Dreadlords The Long Road

Threads open to all members of the Dreadlords group

Erodin

The Breaker of Will
Character Biography
Link
Irick - Outer Aniria
Amelie Livia Quinnick

"Really? This shit hole?" Erodin said as the sky-ray slowly circled over the small town of Tren. "It looks like it barely houses a hundred people, much less someone who can lead us to what we seek."

He couldn't help the small flicker of frustration that bent through his tone as the wraith beneath them slowly flapped it's wings and began to descend towards the ground. A few of the villagers already coming out to gawk even as the sun was beginning to set. Most Anirian citizens hardly being used to seeing such creatures within their skies, whether they be ghostly or still made of flesh.

Their journey here had not been long, just half a day after their departure from Tolven.

Amelie and Erodin had been quick to establish a path for the girl, or rather, a way for her to find the path for them. It had not taken long for the Initiate to divulge that leading them to the staff would be impossible, which was where of course, Erodin's frustration had begun. Both of them had expected roadblocks of some sort, but in truth he'd wanted it to at least be something that he could kill.

His beloved had of course been quick to soothe him, the whispers in his mind quickly reminding him of their whole plan. It did not matter that their path forward was obstructed, they were still ahead of Gilram, and with the girl it would be easy enough to find out exactly what road they needed to follow in order to find the staff. "Ah, but who am I to doubt you."

Erodin remarked, his frustration melting away as the sky-ray finally came to ground. Amusement flickering over his features as he remembered their other goal upon this path.

"You're the one holding the proverbial compass, after all." Erodin mused, whispering in Amelie's mind half a second later. I swear I'm getting too old to be nice.

He joked to his beloved, stepping down along the sky-ray's great wing and offering his hand to Amelie so that she could hop down with little to no effort.

Amelie took Erodin's hand as she descended from the sky-ray and grasped it tightly. Kindness may serve us well here, love." A broad smile overtook her as she stared into his eyes. At least you're aging wonderfully."

He had been in a foul mood for some time now despite her best efforts to ease his anxiety. Although, to his credit, Tren really was a backwater.

Citizens opened their fat, ignorant, mouths to gape at the Dreadlords and their initiate who'd ridden in on a ghastly sky-ray. This was probably the most momentous event that had ever happened in this small town. A meeting that grandparents would tell their descendants about.

"Perhaps," Amelie stated while glancing directly at Livia, "our compass is hungry."

They'd been traveling for half a day now, after all. "Sandwiches." It was a single word spoken to a woman standing in her door frame in the quaint little home nearest where they'd landed. Amelie didn't need to use her magic to force the townswoman, the simple command was more than enough.

Strands of short black hair rippled as her neck twisted and took Initiate Quinnick in again. "Livia, is that how you prefer us to call you?" Her hand fully melded with her husband's the mindbender gave a genuinely warm look to the child. "Or is there some other name you prefer?"

Poison the well, sow doubt, this one could be of use to us even after this assignment.
Her words spoken softly, soothingly, into her husband's mind. They'd need allies once they commanded a duchy. Particularly those with talents as useful as the Quinnick girl.

• Melting
Reactions: Erodin
Livia followed the older Dreadlords without a word, her frustrations at being unable to get a direct pinpoint of location of what they seek already voiced much earlier in their journey here. She tucked it away, that nagging doubt, and cast olive eyes around the small town. Silver hair fell into her face, and she brushed it aside, watching as a woman scurried back into her home to prepare sandwiches. In all her quiet stewing, she had ignored the hungered rumblings of her stomach.

Her eyes widened as Amelie put focus upon her, asking Livia on how she wished to be known as.
"Livia, Liv... I am not too picky." She answered. Seeing the warmth in Amelie allowed her to relax her shoulders, for she had been tense for the past couple of hours trying to figure why her magic brought them here to some non-descript town.

"Someone here is of use to us. I am as surprised as you are." Liv looked to Erodin, who had moments before voiced incredulity at their arrival here. "Notice how everyone else is now nervous? I am sure you both are intimidating... but there is something more to it." She was in her Initiate uniform, sigils telling them she was a year from graduation. Depending on how long they were going to be on the road, she might even miss end of year examinations. Being away from the Academy... from her friends who no longer wished to speak with her... Silas.... they would not know she would not be returning to classes the next day, or the day after that.

"Shall I track them? Find who it is? Or should we play guest for ten minutes beforehand?" The way she spoke was akin to how she would regard the superiors she would work with on a mission, waiting for the order to come from the Dreadlord in command. Livia was not too sure which of the Rogues was taking point, her own magic flicking between the two as if they were the same mind.

• Frog Sip
  • Frog Cute
Reactions: Amelie and Erodin
A small smile touched Erodin's lips at Amelie's whisper within his mind, though as she began to play the game his attentions turned to the village around them.

As Livia pointed out the weariness of the villagers, the Dreadlord listed half a dozen reasons in his mind as to why; though ultimately he knew the girl was right. These people were scared, but there was something laying beneath the surface. It would have been a simple thing for Amelie to dig it from their thoughts, but he had another idea.

"No no, I think it best you simply show me where the compass is pointing you towards." He told Liv as his gaze flickered back towards the Initiate.

"The day has been a long one." He explained quite casually. Knowing the girl had traveled from the Academy to Tolven, and then spent time on the back of the Sky-Ray. The sincerity in his tone almost reaching truth as he offered Livia a smile. His attention lasting only a moment before he turned his gaze to Amelie. "I think it best the two of you find a place for us to rest, and perhaps seek out some new clothing for our ward?"

Erodin said, gesturing at the girl's uniform and looking at her. "I know the Republic is pinching pennies, but they could at least try to give you something decent to wear."

In their age the Initiates, at least those of any worth, were often spoiled by the Houses trying to recruit them. Erodin and Amelie had been lauded by House Virak, spoiled some Proctor's had called them, but both Dreadlord's simply had always known what they deserved.

Liv would too.

"I can ensure the needle turns in the meantime." The Dreadlord said, with a smile.

"Well then, Liv it is I suppose," she answered with a sly grin.

Not long after Erodin had spoken his piece the woman and her daughter rushed from their home, offering three sandwiches to the Dreadlord and the academy initiate. Amelie took the one given to her and munched on it. Terrible compared to the fine dining they'd been accustomed to pre-revolution but she wasn't about to complain about a meal in a town she'd never heard of before.

In between bites she spoke, "yes, we'll get you into something appropriate." Her gaze moved back towards the woman who'd prepared the trio the food, "where is Tren's outfitter?"

"M-madame Dreadlord, we are a small village. We just have the general store," she pointed in a direction towards the east. Amelie retrieved a small copper from her pouch and handed it to the townswoman.

"We won't be long," she offered her husband a kiss upon hi cheek before releasing his hand.

As soon as Livia told Erodin where her magic wanted to guide her Amelie would direct their charge in the direction of this general store. "Hopefully this town has something decent for you," she offered while looking Initiate Quinnick up-and-down, "I'm thinking something practical, but elegant. Maybe something green? Or yellow? We won't know your color until we've had you try a few things on."

They'd have to find an inn a well, but, clothes came first.

Perhaps she ought to not look too eager to be out of the standard uniform provided by the Academy. Livia doubted anything would be deemed with a special tailored cut in this sort of town, but to be in fighting leathers for such a long time?

"Thank the gods you did not suggest blue, like my mother would insist on representing the house colours." She mused with Amelie. Quinnicks and their traditions, a sense of loyalty meant acknowledging the Quinnick cornflower blue and pearl white that adorns their family crest. Even her name and her brothers meant blue or white. "Although... I am unsure what my colours are since my hair became silver." Not even a month since she had delved to the deepest, cavernous depths of her secondary magic.

Liv bit into her sandwich, a little underwhelmed by the simple honey spread.

"That house over there. Curtains are drawn, but I can sense two people watching from the windows. There are five people in the residence..." Livia turned her back to the dwelling in question. "I can impart a sort of pin point in others... My magic knows the reason we are here." She held her hand out to Erodin, brushing it free of bread crumbs before hand. When he would place his over her own, the Initiate would share the pull and tether feeling her magic gave her, the instinct and intention of where to go would guide him to the very person her magic wanted them to find.

"If they run, they would not be able to run for too long. Provided you are a fast runner." Livia chanced using the light humour. She did not tell the Dreadlord that she enjoyed the chase; the fact her magic told her how close she was to finding someone. It gave a satisfaction and high, to the point her brothers had called her a bloodhound in the years before magic did not make her into a murderer.

• Smug
  • Aww
Erodin glanced towards the building Livia pointed at, listening to every word she spoke. "Oh. They never have a chance to run."

He said, flashing the girl a brief smile but never elaborating upon the words as he turned back towards his beloved.

"We'll go to a town with a proper tailor next." He assured his beloved. "This heap can hardly be expected to have what we need."

A long breath dragged into his lungs as he rolled his shoulders, fingers drawing idly over the hilt of his long-sword as he began to step away from the two women. Stalling for just half a breath as he glanced back, his eyes leveling towards Amelie. Keep her away.

He whispered into his beloveds mind.

She won't be ready to see yet. The Republic was too soft for that, Erodin knew. These children hardly understood, and he would knew it would take time before Livia was ready for the reality of what it meant to be better.

With one last smile, the Dreadlord began to stalk forward towards the building the Initiate had pointed him towards. His eyes flashed a deep dark blue as he moved forward, apparently not caring about the two watchers in the window. Hand settling on the hilt of his sword as he moved directly towards the structure, his pace an unmistakable warpath.

I'll make sure we're far enough away. It was unfortunate that her husband would be having most of the fun on this first excursion but sacrifices had to be made. Besides, there'd likely be plenty of fun to be had before this mission was completed.

Amelie walked with Liv in tow towards the town's primary hub for shopping, a simple enough building hardly large or elegant enough from its exterior to provide clothing worthy of a Dreadlord but it'd have to make due. "Since your hair became silver?"

It was a curious statement and while it was somewhat obvious that Livia's hair wasn't natural she'd just assumed the initiate had styled it in some new academy fashion.

Regardless of how the Dreadlord-in-waiting answered once they arrived at the storefront Amelie pulled the door open. Its hinges creaked with a disappointing groan as she tried to ignore the clearly peeling wood.

"Welcome, welcome!" they were greeted almost instantly by what Amelie imagined must've been the oldest woman who had ever lived. She rushed over to greet the two entrants, her wrinkled hands clasped together while her mouth curled upwards in a surprisingly warm grin. "What can I do you ladies for," she blanched as she noticed the faded Dreadlord patch on Amelie's clothing, "my, my! It is such an honor to have valiant defenders of Vel Anir here! In my store!"

"We are in need of proper attire for my companion," Amelie answered with as cheery of a voice as she could muster whilst gesturing towards Livia Quinnick.

"Yes my lady," the shopkeep answered before zeroing in on Livia. The kind elderly woman took a few laps around the initiate, taking her in and nodding. "Let me fetch a few things from the wardrobe."

"Well, my hair used to be dark brown." She started, following Amelie into the shop. The young noble could not help but cast a doubting look at the sign hanging above the door, an expression still worn once she stepped inside the underwhelming interiors. Livia did not offer any word as the old crone assured them there was something they were looking for.

Once she was out of earshot, or perhaps a respectable distance away that Livia felt free to whisper and turn to Amelie, her dark brows furrowed deeply.
"Did she say from the wardrobe?" It was rather unfortunate that outside any uniform the Academy insisted they don, Livia's privilege of pretty dresses and skilled tailors being family friends kept her somewhat humble. Even her magic gave her no indication that anything she would like to wear was nowhere near this town, only somewhere north-west from this quaint town.

Livia sighed deeply, turning her attention to the other basic wares of this store. She lifted a small punnet of strawberries, giving the berries a poke and grimacing at the not yet ripe flesh.
"My admittance to the Academy began after my father had forced stolen magic on me. He had a goal that our small, minor noble House would reach to the might of the Great Houses on power alone, and that I was his only offspring strong enough with our House magic to wield what he had stolen." Livia glanced at Amelie before continuing. "Many of the Proctors failed in yielding results in our training, but then an Archon took on the challenge. Explained a magic not born to us takes a lot more to control. Then I became under the mentorship of a Dreadlord... who told me to let it all go and let it consume me. I was too scared to use it, to feel how intense that power could be." She did not think to mention names, knowing that Zana's was too close to the situation and leaving Henk's name unsaid was her way of keeping him out of this too.

The Initiate had wandered now towards a glass display cabinet, a hand lifting to the braid that was now becoming undone from the flight here.
"When I first received the corruption magic, at least this third of my hair was this colour, the rest brown. As soon as I felt the bottom of my magic reserves for corruption, it consumed me and turned my hair all silver. Now that I have somewhat control over this secondary magic... some of the Proctors have shown interest in me again. They want to train me further..." But none have taken her own just yet. They had hoped to see her make an example of it before they considered taking her on seriously.

"Gods, did she die back there?" Livia tried to crane her neck and see where this wardrobe was.

• Devil
  • Bless
"P-plea-please me-me Lord...p-please. I-I-he's he's my son, I c-ca-can't..." What had once been the inside of a pleasant, if not a tad bare, peasant farmstead now looked like the back of a butchers shop.

Blood splattered the walls, scraps of meat lay scattered upon the floor, and the scent of copper filled the air. One man stood, though half pinned by the dagger in his shoulder, against the far wall. Erodin wiping the blood off his long-sword using the house's heavy cotton curtains.

"I told you." The Dreadlord said as Livia would begin to feel the needle shift. "I won't hurt him, as long as you tell me his name, and as long as he cooperates."

The man stuttered, tears spilling down his face. "H-his name is Oryn. He-he said he was going to the Isles, to the s-south. P-please. He did-didn't know better! It was just some map! He dug it up by accident, it came out of that damned tu-"

"Shh-shhh." Erodin said as he turned about, his eyes flaring a ghostly pale blue. "I don't care."

A wraith began to appear besides the man. "If you wanted him to be safe though, you should have taken the map from him."

The Dreadlord said with a gesture, the man choking out a response as blood spilled from his cut throat. Erodin shaking his head, already having realized that the map was what was leading Livia's magic awry. The thing was likely enchanted, and it would block anything directly trying to find it. Right now her compass would slip to whoever they know would last carry it.

Perfect.

An annoying lead, but a lead nonetheless.

Closing the door behind him, and using a handkerchief to wipe some of the blood from his armor, Erodin began to make his way back towards Amelie. The constant pull of her mind guiding him back towards her side.

"She did mention something about a wardrobe," Amelie confessed whilst crossing her arms. This town truly was dreadful.

Her interest was piqued as Livia explained the source of her hair color and the challenges she faced. "Magic shifting your physical appearance isn't unheard of it," although she didn't feel the need to bring up that such forms of magic were often quite powerful, "I hope the academy is providing adequate training."

Amelie and Erodin had been absent during the revolution. Off on an assignment far away from the capitol. By the time news had reached them that a revolution had occurred they'd already learned that they were no longer assets of House Virak. They now belonged to the state and their pampered suites in the Virak manor would be replaced by Guard tents. Their chances of pivoting their martial successes to future political influence seemed dicey at best.

"I am not as up-to-date on how the academy is run as I once was," she joined Livia in poking through the trinkets and food items the store had out on display. Rummaging a finger through handkerchiefs that had been assembled on a small oak table.

"However," she turned to look at the initiate, "upon graduation we can send a summons. A request to help you develop your talents." Corruption magic had the potential to be very, very, useful.

"Pardon the delay dearies," the old woman remarked as she re-entered the main area of the store.

Lowering her voice to a quiet whisper Amelie leaned over towards Livia, "not dead yet."

The shopkeep laid a gaudy fur coak, a red cloak, a few patchwork dresses, and some somewhat passable leather armor upon the empty space in the center table of the store. "Had these in storage, I keep all of my nicest things in an armoire passed down from my mother's family." She wore the biggest, most genuine, smile that Amelie had ever behold.

Livia had spared Amelie a glance after she mentioned a summons, an offer to help her work on her magic. It took almost four years at the Academy for her to figure out her magic, by the help of two individuals outside the Academy. She knew there was no real hope of a Proctor taking her on, and so the thought of two First Level Dreadlords giving her a hand at learning to control and execute corruption was favourable.

They were interrupted by the older lady returning, laying out the pieces she 'had in mind' for Livia. The Initiate stifled a snort hearing Amelie whisper the lady was still kicking, and upon seeing the choices laid before her, had to keep a neutral expression.

"The red cloak is nice." She began. The leather armour was at least near new, but looked a little bigger than Livia thought would fit on her, but they were much better than the dresses she would not be caught in. Her Initiate's fighting leathers were plain, standard. Quinnick had only chosen to wear this uniform because she was under the orders they were headed to a negotiation, and if a fight where to break out, she would not be in the front lines.

"I guess I will give these a go." She said, bundling the leather armour and draping them over an arm.

Hopefully the gods take us to a larger city with proper seamstresses and tailors. She thought to herself, following the old crone to a small supply closet where she could try on the armour. Minutes later, she stepped out, walking towards the mirror the crone pointed out earlier. Livia frowned. It did look larger before, but it fit her nicely. It seemed perhaps she put on some muscle, something that surprised her when she had not been exerting herself with physical training. Perhaps something her magic gave her...

"Well, it is not awful." Livia sighed, rolling and lifting her arms to test. All perfect. She picked up her old uniform, and the old lady smiled at her.

"Here, a nice satchel to keep them in. Did you want to try the cloak and see how it looks on you?"

• Devil
  • Aww
They would have to burn the town in the morning.

Amelie would have to compel some of the villagers to start the blaze. The girl wasn't yet ready for such harsh measures. The truth of what it took to become a Dreadlord would come later for her, but they needed to be sure not to leave a trail.

Irick would have to go up in a blaze, and the slaughter he had left behind needed to be little less than cinders. Erodin reminded himself to talk to Amelie about it later, offering a pleasant smile to a woman that he walked by in the market. "Excuse me."

The now reinstated Dreadlord offered the woman.

"Would you happen to have seen my wife? There was a girl with her..." As he spoke the woman nodded and eagerly pointed his way. "Ah, thank you madame."

He offered with a nod, thinking it a shame the peasant would lose her home tomorrow. She should feel something new.

Erodin whispered into Amelie's mind as soon as he approached the store, knowing that she would now be able to hear his thoughts.

If she doesn't, i know where to go. He told her. But I want to see how well our compass points.

The Dreadlord said, leaning against the wall as he waited for the two women to come out of the store.

Amelie forced a smile at Livia's glance, simple kindnesses always went a long way. She was genuinely impressed by the girl's choice of apparel, however. All of the dresses that had been brought out looked gaudy at best.

"I think the red will look nice on you," the words were spoken in earnest.

That was the trick of it all. You would be honest but refrain from getting attached to someone you planned only on using. Most people hadn't endured the old academy, hadn't learned to cut all ties off, how to dampen your feelings to do what had to be done.

Amelie nodded along as the girl went off to change and then detected her husband's thoughts. I'll prod her on the details. She hesitated, not entirely certain how to phrase the next telepathic message. She's more talented than you realize. She'll be a vital asset in the future.

Livia emerged dressed in the leathers and Amelie allowed herself to fawn on the initiate, if but for a moment. "You look great, the cloak will look even better," she swiveled towards the shopkeep and added, "you've done us a wonderful service. We'll take the armor and the cloak. What do we owe you?"

There was no need to Livia to try the cloak on, they'd find a use for it if the girl didn't fancy it. "Well, normally we'd charge ten silvers but for Dreadlords I can let this go at cost for eight."

"Twelve silvers it is," Amelie replied while placing the coins into the elderly woman's palm, "thank you."

She flashed a quick look at the initiate and the cloak, signalling that it was time for the two of them to leave with the red sash in tow. Amelie could already sense Erodin arriving near the door of the shop.

Distracted by her new look and whether it did not wash her out, she was half listening to the arrangement of payment between the two others. Livia crossed over to where Amelie remained, and picked up the cloak to drape over her arms.

It was soft, plush, and her fine fingers knew it was new. She did not comment on it, folding it carefully and placing in the satchel bag the lady had given her to hold things. Her packed bag would probably still be attached to her horse, along with her bow and full quivers of arrows.

Liv followed Amelie out the door, her eyes naturally finding Erodin before realisation registered he was near.
"There is a change of direction." Was all she said, as if the words blurted from her. Her olive eyes dart between Erodin and Amelie before she continued, stepping out from the doorway and into the narrow road. "I think I am quite ready to leave this place."

There was nothing else to this small town, but Livia turned her head to see the sun dipping lower towards the horizon. She stared towards the south, head tilting to one side. Imagery flashed before her eyes, the olive hues seemed to read them rapidly. "I can see the path our target is taking... maybe a day behind them?" It was instinct that gave her the infirmation, but she turned back to her guardians with a light shrug of her shoulder. "Are we right to leave?"

• Aww
  • Bless
As much derision as Erodin felt for this new Republic and those Initiate's who spent more time under it's tutelage, he was never one to dismiss potential when he saw it. The little rats he had spread throughout the Vigilite and Vel Anir were proof of that, even the normal folk could be useful.

If Amelie said Liv could be useful, then she would be.

Reminding himself to keep the sneer from his face, Erodin strolled up to the two women just as they left the little general store behind. Donning a smile as he greeted his beloved with all the warmth of a suitor coming calling. "Ah, there you are my love."

Erodin said as his arm slipped behind Amelie's back, and he softly kissed her cheek. Attention turning just a brief second later to Liv.

"Have you felt a shift?" He asked nonchalantly as Liv asked about leaving. "Excellent, I had rather little luck on my end."

The lie came with not a moment of hesitation, his eyes suddenly flashing that deep blue. The air within the middle of the street suddenly beginning to shift and haze, the massive ghostly sky-ray once again beginning to take shape. "I would kill not to spend the evening here."

He said, his fingers squeezing Amelie's side in a silent signal. She would know what to do, that this village needed to burn, and all it would take was one errant thought.

"I believe Aeura is just a few miles from here." Erodin continued as he motioned to the two women. "Do you remember, sweetheart? That town with the little inn?"

One of the towns that they had made theirs. Where every villager was so twisted and broken by Amelie's touches upon their mind that they were little more than puppets, acting out a play determined only by the two Dreadlord.

The perfect place for a nights rest.

Amelie leaned into Erodin's embrace, savoring the brief instance where she didn't have to worry about the logistics of their current situation or put on a false front to the initiate they'd suddenly adopted.

"Excellent," she offered immediately to their compass, "just a day behind? That's a gap that'll be simple enough to catch." A smile beamed from her lips towards the young girl. "You've done quite well."

Those simple praises typically went a long way. She turned her attention next to her beloved.

With the same expression of pure optimism she raised the octave of her voice, "Aeura? Such a sweet little town."

It hadn't always been so. Before Erodin and Amelie had their way with it the place was a modest little village of Anirians who'd wanted a life away from the politics and Dreadlords and strife that the nation had known. They'd subsisted off corn and carved out a little life for themselves which, while lacking nothing, was far below the luxuries the First Levels were used to.

Now? Aeura was a town that appeared to rival any of the noble house's villas. They'd ensured the commoners adorned themselves in the latest fashions, the inn was utterly exquisite, and the pair of Dreadlords had subsidized their food so that the corn could be replaced with far more profitable crops such as tobacco, opium, and whatever else the nobles fancied that season.

"You'll love it," she said while turning towards Livia, Erodin's arm still affixed to her lower back. "Much better than sleeping in the cots they likely have you in at the academy."

Magic crept within her and Livia nodded her head once both the Dreadlords had begun speaking of Aeura, already sensing the close proximity Erodin spoke of. Perhaps there they would find appropriate attire, an idea that was favoured by the young minor noble.

"Actually... my mother made sure my lodgings would be most comfortable for me and that meant a better bed. I used to be unable to sleep, and the Proctors thought perhaps a comfortable bed would coax me into a slumber." It had not, but now that her constant headaches and irritation's root was ripped out, she was able to enjoy it's plushness.

Olivine eyes watched the sky-ray, following her hosts once more towards it.

Livia found a spot similar to where she had sat on the journey here, now laying down her gifted satchel that consisted of her uniform on her lap. She crossed her arms atop it, comfortably leaning into it and the red cloak was tucked into the satchel so that the wind did not catch it rippling.

"What do you think the target has that is leading us to them?" She pondered aloud after a moment, raising her voice enough to be heard as the skies brushed into them. "And why south? I thought we would be heading into the Empire or maybe towards Elbion..." She admitted with a neutral expression.

• Devil
Reactions: Erodin
Erodin looked over at Amelie wordlessly as Livia spoke of the comforts she had been allowed. His expression remaining blank, but a wordless scream echoing from his mind.

Although, shockingly, he approved of some of the changes the Republic had done to the Academy, the majority of shifts in policy were something he'd found utterly abhorrent. Unlike many, most, of the Initiate's who had been trained in the Old Ways; Erodin had excelled in his tutelage.

From the first day, the Dreadlord had pushed himself to the absolute limit of his training. Beatings, punishments, and the worst Proctor's had to offer were all pushed on him.

Erodin had taken it all in stride, seizing each new challenge and conquering it. Always determined to prove himself the best, always seeking to take what was on offer. He had believed in what they had told him. Believed that if he was strong enough, the whole world would be his.

And now I have something even better. The Dreadlord mused to himself as his fingers slipped free of Amelie and she stepped aboard the sky-ray.

"It could be many things." He said in answer to Livia, keeping his casual tone as he stepped onto the wraith. "The Artifacts Gilram seeks do not seem to be connected to the present."
At least from the clues he and Amelie had managed to find so far. "In fact, many of the objects seem to predate Vel Anir itself."

Most of the Artifacts had been found within Anirian territory, some even closely tied to Anirian history, but none had been intrinsically of their nation. The closest had been the Chalice stolen from House Aubrey, but after some investigation it had been determined the Heirloom had originally been found by the House some four hundred years ago.

"But." Erodin intoned as the Ray began to shift beneath them, taking off. "I've been a Dreadlord for many years now, and South always means one thing."

He said, a wide grin spreading across his face. "Elves."

• Nervous
Reactions: Livia Quinnick