Fable - Ask Start Again

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first

Sable Pembroke

The Bulwark
Character Biography
Link
How long had it been now? Six months? Longer? Sable wasn't sure. He'd never cared to track the passing of time as he sat within his cell, days rolling by like leaves scattered in the wind. The fortress city of Vel Salvus was an austere one, far from the usual aesthetic that House Pirian tried to put on, and the prison in which Sable was being held was no exception. Even still, they treated him well. Better than he deserved, that much was certain.

Sable wished he could trace the moment when his life went off the rails. How did it come to this? How had he come to abandon his values and surrender himself to rage and madness? Maybe it didn't really matter. He was serving his penance for it now. He only wished he could atone. To Kristen, to Chasmine, to his proctors who had wasted their time on raising him at the Academy. Until then he would wait, and quietly rot his life away, jailed...exactly as he'd deserved.

• Spoon Cry
Reactions: Kristen Pirian
THE DREADLORD ACADEMY

Evangeline sat at her desk, rifling through papers as she frequently did after classes were done for the day. She could scarcely believe that she'd been teaching for two years now. How times had changed within Vel Anir, within the Academy. Had someone asked her where she thought she'd be when she herself had graduated over a decade prior, she never would have thought to answer that she'd be right back here.

Yet frequently there was something that crossed Proctor D'amour's mind, a failing on her part which panged her heart with guilt and sorrow nearly every day: the Bloody Graduation. Her first year of teaching had concluded with what she could only describe as calamity. Everything she'd fought to prevent was inflicted upon many of the Academy's most promising graduates of that year, and as she flipped through documents a name stuck out that reminded her of a particularly tragic case.

Sable Pembroke.

The young man had needed guidance after the Bloody Graduation, and in his most vulnerable hours he received no help. Evangeline had read the Zettal file. How could she not? Kristen Pirian had been there, a girl she considered her kin. Sable was Evangeline's personal failing, and she wondered how she might right that wrong.

Perhaps it was time to get some new perspective on the matter. Perhaps it was time to correct one of her many failures. Evangeline pushed the papers aside and stood, taking up the cane that ever served to remind her of her flaws. She knew where Kristen might be at this hour; Evangeline would see how her young charge felt about the matter.

Kristen Pirian

• Wonder
"'Etiquette class'," Proctor Magomo said, this with one of those cutting smiles of his. "Can you believe that, Initiate Pirian? Can you believe you almost had your time wasted with 'etiquette class' when you could have been training that muffin-disposal pouch you call a body?"

Kristen, caught slightly off guard, nevertheless responded, "No, Proctor."

Proctor Magomo's smile became more cutting. "Thought I wouldn't see that, huh? Are you fond of blueberry muffins, Initiate Pirian?"

"Yes, Proctor."

"Do you think you earned it, Initiate Pirian?"

There was only one acceptable answer. "Yes, Proctor."

"That's not the level of volume that convinces me, Initiate Pirian."

"YES, PROCTOR!"

"That's better." He glanced over Kristen's shoulder, spotting something or someone, and then looked back to Kristen. "You keep up your marks in physical training, you can stuff your face with blueberry muffins until you shit out a bakery. You start regressing in your physical training, especially now, and I will shove my boot so far up your ass you'll be able to tie the laces with your tongue. You got me?"

"Yes, Proctor!"

"Good. Dismissed."

They had been standing the main courtyard of the Academy, and Proctor Magomo departed for the Proctors' Building. Kristen chanced to turn around, seeing him pass by...

"Proctor D'Amour," Kristen said, her heart leaping with pleasant surprise.

Evangeline

• Popcorn
Reactions: Evangeline
*Sigh.* Magomo. Evangeline had heard the man's tirade as she approached. She'd never been particularly fond of the man's rhetoric, but he did put up results and his methods were not entirely dissimilar from her own. Evangeline nodded her bewildered greeting to him as they passed each other, but quickly rallied into a pleasant air as she approached Kristen.

"At ease, Initiate...and good afternoon, Kristen," she greeted the Darling Daughter doubly and with a smile. "I hate to be all business, but there was a matter I wished to discuss with you. Namely about the young Dreadlord you subdued in Zettal. Have you any prior engagements?"

• Nervous
Zettal. Sable. Not quite a chill, but something akin to one, flowed down the back of her neck.

"No, Proctor D'Amour, I have no such engagements. I have already finished Proctor Magomo's regimen for the day, and it will be a couple of hours yet before swordsmanship practice."

Evangeline

• Bless
"Splendid. And thank you for the reminder, I've been meaning to check in on your progress in swordplay. It's been some time since I've seen you in martial spellcraft class," Evangeline said with all her usual professionalism, tinged with a hint of satisfaction over her pupil. Would that they could have the time to talk about more pleasant matters more frequently. "Let's take a walk, shall we?"

The Proctor began to walk back towards the commons, a purposeful pace despite her injury. Those initiates and staff who were around were quickly dispersing back to their dorms and offices, but Evangeline felt no need to hide their topic of conversation anyways.
"I'll cut to the chase, Kristen: what is your assessment of Third Level Dreadlord Pembroke? How do you feel about his imprisonment?"

• Stressed
Kristen followed at Evangeline's beckoning, and the question hinted at by the mention of Zettal came shortly thereafter.

"He is very, very troubled, Proctor D'Amour. He was at Zettal unable to perform his duties without wanton recklessness and a..."

She was loathe to use the word, but it, unfortunately, was true.

"...callous disregard for the lives of all those in his vicinity, myself and Initiate Adagio included. The Rogue Dreadlord Zael Castomir was able to escape in no small part due to Dreadlord Pembroke's instability. Tragically, he is a danger to himself and to everyone around him. It is the Initiate's opinion that Dreadlord Pembroke's imprisonment is for his own good."

She wished she didn't have to say that. She wished that the Sable she once knew inhabited the broken shell of the man she had witnessed in Zettal.

Evangeline

• Thoughtful
Kristen's assessment gave Evangeline pause. A sharp clack rung out as her heel struck a sudden stop, and she turned to examine Kristen, preening her expression in the same calculative way her uncle often did. Apparently satisfied with whatever she'd come up with from doing so, Evangeline turned and walked on.

"Indeed. The report and the testimony of several eye witnesses corroborate your opinion, Initiate."

Evangeline reached a door way and entered, rounding into one of the Academy's many broad corridors.

"And what of Initiate Sable Pembroke? What was your assessment of him?"

• Spoon Cry
"He was..."

Kristen struggled to say it, for the sorrow of what once was weighed upon her, its tragedy heavy.

"...an honorable man. An inspiration."

Evangeline

Evangeline sighed. To be excpected.
"I believe so as well," she intoned more softly, understanding the weight of what she'd asked. "I have been doing some research into the incident at Zettal. Of those whose whereabouts we know of or whom have not perished since their time at the Academy, I believe you knew Sable Pembroke best. I would like to present some information to you, and then a proposal. One you might not like, given your initial answer."

She slowed her pace until Kristen was astride her, rather than leading her along.
"I value your input, Kristen. That's why I'm doing this. Will you hear me out?"

• Thoughtful
Even though it was Evangeline, still it was odd to hear such a question—will you hear me out?—from a Proctor. Yet more so than their familiarity with one another, the question spoke to this matter with Sable reaching beyond the bounds of the Academy and the incident at Zettal. A greater significance than Kristen initially surmised was afoot here.

"Yes, Proctor D'Amour," she said, unable to hide her sincere caution sprouting up from the mention of the proposal that she might not like.

Evangeline

• Sip
Caution was good. Kristen had been raised right. Naivety would serve her no good here, nor out in the world as a Dreadlord. Evangeline smiled and led her on. The walk down the corridor was carried on in silence until at last the two had returned to the proctor's office.

Evangeline set about picking a dossier from her file cabinet, setting it on her desk and displaying several documents from within, all prominently featuring Sable Pembroke.
"I've strong reason to believe that Sable's...episode, was significantly out of his control. Aside from the very obvious reasoning, his presence at the Bloody Graduation, as well as what we are no aware were his repressed memories of being forced to kill another initiate at a very early age, there were a number of more disturbing factors that contributed to Sable's violent rampage at Zettal."

Evangeline went about explaining and pointing out individual reports within the file.
"The first and most prominent was the mishandling of his psychiatric state after his graduation, both Bloody and otherwise. He was put under the command of an officer that has confessed, on record, to have intentionally exacerbated his condition, and exploiting his increased proclivity for violence by exclusively sending him on kill missions."

• Stressed
From the outside courtyard to Evangeline's office. Kristen stood before Evangeline's desk with her hands folded behind her back. Not with the rigidity of the highest military bearing, but not relaxed either.

Hardly could Kristen hide how aghast she was upon hearing just how unwell Sable truly had been, and, worse, how the ailment afflicting his mind had been deliberately agitated. Blessed Aionus, Sable! Dear Sable! Betrayed by a pitiful excuse for an officer when at his most vulnerable.

"Proctor D'Amour...why? Why would this officer do such a thing to Dreadlord Pembroke?"

It was as baffling as it was horrid to Kristen. Were not the Guard and the Dreadlords to act as one, each helping the other? An incident like the Bloody Graduation, that was...the Republic couldn't possibly be allowing incidents of a similar vein, like with Sable and this officer, to happen, through negligence or otherwise. They couldn't.

Evangeline

It was as confusing to Kristen as it was to Evangeline. Some of the documents presented had large black lines over portions of the text. The proctor tapped one in particular.
"Lieutenant Cambridge is still under investigation. I'm not at liberty to explain everything...in fact, I'm not even technically supposed to  have some of this information. Ten years of service as a Dreadlord did earn me a few connections, however," she half scoffed, half laughed, exasperated. Even if she wasn't under such a restriction it would have been hard for her to relate what was next.

"What I can tell you is...also quite disturbing. Cambridge also suffered a string of tragedies shortly prior to Sable coming under her command, and reported suffering from uncharacteristic irritability, intense migraines, and vivid nightmares for several months...sound familiar?" Evangeline eyed Kristen before shaking her head, still trying to wrap her mind around the ludicrous details.

"The Lieutenant reported that these symptoms alleviated abruptly, 'as if by magic,' in her words, six months ago...around the time the incident in Zettal occurred..."

• Nervous
Kristen's eyes shifted rapidly as she tried to make sense of it all. Her gaze came to settle again on Proctor D'Amour.

"Did..."

Searching for the right words was like grasping in the dark.

"...something...transfer between Lieutenant Cambridge and Dreadlord Pembroke?"

Exquisite timing often cast a strong shadow of doubt on the notion of coincidence. And here, the timing of these events being so centered around Zettal...a strong shadow indeed.

Evangeline

• Nervous
Evangeline shook her head.
"I'm not sure. It could be the case, or it could be that someone is targeting individuals within the Anirian army. It could also all be coincidental, but..." she chewed at her own thumbnail. She'd already racked her brain thoroughly trying to work out exactly what was going on here, but she didn't have all the pieces.

"Here. These are the psychiatric evaluations done on both Cambridge and Pembroke after the latter's detainment."

Looking over the documents would reveal that the Lieutenant was entirely normal, minus some lingering insomnia and the presence of somewhat heightened stress caused by her recent divorce; the woman was incredibly committed to her career and did not get home often, and she had caught her husband in bed with a mistress.

Sable, meanwhile, suffered from moderate depression, but did not display any noticeable signs of post traumatic stress, despite his history.

"These are not the results I would have expected from a pair of people that just had continuous mental breakdowns, Kristen. Cambridge had no record of mistreatment of her men, nor any other noticeable demerits on her service record. Pembroke had good grades and minimal instances of reprimands in his time at the Academy. Something doesn't add up."

• Gasp
Kristen looked over the documents for each, yet it was Evangeline's summary of both which had the greater impact.

She looked up, back to Evangeline. "Do you have an idea of what that might be, Proctor D'Amour?"

In her voice, some of that fright still lingered, yes, but it also came with a note of hope. Was there within Sable that good, honorable man Kristen had known? Was he still there, even if buried beneath tragedy and this mystery, praying for the benevolent intervention of someone, anyone, who still believed in him?

Evangeline

The proctor's brow furrowed deeply.
"Only that these two, and possibly more that we don't yet know about, are as much victims as they are aggressors. That the actions they performed went against their natures. This is all greatly concerning to me, Kristen; I'm going to have to dig quite a bit deeper if all of what's happening here is to be properly brought to light. But that isn't why I called you here."

One last document was revealed from beneath the desk and slid across for the young Pirian noble's review.

"REQUEST FOR PARDON AND RELEASE"

A letter addressed to Tobias Pirian. It was a petition to have Sable Pembroke released from Vel Salvus prison and into the custody of the Anirian Knights of Vel Castere.
"I think Sable was mishandled and manipulated, Kristen. He was left vulnerable after an experience that shook him to his core, and rather than look after him the way it should, the Republic left him to spiral into madness. I gave several groups quite some thought; the Knights have a reputation for raising paragons out of their soldiers, and he'll be among some familiar faces from his graduating class, as well as people more than capable of detaining him once again if the worst should happen. All that being said..."

Evangeline reached across the table to take Kristen's hand. This was perhaps never a meeting between mentor and pupil, but between peers--between friends.
"Kristen...I am telling you all of this only because I desire your input. I've had this letter written for a week and can't bring myself to send it. Do you believe Sable Pembroke deserves a second chance?"

Some time later...

As it would turn out, the answer to Evangeline's question had been "yes." The formal request was sent off, and soon enough it found its way into the hands of Lord Pirian. What came next was a simple waiting game. With the torch passed to the highest authority involved, Evangeline could only hope that her lord would do the right thing.

VEL SALVUS

Regular correspondence from Evangeline D'Amour was nothing surprising to Lord Tobias. It had been his initial suggestion that she apply to the Academy for a teaching position following the Anirian Revolution, and as perhaps the most devoted adherent to House Pirian's ideals he'd ever encountered it came as no shock that she enjoyed playing pen pal with Tobias. In truth, it was pleasant to see that Evangeline had fit so well into her new role and that she was enjoying it as much as she had been.

This month, the letter that came across Tobias' desk in his study in the Pirian hold of Vel Salvus, however, was not the usual correspondence he'd come to expect. The Pirian lord frowned as he looked it over. A pardon and release request for a prisoner being held within the local prison was...odd, to say the least. Until Tobias happened to check the name of the prisoner in question and noted the attached signature of his niece, Kristen Pirian. Things became substantially more clear once those details had been elucidated.

The documentation Evangeline had included was thorough, as was habitual for the former Second Level Dreadlord. Tobias hardly felt the need to follow up on the information she'd sent alongside her request, but over the course of a few days Tobias did indeed check in on the particulars, mainly with the prison's warden.

It wasn't difficult to discern that everything was accurate, and that the request had come from a place of compassion and sincerity. Satisfied with his own research into the matter, Tobias began to write a letter of his own, addressed to the name smartly suggested as a contact within the Anirian Knights of Vel Castere.

Dear Lieutenant Samantha Black,

I hope this letter finds you well. I write to you in regards to two of your former classmates at the Dreadlord Academy, the first of which is my niece, Kristen Pirian of House Pirian. She has expressed interest in making a request of you regarding the second of your former peers, one Sable Pembroke.

To summarize a rather complex series of events as concisely as I possibly can, Ser Pembroke fell upon a series of events that left him in a disturbed state. Fate saw to it that he landed in an Anirian prison.

Kristen, as well as one of your former mentors, Evangeline D'Amour, have presented me with compelling evidence that Ser Pembroke should be pardoned. However, I could not, and would not, in good faith release Pembroke into an environment where he could not receive the best opportunity to flourish. I do not wish to see a repeat of the tragedy that resulted in his imprisonment.

To that end, it has been suggested by all parties involved that he be released into the care of your company within the Anirian Knights. If you would forgive this ponderous preamble, this leads me to my request:

If it is at all within your convenience, I would see that you pay a visit to us in fair Vel Salvus, due north of Vel Zrada, approximately ten days travel from Vel Castere. I ask that you assess Sable Pembroke and measure his fitness for training among your ranks. I have sent a similar request to your commanding officer as well.

To make it clear, this is by no means a mandatory summons. Should you deny this request, Ser Pembroke shall remain in Salvus' custody until his sentence is complete, and no ill will shall be imparted upon you or your company. Should you accept, you will be compensated for your time.

I thank you for your time and look forward to your correspondence.

Sincerely,
Lord Tobias Pirian

"What do you make of it?" Holstag had never been one to mince words or spare opinions, but he was not a man that shed them without some serious thought on the matter. The Captain had little in the way of experience with Initiates beyond his direct history with the hitherto Ralene Banick, now Samantha Black, and her own ilk.

There did not exist an Initiate from the Academy that was not troubled in some way by the trauma of their upbringing and training. He knew enough of the torturous childhood and training Sam had undergone, horrendous and nightmarish in nature enough for her to not wish to hear more of the others. He knew as well that the two within her Squadron now, Wolf and Sol, had their own baggage of issues to deal with, but Sam had personally vouched for them and had thus far done well in managing their needs and integration into the Knights.

Davi's inclusion to the Knights had been unexpected, now this?

Holstag did not often dislike silence, but Sam had been curiously reticent since he'd called her in and shown her his own letter. The man looked at his protege with a furrowing of his brow, "Black."

"Sir," the Dreadlord looked at him and he recognized the stoic nature of her own face as being deliberate, "I do not know what to make of it."

The Captain sighed and set the letter she'd exchanged to him down on his desk, easing back into his chair, "Sam," he said, garnering sharper attention for the drop of formality, "speak freely."

"I barely know him," she admitted and that earned her a curious look from her elder, "growing up in the Academy together doesn't equate to friendship." Sam's thoughts of Sable were basic at best. She knew him as one of the few in her class capable of giving her a challenge when it came to brute strength. She knew him to be strangely chivalrous and had known him to offer a kind gesture to others like Chasmine. For whatever reason, Sable seemed to fashion himself a man of honor, and while there wasn't anything wrong with that it often seemed weirdly at odds with the nature of the Academy.

Whatever his noble bloodline and deeds earned him, it hadn't been friendship with Ralene Banick. She who had made no effort to strengthen ties with people who she had expected to one day face to the death just for the title of Dreadlord. They did not know one another well enough to warrant sticking up for each other. Sable had helped her pry Zael off that horrible Nurse, but he couldn't bring himself to defend her actions against Zael's harsh judgement, even when it was very likely Zael would not even be alive had she not carried him back to the Academy from the Blackwood.

Not that she had needed or wanted him to, but it spoke of what kind of relationship they had.

Now she was being asked to vouch for him. To stick her neck out for him. To put her own honor and good name and clout on the line for him. All Sam could think of was... why?

"It doesn't make any sense," Sam frowned, why would Kristen or the Proctor of all people pick her out of everyone they could possibly know? And since when had Sable become a Ser?

"The General wants you to look into this matter," Holstag finally admitted, "so it will be done whether it makes sense or not. He has been impressed with my reports on your Squadron. Wolf and Sol have proven themselves well and I believe he sees this as an opportunity to further bolster the Western army."

"Then it's settled," Sam said, "I'll leave in the morning."

"The decision on Pembroke's inclusion is up to you, Black," Holstag reminded her, "even if the General is keen, I trust you to make the soundest judgement for the good of your Squadron. If you deem him fit for the role, I want him under your direct supervision for his probationary training and under your close watch. He'll have six months, just as Wolf did."

"Understood, Sir, but I'm afraid my flat is full..." and she'd hate to lose Cookie and his meals.

Holstag dismissed the issue with a wave, "Sparrow is due for a promotion ...overdue, actually."

That got a slow smirk out of her.

"Not a word... You will write to me your decision before you depart for home and I will see that everything is arranged, needs be."

"Yes, Sir."

"Dismissed."

~~~

Lord Tobias Pirian :

I will see you in ten days.

Lieutenant Dreadlord Black

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Tobias Pirian
A reply wasn't wholly expected, but when a return letter from Samantha Black came across Lord Pirian's desk just a few days later he couldn't help but lift a curious eyebrow and smile. A Pirian's judgment was rarely wrong, and it seemed that the collective intuition of Kristen, Evangeline, and himself had paid dividends once more. Whether or not all that would bear fruit would rely entirely on whether or not this young lieutenant found that same spark of redemption in Sable that they had.

DAYS LATER

Vel Salvus stood before Samantha like a great, solemn monument. It was entirely unlike any other Pirian holdings, a bastion built into the side of a small, lonely mountain, cold and stark and lacking in all the radiant abundance that seemed to pour from every fiber of the average Pirian farm. This place was the definition of function over form. It existed to endure, not to flourish.

Sam was expected, of course. The gates of the thick, stone walls were opened to her upon her arrival, a winged-helmed member of the Stormguard greeting her and escorting her towards where she was to meet Tobias. Her mount would be stabled safely among the Stormguards' fold once she chose to relinquish it.

The Stormguard led her to an upscale carriage, drawn by unique-looking draft horses. The armored soldier would open the door for Samantha, then take up his position on the back of the carriage and await their departure towards their next destination.

Within the carriage, waiting for the lieutenant, was Lord Pirian. He extended his hand in greeting to the young woman.
"Welcome to Vel Salvus, Lieutenant Black. I cannot thank you enough for agreeing to meet here. I know the trek is neither particularly interesting nor easy."

Tobias knocked against the front window of the carriage and the driver let out a "Hyah!" Moments later they began to move through the frigid, cobblestone streets of the fortress city.
"Of course, you are welcome to stay at any lodging of your choosing for however long you need during your time here, on Pirian coin. That includes the guest lodgings of the Pirian estate, if you so wish. That said, I will do my best to take the least of your time as possible."

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Samantha Black
Sam could count on one hand the number of times she'd ridden in a carriage as fancy as this. She needed only one finger to do so, and the memory of that first time did not serve her any pleasure at all. Soured by the image of her father's face in her mind, the carriage buckled under her weight as the Lieutenant hoisted herself inside with limited grace and a dour silence, then seated herself across from Pirian. She eyed the hand briefly for a moment, then took it with a warrior's grip.

The gesture was short and uncomplicated.

"Thank you," and the Lieutenant was not without manners, but they would not preclude her from declining a noble's generosity, "I prefer to pay my own way. If you insist on sparing extra coin on something, put it to a worthy cause. I will find an inn to patronize. Your noble's luxuries are wasted on me, I'm afraid."

Sam fixed the man across from her with a frigid blue gaze, "Pleasantries aside, if we could move on to the issue at hand. I will need to know more about the events surrounding Sable's breakdown."

• Thoughtful
Simple and straight to the point. There was a certain elegance and relief in speaking to career soldiers over fellow politicians and nobility. Tobias silently appreciated the utter lack of flowery language and hidden ulterior motives. This woman was here to do her job, nothing more.

"As you wish," Tobias complied, both to her refusal of his hospitality and her desire to get on to business. She did not mince words, so he would attempt not to either. "As I understand it, Sable entered into an unnaturally sharp mental decline following the incident that I believe has since become known as the 'Bloody Graduation.' Despite showing initial signs of instability, he was granted the rank of Third Level and placed under the command of one Lieutenant Farah Cambridge of the Anirian Guard. Cambridge provoked and exploited Sable's proclivity for violence whilst under her command, sending Sable solely on execution missions."

Lord Pirian recounted the basics of the situation from memory, having spent much time researching the details for himself.
"This all came to a head in and incident Zettal involving my niece, Kristen Pirian, as well as the fugitive Zael Castomir. Sable apparently lost control and--quite destructively--lashed out at his surroundings, though reports say that he was audibly begging for Kristen and the others to put a stop to him. The situation was resolved without loss of life or grievous injury, and after his initial incapacitation, Sable went peacefully into detainment here in Vel Salvus, where he has remained ever since."

Tobias paused with purpose, allowing a moment for Samantha to prod deeper into the details of the subject if she so chose before he continued expositing.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Samantha Black
Cambridge provoked and exploited Sable's proclivity for violence whilst under her command

That sentence did not add up and while Sam had plenty of practice schooling her expression, the furrow of her brow would certainly be of note. Sable never had a proclivity for violence - so much as she could recall from memories of the Academy, though she preferred not to continue delving back into them. Sable did not rank among those she would ascribe such wording to. Not like Charon or various others from Lilian's crowd. Hell, Ralene Banick had a larger proclivity for violence if one asked her former classmates, but hers had never been personal.

She'd just used it to survive. If it made others afraid of her, all the better. Now? Sam preferred more civilized efforts when she could and spared her vigor for when it was truly necessary.

"The initial signs of instability," the Lieutenant spoke finally after Pirian's words gave way to silence, "what were they?"

• Thoughtful