Private Tales There Will Come A Reckoning

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Drast would nod in understanding at her acceptance. He couldn't help but laugh at how common blood sounded. Almost.. disdainful.

"Huh... I'd never heard that." Drast said as they rode, taking a chance to look back to the Jades. He was very close to home, and a sudden homesickness would visit is thoughts, thought it wasnt long before he dispelled them.

"Well, how about sometime we go searching for that throne. Whether we find it or not, I'm sure it would be quite the adventure, Lady Pirian." He would offer that confident grin before reaching forward to pat the broad neck of his courser.

"What we used to hear of the Jades, was that a great evil lurked there for many.. many years. And every two hundred years, that threat emerges and stalks to the land. Its silly, because every old timer will have a different idea on when those two hundred years are up." He laughed just thinking about it.

Kristen Pirian

• Wonder
Reactions: Kristen Pirian
Like a callback to her childhood desire, Drastus made quite the suggestion and Kristen was pleased to hear it. "Wouldn't that be a grand adventure! Even if we found nothing, 'twould be a worthwhile expedition. Now we need but a reprieve from the Academy to embark upon it!"

Well, even as busy as they were, they wouldn't be so forever. Graduation would inevitably come, and such an escapade would be much more available to them then.

Drastus spoke on the myths of the Jades from his side of the mountain range, and to that Kristen gave an awed whistle. "My, that sounds frightening." Then, combining the two myths in her head and saying the result aloud, "Mayhap that evil is what caused the god's beloved to depart from the Jade Throne."

The din of the city began to grow louder, more distinct, as their horses drew near to the edge of town.

Drastus Tal'deneshaar

"Or you know... send a report saying we need to investigate the Jades for signs of undead." He would say conspiratorially. He hoped this adventure would take more than a few days, he needed time away from the Academy. Time away from using his gifts.

"Eh, Taldorak was a severe man.." Drast would pause a moment. "He.. is the closest thing we had to a grandfather. I think he was just trying to scare us." He would say with a shrug. "Maybe.. its the gods beloved that is the monster? And the Jade throne was a curse?" He offered, letting that suggestion hang in the air.

Then he would do the unthinkable. As they drew near to the gate, he would shoot her a wink before his heels dug into the sides of his courser, getting him to spur out before her. "Make way, for Lady Kristen Pirian!!" He would shout over the din of the people, adding a surprising amount of bass to his voice to make it boom commandingly. Peasant, common blood, and urchin alike dove out of their paths and bowed their heads in reverence to Kristen as she rode past. After all, she looked important in that armor of hers.

Kristen Pirian

• Wonder
Well, that was certainly one way to do it. Though Kristen, truth be told, was adverse to fabricating an excuse to be delinquent and to take unscrupulous advantage of the leeway they had been given. Mayhap it would naturally be part of their mission to go into the Jades, though. Even then, it was to her far more preferable for the excursion not to have the specter of duty lingering over them.

"Who can say?" Kristen said with a small shrug. The myths were what they were, and it was difficult of course to parse out any truths that might rest within them. The most salient fact, however, was that Vel Numera had stood without ruination for more than two hundred years, so if there was an evil which truly awakened, it didn't make it outside of the Jades.

Then Drastus rode ahead. He made a booming announcement, to which Kristen, bashfully, tried to make herself smaller from, shrinking in her saddle even as he said it. Yet she did this with a clear smile on her face. It was somewhat embarrassing to have such a fanfare for her entrance, the sort of thing which she had seen reserved for her mother and father, for her Uncle Tobias and Aunt Henrietta. Never before in her life had her entrance to anywhere been heralded so. But, regardless of whatever shyness and anxiousness arose, she found ultimately that she liked it. She liked to be regarded in such a lofty manner. She had respect for people from all strata of Anirian society, but she was cognizant of her own station, of the Pirian blood in her veins, and it would have been nothing more than an abject falsehood to say that she did not enjoy it.

The Pirian House Guards by the Gate did not at first believe Drastus, moving forward to make him and her stop regardless. But the moment they saw Kristen, her face and her tabard, they knew. Their eyes alighted with recognition and minor shock, awe, and they stepped away from Kristen's path in deference, echoing Drastus by saying each, "My Lady Kristen!"

As they rode through the wide streets of Vel Numera, those that heard Drastus and saw Kristen pointed and murmured excitedly. Another Pirian had come to grace their fair city! The Darling Daughter herself! Look how big she had grown!

"My," Kristen said to Drastus, her cheeks flushed with excitement and adoration and just a hint of that abashment, "this is all so very novel to me. I-I've never been hailed so magnificently before!"

Drastus Tal'deneshaar

The guards stepped forward to challenge the Pirian Herald, though their advance halted upon the recognition of the Darling Daughter. As he rode past, one hand gripped the horn of the saddle firmly while he bent down to flip up the chin of the nearest one. "Never challenge the Herald, good sir."

As he straightened in his saddle, allowing his own heraldry to be seen, he would be pleased to notice the recognition in some of the eyes of the common-folk. His fathers Wardens had patrolled all of Vel Anir and though he couldn't think of a specific moment, he was sure his father had defended their closest neighbors.

"Make way! The Darling Daughter!" He would bellow again before sneaking a look back at Kristen with his mischievous grin. Looking back to the people, he would roar with a burst of energy, lifting both hands to pump the people up, followed by a hearty laugh.

One hand dipped into his pouch and he paused briefly to pay a florist along the path for several bouquets, taking the chance to respond to Kristen. "Well you should get use to it, your people adore you." He would say before offering her one of the bouquets. The rest he would hand to a trio of rascal children who raced down before them tossing the flowers along the street.

Another wink, before his heels kicked inwards and urged his courser forward once more. Drastus didn't even need to shout anymore, the people had just taken it up as if it were a call to arms, so they chanted, cheered, more flowers found their way to the street, and vendors would step forward to offer her some wares. Even guards would begin to fall in around her to keep her from being swarmed.

Finally, they would reach the stables, at which point he would kick his leg up and over his coursers head before dismounting on the right side and after handing his reins to a stable hand, would offer the reins of Kristen's to another. Standing at attention, he would then hold a hand up for her to take in her dismount. "Stick with me, my dear, and I'll make sure you never have to worry about what the people think of you."

Kristen Pirian

• Bless
There were, evidently, some people from across the Jades, for once they had made some headway into the city and Drastus's cloak could be well seen some murmurs and calls of "His Wardens! He sends his Wardens!" joined in with those extolling the Darling Daughter.

Kristen accepted graciously the bouquet that was handed to her, taking the time to raise it to her nose and sniff the flowers. If only this were not a mission and she had better preparation to take care of all the flowers she'd been given! Seemed like a waste to simply let them go to wilting. Oh—ah ha! As they were riding along, House Guards keeping back some of the more eager onlookers, there was a small group of girls about her age looking on and waving. Kristen smiled to them and tossed the bouquet their way, and somehow it was the shortest among them who leaped the highest and grabbed it from the air. Her friends looked a trifle jealous, but were nevertheless happy to see the radiant grin on her face and they all set to giggling with delighted glee.

Upon reaching the stables, Kristen once more took Drastus's hand as she dismounted.

"I should hope that I remain of such character to be worthy of their admiration," Kristen said. Not that she had any fears of falling into ignominy. With her Dreadlord idols to look up to—Selene, Zana, Evangeline—how could she go wrong?

Kristen gestured up the thoroughfare. Henrietta Way, was its name. "This will take us to the Mayor's manor."

Drastus Tal'deneshaar

Drastus would almost clam up at the talk of Wardens. He had none of the armor, but he knew what most thought when they saw his family Crest. This just added another layer of importance.

At the stables he helped her down, he would fix anything on her appearance that seemed off. "Oh I know, but you'll never announce yourself." He joked. "You uhh.. You'll definitely live up to the reputations of those that came before." He responded with a smile.

Turning to look up the directed route, he would nod. "Lead on, ill follow your lead here, after all, this is your mission." He would gesture with his arm for her to proceed.

Kristen Pirian

• Yay
Drastus helped fix her hair and to set her tabard straight. There! Presentable, and dressed to impress. Kristen knew from all her prior missions that she was not the strongest Initiate the Academy could have sent alongside Drastus. Far from it! But she was loathe to project an aura of incapable weakness, when what the people of Vel Numera wanted was reassurance that everything was going to be okay.

Together they walked down Henrietta Way. Tall buildings arched over the street, banners strung across their roofs with little triangular flags of solid white and solid red flapping in the light breeze. From high windows did shutters open and women and children look down from above, catching a glimpse of the two Dreadlord Initiates who had come to aid their city: a Warden of Tal'deneshaar (so they supposed) and the Darling Daughter herself!

Henrietta Way terminated at a T-intersection, a fountain where the roads met and the Mayor's manor at the head of the T. The Gates were already open for them, and standing by the front doors was a man clad in finer armor than those of the ordinary House Guard footmen. He had his helm tucked under one arm, revealing a shaved head and a salt and pepper beard trimmed to a fine point. He had a venerable, if world-weary look to him.

"Word travels fast," he said with a gravelly voice, one wore down by too many years of shouting mayhap. He smiled humbly, and then he bowed to Kristen as she approached. "Captain Rennil, at your service, my Lady Kristen."

"Pleased to meet you," she said, offering him a polite curtsy.

Captain Rennil looked to Drastus and extended him a hand. "Your Proctor didn't forward your name, son. Might you say it for me, and we can be well met?"

Drastus Tal'deneshaar

He couldn't lie.. it was a very pretty city. But then again, it seemed everything Pirian touched was graced with beauty, especially its Darling Daughter. Even the peasantry weren't ugly.

The Captain that met them seemed to be a very capable man, one that had likely served the House for some time and rightly earned his position. He almost reminded Drastus of Taldorak, which instantly won him over.

Introductions were done and then the good Captain asked his name, had this been a real mission all the names would have been sent ahead. Oh Kristen.. he was catching on! Rookie mistake.

Drast eyed the hand and remembered there was a certain way for warriors. Reaching, he would almost grip the Captains hand before slipping further up to the foreman. A warriors clasp. His gaze would meet the Captains. "Drastus Tal'deneshaar, son of the late Stryfe Tal'deneshaar. Well met, friend."

• Yay
Captain Rennil's eyes widened just a bit when Drastus introduced himself. "It's been a while," he said, "since I last shook hands with a Tal'deneshaar."

He let go and then pushed open the door into the manor, holding it open for the two of them and then stepping ahead to lead them through the elegant foyer. His boots echoed crisply on the tile. "The Academy spared nothing, sending the both of you here."

"Quite so!" Kristen said, happiness pervading her tone. My, it was just so exciting to be here, performing a mission in Pirian lands and among good company! What a disaster it would have all been if her partner were Bull, or Trix, or Edric. Drastus was the perfect companion for this venture! "We will tirelessly see to our duties and set the worried souls of Vel Numera at ease."

Captain Rennil started up the central staircase, letting out a throat-rumbling hmm as he did. "Your eagerness is assuring, my Lady Kristen. You will have to forgive Mayor Caspian, however." He paused for a moment on the stairs, looking to her and to Drastus, an exhaustion that spoke precisely of his age coming over his eyes. "Caspian was expecting two First Level Dreadlords, if not two actual Archons, to show here. Between the three of us...his concerns are overstated. So brace yourselves."

Then Captain Rennil smiled, the gesture small and subtle, and he said to Drastus, "But a son of Stryfe ought to be assuage his runaway worries, no?"

Drastus Tal'deneshaar

"Well, this is the first I shake hands with a Captain Rennil and I already look forward to the next." Drast said with a smile of his own, and he would really mean it. It was always odd hearing others praise your parents. Not within their own cities, but beyond those borders, he would truly hear that praise as proof of the tales that circulated his lands of the 'Exploits of Lord Stryfe and his Wardens'.

He would then follow the Captain into the impressive mansion. "I'm surprised word came for the Academy and not just straight over the mountains. Granted, I'm sure Dreadlords are far more impressive to summon." This Mayor seemed to be playing court games already and it wasn't lost on Drast.

The Captain, however, seemed to have a moment of honesty with them. So, they might as well do something with it. "Why not make him think he succeeded in getting one first level and an initiate?" Drast offered. "It would secure your favor with him and its not like its any the wiser. Plus I think I do a smashing impersonation of one."

He would, however, return the smile to the Captain. "Or it could make him irrate. Either way, I hear there are some lovely settlements just over the Jades to retire to."

Kristen Pirian

• Yay
I'm surprised word came for the Academy and not just straight over the mountains. Granted, I'm sure Dreadlords are far more impressive to summon.

Kristen had a quick pondering on that. It did seem a little peculiar, especially if the Mayor was so worried—Wardens from the land of Tal'deneshaar could've been here days before she and Drastus had even set foot on the journey. But when Captain Rennil gave a resigned shrug, said that it was his guess that summoning Dreadlords was an ingrained reflex, that seemed tidy enough an answer.

They started to ascend the stairs again.

Captain Rennil smiled thinly at Drastus's suggestion, a touch amused at the jest they could pull over the Mayor's fretting head, but nonetheless said, "You're both far too young to be First Levels."

As the Captain led them along the second floor hallway, Kristen looked to Drastus. "Well! Speaking of them, these lovely settlements, should we require additional manpower to, say, canvas an area, surely we'll have your fellows to call upon."

It was a great comfort to know that, in the Aionus-forsaken chance that this matter with the ghoul somehow got out of hand, help was but a quick summoning away.

Drastus Tal'deneshaar

"I mean, clearly you're smart enough to know that.. but is he?" Drast returned the smile, but as a smirk.

His gaze shifted to Kristen as she spoke of his lands. "Oh yeah, if we need help, just light the beacons, they'll send a small retinue, I'm sure." His father had men stationed in the Jades to work beacons for signaling it was faster than any messengers horse and allowed he and his warriors to respond quickly to threats. He was sure his brother still used them.

After some more trekking, they would find themselves near the mayors chamber. Drast would pull on his fancy white gloves and prepared himself to cut of the mayor should he get indignant. Whether it was to them or the Captain. Drast could bluff his way into or out of any situation. This would be no different.

Kristen Pirian

• Yay
The beacons! Kristen had a hazy memory of her father telling her about them, and her, subsequently, wanting to go up to the Jades to see one be lit—yet another way in which she tried to convince her parents to take her up there. While things would most certainly be dire if indeed she and Drastus had to light them, again, it was reassuring know that they were there to be lit, that a retinue of aid was but a short distance away.

Captain Rennil rapped his knuckles on the Mayor's door, and from inside came an eager, "Come in, come in!"

Rennil opened the door for them and Kristen stepped inside. Modest, not too gaudy, but not too humble either, was Mayor Caspian's office chamber. He stood up from his desk as Captain Rennil was introducing the two of them as the Initiates sent by the Academy, and he came round to them. His shoulders were hunched forward and he had a slight slouch to his posture, as if old age were creeping up on him and he'd yet to take true notice. Caspian as well had a look of relief plastered across his expression.

Though his smile, the look in his eyes, had a fragility to them. A specific kind. One that hinted to a certain disappointment, as if a gift received were not quite what he was expecting and yet he had to maintain the appearance of satisfaction regardless.

"Oh good. Good!" Caspian said. To Kristen he bowed. "Pleased to see you, my Lady Kristen." And to Drastus he likewise bowed. "And to you, son of Stryfe, Drastus Tal'deneshaar, from our friends across the Jades." He spread his hands out wide. "Welcome to Vel Numera! I only wish the occasion was more malleable to pleasantries than it is. Alas."

"It is good to make your acquaintance, Mayor," Kristen said, offering him a small polite curtsy. The prior Mayor had likely retired to a cozy cottage on the countryside. "Though we are but Initiates, Drastus and I shall endeavor to root out any and all signs of wayward necromancy. The people's minds will be put to ease."

Drastus Tal'deneshaar

Drast would offer a smile to the mayor as he stepped inside the room, his gloved hands clasping behind his back. Given the Captains warning, he figured the excitement to be.. suspicious.

And then he saw it, that look in his eye. He was keeping up appearances. Drastus couldn't blame him, truly, for wanting level ones.. just.. there seemed to be no real reason for level ones.

After the Mayor greeted them, and Kristen responded, Drast would bow his head. "Mayor, I assure you that any elements of necromancy will be found, and brought under boot."

Kristen Pirian

• Bless
Caspian's grin was like that of an old man who had been suffering under some worry for all his years and then being definitively convinced that everything was going to be fine. If he'd had Drastus's hand in his, he would've shaken it emphatically, most like.

"Oh good! Good, good, good. Your words allay the troubled heart beating in my chest. There were some of our duly elected officials of the Republic who, erhm...downplayed my concerns. How short their memories are! It was scarcely over a year ago that a Tide of the Dead threatened Vel Anir itself!"

Kristen gave a grim nod to that. What a tumultuous day that had been. First steeped in horror of the undead, then in fear and hope of the Revolution.

"May I ask you a question, Mayor Caspian?"

"Most certainly, my Lady."

Kristen glanced in two small motions to her left and right, as if he might be hiding to spring a surprise greeting for her. "Where is my cousin? Do you know if he is aware of my arrival?"

Caspian brightened with realization. "Oh! Yes. Lord Fyris. I did so inform him, and I do believe he is still attending to business somewhere within the manor. Mayhap you'll encounter him?"

Fyris. Kristen had some brief occasions for his company, at family gatherings and socials and galas and such. She remembered that, while he had a generally good heart and was no intentional troublemaker, he nevertheless was a touch...aloof. Forgetful. In fact, now that she thought of it, Raf reminded her quite a bit of her cousin Fyris.

A knowing nod to the Mayor—surely he knew of Fyris's aloof nature. "I understand. Thank you, Mayor."

"Well." Caspian clapped his hands to his thighs, and then gestured to the Captain. "Captain Rennil will guide you to where we've kept the ghoul's corpse, such that you may begin your investigation. Please, if you need anything, anything, do not hesitate to call upon myself, Rennil, Lord Fyris even, or anyone, to speak truly, in Vel Numera. All of us want to rest assured in the coming days."

Drastus Tal'deneshaar

"Oh yes, I cannot believe they tried to downplay with such a close event to warrant true concern." Drastus would mirror the Mayor's concern. Did he actually? No. When all hell was breaking loose and undead were storming Vel Anir, there would never be confirmation nor denial that Drastus may or may not have borrowed some of the undead and entertained himself. There was a musical number, a dance, maybe a few more dances. He laughed, the undead laughed, and the other initiates cried.. so he laughed some more. It was pretty great.

Fyris? Drast took every effort to successfully not laugh at the name Fyris. Even backwards the name almost rhymed, Fyris and Siryf. "Thank you Mayor Caspian. I am confident that we have things from here." Drastus would say with a practiced, yet noble reaffirming smile.

Whew, enough of that blowhard and back to the real champion of Vel Numera: Captain Rennil. Drast would spin on his heels to face the Captain. "Well then, Captain, do lead on." Drast would then lean close to Kristen, voice lowered only for her to hear. "Hear that? Ask anyone. Something tells me that seven year old page knows some stuff." he said jokingly. Hopefully she didn't think he was serious.

Kristen Pirian

• Haha
"Right this way," Captain Rennil said, gesturing out of the Mayor's office. "It isn't far."

Kristen followed his lead, as did Drastus. Well. That went well, she thought. Captain Rennil certainly was playing at no jest when he said that the Mayor's concerns were rather much. Kristen had her own concerns, yes, the security of Vel Numera foremost among them and proving herself in the eyes of Proctor Magomo a close second. Even at her most anxious, she didn't think a second Tide of the Dead was threatening to crash into Vel Numera, however.

Which was why Drastus's confided comment was made all the more funny.

Kristen giggled into her palm as the trio descended the central staircase of the manor. Her hand slid away from her face, not entirely taking the tight-lipped, laughter-suppressing smile with it. After a moment she was able to say of the Mayor, "His, um...well his heart is in the right place!"

This threatened to summon another little fit of giggles, but she kept it in.

Kristen made a point to glance around the foyer of the manor before Captain Rennil led them out, but still, no sign of her cousin. Out in the courtyard as they were walking, she mused, "Ah...Forgetful Fyris. As always. I suppose some things never change."

And to Drastus she gave a resigned, what can you do look. It would have been nice to say hello, and yes, still, she would most certainly get that chance later—even if she had to kick open the door to the Pirian estate and wait, arms crossed and foot tapping, outside of Fyris's door, charging up a most aggressive familial hug for having made her wait.

But for now they had work to do.

Drastus Tal'deneshaar

They followed Captain Rennil out to where the corpse was, and all Drast could do whilst Kristen giggled was hit her with that grin, hoping to prompt more out of her.

Before they reached the foyer, on the landing of the stairs they would pass the seven year old page that Drast had been referring to. This caused Drast to stop, look around conspiratorially, and crouch low. "Hey kid, you seen any undead lately?" Those little eyes went wide in shock and following a quiet squeal, the kid went bounding up the steps. "Huh.. that wasn't helpful."

Continuing on to the foyer Kristen spoke that ridiculous name again then gave him a weird look. "Right. Is uhh.. Fyris a family name? Or just a Fyris name?"

Kristen Pirian

• Popcorn
"Oh. Um." Kristen seemed a trifle perplexed at the question. "Just a...Fyris...name...I suppose?" She shrugged. "It's all that I've known him by. I cannot say that I am as acquainted with him as I am with other cousins of mine, though. His forgetfulness and, it must be said, aversion to responsibility drag down his other more endearing qualities."

She looked up to the sky as they walked away from the manor, taking a right instead of going down Henrietta Way. "I just wonder if he will ever be ready for assume his duties as a lord."

Or, for that matter, Percival. To Val Kristen owed a great debt of gratitude, for it was him who raised her up out of the mire of despondent sorrow and frigid terror in the wake of her kidnapping. Yet she knew of the aspersions leveled on him from others in House Pirian—and not all of them were untrue. Would Val, as the Heir Apparent, successor to Tobias, be ready to don the mantle of Head of House when the time came?

A glance to Drastus, and a wan smile. "Every family has a son or daughter like Fyris, no?"

Drastus Tal'deneshaar

Last edited:
"Huh.. a Fyris name.. guess it could have been worse." the last bit was of course muttered to himself. So the guy just sounded... useless. Perfect. "So, FyGuy can't likely handle what's going on.. but.. if you barely know him.. do you think he could be part of what's going on?"

It was a dangerous question to be sure. But to him, from experience of course, undead normally come from someone on the inside of a city. Why? Nobody ever expects it. They just expect some creepy cabin on the outskirts.

He shrugged at Kristens question. "I got a lot of siblings, but no real family beyond that.. and I haven't seen them in a decade. From my brother's letters, seems like I'm the only one not contributing to the House, unless you count this as a service. Valdr was groomed young and took over young and when my dad died, Kavaros was then groomed.. so.. I think its something they got covered."

Kristen Pirian

• Nervous
Kristen drew in a sharp breath through her nose, brow raising and eyes piercing. Drastus's words might well have been a bramble of thorns which had poked into her leg during a stroll—thoroughly unpleasant and the ruination of a moment. It was a startling suggestion to be made of her cousin Fyris in so cavalier a manner. Entertaining the mere thought of it felt not only like a besmirching of Fyris's name but of her family as a whole.

She held her tongue. Until the light sting of the moment passed, only hurtful words would have flown from it.

And it was good that she did, for it soon passed. Drastus spoke on his own family and, my, was it a touch shocking to hear what had been writ of him in his brother's letters! Not contributing? That was...that was just simple codswallop, is what that was! Training intensively for years to become a formidable Dreadlord in service to Vel Anir was not something to be so trivially dismissed! Kristen pivoted to being cross with Valdr instead of with Drastus in a heartbeat.

"Still, 'not contributing?' Hardly a fair accusation of your brother to level on you!"

Captain Rennil pushed open the door to the town mortuary as Kristen made her comment, guiding the two inside. Just beyond the lobby and into the adjacent room, the viewing room, would lay the objection of their investigation.

Drastus Tal'deneshaar

Her reaction wasn't lost on Drast, and though he felt somewhat bad at suggesting it, it wasn't like every member of each large house was loyal. They all had a price, one that members of smaller houses couldn't even merit.

They had arrived at the mortuary and Drast turned to Captain Rennil. "Thank you, Captain. We got it from here. Find yourself a well-earned tankard of ale, I'm going to need some time studying the undead."

His gaze shifted to Kristen and he offered a shrug. "My father wouldn't have wanted me to walk this path. I do the very thing he fights against." Drast said lowly to her.

He could feel Ruperts amusement. Sometimes his bony companion could be a right cocky bastard.

Kristen Pirian

• Cry
"Aye, so much the better," Captain Rennil said. And then he pointed toward the viewing room ahead. "The less I have to lay eyes on that thing, the less I have to smell it..." He shuddered. "Reach out to me if you need anything, son of Stryfe. My Lady Kristen."

And he took his leave.

Drastus and Kristen, their hands on the viewing room's double doors, and Drastus said:

My father wouldn't have wanted me to walk this path. I do the very thing he fights against.

Empathic sorrow, as if her own father had rejected her decision to enroll into the Academy instead of endorsed it, painted Kristen's visage. "It is regrettable that your father feels so." Yes, intensely regrettable, but what could be done? All Kristen could do was be glad for her own blessings, that she'd a family who loved her and supported her. Not that Drastus didn't, but there were many an Initiate, a crushing majority of them she'd come to learn, who did not.

The smell which Captain Rennil had been quite repulsed by greeted them once they opened the doors. Kristen coughed, and then raised a hand to cover her nose.

Upon a dais was the corpse of the ghoul. Shriveled gray skin stretched over its gaunt frame, bones poking at the necrotic flesh like the poles of a tent. The thing was beyond human, as ghouls were—a terrible fate for one's body upon the departure of the soul, Kristen feared. A kind of rigor mortis had set in, the ghoul's arms upright and bent as if it were frozen in the act of pawing at some fluttering thing just above wear it lay. Shrunken lips pulled back to reveal an eternal sneer, teeth filed to fangs.

(And to the astute eye, one of those teeth, though discolored like the rest, was nevertheless a fake upon close inspection. Fake, and hollow. Something inside.)

"Ghastly," Kristen commented, hazarding a few steps closer to get a better look.

Drastus Tal'deneshaar

His gaze shifted to Kristen. "I enslave souls to do my bidding. Thats my magic. My father made a career fighting undead and Necromancers, because we steal the choice. Its a dark magick, a corruptible one. I'm just glad he wasn't alive to witness me do it." He said gently. There were better ways to do what he did, but his way was easier, quicker, made him feel... better.

He locked the doors behind them and walked over to the corpse. He had grown use to such scents, but the ability to control the necrotic also gave him some control over the smell. His eyes would glow a faint bluish and the scent would desist.

"Better?" He asked glancing at her with a grin. "Oh good one." She was feeling punny. "I'd say he was looking more ghoulish." A broader grin.

He shrugged his pack off of his shoulders and opened it, taking Ruperts head free from the pack. "Okay buddy, tell me what you see." He mused. Holding the head high and looking down, she would see that ethereal glow enter Ruperts eye sockets and Drast would circle the dais until he paused. "Really?"

He was talking to Rupert, the thing he tried to not do in front of people. But he figured Kristen wouldn't think differently of him. Especially after the night before, and the fact they trained together. She learned that Rupert could talk then. "Kris." He said her name just to get her attention before tossing her Ruperts skull.

"Make sure he watches, but you might want to look away." Gloves on, his fingers reached into the maw of the ghoul and he tried each tooth. It would take several moments as he kept tracing over each one, unsure. But Rupert assured him a tooth looked wrong. He would pull three, just to be sure. Taking a mallet, he would tap each of them lightly. The first two teeth acted as rotted teeth did. The third, would crack. It looked like the rest, but was sturdier. "Damn Rupe. Good eyes. This tooth is a fake."

Kristen Pirian

• Wonder