Private Tales The Shadows of Our Past

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Gerra

The Emperor
Character Biography
Link
"Sparhawk?"

Gerra wandered through the palace of Ragash until he found Sparhawk in the Room of the Golden Pond. The undisturbed waters of the pond reflected the light of the gilded walls, casting shimmers of gold upon the entire room.

"There you are. There's something I need to show you."

Behind Gerra stood Archlector Snaaib in a white robe, features kind, calm, and impassive.

You, Maho Sparhawk, are on your way to greatness. Only through me can you achieve a power greater than any Sorcerer.

I will make you Invincible.

Sparhawk meditated by the Golden Pond. It still baffled him how one man can have so much power, that - not long ago - was belonging to someone else. The life of a conquerer was, evidently, one of luxury.

He thought it was curious that Imamu still called him Sparhawk. Was he who he was? Clearly not. Jerik. Ironic he would use his old Master's name - his middle name - to have as his alias. He's not sure he'd be proud of him if he saw what he had become. Then again, they were working towards a new social order. An empire of peace and prosperity.

Right?

"There you are. There's something I need to show you."

He stood up, his mask pressed firmly on his face.

"Lead on." He did not ask questions. He did.

Inwardly, Gerra felt his heart lurch at the sight of Maho Sparhawk, now simply Jerik. Whatever was left of his old friend was entombed behind that mask.

Must I do this? Must I crush whatever is left of the man I knew?

How could he let that hopeful wizard perish, by his own hand no less. But then he remembered what Maho had said to him as he lay with his boiled flesh upon the bed. A monster. A madman. Maho would never understand him unless he learned the truth of his own past.

Several other people occupied the Room of the Golden Pond. Gerra turned to them, irritable.

"Leave us."

Their eyes widened and they left hurriedly, leaving the Emperor and his two advisors alone. Gerra closed his eyes briefly, let out a long sigh through the nose, then turned back to Maho.

"You told me you had a wife and child once. Do you remember? It feels like forever ago now, but I recall it well. I have... searched for them. For you. I had hoped to find them, but-" Gerra stopped, pursed his lips, shook his head. As if he could not bring himself to utter the words. "There's something you must see. Archlector, if you would."

Snaaib bowed his head, placed his palms together, and began to chant softly.

The temperature dropped rapidly, sending gooseflesh across Gerra's skin. His breath came out in a fog. Then the air began to shimmer and distort, until a ghostly figure appeared before them.

Last edited:
As he stood in that room, accompanied only by Gerra and the Priest, he began to become nervous with what was to come. Very rarely were discussions relegated to only three, and in the company of the King, that meant much. Sparhawk perhaps thought it was a battle plan, or some way of implementing more Sorcery into the Palace's defenses. But to have the Lector-Priest there as well? Something seemed off.

"You told me you had a wife and child once. Do you remember? It feels like forever ago now, but I recall it well. I have... searched for them. For you.

Alina...

He had not thought about her in lucid mind for many, many years. Not since...

Not since she disappeared. Without a trace. The home he'd built burnt asunder.

He's found them. After all these years. M-

My family...

I had hoped to find them, but-"

Hoped to find them...

H o p e d t o f i n d t h e m

The words rang inside Sparhawk's head like the clashing of steel in a duelling hall. He could feel his insides wretch when he uttered those terrible, terrible words. But if he hadn't found them, what more was there to speak of? He had made peace, or had tried to, with their disappearance. Why would it be necessary to disturb him from his meditation? What was so important a finding?

On Gerra's command, the Lector began chanting low. The room fell into a cold, fog forming around their feet.

Until, in the midst of the fog, a formation arose.

A familiar formation.

"Alina... please. I will straighten this out- I swear it."

"But... I'm scared Maho..."

They embraced, like they often did. Her auburn hair, long and curly, hanging around her shoulders. He remembered it being so soft against his skin, like a fine material shipped from a distant land. Her skin was olive and freckled, her eyes a shining shade of brown. He remembered those long nights they'd spend together, the boy's nightmares keeping him awake. He look upon her for hours as she slept, considering himself so lucky for finding someone like her.

"I'll be back in a half-week. Everything is going to be fine, I promise." He comforted her, running his fingers through her thick hair.

"I love you..."

"I won't be long."

"I love you."

His body's numbness faded, as his muscles lost any ounce of strength. He fell to his knees, as he outpoured any and all emotion he had left; he could feel his tears dripping onto the face of his mask, falling down it's surface from his eye-slit, and pooling on the ground. He prostrated himself onto the floor, his hands covering his head, like a babe looking for any sort of comfort. He wailed loudly, struggling to through his tears and anguish. He could feel his throat close up as he screamed in mourning.

In that instance, he could feel his heart - no - his very soul tear itself apart. The hope that had send him on this journey, the nights he'd spent sleepless, thrust forward only by his compassion for his long-gone family, melted away like a drop in a waterfall.

He curled up on the cold floor, offered no relief from his relentless sadness, the figure still standing above him.

"What is this?" The figure looked about the room, unsure of where she - or it - was.

"Who are you?"

Who are you?

Who are you?

He could feel his heart stop. And yet, somehow, his body would not die. He felt his chest compress, and his mind wander, but he knew that, deep inside himself, something died.

He simply lay on the floor, writhing in his own silent agony, made quiet by her statement.

The screams of his once-friend tore at Gerra’s soul, but he hardened his heart and shut out the suffering.

“Alina,” he uttered familiarly, like they had spoken before, his tone rich and placid, unmoved by the wailing of a broken man. “This... is your husband.”

The ghost turned toward the crumpled form.

“Maho? Maho? My love, what has happened to you”

Tears rolled down her ethereal cheeks and she stretched out a translucent hand.

“Maho please, is that you?”

Only sobbing came forth from that mask.

“Alina,” Gerra said gently, “he did not know.”

“You mean-“ the ghost looked between the huddled figure and Gerra, eyes wide. “All this time?”

Her lips quivered. The room grew even colder. Frost began to form on the pond. Gerra shivered.

“You thought I was still alive? And you didn’t- didn’t look for me?” Sobbing choked off her words, but then she struggled on through a veil of glittering tears, her words biting. “I begged you not to go. I begged you, Maho. But you left me. Left us. You weren’t there when they came. When they took me and they- they-“

A dark red stain began to spread across the front of the ghost’s dress, which grew tattered and torn, as if ripped by many hands.

You left us,” she screamed and the force of it was like an icy gale, whipping at Gerra’s clothes.

“WHERE WERE YOU?”

What happened to you?

You didn't look for me?

I begged you.

You left me.

Left us.

Where were you?

Where was I?

Sparhawk felt, within those eyes that glared him down with disbelief, stuck with shock and anger, that - deep in the running reservoir of his soul - something had been locked away forever. No longer with anything to lose, and feeling as if he had nothing left to gain; the tears that struck the floor with their sorrow became his soul, forever to wash down the tiled grooves. Lost in time.

The shaded river of blood that dropped from her ghostly figure did not strike him, for he knew he would never be struck again, in the deep.

But he knew what he had to do.

And he knew what he had to say.

He arose. His feet finding footing once more, his sleeve wiping away the tears that smeared his golden visage. He felt his arms fill with forward motion, his body seeming to swell with directionless, ceaseless rage. He stared her down, seeing her torn, tortured figure; a terrible, sorry sight of what she once was, that touch of beauty still traceable underneath her pain-stormed face.

"Who?"
His voice seemed to erupt-calmly, like the wind before a monsoon, or the cloud before the storm. If this world were to be cleansed of the evils wrought by it's own corrupt infrastructure - a world that allowed an atrocity to pass such as thing, there would be no reasoning. There would be only death.

• Dab
  • Cry
Reactions: TTamark and Gerra
Gerra watched, shocked, as the last of the man he had known as Maho Sparhawk slipped away.

"Enough," he said to Snaaib.

The Archlector bowed his head and muttered another incantation.

Alina faded out of existence, her fingers stretching out toward Sparhawk, reaching. Then she was gone.

For once, Gerra found himself at a loss for words staring at this masked... thing. This weapon he had created from the remains of his former friend.

"What will you do now?"

His eyes did not divert, even for a split second.​

Hers were locked onto his, those foggy eyes piercing not even his soul now. She reached out towards him, as if she was trying to save him from himself. But even she must of knew it was too late for that now. Far too late.

Then, like her hope, she faded away at Gerra's command, the Priest muttering under his breath, her form falling into the floor below, returning from wherever she was taken.

Sparhawk didn't know how to feel. He wasn't sure he had the capacity to feel. All he had was a seething, inexplicable fire lying deep inside his heart; the embers of which he knew would never be put out forever. But he had to direct that fury somewhere, onto someone.

"What will you do now?"

Jerik kept staring in the same direction from where Alina once stood, the room lighter now, the fog gone, the question ringing in his head.

"Who did this to her... who did this to My Alina." He said, coldly, a hint of heat within his final words.

• Dab
  • Cry
Reactions: TTamark and Gerra
Watch the silent fire,
Watch me scorch my battered heart,
Ashes cannot burn.

- Robert Van Lingen

Orcs.

Them. Of course.

Throughout his life, Sparhawk had never had the best luck with orcs. First, the village in the spine, having to fight off a small tribe of them, eventually running away. And of course the entire business with Gerra in Molthal, surrounded by them. But to think they'd do something so barbaric, so base, puzzled him. Why wouldn't they have just killed her?

It wasn't as if she was useful to them.

He knew of an Orc settlement, not far from there. They'd been attacked many times before, but all of them had been in vain, their warrior culture serving them well in the desert. Rumours were told of how they hung the bodies of their enemies outside their walls to ward off intruders, and to challenge rival tribes. Unlike the tribes of the spine however, they almost exclusively used weapons of war, like swords, axes and blunt weaponry, without an experienced Sorcerer or Shaman in sight. That would be their downfall.

Jerik turned towards the door, and walked out without saying a word.

With each step he took towards the stable on the lower level of the Palace, the more he felt unburdened by seeing Alina. For years he held onto the hope of her life, and the hope that he could save others. But now, he had finally come to realise that, for him to truly shape the fate of the world, he must kill his old self. The Sparhawk that cared for her life, sought to teach others, looked to further the exploits of the College of Elbion, was no more.

If all he could do was destroy, he would seek to master the art of death.

He would be the man who scorched the sky,

When Sparhawk had arrived at the outskirts of the village, it was already night, the cold, sandy-breeze low in the air. The only light provided was the camp setup by the Orcs, and the smoke that rose in the sky. Awake, were the tribe's strongest men, women and warriors, resting during the day, and active during the night, always wary of a raid or rival orc tribe wishing to claim their territory. The younger children and mothers slept peacefully during the night, protected.

The light was bright on the sands, the sillouhete of the soldiers shadowing onto the loose ground they stood on. They stood in a powerful ring around their campfire, guarding the entrance way to their families, their loved ones. That which they sought to protect.

And, it seemed, the rumours were true; as Jerik glanced at the outer wall of the village, bodies were strung up, or even nailed, to the various walls and entrapments. He imagined it would work wondefully for most mercenary bands of warrior groups, but - unfortunately for them

nothing would deter him now.

As he approached closer and closer, his horse left behind him now, he could see more and more of the village, until, eventually, they noticed him. One of the largest in the group, most likely the fiercest warrior by combat, noticed him first and stood up fast, axe in hand.

"Nalkriuk ayh lat? Ukavaausan kurrauz!"
Who are you? Stay back!

Jerik kept walking forward. The warrior shouted something to the others, and the 70 or so warriors all stood up, weapons in hand, all giving fierce looks towards him.

As he raised his hand, he hesitated.

But-

No. This is who I am now. No more second chances.

"Do'tahshi Rekni Tou Fimen." He murmered.

All of the orcs stopped in place, still, like an army of statues. They all began to twitch, their hands reaching for their heads, dropping their weapons. The largest dropped to his knees, groaning terribly, as did the rest of them. They rocked from side to side, some of them even scrapping their heads against the floor, looking for some kind of relief.

Jerik kept walking forward, until he was only a step or two away from the largest.

"K-Ki-Kj-" The Orc warrior tried to utter some words, but simply couldn't string anything together.

Jerik lowered his head to stare him down. As he did, the Orc began to violently scream, showing his sharp teeth, so vulnerable. His hands clasped his skull, shaking it furiously, as if something inside was trying to escape. Trickles of blood began to fall down from where the Orc's eyes were. His screams became louder and louder, as he looked for comfort in Jerik's eyes. But he would find none, as with his final, ear-shattering scream, his head burst savagely, many of the pieces landing straight onto Jerik's robes and mask. All that was left was an empty shell of a head on fire, and a limp, lifeless body.

The other Orc warriors, seeing their demise, all quickly turned to one another. Jerik wasn't sure why. Looking for solace? Looking for help? It didn't matter, as all of them soon met the same fate as their Warrior leader, the camp-fire soon seeming insignificant when compared to the fiery carcasses created by Jerik's hand.

Heating from the inside-outward was deemed a technique to foul to contemplate by most Pyromancers, and was deemed one of the only banned elemental techniques, along with oxygen suffocation. But Jerik didn't have to listen to the rules anymore. He was unhinged.

He was invincible.

As the noise of the screaming soon reached the ears of those who slept, all they found when they left the safety of their simple houses and tents, was the masked man standing at their gates, covered in the blood of their protectors. They stood, fear behind their stone-cold faces, many of the children ran to join their mothers and parents, looking for comfort. Looking for something.

Under Jerik's mask hid a sick smile. This wasn't like burning down the Templar watch-tower. This wasn't like Belgrath. This wasn't Imamu. This wasn't Sparhawk.

This was Jerik.

He felt the fire within him rise, and in a split second, all that was heard were the screams of the damned, and the crackle and spit of a hot inferno.

The rest was simply a blur. He wasn't focussing on the minute details, as he was on showing them what they had done. This wasn't Jerik's fault. Their actions led to their demise. And now, all that was left of their small culture, of the legacy that they were going to pass onto their children, was a village in ashes, and an orange sky. With each life he took, with each Orc the fire claimed, he could feel himself becoming stronger. He could feel himself becoming more confident in his abilities. He wondered why he hadn't done this sooner. Far sooner.

Jerik stood by his horse, looking at what he had done. What he had accomplished. This was Elbion's fault. If they hadn't betrayed him, all those lives could have been spared. All this blood on their hands. In his hands, was the amulet of their leader, inscribed with 'Telau-del'Tikak.'. Their village, named after it's founding leader. His prize. He thought of even taking a woman along with him, but he had no use for one. Unlike how they had a use for Alina.

As he rode back into Annuakat, he got more than a few looks, still smattered with dried blood, and shards of... this and that. Walking into the Palace, no one stopped him. Even the guards gave an inch of fear as he passed them by. He sat down by the Golden Pond again, meditating where he once was, waiting for no one. Waiting for nothing.

His job complete. For now.