Open Chronicles Untying the Knot: Riddles Beneath Alliria

A roleplay open for anyone to join
Caliane nodded to Garrick and put the fire stone back where she had got it from before watching as he then attempted to cross the room with the water stone. She had a feeling that it wasn't going to be as easy as that. Sure enough a few moments later the water stone disappeared and reappeared back where it had started. The magic in the air tingled her skin and coated her tongue in a layer of something sickly sweet. To remove the feeling she ruffled her feathers, causing them to fluff up for a brief moment like a birds when it preens, before they lay back down. It was the Avariel version of shuddering.

"Perhaps," Cali was still a little doubtful but she did pick up the fire stone again and made for the other side of the room.

• Yay
Reactions: Harrier
Cali relaxed when nothing happened to the stone and then placed it down on the other side of the hall where it was meant to go before turning back to the other side of the hall. She half wondered if she was allowed to cross back or whether something would happen if she did so. Instead, she stayed where she was just to make sure.

"I think water needs to come next," Cali folded her arms over her chest. Water and fire cancelled one another out, but the tree would be burnt by the fire over here on its own. Once the water was on this side of the room however, then the tree could move so the water would protect it from the fire.

"Agreed" Garrick replied to Cali, and then headed over the talismans. Garrick would then lift the water talisman and bring it over to other side, hopefully sans magical interference.

Harrier

Garrick Knight Caliane Ruinë

As soon as the water talisman reached the far end, both it and the fire talisman glowed brighter. But the steam-hissing sound began again, and the fire talisman began to grow dimmer. In half a minute or less, the whole thing would reset unless Something Was Done.

"By the Laws." Garrick swore on the Laws of Magic as the sound of steam began to fill the room. "I'll get the tree." Garrick yelled, and bolted over to the original pedestal, clasping the Tree talisman in his arm and running back to pedestal across. While several of Garrick's college chums thought exercising the body to be a foolish venture over their magical studies, Garrick paid his way by stealing art and other valuables.

In short, he had experience running carrying the loot.

Garrick would place the Tree Talisman onto the new pedestal, the trip to and fro taking him around twenty seconds. Hopefully that would be enough.

Harrier Caliane Ruinë

Last edited:
Garrick Knight Caliane Ruinë Seyda Cosmin Lowdust

It just barely was. As spectral laughter rattled down the chamber, the three stone talismans glowed brighter, then shattered and crumbled across the floor.

The leftmost and rightmost pedestals now held a leather boot each. A note on the middle pedestal read as follows.

proxy.php

source

These are legendary seven-league boots, though the pace length isn't nearly that exact. They don't fit me, so enjoy. Don't run into any castles and never, ever wear them indoors. Maybe try wearing one boot at a time for safety's sake. As near as I can tell, the price of these boots is the life energy of those who happen to die from using them wrong.

Congratulations on cheating past the lettuce-cabbage-fox puzzle. Your next riddle is the stone door that just appeared in front of you.

Indeed there was a door, and on it an inscription.

I HAVE NO USE, LIKE MY FATHER BEFORE ME
I AM MY CHAIR AND MY HAT, AND NOTHING MORE
YOU CARRY MY FACES, OR SOON YOU WILL

Last edited:
Garrik grinned. Cheating was perhaps one of his favorite ways to win. He took the boot from one of the pedestals in hand, leaving for other for Caliane Ruinë. He looked over at the flame-haired and winged elf. He felt they'd both earned a share of this treasure, and had played a strong part in working out this riddle, but at the same having only one leg capable of a seven league stride was a recipe for disaster. These boots could make him a lot of money, whether through sale or helping with jobs, but Garrick had already earned the key, while the winged elf hadn't earned anything.

"Tell you what." Garrick said to the elf. "I'll sell this boot to you for a kiss from a beautiful woman."

Caliane picked up the boot in curiosity and then put it on the floor to measure it against her feet; probably too big for her. She also preferred the skies to walking, even if this would apparently make her travels a lot faster. She was mulling over trying to fit both feet into it when Garrick spoke up. She was still bent over at this point, with the old boot in one hand and she looked up at him through her lashes with an openly amused look in those emerald eyes.

"Brave," the angel-like creature murmured. She did admire the trait in Groundlings. "But what use is a boot for a woman with wings?" she stretched them out as if to demonstrate her point to their full length now, each being as tall as her. It was quite clear she could cover miles with them in a short amount of time.

Cosmin, who had previously been contented to sit back and watch, now saw it was time to continue and- hopefully -come across further riches.

"Perhaps it could be a gift, then, O Winged One and grounded lech," he offered to the boot-toting student of Elbion as he breezed forwards. "Certainly would cause fewer issues, be a touch less, hm, problematic?" Slowly but surely, this Garrick fellow was beginning to remind the budding diviner of someone he'd used to know. It wasn't the most pleasant feeling.

But there before them stood an obstacle- A door. A riddle door. That figures... "No use, something father, carrying faces... What're you, a clock?" Cosmin muttered to himself, giving the door two firm raps with his knuckle.

Caliane held the young mans gaze a moment longer with a smile playing at the corners of her mouth before she glanced to the door instead with a subtle shake of the head. A kiss of an Avariel would not be won so easily but she admired his attempts.

"I admire your brazen words but you will not be joining the mile high club today, Young One," and with that she picked up her one stinky boot and stepped up to join Cosmin in examining the door and thinking the riddle through her mind again.

But there before them stood an obstacle- A door. A riddle door. That figures... "No use, something father, carrying faces... What're you, a clock?" Cosmin muttered to himself, giving the door two firm raps with his knuckle.

It was not, alas, a clock.

"Your loss" Garrick responded, keeping his boot and heading over to the door. He was perhaps a little disappointed, but Garrick wasn't one for regrets.

No use, like my father before me. I am my chair, my hat, nothing more. You carry my faces, or you soon will.

The riddle answer stacks upon itself, can fill your face, has no use, like it's father before it.

Garrick looked around, remembering the window in a previous riddle shone light on what the true answer was, rather than be something to talk to. If he found nothing, he'd simply speak to the door.

"Lies, or pride." He said. Both furthered themselves, building upon each other, and filled the faces of men.

Harrier Caliane Ruinë Cosmin Lowdust

The inscription on the door acquired another line.

I HAVE NO USE, LIKE MY FATHER BEFORE ME
I AM MY CHAIR AND MY HAT, AND NOTHING MORE
YOU CARRY MY FACES, OR SOON YOU WILL
I AM A KING

The door slid open - most of it. A thin strip of gold barred the way. Mounted on it was a beautiful dagger of Sereti steel, bronze, and polished black wood, with a note.

proxy.php

source
This knife belonged to the Matron of the Aviary in Mardiakhor, a city of Amol-Kalit. The Matron was a notorious madam and slave trafficker. I killed her - or rather the bones concealed beneath the Aviary did so. Present the knife at bathhouses and suchlike places in Amol-Kalit, and you will likely enter unsearched and without paying.

OOC/ riddle to follow
Caliane Ruinë Garrick Knight Seyda Cosmin Lowdust

Caliane took the knife delicately and twirled it through her fingers with ease, feeling the weight of it. Content she then pushed it into her belt with a smile. It would definitely be nice to have a few free 'spas' that she had heard so much about. Perhaps in this land they wouldn't mind her wings as much.

"Now we are even - one treasure and one boot each," Cali flashed the boy a smile as she walked through the door to the next room and begun to think on the next riddle.

The woman said "Kings", and Garrick snapped his fingers and pulled a coin out of his pocket. Coins, pride, he should gotten the connections sooner.

"Nice work" Garrick complimented and returned the smile to Caliane Ruinë , then went forward to the next room. He examined the plaque, and gave it a cursory guess.

"Rebellion."

Harrier Cosmin Lowdust

That last answer was enough to earn Garrick a glare, the telltale wrinkles of a grimace contorting Cosmin's normally well-kept facade of ease and calmness. "Or perhaps it's a touch less tender of a wound, like a candle. Now I know what you're thinking, you don't tear a candle asunder-- But doesn't it make a hair more sense than the bloosy pyromancer?"

Shaking his head, Cosmin turned to address the door once more. He gave his sleeve a slight, annoyed adjustment, arms flopped outwards in an open shrug. "I don't know, fire? An orb. Seeing stone. Magnifying glass. The letter 'F', since we're just throwing out any garbage."

Harrier

Caliane mulled it over carefully. Those words could apply to many things, it was almost the complete opposite to the last puzzle where she had been unsure of how such specific clues could related to one thing. The other guesses however made her curious.

"Who is this Maho 'Jerik' Sparhawk?"

• Yay
Reactions: Garrick Knight