Private Tales The First Hunt

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Raphael had rolled a rock over to the fire at some point in the night and used it as a stool from which to cook. He didn't look up from his perch as she stood or murmured her good morning, instead focusing his attention on the eggs and bacon in the pan before him. The only evidence he heard her latter question was the pause before he used the spatula to scoop up a healthy portion of each and pile it onto a plate.

A plate he then held out towards her.

He should have reminded her she only had one question and that she had wasted it the night before on something frivolous and stupid. She certainly wouldn't make it as a spymaster - not that he would ever want her on one of his missions again. Instead of doing what he should of, maybe because she had chosen to ask about how he was than his history, he decided to answer.

"I don't know."

• Bless
Reactions: Fraeya
She took the offered plate and found a rock to perch on, facing him as she began eating with slow, small bites. The answer he gave hung in the air between them like the last note plucked from her stringed instrument. Echoing, vibrating, and tense.

Chin tipped to her plate and she uttered words she rarely did to any other fae.

"Thanks," such a simple word with such a heavy cost. She sighed and looked away from him, her gaze turning to the lake beyond. "I know you don't want me here. I'm not used to this, okay? Working with others. And the whole flying thing."

Green eyes shifted back to the spy master.

"It's not that I don't trust you not to drop me. It's just. It's hard to explain."

She'd leave it at that.

There she was, trying to offer him an entire olive orchard and not just the branch.

• Cthuloo
Reactions: Raphael
After her words Raphael offered nothing but silence. It seemed, as the seconds turned into minutes, he would indeed offer nothing at all to the conversation. He merely kept his focus on his plate and ate with quick, precise movements that echoed his profession. When she might have given up on getting an answer entirely, the Inquisitor finally spoke.

"It's not you I have the problem with," his rough clipped tone suggested otherwise but he continued. "I'm just not used to working with others by order of the Erlking and," he frowned into their camp fire as though debating his next words carefully. "Maeve would be upset with me if you were hurt."

• Cthuloo
"Well, stoppit."

She slammed her fork down on her plate and stood. Light footsteps placed her right in front of the hunched over and eating form of the spymaster. Arms crossed rigidly beneath her chest as she cast him a rare, stern look. The sunrise coming off the lake cast auburn hues to his dark hair, ones she hadn't noticed before.

Same with the scales on his dark wings.

"Stop taking responsibility for things you can't control. I realize I've been friends with Maeve a shorter time than you but you better know she'd never blame you for anything to happen to me. You can't control what happens to me so STOP IT."

• Cthulu Knife
A deadly calm made Raphael go wholly still. The type of still only a fae could go. He tracked her movements as she stomped across the small space between them and came to a stop in front of him, hands on hips. He could feel his shadows beginning to crawl and whisper, peeking around his wings to see what creature dared to speak to them in that tone.

Raphael bared his teeth at her.

"You realise this is not just a test for you from the Erlking, right? That if you die it will be seen as my failing too? For not teaching you, for not," he waved his hand as he struggled to find the right word. "Protecting his assets. He turned you Fraeya, he isn't going to be pleased if he loses you before you reach your potential."

• Cry
While any other fae, besides Sid and Maeve, probably never would’ve addressed the spy master like her. Would’ve fled at the first snarl and flash of his teeth. Fraeya didn’t budge one inch. Only a blonde brow began to arch slowly upward. She stayed boldly close to him. Stared him down.

Cool-spring meadows met his of ire and fire.

“That’s what you think of me? Just an asset to protect? And since you’re so worried about what will happen to you, let me assure you that I can take care of myself. The Erlking may have turned me but it was my choice and it didn’t go exactly as he planned. He couldnt even have predicted the other magic…it doesn’t matter. What do you want from me? A vow that I’ll try to be careful?”

• Cthulu Knife
"That's not how I see you Fraeya," Raphael sighed and resisted the urge to look at the sky above. His shadows were growing more restless, more dangerous. The night had given them time to step back from that dangerous edge but the Made Fae somehow had a way of enflaming them. "I'm telling you that's what you are to this court. And to Maeve you are her friend, so that is two people I do not wish to fail in not returning with you. It is not a matter of swearing some oath, I just would rather be doing this mission without that weight on my shoulders too," when was the last time he had spoken so much in one go? It was exhausting.

"What's done is done. I am not blaming you, but yesterday on the mountain... we hadn't even left our own Court and you could have..." his jaw clenched. "My training has never been about protecting Fraeya. It has only ever been about hurting people."

• Cry
Something changed on her expression as he continued speaking. Something she quickly guarded away. But not completely.

Empathy.

And surprise.

She’d seen so many sides of him. The detached, scary, and commanding male the Erlking wanted. The quieter, gentler male around Maeve and his brothers. The stern, serious male during training sessions. But she’d never seen this.

A male admitting to one of his fears and showing a brief moment of vulnerability.

“Okay,” she breathed after letting the silence stretch between them. Arms slowly uncrossed. She reached out a hand between them.

“We’re in this together. Okay?”

After another moment, a sly smile. “And don’t be so hard on yourself. Your training more than paid off. They were just a bunch of gnome-warts.”

• Blank
"Gnome.... warts...?" Raphael raised both brows as he squinted up at her. Lorcan had a foul mouth, Sid an even fouler one, but never had heard that term before. It was weirdly... human. He sighed. His brothers would scold him for being such a mopey bastard when there was nothing more to be done about the path they were on. For better or for worse he was stuck with Fraeya and they would have to complete this mission together. Perhaps he didn't have to scowl at her the whole time in the hopes she might leave.

After a small hesitation he took her hand and shook it.

"Together," he repeated though the word still didn't sit right with him. "Go finish your food, we need to leave soon."

• Haha
She frowned at the flickering shadows around him as if she all she had to do was reach out and smooth them back herself. But she didn't. Releasing his hand, she finally stepped back.

Over her shoulder she called.

"Working together but you're still going to want to boss me around, aren't you?" A half smile was on her face which she knew he couldn't see. She never talked to anyone like this and it was strange that Raphael drew it out in her. Perhaps Maeve did, too.

As she finished up, she washed the cookware down by the lakeside. The snowy mountains of the pass loomed across the lake. The sun sparkled off the water's surface making it look like diamonds. Would this be the last quiet moment they got? If they were about to enter Summer, Fraeya believed it would be. Even Amanthea was vain and no doubt had spies sprinkled within Summer Court.

Shouldering her pack, she finally looked to Raphael.

"Do we have to fly again to reach your contacts?"

• Cthuloo
Raphael opened his mouth to say yes but then hesitated. He remembered the look of fear in her eyes, the stiff way she had sat in his arms. Whether it was being carried by him, flying itself, or some other misery that type of journeying caused he did not know, but in the interest of this new... agreement Raphael decided not to bully her into his own preference.

"No, you should be able to run the rest of the way just fine. There's a pass through these lower peaks that the nomads use regularly and then we'll be out into the vale," from there it would be easiest to go to Alliria and cross to the other continent from there. Of course, he could fly them but... He finished slinging his pack over his shoulder then held out a hand for hers.

"You'll run for longer if I carry it for you."

• Wonder
She couldn't help the relief flicker briefly across her face. After a small moment of hesitation, she stepped forward and unslung her pack, offering it to the shape-changer. Compromise, right? She needed to work on it.

"After the vale...we can fly." Lips set into a thin line as she looked up at him. Clearly trying.

She turned but paused for a moment, a glance over her shoulder at him. "Sometimes there are hunters. Archers in the pass. Don't get so worried about watching my back that you don't watch your own." And of course, they were crossing into Winter Territory. Queen Mab was...mostly tolerant of her neighbor.

But among fae mostly tolerant never meant safety.

Leaning forward, she took off. Finding it easier than the day before to reach her speed until her figure could barely be seen as it darted ahead with preternatural speed. It also meant she had to pay closer attention to her surroundings. She had to wonder how fast she could go in an open field. She'd no doubt get the chance to try it out once they cleared the pass. Every now and then, she'd glance upward to see if she could spot Raphael's winged form.

• Cthuloo
When was the last time a human had told a fae to be careful? Not a human any longer... right. The thought still surprised him. Her hair was long enough that is covered the now pointed tips of her ears and it was easy enough to believe she had not changed from Delun's human scribe at court. Hoisting both packs onto his shoulders in a secure manner he merely dipped his chin in acknowledgement before lifting into the air.

Raphael did keep a keen eye out for potential threats, although habit had him checking more for threats that could attack Freaya. In the skies he had an advantage unless they came across those winged elves or the rouks. The latter did make him cast a wary eye around the clouds every now and then; those eagles could shred limbs in a matter of seconds. Before Fraeya entered the looming cavern mouth of the Pass Raphael landed lightly beside her. There was no explanation as to why though it wouldn't take much to work out it was because for the moment she was inside he wouldn't be able to see her.

• Cthuloo
Fraeya came to a quick stop. Dirt, dust, and rocks kicking into the air as her booted feet dug into the earth. It was as if he appeared out of nowhere. Like that time in the courtyard when she’d been about to play her stringed instrument. She didn’t know if it was the shadows or just his flying prowess.

Could he not be so stealthy all the time? Did fae ever die from heart attacks?!

Finally, her eyes traveled to him, fingers lifting to tuck rebellious blonde wisps behind her pointed ears. Which heard the sounds of distant wagons and horses further in the pass.

“Would you rather we fly over?”

• Cthuloo
"Yes," Raphael's wings rustled as leather brushed against leather when he folded his wings in tight to his back to avoid brushing up against her. He didn't make a move to pick her up, nor did he launch into an argument in favour of flying as he did yesterday. The shadowsinger merely stepped into the pass without a backward glance to see if she would follow.

They were only alone on travelling the pass. As Raphael had said it was used frequently by nomads and other travellers who sought to cross the Spine without climbing its dangerous peaks. In such an enclosed spaces voices bounced back and forth throwing random snippets of conversation towards them. It gave the sense of not really being alone even though the nearest people were so far ahead they were barely more than torchlight. The puca paused as he suddenly remembered not everyone was as fond of the dark.

"Do you... need a torch?"

• Wonder
Without even know she'd been doing it, her stiff muscles relaxed as she realized they weren't going to fly. Shoulder sagged in relief even as surprise temporarily flashed in her eyes, the moonlight catching the greens for a moment. Her quick legs made it easy to catch up to the Spy Master, as she walked alongside him.

"No. I'm okay. When I was human I would've said yes." A glance up at Raph. Her newly-turned fae eyes could see just as well in the darkest of nights. If anything, she'd say she couldn't see as well on a clear, sunny day. But she chose not to mention that. Autumn had never had many of those.

Snippets of conversation floated back to them.

"....strange creatures..."

"..............wings and fangs........them red eyes... "

"Bunch of tall tales if ye ask me....."

Fae had a way of spooking any mortals who traveled this pass. Fraeya wasn't too concerned about the words she was hearing even though she did let her eyes glance around the darker crevies of the rocks before her attention went back to Raph.

"Have you had those shadows with you your entire life?" A quiet question in the echoing space.

• Cthulu Knife
Raphael merely nodded as she explained; he supposed it made sense. Not every fae was blessed with good enough sight to see in the darkness but from what little he had seen of Freaya's form she was a ... type of Shuck. She'd certainly inherited their speed so it made sense she would inherit their senses too. He would have to be mindful of that, especially the hearing. Content she wouldn't trip over in the darkness they continued on.

Raphael slid his hands into his pockets as they walked, a pack dangling from each broad shoulder. His head was cocked to one side attempting to catch the snippets of conversation that floated back to them. It was more out of habit than he thought the words worth hearing though among the mundane conversations were snippets that did make his curiosity pique. Strange creatures? Red eyes? He strained to hear more, completely forgetting Fraeya was even beside him until she asked--

The Shadowsinger's whole body went rigid as though she had dealt him a physical blow and he came to a complete stop to look at her.

• Stressed
She’d been looking up toward a cleft in the rock as he stopped suddenly. She’d been walking close to him. And instead of hitting air, her hip bumped into his solid mass.

Then her balance tipped. On instinct, her hand snatched forward grasping at anything to keep herself from toppling backwards. Hard to say if she’d grab feathers, skin, clothing, or something else.

• Cthulhoo rage
Being pinched on the arse was perhaps only slightly less offensive than the questions she had asked.

Raphael spun with a curse, one hand going to the offended behind and the other snatching at her elbow to steady her. All the while he was mindful of his wings lest she blunder into that cultural taboo too. Once she was righted he let go as if her very skin burned his fingers and began to trudge on. The shadows hesitated, waiting for him to turn back, then seemed to scamper after him. Their passing caused the odd torch that had been left behind to hiss and splutter.

Remember, be nice. He had not heard his mothers voice in his mind for some time. Why would it appear now for a Turned fae? Whatever the reason it was enough to shock him out of his red misted rage.

"I don't like to talk about them," he finally gritted out.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Her hand grabbed.

oh no.

The tips of her pointy-ears burned even as his hand steadied her elbow. And just as quickly when she realized the error of her grip, she quickly released it. Fingers sliding off leathers.

"Sorry," she breathed after his retreating form. An apologetic look passed to the shadows even as she uttered a word fae never did. She hurried to catch up, this time much more mindful of how close she was walking to him. Or rather, the purposeful space she put between them even as the pass began to narrow.

"I swear I would never...it was an accident," she continued.

And that's all she would say on that. She was too mortified to keep it going. Her ears still burned. Fingers lifted to push blonde waves over the tips.

"We don't have to talk about it if you don't want to. But we do have to talk about something because our voices might keep the prowlers away." Her lips twitched in the darkness. As if to prove the point she'd meant to joke about, there was a screech in the distance.

"What do you like to do for fun?"

She imagined he liked to brood with his shadows for fun, sitting in the rain.

• Blank
Raphael closed his eyes and counted to five whilst he breathed out. Perhaps he should have stayed airborne and just met her on the other side. As soon as the thought had risen in his mind like a serpent the Shadowsinger had rejected it. He'd made a promise to his Prince and Princess, but also to this girl that they would be a team.

"The Prowlers, if they have any senses, will know that we are not prey," though his eyes did rove to the shadows just to make sure. He was certain his own would alert him to the presence of anything that should be worth his time being concerned over but... His fingers played with the hilt of his daggers. Long minutes passed where he said no more in what was no doubt becoming clear to Freaya was simply his way before finally continuing.

"In my spare time I like to garden. I also do a little whittling."

• Wonder
She stopped and stared at him as he finished his answer. A gardener? Color her surprised. Picturing Raphael in a bed of flower or amongst rows of vegetables made it seem more like a tall tale than a unicorn.

Dangerous bastards.

Delun was a master gardener. Fraeya often helped him many an afternoon. It had been one of the rare, happy moments she’d had living among the fae. “The gardens outside the estate in Endora. Did you…do those?”

• Cthuloo
Raphael glanced sidelong at her trying to judge whether she was about to burst into laughter or not. There were not many who knew about his hobbies. In fact, he could count the people on one hand even with her name added to the list. He shuffled his wings uncomfortably and looked away before answering.

"Mostly, yes. Though Maeve helped a lot. I suggested she try it when she first came to Endora... when she had just gotten out of that cell. When you have been confined you want to do things that are the opposite. Being outside in the sun all day growing flowers makes it hard to think of torture."

• Cthuloo
"They're beautiful," she said quietly. "It was one of the first things I noticed once we landed. It helped center me away from...from where my thoughts had been going."

Darker thoughts looking for an easy way out.

With lithe footsteps, she caught up to Raphael's side again. Careful not to brush against his wings since she'd noticed he always seemed to keep them tucked in tight for a reason. The way he spoke about that last part. She frowned and looked up at him.

"Where you came from. They weren't kind to you, were they? You don't, we don't have to talk about it but if you ever want to. I'm here as a friend."

It was the best thing she could think to offer to the quieter and more reserved male.

• Cthuloo
Her question was as dangerous and uncomfortable as the one about his shadows. The two answers entwined in a painful knot that made up his past. There had been times when he had examined that tangled mess and debated if it were time to begin to unravel it but every tug, every memory, was enough to send him into a spiral of self loathing and anger towards the man who had his eyes.

A monsters eyes.

"Thank you," he said roughly and his shadows seemed to shudder in relief. They walked on in silence for a bit and then before he could think about what it was he was saying he continued.. "My mother liked gardening. I feel close to her when I do it."

• Cry