Private Tales Read between the lines

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
It was an odd thing, once again finding themselves in the midst of 'civilization'. Though the Fortress City they now found themselves in had been built for utility rather than pomp, the luxuries found within were still something that they did not have in their small village home.

"He seems nice." Talus commented as they followed the maid along the maze like hallways.

A frown touched his face. "I never met him before the revolution."

"But if they're choosing people like him to be Governors, I think things are going well."
They had some news out of Vel Anir of course, they couldn't avoid it, but by and large Zana and Talus had managed to avoid most things. At least things that weren't earth shaking. Who governed what city and why was hardly in the news they got.

Quickly the small group made their way through the keep, and eventually they were brought to a large suite which was quite obviously meant for visiting dignitaries. Likely one of the largest rooms in the entire settlement.

It was nice, probably nicer than they needed.

• Sip
Reactions: Zana
"Oh the Governor is very popular here, he won the election in a landslide - b-beggin' you both for eavesdroppin'," the maid dipped a courtesy with a slight blush. "All of us... we're all so grateful to you two for making this... making this possible," she smiled, bobbed again then quickly vanished out the door with murmured goodbyes. Zana watched her go with slight amusement.

"Elections in Aniria," she shook her head in disbelief. "If you had told me a year ago that that would be happening here..." Well she would have laughed in their face before incinerating them.

Parchment and ink stood ready on the desk in the large room which consisted of a copper tub and a four poster bed with silk hangings. Zana took up a seat and quickly dipped the nib into the inkwell before beginning a quick, simple letter to the other Generals.

Talus' thoughts matched Zana's almost exactly. It seemed almost impossible that a city known for its iron oligarchy would not be holding elections. Before the Revolution it had seemed an impossible task, and even after he had half expected it all to go to shit.

It was part of why he'd said no to being Ilyena's running mate for Prime Minister.

He'd known the politics was shaky. Known the mess that could come from it all. It had been another struggle he simply couldn't take part in. Not with a Family on the way, not if he and Zana were going to have the life that they desired. "Seem to be doing a decent job."

Talus' murmured, though more to himself than Zana.

The former Dreadlord that every city was as well off as this one. They'd heard stories of upheaval and rebellion, but that had been part of the calculation. Many people had better lives now, like the maid who'd thanked them. Perhaps that was worth a bit of chaos.

"Mention of Nassau should be enough to get their backs up." He remarked. "See if you can't get Verik Therin here."

The new General of the West was a good man, Talus trusted him.

• Thoughtful
Zana nodded absently to her husbands suggestions as her quill flew across the page.

Manipulation through the written word was what Luana had trained her for. It was an art, in its own way, Sloan had taught her. Being able to twist the readers emotions the right way, to give enough information to capture them but holding enough back to let their imagination fill in the worst. When she was done she summoned the maid once more with a little bell and insisted it be sent by raven within the hour. The girl hurried off with dogged determination and finally the pair were left alone.

With a sigh Zana flopped onto the large bed, finally allowing herself to relax.

"We should find a doctor to look at your side."

• Popcorn
Reactions: Talus
Talus glanced down at the wound at his side, his face flickering with surprise almost as though he had entirely forgotten it was there in the first place. He frowned for a moment and then shook his head. "I've had bigger scratches from house cats."

The Former Dreadlord remarked.

"But I suppose it's best to see a Doctor." He thought there would at least be one good one in this city. "Unless..."

Talus said as he gently stroked his fingers over the back of Zana's neck as she lay within the pillows. "You want to play nurse."

It had been nearly a day now since they'd faced the dragon, and although the wound still ached it wasn't going to kill him in the next few minutes. Least he thought it wouldn't.

• Smug
Zana slowly turned her face and opened one cat-like green eye to look at her husband, the beginnings of a sinuous smile curling her lips.

"Nurse? That's a new one," she mused and rolled onto her side, propping herself up on her elbow and running her eyes over his face. There would never be a time in her life when the sight of him didn't feel her with love and desire. Perhaps it was the magic he unknowingly did that had joined their souls just so, but it was a truth she knew deep in the core of her very being.

"It has been a while, hasn't it?" she murmured huskily and her fingers came up to brush down his jaw and gently coax him closer to her lips. "Since the twins were born really," they hadn't had a moment to themselves and when they had they had simply been too exhausted for anything other than sleep.

• Popcorn
Talus smiled. "It has."

He would not have traded his family for anything, not all the riches in the world, not all the power of ten Archons put together.

But...at times he wished they could still have a modicum of privacy.

It didn't help that the twins were already exhibiting their power, had been doing so since before they left the womb. The two of them were a danger to...well every sort of thing around them. It wasn't that he thought them dangerous, but it was difficult to pull away with such a magic lurking nearby.

Mostly because they made it known it was nearby. "Too long."

He said as his fingers gently brushed over his beloved.

• Smug
Zana sighed into the pillow at the sound of gentle knocking on their door. After their love making, the pair had fallen into a sound sleep amongst the goose-filled pillows and soft sheets. Whilst the thread of the Archon still lay heavy on their shoulders those few hours had been a precious few for them to reconnect.

"Come in," she called and sat up, rubbing the sleep from her eyes. Neither ex-dreadlord had a sense of prudishness when it came to their bodies and it was an... oddity that for the first time they could be so open with their relationship with one another in what had once been their home where such a relationship would have been punished or manipulated.

The maid slipped in and only momentarily paused seeing that she had disturbed their rest before curtseying.

"Apologies my Lady, Lord. I wanted to check if you needed help dressing for dinner?"

Zana glanced to the windows. Light no longer filtered in and dusk had settled. How long had they slept?

"No, thank you. We'll be down on time don't worry," she smiled and the maid hesitated before smiling back and quietly slipping out of the room again. Once she was gone Zana lay back down and turned to face Talus with a soft smile. "How big a feast do you think he's riled his cooks into making?"

• Popcorn
Talus rubbed at his face with one hand, slowly running fingers through his hair. "You saw how excited he was."

The Former Dreadlord said with a shake of his head.

"We'll be lucky if we get off with half a table." Celebrations like these were something neither of them were stranger to. Nothing would ever beat the feast his dwarven family had thrown them upon the birth of the twins, but...well the Republic had certainly tried more than once before.

"Just...eat your fill." Talus said with a yawn, kicking off the blanket. "Maybe we'll get to take some home for the Twins."

They did enjoy devouring whatever was put in front of them.

A fact which proved more than anything else that they were his children.

Zana grimaced.

"They're not even a year old yet," not that that seemed to deter their children from attempting to eat anything on their plates. Spaghetti in particular appeared to be a firm favourite, much to her husband's delight. As Talus kicked the blankets off, Zana gathered them up around herself and tucked it around her body like a cocoon. She helped herself to a good eyeful of the man next to her however as she settled down, looking to the world like she had no intentions of moving from that spot any time soon.

"The dwarves would probably appreciate it though, I'm not sure if I'll be able to bake enough cake to say thank you for looking after Lyra and Alec all this time."

• Popcorn
Talus chuckled. "No, I suppose no amount of food will ever much satisfy that side of the family."

Dwarves were famed for their feasts, and his family? Well they especially. Part of that was because of Zana and Talus. They had restored the ancient home of his dwarven found family, fueled the forges with dragonfire once more.

It had spurned a new age of sorts. Trade had been restored, armor was being forged again, and a city that had been dying had come to life once more.

In reality, both Zana and Talus knew they would never need to pay their dwarven family. Not for babysitting, not for anything at all really, but the gesture still counted. "Maybe we can ask for extras."

Talus said as he walked over towards the desk.

"The Governor does seem like to like us." Though he wasn't so sure the generals and the Government would feel the same after they delivered their news.

• Smug
Zana gave a low whistle as he walked away and then propped herself back into the pillows with a soft sigh. She wanted to sleep, not sit and make conversation for a few hours. Even the thought of food wasn't tempting enough.

"I can just imagine the look on his face - Excuse me Governor, I don't suppose you have extra we can take home to our dwarf family and our twins?" As far as she knew, it was only the Generals and Ellie who still lived in Vel Anir who knew about their children. They had gone to great lengths to keep it a secret and intended to keep doing so. She did not put it past even the current Republic to not recognise the power and potential of their children and seek to use it for their own gains.

With a sigh she finally threw off the blankets and rolled to her feet.

"The letter should reach them by nightfall, they could be here by the morning if they hurry."

• Popcorn
"Maybe he'll think it's charming." A shrug rolled over his shoulder, though in truth he was tempted to try it just to see how the man would actually react.

Of course, he would never in a million years put his children at risk. Yet the thought of seeing the Governor bluster and overstate things was...amusing in it's own sort of way.

Drawing in a long breath Talus shook his head. "I'm sure they will."

At least one or two of them.

"The Republic sent us after this whole..." Whatever in the fuck it was. "They'll want to know what's happening first."

He just hoped they wouldn't be dealing with only politicians. "Perhaps we can win the Governor over completely tonight, he'd make a nice ally."

Talus mused, not even realizing he was thinking in the same terms he had never wanted to.

• Popcorn
Zana tugged a clean blouse on over her head. It was a little crinkled from where it had been rolled up in her saddle bags but it would have to do for the Governor tonight; surely he would not expect them to be glammed up when they were back from a mission. She considered putting on her armour for a bit of decoration then decided against it; armour was never something comfortable to sit in.

She glanced over her shoulder at Talus' comment with a small frown.

"We don't need allies," she said firmly then crossed the room to press a kiss to his shoulder. "We're just here to tell them what we know, what they decide to do with that information is their job. They're in charge now."

"Besides, you're the only ally I've ever, and will ever, need."

• Bless
A frown touched his lips for just a brief moment, but then slowly he nodded his head.

"You're right." A statement that held true nine out of ten times. In the back of his mind he still thought of himself as a soldier. A weapon forged by Vel Anir for the good of the people. This mission...it was no different than a thousand others.

But Zana had it exactly.

They were not here to convince these people. They were not here to wage another war or fight another battle. The two of them had been asked a favor, and they had completed it. "You're absolutely right."

Talus said as he turned his head and pressed a kiss against her cheek. "Let's go eat some roast potatoes."

He said, fingers reaching out to squeeze her behind. "I've worked up quite the appetite."

• Smug
Zana battered his hand away playfully with a musical laugh that made the worries and stressed of their mission that haunted her eyes vanish.

"Moves like that is what got landed us with the twins," she teased. Of course they had both seen the glimpses of their future, of the many children and grandchildren that would one day sit around their feet in their old age. When their next gift would come was already written in the stars and Zana looked forward to it.

Grabbing her sword from where she had carefully propped it against the wall she slung it about her waist, combed her fingers through her long hair, then opened the door and headed for the banquet room. The smell of food hit them half way down the corridor and she glanced at Talus with a knowing smile; he was already probably planning what to have. Inside the Governor and a handful of others were already inside.

"Ah! My Lord and Lady Morrid, welcome! I hope you had chance to rest. Please, please take a seat."

• Popcorn
”We most certainly did.” They had had a chance to rest, though they really hadn’t taken advantage of the time. Well, in a way, but most certainly not to garner any precious rest.
A smile touched his lips as he pulled out Zana’s chair, letting her sit before he finally took his own seat beside her. The Governor was practically beaming still, his face all smiles as he considered the two former Dreadlords. The others looked no less pleased, though some were more interested than others.

“Allow me to introduce everyone.”​

The Governor said, standing from his chair and gesturing.

“This is my wife, Villenia. Her brother, Marcus, and this is Commander Thremir.”​

Talus nodded in greeting to everyone in truth, though it quickly became clear that one of them at the table was left out. A stately looking man, dressed in fine black. He seemed to glance towards the governor, giving him a dour look.

His throat cleared.

“Ah, and yes of course. Lord Renier of House Cressidia.”​

• Cthulhoo rage
Zana nearly knocked her glass of wine over. It was only a reactive bit of her magic that suspended the droplets in the air then carefully guided them back to the righted cup. She tried to keep the heat from flooding her cheeks by suppressing it with that hate that had been built up for years by her own House for the one which sat opposite her.

"Do you two know each other?" The Governor asked uncertainly as he cast his eyes between Zana and the Lord opposite. The ex Dreadlord had to clench her jaw to keep from making a biting comment and instead reminded herself of where she was, why, and that the life she had left behind no longer existed. She didn't have a House. Her loyalty was to her family.

"Not personally, no," she said lightly and despite her best efforts there was a touch of frost.

• Popcorn
Talus didn't blink twice when the Noble was introduced.

To him, every House had long since been the enemy. It was hard to view them as anything else, for he knew the last two Centuries of Anirian politics had been entirely lead by them. In his book, all of them were equally bad as the other.

The fact that some of them remained was still a thorn within the side of his neck. Had the decision been his the Houses would have been dissolved, and their wealth distributed entirely to the people. "A pleasure."

He said gruffly, and received a smile in return.

"Tell us!"​

The Governor said happily.

"What have you been doing since your departure?"​

Talus and Zana had technically chosen exile as their station within Vel Anir. They weren't really supposed to be here, but the Guard...well the Guard was only made up of humans. "Living our lives, Lord Governor. Exploring the east, seeing to villages, and apparently still being called upon by our home."

He added dryly.

• Cthuulove
An awkward silence descended on the table like a blanket of snow.

"Well, you can't instigated a Rebellion and then swan off to enjoy your lives. You have a duty to the Republic," Marcus retorted which only made the following silence worse. Out the corner of her eye she saw his wife give him a sharp elbow to the ribs which almost made him choke on his wine. Zana focused on carefully loading her plate with vegetables and slices of meat.

The governor cleared his throat.

"The East! How interesting, bunch of wild jungles and all sorts out that way as far as I've heard."

"It's a refreshing change," Zana replied mildly, drawing everyone's eye. "After 26 years of doing nothing but killing I can understand at last why you nobles are so keen to avoid doing it yourselves."

• Popcorn
The bites going around the table were enough to make most people flush. A few were filled with anger, some others seemed sticklers for simple embarrassment. Most everyone at the table however were avoiding looking the two Dreadlords in the eye.

For some reason Talus found the fact utterly amusing.

He was struggling not to burst out into laughter when Zana offered her next retort, though the Governor covered for him by letting out his own wry chuckle.

"Yes, exploring a life beyond such violence is truly what most of us strive for. When I fought in the Guard it is what most of us talked about. A time after the violence."​

The man was clearly trying to desperately keep up a more even tone of conversation. Trying to ensure that his guests did not kill one another. Not that any of those at the table posed a threat to either of the former Dreadlords. "It was that way for many of us as well, in the Academy."

He turned his gaze towards some of the others.

"As children we talked about what it would be like to have a family, to live a life, to have what so many others in Vel Anir did." His voice remained even, calm. "I am glad we could help bring that reality to so many."

Marcus pointedly looked away, lips thin.

Surprisingly Lord Cresidia tilted his head with a nod.

"I could not agree more, Lord Morid. My own daughter is...gifted, discovered only a few months ago. I am thankful for the reforms. Had it not been for them, I might never have gotten to know her."​

• Cthulhoo rage
Zana bit down hard on her tongue to keep herself from retorting. There had always been one rule for the Houses and another for everyone else. No doubt he would have still had some semblance of a relationship with his child even under the old regime.

"Indeed, it does the Kingdom good to move forward with the times," the Governor nodded, looking relieved that the conversation seemed to have settled on some tenuous agreement. He speared a bit of chicken and added it to his plate. "Why don't you tell us a bit about the East? Any adventures?"

Zana glanced to Talus briefly.

"We've been on a few. We've seen dragons, lava giants, even seen some Avariel, though we've yet to had a wander through their new open city."

• Popcorn
"How wonderful that sounds."​

The Governor said with an eager nod of his head, sounding as though he truly did mean what he was saying. The others seemed to lean in as well, particularly when Zana mentioned the Dragons. Such beasts had long been lost to the lands around Vel Anir.

A matter of course that was their own fault of course. The creatures that had once flown through the skies here had been hunted to extinction. At least according to the old tales. That had been before the Dreadlords had even been founded. "We have seen much of the world."

Talus continued.

"I have always considered travel, perhaps after I retire."​

The Governor said, his voice almost wishful for such a time. He smiled and was about to say something else when a door suddenly opened.

A porter swept into the room, stepping up besides the Governor. The man leaned down and whispered a few terse words, and then nodded as he offered the head of the city a small envelope.

"It seems we've received news from Parliament."​

The Governor said, breaking the seal on the letter and quickly reading the piece of parchment.

"Ah, wonderful. It seems they are sending a group of representatives down from the city proper."​

• Wonder
Zana nodded to herself very slightly at the news the Governor read out then glanced to Talus; they would be here by morning. They would make their report and then they would be off on their way back to their children. The thought eased the ache in her heart that had been there the moment they'd taken Lyra from her arms. It was an agony she could not explain, leaving ones child, and though her mind had been on battles and politics there had always been a section of her thinking of them. Wanting to be back with them.

"It seems your town will have even more reason to put on feasts over the next few days, Governor," she smiled and the man chuckled, folding the letter away and then holding it over the candle; a habit amongst the Guard to hide orders.

"It seems so! How exciting! We do not see much more than trading traffic through here as of late and miss most of the excitements happening in the City."

• Popcorn
Talus nodded his head, as though he was more than glad this city was once again seeing some excitement.

"It will at least liven things up!"​

One of the others piped up, seeming quite pleased. A smile touched his face for a brief moment, though there was no joy within his eyes. These kind of dinners had always been tiresome affairs, and now that he had been gone for so long...

They felt even worse. "Well...our day has been long, Ladies and Lords."

Talus said, clearing his throat.

"If you would not mind, I think it best we de-" Before he could fully finish the Governor looked at him like a beaten puppy.

"B-But you haven't even had desert!"​

• Nervous