You find yourself in a a patch of barren ground in an eerily silent forest. All around piece of glass have been attached to the trunks of thick trees. They reflect what little light reaches these depths. It was morning when you entered this forest and yet the canopy is so thick it is almost as dark as night. You might wonder if the light of Arethil's two moons would even reach this place at night.
The shards of glass light up. The wizard's face appears. Grangomelle peers at the group of loot runners from all angles.
"Ah there you all are. Change of business today. I can't explain exactly what you may find today because I did not place the artefacts in these woods. I did in fact detect them with a very complicated spell. I sent some acolytes to retrieve them. That was...some days ago. If you find their remains I would be grateful if they could receive a proper burial..."
The reason that the wizard was not here in person was now remarkably obvious. A shrill cry rings out. No birds shake the canopy in response.
"Anyway...There are four items and I know a little of the land. Return the items to me for a quick study and you may then keep them.
"To the north is a narrow ravine. It is a tricky climb down. You're looking for a small wooden carving. I'm afraid a great deal of harpies have claimed those cliffs for their nests."
"To the east is the thickest forest. Vines and brambles that grow thick. It is said a Leshy or two inhabits the area. There is a heavy tome in these thickets amongst the bones of long dead dwarves."
"To the west is open ground. Vampires are wretched creatures, but these are thralls. Mindless creatures that the disease did not fully take. They know only hunger. One of them carries a flask around the neck. You may see a spirit floating within. I suggest you do not open it until I have ascertained it's purpose."
"To the south you will find bizarre shapes formed of twisted branches. They almost resemble men. I have not been able to scry any dangers but...well...something made those figures and they change every night. Seek out an old wooden doll in a hollowed out tree*
"And as usual, the grand prize*. To my choice will go my spirit lamp. All magic has a cost. If you whisper a secret you have never told another its light will show you the recently deceased so perhaps you can hear their secrets in return."
- Don't wait for DM posts. I won't be doing that. The introduction has outlined the challenges ahead and writers are expected to play them out. If anything I might throw a few new twists in along the way
- This is a quick write format. In your pairs you can posts back and forth as quickly as you want to try and reach loot
- To obtain items you can rush to them, wait to mug those who took them on the way out, or come up with new ways to find them. All I ask is that you give the challenges ahead of you some respect in your writing
- Teams of 1-3.
- Head you post with which island.
- Use PMs or discord to discuss the thread as much as you wish
- This one has a distinct horror theme. I'd appreciate people not breaking it by bringing dragons or gods.
- *open to interpretation as to the danger
- *this time I'm going to go with best horror vibes.