Fable - Ask The daughter of Soleiman..

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first
Medja laughed aloud at the mention of Soleiman believing himself to be 'untouchable.' The reports she had received after the Sacking of Salitra described the Emir as a paranoid, desperate, wreck. It was little wonder his dynasty was so easy to dismantle.

"My dear, I mean no offense, but your father was a deluded fool; he died fleeing his throne, ripped to shreds by the undead army he hired to protect the city he could not. Gerra is a warrior; he does not pretend that he is invincible, and he knows that his position makes him vulnerable...but that's why he made me his Vizier of Eyes." Medja spoke plainly, neither disdain nor pride marking her voice. She only spoke the truth. "Why, I personally dismantled a rebellion against the Empire just last week. Knowledge is power, Princess, and nothing happens in Ragash that I do not know about."

Again, the issue of the royal family arose. While Audun had already informed her of the former queen's intent to flee to Elbion, so far as she knew the princes had thus far been cooperative. Perhaps they knew their father was a despot, perhaps not. It was clear that they wished to succeed him and that they did not care that Salitra was part of a greater picture now.

"We seek to integrate Salitra into the Empire as seamlessly as possible. Your family need not 'take back' what we would give freely. I will have no need to hunt them down." Again, the vizier spoke very plainly, choosing not to be cryptic or vague.

"All that being said, I understand by now that words mean very little without actions to back them up. Which brings me to my offer."
Medja's focus upon Nym redoubled, an inner fire burning its way to the surface. The sorceress found it easy to build such intent, the Princess's green-hued eyes reflecting Medja's own vibrant orbs.
"Rather than retreat to the comfort of the Mchawi islands, stay in Ragash and learn for yourself why I am so confident. I offer you a position in my ranks as an Onyx Hand. You will be paid and allowed your choice of residence. I will even aid you in tracking down your betrayer."

As the woman mocked her father, Nym's gaze narrowed to one that would have been far more dangerous if she had the use of her legs. Her jaw clenched and her knuckles paled as they gripped hold of the bench, finding the hilt of Uvogin's blade in her peripheral. It took all she had not to reach for it and lash out for the woman's throat..She didn't comment, her expression was clear enough that she didn't appreciate the Vizier's words.

The tension in her shoulders slowly eased as she came to the subject of her family once again and her head tilted.. "They'll need protection, if they return to Salitra." she arched a brow. Nym had no intention of returning to Salitra. It'd been far more her family's home than hers, there was nothing there for her now.

Nym stared back at Medja just as intently, the corner of her lips tugging slightly as she found the woman a bit of an intriguing challenge. The words 'retreat' and 'comfort' were clearly meant to make her feel weak and cowardly if she accepted the offer. She fully intended on rejecting the woman's alternative proposal with a sneer. Payment and residence felt like more of an insult, she wouldn't be employed like that, and the brief crease at her brow betrayed how disdainful she found the idea. It softened though, at the mention of her betrayer.

Of course this woman knew who'd handed her over, she believed her when she said she knew all. Nym's jaw clenched and she looked down at her feet for another moment as she considered. "Give me a name.. And I'll keep my current residence with freedom to come and go as I please. My family return home with protection. And I won't be summoned like a dog." she named her terms and lifted her gaze to the woman, her chin tilting a little higher.

How silly she was to have thought she'd be retiring in peace..

Last edited:
  • Sip
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Medja and Halul
Well that wasn't quite the response she had been expecting, but it beat having to fend off a blade. She could read the annoyance and anger on the girl's face like a book. People were usually honored to be given such an opportunity. What truly caught her off guard was this princess, who had supposedly been raised as anything but, still very much acted like one. The sorceress folded her arms across her chest and huffed, jutting out her lower lip in a slightly exaggerated pout.
"My, you are a touchy one. I'm only trying to help you, dear. More so I thought you might become bored returning to the islands. People usually like to be paid for doing what they do best." Medja supposed, ever the picture of poise and grace.

Medja waved a hand dismissively and smiled. Providing ample protection for a travelling family of nobles seemed like it went without saying, but she reassured Nym nonetheless.
"Your family will be well protected, I can personally assure you of that. All who work for me are the very apex of competence...just one more reason I extended such an offer to you." She smiled again. It was a genuine compliment; you'd have to be competent to land a blow like that on Gerra. "As I've already said, you're free to go where you please. Just try not to break any laws while in an Imperial city, if you can, darling."

"As for the name of your perpetrator, that is something we will have to dig for together. I can tell you right now that your mother is innocent, though."
The hand she sat in rotated forwards and she 'stood' from its palm, feet never touching the ground. She was certain that the girl would have more questions for her, or perhaps just wanted to take a swing. Medja would deny her neither satisfaction.

Nym’s lips twitched, refraining from grinning as Medja commented on her touchiness. Her father was what he was but he was her father nonetheless. She’d been loyal to no end, and she’d far rather keep the thought of the man being torn apart as far from her mind as possible. Gerra had shown a similar lack of compassion when he’d told her about it..

The Vizier was giving her all of the right assurances, even paying her compliments and stroking at her wounded pride a little more. She didn’t seem like the type of woman she’d be wise to make an enemy of, but Nym’s social skills had never been too well practised outside of her extremely small circle. For everything else there has always been only distrust, burned into her mind by her father’s words.

She let out a breath she hadn’t realised that she’d been holding on to as the woman gave her the news of her mother, and she nodded gratefully, swallowing down the ache in her throat. The woman had never been allowed to be much of a mother to her, but the idea of her betraying her like that had been a troubling one. “Who told Gerra? I can work backwards from there.” she asked firmly in acceptance of the woman’s offer. Now that she was sure it wasn’t her mother she was less bothered by the thought of killing whoever it was.

“Thank you...” she told her finally. “Has my friend remained in the city?” she asked, hoping Lani was still around.

She frowned gently and turned to look up at Uvogin as he stood ever silent.. “I suppose that means you’re released from your duties of watching over me.” she offered a light smile, her tone more sombre than it should have been at the prospect of being left alone again.

Last edited:
  • Cry
  • Yay
Reactions: Medja and Halul
Leaning against the stone bench, Uvogin silently listened to the pair talk. Only after Nymeasha addressed him did the captain finally speak up.

“Yes, I suppose so,” he quietly echoed and glanced between the women, “The vizier and I often work in tandem. I am sure we will cross paths many more times. Now, if I am not needed...” Uvogin pushed off the bench and strode towards the palace. Before exiting the garden, he turned back and found Nymeasha’s gaze.

“You, now being free and under the employ of the lovely vizier, are welcome to seek me out should the need- or desire- arise.” The captain smiled to the young woman, and glanced at Medja before making his exit.

• Cheer
  • Love
Reactions: Medja and Nym
Medja watched quietly as Uvogin stood to leave and gave him a playful wave. It was good to see him from time to time for...various reasons, though his attention was now clearly on the Salitran princess for the time being. Not that Medja could blame him. Once he was gone, the vizier continued her discourse with Nymeasha. She leaned down and brushed a lock of hair from the girl's face and smiled warmly.

"You deserve your vengeance, and a chance to shine on your own. I will give you both." The vizier's tone was gentle and kindly. Something in her empathized with Nymeasha's situation, and she greatly wished to see the young noble get what she wanted. "Once you're healed, start with a beastfolk fellow named Kaphiri. He was the one who let us in on your existence."

Then she rose, folded her arms across her chest, and rested her chin atop her hand. Her meeting with the Mchawi princess had gone quite well; in truth, she was very much looking forward to working with both of these newcomers.
"Noelani was quite insistent that she get to see you, though last I saw her she was in Annuakat. I'll send word for her to join us here; I'm sure she'll be eager to meet up with you."

Nym's emerald gaze followed the Captain as he got up and left, her smile returning as he stopped and turned to speak to her again. Need or desire...The captain had certainly woken those. She cleared her throat and dipped her chin, her lips twitching slightly as she refrained from grinning. "Thank you again, Uvogin." she smiled warmly and dropped her gaze with a quiet sigh. The peace had been enjoyable whilst it'd lasted.. perhaps they'd find some more of those moments he spoke of.

She lifted her attention back to Medja as the woman brushed her hair back from her face, the action and the warm smile disarming to her, she wasn't used to such affections, but she didn't pull away either. She listened to her with a gentle nod, making a mental note of the name, though she sighed with a hint of frustration.. "I should hopefully find my strength again over the next few days.."

Nym returned the vizier's earlier warmth in a smile of her own as she spoke of Lani and she nodded "I'd appreciate that, Vizier. Thank you... And thank you for allowing me to stay. The palace feels much more comfortable now that it no longer serves as my prison.."

• Love
Reactions: Halul
The princess seemed markedly more calm now, to Medja's satisfaction. She had almost expected Nym to snatch her by the wrist. It was good to see that she was receptive to such tender gestures.
"My best healers will be at your beck and call. You will recover far faster than you would naturally, or at the hands of one of Gerra's apothecaries."

Nym gave Medja a lovely smile of her own, and the vizier was positively delighted. She clasped her hands together and pressed them to her cheek, positively beaming.
"You're quite welcome, darling. You are my honored guest, first and foremost. If you'll allow me the indulgence, I'll spoil you rotten."

Knowing the quality of the Mchawi people's ships and Ragash's location along the river, she imagined it would only be a couple of days before the friends were reunited. Until then at the very least, Medja planned to treat the princess as a princess should be treated.

• Sip
  • Yay
Reactions: Settra and Halul
Nym seemed to study the woman for a long moment, listening to her words, seeing how pleased she seemed to be, the pet name and her promises to spoil her. A princess she was, but although she'd never been deprived of fine foods and clothes she'd never been spoiled by anyone. Her life had been far too regimented, her life was a job. She wanted to ask why the woman was being so kind to her, the question had been on her lips but she breathed them back in and simply smiled.

"You're, kind.." she frowned softly, the confusion quite apparent in her expression. Still, she decided that the woman was intriguing, and that she would give her the chance she wanted. "But I must ask, what exactly has Lani done to result in such a drastic change of action?" her head tilted. She'd been a prisoner one day and the next she was free and an 'honoured guest' despite her attempt on the Emperor's life, it had to be something major to cause such a shift.

• Popcorn
  • Sip
Reactions: Halul and Medja
"Quite simple, really: she asked me." Medja replied. She recalled the meeting the pair had gathered for on the docks in Annuakat. Noelani was pleasant, agreeable, and very straightforward. The latter quality had left something of an impression on the vizier; the Mchawi diplomat didn't beat around the bush, and Medja liked that. "I, for one, didn't believe that you have any reason to be held captive. Seeing you free also makes it easier for the Empire to form an alliance with the Mchawi without any need for violence, but that is merely a bonus."

Truth, though Medja's own reasoning for following through went beyond the desire to negotiate an alliance between the two nations. Studying up on Nymeasha's upbringing had evoked some rather sour memories. Medja couldn't help but empathize with the poor girl, and she soon found herself wanting to pamper her.

The sorceress whisked a finger through the air and one of the Fists of Aramekh heeded her motion, floating weightlessly towards Nym. It uncurled itself into a beckoning, open palm, fingers outstretched towards the princess. Medja was certain that the girl didn't want to have to limp and crawl her way out of the gardens.

"May I offer you a ride?"

• Love
  • Yay
Reactions: Settra and Nym
Nym's gaze narrowed in thought as she listened to the woman. That was it? She just asked her?..Nym had asked plenty of times, she'd broken her voice screaming about it for days. "Oh.. I see." she nodded gently and offered a soft smile. "Well, I am glad she did. Lani has always been a good friend, her people are an excellent ally to have."

A slender brow arched as she watched one of the large, clay fists float toward her and she looked to Medja, looking for some sort of reassurance. She was curious, but still not entirely sure she could trust the magic that powered the hovering hand. With a sharp sigh and a nod she decided, and pulled herself gingerly to her feet, a hesitant hand reaching to hold on to structure. With another uncertain glance to Medja she twisted and pulled herself up into the palm, her knuckles white as she held firmly, and looked down at the ground as she hovered above it.

"Hah!...Curious." she smiled, and eased a little, her feet dangling in the air. It was far better than crawling, better than a cane too... better than Uvogin's arm though? That remained to be seen.

• Cheer
Reactions: Medja
Medja laughed to herself as Nym awkwardly pulled herself onto the Fist. It wasn't often that anyone besides the sorceress herself got to ride in one. The girl had already discovered for herself that the things were quite sturdy, held aloft by Medja's own prodigious earth magic. The thing didn't so much as dip or shift until Nymeasha was fully on board. Once she was, its fingers curled up to form a makeshift seatback for her convenience.

"People often do not appreciate the versatility earth magic can have; most practitioners limit themselves to hurling rocks, but there are far more interesting and useful applications."
She mused, beckoning the fist to begin following her out of the garden. She looked over her shoulder, warmth in her gaze.

"You won't regret this, Nymeasha. I promise."

• Love
  • Yay
Nym smiled at the woman as she spoke of her magic. She couldn't help but feel a little envious. Nym was well trained in combat, but most of her work relied on her stealth and speed. She enjoyed the power of being better than her targets and seeing them fall..how powerful it must feel to hone such abilities as Medja, Lani and Gerra.

She settled back against the stone appendages and curled her feet up, realising that the woman quite literally had her in her palm...She wondered if it had been on purpose. Her gaze narrowed slightly at her words, somehow doubting that would be true. "I hope not, Medja. I've grown tired of regrets and broken promises." her brow lifted, and in that moment she felt truly guilty as she thought of her father and the promise she was breaking to him.

Last edited:
  • Sip
The sorceress fell back to float in stride with the advancing mitt. She could hear the remorse in Nymeasha's voice. Poor dear...Medja couldn't empathize with the feelings of loss or betrayal to her father, but she had experienced more than her fair share of regretful actions over the course of her unnaturally long life span. She had betrayed and been betrayed time and time again and knew the pangs of guilt and the sting of treachery alike. Her days of being on the offending side were long over now that she had gotten where she was.

Medja ran a comforting hand gently along Nym's shoulder and along the back of her neck, the smoothness of Medja's skin unparalleled. Then she brought her fingers into Nym's hair to tenderly massage the girl's scalp. It was a reassuring gesture meant to fill the void that words could not, to take the princess' mind off of her woes. It would be the first of many acts of spoiling her.

"You don't have to worry anymore, darling." She murmured, smiling warmly.

The duo eventually would meander their way back into the palace proper, working their way back to the room which had been set aside for Nym. A thought had crossed Medja's mind as she floated on: Nym might want a way to occupy her time a little better, perhaps to advance herself beyond just being a trained killer. Working as a Hand would of course give her an opportunity to succeed on her own, but maybe she wanted something a little more.

"You know...I've been mentoring others in the magical arts for some time now. I could show you the ropes, if you wished it."

• Love
  • Yay
The tender touch had been unexpected, and so Nym tensed warily. It was new to her, and it'd take some getting used to, but after a short moment her tension melted and her limbs hung loose. She closed her eyes and tilted her neck slightly to allow the woman more free reign. It was, nice, and Nym made a subconscious throaty sound of approval in response to her words. Of course that wasn't entirely true, Nym thought to herself. She'd always have to worry about something.

Nymeasha's eyes snapped open as Medja spoke again and she turned to look at her, jade hues searching her face as though trying to figure out if she was serious or not. "You can teach it?..." she asked, and a soft frown creased at her brow. "I tried to learn once before.. It didn't work.. But I'd like to try again, if you'll teach me." she nodded, and her cheeks dimpled as a warm smile transformed her face.

• Bless
Satisfied that her ministrations had the intended effect, Medja hummed to herself as she aided Nym down the halls. There was a distinct sense of satisfaction in providing comfort for another, especially one who was perhaps not used to being treated as such. She'd have to call for wine and masseurs once they'd reached Nym's room.

"You can teach it?..."
The girl seemed genuinely surprised at Medja's offer. While natural talent and magic sensitivity made for a helpful basis for learning magic, very few people in this world truly had a complete inability to perform it.
"I can, and I'd be more than happy to take you under my tutelage, dear."

Nym's smile was infectious. Medja stuck a coy finger in one of the princess' dimples, grinning right back.
"We'll make a proper mage of you yet!"

• Love
  • Yay
Nym's smile remained and she nodded at the woman "I'd like that.. Thank you, Medja." she frowned softly and dropped her gaze. She had only just met the woman and she'd offered her more than her father ever had in her entire life. As grateful as she was, it was a sad and hollow thought as she continued to mourn the man. She'd fully believed he'd cared about her, but deep down she knew she'd been manipulated and moulded into nothing more than a well sharpened tool. She was realising that more and more, but she kept her thoughts locked behind her teeth and smiled again..

"I'll certainly try.." she agreed, unable to imagine herself honing any magical talent, but Medja was clearly an impressive woman, perhaps she'd surprise her.

• Yay
At last, the vizier arrived at Nym's quarters, princess in tow. The clay hand the girl rode upon gently deposited her onto the bed, careful not to put any strain on her injuries. Medja fetched a chair and took a seat across from Nym, then drew a small bell into her hand from across the room and rang it. A servant poked into the room shortly after and Medja requested some amenities be delivered. As she listed her wanted to the servant she turned to Nymeasha.

"Is there anything you'd like, dear?" She asked, then paused momentarily. "Perhaps just a listening ear?"

Once Nym had added her own requests to the list and the servant had left the room, Medja reclined in her chair and gave the princess a reassuring smile.
"Despite my role here in the Empire, I know surprisingly little about you. I'd like to change that."

• Love
  • Yay
Nym had never been the pampered princess as much as she could put on the act at times. She had a handmaiden, but otherwise wasn't used to the fuss that the rest of her family had demanded, and so Medja would take some getting used to. Not that she minded it.

She requested some wine and curled her legs toward her to settle against her pillows, teeth capturing her lower lip to chew as she considered the Vizier's words.. A listening ear? Gods, how long did she have? Luckily, Nym didn't speak much about herself, her life or her family. It'd been part of who she was to be silent after all.

"There is not much to know.. I was not meant to be known of." she smirked and shrugged a shoulder nonchalantly. "If you have questions then I can try to answer them, but I confess I'm not particularly well practised in conversation.." her gaze narrowed.

"Perhaps if you told me more of you, and your work.." her brow arched.. "Tell me more of the woman I've just signed my life over to." she added with a hint of antipathy..

• Bless
"I was not meant to be known of."

"That, darling," Medja began, stepping gently onto the floor and leaning in front of Nym. "Is something we have in common."

Ever a stickler for dramatic flair, the vizier pushed off the ground with a toe and gently floated back into her seat. She folded her legs across each other and placed her hands in her lap.
"What would you wish to know? Of the woman I am today, of my accomplishments within the Empire and my service to Lord Gerra?" The sorceress twisted sideways in her chair, leaning back and lifting her legs up to sit in a position that would be otherwise impossible if not for her magic and core strength. She waved a hand through the air as she continued as if she were painting strokes on an invisible canvas. "Perhaps of my trysts or my trifles? Of men I've brought to heel, or of my hobbies that I tend to in my free time? Or, perhaps..."
Medja rolled over in place and lifted a leg to meet with the small of her back, then rested her chin on the backs of her hands. She was now wholly airborne, but looked as though she was resting atop a bed.

"Perhaps you'd like to know how I got here in the first place. How an orphan from the dregs of society could have become the mistress of a city and a confidant to the Emperor?" Medja finished before rolling over one last time and letting her hair hang down to the floor, gazing playfully and upside-down at her new charge.

"I have many tales I could weave for you dear, and the night is young. How can I indulge your curiosity?"

• Wonder
  • Yay
Nym watched the woman's impressive display with a warm smile in amusement, her jade hues glistening with curiosity, as though the doors to an entirely new world had just been thrown open before her. Uvogin had done his bit to calm her with his stories the previous night, and she was only too keen to hear of Medja's. Every option was one of enticement, and she bit on her lip like a child being asked to choose which sweet bread she wanted to eat.

"Well.. these legs will take some time to properly heal.. Seems I have nothing but time." she fluffed her pillow to settle her head and full lips tugged into a smirk at the enchanting woman. "I suppose, the beginning is usually a good place to start.." she suggested with a quirk of her brow.

• Sip
Satisfied that her display had earned the reaction she'd been seeking, Medja rolled over once again and rested her chin upon her hands, still laying mid air. The beginning, hmm? That was a very, very long time ago. Medja wondered just how much she'd end up revealing to Nym, or if perhaps the girl would surmise that Medja had accomplished more than was likely possible given her apparent age. Regardless, the vizier ceased her theatrics and started in.

"As you wish, darling," She began. "Surprising as it may seem, I was not born into the high life in Ragash, nor even into a life of stability. The Imperial Vizier of Stars was born to beggars."

Medja fixed her eyes to the floor as she continued, pensive. She didn't particularly enjoy thinking about her origins, but she was willing to share.
"My parents abandoned me before I could even remember their faces. I, a mere child, had no one to rely on but myself. I scrounged for food where possible and lived in an orphanage when I could, and in the street when I couldn't. I detested that lifestyle."

A ghost of a smile crept across her lips as she thought of the start of her ascent.
"So I began to claw my way out."

• Wonder
  • Yay
Nym made herself comfortable and accepted a cup of wine as the servers returned with what had been asked for. The timid looking male cast Nym a hesitant look as he poured it, and she recognised him as one of a few whom she'd launched several jugs and trays of food at. She offered an apologetic smile, and settled back to sip at her drink.

Medja had her undivided attention, her expression soft with compassion as she spoke of her hardship and her eyes creasing in a warm smile with anticipation as she continued. Nym had hardships, but not like those, hers were an entirely different sort, and much like with Uvogin's story she could not imagine a life on the streets or starving for food. Guilt swept over her and she sighed quietly but she gave no interruption as she drank and watched the woman over the rim of her cup.

• Cheer
Reading Nym's silence as interest, Medja continued on.

"And what a climb it was," "As soon as I was old enough I began learning how to dance. When you start at the bottom you have to take what advantages you can, and this..." Medja traced the curvature of her body with a finger. "I knew was an advantage."

The vizier grimaced. Ugly memories were never a particularly fond thing to recall, but they were a part of her history.
"I didn't like it. I dealt with plenty of disgusting pigs in my time, but I knew it was the most efficient way to get the two things I wanted: influence and funds." She explained, lips curling upwards. She stared into a glass of wine as though it were some sort of window into her past. Before she knew it she was lost in the story, though still intentionally vague on certain details.

"Any dancer can simply move her body and take a man's gold. I picked my patrons more carefully...I reinvested much of my money into acquiring information, learning who the most influential people were and when and where they liked to spend time in bars and brothels. I earned favors and stole secrets, I blackmailed and extorted, I walked on anyone who got in my way." Medja broke eye contact with the dark red liquid in her goblet and locked her eyes on Nym's. She was both haunted and fascinated by these little moments of her past, and her eyes reflected it.

"I can't begin to tell you the things I did, the people I've been involved with. I caught the attention of a crime ring, rose to rule it, then discarded it when it no longer suited me. I destroyed marriages for pleasure and power. I seized secrets until every last gods-be-damned noble in this city was in the palm of my hand." Medja gritted her teeth, wrinkled her nose, balled her free hand into a fist as she spoke. Then, at once, she relented and smiled jovially.

"And I dabbled in a little earth magic here and there in my down time." She finished with a small giggle.

• Love
  • Yay
Nym didn't take her eyes from the woman's face for a single moment as she spoke, and so when the two locked gazes Nym's eyes creased with the smile that curled on her lips. The woman was even more impressive than she imagined, and she felt herself inspired by her dramatic climb to the woman she now was, and quickly threw any thoughts of self pity from her mind. Nym had climbed too, but her start in life, although void of nurture, was both wealthy and healthy and she was given a far better fighting chance than Medja or Uvogin had.

Filth, her father had called them. And look at them now, she thought with a twist of her lips.

There was no way of hiding the sheer awe from her expression as the woman finished talking, and she gave a swoon of a sigh and shook her head. "You are an impressive woman. I do hope to remain on the better side of you." she laughed under her breath. Nym was confident in her abilities, but without her father or his men behind her, without a home, her confidence was on a shaky peg. She had never felt entirely alone before, and she was glad that this intimidating woman had not seemed to judge her for who she was, or the fact that she'd tried to murder her emperor. Medja wanted her to work with her, and she decided in that moment that she'd try not to disappoint, or anger her.

"My story is nowhere near as remarkable." Nym smirked and looked down as she swirled her wine in her cup. "My father was a paranoid man. His first child was to be made a weapon that he could trust, and so I was. I was more a tool in his armoury than I was a part of his family.. But he was still my father..." her shoulder shrugged and she lifted her eyes with a semblance or wariness..

"I assume, you intend on using me for the same purposes as he did?.." she asked, arching a slender brow and taking another long sip of wine.

• Cheer