Dreadlords Young Relic | Vel Anir

Threads open to all members of the Dreadlords group
Lysander didn’t need to add anything else to Siena’s explanation. After all, she was thorough. The dreadlord looked back at Drederick, trying to gauge his reaction and then looked back at Siena.

They no longer torture students at the academy.” He added, which was something he was quite pleased about although his face seemed too apathetic to show that sort of contentment. Personally, when Lysander was a student, outside politics meant nothing to him. The only thing he worried about was survival, and not just his but also his younger brother’s survival. Whatever was going on outside the walls of the academy that weren’t war or a mission, Lysander ignored.

He wondered if Drederick was the same way, if maybe his thoughts still drifted back to the academy, the place they had both grown up in. Lysander could never shake the memories, the academy was more a part of of Lysander than anything else could be, even his principles and morality.

Drederick Siena Ventress

Last edited:
The more Siena described, the more his interest grew. It occurred to him as she spoke, that the people were obviously only so comfortable with the changes. A general of the Guard wasn't all that far away from who led before. It was of course a step, but a cautious one in his opinion. It stood to reason then, that among many, if not most in Vel Anir, the status of Dreadlord still carried significant weight. He imagined too that his never formally graduating might be cause for interest, but he was quite confident he could answer any challenge presented to him quite thoroughly.

He had learned much in his time away.

He seemed to regard the changes with a relative acceptance, and indeed he saw ways in which it could benefit him. He was after all bound to no house, and truly only had interests for himself. These may be quite fortuitous changes.

And then Lysander mentioned the academy's atrocities, and he grew tense, though subtly so.

But oddly, his thoughts went not to the horrifying memories - he'd been hated by more than a few at the academy - but he thought of his parents.

Strange, he nearly said aloud. He hadn't thought of them since those men dragged him away to the academy. He left death behind him that night.

"This may take some getting used to," he said, recalling his earlier interactions with the Guards, "so, what must I do?"

Last edited:
This was where things might get complicated, depending on Drederick's disposition. "Dreadlords have a choice."

Siena explained. This was a subject she was more familiar with. She had been heavily involved in the transition of the Dreadlords, and had lead several missions to capture arrest those who did not cooperate or actively sought the destruction of the Republic itself.

"The first is joining the Guard." What most had done at the end of the day. "You'll be integrated into the command structure and be working for the New Republic. Things are different…for many of you, more stringent rules than there were under the Houses."

Dreadlords had been raised as weapons of war, taught that no matter the price the mission came first.

Such thinking was never the Guard's. The most important thing for them was preserving life, ensuring the continued survival of Vel Anir and as many of it's people as possible. "The second option is to join the reserves. You'll be a free citizen of Vel Anir, but during times of war can be called upon to fight with the Guard."

An option that surprisingly few Dreadlords had chosen. Perhaps because of the need for a more…active purpose had been driven into them.

"It comes with a small stipend of course, fair compensation." It really was fair, not enough to make every reservist Dreadlord wealthy, but certainly they would not lack for comfort. "The last choice is exile."

Siena said simply. "There is of course paperwork to be done but you must decide first. You have thirty days to choose."

A year ago each Dreadlord had been given a month to decide, and the Republic now kept to that same bargain. Those who returned from missions or abroad were given a month to think of their place in the new Republic.

Lysander looked at Drederick, a brief flicker of mild surprise passing through on his face. He had expected some sort of obvious outrage, but then again, he couldn’t quite say that he ever really saw Drederick show the sort of rage he had often seen within his younger brother or other initiates. Lysander didn’t have the luxury of feeling rage, his emotions were irrevocably tied with his magic. Perhaps Drederick was the same in that regard?

He couldn’t shake off the suspicion. He also couldn’t shake off the hope that perhaps he had found another kindred spirit when it came to the new roles that dreadlords had among Vel Anir. For now, he didn’t speak. Siena had explained everything needed and what could he say that could possibly sway Drederick onto their side? It’s not like they had been exceptionally close to one another back at the academy. And even if they had been close, the only bond Lysander had held onto was the one for his brother and only him. Any other relation that seemed a positive one was strictly based on mild agreeableness. Nothing more.

Drederick looked between the two of them and then his eyes briefly fell, and he thought.

To him, it seemed the best option for him was the second. Exile would not do, not if he was intent on having his way. Vel Anir was the most mighty weapon in the known world, and he was fully committed to wielding it. Regular service seemed far too mundane, and following such stringent orders was never part of his training. He had little desire to rise the ranks of the military. He simply did not have the patience.

"If I were to remain, should I choose to run for office will I be barred?"

Siena briefly glanced at Lysander.

The suspicion that had settled in him was the same that she felt now, but...there was nothing she could really do about it. Being part of the Republic meant following it's laws, and Siena had sworn to uphold those laws. She wouldn't stop now.

Despite how much she might hate it. "No."

She answered.

"There are currently three Dreadlords sitting in the parliament...though i suppose referring to them as such is..." Siena shook her head. "No longer accurate."

They were part of the reserve still, but had been duly elected. Two of them from border cities where they had served for decades, and one from Vel Anir itself. "You would only need to gather the support."

Lysander was unsure. Unsure if Drederick was actually being serious. Unsure why he would be serious to join the council when he had only been inside the walls of Vel Anir for an hour after a five year long absence. Unsure what Siena’s answer would be. Unsure now how to proceed.

Being part of the guard isn’t bad,” Lysander said. “I enjoy it.” He did really even if his deadpan face and monotone voice with no infliction seemed to suggest otherwise. “You’re still sent on missions, sometimes you even accompany the initiates on their academy-regulated missions and help oversee their progress.” Lysander hadn’t been chosen for something like that yet. He wondered if it was because Kalix and Perci were still students at the academy? Or if maybe there was no need for someone like him to watch over them.

Maybe the missions at the academy were far less brutal now.

You can stay with me, Drederick. During your waiting period.” Lysander offered. Although he looked at Siena. Was that allowed? Or would Drederick need to be with someone who could supervise at all hours of the day? Would he need to be supervised? A slight frown appeared. He probably had spoken out of turn.

Drederick Siena Ventress

Last edited:
Drederick had been hopeful that no other Dreadlords had decided to take up the parliamentary path, but he would unfortunately be disappointed. Nevertheless, he suspected very few if any of the others were aware of what arts he had become familiar with - and he doubted very much any others had even dabbled in them, much less become adept. With his powers, he hoped he could manipulate the minds of these passive masses and rise quickly in popularity.

But he would need to take his time as not to arouse suspicion, and he would also need to... play nice.

Lysander advocated the life of a Guardsman, but Drederick shook his head. He knew Lysander was likely privy to Drederick's... leanings. Though he'd never outright displayed or told anyone of his fascination and study of Dark Magic, Lysander had always seemed a preceptive one. Drederick chose his next words a little more carefully, deciding to commit to his charade.

"No, and I think you might agree that I would not be the easiest to... order in the event of a pre-emptive battle. To be called to war would be one thing, but a sudden threat might create a situation for a little more... volatility," and without a doubt, volatility was a common attribute for a Dreadlord of the old way. He'd taken on far more control of himself compared to the young apprentice who had dwelt in this city years ago, but they needn't know how far he'd come, "and given what I've seen beyond these walls, my experience might be useful when making decisions regarding those places.

You'd be surprised who you can make friends with,"
he smiled, "when you're diplomatic."

"As for your offer. Yes, please, I would appreciate a place to stay."

Siena frowned slightly as Drederick spoke.

Though his words made sense, there was something about all of this that made her hesitate. Lips thinned, and she couldn't help the prickle of goosebumps that ran up her spine. For a moment she wanted to say something, but it quickly passed. "Yes. Good."

The Guardswoman said with a smile.

"I suppose that will be it then." She still felt uneasy, but what was she supposed to do. What could she do? "Lysander will see you to your quarters, and I..."

She trailed off. "I will be available if you need it."

Though she very much doubted that he would reach out.

Something about all of this still screamed in her head, but she was a servant of the Republic. She was here to make sure everyone got their fair shake. What more could she do?

“You would’ve been ordered to a do a House’s bidding,” Lysander reminded, but didn’t say anything more. Instead, he looked at Siena. He noticed her frown. He then looked at Drederick. They had two different ideals, and right now, Lysander knew it was better to not provoke Drederick. Yes, he had powerful magic, and at the academy, the more powerful you were, the more horrors you tended to face. Which was why Lysander had that small, growing bloom of hope that Drederick would see and understand how the way Vel Anir did things in the past wasn’t the best way.

He wanted to change Drederick’s life views, really he did. And perhaps now would be a good time to change the subject from less heavy things.

Drederick, you must be hungry.” He glanced at Siena. Hopefully this would be alright. She was more than free to tag along with them anyways. “Do you remember the couple, the one that made meat pies all day in and stack them up in their cart? The one where if you brought your own meat and game they would use that for the pie filling or you could pay a coin extra and they’d wrap it dough and cook it that way? And after missions they’d always give us initiates a free meat pie. They’ve been doing quite well,” Lysander didn’t add in the fact that most of their competition had been wiped away during the revolution. They had been saving, keeping their cart, and then they profited greatly by purchasing real estate after the damages had been done. They fixed up that little store themselves and now had a rather busy business.

They have a nice shop going for them. For old time’s sake.” Lysander felt his throat getting a bit dry. It wasn’t often that he talked that much, all at once. But he hoped it at least came off friendly, even with his dull tone and unvaried look.

She trailed off. "I will be available if you need it."

"Thank you," he said, inclining his head, "I'm sure we will speak again soon."

Then, trying to do so in a way that didn't scream that he might stab her in the back the second she turned away, he smiled.

Drederick, you must be hungry.”

His expression was no doubt mildly perplexed for a moment, but then a sudden and seemingly genuine smile crept across his lips in pleasant recollection. Yes, he remembered that place. He remembered those people. He remembered thinking that of all the people in Vel Anir, they would be the ones he would kill last - if it ever came to such a thing.
"For old time's sake," he echoed, doing his best to hide the irony he felt in that.

Old times sake? I thought we were putting those behind us.

Then he gestured with his hand, saying, "Yes I am quite hungry. If you would... I'm afraid it's been some time."

He knew right well which way to go.

Lysander looked at Siena and gave her a quick yet low hanging nod. He would keep an eye on Drederick. He wasn’t sure how it was going to work out completely, especially since he needed to still report back to his captain. But a little detour for the safety of Vel Anir could be acceptable this time, right? It wasn’t every day a suspicious dreadlord reappeared within the city. Lysander looked at Drederick and briefly showed mild surprise. Well, it seems Drederick still knew the city just as much as if he hadn’t left and been missing for years.

Lysander walked side by side Drederick, not minding the silence between them. Of course if there was anything that needed to be explained Lysander would have been more than helpful, although he probably would explain things less eloquently and throroughly than Siena had.

At one turn in the street the scent of food wafted through the air. So many delicious scents reached Lysander’s nose although his expression hardly changed. His stomach did growl ever so slightly, which really didn’t bother the young man. It’s not like it was so bothersome, it was just a natural body response at this point when it came to the smell of warm food.

Passing a few stores, they finally arrived, and the scent of meat pies and fresh bread overwhelmed everything. Nostalgia filled Lysander for a moment and he wondered about his younger half brother. A part of him liked to frequent places like these, where sometimes you could catch an initiate sneaking out and about. He never saw Kalix around those places and he always wondered if it was because Kalix didn’t care much about sneaking out or if he was just too much of a dimwit to sneak out.

Here,” Lysander motioned, the door was already open so the scent of cooking food could waft outside. The second-level dreadlord then stepped inside.

Drederick Ventress Siena

Already inside the shop, her back to the loyal Dreadlord and the rogue, was Ventress.

Her eyes and ears extended far, and this was especially so in a city as dense and populated as Vel Anir. A city she was already very familiar with. Siena's departure was an opportunity. Still, the rogue Dreadlord retained the company of Lysander, who, like Siena, would tell of a Revolution over a rebellion. In a manner most aggravating, he had as well offered Drederick his quarters in which to stay--further complicating Ventress's effort to speak with Drederick alone.

But there were methods available. Always, with a mind trained to perceive them, methods were available.

Ventress stood at the counter, "watching" as her meat pie was being prepared. She glanced over her shoulder at the sound of the door opening, at the sound of footsteps coming in. Saw Lysander and Drederick for the first time, as she had seen many persons of interest for the first time.

"We have the same tastes," she said, offering a polite smile.

Lysander Drederick Siena

"Here," he said, and then entered. So Drederick followed. And, for some strange reason he was hardly surprised to see the familiar and nameless face of Ventress within, awaiting her meal. Upon entering and seeing here, he became still for a moment and studied her. He wasn't quite gauging her, but there was curiosity festering in him She continued to appear to him, and until now had remained silent.

"We have the same tastes," she said, offering a polite smile.

He offered a similarly false smile, saying, "so it would seem," but he very much doubted that they shared all of the same tastes. There were some things that were certainly... acquired.

He wasted little time in blatantly asserting himself, much like he would in his younger days approaching their cart. There was something a bit more cordial about him now in his method, perhaps even a little endearing to the right sort. He maintained a level of manner that at least appeared decent, despite quite clearly not fully grasping how his place as a Dreadlord had changed in the eyes of the people - at least on the surface.

He seemed to get away with it. Or... the influence of his dark magic was already working to permeate into the minds of these... peasants.

"You are a Dreadlord no? So you have chosen to serve in the Guard?"

• Yay
Reactions: Ventress
Lysander’s lips briefly twitched downward before going back into a straight line as he regarded Ventress. He really needed to get her name. He glanced at Drederick, seeing him already ordering and… well, he sounded a bit… Lysander’s dark brows furrowed together for a moment. Obnoxious wasn’t the word, neither was rude or crass. He was sure there was a word to describe someone acting like they were talking to a monkey instead of a human, it was just on the tip of his tongue…

My usual order, please.” Lysander said to the wife of the establishment, who understood after six years of shallowly knowing Lysander that his monotone disposition meant very little with his actual thoughts. Truthfully, Lysander enjoyed this place immensely, even if his expression or voice did little to supplement this fact. He paid, thanking the wife and then looked over, seeing Drederick talking to Ventress.

He was prepared to step over and sit down at the table they were out but there was a shout, a cry of dismay. And then the expected yell “call the guard! Call the guard!” Well, it seems like Lysander was needed.

Drederick, stay here, I’ll be back shortly.” Whatever was going on Lysander was sure that he would be able to handle it swiftly. At least that was the plan. Without another word, the young man pivoted on his heel and dashed out the door, running straight for the voices he had heard earlier, a hand on his sword.

Drederick Ventress Siena

What precise timing. An altercation of some description called Lysander's presence elsewhere. The public shop remained an inadequate location to engage in the unfiltered discussion she truly wished to have, but Ventress, ever the beneficiary of Sirl's cultivated opportunism within her, could perhaps set up the aforementioned discussion.

Eyes briefly returned to the couple as they were preparing both pies, she glanced over to Drederick when he asked his question.

"Yes, I am a Dreadlord, and I have chosen the military over the other presented options upon my return to Vel Anir."

He extended out a gloved hand. Introduced herself. "Ventress."

She did not add that she was formerly of House Sirl. Mostly for personal reasons. Saying it aloud, that word, "formerly," had a tendency to destabilize her. Intruding emotion crept in as it had in the cemetery, which itself--in a harsh feedback loop--destabilized her further when she became aware of it.

Vulnerability could not be permitted.

And she would ask, "Do you have a moment to speak, Drederick."

Drederick Lysander Siena

He eyed her outstretched hand cautiously for a moment. He'd noted her interesting capabilities so far, and imagined them the tip of the iceberg. Still, it would do little good to come off too cautious, and besides... he noticed her hand was covered. Perhaps there was something to that? He could not know, not yet, but he'd come to understand everything he needed to about the place he once called home, once again, in due time.

He took her hand, and grasped it respectfully. There was strength in his hand, but clearly none that sought to overbear.

Tactful.

"A pleasure, Ventress. And, as it would seem," he cast a casual glance back, an obvious acknowledgment of Lysander's absence which he decided directly correlated with the timing of her question, "I do have a moment."

"Excellent," Ventress said.

Her hand swept back into the small of her back once the handshake was done. She turned and looked over the counter as she talked.

"I am certain that Siena and Lysander gave you a brief overview of the Revolution." The word tasted foul upon her tongue, but she needed to be mindful of the couple behind the counter preparing their food. Undesirable ears threatened to hear words spoken from the careless tongue. "But I do not think they gave a detailed recounting."

She met his eyes upon that word—detailed. Ostensibly to those undesirable ears, an innocent word. Nothing which betrayed her true intentions. But looming out from her golden gaze were those true intentions, the hidden meaning behind that word.

Detailed. What Siena and Lysander had purposefully obfuscated or left out.

"We should discuss this at length. For your elucidation."

Elsewhere. Privately. At a better time.

Drederick Siena Lysander

Ventress was one of a particular formality, that he could clearly see. She was also one who was quite careful, that he could also clearly see. First he'd noticed how she watched her meal's preparation, and now he watched as she carefully surveyed for unwanted ears. He rather liked how careful she was - someone like that could be quite useful.

"But I do not think they gave a detailed recounting."​

Oh?

Curiosity lifted his brow at her words, and he gave a subtle nod of understanding. He cast a casual glance toward the door, turning some as he did. He was glad to see Lysander had not yet come rushing back. He turned back to the counter then, his ordered being called as finished and he took it with an uncharacteristically genuine looking smile, then turned to Ventress again.

"Agreed, if you would be so gracious as to do so. My companion is to escort me to a... place to stay, afterward I will come and find you in the nearby square..." he started to move off, but then thought better of how he presented himself and queried by saying, "...assuming that suits you well enough?"

He was intrigued. Good. The poison dipped into the well of his thoughts could yet be filtered out. Siena and Lysander had no doubt described the Republic in amiable terms, omitting the barbarous treason which was necessary for its founding and the imposed servitude needed for its continuation. Drederick, having never sworn to a House, knew not the loyalty that Ventress did.

But she could help him to make a better, more informed choice about his future.

"The arrangement is acknowledged," Ventress said. She picked up her own finished meat pie from the counter, gave a small nod to Drederick, and turned on her heel and marched to the door and out.

Now she needed only to wait.

And this wayward Dreadlord could be enlightened.

Drederick Lysander Ventress

Right as Ventress had stepped out, Lysander was only a meter away from door of the establishment himself. He regarded her cooly, much like how he did with everyone such was the air of indifference about him.

Have a good day.” Lysander said to her, and then stepped inside, looking much like he hadn’t said anything to her at all in the first place. He saw Drederick holding their meals. He moved over to him and then nodded his head appreciatively before looking back at the woman of the establishment. “Please tell Mr. McDonald he did a great job as usual.” He said before glancing back at Drederick.

Would you like to eat somewhere more scenic?” He offered.

Drederick Siena Ventress

Drederick was pleased with the timing, not being left to wait while Lysander dealt with some menial task - it seemed he was efficient enough at doing so quickly enough. Drederick handed him his meal and then looked back to the woman behind the counter. He didn't nod, he didn't do anything except look on while Lysander interacted, and then turned to leave with him.

“Would you like to eat somewhere more scenic?” He offered.​

"Yes," he replied, "I have no wish to remain here..."

Don't be a dick.

"... where would you recommend?"

Drederick had a few ideas himself, perhaps some monument to the Revolution detailing a few instances or something. Since Ventress' assertions, Drederick had developed a particular interest in understanding what exactly had taken place in this city. There was likely a long list of people who needed to be... removed.

Lysander took the warm meat pie in his hand and for the briefest of moments his lips quirked up in a slight half smile. He nodded his head at Drederick’s words and despite Lys tending to be a more hypercritical individual, he saw no fault in what Drederick was saying. After all, it made more sense for them to go somewhere less crowded. At least in Lysander’s opinion. While Siena had spoken to Drederick about the current state of affairs and Ventress had probably said nothing much of any sort of importance since Lysander wasn’t gone long.

Come,” Lys said and then lead Drederick out. As they walked to their destination which only Lysander knew of— and really, he felt like this would be such a great destination for Drederick to witness. It was one that spoke greatly of how vel Anir was new and different, it was most definitely a place of hope for all Anirians that oppressors could be tames and the equality could be claimed for all. He was sure Drederick would also enjoy it.

My brother should be graduating this year from the academy,” Lysander said. He wasn’t sure if Drederick remembered the fact that Lysander had a sibling at the academy— family wasn’t a term really used in the academy, at least not in a positive way. “He would’ve graduated last year most likely if the revolution hadn’t taken place.

Lysander led Drederick down a new cobblestone path, and they entered a small square that was filled with fresh-blooms of various flowers and shrubbery, shady trees growing tall, and there were various stone benches and tables scattered around— although if one saw a aerial view of this park they would have noticed that everything was actually quite symmetrical to other items and placed with precision.

The most unusual thing was that children were running about, chasing one another and screaming and shouting while their mothers or older siblings watched from affair. Lysander sat down at a stone bench further away from the commotion but could still view the activities of the children— and even a few dogs— while birds flew overhead and squirrels scampered around in the branches above them.

I like parks.” Was the only explanation Lysander would give to Drederick.

Drederick

• Sip
"I was not aware you had a brother," Drederick replied, his attention seemingly half there. This was a part truth, as he was only momentarily distracted by some of the surround as they went to wherever it was Lysander was taking them. He noted as much as he could, most notable being the general populace. There was something far different about the way they carried themselves, and there seemed to be a serious lack of military presence in the streets.

Such were the fruits of this Revolution they all seemed so proud of - well, save for Ventress.

Coming down the path into the square, they found themselves at a lovely garden patio with quite an interesting view. Children. Children playing. They frolicked and laughed as carelessly as they could, and Drederick looked on with a quiet and uncertain expression. It wasn't so much that it perturbed him in any particular way, only that he could not fathom in the least what it was like to be one of those children. He heard Lysander speak but he didn't reply for a few more moments, instead he simply watched, meat-pie in hand.

Finally, awkwardly, he took a seat, "yes, well, it is... nice."

He did cast a few more looks around before he bit into his meat-pie, which he had to admit, was delicious. But he couldn't help but think as he ate about the things he observed, how the city streets seemed to lack the sharpness of that edge there once was. There was no element of strength or fear, no blatant reminders of power.

Oh how far have ye fallen, O' Vel Anir?

"You are a Dreadlord, Lysander, are you not?"

Lysander didn’t mind whether or not people people remembered that Kalix was his brother. In their defense, Kalix was far from being anything like Lysander. The only thing they shared were a few key facial features and obsidian black hair. But Kalix was quite a good deal taller than Lysander, had gold eyes instead of blue, and had a personality that was blatantly different.

Really their only true, connection was the fact that both had magic tied to force, gravity and density. Extremely and outwardly strong magic. It had always been in the back of Lysander’s head that together they would be an incredibly powerful force for Vel Anir.

It is nice,” Lysander agreed and began to eat, staring straight ahead. “We didn’t have the luxury of this. But I am proud they can afford this because of myself and others.” Another bite. He chewed carefully before swallowing and then nodded his head at Drederick’s question.

I am. I graduated as a second level.” Lysander paused, blue eyes flickering over to a rather large and fat squirrel that was edging towards them. It stopped when it felt Lysander’s steely gaze on it. He moved his eyes forward once more. “I’m still at second level. Many prefer to keep it that way.” A hint of bitterness was mixed into his usual tone of indifference.

You didn’t get to graduate, correct?

Drederick

• Cthulhoo rage