Fable - Ask Midnight Munchies

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first
Houri blinked at the question.

"Of course, why wouldn't I be okay?" she walked over to the hourglass and flipped it over then plopped herself down to Gladys. The chicken gave a warning bwwwaaark but didn't attack her when she began to pet her white speckled feathers. "You have a crush on my brother. Livia has a good sexual partner. We're going to have cake," she smiled.

"Overall a good night."

"Scared you'll singe your eyebrows Liv?"
She liked teasing Liv but had no intention of so blatantly ruining the mood.
Stormy said it was okay but... something didn't FEEL okay about how she said it. Maybe Stormy was just like that about this kind of thing.
"Aheh... okay."
Thraah tried not to think about how easily Stormy could vapourise her.
"So..."
She threw a daring look at Liv, the kind that one gave another person before they poked a bear.
"You know about us but you have seen some action too. I don't think Zaire misses Lumen half as much as he fancies you. Honestly I think he has it for you bad Stormy."
She hopped up on the island counter in the middle of the room and swung her legs. Socked heels bouncing off the lower cubby.
"Should have seen his face when Blondie shoved him to the ground and whisked you away. I thought Zee was gonna go berserk on him."

Livia Quinnick Houri

Liv kept watch on the cake for a moment, happy that the flames Thraah called upon would not ruin their efforts.

"To be fair, Zaire was not entirely sober that night, but he did forget all else in the room once he saw you Houri. Doubt there could be much confusion between yourself and Lumen."

Comfortable once again, Liv hopped back to sit onto the bench, careful not the catch any of the mess left on the bench in their preparation of the cake batter. She leaned over to get her cup of tea, now cooled, and took a sip. She stared at Houri over the rim, eyes alight with mischief. "You can like more than one person, you know? And to catch their attention only for you, you got to do something."

Her advice was something she did not practice, believing her circumstances differed from others in her case and view of affections. Her experiences with love and expressing it were not reliable sources for her to learn from, but Liv was not blind. She knew what it truly looked like, and perhaps Houri and Zaire will find it together eventually, but Livia Quinnick had not figured how that would look for her.

"Anyone else you fancy, Thraah?" Liv asked, not wanting to keep the attention solely on Houri.

Houri Thraah

• Blank
  • Devil
Reactions: Houri and Thraah
"Zaire does not like me," Houri repeated flatly staring at both the girls in turn.

She had gone over every minute of the dance in her head these past few weeks. The way she had danced with Silas, the near fight with Leander, and then the odd dance with Zaire where he had finally seemed to warm to her after this past year of being ignored and avoided... and then the vomit. Every voice had had a different opinion of course but they agreed on one thing; Zaire did not like her in that way. In fact the girls insistence on the matter had made some of them begin to laugh.

Her jaw clenched.

"And I don't think... I can have crushes. I don't know how I would tell if I did."

She had apparently missed the crucial years where everyone else had had that Class.

"Oh my Gods Liv, some of us are content with the one!"
She ribbed back jovialy with a shake of her head as if she was a doll with a loose head. Wow, how many did she expect Thraah to have? How many did Liv herself have on the go? Questions for later.
But curiously Stormy had asked something, kinda, in a Stormy way which Thraah was learning was a little askew but made sense if you listened.
"Well for me having a crush, it's like eh"
She cocked her head to think.
"I just feel good. Warm. Like there's a tiny furnace in my chest warming a house. I'm the house by the way. In this meta... meti... example."
Throwing her thumb at Liv she added
"This one just gets the horn something fierce apparently!"
Her smile was wicked and wide as she winked at Liv.

Houri Livia Quinnick

Livia rolled her olivine eyes, sipping her tea until it was done. She quickly glanced at the hourglass before looking to each Thraah and Houri.

"A crush should feel as if there is live fluttering inside you, that a smile is the easiest thing you could wear in their presence."

Liv cleared her throat, averting her gaze to her lap where her fingers began playing with her robe.

"You only need to be careful with such feelings, because not always will you be able to tell them your feelings and you drift apart, or you do tell them and they do no reciprocate them. That is the crushing feeling to a crush." Her botom lip was bitten down upon, hard, and she took a deep breath before lifting her head and forcing a smile. "Even worse when they do like you back but you know happiness does not last because you are afraid of hurting them."

• Blank
Silence filled the room after Livia's soul-sharing.

You need to say something dear, she'll think she overshared.

She did overshare - we don't even know the kid!

Ahdvi what did we talk about when it came to trying to make friends?

There was a deep rumbling sigh and then silence.

Go on child.

Houri glanced to Thraah for some sort of help but she had a feeling Thraah was far more similar to her in speaking simply. She would have to dig down to the roots, to the small beginnings of Lady etiquette and politeness her mother had tried to govern her in before her enrolment in the Academy.

"Frankly that sounds awful -" - Houri! No! We spoke about thi - "- I think it is a very good thing I have not had a crush then."

At least she'd said it poshly, right?

"STORMY! In front of Gladys?"
Stunned.
Thraah was proper stunned by Stormy's rude reply and now she felt an instinct to jump to Liv's defence, or support, or something and that felt, unnatural to her.
She wracked her head for words.
"That's rough buddy!"
To put simply it was. Thraah didn't dare try to imagine who Liv was so smitten with or why Liv felt they couldn't be together but Thraah didn't have to imagine being forced away from those she loved because it would make life better in the long run.
Her shoulders sagged a bit as she thought of her folks and sibs.
"Listen Liv, I'm not an expert on anything, except Anirball but that's not important right now, so I don't know what's all going on and I won't ask, you're right in saying it's not my beeswax but, you're already unhappy about it. So if there's a chance to be happy with it, mmmmaaybe that's worth trying for."
She didn't know if it made sense, maybe they were already separated by vast distances or even death but she felt badly for the other Initiate.

Houri Livia Quinnick

Livia maintained the tight smile before it melted and settled into a frown.

"It is not that simple. I have worked hard to get where I am today as an Initiate. Three years. It took three years before anyone could tell me what was wrong with my magic." Still she made no sense, but she had not spoken of this to anyone else besides Zana. It had almost festered inside her like most bottled up things would, and now, Livia could feel her control wavering.

"I cannot even share with you what my magic truly is." Frustration rose so easily and Livia slipped from the bench and wandered over to the oven, kneeling onto the cold stone and sneak a glance at their cake, rising perfectly. "Until I have total and perfect control, I cannot indulge in what I want. I have done harm before and I am not going to risk having any more deaths on my conscience." As much as Livia could never truly get along with Thraah, she would not wish ill upon her. Not even Houri. There were many reasons as to why Livia Quinnick kept to herself mostly, but it also felt pathetic to feel wanted all the same.

Perhaps that was why she remained here, with two acquaintances, strangers... why the thought of cake seemed like the best idea.

Livia merely wished to have friends to vent to.

Houri Thraah

• Derp
  • Nervous
Reactions: Thraah and Houri
"What?" Houri scowled in Thraah's direction; she had spoken nothing but the truth! Why did people have a problem with it? She sulked as the pair continued their conversation, petting the silken feathers of Gladys as the bird thrummed her approval. She was considering how easy it would be to keep the bird in her dorm when Livia's final comment had her restraint breaking. She snorted loudly.

"The dead are dead. Unless you plan on hunting down a necromancer there's no point carrying them around on your shoulders. They either deserved it and you did it in the name of duty, or you fucked up and you're learning not to do it again. There's nothing more you can do."

Thraah pinched her eyes closed.
She knew rich folk were weird but this was beyond weird and over the hill into new lands of snake fuckingly bizarre.
"Alright. Stormy, you're not wrong but your timing and tone kinda suck eggs. Liv is hurting and opening up. She needs our support."
Then she turned to Liv and hopped off the counter to give her a big hug from behind while she was getting up from checking the cake.
She'd done it before with her Mother when she was having a hard time.
The warmth from her body rose up to greet Liv and embrace her in its own way.
"I'm sorry this has happened to you but Stormy is right. You can't stay in the past."
She didn't want to think about who Liv had killed with her magic but it explained a lot.
"Gladys, you're doing fine. Stay perfect."

Houri Livia Quinnick @Gladys

Warmth enveloped her from behind and Livia stiffened at the sound of Thraah's voice. This was highly unusual for the two and it showed on her furrowed brows how uncomfortable she thought of this one sided hug. Even still, she bit her tongue and allowed the other to continue and not ruin a moment she knew was Thraah's way of support.

"I only just..." Livia grew quiet, unsure how to explain her thoughts at the moment after all that she had said.

From nearby on the benchtop, Livia grabbed some thick oven mitts and pulled out the cake. She tested it, lightly pressing the cake in the middle to watch it bounce back.

"Cake is ready." She announced softly, slowly rising with it and placing it down to let cool.

Houri Thraah

• Blank
  • Yay
Houri rolled her eyes at Thraah's scolding.

Liv's hurting and opening up - oh get a grip.

That's not very nice, perhaps if Houri here did the same we wouldn't be having to deal with you all the time.

Excuse me?!

Thankfully the cake arrived just before things got too awkward and she leapt to her feet to go inhale the sweet sweet smell of freshly baked dessert. The scent of chocolate flooded the room making her sigh and lean forward across the table to inhale deeper.

"Are we going to ice it?"

• Popcorn
Reactions: Livia Quinnick
Thraah stepped back from Liv to give her space and next to Houri, close so Houri could feel the residual warmth she was maintaining now.
"Yes, there will be icing... At least there should be. I'd like some."
She twisted her torso to stretch it while she spoke.
"Do you know anything about making icing, cause I don't."
A half lie. Thraah had pilfered enough bakeries to know something of the process but not enough to try it.
"But I'm good to eat it now."

Houri Livia Quinnick

Livia turned to look at both Thraah and Houri, stunned to have not thought of icing at all. To her, that seemed the more difficult task when the sweet aroma of the perfectly baked cake was before her. Livia could only hope that Thraah had not left eggshells in the batter, but turned her back to the cake now and consulted the recipe book.

"Melt chocolate... no, no. I am not taking the lead on this one. I am fine keeping my slice plain."

Houri Thraah

• Blank
  • Wonder
"Fuck that," Houri grabbed the recipe book and slid it over to her so she could see what was required to make icing. The icing was always her favourite bit - who wouldn't want chocolate on chocolate? Livia had to just be being modest. Or maybe she wanted to leave sooner to get back to whoever was in her bed.

She better not be thinking of taking some back for them!

For the first time in her life, Houri wished her magic was different. She loved the raging tempests, the scorching infernos and blistering blizzards she could create but right now she wished she had Maz's gifts. Telekinesis would make this all go a lot faster.

"It won't take long, we just need a bit of your fire again Thraah," she explained as she seized a hold of a few chocolate bars and began breaking them up into a pan.

"Hell's yeah!"
Thraah positively beamed at the encouragement as she produced two small notes of flame in her palms and placed them on the side of the pan Houri was frantically breaking chocolate chunks into.
"Hee. You got a wild side Stormy. I'm into it."
The chocolate bits began to melt softly, pooling in that slow thick way it does. Holding the sides of the pan she threw her grin at Livia.
"Come on Liv, the more you help the faster it's done and you can get back to um... Wait, who are you bonking again?"
Thraah knew she hadn't been told, she was only guessing to herself that it was Silas but she couldn't help but wonder and poking at Liv was always fun.

Livia Quinnick Houri

With a roll of her eyes, she turned around to search through drawers, handing a spatula for Houri to use to mix the chocolate so that it did not burn.

"Here. Happy?" She fixed her raised brow at Thraah, narrowing her eyes as if she were baiting Livia in naming names and give a clue to who was waiting in her room. Of course, it should not matter if Livia was seen with particular people, but she would not name him. Not when she felt protective of their privacy, not wanting anyone to ruin it... well, in Livia's mind.

"I will get some plates." Liv cleared her throat and busied herself, setting out three small plates with forks, and a bowl of cream to serve with the cake.

Houri Thraah

• Derp
  • Devil
"Chocolate is the most important thing in the world," Houri explained with solemn sincerity as she stirred the melting bowl of happiness. When Livia brought over a pot of cream she stole a pinch to add to the sauce to thicken it, then sprinkled in some ground coffee beans to make the chocolate flavour really stand out. Once she was satisfied (something she tested by dipping her finger into the bowl and licking it) she poured it with great and masterful care over their cake.

Once she was done it seemed to shimmer.

"Now it's ready," she beamed and snatched up a knife to cut it.

Ah, ah ah, why don't you let your friends do it?

Houri huffed a little but after the slight hesitation she offered up the blade hilt first to Thraah.

"Why don't you do the honours?"

Oh bawls.
"Aheh... Hmm?"
Thraah was quite beside herself. This occasion, this random midnight meeting suddenly held two overwhelming truths for her and she suspected her companions as well.
The first being that this night now held some significant meaning for each of them. What that may be was their own secret but regardless it was plain to even her rough and ready senses.
The second was perhaps the darker of the thoughts.
This would end. They would eat and clear up perhaps but then it would be time to slink back into the darkness, separated.
The shadows seemed deeper. The night colder. Her cell even more like a prison.
This was fun and as always, Thraah was loath for it to end.
"Uuuuh!"
She took the knife and looked at the other girls in turn smiling at them with what she hoped was enthusiasm.
"Sure, thanks Stormy."
Thraah held the knife and gently pressed into the soft form of the cake. Cutting a neat slice from centre to edge which worked out at about a sixth of the total size. She cut another and another, passing each one to Liv to be plated.

Livia Quinnick Houri

• Yay
Reactions: Houri
This was dumb.

Livia dutifully held out a plate for the three slices Thraah cut up, and she would not voice how impressed she was at the skill used to get even cuts. They made the cake, now they were about to eat it and be on their way... at least she hoped that was what would happen.

But there had been that nagging thought, that need to speak up and say something.

To say that she actually enjoyed this evening. It was over an hour since she had left to get those biscuits, and she had no doubt Silas would have nodded off by now, thinking she had gone for a walk or something and not have a mini meltdown to two Initiates she barely knew while making a chocolate cake.

They had all been quiet as they ate the cake, the chocolate being the perfect medley on her tongue and Liv could admit they all did such a great job for their first time baking.

"I... am not a fan of chocolate cake... but I think I may request this for my next birthday." Innocent and unassuming, she was making small talk to fill the silence. As if she did not want to be the one to end the odd timing of being in the kitchen as the other two.

Houri Thraah

• Derp
  • Wonder
"Me too," Houri hummed with satisfaction as she the last forkful in her mouth and savoured it. She was already eyeing up what was left and contemplating a second, maybe even third, slice. Truth be told, Houri would have eaten it all if she had been alone and then still felt as though her throat had been slashed. The healers here had told her it was a natural lasting effect of being starved for over a year and malnourished before that. They'd assured her it would ease with the passage of time, but for now there was a bottomless pit where her stomach should be. She only seemed to realise she had had too much when she was sick.

"Why limit it to birthdays though? We should do this every week!" Houri had completely missed the subtleness of Livia's hint, but she'd ended up at the same point anyway. Somehow. "Oooh we could do lemon and blueberry next week."

Thraah almost choked on her bite and spat the answer out.
"Mexked veek? fure!"
She chewed on and had another piece before swallowing while she looked pointedly at Liv.
She didn't know if Liv was aware but she held an awful lot of power in that tiny mouth of hers.
*Come on Liv, you'll get a month of no ribbing if you say yes.*
Thraah tried to will her intent upon Liv while she absently took the last piece of cake on her plate and scoffed it. Chewing with her mouth open.

Houri Livia Quinnick

• Yay
Reactions: Houri
Fuck.

To have Thraah give her the deciding factor made Liv feel... included.

She had not quite finished her slice of cake when she placed it onto the benchtop and stared at it in thought.

"Alright. Next week. We are not using the blueberries the Academy has. They are too bitter. I will write to home and ask for our berries to be delivered for next... Wednesday? Seven days from now?" It felt oddly right to convene on such a day... or rather, night.

It also meant she could expect these future occurrences and ensure her bed was empty without anyone waiting on her.

Houri Thraah

• Yay
Houri wriggled with delight. Cake every week! What would they do after lemon and blueberry? Perhaps she could ask her sister for that spiced rum and teach the others her grandmothers rum and raisin cake. That had always been so good at Yuletide.

"It's a deal. On Wednesday we eat cake," she hopped off her stool and plucked another slice of cake from the main plate. This time, however, she sprinkled a bit of the sponge on the floor for Gladys who eagerly begun to peck at the crumbs. Was chocolate bad for chickens? Surely not, chocolate couldn't be bad for anyone. "Do you want to take some back for your..." Houri faltered. What was the right word to describe whoever was in Livia's bed? She knew what her mother would call them, but Houri was certain that wasn't a nice word.