Open Chronicles Merchant of the sands

A roleplay open for anyone to join

Nasir Zyltris

Character Biography
Link
As usual, the sun bore down cruelly upon the sands of Amol-Kalit, and even more so upon those wandering them. Though, it was getting closer to evening, as only half the sun could be seen upon the horizon as it seemed to sink into the earth itself. Though, overall, Nasir had to note that it was an overall peaceful day. No bandits, no sandstorms, just the peaceful whispering of the wind blowing through his cart which his camel pulled. He walked alongside the camel instead of riding it, as the camel needed to conserve energy in order to pull the cart, and the merchant had no problems with walking.

Eventually, he pulled the reigns of his camel, signaling it to stop. "That's enough today..." He muttered. He looked back, and two Rammal Zabal peeked their heads out of the dirt. He knew they meant him no harm. At least not this time. They were waiting expectantly, as the creatures in this area always do. His parents had been the givers of water for over 100 years now at this point. They recognized the red tarp on his cart. He takes a shovel out of the back, and begins digging a hole a few feet or so from where he plans to set up camp. Once the hole is dug, he places the tarp into the hole. With that set up, he rolls the medium sized water jug out of his cart, and tips it over so that it dumps into the hole, It doesn't sink into the sand due to the tarp, and a puddle, a few feet deep, is made for drinking water. He then gets to work setting up camp. He unharnesses his camel, so that it may lay down and rests, and unloads some wood from his camping supplies. After a few attempts, the campfire lights with some tinder. He then took a sea. He'd sleep in the back of the cart when he was ready for bed. For now, he wanted to stare into the flames and think. By now, as was routine, Rammal and various other creatures were gathered at the makeshift watering hole, happy to have their hydration, which made Nasir thankful for their protection. He knew not to step near them, or they would get defensive. But that would mean anyone else that approached the camp would have the same issue as well unless he properly guided them into his campsite. Nasir took off his scarf so he could deal with the heat of the fire, and sighed. This wasn't going to be a short journey.

• Yay
Reactions: White Swallow
The sun was always heavy on the shoulders of men, yet the cries of nightsingers mocking the deaths of their companions were heavier on the heart.

A small Warband of the Shtakmat state rode through the dunes like a little row of ants, their black-painted shields with white birds made them look like a slow-moving flock against the ever-darkening sky.
Their steeds of many overlapping legs carried them far. but every traveller required their due rest no matter their walk in life.

»A waterhole, « Peyam, a soldier of the unit rode closer to the White Swallow, pointing out at a darkned speck in the distance. It was attracting various beasts of medium and small stature, there might not be a lot, but their horses were well deserving of water for their hard work.
The unit's direction slowly shifted towards a new destination.

The few Rammal that had gathered at the watering hole began grunting and stomping with protest as the warband came close. Though they soon decided the numbers were too big, and they scattered, burrowing away into the desert. This, of course, draws the merchant's attention. He stands up from his spot at the campfire as he turns about to face the watering hole. His eyes narrow, and he pulls an eyeglass from the satchel at his side to observe the approaching band. He instantly relaxes a bit. A warband of the Shtakmat state. If he were with an aptati tribe, he would perhaps be in trouble due to his people's renown as bandits. Though, he was simply a wandering merchant at the moment, one that happened to be an elf. As long as he was polite, he would be fine, and he would get protection from bandits in the night. It didn't get better than that!

As the group approached, the merchant waves, his campfire casting a shadow to make his presence known. "I see you've come across the watering hole I've made. I use a specially weaved tarp." They would notice it, the tarp which keeps the water from sinking into the sand. Useful. The merchant making his way towards them looked young, though that was the average for elves. Tan skin, angular features, white tattoos. Definitely an aptati. He wore robes of cyan and bluish green, with tints of red. A more distinct coloring. Merchant had to dress to impress!

"Name's Nasir. Feel free to make use of the hole, and to sit by the fire if need be. Since there's so many of you, I can do a discount on jerky sales. No doubt you consume a lot of provisions on your journeys." He states as they finally arrive before his camp. Upon their arrival, he gives a friendly bow. "I also stow other things if you're looking to protect yourself...or deal some damage."

White Swallow

• Haha
Reactions: White Swallow
Nasir Zyltris

The warband closed in before coming to a halt, they seemed to acknowledge the rather kindly gesture from the elf with some nods or reluctant waves from the back of the line.
»We are, the warband of the White Swallow, « remarked Morad, who was second in command.
They could easily bully themselves a position in any watering hole, but such was not the Sahiyi Henremdi way, whose worshippers prize peace above all.
The troop began to dismount and let their horses and the few camels that came with them drink their fill.

From a quick glance, the elf had plenty of provisions, too much to be a lone traveller. But he proved his nature as a huckster of goods. The White Swallow remained on his mount, mulling over the offer, but he did not consider a thing until a porter of the troop remarked on the supply.
»Fletchings, if you have them.«

The merchant nods enthusiastically. "Fletchings? I've got plenty." He makes his way over back to the cart, and opens the side of it like a cabinet, revealing items stocked on a shelf. Bigger stuff is in the back of the cart, but minor objects such as fletchings are stored on the shelf installed into the side of the cart for convenience. "I also sell arrows. Expliding arrows to be exact. They have little fuses you can light before firing them off. They make a nice boom." He states, putting his arms in the air to emphasize the 'boom'. He then motions to a jar full of fletchings, which are on the same section of the shelf as the arrows. "I'll offer discounts for buying in bulk. Oh yea, I also have these, been looking to get rid of them."

He scurries around to the back of the cart, and pulls something form a box. Some sort of water skin, though the top is a bit weird. "Here we go." He holds it up so they all can see. "They don't work as well here as they do in other places, but it's better than nothing. These water skins collect moisture as you travel. So you'll always have a little bit of water for an emergency."

White Swallow

The White Swallow watched Nasir move between his stock. »I offer two riya for the fletchings, however, we are not interested in anything else.« Especially when they were quite distrusting of inventions that may or may not work when being sold so enthusiastically.

»Are you not afraid of the wolves. « He casually remarked as he dismounted and let his mare drink her fill as well. » If you've come from Mraaan or are going there, it's a long time before there's any station of safety in either way.«
Everything in the sands was treacherous and there were three truths to Amol'Kalit, the sun, the twin moons and war.
Nobody was safe alone. Especially when Maraan served as a popular trade hub that saw and departed long caravans on a daily basis.

One of the soldiers transferred some of the fire from the campfire and moved it elsewhere, where he created a small, slow-burning and weak frame that would last for a long time. Over it, he assembled a pot and added water and various herbs to go with what appeared tea leaves.

Nasir Zyltris

"Two Riya will do nicely." He grins, holding out one hand to take the coin, while the other holds out the jar of fletchings for White Swallow to take. "Nothing else then? Bummer. Oh well." He chuckles, taking he coin as they take the fletchings. He flips both coins in the air, grabbing them both at once with one hand. "Profit is profit." He then stows the coins away in his pouch. "Tell me if you do end up with interest in anything else. I recently finished a batch of exploding arrows. An old abtati black powder recipe."

He was about to turn around to head back to his fire when white swallow asked the question, he turns around with a raised brow. "Fear the wolves? No need when they are the ones who welcome me. My family has traveled these lands for 200 years, me having traveled these lands for fifty years myself. For all those years." He gestures to the watering hole he made. "We've used these tarps to make watering holes. When the wildlife has come to acknowledge us as the givers of water, they leave us be. Not only that, but they come to partake of the water and rest. Therefore, bandits will not approach when the wildlife are drinking of my water. Saves money since I don't have to hire mercs, and the watering hole also attracts people like you." He gestures to white swallow. "No bandits would dare wrong a warband. Water binds all life, friend, and when you give it, no one will try to wrong you, and some will defend you, be it purposefully or by circumstance." He looks quite young, but it seems he's sharp as a knife.

White Swallow

Receiving the arrows, he offered them to the warband's main porter before giving his attention to Nasir Zyltris once more. »I believe this is all. Thank you.«

Of course, he wasn't being literal with the wolves, but he supposed Nasir was right in his own account. A clever and sharp mind is usually more important in evading danger than pure might or numbers alone.
Yet still, the way he spoke of water sparked a question in him.
»Are you and your family perhaps followers of Hushur? Hushur, the sea and the sweet water

"Mmmm, my parents have always respected the gods, but we never really did any worshipping for following." He shakes his head. "We were too busy travelling, following the trail of profit. I'm much the same way as they are, however, those facts about water are the simple facts of life. Gotta drink it to live, therefore, you have yourself in quite the cushy position if you are the one who dispenses it, no?" Typical merchant, not overly religious, but he's got pragmatism in spades.

"Soo, any interesting news travelling the dunes as of late? Scoops? News of trade? I'll pay you for any info that's particularly juicy." He idly leans on his cart while he speaks, a brow raised.

White Swallow

The white Swallow murmured quietly, stepping away from Nasir and towards his men before turning around.

»Join us for some tea, perfect opportunity to share news of the dunes. But we'll take your word for it. «
The tea brewed was a variant of the guardsman's tea, thus it was a mixture made out of black tea pellets and flavoured with anise, brewed slowly over hot coals.
The scent of the herb added to the tea was already pungent.
Nasir Zyltris

He catches the tea's scent easily. The pungent smell made him a bit nervous, he'd never had guardsman's tea, and always hated supremely strong flavors. But it never hurts to try anything, and it would be impolite to refuse. He speaks as he follows the white swallow to their fire where the tea is being brewed. "I've noticed a lack of bandits and other vagrants in the area as of late. I assume it's because you're wandering around the area, yes? Most are smart enough to give trained forces a wide berth."

He takes a metal can out of his jacket. It seems to be filled with some sort of cracker. He pops one in his mouth as he waits for the tea. "I can't wait to get to town, have myself a nice big...I dunno. Something with meat. Definitely a stew." He nods to himself.

White Swallow

The desert was very different from the forest. The sun bit harshly at every bit of exposed skin, seeming closer than it ever had even above the canopies to the east. The dryness of the air choked and cracked, and the sands blew fierce. Adaptability was infused into Fauna's very being, and they had found a suitable shape amongst the threads of life that were densest here, yet some needs remained constant.

Water. Food. Shelter. The sand cat padded silently over the dunes. Its eyes cut through the murky twilight to the singular glowing fire in the distance. Even from here they could smell the fresh water, smell the provisions within that cart. After a time the figures came into view. Many figures, with horses and weapons. The Civilized... though how deeply they could not say. These people seemed more like the lone travelers that sometimes wandered too deep into the woods, the ones who did not take too much... but such things could not be certain.

The sand cat was easily four times that of a housecat, with tan striped fur and large bat-like ears. It approached without a sound, and then a voice sounded within the minds of those present.

|May I share your water?|

»We have naught but pain for them, so they attack us not, but we seek them out if we must. «
The brew slowly took in colour, but it's far more potent in strength the longer it was brewed.

The White Swallow poured some tea for Nasir in a simple but small earthware cup.
It would invigorate the body, help with keeping watch long after the night had taken hold of the world.
»In the seret, only a clash of warring bands may disrupt your trade, but even now, there is a short time of peace, even between Amir Farid, Amir of Halaqas and the Mulay of Jaleyaana. You may potentially profit from the eased relationships between the seret holds. Ah, but Kalik knows how long this truce will last before tariffs are imposed again.«
His eyes slowly shifted to the frame of a feline as if a voice entirely within his head came from it.

• Yay
Reactions: Fauna
"Someone's gotta mop." He states in regards to cleaning bandits from the land. When the tea is given to him, he gives a bow of his head before sipping from the cup. "You know of any nearby ruins? A place I can make use of? I search for magical stuff, shinies, things people will buy."

"I've noticed things have been quiet lately, in terms of the warring. I've found myself delivering seeds and grain instead of blades and bows. I'm a stock transferer on the side when business is slow. When the tarrifs start up again, I plan to head further, out of the deserts. I've always wanted to see a forest." Another sip of tea is taken, and his ear twitches as he hears a voice in his head. The elf turns his head about to look at the beast. He looks a bit surprised, but not afraid.

"Ah, go ahead. It's why I poured it there. Tell me, being of the sands. What is it that allows you to speak?"

White Swallow
Fauna

Fauna slowly lowered their head to the water and took a healthy time lapping at its surface. The desert cat's body was excellent at conserving precious fluid, but even so the small pool was the most glorious and refreshing thing. They finished and sat up, licking the spare droplets from their whiskers before replying.

|Thank you.|

"Tell me, being of the sands. What is it that allows you to speak?"

|I hold a connection to all creatures, I suspect this is how I may speak through them.| A pause and a tilt of the head. |I am Fauna, and although I walk these sands I am not of them. I am of the forest, a place to which I seek return.| They noted the weapons amongst the White Swallow's party, items of cold steel. Still, they did not raise them at the mental voice, nor did they speak up.

|What manner of man are you?| They asked Nasir, rather abruptly. He smelled like civilization... yet he was removed. He carted goods of men yet offered freely to beasts.

A curiosity.