Discussion What is your favorite character you've ever played?

Owain d'Athée

The Child Soldier
Character Biography
Link
I enjoy asking this question wherever I end up RPing, so here I am.

What is your favorite character you've ever played? Why is it they were so enjoyable?

I'll start.

My favorite character ever was a Dark Elf named Jiv'undus I made many years ago, he started out as a character in a text based MUD (Multi User Dungeon) called Sigil, the City of Doors. A MUD heavily focused on roleplay it only survived a few months at best, but it had a simple concept - Sigil (a D&D location, btw) was a connecting point to the multi verse where any character could show up.

Jiv'undus' MUD days were mostly uneventful, but when the MUD died a group of us decided to continue the characters by having them enter a door and end up on a roleplay forum. Over the next couple years Jiv'undus grew, a skilled mage and craftsman he was thy most skilled Artificer on the site.

At some point I got it into my head to have him make magic guns - the how isn't important, but lets say I contorted the rules of the site so well the admins couldn't prevent me from doing it. I armed my friends and as it was early days in the world of RP uninvited combat and T-1 was the lay of the land.

We conquered a nation, and soon other players had started coming to me to buy guns. Soon I had armed the entire world, starting the 'black powder' revolution in a fantasy setting. It's important to understand that this forum kept heavy track of resources, monitored character power and owning land was important if you wanted to be wealthy.

The long and short of it is, traditional magic as written by the rules became obsolete as other players advanced my original designs into manual repeaters, artillery, cannons and even tanks. Unable to contain the growth the mods started a cataclysm event, where sadly Jiv'undus was killed in battle.

I have fond memories of those early days of RP, the 'wild west' era as it were - and it's fun to know I changed the landscape of an entire setting.

My favorite character was an eleven year old girl named Skylar Motting, in a Hogwarts setting. She was my favorite because she was crazy, depressed, secretly going insane, and represented me on the inside lmao but playing as her made me change, since I was getting out all the dark stuff. After reading it, I just shook my head and didn't want to be be like that. Other people, even admins of the RP site said that what I wrote was entertaining but to me it was just sad.

But I liked her because she was interesting and different, she didn't just sit there and let things happen, she stuck up for herself, even against more powerful people. And she got her name idea from a friend who I haven't seen in a long time, more than a year. I've known since elementary school, a really long time.

Cataris. I've included him in the lore of every single I've ever created since, in one way or another.

I created him in 2011. My very first character. I had no idea what to do with him. A blank slate. I RP'ed around and someone hired me as their town guard. From there I continued to rise. I was recruited by the secretive Mages Guild, their leader the Arcane Wizard was considered the second greatest sorcerer on the site. I was his only apprentice. Cataris would later fight in the 'wars of the north' against legions of undead that were manipulated by a society of necromancers.

Ultimately, I killed off Cataris. Too soon it seemed. I was approached OOCly by the leader of these necromancers, they were impressed by me. They wanted to resurrect Cataris as a 'Lich'. So Archmage Cataris became a Lich and pawn of these necromancers. I mostly did it to benefit their story but unknowingly it also benefited mine. The third most powerful sorcerer on the site was a necromancer, and Cataris was his apprentice as a Lich. The world was destroyed by the necromancers, the survivors of the Mages Guild opened a portal and fled to another world.

The necromancers died with the old world, all except for Cataris. He made it through the portal and followed them. For the 'undead' faction he was the sole survivor. With the disappearance of the greatest wizard alive, the Wandering Wizard and the vanishing of the Arcane Wizard, as well as the death of all Necromancers, Cataris was the most powerful magic user on the site. This spanned several years of development. People feared Cataris.

Cataris saw what ruin magic had done on an entire world, it had destroyed it. Knowing the devastation magic could cause he began his own crusade. He hunted down members of the Mages Guild and curated his own form of magic. He could strip people of their ability to harness the aethyr. They could no longer cast spells or perform feats of magic. He hunted down magicians all over. As time went on he naturally developed a nickname. One many would come to fear. Magics Bane.

Some players wanted to dedicate a cult to me, and they did. Some were more nefarious than others, some more morbid. I remember fondly that some players had captured a giant for me, killed the beast and resurrected it as a huge undead giant. It became an integral part of Cataris' plan. Others such as 'Atravim' were more devout, so much so they would offer sacrifices to Cataris. These pawns were used to further his agenda.

In time, Cataris had nothing in the world he loved, he enjoyed. With so many years in RL passing by, 50x more years had passed IC. Many of his friends had long since died. Cataris did not die, but he left the world of mortals and vanished, much like his former master. I placed Cataris back on the shelf as a character and haven't really brought him back down since. His story was concluded.

To this day there are those who still remember Cataris, the excitement OOC that he brought and the terrible fear that came with him in IC. Sometimes I browse those old forums to read what people have said about Cataris. It brings a smile to see how lasting of an impression I have left on a community with a character of which I had no goals to begin with.

This is a no-brainer for me.

My dark mage, Vereshin is the most enjoyable and beloved character I've ever written. I made him in 2016 and he's been on five role-play sites, featured as a main character in multiple novels, (sadly none of which I ever finished) and I still adore him. Most of the other characters I had I eventually got bored with, but Vereshin just embodies all the stuff I love in one person, from dark magic and the occult, to his twisted yet lovable manner, so I never lose interest in him. I really could never part with him.

I started to lose my muse for Vereshin recently, but I believe that was due to me trying to force his concept into a setting which just didn't suit him. I was RPing him on a Star Wars site and found myself dropping stone castles, candles and quills into a society which had mastered space travel. I wouldn't even write Vereshin on a starship because I just couldn't visualize it. That was when I realized that he belonged in medieval fantasy and I needed a different avenue. Upon writing him on Chronicles, he meshes with the setting perfectly and feels like a brand new character. So I'm very happy to have refreshed my love for the character.

Vereshin is not my first character and is actually quite recent compared to my older characters. My very first RP character was Satoryu, a Sith assassin who I made back in my Japan-obsessed days. She was special because she was my first character, but I made her when I was still very much a kid, so she had a lot of flaws and I guess just grew out of her. Her story came to an end and I haven't written her since.

Every so often, I feel like writing sci fi, so I bring out Sebastian Thel, my cryptographer and communications operative who I write on a sci-fi site. While I do love Sebastian, he just doesn't have the same darkly aesthetic and old-fashioned style that I love about Vereshin. I get very attached to all my characters, but Vereshin is certainly the greatest example of this.

Vereshin started out as an immortal, admittedly very OP Emperor, which unsurprisingly was a concept that didn't last very long. I learned the hard way that I suck at writing influential characters and discovered that I enjoyed Vereshin more as a younger, wayward sorcerer who was still full of life and discovering his powers. As my writing improved, the character took on a whole new, low-key identity. He just feels like family now, a cosmic companion who is always there whenever I turn on my computer.

Taurus Heallion Skylar sounds like my first rendition of Vereshin. When he was an immortal Emperor, he was in a lot of pain and just a miserable old sod. Writing that made me quite depressed. That was when I decided to write a novel about him in his younger days, just to experiment and I found out I liked him much more when he was happier.

Acillio Nazzaro That's impressive! I'm super bad at writing anything that has any remote impact on the wider setting and I don't enjoy it either. I much prefer quaint, low-key stories that are just about me and my partner's characters. I also couldn't bring myself to kill off one of my characters. If I ever got to the point where I actually wanted Vereshin to die, then I probably wouldn't be enjoying the character enough to actually RP it out. Satoryu never died, she just got married, but at that point I wasn't enjoying her enough to RP her anymore.

Last edited:
proxy.php

She was just a little girl who wanted to rule the world.

My favourites are many. But they are usually dictated by some heavy long term development. Quite a few were rped since their early days, so they've got a lot of history to them.

But oh well let's start.
Mabess' predcessor Mab was one of my most enjoyable characters. She was a 100% pure feral ash leopard (custom species by a friend, like chronicles, that site had it's own species boards but also species registration (some more popular species had more than 30 rped characters hehe, hellions, demonic lions and bloodbeasts come to mind)
But yes she was played straight feral.
The funny thing was that the species had just enough material to work with freely.
Something relevant in the spirit of chronicles.
The species creator watched my roleplays with her as if it were a documentary. I built upon the species base and shaped it further via how it'd play out in reality. He said himself he learned more about the species as I progressed in her tale.
It really was like a documentary!
We folliwed mab as she claimed her territory, how she defended it from other members of her species (all characters! but not all as feral as her) how she was courted by two males, the preparing of a nest, the birth of her cubs... more territory defending, a famine and the death of one of her cubs via an eagle.
Rip Lysander.

I would say that my favorite character to play was actually the source material for Rice. The Rice I am writing on this site is actually a combination of three separate characters all my favorites in one way or another. Rice is my default character. I always play her on my first play threw of a video game and I often use her in RPing of any form. She has had many iterations. Her first version was a young veteran of a civil war who now worked as a mercenary. Even though her side won the war she was starting to realize that they may not have been in the right. In almost all of her iterations, Rice is a redhead warrior woman with some level of magic, and in all of her iteration up to now, she has always wielded a two-handed sword. She has been a pyromancer battle mage, A battlemage who used the blood of her enemies/or her own blood to fuel her spells, and a depressed paladin who used her own psychic pain to attack her enemies. This version of rice is very different, for one she is a child, for another she has two other being stuck in her head. Though I took some of the blood magic and the depression from previous iterations.

Eoliaf was one of my favorite characters to play off all time. She was a very OP power hungry demon woman with a huge demon suit of armor for a sidekick (He was played by another person). Well actually the two of them argued all the time about who was actually in charge. It was more of a comedy than a serious RP but everyone else was the best. There was a beautiful dynamic between Eoliaf and her alter ego, the version of Rice for that site though she wasn't called rice there she was the same character type (Well actually Eoliaf was Rice's alter ego but that was another point of debate between the characters). The amount of shenanigans that went on between the three of them was beautiful and I decided to resurrect them and shove them all into the head of a 10-year-old so as to keep it from getting to OP. I also made it much darker with more death and murder. But hey, if I have learned anything from my RPing experience it is that you can always have more murder.

Mine came from an online forgotten realms 3.5 site now defunct.

He was Raxel Bluesands, Hex 5,Sor 1,DD(shadow dragon) 10,ABJ 4. I played him for 3.5 years in a setting where most players characters died after 6 months of play. He was a complete badass, and a complete coward, his diplomacy, intimidation, bluff, and poison making skills were maxed out, or as close to maxed out as possible. There was very little that he couldn't talk his way into or out of any thing mostly any thing. I based a lot of his mannerisms off of Elim Garak from DS9. Mostly though he was a coward

Mine came from a now defunct roleplaying site that discussed the strange concept of inhuman thoughts, actions and rationale, along side creating foundations for universes, metaphysical laws, and other mumbo-jumbo I can't remember for the life of me. Poor buddy has the dubious honor of being my imaginary friend to boot!

For ten bloody years. (I'm 22 now, one would think I'd be past that stage)

His name is Tenrof, and he is a member of a primordial species whose purpose was to incarnate Concept and eventually impose themselves into a select Universe as a standalone Law - a function that would dictate how that particular reality was to be portrayed. But my character by itself wasn't conventional.

He was/is my template for creating characters that seem out of place, in both mentality and personality. Those whom view the world through an outside lens, and seek to emulate, imitate, and follow the motions of their surroundings and people, influenced. To learn and develop ways to adapt to the systems of a particular Reality, and blend in amongst the masses. Or for the average mortal, simply learn to mature mentally and emotionally.

Power was relative in that roleplay site, but since one needed the punching power, I made Tenrof as an incarnation of his own unique Truth - a concept so alien, so eldritch, that the mere decision to use it stopped a universe in its tracks, like a computer struck with viruses and too much spam emails. Frankly putting this dude in any other roleplaying forum I consider complete overkill in story and lore, primarily because he is that kind of freaky. I'm currently working on a way to portray this guy in a publish-worthy format, but it takes a lot of work and research!

...But maybe having a story start with him killing an entire multiverse is a bit of a stretch. Do any stories exist that start with that kind of opener at all? If not, might as well give it a shot!

Tough one, very tough one. Many I could mention.

Possibly Paareth, I wrote him an age ago. He was a jagara, a humanoid jaguar and gave me the first experience of writing tribal vs civilized. What I remember most is the stoneguard a small mercenary group that kicked off the guild system at that particular board, the many missions they went on, and how each character eventually perished but the memory of it lived on. Long live the memorial wall :D. Honorable mention to the ogre and ancient I wrote there too.

I loved the original Kei Amadis a lot, as I found many great writers to write with over the years for him and formed a lot of friendships that I miss. I loved and hated Raien Keth, again for the many brilliant threads and writers but he was so dark that it dragged me down to write him. He was also highly restricted as to what I could do with him at his original board (which shaped his character). Ditto for my driftweaving pirate who shall remain nameless but was a lot of fun.

Live chat. I liked Kvan in a live chat capacity probably the most, and the many adventures around a certain MMO, there were quiet periods also sadly. I also liked being a governor in one live chat RPG as we built a city. I miss that aspect of Starwars Galaxies, it was replicated somewhat in Age of Conan for me as a governor running an RPG group and community.

A strong contender would have to be the guardsmen of yew when that guild was alive and kicking. Faces of mankind for the exact same reason. Community group roleplay, whatever form it is in, makes RP all the more fun.

Recently Dato an assamite assassin who I played in a Vampire the Masquerade capacity through roll d20. If you haven't seen it go watch LA By Night. Jasper is great. The host of our group was a friend of that host in the youtube stream.

Since I started just a few weeks ago here, with Zel'ur, I can't say much for now about him (is too soon to tell if he will become a good or bad character…), so I'll take the only one I ever managed to play and mutate from time to time.

His name was/is (depending where I use him) Alixand, an undead sorcerer and plane-walker.
I created him almost 7 years ago as a villain for a short campaign between me and a pair of friends, and even if he wasn't the best of the fighters, I wanted to make him a good evil character and… he was.
In the beginning, he was your classic necromancer, but as time passed I created a long story for him, mostly culminating in tragedy but ending up with a good ending, even making him a charismatic personality, a neutral character with good intentions but tremendous powers.

By now, his story goes like this: second son of an important king of the past, Alixand was gifted among his Brothers and sisters with a great power over the Flux (the thing that let magic flow into his world), making his spells powerful but Dangerous. During the war that divided both his family and Kingdom, Alixand searched a way to hel the wounded and take back those that died, ending up with a book secluded into the depths of his Academy.
As soon as a truce was called to let the body of his father return to his homeland, Alixand used his great powers to launch the spell, but that backfired and instead of heal and take hope to his land… killed and condemned the entire North of it, manifesting into a titanic explosion.
The crater where the explosion happened is still today an area of sudden Death thanks to the corrupted magic of that place.

After a while, however, Alixand managed to return back from the dead, and live a long life following 2 wars, the resurections of 2 extinct races of his world and the final fight with the very things that gave life to all living things.
After this, he was the last of his family still alive, and as soon as the world was safe, he simply retired into the crypt of his family and peacefuly die one last time.

The story is longer, but I don't want to bother you all with him.

she isn't a character from chronicals, but she has to be one of my favourite characters. the setting shes in is a post-apoc type world with no power. that it, thats the whole apocalypse. no power, no internet, 20 years after the black out, theres just chaos. she happens to be a doctor turned corrupt by the government by doing experiments on innocent people- mostly children.

her name is lhamo blum, and you can find more about her here.

Mine was a star wars oc named felix (who i still use today on a star wars rp site) he was a total goof, and a big sweetheart.
S̶a̶d̶l̶y̶ ̶h̶e̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶k̶i̶n̶d̶a̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶t̶o̶y̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶s̶u̶f̶f̶e̶r̶i̶n̶g̶…̶

Non-Chronicles - my character Quietus. Created her back in 2003 and still write her today. She has had the most organic character growth and development out of any of my chars and to this day still continues to develop thanks greatly in part to my writing partner who writes one of her mates, Netherworld

Chronicles - I thoroughly enjoy writing my dark elf Fieravene. She seems to add a sense of intrigue to every thread she joins and everyone seems to like writing with her. Pern is my close second - very easy to write and very fun to inject into situations being that she is so inexperienced in worldliness.

• Yay
Reactions: Netherworld