Open Chronicles The Valenntenian Masquerade Festival

A roleplay open for anyone to join
"Of course, Guardian Hruugen. I would be honoured," Lyta inclined her head with a smile. "Everyone here knows where I live, it should be easy for you to find me," if she was not at home then there was usually a trail of people who followed her about the town asking for blessings for their Dreams. Her warmth made her a particular favourite amongst the children.

"I should go pay my respects to the other guests, until we meet again," with another elegant curtsey, Lyta then swept into the crowds.

Before, it would have confused him. If the two of them had held this dance together a year ago, before they'd spent any significant amount of time together, he wouldn't have understood what that look in her eyes meant. Maybe he still didn't completely comprehend it, even now. But when Vazia looked up at him with those bewitching eyes, no longer completely colorless and imbued with that slightest hint of panic and fear...

Somehow, he understood completely.

"Vazia." He replied in a hushed voice, bringing his head down as the dance slowed further. Their masks touched gently, the only barrier separating their foreheads from one another as Villam spun across the hidden, moonlit pavilion with her ever so gently. "It's okay. I'm not asking you to let me in. Not all at once."

His hand squeezed down on hers, and he swallowed the strange nervousness that fluttered in his chest, begging him to hold his tongue, to save him from embarrassment.

"I just want you to know that I don't care what's hiding behind the void. I don't fear it. And if there ever comes a time when you decide to face and conquer whatever it is that haunts you... I'll be there, and I'll fight it with you. Because someday... I'd like to know the real Vazia Ferreira. Because what little I've seen already has a hold on me..."

Vazia Ferreira

For all the flare and life of the music, nothing caught his pulse quite so much as her gaze. A bright wonder that hid a sea of mysteries that burned just beneath bottomless depths.

Electric and calming contradictions.

He was snared. And smiled all the more for it. The look of her eyes twined with his, as all the world around them set to stir. Whirl and dance.

"Then with your words," all the lights dazzled about her, like the shimmer of stars across visiting mists. "I will set my own to follow," he said, and let his eyes come shut. Bowed once more, and the bright bells signaled his surrender.

Stella

"I look forward to it, Guardian Lyta. Farewell."
Hruugen watched Lyta melt back into the throngs from whence she had come and breathed a sigh of relief.
So far things were going well. The outside world was much strange to his cloistered life but he was beginning to find his feet.
Setting his mind to find the Guardian of Wisdom Stella, he set about the city. Artfully avoiding the dancers and revelers was not so difficult but he did have to stop several times and let others pass, once he was simply ignored by those who were too much in their cups to really notice he had asked about the Guardian of Wisdom.
Eventually he came to something that he felt he needed to intervene in. No, not intervene, but drawn to.
He let the Light Stone guide him.
Someone in this place was... inky. He could almost taste it, like dark mud in his teeth.
The Stone was trying to tell him something, or perhaps only reacting to something.
As he scanned the dancers and revelers he saw them, a couple at dance and he knew one of them was the focal point of this sensation.
A man and a woman... he knew there were other Guardians but he was unprepared for such, disagreeable resonance.
The Light Stone pulled at him but he did not follow. Letting this uncomfortable experience linger a moment, perhaps it might pass. As ones eyes adjust to the sun or body to cold waters.

Kaira Yehven
Mabbon Dreierg

Oh, I don't know about all that. Joining Kaira on the bench, Mabbon tried to hold the Faith Guardian's gaze for as long as he could. His jaw ached from smiling so much, and his chest, well... no-one had ever accused him of lacking a heart. Damn thing's fit to burst, the half-orc thought, lilac eyes widening as Kaira's lips touched his knuckles.

Funny, how these kind of relationships coalesced.

Clearing his throat, Mabbon turned his head away to focus on the rest of the party for a moment. If the laughter and half-smiles were anything to go by, he wasn't the only one enjoying his evening. He saw the many, many couples milling about, drinks in hand and joy in their hearts. Their garb made for a colourful banner. But none were so colourful as the thoughts racing through his mind right then.

Turning back to Kaira, Mabbon nodded.

Fuck it!

Pulling up his mask so that it rested across the top of his head, Mabbon cupped Kaira's hands in his own before bringing them to his lips. Gently, he let them fall, his eyes flickering to hers. He didn't have to say anything. Words couldn't express the extent of his feelings towards her. But actions...

Leaning forward, Mabbon pressed his lips to Kaira's, unsure of how they had wound up here, but glad that they had.

Kaira Yehven

Vazia's feet seemed to move of their own accord as she moved with Villam. She was glad for it, because she was not thinking of dancing right now. Villam's words threatened to undo her. How had he managed to hit her fears on the head? Had she gone so long without any emotions that she no longer knew how to hide them?

She was glad they were alone, glad that only Villam was seeing her like this- her blank facade crumbling; the only thing that was holding her together was his firm grip on her.

"Maybe you should fear it- what's beyond the void," she replied, tilting her head slightly so that her nose brushed his. "I do," she added, her voice even softer.

The real Vazia Ferreira... that was more complicated than Villam even realized, but Vazia found she wanted to tell him. To have someone else who could know what had happened those ten years ago, someone who could help ease the pain... She thought she wanted to fall off that knife she was balancing on, towards Villam, even if it cut her.

Villam Regis

Crickets!

His lips at her own hands were enough to make her blush for a whole year, perhaps even the rest of her living days! Her breath caught seeing him peer up at her with those lovely lilac eyes, and it seemed that the world came to a stop and silence to ensure she remembered those lips on her skin.

Crickets.

Oh, Ancients!

His face neared her own, her heart pounding against bone and lungs, desperate to leap out from her!

"Oh, bean sprouts..." It was the faintest whisper before Mabbon pressed his lips to her own, and her entire frame stilled. Hear heart, her breath, her mind. She lived in that moment where he captured everything she had felt for him, in a single kiss. Reminded her that this man had become special and important to her in the past couple of months.

And so, he breathed life back into her.

Kaira responded, having closed her eyes to shut out the world that celebrated love. The Guardian of Faith kept it brief, but as she pulled away, it was written all over her face how much she had cherished that moment, and how much she would like to do so again, soon.

She was grinning at him now, mischievous and delighted.

It soon fell, now noticing that her Stone was not in fact reacting to her emotions, but alerting her of another Guardian. One she had not felt in a long while.

"Mabbon..." She started, turning her head to now look to the crowd. "A Guardian of Light? I didn't expect him to be here so soon!" Duty fell back easily into her, but her cheeks were twitching from all the smiling he was the result of. "We should make our introductions, shouldn't we?"

Hruugen
Mabbon Dreierg

The feeling did not leave him. Hruugen moved towards the couple, aware that he was already unsettled by one of them, perhaps both.
"Greetings."
He tried his hand at introductions with a simple nod.
"I am the latest Guardian of Light, my name is Hruugen. You are also Guardians are you not?"
He smiled his thin smile and tried to not look like his skin was crawling, which his training helped with. It would not show in his body or face.

Mabbon Dreierg
Kaira Yehven

The moment came and went. Revelling in it for as long as time allowed, Mabbon sat up straighter, only remembering to pull his mask back down when Kaira's voice reached him. 'Hmm? Oh, right.' He could feel it, too. The connection. One stone to another to another.

The Guardians were out in force tonight.

As Hruugen approached, Mabbon stood, responding to the Guardian of Light's nod with one of his own. 'Yes, we are!' Mabbon answered for them both, still feeling a bit giddy despite himself. 'My name is Mabbon. I'm the Guardian of Darkness, though, between you and I, I feel like the name could do with some work.' Grinning, the half-orc shook Hruugen's hand.

A decidedly human gesture, truth be told, but one he had grown accustomed to.

'Welcome to Valenntenia, Hruugen!'

Kaira Yehven Hruugen

Kaira's hand went to her Stone, the plain pebble-like thing warming considerably, as if it had begun to recognise the Stone of Light, familiarising.

"Perhaps a Masquerade is an awful setting for introductions, but I pleased to make your acquaintance, Hruugen." Kaira bowed her head, a pleasant smile on her face, at least not hidden from her elegant half mask. Her hand found Mabbon's turning to peer up at him as her smile stretched. The kiss was not forgotten, having lit her up considerably, she may contend for the Stone of Light!

"And I am Kaira Yehven, Guardian of Faith. My grandfather sits on the Somner council, you may have seen him around the Tower." The features between the Yehvens were strong in resemblance, making the few remaining of the ancient warrior House recognisable in Valenntenia. "If you ever need a guide around this fair city, then I would be happy to introduce you to our citizens." Anything beyond... she had barely been outside the city walls since her appointment as Guardian, save for the handful of times she was able to be surrounded by her fellow Guardians.

But there was no need enlighten Hruugen with the restrictions of the Faith Stone.

Hruugen Mabbon Dreierg

Opportunity was a fickle thing when it came to Mikko Cendrillon.

As his brother no doubt was speaking some wise and sage words, his dark eyes caught the lovely butterfly motifs that Lyta adorned this night. He shoved his drink into his twin's free hand and left without word or explanation.

He was supposed to be keeping an eye on things here, but no one would dare start trouble this close to the Tower.

"Lyta!" He knew it was her, no one being able to capture the beauty and elegance in costume as she had. He caught her hand before she could slip away from him again, and he pulled her into a dance.

Only... Mikko knew one style of dance... so his slow waltz was short-lived.

"That... was a terrible attempt." He smiled.

Lyta

Hruugen, his own mask removed from before, was grateful for the warm reception.
He still did not know exactly what to expect from the other Guardians.
That feeling was still there, it clung to his skin like tar.
"It's an honour to meet you both. I have not met your Grandfather yet. I am still finding my way."
He remembered again that he was armed and tried not to look embarassed.
"If you would, Guardian kaira, I am in search of someone. Guardian Stella, I am told she was attending but I am at a loss as to find her. If you could point me the way I'd be obliged to you both."
Years of dealing with funerals left his manners impeccable but it did mean he often took the long way to his point. Still his speech was slow and gentle like wind through leaves on a sunny day.

Mabbon Dreierg
Kaira Yehven

The Guardian of Faith blinked, turning to see if she could spot a fave she rarely saw as the dragon was more often a recluse. They got along well, but with Kaira's popularity in Old Town, regaled as the Daughter of Valenntenia, the Guardian of Wisdom understandably kept her distance from the crowd the Faith Guardian could conjure.

"Hm... I think that will prove difficult when everyone is wearing— oh? I believe that is her."

Stella went without a mask, standing out visually if one were to glance at the crowd. Her Stone hummed in confirmation, and Kaira grinned seeing the Guardian had found someone to converse with.

"Over there, Hruugen. Your Stone will lead you to any one of us when we are close enough. I trust you will serve well with Light." And because it was Kaira's fashion, she drew the runic symbol of Faith over Hruugen's heart. Such a gesture was coveted of the Guardian.

She looped her arms around Mabbon's, smiling so much it almost hurt. Riding the giddiness he had gifted her, Kaira's Stone spread an aura that touched those in their vicinity. It made them calm, collected. Able to feel the warmth of the Ancients.

Mabbon Dreierg Hruugen

Saskia leaned on his shoulder as the walked, her arm wrapped in his. He wished that they could be close like this always. Saskia was fickle, though, and he knew better than to keep his hopes up. He looked down at her, glad his mask hid the bulk of the heat on his cheeks. He had used this admittedly for an ulterior motive, and he was glad when Roki went to find new ventures.

"It would be nice to commemorate our time here, we can certainly do that. But first.." He pulled her to a gentle stop in front of a vendor. He grabbed his selection, a pink rose with gold tracing the outside of the delicate petals, glittering in the soft lights that dazzled their walk. He paid, and then looked down at his friend, tucking the precious flower behind her ear. "A pretty rose, for a beautiful woman." He chuckled and led her on, headed towards the center of dance and entertainment.

Saskia Kerraelas

Villam's feet stopped, his hands ceasing to guide her in movement as a softly uttered admission of fear washed over his face, her lips mere inches from his own as she spoke the words. This Vazia, the woman who now allowed herself for the first time to appear vulnerable and unsure... it was the same he'd seen ever so briefly on the night of Homecoming.

That had been a result of separation from her stone. This time, she was doing it consciously.

Villam's hand slipped free of hers, slowly reaching up to rest against the soft curve of her cheek. So often he heard whispered mentions of The Guardian of Void, how she looked to be empty and dead.

Fools, the lot of them. There was so much life in her eyes, buried deep within. When she spoke to him, he could feel the woman that she'd once been, calling out to him from the hole she'd been hiding in for years. No matter how pale she appeared, her cheek was warm against his palm.

Her lips were warm against his own.

It was brief, fleeting even. Regis hadn't even registered that he'd done it until he was already pulling his lips away from her. It was only afterward that he recognized how badly he'd wished to do it from the moment she'd approached him on the bridge tonight. So badly, that he leaned down and did it once more, gentle, chaste, as if he were poking a sleeping giant that he dare not rouse and enrage.

Regardless, he had to poke and prod. He'd never forgive himself otherwise.

"The Void does not define you..." Villam whispers against her lips. "Nor does your past."

As he pulls away once more, a smile finds his lips.

"I'm the Guardian of Passion. Heir to the Regis name." He chuckles softly. "It's my job not to fear that which should be feared. I won't stop now."

Vazia Ferreira

Suddenly they were no longer moving, though the music still continued. She could not tear her gaze away from Villam's, even if she had wanted to. She knew the look she saw in his eyes, and she wondered what he saw in her own.

His hand came up to her face, and she placed her now free hand on his other shoulder. There was so little space between them now, and she knew what was coming the instant before it happened.

His mouth was soft and gentle on hers, but just as soon as it had happened it was over. Vazia's eyes fluttered shut, and then he was kissing her again and she found she was kissing him back. He kissed her as if he was afraid she might break, and truthfully, Vazia wasn't sure that she wouldn't.

He spoke soft words against her mouth before pulling away again. She slowly opened her eyes, unaware that they were blue- the same blue they had been briefly the night of Homecoming, the same blue they had been before she was the Guardian of the Void Runestone.

For the first time in a long time, Vazia was at a loss for words. She was certain that no matter what she said, Villam would reassure her. It gave her a strange sort of... peace, almost.

"Villam," she said his name again, though her voice was different- one could detect hints of sadness and longing.

Villam Regis

For all the flare and life of the music, nothing caught his pulse quite so much as her gaze. A bright wonder that hid a sea of mysteries that burned just beneath bottomless depths.

Electric and calming contradictions.

He was snared. And smiled all the more for it. The look of her eyes twined with his, as all the world around them set to stir. Whirl and dance.

"Then with your words," all the lights dazzled about her, like the shimmer of stars across visiting mists. "I will set my own to follow," he said, and let his eyes come shut. Bowed once more, and the bright bells signaled his surrender.

"Good," the woman replied curtly while the man bowed once again, "this way."

Ignorant to the seeking and finding of her personnage elsewhere among the crowds, Stella moved to lead off and away from the main hall where far too many people mingled with far too many eyes. Where she meant to go would afford them privacy without necessarily removing them from the festivities entirely. Setting a path for the nearby stairwell meant only for those in residence of the tower and attended by guards, she uttered low words of familiarity for her unfamiliar face and after a moment they stepped aside to permit her ascent.

This would take them to a level above the main floor that featured an open view of the hall below beyond ornate railings. A gallery of artwork adorned the walls and various seating areas far more intimate and quiet than the feast table could possibly provide awaited them. Stella took up residence in her preferred area flanked by broad columns on either side where she took her usual seat on an overstuffed leather chair. Across from her: its twin, empty and awaiting her evening's conversational companion. Between them: a low tea table presently bereft of things, though it usually hosted her current fixation.

"My Lady Wisdom," an attendant arrived, an older man sporting a swathe of white that cut through the remnants of youthful brown, "in a lovely new façade."

"Do not become attached," Stella eyed the man primly, "this was Lyta's idea. It is only for the event. Tea, if you please, for the pair of us. Bring my pearl set."

"As you wish, My Lady. Anything more for you, Sir?" he turned to her masked associate.

Last edited:
"A pretty rose, for a beautiful woman."

The pink rose was tucked behind her ear, and Saskia had opportunity to watch her friend closely as he concentrated on getting it to sit comfortably and not fall. He tucked her golden hair, keeping it all in place before dragging her towards the dancing.

The idea of whirling around brought her out of her quiet reverie.

"Wulfy." She hissed, trying to pull at him to stop dragging her. "I can't dance." A lie, which they both knew he knew.

But it was no use. He was determined, a rare thing when it came to crowds.

She struggled to remember how to position her hands before they got swept up in the melodies, the quartet leading them into a steady pace.

Saskia actively tried to not step on his toes.

"This... is ridiculous." She whined, turning to look around at those participating in dance. Each couple were a wash of colour, but Saskia's yellow gown garnered more attention. "Everyone is looking at us now, Alaric." At her.

Alaric Wulf

"I embrace this duty as I have all others."
Hruugen replied to Kaira without missing a beat, following her eyes to the form of the white haired woman as she disappeared into a side door from the main hall.
"Thank you Guardian Kaira, Guardian Mabbon, please. Enjoy the Festival!"
The sticky feeling was still there even as he left them. Perhaps meditation would bring clarity, or asking Solomon once things have settled here.
In other circumstances he wouldhave liked to get to know both of them better but love, as with grief, was at once private and public. He sensed this was their private moment and took his exit timely.
Once in the corridor he marked the guards. Whom he did not know and no doubt knew him not.
"Ah, eh..."
"You may pass, Guardian!"
"Oh, well, thank you!"
Being a Guardian came with a level of official office it seemed. Hruugen was not sure what to make of that.
Presently he made his way up to the first level.
"Degalo!"
He was instantly enthralled by a piece on the wall depicting various human figures pulling apart a bull with their bare hands. Their eyes gleamed with pale savagery as they tore hoof and horn, gut and marrow from the still living beast. Degalo had called it, The Fall of the House of Varnus and it was widely considered to be his last great piece before he died. It stood twice as tall as a man and was perhaps double that in width. It was a morbid scene, hued in dark brown shadows and visceral reds.
Hruugen had never seen it before except in replica but the real thing took his breath from him for a moment.
His pursuit momentarily forgotten.

The fae frowned slightly behind his mask. Her words having an effect upon him.

"My face is not stern. There is nothing to snap by approaching and speaking with me. I am always polite with strangers."

Quacey didn't know why her comment annoyed him so much but it did.

"Perhaps they are frightened of you? Swans are known to be aggressive, territorial birds prone to noisy assault for daring simply getting near them unintentionally. Did the thought they are cautious of your chosen attire not cross your mind?"

The fae knew not everyone was as conscious and aware of symbolism as he was. But surely there had to be a few in such a gathering. Also his companion was rather anti-social many times during their trip. Perhaps she was the one with a stern look upon her face that made others worry she might be the one to snap at them.

Ethir

Ethir blinked at Quacey. She could not help the smile that crept across her face. She made a shoddy attempt at hiding it by raising her glass to her lips and taking a sip. Quacey was more right than Ethir cared to admit, though it hadn't occurred to her how aggressive and territorial swans were. Rather fitting, she thought.

"Whatever reason it is, I am glad no one else is approaching us," she admitted. After nearly a month of travelling with Quacey, she had grown rather fond of his company- perhaps it was because she was used to him, and making new friends required getting comfortable with someone else.

Or perhaps it was something more.

Ethir drank more of her champagne. It warmed her from the inside as she watched people mingle and dance and eat and drink. It had been a bit since she had seen this many people in one place.

Quacey

Mabbon held up a hand as Hruugen walked away. 'He seems a pleasant chap,' the half-orc remarked, watching as the Guardian of Light disappeared into the crowd after Stella and the man she was with. Turning back to Kaira, Mabbon suppressed a smile as his Stone reacted to the aura surrounding the Guardian of Faith. He had already been in a pretty good mood.

But now he was beginning to feel euphoric.

I'm far too sober for this. 'Shall we mingle?' He asked, wanting nothing more than to kiss her again. 'I think we should mingle, let's mingle!' Arm in arm, he led Kaira back out onto the dance floor, passing between dancing couples as they went. He recognised one couple in particular, almost tripped. 'Is that...?'

Villam and Vazia. Together.

'Good on them, I say.' Grinning, Mabbon changed course in order to give the two a wider berth. He could see they were in the middle of something important, something... lifechanging.

He couldn't help but keep glancing at Kaira. Her dress, the mask... her dazzling beauty. It was perfect.

She was perfect.

Kaira Yehven

"I do hope any ailments are disproved in this challenge. I would hate to see a power of significance in Valenntenian life deteriorate before our very eyes. The Guardian of Power holds importance in the city's history, just as important as Faith, dare I say." For Lale was not convinced Faith was worthy of any Guardian when the people themselves were devout enough with a High Priest.

Konstantin gave Lale a dry smile from behind his mask.
"My Lady, I am far from the end of my road."

With that he bowed his head and stepped away from the woman. It was quite clear why she'd earned the reputation she'd garnered. Shrewd and provocative, that one. Konstantin exhaled. What a shame that she'd already seen right through his veneer of being "okay."

Carvyre simply smiled and did not try to keep the Guardian around for more conversation. Her eyes lifted, seeing the Absalon slowly make his way towards the heart of the festivities. Before she could be seen by him and approached, she turned and melded into the growing crowd.

Perhaps she will find someone else to bother or simply call this another night of insignificance and return home.

They happened to be right at the spot to see Villam and Vazia, their Guardian colleagues, down below in a private embrace away from the other festivities. She whacked Mabbon's arm, "They obviously thought no one could see them! We should move..." And she gently guided Mabbon away, sticking to the fringes of the dancing floor.

Crickets! There were so many Guardians out and about!

"Konstantin!" She forgot all about the dance, lifting her hand from Mabbon's shoulder to wave to the Guardian of Power. She knew it was him from recognition of his Stone. Just like she would know everyone else with a Stone. "What a lovely mask you have!" And she turned to look to Mabbon, smiling at his mask also.

Perhaps she should have thought of something more for her own mask.

Konstantin Mabbon Dreierg