoy. It hadn't gone so great.

In any case, stepping into the private chamber of the Imperial Divan was a new experience. It seemed rather large, from the viewpoint of his little human form -- of course, this room could probably fit in his stomach in his true form. Not that he planned to eat it. It'd be gross. And he was only sure of one among the divan's taste.

More important was the rest of the divan. He knew all their names and faces, but past that, he knew little. His visions had shown him next to nothing of the other members. Moreover, he'd spent little time getting to know any of them aside from noblewoman of Ragash, Medja. It'd make this meeting... difficult, if politics in this chamber played out in the same way he'd seen elsewhere. Clashing goals and agendas, power grabs, whatnot. Aivrid wouldn't allow himself to be left behind in such a situation. Today, there was much to be gained.

His greed assured that when there was something to be gained, he would do whatever he could to gain it.

The first step here was to establish his dominance. If he'd simply come in his dragon form, they wouldn't need this sort of reminding... then again, some still might doubt his intellect. Once the divan had been gathered, there was a slight pause -- after all, Gerra was not present to set the agenda. Aivrid stood up, addressing the group. "There are several matters we must attend to," he began. "Most importantly, the disappearance of the Vizier of War. We will need to find him, of course, but a temporary replacement must be appointed if he is not found soon." It was time to see who among them had ambition.

"Did he not have a second-in-command?" Prince Mago's deep voice sounded from his seat, "Or has he gone missing as well."

The Prince's eldest son and heir stood just behind his seat, arms folded at his back and silent. He was listening and watching keenly, learning through observation the dealings he would one day likely inherit.

How could this happen? How could I have let this happen?

The Ragashi courtier sat in her seat with arms folded across her chest, fingers tapping impatiently at her elbows. Her usual calm had been compromised, and indeed she was something beyond furious at this point. She bit her lower lip angrily, her eyes darting about the table in front of her as if searching for a spider she'd lost sight of. This was unacceptable. Absolutely unacceptable. She had sworn to be the one to resolve this ordeal and now it had reached the peak of fubar.

"Did he not have a second-in-command?"
The mere mention of that traitorous snake made her feel as though she was about to fly into a blood rage. Her eyes snapped onto the Annuakati prince, blazing green.

"That serpent Nak'Ehim is the one responsible for this! I will have his head!" She snapped.

Mago quietly raised his brows at the woman's outburst, a thoughtful frown plying at his face. Marriage had given him plenty of practice facing the rage of a beautiful woman, but it never ceased to put him off his guard.

He cleared his throat.

"That is ... relevant information. So, does anyone know where the serpent is?"

In the stead of Ashuanar, Nak'Ehim would have been expected to appear at the meeting of the Divan. But, while some things had gone far more swimmingly than he could have hoped, it had not been perfect. At least on one end, the vizier rode directly into the loving arms of his dear sister. With their guard down, the contingent of Abtati were ambushed - and each one mercilessly murdered before the vizier's helpless eyes.

He'd recieved word just three days ago, three days after Ashuanar had departed. But in the interim he'd become privy to prying eyes far more interested in his movements than usual. Organizing an attack that day right within Ragash itself afforded him ample distraction to make his leave - though also solidified his involvement in Ashuanar's disappearance as obvious to those who had suspicion. Thankfully he had played his part well enough, and by now he was far from the city, well en route to the resistances' base camp - ruins of an ancient and forgotten temple.

He could almost hear the sound of the vizier's agony, even now.

He smiled.

Ragash

Al'Daim, captain of the Mari'kuul Sipahi sat in the place of Ashuanar. His face was twisted into a frown. He had watched the dynamic between the vizier and his lieutenant for many months now, and something about this seemed so strange. There were not many more secrets that Ashuanar knew than Nak'Ehim... to do this seemed far more, personal, than he would have imagined. But there was one thing he knew for certain, and that was he'd never trusted the sorcerer.

Something about that god damn smirk he always had on his stupid face.

"That is ... relevant information. So, does anyone know where the serpent is?"

"He hasn't been seen since the attack three days ago. It is impossible for the kind of force we saw here to gain entry without the kind of authority a vizier holds... or his right hand man, acting in his absence."

The vizier had gone out on many training excursions - he wondered what made the traitor act now.

Medja Mago Matahari Aivrid

Uvogin's helmet was placed at the edge of the table, facing inward. He quickly observed all that were present and even glanced at the empty seats. They never could get all the members of the Divan to meet at once, though that was to be expected. Uvogin, surprisingly, rarely attended any summons himself.

The matter that drew him to the meeting was rather important. Ashuanar was a valuable ally, one that (at least until now) had no apparent enemies, and his disappearance was of great concern to the captain.

Uvogin leaned on the chair's arm, chin-in-palm, and rhythmically tapped a finger on the table. As the others spoke, he would watch them in silence.

Last edited:
Tag: Mago Matahari Medja Nak'Ehim Akanamar Uvogin

She's rather... livid, isn't she?

Aivrid raised an eyebrow. Nak'Ehim... he'd been told about that particular man before. A sorcerer of sorts, second in command to Ashuanar, Vizier of War. This Nak'Ehim had decided to overthrow the Vizier and the Empire, beginning by attacking Ragash and kidnapping the Vizier. How foolish -- he might not have been caught, but his schemes had been traced back to him. Aivrid would have recommended promoting him for his ambition and cleverness, but he'd gone and ruined it.

"This council is a place for rational thought, not for emotional outbursts," the man said, glaring at Medja -- for a moment his eyes flared that familiar draconic purple, as if to remind her who had power here. There was no malice in his words, only a firm reminder of what he expected from the woman. She was an intelligent mage and courtier, and she needed to act like it. "I'm afraid I do not know our good Vizier very well, but I am aware of the group of insurgents that have decided to make themselves a nuisance." They'd been delicious. "Medja, do you know if Ashuanar may have been captured by these rebels?"

These were not terrorists or criminals, otherwise they would have sent out a message proclaiming that they had captured the Vizier -- they obviously had agents in many cities. The advantage here was more that the Empire would be without their primary military leader. Countering these rebels would be more difficult without a competent commander. Their spies were obviously failing as well; they needed to take a different approach if this Empire was to stay together. Aivrid sighed. He'd told Gerra to become a true leader, not just through combat. If the Abtati were already rebelling, something had gone wrong. He'd have to speak to the God-King soon.

"In the meantime," he said, looking over at Al'Daim, "We are in need of an interim commander. You are captain of a major force, and much of this responsibility will fall on you. Even so, I believe we need someone strong enough to properly unite our armies, given that the dissenters may have infiltrated our ranks.

"I may not be a general, but I am no stranger to war." His presence at Ninagal had tipped the odds in Gerra's favor. "I am willing to be the face of the army until Ashuanar's return. You and the other commanders will still hold all the power, of course," Aivrid assured them. Of course, he'd begin having a more active hand in military affairs, but he knew these proud warriors were still very knowledgeable about their forces and the nature of combat.

"I am willing to be the face of the army until Ashuanar's return. You and the other commanders will still hold all the power, of course,"

Unlike many of the others, Ashuanar included, Al'Daim was there. He remembered the great shadow soaring overhead, the engulfing flame that spewed from its maw. Devastating.

He nodded his head, "I understand. I shall ensure the other captains of the army are made aware as well."

He had much preferred taking orders from a fellow Abtati, but he was hardly one to stand in question of a dragon.

Aivrid Medja Mago Matahari Uvogin

"Medja, do you know if Ashuanar may have been captured by these rebels?"
The courtier sighed deeply. The dragon was right. She needed to get a grip, that much was certain. No temper tantrums were going to resolve this issue. If anything was to be made to work, cooler heads would need to prevail.

"I'm certain of it. Miss Fieravene has informed me as much. My other agents have also informed me of where the snake and his forces were headed."

Medja looked about the room. So many empty seats. Gerra was God-Emperor...his absence was expected, busy as he was with the task of ruling an entire nation. What were his viziers' excuses? Not a one of them had bothered to show up to a meeting of their own divan discussing a missing member of their own quartet! How could they justify such blatant irresponsibility?

Jerik she might've expected to dodge such a meeting. He was slime, after all, and would certainly hear from Medja personally at a later date. Ava and Achates, however? Medja had expected better. If Ashuanar was retrieved -- no, when Ashuanar was retrieved, the courtier would make certain this slight would not go unanswered.

For now, business needed to be attended to by those who were competent enough to do so. She continued, an icy calm glossing over her previous rage.

"I believe Vizier Ashuanar's recently resurfaced sister might also have something to do with this. A particularly valuable agent of mine has also gone missing during this ordeal."

Uvogin attentively listened to the dragon-man (man-dragon?) as he spoke, the rhythmic tapping of his finger continuing. The Immortal hadn't considered Aivrid appointing himself as interim general of the Imperial Army. He wondered if the decision was made for with the Empire's interest in mind or the dragon's own. Uvogin raised a brow, though he had no real reason to oppose the idea. Despite that, he made a mental note to prepare a contingency plan in the event their most dangerous ally became an enemy.

The captain continued to listen as Nak'Ehim and Medja spoke, and was rather entertained by the latter's uncharacteristic broken composure (one that was quickly corrected).

If the need and time came, Uvogin would offer the assistance of the Immortals in resolving the matter, though the captain was keen to see what conclusion the present members of the Divan would reach without his input.

And just like that, an ancient dragon acquired immense military and political power in the Empire of Amol-Kalit. Mirielle refused to dwell on a mental image of a dragon strafing the wheat fields of Lazular, should things shift.

"It seems to me," she said carefully, "that our new acting Vizier of War has a great many pressing concerns, even beyond General Ashuanar's capture and the secrets he could leak under interrogation. Vel Anir is aggressively expanding its influence in the Cortosi coast and the eastern grasslands, not far from Mamsis and the Baal-Asha delta. When Ashuanar and I went to...work toward friendship...with the grassland tribes, I kept my ears open along the way, and I suspect the plains city of Yrai will bow to Vel Anir soon, if it hasn't already. That whole region between us and Vel Anir is in flux, especially since the orkish siege of Cregsbend Castle."

Like the Cortosi coast, Yrai, and the grassland tribes, Cregsbend more or less formed a midpoint between the competing holdings of Vel Anir and the Empire. That whole line would see escalating violence within a year or two. Mirielle had no doubt of it.

To make her point, she'd had a cartographer do up a somewhat stylized little map.

proxy.php

Ashuanar Aivrid Medja Uvogin Mago Matahari Nak'Ehim Akanamar

Last edited:
Tag: Mago Matahari Mirielle Merlon Medja Nak'Ehim Akanamar Uvogin

Well, they sure don't seem worried. Maybe I can push a little more...

Aivrid had only recently learned how to properly control his facial expressions in his human form, but reading those of others was still difficult. His sight was not that of a dragon's here. Still, he was sure that those on the divan did not lack the memory of his dragon form -- the Sipahi captain accepted Aivrid's proposal almost instantly. Perhaps he'd been at Ninagal as well... perhaps Aivrid needed to show the world his power more often. If he was feared, he was feared by all. Respect was often overrated.

Since there were no objections, Aivrid moved quickly to organize the search for Ashuanar and set his agenda. "Medja, it is clear that you have already begun the search for the Vizier, and you know more about his whereabouts than the rest of us. If the rebels have indeed captured Ashuanar, then it's possible that they are torturing him for information, likely at their stronghold. Coordinate with the Vizier of Eyes, if you can, to locate the rebels and the Vizier. Captain Uvogin," he said, turning to the commander of the Immortals, "With Gerra absent, your men have been for the most part idle. This matter takes priority until his return. You will work with Lady Medja. Once the rebels are found, you will wipe them out."

Alas, there were indeed many pressing matters -- but Aivrid would not have taken the mantle of Vizier of War if he was not prepared to handle such matters. Moreover he found an easy way to increase his power over the military. Their world was very, very large. The further away someone was, the more power he could gain in their absence. The man surveyed the map for a little while before he spoke. "In truth I am relatively unfamiliar with this region. But regional instability, I understand." He'd caused quite a bit of it in his past. "Vel Anir will have difficulty keeping hold over this region if we keep pressure on them, particularly with the increase in the number of elves, orcs, and other races in the area."

His gaze turned back to Mirielle. He'd established himself as the leader here, in his mind, but it was important that the others had the time to share their expertise. "Tell me more about this area and its people. How do you think we can best achieve power and stability there? Will its people bow easily, or are they proud?" Next, to Al'Daim. "Captain. How soon could your men be over the Baal-Asha river?"

"Captain. How soon could your men be over the Baal-Asha river?"

It would seem Vizier Ashuanar's self proclaimed paranoia had already just paid off. Al'Daim cleared his throat, and straightened up.

"Vizier Ashuanar has for some time now been involved in training operations for just such an event. There are currently two battalions prepped and ready with three more currently undergoing reorganization. The former can be mobilized within the week, whereas the others... will need some time."

He was dismayed that it seemed he would be uninvolved in the attempt to rescue their perhaps former general. He had hoped to get a shot at that slime Nak'Ehim.

"There's no one answer to your question, Vizier," Mirielle said. "Cortos, the plains cities, the plains tribes, the Baal-Asha delta and the Cregsbend region are all culturally distinct. I think Vel Anir has pursued a smart strategy of dominating and assimilating Cortosi population centres like Coraliv. Our errand to the plains tribes was complicated by the fact that they're acephalous - nobody was really in charge. Cregsbend is a decent opportunity to secure the north end of the line: it's a small-to-midsize castle with several villages nearby. Fix it up with an investment a fraction the size of what we spent on the plains tribes, and I suspect it'll become strategically useful in the short and long term. Its lord lost many men in the siege, and he's hundreds of miles from Vel Anir. He'll come onside easily."

Having the Immortals at her back was an enormous strategic boon, especially when it came time to raid the rebels' hideout. It didn't hurt that she knew Uvogin was someone she could trust, for one sizable reason. The Immortal Captain likely would've aided her if she'd simply asked, but an actual order never hurt when it came to dealing with soldiers. Mention of the Vizier of Eyes struck a bit of a sour chord with the courtier, however. Medja was already doing her job at this point.

"I have something of a plan of action laid out already. Vizier Ava's assistance will not be necessary."
She would explain to those that needed to hear it and no one else. If Aivrid chose to tag along and make the crushing of this revolt absolute, then so be it. Until then, this likely didn't need to be discussed any further.

Aivrid. Mirielle, and Al'Daim now discussed matters more pressing to the future of the Empire as a nation: potential future conflict with their rival city-state, Vel Anir. It didn't quite sit right with her that these three were doing Ashuanar's job of discussing war strategies, Aivrid in particular showing himself to be very ambitious, but there wasn't much that could be done about it. Gods knew Medja had strong-armed her way into many a high ranking position.

"We have more potential allies pouring in from the north-east. I am to meet with an ambassador of Cintria when this debacle is over to discuss a potential alliance." She brushed her hair back as she spoke, usual air of dignity and pride returning quickly. "They would no doubt prove vital in our efforts in the grassland territories."

The courtier pondered the map as well as Mirielle's comments on Cregsbend. She pondered the mark for a few moments, hand to her chin in consideration. An age old tactic would likely serve this task just fine.
"If things are as unstable as you say, your Highness, then perhaps military force will not be needed to take Cregsbend. We need simply put a loyal puppet on the proverbial throne and moving our forces in will be effortless."

"Let us not forget the holdings we already keep," Mago had waited for a pause in discussion before allowing his interjection to boom through the chamber, "what strife you speak of wears the markings of war. Annuakat is prepared to do its part in maintaining order and peace, but not at the cost of its own stability."

"Vizier Ashuanar was also assigned to stabilizing the people and economy of Salitra - an effort greatly supported by Annuakat. The Siege of Bread was a sizable drain on this city's supplies. These Rebels,"
the man shifted in his seat, bright gaze panning to Medja, "who have taken the Vizier were responsible for setting fire to many of our wheat fields. To re-sow and replenish will take time and the growing season can never be long enough."

"I am afraid Annuakat cannot afford to sustain a war effort while continuing to supply food, laborers, and craftspeople to Salitra. Not without taking from our stores saved for the dry season, and that will bring no good fortune for anyone. Someone trustworthy needs to be stationed in Salitra to take over the stabilization efforts in the Vizier's stead, and another city will need to be drawn for rations to the war efforts. I had a mind to suggest the Vizier of Coin, Lady Achates..."
and his eyes passed to her empty seat. The Prince gently cleared his throat, "but it seems she is indisposed."

It seemed that Ashuanar had been a reasonably good choice for Vizier of War. It'd make taking credit for future successes so much easier. With several battalions almost ready, he could send Al'Daim away and have enough time to properly pocket the commander of the second force. Of course, the Sereti ogres and orcs would prepare themselves quickly and without hesitation if he ever asked them, but the soldiers of Amol-Kalit were a bit more difficult. They'd been given previous orders, so it wouldn't be too difficult for the small Abtati minds to wrap around the idea of a slight change of plans.

Cregsbend was not a place he'd been to -- in truth the castles these days were basically useless. If they could not withstand dragon fire, were they truly good fortifications? Aivrid wondered if they'd ever learn. Still, from what Mirielle described, this would not be a difficult matter; the local lord would likely roll over easily. Installing a puppet as Medja had proposed would be a simple task. "Very well. Captain Al'Daim, inform the two battalions that are ready that you leave for Cregsbend at dawn. You will use the castle as a temporary base of operations for our affairs in this region. I will arrange for an agent to meet you there. They will handle the negotiations, and you will aid them as necessary."

Mirielle was the resident expert on the grassland tribes, so he continued to question her on the nature of the people there. "They might not be united now, but they could be. Have there ever been a time when someone united the tribes? Are there prophecies of one who might bring them together and lead them against a great foe?" They might be effective in their home terrain, but with the pressure exerted by Vel Anir and the Empire, the grasslands would have to sway one way or the other. If they could place a 'divinely ordained' leader under their influence, it'd make it all seem so much more legitimate, and save them the time of going to each of the tribes individually to negotiate.

Medja appeared to have enough on her plate, and apparently plans to clear said plate. Aivrid nodded to her, understanding that she had enough resolve to accomplish the tasks she set out for herself. "If you require any further assistance, all you need to do is ask. Once you have met with the Cintrian ambassador we will convene again to discuss further actions."

Finally, Mago... to be fair, Aivrid wasn't exactly an expert in economics, but he did love coins and food. A lack of either would be most disappointing. "I may be acting Vizier of War, but I have no plans to start one. Still, it has been made clear that these rebels are making a nuisance of themselves. Wiping them out is still our top priority." He paused for a moment, then turned to Mirielle. "Would Lazular be able to provide more grain to Salitra? If so, I could provide additional security to the route." There was an additional, silent offer to Mirielle -- he was sure that the noblewoman would capitalize on an opportunity to further her influence in another city, and solve Mago's apparent problem.

"The plains tribes struck me as practical and unsentimental," said Mirielle with a shake of her head. "Their tales are metaphorical, not literal, and prophesied leaders aren't...well, they don't see leadership in the same way we do. To fully come onside, they'll need a concrete net benefit that's relevant to their way of life - they've already disdained gold. Horses, perhaps."

An honest suggestion, but one that would benefit Lazular's far-reaching horse markets.

"As for grain...yes, that could be arranged. Lazular to Salitra is a long trek and a hazardous one, but if the Empire established or acquired a fortified port on the north coast of the Seret mountains, the risks and travel time would both drop massively. Nothing especially large, but that would be the best place to deploy the protection you suggest."

Aivrid

"If you require any further assistance, all you need to do is ask. Once you have met with the Cintrian ambassador we will convene again to discuss further actions."
That was reassuring. Aivrid had come to be a reliable ally in recent days. Perhaps that was why Medja didn't even flinch when he assumed Ashuanar's position. Sometimes it felt as though they were helping each other become more human, little by little...

"Thank you, Aivrid." She responded simply. There was no reason to discuss it further. Not here, anyways.

To fully come onside, they'll need a concrete net benefit that's relevant to their way of life - they've already disdained gold. Horses, perhaps."
Now that was a convenient little fact. Medja's usual air of confidence was quickly returning. Manipulating the gears that made society move was practically therapeutic to her.

"I do believe that his Highness, Prince Mago, has a surplus of the finest horses Amol-Kalit has to offer." She made eye contact with Mago as she mused, not so subtly attempting to illicit a response from the Annuakati royalty."Perhaps, with the Prince's consent, we could send some as a gift alongside Al'Daim's forces."

The Prince lifted a brow at Medja, momentarily considering that suggestion. A frown plied at his expression, pensive behind a well-trimmed beard before he offered a nod of consent to the idea, "I will pull a selection from my bronze herd suitable for gifting."

Mago was not compelled to talk down the quality of his horses or their bloodlines. The Prince thought quite highly of them and was honored for the compliment, but he wasn't one to boast.

• Wonder
  • Yay
Reactions: Aivrid and Medja
"The finest horses Annuakat can offer, I'm sure. Even in the great horse market at Lazular, we've heard of your beautiful trekenas. I could never show my face in Lazular again if I failed to match Prince Mago's offer. My party came to Annuakat with eight geldings from Amir Farid's finest hamtu bloodline. Consider them Lazular's contribution to winning the tribes' favour."

A little on the nose, but Farid had made intensely sure she understood that, as a representative of Lazular, she would cede no opportunity to proclaim their horses' preeminence.

Her guards would just have to ride local. But they would understand.

Mago Matahari Medja Aivrid Nak'Ehim Akanamar Uvogin