Journal Writings of the Red Sun

Private roleplay dedicated to character's personal journal entries.

Ashuanar

Vizier of the Red Sun
Character Biography
Link
proxy.php
The desert was full of fury this day.

For us Abtati, the heat of the sun is usually of little despair. But even to us, sand swept up in raging winds still felt like razors upon our skin, and no matter how tightly we guarded ourselves there was no stopping it all. Yet, we persevered all the same, finally finding ourselves a hollow, where we've found what appears to be an old mine in which to hide ourselves.

My Sipahi and I are one of several groups searching the area for one of the Empress Regent's artifacts. There is no certainty that it will be found here, but a good possibility. With everything that took place following that serpent Drakormir's arrival, I am more than happy to help Medja find whatever she needs to close that wretched Scar, and be done with that beast's legacy. It's hard to believe all that happened only weeks ago... it feels like forever since...

There is something out here though, I can feel it, and I can tell I am not the only one.

Not long after arriving in this dug out passage did the sandstorm outside come in full. We were fortunate to find this place. And with the storm showing no signs of relenting, I ordered the men settle in for the night. Curious, I also sent a couple of my best scouts ahead to surveil whatever lay further down into the mine.

Some hours passed and we heard no word back.

It wasn't until the storm had passed was I willing to send anyone else into the depths to find our missing men. Now, morning is finally upon us and from those others too have we heard no word.

I feel I have no choice. I must find out what happened to them, and rescue them if I can, so now I will travel into the mine.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Vardan
Whatever plans were originally had for this mine, it is clear to me they were abandoned only shortly after they began. It did not take me long to find my missing men, and the traps set there for them. I was fortunate - ever since taking the Band of Serqet, things have progressively changed for me. Senses have improved, I fatigue less frequently... but more, it's as though it knows the future... not that I see premonitions, but I very clearly feel that there is danger when such is close.

It is what saved me from the traps that claimed my men. Traps that seem to be in place to protect some burial ground or the like... I do not have the resources to bypass the traps set here, but I will send an expedition after we return to Ragash.

After giving our fallen comrades a proper end by pyre, we set out in the clarity of the new day.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Vardan
I find myself wondering where my thoughts linger.

I turn one way, and I see my emerald jewel. She was blinding at first, I remember quite well. I could see clearly her beauty, but back then, I did not see her worth. Perhaps it was the ridiculousness of the order I gave that day, the day we sacked Salitra, but I saw then how ridiculous I too had been to dismiss what was right there before me. When the night is full and the sand has grown cool, often I look to see the hues of Lessat, and I am reminded of my desert jewel. And too when I yearn for the moon's beauty, I am reminded of the warmth I've felt. I am reminded of the worth of the jewel I held in my hands.

Then I am reminded as I turn another way, and it is there I see the shadow. She came to me in my darkest of places, where I was hung by chains, bloodied and beaten and clinging by only strands of my sanity. My own sister had done this, and in those moments I was broken. And I remember quite well again, yes, her darkness creeping in like a living shadow, blacker than even the blackest corners of that dark prison. It was she who had found me, and it was she who imparted this darkness unto me and renewed my strength enough to survive. She came to me as the bearer of my revenge, and for it she has my friendship. Though even with her borrowed strength returned, I am left with this scar...

And it reminds me, that while I may have held my emerald for a time, now she rests comfortably in
her palm.

I suppose that's where my thoughts linger.

After weeks out in the midst of the dunes, finally we have returned.

Finally.

It is interesting to think: here I sit atop soft plush with rugs and candles and pens. If I wish it a buffet is brought into my chamber, which on its own is larger than most homes. I sleep on the most luxurious mattress I've ever dreamt of, and it is far more vast than I would ever need. I have a balcony, from where my view of the city is at times breathtaking. Almost whatever it is that I wish, it is brought to me. I need not even seek it. I need only ask.

Twenty years ago I knew not but dirt floors, table-scraps and dark corners.

I knew even then that I was destined for more. But... I never imagined all of this.

There is an entire host of men and women and beasts at my call, and if I willed it they would march to whatever end in faith that it was for a holy cause. And truly, could I ever send them in vain? I no longer know how holy I can say our cause is, but if nothing else, I will say it is this.

It is for the Empire.

These nights seem longer of late. Colder and quieter.

From my balcony I can hear the same sounds of Ragash as I always do, and yet the vibrance seems dimmer. When I look from there down into the streets I see the reds, the blues, the greens and the yellows of firelight both natural and otherwise. This city's nights are ever more beautiful than her days. And yet they too seem lessened to my eye.

Meat tastes bland.

Drink brings no reprieve.

Fire brings little warmth.

My heart seeks nothing, I strive for no jewel - save one. Upon this they do not fall, fleeting as she is...

Things are not like they once were.

Rising from his seat, he left from his place and walked out onto the balcony. He came to the railing and looked down, and his eyes followed through the bustle in the streets. They rose up upon the rooftops and then on into the shadows of dunes in the distance. He placed a hand on the railing, and sighed and quiet sigh.

And then as gently as to be almost wordless, he mouthed that which he proclaimed so whole-heartedly to others, "it is for the Empire."

All of it. For the Empire.

That, at least, was quite certain.

Last edited: