Open Chronicles The Start of the Season

A roleplay open for anyone to join
Relief washed over him, and he let out that boyish laugh. "Aye, Redynne." The annual masquerade was one his family and the dwellers of Redynne enjoyed. The streets were filled with music, food, and drink, and dancing was encouraged all throughout the coastal city.

"The canals are always my favourite." He grinned, reminiscing the many times he went on the boats. "Sometimes, if you sit in the right boat, you get to watch young boys and girls try to cross the canal by jumping on passing boats. Most never make it."

Breyer gestured to an unmanned drinks table nearby, walking towards it and filling first a cup for the Lady. "I cannot wait to write to my sister and tell her I met the Lady Jiya. She has always said she wishes to be like you." He smiled. His brush with nobles were low, not at all understanding how one should act in their presence, but the Luanas were always seen to be family to those that hail from Vel Redynne. "Even my younger brother wishes to be a Knight in the service of the Luanas..." He poured himself a drink, wincing at how silly he sounded speaking of his younger siblings when the Lady clearly had better company to find.

"The Redynne Masquerade is due to happen in a few months. Not quite part of the social season, but... as you can remember, it is a night full of fun." He smiled, hoping to save himself from his own hopelessness.

Jiya Luana

Deciding that she had seen it all for that evening, it was time for Catherine to make her departure. Her chaperone did not look ready to leave, but when did Cat ever wait on anyone else to catch up with her?

Gathering the skirts of the ridiculously luxe gown afforded by her family, she began to make her way for the doors that would lead her towards her freedom and carriage home.

Perhaps the next ball she would be eager to learn names and talk to people.

• Spoon Cry
Reactions: Mariana
...only for her to walk smack into Maseno Luana as he smoothly rounded a corner and made his way in to the main ballroom. The young Initiate hardly moved - like walking into a giant oak tree - and raised his brows as he carefully reached to steady the young woman in turn.

"My deepest apologies, dear Lady," his voice boomed gently, "forgive my absence of mind. I was looking for someone."

His sister was here. Somewhere. She'd not been expecting him to show, but he alongside a select few other Initiates had been chosen to provide additional security for the event. Aelita was also here somewhere, but she was currently the least of his concerns.

"No harm done, I hope?"

He had given her a fright, her face expressing as much as he steadied her on her feet and Catherine could only think about shrinking and disappearing into her comfort of invisibility.

But this Guard, no Dreadlord, spoke with a surety that she realised she was not in trouble nor were they going to be rude to her.

"No, it appears not a hair out of place." Cat's voice was soft and demure, perhaps something coveted by the fine ladies milling about the ballroom and making pretty eyes at the royals in attendance. To her own ears, she was quiet and reserved in comparison to the deep voice spoken by the male.

"Were you looking for someone inside the ballroom? You might need to take a good look, there are many attendees." Overwhelming numbers. She had hoped that her cousin would have done his job and accompanied her about the room but he had quickly found a group of men and some spirits and left Cat to wander her first ball.

Maseno Luana

• Bless
Reactions: Maseno Luana
Jiya gave a courteous smile and followed him to the drinks table, pushing down the urge to look towards where the Captain had last stood.

"Yes, if memory serves my eldest brother attempted just such a crossing when he was ten. Our mother was furious when he turned up to your parents home soaking wet," a smile tinged with sadness briefly flicked across her face, but it was gone in a blink and replaced once more with the practiced, perfect smile. She took the offered glass of wine and took a modest sip. Only to wince when he confessed his sister wished to be more like her.

"I do not think many here would call me a good role model for noble ladies," there was a reason why so many of the women closed up when she passed to make her greetings. Jiya had chosen an education abroad rather than dances and balls like this one. She had snubbed their lives, she deserved their ire. "I had not realised it was already that time of year again. I am due another visit to my mother in Vel Vara... I will have to see if I can extend the trip to visit during the ball," this time her smile was a genuine one.

"So what brings you to the capital? I had not thought your parents interested in Capital life."

• Bless
Reactions: Breyer
Lady something of somewhere.. Lady whatever of wherever..

The young Ladies were introduced into the ballroom one by one, but the herald’s droning announcements faded into the background as Arryn’s attention locked onto Jiya, his gaze following her as she moved gracefully through the room, chatting and smiling with the other nobles. His brow furrowed as he noticed that brief glimmer of sadness in her expression—the kind that always surfaced when she spoke of happier times.

He wanted to smile at her, hoping she would reciprocate, that she would assure him that she would forgive his transgressions, but she wouldn’t look at him, and he knew she was doing it on purpose. Despite the ache in his chest, a brief spark of warmth flared inside him. If she was going to such lengths to avoid his gaze, it meant he was still very much on her mind, at least.

Catherine Urahil

"Good," he replied gently as she affirmed that no harm was done. Maseno withdrew his hands from her upper arms and quietly clasped them at his back. Though he'd not been assigned to very many missions or stations regarding nobles, he had found that many of them were rather wary of Dreadlords if they were not awed. She did not seem to be afraid at all, which was good, but with such a demure nature about her he'd hate to give the wrong impression.

He was here to protect people like her, after all.

"My sister, actually, perhaps you have seen her? The Lady Jiya Luana - I've not managed to catch sight of her yet and this is the last place I have come to look."

"I do not think many here would call me a good role model for noble ladies,"

Brey laughed, "It's a good thing we are not noble, the Dorfarens." He was grinning now, more comfortable than he had been all night. "Besides, Mum doesn't want any of us to rely on money or our history to Redynne. Even Dad encourages to do things so we are independent." They had hoped Brey would survive the Academy, but with his use of the Seals, he soon began to figure out how best to watch his back.
"So what brings you to the capital? I had not thought your parents interested in Capital life."

"Yeah, they're not fans. But my brother and I are at that age now..." And he grimaced. Surely the Lady Luana knew what he meant. He was to be seen at these events and hopefully take fancy to one of the ladies, marry her, and continue the line of Dorfarens of Vel Redynne. It was not something he considered going through, but his brother was more than eager to talk to the young ladies of Vel Anir. "We don't even need chaperones."

Jiya Luana

Pale brows furrowed. Jiya Luana?

Of course, within the first few moments of attending, she had clocked the faces of all the Great Houses in the room. It was important that she, a Urahil, knew who to talk to and who to avoid. Not only for her own gain, but it identified names to faces that she could keep tabs on and report to Felix should he ask of her anything she gleaned at these events.

"She is in the ballroom. Cannot miss her, she actually looks quite lovely tonight." Cat's lips quirked into a smile, one that looked like an amused smirk. "I can point her out if you would like... Maseno? Did I get that correct?" He looked the age and description Leander gave her when she quizzed him on his classmates after he had graduated. Odessa too. Getting information out of Perrine had proven difficult, but she always had been more alert and aware of people up to no good.

Cat was guilty of this, but she need not say a word.

Maseno Luana

• Bless
Reactions: Maseno Luana
After waiting for a little while, she figured she'd done too good a job hiding in the bushes. Picking another twig and leaf from her dark hair, she stepped into the open of the courtyard. A passing noble or two gave her a fleeting, curious glance.

"....was that Alistair Krixus' younger sister?" She caught the end of the sentence from a noblewoman with honey-blond hair wearing a bright red dress.

Wandering to a garden bench, she faced the east wall of the Palace. The windows above her were closed and she imagined much of the party were in the rooms closer to where she'd been in that bush. Taking out a set of drawing charcoals, she began to sketch a medium sized-door along the wall as a squirrel chittered at her from a nearby pear tree.

Last edited:
  • Bless
Reactions: Catherine Urahil
"Yes," Maseno smiled kindly to her, "you are correct."

It was difficult, standing as the oldest male heir to House Luana, without being recognized when at Court. Their family history and the loss of so many before him, father and brothers included, often placed a wary gaze upon him. There were whispers of a curse that affected the Luana men which he plainly chose to ignore.

Instead he focused on what he could do in the present to support his family, and in this specific moment it was to find his sister. Hearing the young woman speak so well of Jiya only broadened his smile, "That would be most helpful, thank you Miss...?"

Blond hair likely marked her as a Urahil, but Maz had always been of the notion to let people introduce themselves in the way they saw fit and making assumptions rarely ended well.

Catherine Urahil

"Catherine Urahil." She knew that he knew of her familial allegiance. How many times had she recognised that look since moving here to Vel Anir after growing up in Vel Lameus? It was her first time working with a reputation that preceded even her own expectations.

"I am a second cousin to the heir. My cousin serves as Proctor at the Academy, I believe you would know of her."

Perrine was a name she grew up hearing a lot. In a family that had wonderful ties to healing magic or practices, Perrine Urahil's deeds were sung throughout the family. Tall, slender, and beautifully blonde, working as an in demand Healer was seen as a great deal in their Great House.

"I thought you yourself would be attending this event, not working it." She noted as she moved to return to the doors she had slipped through moments before. "All the Great Houses seem to be accounted for, but the Luana guests are seen to be lacking tonight." A blonde brow raised as she looked back to the newly made Dreadlord.

"We don't even need chaperones."

Gods she was getting old. Jiya hid the grimace as she thought of the last memory she had of the young lad when he had barely come up to her hip and had run off on some adventure with her younger siblings by taking a sip of her wine.

"My brother is quite eager to find himself a wife too, perhaps it is the fashionable for men your age now. I couldn't think of anything more horrifying when I was of that age." She would prefer for Maz to take his time, to fall in love and not enter into some contract merely to carry on the family name but her brother was cut from a different cloth. One she adored but certainly struggled to understand in moments such as those.

As she drew with the charcoals, the outline drawing of a door along that palace wall suddenly turned into a very real door. Stashing her art supplies back into a pocket, the young Krixus took a breath and pushed open that door with charcoal-stained fingertips. Mariana then stepped through the wall and disappeared inside.

• Frog Eyes
Reactions: Catherine Urahil
Breyer gave an understanding, sheepish grin at that. "And let me guess, he's happy to oblige his duty?"

And he looked around, as if expecting the younger Luana to be present. "We didn't see each other much at the Academy, but I remembered all the girls fancying him. I am sure his search will be swift." And Brey was glad that someone else was getting that sort of attention, and it was never directed at him. Kress, he'd be horrible at courting anyone.

"Huh... I don't see him."

"Proctor Urahil," Maseno replied, expression brightening, "yes, of course I do." He'd only taken a few of her classes, but rather looked forward to them when he was offered the opportunity to attend. She was one of the few amiable Proctors at the Academy and he'd often wondered if that made her a bit ... lonely.

The young man's brows rose at her next words, "I am not yet graduated, actually, as I am presently working several missions beyond the purview of the Academy. Once they have concluded I will be awarded my Dreadlord ranking."

His smile persisted beyond that, "I am sure my sister's presence is more than enough for such an occasion. If you'll excuse me, Miss Urahil, I will leave you to the rest of your evening."

Cat smiled politely, stepping aside so that her new acquaintance could get past.

After a few moments, she followed him back into the room. Perhaps it would be worthwhile to remain at the party...

She took a look around, frowning at how... well, boring this ball seemed. Catherine expected there to be more fanfare given that this was put on by the royal family. There was no need to use her magic and turn invisible. It seemed no one looked her way, and the Urahil young lady preferred it that way.

Another hour, she promised herself, and then she would make preparations to return home.

• Blank
Reactions: Jiya Luana
"No," Jiya smiled faintly. "He seems more than keen. Actually, I believe he is working the ev... Oh, there he is," Maz had just stepped properly into the room, speaking to a young woman of course. Breyer was right. They seemed to flock to her brother like moths to a flame and at times she was not sure he really noticed. She shook her head to herself.

"Maz!" she raised her hand to catch her brothers attention.

Last edited:
Being tall did have its advantages. Striding slowly through the throngs of people, Maseno stood above a good many and was afforded a view that thankfully allowed him to spy the waving hand of his sister off to the far left. Her call had garnered the looks from several nearby - bringing a thin smirk to his face as he made way in that direction.

Jiya would always been a Lady in his mind, but he knew well enough she rather broke the mold when it came to Anirian Nobility.

"Jiya," his voice rumbled in a quiet greeting as she finally came into view and next into reach. The desire to pull her into a tight embrace and spin her about was strong considering how rarely they got to see one another, but he'd not make her look a fool in front of her courtly peers.

"I was hoping to find you-" and his gaze then shifted to the young Dreadlord she'd been conversing with - not one listed as Event security.

"Dorfaren, good to see you outside the Academy. Keeping the Lady Luana company are you?"

• Bless
Reactions: Breyer
Breyer smiled widely.

Maseno was always one that Breyer could get along with, and his friendly manner made it easy to chat with him despite their brief acquaintance at the Academy.

"One year free of it, doesn't feel like much has changed." He hadn't been able to go home since his appointment as Dreadlord, employed in Vel Anir to keep things safe and running with his Seals to bolster runeworks. "Your sister and I were talking about the masquerade my hometown is famous for."

Breyer had planned to return home at the turning of fall to participate in this year's celebration. "I cannot wait for the cooler change in weather. This summer has been much too dry for my liking."