Completed The sun falls on heavy shoulders

The armies have slowly and steadily lined the battlements of Maraan. It would have been busy on any other day, but the sudden announcement silenced all in bewilderment.
The merrymaking has ended abruptly.

The swallow was cosily leaning against the merlon, one time stretching out his bow, another just leaning with arms crossed, gazing towards his companion.
Ibn Adil slowly approached him, but he couldn't quite get the knot from his throat out.
»Cleared your mind? The cool air does wonders this late.« The swallow tightened his grip, turning his head around and gazing upon the starred sky. It was hard to read emotion from his always concealed face.
Sometimes Ibn Adil felt like he couldn't connect with him at all. On other days their connection was as clear as day.

Ibn Adil settled cosily behind the neighbouring merlon, blurting out.: »Enough Khaleel, We'll be late, and all because of this siege. We should've left not long after arriving.«

»And then they'd pick us off alone in the open as they'd pass to Maraan. - See them, my friend, they've gathered under the same man that attacked us yesternight.« The swallow leaned towards the crenel and motioning at the assembly of sand elves. There were so many, rarely had either seen more than mere fragments.

Ibn Adil went quiet for a moment, he thought about what to say next, but the silence between the two was unsettling.
He let out a long exhale as he leaned against the merlon again. »The city is filled to the brim with soldiers. But... Nagendra could complicate things. He's impatient and furious.«

As the commander of the sand elves approached with his entourage, the soldiers were quick to draw weapons. But command to call a halt were issued down the walls and both Ibn Adil and The swallow eased their bowstrings.
Ibn Adil gazed once briefly at his companion; his gaze like falcons before setting his eyes upon the opposition.

The gatehouse.

From the town council came the Mayor, He stood atop the gatehouse hazing downward. The call from the desert was hard to miss, what a donning voice. The mayor was an old and greying man, followed by a few members of the council, some nobles and royals of other city-states and the foreign King Nagendra himself.
»Who are you at the helm of the Abtati, standing before the gates of Maraan, a free city of trade.«
The man's voice was weak and frail, a gate guard besides would repeat loudly after him to make the man heard.

Last edited:
  • Yay
Reactions: Infernal and Gerra
Nevar had not intended to get involved in a fight, He had only been passing through on his greater journey of freeing his people. What he had not been prepared for was the sudden attack of sand elves. He had heard something was up with them, gathering forces and banding together, but what he was witnessing was beyond his expectations. He had barely gotten away leaving those who had traveled with him behind. Once within the safety of Maraan, he heard more on what was going on. So for his own safety he remained within the wall healing those who needed it, and on some nights letting his darker side wreck some controlled havoc.

In the days since his arrival the sand elf threat grew ever nearer, It seemed that the climax was soon to arrive as he now heard the shouting of a parley of sorts. So, Nevar drew close to the gatehouse, Whether the fighting would happen today, and he was needed, or this would only be a chance to sate his curiosity the gatehouse would be the place to be.

As he drew nearer however he started to hear laughter echoing within his head, to a normal man this would likely be a sign he was going crazy, Nevar however knew that he was not going loopy, or more so not in the traditional meaning. Nevar threw himself into an empty room before falling to his knees...

... The man who stood up could have passed for Nevar's brother, but the two were as different as night and day. This is what Raven had been waiting for: a fight. It was so close he could smell it. He had such a great time when they had attacked his caravan days ago. There had been no survivors on either side. Unfortunately before he could find more of the elves his lighter side had pulled him into a city.

It had been so hard allowing himself be restrained these past few days, to only offering a few souls to Hissut, one time he was allowed to get carried away, and burned a house down, Nevar had been able to pass the blame as a sand elf saboteur who had taken their own life rather than be caught. But now was the time he had been waiting for, let Nevar do the living. The fighting and killing, this was his time, and with how much control Nevar had had these past few days, Mr. Raven would really be able to shine.

Raven climbed onto the wall and stared at the forces out side then inside. With any luck most of these men who stood here would be dead in five days time. Peering over the edge he saw a giant approaching most likely the elves leader. He couldn't wait any longer, bowing in a mocking fashion he called out,

"All Hail king of the losers! Long time no siege. Dadgum start the siege already. Come on with you Raiding party, attack an enemy now. I bet my granny could scrap better than that."

A guard named Roggan next to Raven tried to get him to shut his mouth, Eventually pointing his spear at him, to which Raven grabbed it destroying it in the process but at the least Raven was no longer yelling over the wall, but instead fighting with the Roggan.

"Eh, smite me, and while we're at it, don't point that thing at me! Ah, being rushed. Quite touching me! You waited two hours to die like this?"

Roggan died calling for a monk.

With the rallying up the armies, Marevich found himself in a street, once full of merriment and joy, now emptied of people as soon as the message swept through the town. They were on the verge of assault, and the Komodo had one choice - turn tail and run, or stay and help? He could easily find a way out, but... well, he doubted he could live with himself for a while afterwords. After all, within him is the blood of dragons, and how would his ancestors look at him if he were a coward?

The street he was on was empty by now, and slowly, like a man to his gallows, Marevich continued through the street. A dry wind ripped through his heavy clothes and speckled sand across his outfit as he made his way outwards, towards the wall. Shifting his bag from his back to his side, and pulling his hood down lower over his mask, after a short while, he would make it, finally, to the gatehouse wall.

When he arrived, he did so in silence. He turned his eyes upward towards mayor, yet integrated himself among the combatants below, becoming like a shade among dead men. Except, so long as he was here, he would make it his duty that these men live, and live to fight again. Adrenaline pumped in his veins as he offered a prayer to whoever was listening, feeling the closeness of the battle in the thrums of his heart.

“One who would stem the tide of blood.”

The half-giant squinted up at the man on the ramparts.

“I am Gerra and I have no wish to sack your town or slaughter your people, but the Sand Elves crave retribution for what has been done to them. If you submit, I can see that your people are spared and your town unharmed. All I ask is tribute and oaths of fealty. But if you resist... I fear I will not be able to stop the Abtati. Once you have become so starved that you can barely stand, they would come over these walls like a tide and shed the blood of every man, woman, and child. Then burn the town to the ground. In time, the sand would cover the ruins. Nothing would remain. I do not wish this, when for the price or tribute the host before you could serve as your protection rather than your doom. Come, open your gates, let us drink together and talk of tribute.”

There was confliuct at the gates, and that would not remain tolerated. Some men would try tie Mr. Raven up and drag him off the wall if he would not compose himself. Murder, witnissed by so many was not tolerated within Maraan.

~*~​

The Mayor shook his head quietly, speaking something at first ilegible that the Orator relayed down.
»Maraan is a city of many people. If it yielded to every man with a scrap of an army, there would only be the arches here.« ...
Nagendra seemed to grow more impatient. The King stood out like a second sun in the night. Before anyone could even speak, he moved to the edge of the gate, gripping the small wall on the edge that held him back.
»I am King Nagendra, of the kingdom of Vedargasians. You disrupted my stay in this town, but I only wish for safe passage out.«

~*~​

The swallow leaned past the crenel, taking a stroll past the meandering warriors on the walls before finally reaching the gatehouse. There were so many people here, gathered, of different races, locals and foreigners.
The swallow bowed briefly before half the council that was assemble on the gatehouse before being invited into their circle.
»The man beneath is the attacker from yesternight.«

“And you shall have it. All those who wish to depart may do so,” Gerra called up, his voice sonorous and carrying. A polished speaker.

“And as for you...” his gaze shifted, “Do you see only scraps before you?”

Gerra extended his hands out to either side. His companions let out a ululating cry that was soon taken up by the whole host, from hundreds of throats.

The Vedargasian King Briefly shook his head. »Then I request safe passage.« The mayor seemed peeved off. But turned towards the Orator. His voice speaking as much to the Vedargasian as to Gerra.

»You and your people have raided a caravan yesternight.- We have no reason to trust that you will keep the traders safe.«

“Granted.”

To the mayor, “You do not, but there is no need for violence now. Is your pride worth the price of so many lives? When the grain is gone, you will begin to devour the animals. But they will disappear in time too. When, months from now, you sit a wasted man, your belly barely filled by the last flea-ridden cat, you will look back on this moment and wish you valued pride less and lives more.”

The Swallow gazed down before leaving to find Ibn Adil at the walls.
»Maraan will not fall to a man like you, not now, not ever,« the orator spoke, the old man growing far more incomprihensible, most of his words devolving into mumbling of some kind. The other of the council seemed grim to their faces. Usually armies simply left Maraan alone, not many daring to challange it's fortifications.

Nagendra descended. and began rallying his enturage soon enough the archers on the walls perked for movement and showed steel in their bows.
A line of Cataphracts slowly rode out with the king set cosily in the first third of the row.

• Yay
Reactions: TTamark
Raven grew bored. He had hoped that there would be some proper battle, and death going round, not this siege that was being threatened. Still Mr. Raven had picked up the important bits: The town wanted to fight. The elves would attack once the town starved. Even better they if the elves had to attack they would completely destroy everything, the best kind of destroying, and stuff to destroy. They giant even was willing to allow all those who wished to leave to do so. After killing the guard Raven wasn't feeling welcome so leaving was what he'd have done anyway. If only there was a way to make the town starve faster...

Mr. Raven left the walls, from the looks of those around him it seemed he was not very welcome there. Once he turned a corner he quickly ducked into an ally. He stood there and waited for whoever was following him from the wall to pass by. When you burn an official guard like he just did in broad daylight you don't tend to be allowed to just walk away. Grabbing the guard who began walking past he made sure he couldn't scream, only a few puffs of smoke escaped though his nose. Raven peaked both ways before exiting the ally again.

As he walked he racked Nevar's memories on where the warehouses that held large quantities of food would be. Within moments the first fire had started, luckily it is easy enough to escape in a crowd running from a fire. So the fires continued to rise up over the town as he made his way towards another gate. The only thought in his head being, "I hope they don't give up now."

Nevar had more thoughts on what was going on as he screamed at Raven from within his head,

"You are going to get us killed I swear. Do you have any idea how we are going to get out? We are surrounded they are unlikely to let people just walk out. Come on Raven you know our best chance at survival is to let me be the one in control. They have seen me for days they are more likely to co-operate with me over a strange man they have never seen. I can even talk with the elves once we are out. Come on Raven just be smart!"

Maravich was silent in the exchange, the dragon-descendent grim as he stood among the gathered armies. He watched as the guard tried to capture Mr. Raven, and felt stupid that he had not come in time to save the guard... but one life was not what he could hark on at the moment. For a moment, he was tempted to leave the town with the king. He could avoid the fray, and continue on his way without so much as anything.

But he didn’t take the opportunity... he stood among the gathered men, his tail slowly swishing behind him as he adjusted his bag to rest against his thigh, the opening in the old satchel half-open so that he could easily reach into it and draw forth his “goodly” tonics. The heat of the day beat down on him like a hammer, but he hid it, as he hid the feeling of fear and displacement swelling in his chest. Why was he even here?

He didn’t know, and maybe he would never know... but he wouldn’t back down. He was never fond of the idea of the metaphorical little guy being kicked down.. and so he stayed, and he readied his supplies. His eyes looked out from the gate, onto the horizon ahead.

“Then I am afraid our discussion will continue, but not with words.”

Gerra turned and strode away from the gates.

Telenar, I leave you and the Sheikh of Al-Hadhra in command. Do as you see fit. I have business elsewhere, on the Asha.”

"As you command, my king." This would be a grand undertaking, one he was ready to accomplish with great success. Trotting over to the Sheik, he spoke to him for a moment, and the plan was set on what to do with the king once he began his journey.

In war, deception was one's greatest weapon. Their arrogance in this instance would be their undoing, and Telenar was prepared to take full advantage of it.

"You there, begin making camp, and prepare at least one hundred extra campfires in the perimeter, past where they can see clearly." A careful eye had to be kept all over, so he assigned scouts to watch every side of the city, in case they tried sneaking away. Information was important, and he wanted to be aware of what was going on at all times. If they tried to rush out upon him, he would be ready, and he would make certain to end up the winner in this battle.

"Maraan will only be the first of many to fall, I will make certain of this."

The swallow began to retreat as all involved parties seemed to descend or depart.
He passed by a rather peculiar individual whom stood out to his eyes. Mostly the swishing of a silverine tail.
The swallow came from a town in the middle of nowhere, nothing else to see than elves and humans.
He turned to the komodi, taking in the discomfort on his face and bowing briefly.
»An unfortunate time to be in Maraan indeed. You come from far?«

As the king made his way past, Telenar called to him. "We don't have to be enemies. We share a common goal in fact, when it comes to maintaining order within this region. You and I both know there are riches to be made, even in a crisis like this. Tell me you don't actually want to come out of this poorer than you were before?"

The king and his enturage stopped. He gazed at Telenar, his voice definitely not of the locals.
But the king did not speak, his assistant did.
»The king of snakes, ruler of elephants already has all riches one could ever desire.«

Though the King did speak after studying Telenar well enough. »Shame my fetivity had to be curt so short,« He didn't sound too pleasant, but his voice uplifted a little.
»Alas such things are not forgiven easily. You can visit me beyond the Baal-Asha to ptoove your merit.«

"So be it then." Telenar said, making note of the name as he turned back towards Maraan.

The town was paltry, kept safe only by its impressive walls, but those same walls would be it's undoing. Trapped like rats, and just like rats, they'll find any way they can to get out of the chaos. Telenar was counting on that, because he wanted a way in that wasn't the main gate, and knew it would be shown to him if he was patient.

"Make certain to ration all food and water carefully. We're going to be here for a while."

• Yay
Reactions: White Swallow
Mr Raven was caught by the guards and for his crimes was taken into custody, and set to be executed to pay for his crimes. Turns out he only burned random houses.

Last edited:
  • Yay
Maravich would turn to the void that addressed, his white eyes standing starkly against his pale gray scales. Keeping a hand on the strap of his bag, Maravich kept his guard up around the Swallow, nodding slowly.

“I’ve seen worse,” Maravich would try to sound convincing that he has been in bigger scratches than this, but even he was having trouble convincing himself of such. The heat of the sun felt good though, and brought him some semblance of comfort. Anybody else would’ve been cooking in the type of attire he wore.

“Just stuck in the middle of a siege being fought by two groups I am completely unfamiliar with... what’s the worst that could happen?” Flicking a smirk, Maravich’s sense of gallow’s humor was his best defense in this situation. He didn’t mind having a bit of light conversation, but he hadn’t been expected to be approached at all - he was quite unprepared for conversation.

• Yay
The swallow pleasingly exhaled at the exchange. His voice didn't seem completely relieved, holding a certain tone of sharpness to it. »We're all in this situation. But- Maraan will not fall under my watch.«

• Yay
Reactions: Maravich
Seven days have passed. And a funeral was yesterday's news. Somebody had died in the mid of the waiting game. Whatever the reason was, news didn't spread much outside the walls.

Towards the sand elves, in a slow pace rode a man with the familiar black banner with two white birds in flight. He was alone, his posture not agressive, and the caution on his part only grew as he neared the line where arrows could still fly.

Finally, Telenar thought to himself, having spotted the messenger. It appeared their efforts were finally yielding fruit.

Riding out to meet him, the high elf was flanked by the leader of this particular tribe of elves and his personal guard. Even with their superiority in numbers, Telenar kept one hand on his sword hilt, just in case.

"Greetings. Am I to take this as a declaration of surrender?"

• Yay
The brisk horse was anxious, stepping almost in a circle and still batting and the ground when it came to a full stop.
»There was an exchange in leadership. The New Mayor surrenders the town and requests that the banner of your war leader is added among the gate.«
Yet, after finishing his line. Something seemed off, the current in command sounded...familiar.

• Yay
Reactions: Infernal