Completed The sun falls on heavy shoulders

Looking at the figure, he recognized the voice. "White Swallow. I had a feeling you were still here. My apologies for how things have turned out. If it were in my hands, I'd make certain no one died in this conflict." He could only guess there had been casualties, as that was usually what brought those in charge good enough reason to change their minds.

"My offer for that drink still stands, if you still wish to take it. There's no need for hard feelings." In a way he did feel bad, but the pragmatist in him knew that this was the only way to bring about change. Sometimes people had to die, or else no one would listen to you.

• Yay
Reactions: White Swallow
The swallow eased up in pleasant surprise, his eyes shifting in an almost smitten way. »Ah, Telenar. A pleasant surprise. Apologies for not being able to rescue you in time.«

His horse retreated a little, turning towards Maraan. Briefly he gazed at the assembled sand elves, wondering just how many will accompany Telenar back and how many will occupy the town afterwards.
»You are invited to the star-speckled teal palace.«

• Yay
Reactions: Infernal
The elf shrugged. "Fate has many surprises for us. I have a feeling there are still surprises yet to be found." Nodding to the Sheik, commands were given, and the sand elves rushed to enter into the city.

"I will be remaining in Maraan for some time until I have received word from Gerra. If our paths cross again, I hope it's for more peaceful reasons. There's no pleasure in having to fight someone I respect." With that he started for the gates himself, already writing up the letter in his mind.

• Yay
The swallow nodded, riding slowly towards the main gate of Maraan that had a singular straight road towards the palace.
»Perhaps we will.«

The walls of Maraan were manned by fewer men than a week ago. Many appeared bored, others relaxed against the merlons. Some were tense and growing only tenser as the sand elves came in tow behind.

As they neared the gate, it was still closed...Unexpectedly the old Mayor was gone and a new one, younger one of mixed heritage came in his stead atop the gatehouse. »...« He was silent but looked as if his heart sunk into his pants. »We will add your banner to the gate of Maraan, we shall speak further at the teal palace.« With a wave with his arm the gate slowly began to open.

• Yay
They entered the town, Telenar commanding the other elves to distribute food and water to the townsfolk, to insure that the people know they had a benevolent side. During this, Telenar made his way to the Teal Palace, ready to converse with the leadership of this place. It was time they learned who their true master was.

"Milord! Milord!"

That voice, he remembered that voice. Looking over he saw him, the human who he had hired to drive the wagon containing his merchandise. It seemed like years since he had last seen him, and the days had not been good to him. "It's you. What happened when you arrived here?"

"Well everything seemed fine until you showed up here with all them other elves and that big fellow. Authorities seized the wagon, threw me in the dungeon for conspiring with ya! I tried to tell them I didn't know he would do this, but they didn't listen to me."

Another pang of guilt hit. "Take this." He said, handing him a small sack of gold coins. "Get passage out of here, and live your life as best you can. I am sorry for causing you trouble."

"Oh...oh thank you, milord, thank you so much." He bowed and then ran off. Hopefully he would never see the small man again in his life.

• Wonder
»The people don't need resources. At least not now.« The swallow muttered to Telenar, and the people didn't seem to want it.
Funny enough nobody was on the streets, and the few tradesmen that were still located on there quickly scuttled off to the houses.
A mother grabbed her child that wanted to inspect the sand elven horses, but was quickly dragged into the minor alleys.

The main road was the widest, only road wide enough to support this many people at any one time, and was just enough space to have the sand elves march through. Carts that usually were in the main street were now wedged into the smaller alleys as far up as they could, blocking them off.

The new mayor was quick to join them on his pinto horse. He apeared tired and spoke quietly. »We're letting this many in?«
»Nevermind, we have water for the horses at the pale foothills.«
»And what is your name?« He eventually asked Telenar as they neared the teal palace.
Some people already stood assembled at the yard and the doors were shut when the last of the elves were through.

• Yay
"Telenar." He said simply, not bothering with a surname. "Lord Gerra has his demands, as I'm sure you are aware, as well as the sand elves of this land. This town can flourish again, but only with my say so. Do you understand this?"

Gerra would have razed this place to the ground, it was by Telenar's command that it stay intact. All this can be reversed at any time, and they knew it. Such was the way of this unforgiving land, a way that perhaps with the hand as strong as Gerra's, it can come to order.

"Shall we retire to the palace?"

• Cheer
Snakes in the grass.

The mayor nodded in a defeatist manner. »My name is Jamal.«
He took out an ornate horn from under his robe, rotating it in his grip for a few good seconds. His face tensed up and his brows furrowed. Jamal stepped on the first few steps and turned towards the town, blowing with full force into the horn.

~*~​

The streets were void of defenders.
The carts were wedged in the bigger alleys.
The walls were manned with far too few men. Where were the rest?
And the gates were closed

White Swallow took the shield from his side and unsheathed his blade as quietly as a cat would step.
»Apologies, Telenar, but you shouldn't have gone with Gerra.«

The houses were just another set of walls.
A trap.

The missing soldiers stood upon the rooftops where they hid from the elves just minutes before. They pointed their arrows from there ad the window many window silts that lined the main road. even some merchants picked up rocks to pelt the sand elves from wherever they could.
Lastly appeared the Cataphracts in the alleys, denying passage, but they dared not enter the arrow volleys just yet. While some of them joined the Swallow side by side at the helm.

• Angry
"Hold!" He commanded, trying his best to keep the elves from bursting into a panic. The Sheik was cursing loudly, calling them bastards and betrayers. "Do not try and fight them, it will only get you killed!"

Fighting to keep his horse in control, his eyes were shooting daggers, first at the mayor, then at the White Swallow. "You would doom this entire place with your arrogance?! Gerra does not care how many people he must kill to obtain control, he will wipe this place out of existence if he must."

The elves dropped their weapons, surrendering for capture. Telenar did the same, then looked to the masked warrior with unabashed hatred. "You killed all these people, you and these other fools."

• Yay
The archers eased their bowstrings. Jamal furrowed his nose. »Maraan has not surrendered, even if you burn it to the ground, this place was built on the labour of the merchant people. Even you, the Abtati were welcome.« Jamal anounced to the tribe beaneath. »If maraan is razed to the ground, from it's ashes a new one grow, over and over again.«

The soldiers would begin to disarm the elves and the swallow quietly gazed at Telenar, sheathing his blade before leaving with his troop and joining up with Ibn Adil.
the two men would leave with their men.

Jamal coughed, giving The swallow a leer look as he departed. For this intervention he now has to pay the Sayyiduna a handsome tribute. And even that itched him badly, but not as much as having to annualy loose profit to pay to some warlord.
The town councilors never liked depending on others, and this was a long streak of independance broken. Maraan used to be considered safe.
»Well Telenar, you will be sent to your master, so much I can promise.«

• Yay
"So be it." Telenar stated sharply. "Just know that this is far from over."

Being merciful was the wrong way to go about this, this much he knew now. With tightened fists, he swore to make them pay for this embarrassment, especially the Swallow.

• Yay