Private Tales Words Not Made to be Believed but Obeyed

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
As they sat in the tiny room waiting Liliana desperately attempted to reach for the weaves. Her entire focus was on the task, ignoring the guard watching them entirely and devoting herself completely to touching her magic. Her fingers stretched over her thighs, lips drawing to a thin line as she struggled.

They're so far away. She lamented to herself in thought. Why are they so far away?!

Just as the thought lashed through her mind the door opened. A man stepped inside, far more composed and well groomed than any of the Guards they had seen so far. Just from the way he walked, the eloquence of his tone Liliana could tell he was noble, at least an officer. Her gaze narrows almost instantly, and she inspected him as one might an enemy crossing the battlefield.

As soon as he turned towards them her face became a mask.

She steeled herself, as she had been taught to do. Forcing the roulette of emotions within her chest to stop. Staring at the man with hard eyes as he launched into his interrogation. The mask over her face breaking for only a split second as Amell began to explain the faults in the letter they had borne with them. Teeth sank into her tongue as she stopped herself from interrupting the man. Focusing instead on the slow breaths that filled her lungs and reasoning through the logic of what he was saying.

For just a brief moment her eyes flickered to Everleigh. Confusion drew through her thoughts. Questions about the mission, why they'd been sent here with an apparently false letter. Was it a trap? It had to be. Did someone want them here? Then if so why?

Nerves began to fray. Too many questions rising in her mind until suddenly she realized that not a one of them mattered. Not right now.

A frown touched her lips as she noticed something. This man knew Felix Urahils handwriting? Was he of the House itself? Had to be close at least. She studied his face for a moment, no name came to mind, but his features screamed of the Great House. For a moment she chewed over that fact.

The plan she and Evie had come up with had gone the moment they'd been brought into this room. There was no 'going along' now. If they 'admitted' they were elves it would only dig them a deeper hole, and any other answer…she just couldn't see it. So she made a decision, a choice for them both.

"The explanation is simple, and perhaps, unlike your men, you will actually have the intelligence to parse through the information we've already told your men." Liliana's voice was cold steel. Spoken as her efforts continued, her hand continuing to stretch in her lap as she reached for the weaves. "We are Dreadlord Initiates. We were given the letter by one of our Proctors. What it says or who wrote it we do not know. Whatever is written on it, we don't care. We were supposed to deliver it, and deliver it we did when your oafs assaulted us."

As her words flowed, Liliana continued to reach, and yet as she did the noble drew no closer. Frustration flickered in her chest, followed by anger, and then she realized something. "And you see."

A smile slowly drew over Liliana's lips. Her fingers stopped stretching, and instead she reached slowly within the turnolt of her own mind.

"That was a very big mistake." For the first time since being put in chains, Liliana felt her confidence truly return. Her words flowed as she dug through the massive wall of anger that she has built. The rage which had concealed and hidden that most powerful of emotions she had never wanted to admit she had too. "I am not just an Initiate. I am Liliana Lorel. Of House Lorel."

Fear.

There it was. So very glorious. So very awful.

A feeling that she had hidden, but just the one she needed.

"There are any number of ways you can verify that. A messenger to my family, to the Academy, hell, you could go to the Archive Anir and find my portrait painted on the Virak family tree." Her eyes locked with Amell's. "But you won't do that, because you know that if my family finds out you have me here, if my family finds out how you've treated me, everyone in this camp will be dead in a week. Elf, human. Guard or slave. Dead. No matter their last name."

As she spoke Liliana grasped the strand of fear, and in an effort she had never made before cast it out. In a great rolling wave an emotion of terror cast out from where Liliana sat. The type of fear that the wailing of your own soul would put in you. "Now, you're thinking; 'best to kill them, make it look like our pet savages slaughtered and buried them', but there's a problem with that too."

Slowly she leaned forward.

"We're a month away from Graduation. We're two of the most powerful Initiates in our class. We're here on a simple, very basic errand." They themselves had called it no more. "So when Elise Virak is told her favorite Cousin has been killed on an errand, do you really think an answer like that will satisfy her? Do you really think she wouldn't look more? Do you really think she'd just take your word?"

There was no question in her mind now that they had been sent here under false pretenses, but it didn't matter. There would be some sort of trail, there always was, and if this man knew Felix then it was very likely he at least knew Elise's reputation. That was enough, she hoped. "But, there's a way out of this still."

She said, still holding onto that string of fear. Still projecting utter terror.

"I don't care about this camp, I don't care about your little knife-ears, I don't even care about you." Everleigh would know the lie on Liliana's tongue. The men who had imprisoned them would die, there was no avoiding that. "Release us, and all of this can be forgotten."

Liliana finished, pressing that vein of fear. Because she was someone to be feared.

• Cthuulove
Reactions: Everleigh Ebersol
As the young Lorel spoke, Amell leaned back in the chair. His expression remained unbothered, and out of habit, he kept a easy-going smile on his face. The only time his expression changed was when he heard the Lorel name used. For a moment, his eyes roved her, from the top of her head down to what he could see with the desk hiding half of her from his sight.

He didn’t speak until he was certain that Liliana had finished speaking.

Liliana Lorel,” Amell said, that smile growing wider for a moment before seemingly turning into a frown. It was hard to tell if he was frowning or if it were just the natural shape of his mouth. “My condolences about your brother. Can’t have another Lorel dying, can we?” The simple shrug and nonchalant attitude showed exactly how he considered Liliana’s threats.

With sympathies and pities out of the way, I think both you and I can agree we should cut to what’s important. No threats, or… whatever that was.” He waved his hand as if waving off Liliana’s words. “Unfortunately, for the two of you, verification of your identities is important and detrimental to your release. You did kill Guardsmen, and I understand there was a lot of commotion going on yesterday, but I have multiple reports saying that the Guard did order the both of you to stop. Multiple reports say that both of you continued attacking, which aided the elves under supervision here.

Amell let the words hang in the air. He wouldn’t reveal a card he had when it was not yet asked of him to do so.

Now, an investigation will be taking place. Not just on your identities but to make sure the two of you aren’t tampering with Urahil affairs. Even if you didn’t know what was written in the letter, which I do not doubt if you’re initiates, what the two of you were carrying was rather alarming.” Amell stood up from his seat, turned his back to the two girls, and began rifling through one of the file cabinets. He pulled out two sets of forms and returned to the girls.

If you two can fill out these incident reports, we can start handling both of our affairs quickly. And remember, the more information provided, the faster we can move this along. I’m sure the two of you want to make it back in time for your graduation.

Liliana

• Cthulhoo rage
Reactions: Liliana
It didn't work.

Why didn't it work?!

Panic flickered through Liliana's chest, her heart instantly skipping a beat as she watched Amell luxuriously trail over towards a file cabinet, ignoring the threat of her words as though she had just told him that they'd simply been going out for ice cream.

Her mouth hung open as as he rifled through the papers, her eyes glancing down at her hands in a panic. Were the weaves broken? Was she broken? Did something happen to her magic when they struck her in the head? No. No she felt them. She felt it. There was something...

Amell turned back, and rage flickered over Liliana's face. Her jaw snapping shut as he gently placed two forms of paper in front of them. "NO!"

Liliana screeched, standing up and throwing back her chair. Her hands slammed against the table in a furor, scrunching over the documents. Her form visibly shaking as her fingers scrunched and she sent a furor of her weaves at Amell.

"LISTEN TO ME!" She demanded incredulously, her voice echoing in the tiny room. "Your men threatened US! Attacked US!"

Indignation carried through her voice as she sent an assault of terror directly at Amell. Pouring every ounce she could into the effort to overcome whatever...fucking infuriating thing was stopping her magics. "THEY PUT ME IN CHAINS!"

She shouted with the fury only a Virak could hold. "YOU WILL LET US OUT! NOW!"

The words came as her fingers scrunched into a fist.

Amell remained remarkably cool and calm, even as Liliana raised her voice. It was to be expected, he supposed. All nobility had learned at a early age that their words were often heard more than others, that their words were often agreed with because of the power they held. It had taken time training in the Guard to learn humility, and even now, Amell liked to think of himself as a humble man.

For a moment, his whole body seemed to grow lax, his shoulders sagging and his eyes closing. A few seconds passed and then Amell opened his eyes. His lips were pressed into a thin line.

His blue eyes looked down at Liliana’s fist, at the scrunched up forms. He stood up, towering over Liliana well enough with utter ease. His gaze went to Everleigh.

Who are you?” He asked simply. Everleigh seemed taken aback, not once had she actually been addressed, deciding it was far better to let Liliana handle things. She had the Lorel name, she had the authority.

My name?” Everleigh asked, glancing at Liliana before looking back at Amell.

Last name, if you have one.

Ebersol.” The moment the word left her mouth, Amell moved with speed that a man his size shouldn’t have. To Everleigh’s detriment, she try to escape his grasp, kicking herself off against the desk from where she sat, clearly trying to get room and so she could stand up. Amell was a whole foot taller than her, his reach impressive.

And his strength, though not a dreadlord, was impressive. He took hold of her calf, easily reaching over and pulling her back towards him, his other hand going to her throat to collar her in place. With Everleigh secured in his grasp, Amell used the hand on her calf to take hold of her shackles and then with graceful ease lifted her over the desk to then slam her onto the ground behind him.

Everleigh’s arms reached up and over to protect her face, but Amell cared little about sullying it. He kicked at her side, causing her to groan and roll over. Everleigh went to her hands and knees but she was kicked again, this time her back hit the cabinets behind her.

Amell stomped on her hand, and it took all of Everleigh’s will to not scream out. She should have, if she had cried out, perhaps Amell would have shown her mercy. Instead, he continued to kick and stomp at her, and wouldn’t stop until he saw blood.

Not a single blonde hair was out of place, his chest wasn’t even heaving. He turned towards Liliana.

Believe me, Lady Lorel,” Amell said, his lips curving up in a cruel smile that finally matched his eyes. “I will assure you, as long as you behave, these men will not abuse you in any manner. I would never harm Elise’s favorite cousin.” He kneeled down, ignoring the pain in his knees and lower back, hands grabbing the hair on Everleigh’s head and forcing her to rise up.

I would never hurt another noble. We have to stick together, don’t you agree? That being said,” he shook Everleigh’s head back and forth, “Ebersol isn’t a a great or minor house, is it? I know dreadlords are taught to be ruthless, so you don’t care about this one, but let it be a reminder of what would happen if you didn’t have your last name. Of course, if you don’t confirm your identity… well, I wonder how long you’ll last?

Liliana

• Stressed
Liliana stood in place in stunned silence as Evie was ripped from her seat and thrown over the table. She had frozen in place when her magic hadn't worked, when Amell hadn't even shown a flicker of effect of her Weavings.

It made no sense.

It should have worked.

And then.

Her eyes bulged in horror as Amell beat Evie as though she were some common peasant, as though she were nothing. As though she didn't belong to Liliana. A scale of emotion ripped through her. Anger, indignation, fear and even a trickle of guilt as she watched one of the few people she had even an ounce of love for take the punishment she should have received.

She stood in silence as Amell offered her lecture, as the words slipped from his lips and as his taunts reached her ears.

For a moment it seemed that she would do nothing, that she would simply sit and do as she was told. But such a thing was not in Liliana Lorel.

"DON'T YOU TOUCH HER!" With a banshee like scream Liliana suddenly launched herself forward. Like an uncoiled spring she leaped over the desk.

The bonds, unlocked by Evie, slipped finally from her wrists fully. One end grasped in her fingers as she whipped it forward towards Amell's face, her momentum following seconds later as she went to careening directly into him.

A captain would be true to his word. It was archaic, but it was one of the few things that had gotten Amell far in life. So he took the hit to the face, letting go of the purple initiate he had been toying with and let Liliana crash herself into him. He hadn’t expected her to get so upset by it, but a part of him was pleased in discovering this knowledge.

Dreadlords didn’t fear death. Amell had learned that long ago. Because they didn’t fear death, they didn’t care if they were put into harrowing situations, if their odds of survival were low. There was only one effective way that Amell knew how to tame dreadlords: make them treasure someone, make them valuable someone and have them want to put them first.

Didn’t matter who that someone was, but as long as he had a grip on their life, the dreadlord would listen. Dreadlords didn’t fear death, but they feared death for their loved ones.

Now, whether Liliana would keep making brash decisions over the purple girl was something to consider lately. Currently, Amell had wrestled with the blonde, seeking not to brutalize her as he had Everleigh, but to restrain her instead. He used his size, his reach, his weight— everything in his disposal to restrain the young Lorel.

The effort to do so was taxing, requiring all his effort physically and mentally. Amell had yet to realize that the cuffs Liliana had attacked him with had split his skin wide over his brow. He thought he was seeing red due to his anger, but one eye was squeezed tight as blood flowed down from his gash.

Dizzy and light-headed, it was only through sheer will and determination (and perhaps that surge of adrenaline) that Amell kept moving, kept shifting and grasping until he had Liliana on her knees, her arms secured tightly behind her within his strong grip.

Well. It seems you are related to Elise after all.” He huffed out, careful not to get too close to her in fear of Liliana headbutted him in the nose next.

Liliana

• Cthulhoo rage
Liliana was like a rabid dog put on a chain. Even as Amell held her firmly in place the girl still struggled against his grip. Furiously attempting to break free.

Had he come anywhere near her face, she would not have headbutted him, but instead sunk her teeth into his face and rip off whatever flesh she could. Never before had she felt such rage, not even when the Proctors had beaten her. Not even with her own father.

"I'm going to fucking kill you!" She hissed, desperately trying to break free.

An effort that was more than futile.

Amell both stronger, and the better hand to hand combatant.

"I'm going to skin you alive." She said, her wrists tugging and trying to break free. "And feed you to my dogs."

Liliana hissed, her voice shaking as she looked at Everleigh. A little of the fight leaving her as she saw the state of her companion, fingers twisting as the despair began to take hold. Why didn't it work?

She lamented in her thoughts, cursing the weaves as tears began to stream down her cheeks.

Abused and beaten, Everleigh hadn’t felt like this since before the revolution. But it wasn’t a pain unknown to her. She knew how to deal with it: not move, at least not more than she had to.

She had to force herself to stay still as Liliana and Amell wrestled for dominance. Unfortunately, Amell seemed to be the victor, but still Everleigh stayed still. Her violet gaze focused on Liliana’s bindings, the metal shackles that made magic worthless. They had done more damage than either of them could.

Although, Everleigh realized she— more than Liliana— should have gotten rid of her shackles. But her logic had been beat by emotions, thinking only of Liliana’s wellbeing, Everleigh failed to think of the usefulness of her magic.

It’s okay,” Everleigh whispered to Liliana. “It’s okay if it’s me.

• Cry
Well, you hear that?” Amell said, a grin reaching from ear to ear. He kept anything vulnerable from Liliana, still restraining her, but careful to not get to close. Whether that was because of his sense of self preservation or because of his tenting anticipation couldn’t be confirmed, and Amell wasn’t the sort to talk about his fetishes. Besides, while his loyalty ultimately lied to Felix, Amell wasn’t a fool. Like he was going to yet Elise Virak hear from her cousin that Amell got a hard on from restraining some initiate.

It seems the peasant knows the best course of action. Listen to her, Lady Lorel, and maybe you’ll get out of here faster.” Despite Liliana’s attempts to be free from his hold, Amell was steadfast in controlling how much the other blonde was able to move.

Liliana

• Stressed
A thousand thoughts whirled through Liliana's head as she still struggled against Amell's grip. That inner fire within her refusing to be quelled.

Until Evie looked up at her, the words passing from her lips a bare whisper. Quiet, but seeming to echo within Liliana's ears a dozen times. Her heart raced in her chest, tears slowly rolled down her cheeks, and she shook her head violently.

No.

No. No. No.

This wasn't how it was supposed to be. This wasn't how she was supposed to be treated.

She was Liliana Lorel, a breath away from the name Virak. Favorite cousin to one of the most powerful women in all of Vel Anir. Amell should have been the one on his knees. The Guards in this place should have been begging for their lives. It wasn't right, it wasn't fair.

A quiet sob echoed from her lips, a whimper as she dipped her head in silent acquiescence.

She stopped struggling but Amell didn’t dare release his hold on her. Not yet, not until those shackles were back on her wrists. How she got them off, he didn’t care. The issue was that they were off and they needed to be put back on. He almost expected for the purple one to slither out of her own shackles, and if there was a moment to do so, now would be it.

Unless they were waiting for something else, maybe something bigger? The thought shouldn’t have arisen but it did. He couldn’t shake the strange letter belonging to Felix, or the fact that the initiates had arrived right as the elves were making a escape.

A coincidence? Or something more? He’d think about it later.

I’ve never been good around crying ladies.” Amell said, standing up and bringing Liliana to stand as well. He struggled in doing this, feeling that sharp pain in his knee and he faltered slightly because of this. He tried to hide it, and to his detriment, Amell’s face didn’t betray him. “Let’s go back to your chair and fill out those forms.” He stepped over Everleigh as if she were nothing more than a puddle in the road, dragging Liliana along with him.

Now, we can handle this two ways. You sit down and I put those anti-magic cuffs back on. Or you fight me and I still put those anti-magic cuffs on you and take my frustration out on your little purple friend? Which one shall it be, Lady Lorel?

Liliana

• Stressed
Liliana didn't say anything, didn't do anything as Amell pulled her up from the floor and to her feet.

She barely heard him speak, barely saw the room move around her as she was lead back to the chair. An empty, hollow look sat in Liliana's eyes. As if she wasn't entirely in the moment. The rage that had filtered through her seconds ago was gone.

Why didn't it work. She thought to herself.

Why didn't it work. Repeated. Why didn't it work.

Again and again the thought came, plaguing her, drowning out everything else as she found herself once again seated at the table. Her eyes sat entirely focused upon her palms, staring at them with a quiet desperation.

Never answering Amell one way or the other.

Amell waited for an answer, letting seconds turn into a minute before he frowned. He sat her down in the chair, almost unsure if this was the best course of action, but it seemed that Liliana, for the moment, was docile. He waited for a moment, as if waiting for her to leap from her chair once more but after some time, he went to the shackles on the floor, purposely stepping on Everleigh’s hand that was reaching towards them.

He used his back to bend over and pick up the shackles, neither girl seeming to offer resistance. He went back to Liliana and had her confined and her magic blocked once more, taking extra care to make sure the shackles were secure.

Shouting could be heard outside and the sound a ringing bell. Amell sighed. Of course, now at all times.

Now, you two behave.” Amell said, standing up straight and making his way to the door. “Gonna lock you both in here. And if you try to escape,” he paused, looking over his shoulder so they could both understand it wasn’t a threat but a promise. “I’ll beat her until she’s black and blue… or in this case, purple. Can match with her hair.” And with that, Amell was out of the building, and both initiates could hear him locking the door behind him.

Everleigh was silent until Amell left, and the moment the door shut behind the Quillon, she groaned even if it hurt to do so.

We need to get you out of here.” She mumbled through a numb mouth. Her head was ringing, and opening her eyes seemed like too much effort. Breathing hurt and unfortunately it wasn’t something she could stop doing. “Get you out of the shackles, get you out of this camp. You can’t stay here.

Liliana

• Cry
Liliana was nearly catatonic.

Her eyes staring straight ahead, her head only turning as she heard the whimpering cough echo from Everleigh's throat. Slowly she looked down at her compatriot, her myrmidon, her...her friend.

Tears, slow, and steady welled within her eyes and rolled down her cheeks. "I’m sorry Evie. It should have worked."

She said, the desperation so clear in her voice.

Unable, or unwilling to understand Everleigh's words.

• Cry
Don’t apologize.” Everleigh’s tone was firm. It had to be. She couldn’t see Liliana from her spot on the floor, but she didn’t need to. She could hear it in the blonde’s voice, and she had never heard Liliana sound so pitiful and pathetic before. “Never apologize to me ever again.” The purple initiate insisted.

You couldn’t do anything to help. I knew that. I never wanted you to help.” That much was honest. At the Academy they hadn’t been ever taught to rely on one another. Even if the Republic was acting like now they wanted to encourage initiates to work together. It was hard to do so when for years they were reminded they would fight one another.

We need to get you out. You need to escape. You can use your magic later.” She tried to lift up her head but decided to give up on it. “Who is he? Another noble? He’s not afraid of your cousin.

Liliana

• Cthuulove
Tears gently continued to stream down her cheeks, slow shallow breaths filling her lungs as she struggled through the haze that clung to her mind. Fingers gently tightened into fists as she heard Everleigh talk, insist that she not apologize.

The words rang in her ear. A reminder that brought some stiffness back to her jellied spine.

If only a little. "He's an Urahil."

That was her guess anyway. It made sense, the hair, the eyes, and the intricate knowledge of Felix. Liliana had, like most nobles, and intricate knowledge of the other Great Houses, but she didn't know every single name and face. Amell hadn't introduced himself, but by his appearance, manner, and confidence she felt her guess was at least close.

"I think..." She paused for a moment, lips pressing into a thin line as she forced a deeper breath into her chest. Her head shaking. "None of this makes any sense."

Liliana said finally, her mind slowly coming out of it's daze as she tried to put the puzzle pieces together. "It's like...it's like we were set up."

• Nervous
Who would set you up?” Everleigh knew that despite her position as a dreadlord initiate, and maybe having some less than friendly interactions with other initiates, she wasn’t someone to go after. At least, not on the level that this seemed to be which involved the Great Houses. A Urahil? Here?

Everleigh had never really met other nobles other than the initiates in her class. Despite Liliana constantly doing as Elise asked, the poison eater herself had never even seen Elise. Everleigh didn’t even know what she looked like other than she was blonde and well-loved in certain parts of Vel Anir.

Not that long ago, I was with Zael and Gaage retrieving a family heirloom for House Urahil.” Everleigh said. The mission had gone as smoothly as one would expect. “Before that, I believe there was a mission involving a Urahil at a asylum. Niamh was sent. Kalix was upset he wasn’t chosen because it was led by his brother, Lysander.” Everleigh didn’t know how that mission ended, but considering that Niamh had returned to the Academy, she assumed it had gone well.

I don’t remember hearing the name Felix. Have you ever met him? Does he not get along with your cousin?” Everleigh asked after a moment. Her mind was reeling, but everything hurt. Why did she always end up getting the shit beat out of her when she was with Liliana? Why didn’t she mind it? She could worry about that later. They had precious seconds, maybe even a minute before Amell would return. “Leander and Odessa. Did you do something to upset them?” It was a long shot. But the question had to be asked.

Liliana

• Stressed
Liliana ran it all through her head, lips thinning for a brief moment as she tried to remember everything she could about Felix and House Urahil.

Still somewhat fuzzy from the blow to her head, Liliana still managed to recall most everything any noble would know. She tried to think of anything specific, pulling on loose scraps of paper she might have seen in her fathers office or conversations she overheard.

"I do-don't think so." She said with a shake of her head.

"Urahil was in the ruling Alliance." Liliana explained quickly. "We weren't allies...but there's nothing new, not even before the revolution."

Though House Virak had not been a part of the Ruling Alliance before the Revolution, their great enemy had always been Luana; not Urahil. Aside from the general enmity all Great Houses had for one another, Liliana could think of no other reason why Urahils would go after her like this. "But."

Liliana said, remembering something.

"I don't think this was Urahil." That just didn't make sense, not with what Amell had said. "More like...someone is trying to set us against one another. He seemed just as confused about the letter as we were."

Why else do this? Perhaps someone was trying to incite a war behind the Houses. "But who benefits from all this? Are they trying to expose Urahils? Get Virak and then into a war? What's the point?"

• Thoughtful
All they had from their questions were more questions and no answers. Everleigh didn’t want to play this guessing game. More importantly, she trusted Liliana’s opinion. This was no inner feud happening on the sidelines, someone was where they didn’t belong and trying to pull the strings.

Of course who it was, well, Everleigh couldn’t even begin to fathom the possibilities. As for the reasoning, well, that wouldn’t be much simpler, would it?

He won’t kill me.” She said suddenly. “If he thinks I’m your weakness, he’ll hurt me but he won’t kill me. He won’t risk hurting you and seeing the possible consequences.” That much was obvious, especially to an initiate. How many times did proctors hold back now after the Revolution because they feared the punishments instead of respecting the rules?

You’ll have to let him hurt me.” She wouldn’t beg for it to stop. She would endure it all if it were for Liliana’s sake. “You have to get out.” Everleigh paused. The blonde should’ve been back by now, what was taking so long? Had something happened outside? “You need to find out,” Everleigh said, “what it was that we were bringing here and what exactly that letter said.” But more importantly: “and find out why your magic didn’t work on him.

Liliana

• Thoughtful
Liliana agreed with everything that Everleigh said, but the question was how.

Even if she did let Amell beat Evie within an inch of her life, even if she pressed and forced the mans hand…what did it gain her? She couldn’t use her magic on him, apparently, and she had already tried threat alone.

How did they actually solve any of this?

For a few seconds Liliana simply sat in thought. She looked over at Everleigh, then slowly tipped her head in a nod. Lips thinned, and she glanced down at the chains on her wrists. A plan formed in her head, but she had no idea if it would work.

They had already tried fighting Amell once and failed, but as far as she could tell there was no other way out of this. They could try cooperating, asking to see the letter, but even then they were left with little agency.

A slow breath filled her lungs. ”Okay.”

She said softly.

”I need to get these chains off.” Again. ”And then I need to use my magic on one of the Guards, not him. I think I…I think I figured something out. It didn’t work on him, but it’ll work on one of them.”

Liliana glanced down at Everleigh. ”I’ll make sure you beats you, when he does, try to grab his key.”

It wouldn’t be pleasant, but at least it was a plan.

• Scared
You’re lucky I’m used to getting the shit beat out of me.” Everleigh said. Did she like the plan? Not really. But their options were slim, and as it was, Everleigh realized that she was useful now as a distraction and punching bag. Unable to use magic, and with a broken bone or two, Everleigh was worse off than she was before.

Before Everleigh could say anything else, the doorknob began turning.

Amell stepped back into the small officer office, his slicked back hair far less neat than it had been minutes ago. His large hands were focused more so on collecting these shorter strands that had fallen loose, as if he needed to keep his appearances proper for the prisoners of this Border Detention Camp.

Did you ladies have a nice chat?” He asked casually, as if he knew they had talked. Whether they did or didn’t wouldn’t matter to him as he went back to the desk, ignoring Liliana and coming over to Everleigh. “Didn’t even move a inch.” He commented, jabbing her side with his boot. Everleigh saw that blood stained it now. “Aren’t dreadlords supposed to be… hardier?” Amell asked with a shrug. “Or maybe you’ve both realized it’s better to do as I say?

Liliana

• Devil
Liliana tensed slightly as Amell stepped back into the room, her lips thinning as he watched her first go to Everleigh, and then turn his attention towards her. Fury flickered back through her chest, replacing the hopelessness that had been reigning there just a few seconds. The lines of his smug face bringing out an anger that she’d thought had slipped away.

Her fingers curled gently against the table, a slow breath filling her lungs.

Nobody would ever have called Liliana ‘demure’. She was not meek or mild. At the best of times she was a tempest out at sea, sweeping the seas and bringing tsunami like waves onto the shores. At her worst time she was a hurricane, cutting through everything before her and leaving naught but a wake of misery.

Yet in that moment, in the tiny little room, Liliana was small.

Her face bore none of the anger that she felt so strongly, he posture, though still regal, was not combative. She appeared as the dream of any horrid Obanese man; a demure little lady waiting to be told what to do.

She looked up at Amell, her voice quiet, respectful. ”We don’t want to be here.”

Liliana’s voice was a picture of communicative meekness.

”Please.” She begged, a word that almost never slipped passed her lips. ”May I see the letter, at least?”

The thing that had landed them in here in the first place.

• Smug
Reactions: Amell Quillon
While Liliana spoke, Amell continued to prod and poke Everleigh with his boot. She didn’t make a sound, much to his dissatisfaction. He let her plea hang in the air between them for a moment before he decided to look at her.

He considered her request and the fact that she was shackled, unable to use magic. It wasn’t like she could burn the letter and insist it had never existed, right? So without saying anything, Amell went to where he had stashed the letter, going to not the cabinet behind the desk they were at but at a different one.

Amell pulled the letter out, still in the parchment holder that the initiates would have found it in when they received it alongside the goods they were to carry here. The blonde man went to his desk, stepping over Everleigh and sitting down in his chair. He waved the letter up and over his head before handing it to Liliana.

Now, was it so hard to say please?” He asked, his limpid blue eyes colder than a frozen lake in the Eretejva Tundra. “Don’t try anything funny, Miss Lorel.” Amell warned as he pulled the letter out from the academy-issued carrier and then unfolded it to show its contents.

It read as followed:

Don’t let them look at me with those eyes, because I’m no longer anywhere.

It felt so good to disappear. I’m no longer anywhere.

My soul disappeared into the world of dreams. All of my toys happily melted together into nothingness.

Everything is gone except the world. I want to see it burn and disappear with me.

Look away from the place where they died because I’m ashamed for having felt so good.

It feels good, being shattered by the wind. It feels good being taken with flame.

Watch the bodies dissolve into red.

-Felix Urahil”

Not very noble-like, is it, Lorel?” Amell said. “All in code… detailing how to use the arcane bombs you brought into here.

Liliana

• Devil