Private Tales Read between the lines

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
"Talus loves dessert," Zana said smoothly and put a hand on her husband's arm with an affectionate smile. If he could eat only two things, Zana thought it might be bolognese and chocolate cake. The governor looked both relieved and happy as he called for the next course to be brought in but there was a look in the Virak pet's eye that made her jaw clench. Studying, watching. It was no secret now that the two were wed of course but she still didn't like anyone thinking of them as such. It put a target on both their backs to each others enemies.

Soon cakes, fruits, candies and more were piling in.

"it's my favourite course too," the Governor said in a conspirator whisper.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Talus
A long sigh escaped him, but he didn't offer any further objections once Zana spoke. A small smile touched his face as the Governor leaned over and whispered quietly, his head shaking.

At the least the man was somewhat down to earth.

In the old days he had met more than a few Governors who thought of themselves as the Gods own chosen. An attitude which had gotten people killed. He suspected that this man was better, though the bar wasn't very high by his estimation. "How are things with Parliament?"

He asked.

"It must be..." Briefly Talus glanced at the noble across from them. "Different."

"It is and it isn't my Lord. In the grand scheme most things remained much the same, it's just...run a bit more liberally now."​

The Governor said, though one of the women added.

"Decisions take twice as long with three times as much debate."​

A few chuckled erupted from the statement.

• Cthuulove
Reactions: Zana
Zana bit down into the soft chocolate sponge rather than respond. She had been trotted out for enough political balls, dinners and soirees to know when her opinion was wanted and more importantly when it was not. Those around the table certainly did not think she would have an opinion, being a soldier and all that. A revolution might have taken place but the upper crusts of society had managed to hold on to the majority of their power and the status quo. With that came the overwhelming view of the rich; that the poor had no clue how to govern.

"Well, the people here seem to be very happy My Lord, it is a much... brighter place than the last time I was here," the Governor practically beamed under her praise.

"Why thank you my dear, I do like to think I do a good job but truthfully... politics has never been my cup of tea. I'm much more at home with a lance in my hand and a sword between my legs," he sighed and Zana's lips twitched faintly.

"Perhaps you would join me for a ride tomorrow morning, before the Commanders arrive."

• Popcorn
Talus perked an eyebrow as the man spoke, but didn't offer any words on his comment.

He could easily tell that the Governor was no wordsmith or diplomat. By his own admission he did better on a battlefield, and that as much Talus had guessed from the very moment of meeting him. Briefly the former Dreadlord wondered why Parliament had even installed him.

Though looking around at the table of nobles that wasn't really hard to guess. It was likely they had wanted to keep an eye on the people here, had wanted someone outside the usual gang of politicians and nobles that handled this fortress. A military man would do his duty, nothing less and nothing more.

Least Talus could appreciate that

"I would very much enjoy that."

The Governor said with a bright beaming smile, his expression revealing the truth of his words. Talus smiled back at the man. "When are they due to arrive?"

He asked, trying to calculate just how much more time they'd have to spend in this place.

"In the afternoon, I suspect. They will be hurrying, given the weight of your news."

As the governor mentioned why they were here, several others at the table perked up. They tried to hide it of course, but Talus could read them like a book. All of them wanted to know what Talus and Zana were up to, why they had come back and they hat news they were to deliver. Intrigue was ever the most valuable currency of Vel Anir.

• Popcorn
There was an obvious lull in the conversation as the other guests waited to be filled in on what that news was. However, as the Governor returned to his dessert and so did Zana and Talus, it became quite clear that there would be no revealing of the reasons why the two ex Dreadlords had returned from retirement in the name of the Republic.

The small talk continued afterwards with the Governor asking if Talus might visit the Guards in residents, many of whom had claimed to know him, and if Zana would mind checking over the state of the horses as whispers of her talents had reached him. Conversation then turned to the return of the Prince and Princess who had both displayed surprising talents. The latter more than raised a brow from Zana who glanced at Talus with a look that said Back in my day...

In the end however they eventually excused themselves and returned to their rooms. Zana sighed as the door closed behind them.

"I forgot how tiring those dinners were."

• Popcorn
"I never went to many of them." Talus said, almost as though it were a brag.

Zana had been under the House of Luana. State dinners and such things had been far more her time than it had been his. Most of the time he hadn't been invited to such function, at least not until after the Revolution. He could hardly afford to miss them then.

"But." He said with a sigh. "They are about as boring as watching paint dry."

Talus remarked with a chuckle. "At least the Governor's alright."

That still pleased him for some reason, knowing that at least not everyone was a complete fool. One of his biggest worries had been the Revolution would end badly, that the Republic would somehow make things worse.

He was glad to know that wasn't the total truth. At least not from what he was. "Wonder who they'll be sending tomorrow."

• Thoughtful
Zana began to unlace her blouse then folded it neatly onto the dresser; a soldiers neatness was another little tick she couldn't shake.

"I hope it's Blackforge," Zana said with a soft smile. "It would be nice to see him again," the pair had gone on missions together before the Revolution and after the death of Aldwaith, it had been in him she had confided the real depth of Talus and hers relationship, and their two children. They had regularly exchanged letters too and Zana had been more than touched to find him seeking her opinion on some matters he faced. She would certainly class him as a friend more than a comrade after everything they had been through.

"Yarl has more interest in magical threats though," his army had stood as the wall against elves for centuries after all. Her lips pursed; he was not a man she had ever really liked. "Or the new one... who took over the West again?"

• Popcorn
"Ameris." He reminded Zana. "She used to be a Major with the North."

CHoosing who would replace the venerated General of the West had been a large point of contention of course. The position was an extremely important one, being in charge of the defense of Vel Anir. In this new age particularly it had been contentious.

Talus had been asked, but of course rejected it.

The posting would have been the exact opposite of everything that he and Zana had desired. It had been with his input however that Ameris had been chosen. He had never met the woman, but by all accounts she was an excellent Soldier and Commander.

"Fought some battles against the Free-Cities, well regarded." Talus shrugged his shoulders.

"I wouldn't mind meeting her." He admitted. "Thawne likes her."

• Thoughtful
Zana pulled a face as she clambered into bed; she found it a lot harder than her husband to give people the benefit of the doubt. Years of political scheming, torture, and worse often did that to a person.

"I suppose we'll see in the morning," she said begrudgingly and laid her head on the soft pillow. One of the maids must have come and redone the bedroom whilst they were at dinner for it all felt crisp and clean once more. It made Zana smile; for some reason she did not think it had been an order but rather a silent show of thanks from those lower down the ladder.

"Either way, it should mean we'll be in our own bed tomorrow night," a thought that filled her with joy. She missed Grey and the twins. Missed their slice of peace. This was too, uncomfortably, close to Vel Anir.

• Popcorn
Talus nodded his head. "Good."

He said, running a hand through his hair and dragging in a long breath. It felt as though they had been gone from home for months now. It reality it had only been a few days of course, but time seemed to drag on when they were away.

A fact he was sure Zana felt as much as he did.

"Hopefully the house is still there." He remarked as he slowly joined his beloved in bed. There was always a chance that the twins had destroyed the entire place. Their magic was so chaotic and varying that he couldn't rule out the possibility. "That or it's been replaced by a Dwarven Keep."

It took centuries to build the Great Dwarven Holds, but that was mostly because perfection was so key to their people. He wouldn't have put it past his family to rebuild half the house so that it was 'better'. "But on the bright side."

Talus said as he slipped beneath the blankets. "Maybe the fence will be done."

Now that would be something to return to.

• Bless
Zana laughed and shifted closer beneath the thick downed duvet and blankets until her body pressed perfectly to the curves of his. Like two pieces of a puzzle that fit seamlessly. She rested her forehead against his and let her eyes fall shut.

"Would you have thought a year ago you would find such joy in a simple thing like a fence being built?" they had not had time for such luxuries back then. Joys were fleeting, fierce and were to be seized with by both hands. Now a simple thing like a sunny day so she might tend to the vegetables caused her to smile all day.

"Sometimes I cannot believe it is real, and that I will wake up and it will be all some cruel trick."

• Popcorn
Talus chuckled ever so slightly. Ten years ago the idea of a fence probably wouldn’t have even popped into his mind unless someone had told him it was part of a mission. Their lives had changed so rapidly for the better that sometimes it really did seem like a dream.

A hand gently settled upon Zana’s hip, Talus smiling. ”I would not have thought, but I’m glad I now do.”

There was always a part of them that would be tied to Vel Anir. Some string that still tugged at them, for better or for worse. Talus felt it, and he knew that Zana did too. They were Dreadlords still, in a way, no matter how much they wished it wasn’t so. After all, but of them could have said no to this whole adventure.

Yet they had gone anyway, because that was who they were.

”I would have preferred to be awake before the Dragon slammed it’s tail into me.” Talus remarked. ”So if it didn’t happen then.”

Softly he leaned forward and planted a kiss on her lips. ”I don’t think it will happen after.”

• Cthuulove
"Well... if it is," she murmured as she helped herself to another kiss and rolled to straddle his hips. "I hope we never wake up."

The sun spread its rosy fingers across the sky as it awoke the next morning, casting beautiful light across the militaristic town. Even the battlements looked softer in this kind of light. Lyra would think it some fairytale castle like out of the books she read them before bed, though she would probably insist on growing some roses down the sides to complete the look.

"Penny for your thoughts?" The governor asked as he reined his horse in beside Zana's. The two horses couldn't be more different; Zandor stood calm as a mirror-lake whilst the grey stallion beside him pranced and reared, eager to be going now it was saddled. Zana had to admire his riding ability however; not all horsemen could sit such energy.

"I was thinking of how beautiful the sunrise is," Zana replied in a half truth and turned her gaze to her riding companion. "After you, Governor. It has been a while since I've ridden these paths."

• Popcorn
As the party made their way towards the designated meeting spot Talus, as was his custom, walked on foot. Beside him were half a dozen dignitaries, guardsmen, and of course the Governor and his beloved wife. Talus did not struggle in the least keeping up with any of them, and his expression was mostly blanked as they walked.

One of the Guardsmen came up alongside him. An older man, the marks on his armor showing that he was a Lieutenant. Talus didn’t know the man, but that wasn’t really much of a surprise. There were tens of thousands of Guardsmen, one could hardly meet them all.

“May I ask why you do not ride, Major?”

The man asked, genuine curiosity in his tone.

Talus shirked ever so slightly at the address of his old rank, but he did not begrudge the man. ”Never much liked it. I’m faster without it and mounted combat doesn’t suit me.”

The Guardsmen frowned slightly.

“Ah, I see. Well I suppose that is an…advantage you have.”

Talus chuckled slightly. Being part of the Cavalry was a cherished thing among most Guardsmen. He imagined that most of them couldn’t even conceive of a world where they would rather be on foot.

”One I am th-” Before he finished Talus spotted a party much like theirs on the road ahead. The Flags of Vel Anir, several Nobles houses both old and New, and the Guard itself fluttering in the distance.

• Nervous
Zana felt her mouth dry up as the silver rearing horse on a green background caught the breeze.

"Quite the turning out," the Governor gave a low whistle. "Whatever you sent must have been deemed important enough, eh-- My Lady, are you alright?"

She hadn't realised her horse had stopped until the concern in her companion's voice made her break out of her turbulent thoughts. With a jolt she let go of her crushing hold on the reins and felt Zandor relax beneath her, though his ears flickered to and fro with the anxiety he felt from his rider. The Governor didn't need to wait for her reply however, his eyes turning back to where Zana had been staring, and registering the origins of the flag.

"Would you like to turn back?"

Even without the bond the two of them shared Talus would have been able to read Zana's reaction like a book. His head turned almost immediately, and slowly a breath dragged into his lungs. He said a quick word to the Guardsmen besides him, and then stepped over towards Zana.

He smiled up at her, reaching and softly putting a hand upon her thigh. "I don't think we'll need to do that, Governor."

There was, of course, always that choice, but Talus knew his wife. The moment of shock would soon be over, and once Zana gathered herself he knew that the her trademark determination would set itself in place. If it didn't?

Well then they would leave.

It was an easy choice, really. They were here because they had done Vel Anir a favor. They were not Dreadlords, they were not citizens of this nation. They wre as free as could be, and Talus was ready to remind anyone of that.

"Are you alright?" He asked Zana in a low whisper.

• Stressed
Thump thump. Thump thump. Thump thump.

"Yes," Zana breathed, tearing her eyes away from the sight of the flag to look down into her husbands eyes. Comforting pools of blue that had seen her through such harder times than this. The birth of the twins, the death of Sloan... "Yes," she shook herself and cleared her throat. "Of course. I'm fine. I just wasn't... I wasn't expecting so many people to come and hear what we have to say," she didn't think it needed to go beyond the Generals but clearly they thought different.

Or the Houses had muscled in. Was that Luana now? One of the prickly thorns?

• Stressed
"Curiosity." He said calmly, trying to sound as reassuring as he possibly could. It would be a few minutes still until the other party reached them. Especially now that they had come to a stop.

The Governor, whether knowingly or not, rather helpfully called out to his guardsmen.

He motioned for them to set up a small encampment in the clearing just to the side of the road. It was hardly the most illustrious meeting point, but that did not matter. Most Anirians knew well that where the meeting took place was not nearly as important as what took place.

"Nothing more." He told Zana as he softly rubbed her thigh "If we want to leave, we leave."

Talus reminded Zana softly.

They held no loyalties here, no strings had caught them. They were free, and the only thing that mattered was their two beautiful children waiting at home.

• Cthuulove
Zana smiled down at her husband then slid from Zandor's saddle to cup his cheek. Her anchor. She took a deep breath and then nodded; he was right. They could just leave. The issue was was that she didn't want to leave. That deep sense of loyalty still tugged at her she just wished she didn't have to be reminded of the home and family she had once had. That she had destroyed.

Leaning up to press a kiss to his stubbled cheek Zana stepped past him to tether up her horse. By the time she was done the party had finally arrived.

"Zana!" Blackforge bellowed as he hopped off his large horse and scooped the ex-Dreadlord up in a bear crushing hug.

It seemed that the old general had made the trip after all. Before Talus could even say anything the hulking ogre of a man rushed forward and swept Zana into the air. Feet quickly found earth beneath him as he took half a step back, not wanting to be tossed to the ground by the other man’s sheer bulk.

”General.” Talus said in greeting.

The massive man half turned towards toward Talus, his beaming smile turning even larger as his other arm extended and wrapped around the former Dreadlord. Hands the size of bear paws scooping him up as well.

“Ah! But is it good to see you kids!” He bellowed. “I’m surrounded by nothing but politicians and sycophants these days!”

Blackforge complained, a voice echoing out from behind him just a few seconds later. Sounding more than a little displeased by the lack of decorum that was being displayed by the General of the East.

“Yes, Politicians who have urgent business

They were all reminded by one of the mounted figures.

• Haha
Zana knew that voice.

It made her want to crawl into a hole somewhere far away from here and the General must have sensed the melting away of her momentary joy for he gave her a sympathetic smile then set them both down.

"Aye, I suppose the festivities can wait till this evening. I'm sure the Governor here has made preparations, eh!" he boomed and slapped said man on the back nearly sending him sprawling into the mud. Zana tune the two out as they bartered back and forth and fixed the icy mask out of habit on her face, her hands linked behind her back like a good soldier. Realising what she was doing she forcibly made herself walk towards the voice.

"Archon Jaezrel," Zana inclined her head. The other woman was not much older than Sloan had been but there was more grey in her hair than she remembered. The archon ran her eyes over the other Dreadlord and then compressed her lips; clearly she didn't like what she saw. Her eyes skittered past her, dismissing her entirely, to focus on the others instead.

It was like a punch to the gut.

"I would like to hear this report," she said, making her way to one of the chairs being arranged in the tent.

• Thoughtful
Archon.

The title still sent a small chill rolling up his spine. Memories of his fight with Isbrand, of the destruction wrought by the men and women who held claim to such strength flickered through his mind. Talus knew better than most what they could do, what they were capable of when truly pushed.

Of all Dreadlords, it was they who had earned their reputation the most. There was no denying it, for to earn the title had meant the grudging respect of every Great House. Even those who had despised one another. Edric stared at the woman for a fleeting moment, lips thinning as he gently put a hand on the small or Zana's back. "We found a city."

He began to explain, speaking loud enough that those heading towards the table could hear.

"Cloaked and shadowed in ice. At it's heart a great tower." He stopped in front of one of the chairs. "Surrounding it we're thousands up on thousands of eggs, no, cocoons. Each containing a monstelrocity of sort."

Slowly the Politicians took their place, though Edric made no move to sit. "Within the tower we found Nassau."

A few gasps echoed out as he said the words.

• Stressed
Zana felt as though she were seven years old again. The dismissal hurt and she hated that it did. She hated that her instinct was to prove she was worthy of more attention. Talus had had a far different time in the Academy to her and whilst Sloan had managed to protect her to an extent, Talus' had enabled him to go further. To break free. It had made him an outcast but the reward was that now, he did not find himself suffering the same lingering clutches of indoctrination.

She took a breath and tried to remind herself the Archon held no real power over her now.

"We confronted him," Zana continued and was glad to find her voice strong; the warmth of her husbands hand no doubt helped steel her spine. "And whilst we have not met before, he did not seem... of a... sane mind. He spoke mostly in riddles and seemed to believe what he had done there was.... justified. For the greater good."

• Stressed
Nearly everyone at the table broke out into a fit of conversation as soon as the two Dreadlords were finished talking. A cacophony of voices broke out in the tent, speaking with and over one another as though they were all trying to get a word in at the same time.

Only two others remained silent; Blackforge and the Archon.

Both seemed to stare at Zana and Talus. Their expressions were unreadable, though Talus could see the creases of worry touching the old General's eyes. It was a loud bang that silenced the tirade of arguments as the Governor slammed his hands on the table.

"Please! Please! Let there be order. One at a time!"​

The man shouted, calling out over the others and silencing their calls.

Most glanced towards him, quieting down and leaning back in their chairs with small mutters as they shook their heads. Blackforge let the calm settle for a moment, a frown tugging at his lips as slowly he leaned forward.

"This news is...troubling. It's not the first time that Nassau was spotted. Several months ago two Initiates encountered him in the Savannah, he was supporting the local tribesman in the siege of Vel Yulthir. They used a Dragon to wipe out the city."​

• Nervous
Zana slowly glanced to her husband; neither of them had heard that particular bit of information before.

"If it is the same dragon that we encountered it is now dead," she said with some reluctance and looked back to those gathered. A low murmur broke out as people turned to begin to discuss whether that was a good sign or not; surely Nassau was defeated if his dragon was? Zana paid the whispers no mind and continued in a slightly louder voice. "Talus slayed the dragon but it was not... well," her statement caused the Archon to raise a brow. Zana did not want to reveal where her talents were taking her in retirement but she continued anyway.

"The dragon was sick. From what I saw I would not have said it was a natural illness but one caused by magic, perhaps even blood magic or necromancy from what I know," she tucked a strand of hair nervously behind her ear. "We believe that the creatures we fought were bound somehow to it."

• Thoughtful