Private Tales Papa Don't Take No Mess

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Quite the pessimist for only having lived through one war. Goodness, the new generations were quite soft. Lirienn issued a gentle sigh as they stepped out along a footpath through the rock gardens of the grove castle. The weather was overcast, as it tended to be here, and the smell of the sea lilted in on the breeze like a distant perfume.

"You did not show for tea for several days," Lirienn replied with a small frown, "and admittedly I have grown fond of our talks. When I asked after your whereabouts, the staff said you hadn't left your room, so I thought I would provide a reason to do so."

Last edited:
Ameris had not felt the warm feeling that ran threw him since his mother had died. Lady Lirienn actually cared about him. She did not just want to warm his bed like many women. She had actually grown concerned and she had went out of her way to check on him. It was nice. It was something his mother would have done. Fuck...it was something his mother had done many times.

"I appreciate it. I had a hard week to say the least. Adjusting and all..."

A smile caught her lips, proper as could be. Hard weeks easily turned into hard months, years, decades, ... before one knew it, centuries had passed them by in but a blink.

"You know, I found travel beyond the fae realm to be particularly freeing when I was faced with the uncertainty of many things. Have you seen much of the mortal lands or cities? Perhaps you might join me on my next-" and the woman's saffron gaze stuck upon a tall, dark figure quietly making its way along the same pathway toward them, "voyage. Is that ... a black shuck? I don't think I've seen one in the flesh in ages."

It was, indeed, a black shuck. Dressed in a well-appointed ensemble of deep mahogany rimmed by tasteful gold embellishments, it strode directly toward them without hurry and came to a stop with its hands loosely folded at its back. For a moment the shuck's red eyes peered at the pair as he seemed to take in their appearance and scents, "You are the one they call Ameris?" it questioned the man, "I am here at the request of Triumvir Kor Aren to perform the examination of lineage."

Ameris tried to hid the distaste at the thought of mortal lands and cities. He was from Summer Court. Summer Court did not interact with mortals. He would like to say that he was better than the shallow assholes of his home but he wasn't.

Luckily he was saved from answering or commenting when Lirienn changed subjects to the black shuck that was heading towards them. He raised a single brow and looked at Lirienn. This was quite a coincidence now wasn't it?

"I am Ameris," he replied to the shuck with a shallow nod. "Yes, I am ready for the examination. Lady Lirienn, I believe this is where we part for now. I was not sure when the examiner would arrive..." Ameris leaned down and placed a gentle kiss on the Lady's cheek.

Lirienn leaned ever so slightly into the kiss on her cheek, watching the black shuck with a terse bemusement wedged within her pursed lips, "What a shame-"

"That won't be necessary," replied the shuck as it withdrew a fine stiletto dagger from a sheath at its waist, "I simply require your forearm." The blade gleamed in the afternoon light with a devilish glint.

"Oh," Lirienn remarked, "my goodness. What sort of examination is this that requires a weapon?"

"One that will only take a moment, m'Lady," replied the shuck before plainly gesturing to Ameris, "your arm, Sir."

"Very well," Ameris was fine with Lirienn staying if the shuck was fine with it.

He just turned a small smile on the fae woman when she spoke again. He gently took his arm from hers and started to roll up his sleeve.

"Of course," Ameris held out his arm towards the shuck. He was ready for answers. He needed to know the truth.

Lirienn demured as the younger man withdrew his arm from her grasp, folding her own arms at her front, guarded in such a need for savagery.

The shuck seemed to take note of this and offered her a appeasing glance that did not readily reach his blooded eyes. He reached forward with smaller, slighter hands than Ameris and firmly took the man's arm, turning Ameris' hand palm up and pressing the tip of his dagger to the soft skin along his arm. A quick, direct slice following the length of his arm just before the cusp of his elbow allowed the blood to well freely but not unchecked.

"Oh," Lirienn noised her discontent, lifting her own delicate hand to press her knuckles against her lips, behind which she hid her eagerness of the shuck's assessment. She was watching very intently, however.

Deftly wiping his blade clean on a cloth hanging from his belt, the shuck sheathed the weapon. Without any particular gentleness, the shuck drew Ameris' arm upwards toward his face and slowly inhaled the scent of it. In the same vein as someone enjoying a sweet perfume on a lovely Lady, the shuck's head swilled slightly as he wafted the scent toward him with his free hand.

Lirienn's gaze flickered between the shuck and the man and back again, barely registering a hint of offense when the shuck then licked the welling blood from the cut.

With a faint shiver and roll of his eyes, the examiner released Ameris and stood back. He took from a pocket in his traveling cloak a small phial of red, pulled the stopper, wafted it beneath his nose and poured the contents out into his mouth. After several moments he turned wry look upon the duannan, "Yes."

"Yes?" Lirienn could not help herself but quickly recovered with curious confusion, "Yes what?"

The shuck glanced to her, then set a heady look upon Ameris, "You are the Triumvir's son."

Ameris stayed stoic as the shuck sliced into his arm. He watched the blood well up and the shuck do his thing. The sniffing was what Ameris expected but not the licking and definitely not the thrill that ran up his spine from it.

He didn't speak again until shuck declared the news that Ameris already knew to be true. He was Asemirs son.

"Thank you for preforming the test, it is appreciated and I am glad to know that I was right."
He nodded at the shuck and then turned to Lirienn.

"I suppose I need to go meet with my father now. I am sorry I did not tell you my true intentions for being in the Dusk Court, my Lady."

Lirienn's expression betrayed nothing but the general sense of shock one might expect of someone who was as friendly with the Triumvir as she. Asemir was a known entity across the entire fae realm, regardless of which Court one came from. If his status as a Summer Court royal or his honors as commanding officer for both the Summer and Winter Courts didn't grace the knowledge, then surely his three-thousand-year stint as Queen Mab's consort or his status as the once Valor of the Wild Hunt would. Now he stood as a King within the Dusk Court and a diplomatic face within the various Courts.

Needless to say, it was a well-known fact that Asemir had no heirs or children. So that one had suddenly showed up and was verified his blood would be exceptionally large news indeed. Lirienn liked staying on the forefront of such news and, as such, she was immeasurably pleased with her current strategy.

"You," she said, gesturing to the shuck before it left, "who are you?"

The shuck eyed her briefly, "Aelas, of the Sluagh," and gave a short bow.

"Aelas..." Lirienn stepped back to Ameris' side, lightly taking her grandson's uncut arm, "not a titled Hound then?"

"Not as of yet, m'Lady," Aelas replied.

"Ambition will get you everywhere, pup. Now, your kerchief-" Lirienn gestured to it, "give it here. You have drawn noble blood - the same offense would have your head in other Courts."

Aelas smiled and passed his tongue over his fangs, gaze shifting unapologetically to Ameris, "Perhaps."

"Now," Lirienn presented her open hand to the shuck and something within the Sluagh gave him a start. He blinked, looked at her with a flicker of alarm, then gently offered her the kerchief, "As you command, m'Lady."

"Thank you, you may be on your way." Lirienn waited until Aelas had departed back the way he'd come before turning her attention to Ameris and gently taking up his cut arm to wipe the remaining blood away, "I understand," she replied gently, soothingly, "all too well. Namesakes and bloodrights are such tender, volatile subjects. Won't you let me walk you to him, hm? You wouldn't begrudge me my promenade, would you?"

He drew the blood of a noble. A noble. Ameris was a noble. He had known it but now it was real and verified.

He only half paid attention to the conversation between Lirienn and Aelas. He turned his attention back her once she started to wipe the blood from his arm. He smiled down at her with a soft look in his eyes.

"I would never begrudge a woman such as yourself anything," he said as she finished wiping his arm and they started to walk again.

His whole demeanor had changed now. He seemed to be in his thoughts and trying to figure out what the fuck happened now.

Lirienn was not offended by his quietude as they continued their walk. In fact, she rather reveled in his pensive nature. It meant he was thinking with the correct brain and not stuck on private tea time affairs. There was hope for the boy yet. They meandered through the rock gardens, following the path that lead its way winding about the expansive, temperate grounds.

They found Asemir among a cadre of Dusk Court Guardians and a large collection of Duskirae - all of whom looked careworn and morose. The shadow of sleepless nights, uncertainty, and the weight of responsibility sat visually on the Triumvir's appearance. Among the Duskirae was the dark-skinned, red-eyed Aelas who had just finished providing Asemir with the answer he'd been called in to ascertain. It left Ase looking more weary for the effort as he bid the shuck farewell and watched him leave through the Ley gate.

"There he is," Lirienn leaned against Ameris as they walked and gave his arm a squeeze, "try not to make a hasty decision. This revelation changes everything for you," she smiled warmly up at him, "a new life, if you wanted it."

Asemir's gaze landed on the pair and immediately seemed to age another century in the span of a moment. This was not a good time, but it appeared that anything having to do with this younger man, his son, was never going to happen in a manner that would be agreeable or expected. The Duskirae King heaved a heavy sigh and distractedly turned his attention back to the guard while they approached.

"Take this group to the eastern wing, there should be open family halls on the second level," he spoke to the Guardian nearest him before looking up, "Lady Lirienn, perfect timing, as always."

"Good day, Lord Kor Aren," Lirienn smiled, "I wonder if I might-"

Asemir cut her off much to her chagrin, "I could use your assistance getting some of the Mirlorne refugees settled. Moira is detained back in the west hall with the previous group."

"Well I-"

"The families are quite distressed," he continued with a tired smile, "they could use someone like yourself to help them feel comforted in these trying times."

Lirienn's mouth hung open, the furious edge of denying him at the tip of her tongue which died gloriously and silently behind an airy, "Ah ... but of course," and she turned her gaze to the Duskirae, all lesser fae among the Summer Court but equals within Dusk, "I am happy to assist however I can." She detached herself from Ameris and moved to herd the family of nymphs to their new accommodations.

Asemir looked older than he did a week ago and Ameris had the strange urge to want to help the older man - his father - with whatever was causing him this stress. He looked down at Lirienn and nodded at her words. Yes, this could be a new life and he did want it. The real issue was if he could accept it or not.

Her narrowed his eyes as he watched the exchange between Asemir and Lirienn. They were close it would seem if he trusted her to help refugees get settled. She seemed more than a little terse that she was unable to stay for their conversation but she did leave finally.

Ameris looked at Asemir with new eyes now. He was still wearing the skin of the man that he believed ruined his life but it was different now. Ameris bowed at the waist to his father.

"So it is confirmed that I am your son. You asked what I wanted out of all this last week...I want a father. I want to know the man who gave me life. I want to know about my family."

It was far too late for Asemir to be a father in a traditional sense but it was not like Ameris had a good one growing up.

A grave expression met the younger man as he approached and bowed. Though much improved from his first impression at the Coronation of King Nairth, Asemir believed the man, his rogue son, to have quite a long ways to go before he felt sure he could uphold the family name and legacy. Ameris had no credit or honor to his name, even after spending the majority of his life in Summer. What had he done the entire time there?

Nothing of note?

The thought was displeasing to a man who had spent his entire life groomed, titled, and trusted with greatness. Even if Asemir had ruined countless lives of others, he'd earned rank and respect in spades beyond that. People would know about his exploits for ages to come - but Ameris? The only person who would know he was missing now was himself, and perhaps Lirienn.

"Mmm," the elder responded in kind to the earnest words of his son, brow flattening over his eyes and a frown etched deeply beneath eyes lined by the weight of his duties, "so be it. Come with me."

Asemir turned and motioned for Ameris to follow, then stepped into the Ley gate to make what felt like his hundredth trip today back to Mirlorne Grove.

Last edited:
Ameris fought the urge to speak again. It was really hard for him to hold his tongue as Asemir studied him but he did. He was learning. Slowly. This whole clear mind thing was a blessing and a curse. He was going to try to do his best though. That was all he could do after all. Try.

Ameris nodded and followed his father into the Ley gate. It was not the first time he had traveled by Ley but it was definitely the most sober he had ever been. It was a wonder the Ley had not killed him during one of those trips. Small mercies or a cruel joke, Ameris did not know.

He stepped out of the gate behind his father and surveyed the dying forest that lay around them. What was once, he was sure, a beautiful view was now full of black trees and withered trees. It was heartbreaking and he had never even seen the original land.

"Fucccckkk," he breathed out softly.

"Yes," Asemir said grimly in response to the otherwise crass assessment of the state of Mirlorne. He didn't linger at the Ley gate, but moved forward into the withering forest. The scent of decay and rot lingered on the air in the same manner death and gore did on a battlefield.

"Mirlorne is the capital grove of the Dusk Court, and the oldest holdfast of the Duskirae. It was the home of the founders, Eske and Vashe, for thousands of years." He followed a well worn footpath through the massive ancient growth trees - one littered by dead leaves and branches. "It was very recently beset upon by an unknown form of corruption effecting the progeny of Vashe. All of her children have succumb to it ... hundreds of them. We are trying to do what we can to stop it from spreading to Eske's and evacuating all others."

The smell almost caused Ameris to repeat his previous sentiment but he held it in. He would never forget the smell of death even after years of drinking himself into oblivion. His nose instinctively crinkled even has his mouth listened to his mind for once.

He listened to Asemir explain what was happening here and he felt a strange emotion. Sad? Sorrow? Kinship of losing their home? Empathy...that was new.

"What do you need me to do, As..." Ameris paused and frowned. "What do I call you?"

Well, that was a loaded question. The Duskirae King's step paused mid-stride as he considered this moment and the many ways it could go. Ameris had come seeking a father figure, but the relationship of father and son had to be a mutual thing in his eyes, and he wasn't quite yet ready to open his heart to a total stranger. At the very least the question had been asked rather than assumptions made, which earned the younger man a level point of respect back from the several hundred he'd lost at the coronation.

"You may call me Lord Kor Aren," a title earned and honored. It was what he'd expect any other to call him where they were in a place of paying dues and earning respect. Especially if they were living in his Court. He didn't allow too much time to linger on the subject, and pressed on along the path that would bring them deeper into the heart of Mirlorne, "There are still several families awaiting their turn to evacuate. The rest of them will be going to my grove. I would like you to help me see them safely there and ensure we have not missed anyone."

Ameris was in no way expecting Asemir to say you can call me dad or Asemir but he figured it was better to ask what was preferred. Lord Kor Aren. He could do that.

He said nothing else on the topic as Asemir immediately went into talking about what they were going to be doing.

"This may be a dumb question but it seems that the decay is limited to the lands. Are the residents here in danger as well?"

It may not really be a dumb question since he had no idea how this corruption was spreading or what exactly it was.

Ameris quickly added, "I am here to help, Lord Kor Aren, so just tell me where I am needed." He gave his father a small smile.

A short glance was given over his shoulder at the question. Asemir pondered his response, giving Ameris time to follow up with his assurance that he was here to help, and thought perhaps he was in the presence of what he might've become if he'd never left Summer.

"It is not a dumb question," he replied, "the nature of what Summer regards as lesser fae is largely left ignored by our people." He'd learned a lot about other fae kind after leaving his home court. Winter was rife with all types of fae, but Dusk was abundantly prosperous with them. As a matter of fact, the high fae were rather a minority here. That was something he found he quite liked.

"Much of the Duskirae are fae whose livelihoods are tied to the landscape. The children of Vashe and Eske thrive as the forest does. When the lands grow sick, so too do they. Dryad's are inescapably tied to their heart trees, and so many of them have perished needlessly from this corruption. The Lady Mirlorne is overcome with grief. Those who are capable of leaving require our aid - many of them have never traveled from Mirlorne in their lifetimes without assistance from the higher fae. This was their sanctuary, Ameris, they were supposed to be safe here, always. Now it is their grave."

Ameris listened to the explanation of why these people needed to be evacuated. It was fascinating to say the least. A people who were tied to the land even though they had their own bodies and lives. These people, dryads, were something he would like to learn more about.

"That is terrible. I know how they feel to be forced out of their home and have to start over," his voice was a mixture of sadness and bitterness.

Obviously, his exile was not the same but the results were. Loss and starting anew. Two feelings he knew all too well and hated.

Fuck, he needed a drink.

"We have to help as many as we can," Ameris said to his father. "What first?"

It was weird to give a fuck about a lesser fae but it was not unwelcome.

• Dab
Reactions: Asemir
Asemir did not comment on Ameris' present state of exile. Having left Summer of his own accord, he couldn't even imagine wanting to go back there. Those who had once acted as his friends were quick to drop him when he fell out of favor for his hideous battlescars - regardless of the honorable acts made in the name of his home court to protect them. Even his own mother had come to find him repulsive, and he believed she still did to an extent, but the years since then had opened her eyes and her mind ... allegedly.

He still had no desire to return to Summer so long as his wretched niece was leading it, but he was grateful for his mother's presence in his life again.

All this paled in comparison to having one's life literally ripped away from you, utterly out of your own control. He felt a heavy weight of guilt and sadness for the people of Mirlorne, especially those whose lives had withered and died along with the forest. Having to face the emotional and tangible evidence of this loss in Eske was nearly unbearable.

"We're heading to the Cedar Copse in the south," he replied after a few moments, his boots still calmly and quietly carrying his form through the wilted wood, "to gather the last of the families still waiting. I need you to lead them back through the ley to the Guest Grove of Kor Aren. Many of them will require your direct assistance and it will be very taxing for you to lead them through the ley. Get as many of them as you can and when I return I will help you with the rest."

Ameris looked down in slight shame as his father spoke. He hated to admit that he did not know how to do things but in this case he had to.

"Forgive me, but I do not know how to lead fae through the ley..."

His voice was low and embarrassed as he admitted a failure that most fae probably knew well. He had never cared about anyone enough to help them especially when traveling via ley.

• Bless
Reactions: Asemir
That got Asemir's full attention and the shift of his expression from grave to marked disbelief would not easily be missed. He stopped to turn and look at Ameris, blinking in surprise, "Have you ... never even lead a woman through the ley?" A man as good-looking at Ameris had to have no problem with the ladies ... or men, or whatever it was he was into. Did he never take one through for a date?

"Nevermind, that's not important. It's not difficult to do with other fae, but it does drain your energy. You must lead them by physical contact, and spend your own energy to carry them through. Larger parties should all remain connected by contact - have them hold hands, carry the children, whatever they need to do. Most of them will be passenger to you, some can manage their own traverse but won't know the way. Whatever you do, be mindful of your own energy stores. If you don't have enough to take everyone at once, don't chance it. The consequences can be catastrophic for you and them."

Ameris didn’t go on dates. He drank, he partied, he fucked. He didn’t do nice things or cute things. He definitely didn’t see most women more than once. Looking back now that he was sober made him grimace at how he had lived for so many years. Much like Asemir’s disbelief, Ameris’ feelings about his past were clearly written on his face.

Ameris finally nodded and looked out over the dying lands again. It was even more heartbreaking every single time he took in the sight.

“Is there a particular place I should start or just hit the first family?”

"Start with the largest families. Get as many of them through as you can. Whoever you cannot, I will take later on. They will be waiting for you in the Temple at the end of the path. They will be frightened of you - they do not know your face. When you arrive at the Temple you will stop outside, take a kneel at the entrance, bow your head, and speak the words Sindha. Balir. Harnus. Then wait for the attending Priest to lead them out."